Transcript

The 'Lost' Hour: Season Premiere

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Staff
Thursday, January 22, 2009; 3:00 PM

Has "Lost" got you a mite confused and ready to hurl at the next mention of smoke monsters? Or do you have the fate of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love square all figured out? Who got Scooby Dooed this week? Are you a new viewer, adrift on an unfamiliar isle or an old hand ready to bare knuckle some quantum physics? In either case, we're here for you and armed with more mediocre puns and pop culture references than a hunky con man can shake a stick at.

This Story

Post.com "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney will attempt to get to the bottom of these matters every Friday. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

Read the analysis of Wednesay evening's two-hour season premiere, then continue on to the discussion transcript below.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com.

For more episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

-----

Falls Church, Va.: How can any story that involves time travel not feature a flux capacitor?

Jen Chaney: Really, is there a better question with which to begin this chat?

It's very possible not to involve flux capacitors. In fact, many TV time travel stories have not, as Liz and I pointed out here. I like Marty McFly as much as the next person, but I really dig the time travel paths "Lost" is taking right now. Perhaps too sci-fi-ish for some, but I get a weird kick out of having the brain cells blown straight out the back of my head.

Don't you, Liz?

Liz Kelly: I do. I had so many moments during the premiere that hit me right in the "Lost" sweet spot -- there was a lot there and the show is undeniably way more powerful now that the writers have an end date to work back from.

I like the time travel, stuff, too -- though. That initial moment where we see Daniel Faraday show up in a Dharma uniform back in 1973. Total chills. Not many shows can pull that off.

Look out for the dishwasher knives! : The only thing better than bada-- Sayid is passed out Sayid in silent-film comedy situations as they dress him up and chuck him on the sofa.

Jen Chaney: Actually, you know what that whole scene reminded me of? "Pulp Fiction." Hurley is drenched in blood/ketchup, wearing a ridiculous T-shirt and showing up at a nice house with a dead/unconscious man in tow. Tell me that wasn't just me. The fact that Tarantino's movie also featured crazy chronology and interconnected characters makes the connection that much stronger.

And I liked that it was immediately followed by Ben pulling his mysterious suitcase out of a vent, which reminded me of "No Country for Old Men."

Liz Kelly: Yes, totally agreed on the "No Country" reference, Jen. That had to be a conscious decision on the part of LindeCuse.

I liked the whole "Weekend at Bernie's" Sayid storyline.

Herndon, Va.: The general theory going around is that Mrs. Hawkings is Daniel's mother, and Desmond is going to go meet her in Oxford.

But they just showed Mrs. Hawkings with Ben in LA.

Liz Kelly: Or was Ben in Oxford?

Jen Chaney: I am going with Ben being in Oxford. But how did he get there so fast? Hmmmm.....

Los Angeles: I just want to take this opportunity to thank the producers, writers, director and wardrobe people for giving us a topless Sawyer for the better part of two hours. I don't really understand what the hell all that time-space crap is, but if it means more time without clothes for James, I'm in.

Jen Chaney: Amen. As I said in this morning's blog post, Faraday is clearly well-versed in complicated scientific theory, quantum physics, what have you. But it takes an exceptionally smart man to refuse to give Sawyer a shirt.

Liz Kelly: "Intelligence" is one possible explanation.

Woodbridge, Va.: A clean-shaven Jack is a fabulous thing, but Desmond needs to get back to the Island that razors forgot. He doesn't look bad, he just doesn't look as goooood. Just sayin', brotha.

Jen Chaney: Well next week, he starts looking reeeaaal good. Just sayin right back, brotha.

Liz Kelly: This might be the appropriate moment to recognize Josh Holloway for his continued shirtless contributions to the show.

Jen Chaney: I understand his pecs will receive a special achievement Emmy Award this year. Well deserved.

Oh yeah, Libby says hi : The greeting from Libby was perhaps the creepiest part of seeing Anna Lucia again. I also thought the hilarious Harry Potter-Mrs. Hawking moment was a bit odd, but I'll take what I'm given.

My Question: Did we know who Ben's friend in the butcher shop was? Have we seen her before?

Also is this season now going to be a combination of Locke/Islanders leading up to his demise and the Oceanic Six going back to the Island?

Jen Chaney: We know that Ben's friend is Jill and that she is a character we have not seen before. But what exactly her dilly is, I don't know.

I suspect we will find that out. And to answer your last question, yes, my sense is this season is devoted to getting the Oceanic Six back to the island, while the final (sniff) season will focus on what happens once everyone is back. And I do hope that means everyone. Bring out'cher dead, "Lost" writers: Charlie, Ana Lucia, Libby, Shannon, Boone (you knew that was coming)...

Liz Kelly: I can't believe Jen waited this long to mention Boone. We're already nine minutes into the chat.

Jen Chaney: Sorry, I'll be faster next time.

(Intro from next week's chat: "Hi (Boone) and welcome to this week's 'Lost' Hour!")

Liz Kelly: That's better.

Lahaina, Hawaii: Hey Liz and Jen! So I'm a relatively new Lostie, my girlfriend converted me in September. We've bought every season on DVD, and watched one (or four) episodes a night from then till now in preparation for the new season. So I have a couple of "Am I crazy/Jigga wha!?" questions:

1) The lady (nun style) who Ben talks to. Is that the one that Desmond buys the ring from? Or do we know her from somewhere else? And PS, why the old school computer, I thought she existed in the now.

2) Do we know why Candle/Halliwax changes his name in every other orientation video?

3) My theory: Sawyer and the other survivors launch the fire arrow attack on themselves. Two reasons why: 1) To kill Neil (who?) 2) So they don't die from brain hemmorages (time displacement style)

You guys rock!

Liz Kelly: 1) Yes, we think that woman is one in the same. Ms. Hawking. Which would make her Daniel Faraday's mother. As for the computer -- maybe it performs a very specific purpose that can't be replicated. Who knows. Remember the hatch computer was also a '70s-era model.

2) Let me ratchet your confusion up another notch. Marvin Candle is also known as Dr. Pierre Chang and Dr. Mark Wickmund, in addition to Dr. Edgar Halliwax. My guess is that he was meant to be a different person to different viewers of the tapes.

3) I don't know that I agree about that arrow attack. We know from the beginning of the night that there was, at least at one time, a "hostile indiginous population" on the island. We know this because we watched Marvin Candle record a video message about the Dharma station The Arrow (arrow!), which was tasked with defending the Dharmas.

Santa Cruz, Calif.: Overly long comment:

Faraday said that time is like a street...we can move forward and backward but we can't take a new street. He said that what happens has always happened (with the possible exception of Desmond). If his explanation is true, then the island always disappeared at that exact moment in time and space. But in order to disappear from that point, it must first exist at that point which implies it existed at that point in the past.

We know that the White Flash has physically displaced the on-island Losties (as opposed to just moving their consciousness as happened to Desmond and the rat in Faraday's lab) and while they are physically jumping to different points in the island's history, there is no evidence to suggest that island has physically moved to a new location.

Perhaps the island exists in its own pocket of time and its existence is like that of an electron...it always exists at all possible points within its orbit and only acquires a specific location in time and space when it is observed by an outside actor. If the Losties are the outside actors (as in, conscious minds created outside the island's time/space bubble) then their connections to the primary time/space continuum act as an anchor making the island stable and therefore accessible.

If the white flash is like a metaphysical shrug that disturbs the perceptions of anyone who is not part of islands fundamental substance (meaning the Others, being native to the island are unaffected), then the island itself would cease to have a specific location until such time as those perceptions were reattached to the larger space/time continuum.

Once disturbed, the Losties on the island need a constant to anchor themselves, they need a reference point that they can use to reattach their personal timelines, and as the Oceanic Six were off-island when it vanished, their return would allow the on-island Losties to reassert their perceptions of time and the island would be locked into existence at the point in the space/time continuum when the group was reunited. If true, this would mean that the island doesn't actually disappear, its still there but access to the island (which would include light, sound and other sensory information) has been disrupted. Access will reappear at some point in history and access points probably leapfrog throughout time whenever the wheel is turned.

At some point, the wheel was/is/will be turned and access to the island will reappear at the point when the Losties crashed, but that doesn't mean that it has to reappear at this point after this shift.

If the island exists in a bubble outside the regular time/space continuum, then everything that is part of the island (like the Others) are unaffected by regular time (hence the no aging).

As for who built the wheel and the four toed statue? The most likely answer is some sort of extra dimensional beings but I really hope it wasn't crystal skulled aliens.

Jen Chaney: Remember back when we all read the first paragraph of this question? Man, those were the days.

That was an overly long comment, but I posted because you're getting at the potential answer to an important question: Why is it so important for the Oceanic Six to get back to the island? Just because Ben says so? Because Kate needs to make out with Sawyer again?

It may be that the Six are the equivalent of the island's Constant. It needs contact with all of them in order to stabilize and stop skipping around (the equivalent of the island's nosebleed).

Clearly I need to re-read "A Brief History of Time."

Arlington, Va.: Great episode! But do you think it was TOO much? I think there was a little info overload tonight. That's not normally a problem, but with a show that's dependent on so many details, it's getting hard for me to remember everything.

Liz Kelly: There was definitely a lot packed in last night's premiere, but luckily you've got our weekly analysis and chats to help keep everything straight and figure out the hidden meanings.

But I do agree, the show is turning into a bit of a master's thesis. Our editor asked if she was going to need a Ph.D. to edit this year's analyses. The answer: Maybe.

But I do think you can invest as much or as little as you like in the show. You can go along with the general gist, get into the mechanics of it or go full on nerdy and start scanning the Lost easter egg sites.

Jen Chaney: Liz, don't promise them we'll keep everything straight and find hidden meanings! I was just planning to make Boone references and smoke monster jokes for the whole season. Great. Now we actually have to work.

As for whether it was too much, yes, there was a lot going on. But that's the reason I love the show. Our brains are never idle while watching.

And personally, I can never have too much "Lost"-aliciousness.

What about Marvin Candle?: It was great to see Dr. Marvin Candle, wasn't it. He sure has a 'tude, doesn't he? I think that whole thing with the captain's wheel emerging from the rock is corny. I keep expecting Cap'n Crunch to prance out or Lovey Howell. The less scenes with that wheel the better.

Liz Kelly: Well, then you're really going to be put off by the unicorns in next week's show.

Jen Chaney: Not to mention the cameo appearance by the Care Bears who, it turns out, are distant but adorable cousins of the island's polar bears.

Beltsville, Md.: Don't forget that Mrs Hawking was also in the photograph on the desk of the Abbot at Desmond's monastery.

Liz Kelly: Righto.

Hurley at Home: Am I the only one who found Hurley's scenes with his dad to be tedious? "What's going on Hugo?" "Have you seen the news?" "No, I haven't seen the news. What's going on?" "The police are after me." "Why are the police after you?" "Um, I don't know." "You don't know?" "No, I don't know." "How can you not know?" "Um, I don't know." Enough already! I can see drawing out tension but this was inane.

Liz Kelly: Yes -- I actually did, too. Having Cheech Marin dumped into the middle of a tightly written fast-paced show somehow tripped it up a bit. I'm not sure Jen would agree, though...

Jen Chaney: Really? You didn't enjoy watching Cheech put caviar on his sandwich and try to catch some "Expose"?

I thought the scenes with Hurley's dad were necessary for pacing reasons. We needed a break from all that time travel processing and action. I mean, as awesome as it might be, people can't fall on dishwasher knives in every scene.

More importantly, though, Hurley's father expressed doubt about his son's sanity. And that's in keeping with the show's perpetual theme of troublesome relationships with fathers. Their exchanges also stood in stark contrast to the response of Hurley's mom, who -- despite having just listened to her son prattle on about Others and islands disappeared -- believed him and was truly there for him.

Also, can I just say that I laughed out loud when Ben showed up and Hurley threw that Hot Pocket at him?

Liz Kelly: Okay, I have to admit the Hot Pocket scene was good. I was hoping it was a shout out to Jim Gaffigan, who does a great stand-up bit about Hot Pockets.

And I get Jen's point about the pacing -- but I think it could've been cut a bit shorter.

Did I mention that I loved it when Hurley's mom says: "Why is there a dead Pakistani on my couch?"

Jen Chaney: Which again, reminded me of a line from "Pulp Fiction" that I can't repeat because it contains an offensive word. Hopefully someone else out there knows what I mean.

Burlingame, Calif.: I suppose that's why its science fiction, but WHO keeps giving Sawyer pants -- it has been five years since the last trip to the GAP, and those jeans are rank history by now -- just a thought (I mean he did step on a thorn or something because he has no shoes.)

Liz Kelly: Remember they did have a plane full of suitcases. How else could Kate turn up in a new Abercrombie ensemble each week.

Did anyone else notice that Kate's hair (if it really is her hair) grew about 10-feet over the hiatus?

Jen Chaney: Liz, you waited 29 minutes to pick on Kate about something. Bravo.

Liz Kelly: Well I was thinking about it for at least 30 minutes before I typed that sentence.

Lost needs an encyclopedia: I have a JRR Tolkien encyclopedia at home (yeah, it's nerdy, but it's only one volume, okay, not a multi-volume set). You and Jen could come up with the same thing for Lost. Maybe we could call it a "reference manual," which seems a little less strange.

Jen Chaney: Well, it already has Lostpedia. Does that count?

Liz Kelly: Yeah, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Not even the frozen donkey wheel.

Bennettsville, S.C.: Was Charlotte born on the island? Is she perhaps a long lost offspring of one of the hostiles or Dharmas?

Jen Chaney: Well, it would certainly seem that she was born there.

And that's another reason why I am starting to think the theory that the baby in the beginning was actually Myles and not Jin is more plausible. All three of our freighter folks would have previous connections to the island in that case. (Except for Lapidus, but maybe he is connected, too.)

I still like my Jin theory, too, though. I'm torn between two "Lost" explanations, feelin' like a fool...

Liz Kelly: I'm leaning more towards the Miles explanation. He and Candle have many mannerisms -- including an acid tongue -- in common. Like father, like son.

Atlanta: If they all have to go back to the island, then doesn't Frank (the chopper pilot) have to go back, too? He was on the raft that Penelope's boat picked up. Or is he exempt because he was from the freighter?

Liz Kelly: No, no, no -- he's exempt because he was "Lawnmower Man."

Seriously -- we haven't been fully let in yet on what the rules (such as they are) may be for who needs to return, who is affected by the island's time-hopping and ultimately who will benefit from it's return to a stable place in space and time.

Oddly, we have several constiuencies that are seemingly working against each other while all working toward the same goal: Ben and the Oceanic 6, Widmore, Sun, Alpert, Daniel Faraday.

Jen Chaney: Yes, everyone wants to go back to the island, but their motivations are completely different. And could cancel each other out, depending on the actions they take.

St. Marys, Ga.: Do you all think that Daniel Farady went back to Desmond for more selfish reasons - i.e. he saw what was happening to Charlotte and needed to check in with his constant? And why didn't Desmond recognize him?

Keep up the good work!

Liz Kelly: Absolutely. I think Daniel's schoolboyish devotion to Charlotte will be the bump that pushes our Losties on to a different street (to use Faraday's analogy) after all. He knows he is going off the map by banging on the hatch door. Hence the "please let this work, please let this work."

And Des didn't recognize him because he hadn't met him yet.

Jen Chaney: But he HAD. They technically met when Faraday was still at Oxford, which woud have been pre-island for Des, no?

But he didn't remember it then either. Yeah, the Desmond thing is a wee bit confusing.

Liz Kelly: Good point.

Also, when Des wakes up from his dream on the boat and tells Penny that what woke him up wasn't a dream, but a memory -- I was a little skeptical. It seems to me that if Desmond had spent years in that hatch alone pressing a button every 108 minutes, that an instance of such dramatic human contact would have made a huge impression on him. In other words, he would have remembered it all along.

Jen Chaney: But if he's special and the blast of electromagnetism did something to his brain -- I would argue it reset his clocks in some sense, since the dude was running around naked (more hardcore nudity!) at the beginning of season three -- then maybe it wouldn't. Maybe his sense of time and memory is no longer linear and traditional.

Alexandria, Va.: If 2 hours of topless Sawyer is the price for getting a cleaned up Kate and a few shots of Charlotte's amazing teal eyes, than it's worth it to this guy.

washingtonpost.com: Wait -- a fully dressed Kate is the equivalent goodness of a shirtless Sawyer?

Liz Kelly: Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Cleveland: Sun was one of the biggest mysteries for me. What the heck is she up to? Who's side is she on? Please discuss.

Also, if she goes back to the island, does her daughter get to/have to go? I anticipate a heart-wrenching scene if daughter has to stay in Seoul...

Liz Kelly: Sun is on no one's side at this point. Jin's supposed death has sent her into a tailspin of revenge-seeking and she's out to take down Ben Linus, no matter the collateral damage.

It was actually painful watching her so easily manipulate Kate. I'm no Kate fan (as Jen knows), but she -- and Aaron -- deserve to be endangered just to further Sun's sick ends.

Liz Kelly: That said, I have a feeling she's going to snap out of it the second she realizes Jin may not be irretrievably lost.

Jen Chaney: You meant don't deserve to be endangered, right? Even when you're trying to be nice to Kate you can't even do it!

And I agree. The loss of Jin has sucked out Sun's heart. She's a shell of herself. If she realizes Jin may be alive -- and I feel almost certain that he is and that she will -- the emotion will return.

Liz Kelly: Oh -- yes yes -- DON'T deserve it.

New York, NY: I am trying to decide...really I am hoping and praying...that there is internal consistency to the writers notions of time and travel.

Alpert gave Locke the compass in a time after the plane had fallen. Yet when the island next moved, to a time before the plane fell, Locke still had the compass...One could argue that this was impossible because Locke had not yet received it.

Do you find this aggravating? Are you willing to buy an explanation such as "objects on a person, move with the person." I don't like that idea much, but maybe I need to live with it.

Liz Kelly: I think we're going to have to buy into that theory. Otherwise Locke would have had an intact leg once the island skipped back in time, too.

And -- my god, I'm just realizing the implications -- Sawyer might have found himself suddenly wearing a shirt. The horror.

Jen Chaney: OK, you're both hurting my brain now.

I am inclined to think that the object travels with the person. I mean, if you've swallowed the notion that an island can move in time, be infested with weird smoke monsters and be ruled by a man who thinks he can woo women by serving them baked ham, I don't know why it's so hard to believe Locke can hold onto a dang compass while he travels through time.

Liz Kelly: Seriously, that baked ham thing is pretty far-fetched.

Charlotte speaks Korean: I don't think that the baby Candle is Miles or Jin. I think its adopted, and I think its Charlotte.

Jen Chaney: But the little baby was clearly Asian in some fashion. And Charlotte may know Korean, but she doesn't look like a little Asian child.

That said, it's very possible she learned to speak it from Candle or someone else.

Liz Kelly: Here's a screen grab of the baby.

I think it is clearly Asian, but I would argue that it looks more like a baby Miles than a baby Jin. And if that's a girl baby I'll eat my hat.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I definitely didn't think it was a girl. Or that the baby could ever sprout red hair.

Baltimore: Speaking of Tolkien, in the clip show last night they made a point of showing the clip where Ben and his father are greeted by the Dharma Initiative with "namaste" and a future episode is titled "namaste." Should we start looking for Tolkien references?

Liz Kelly: Or at least a yoga class.

Clarendon: I feel like I fell asleep at the wheel here, but how do we know that Mrs. Hawking is Daniel Faraday's mother?

Liz Kelly: We don't know, we're just presuming that to be the case based on the evidence.

Daniel tells Desmond to find his mother in Oxford.

Desmond tells Penny he's headed to Oxford.

Ms. Hawking and Ben appear to be in some kind of old stone building that looks much like Faraday's Oxford lab.

Jen Chaney: I actually immediately thought Ms. Hawking as soon as Faraday said his mother was at Oxford. But then, I'm a weirdo.

Liz Kelly: I did, too, actually. It just makes a perfect kind of sense.

Shirlington, Va.: Oh and another question! Anyone else suspicious of Miles and the boar that had been dead for "only three hours"? Seems like there is more there to be discovered.

Jen Chaney: That was most definitely strange.

My guess? Dude's in touch with the dead. So if that boar had died recently, his corpse-radar would have been able to track it down very quickly.

Ana Lucia in the butcher shop?: The person leaving the butcher shop when Ben came in sounded a lot like Ana Lucia. Either of you guys catch that on DVR?

Jen Chaney: No, but now I'll have to check it out.

Charlotte: Why do you think she was born on the island?

Jen Chaney: Because she said last season that she's looking for the place where she was born.

And Miles made a weird comment about how he thought it was strange that she wanted to stay on the island. He seemed to know something about her. Which ties in nicely with a. her speaking Korean and b. Miles having lived on the island as a child, too. Maybe they were BFFs when they were kids.

Liz Kelly: Yes, and when she said that she was looking for the place that she was born it was when she refused a spot on the boat heading out to the freighter.

Sawyer's jeans: okay, he hasn't been in those jeans since day one. he, like everyone, was changing clothes and cleaning what they wore (see hanging laundry when they had a camp). He was without shoes because he just swam from the middle of the ocean back to the island. As soon as he returned, the island moved and time changed. As we know from Daniel, you only move with what you got on ya....and he had no shoes on him at that time.

Liz Kelly: Let's declared the great Sawyer jeans mystery offically solved.

Wilmington, Del.: Is there any truth to the rumor that the actress who plays Charlotte has been tapped to play a role in a Clooney movie and thus may be being written out of Lost? If so, I would have a serious problem with that given that they began to establish a rather intriguing mythology around her character...

Liz Kelly: She is indeed in production on Clooney's new movie, "Men Who Stare at Goats," now. I haven't heard anything about that pulling her away from "Lost," though it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

San Francisco, CA: About the opening scene - does anyone else think it is odd to be bottle feeding the baby at 8:15 in the MORNING !!! And, as the opening shots are filmed of "unit two" orientation film, we do learn its for "strategic" purporses, which suggests...something more than we've thought about Dharma.

Liz Kelly: Jen -- please help a childless person out -- why is it odd to be feeding a baby at 8:15 a.m.?

And again, re: that orientation video, it is definitely worth noting Candle's statement that the island has a hostile indigenous population.

Jen Chaney: I don't know why it's strange to feed the child then, unless San Francisco is suggesting that the baby would have been up feeding throughout the night?

I always fed my son at 8:15 when he was a wee baby. But that was mainly because 8:15 is such a clever "Lost" reference. I also only gave him Dharma formula for the same reason.

Liz Kelly: I'll only worry if you have his name legally changed to Aaron.

Walt: Won't Walt have to go back too?

Liz Kelly: I'm guessing no. First because we've heard nothing about the actor that plays Walt returning this season and, secondly, because Walt left the island before it moved in time.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, but everybody got off the island before it moved. Everyone on the chopper was outside the radius, right?

I don't think Walt will come back because Malcolm David Kelley got too old.

Street or STRING??: When Daniel was explaing the time/space travel business to Sawyer I thought he said "string", not "street". Did I hear wrong?

washingtonpost.com: I thought he said "stream."

Liz Kelly: I heard "street."

Jen Chaney: See, I thought he said, "Strizzle, fo' shizzle."

No, seriously, I heard street, too.

Baltimore, HON: Is it an intentional comment on the relativity of time that the top of this chat lists both 2 pm and 3 pm as the time of the chat? Or have you both come unstuck in time?

Jen Chaney: Wait, what is this Internet I am using? It's 1955 and we don't HAVE computers yet!

Liz Kelly: Has it been 108 minutes already?

compass?: quick was the compass one of the objects Alpert put in front of child John Locke? I can't remember!!!!

Liz Kelly: Yes. The compass was among the items.

Jen Chaney: Oh, snap! Good call, alert reader!

Desmond is different: In Desmond's actual reality, Faraday didn't bang on the hatch. Desmond got off the island. But Faraday got off the street and in doing so created a "new" memory for Desmond, so up until that time Desmond didn't have the memory, but it was retroactively created when Faraday got him out of the hatch.

It's okay with Desmond, I guess, because he's different. Same way that Faraday could tell Desmond to meet him at Oxford retroactively.

Liz Kelly: Yes, but following that logic -- if Faraday went back into Desmond's past and changed it (by banging on the hatch door), he changed everything that followed, including Desmond's cache of memories. Right?

Jen Chaney: No, Liz. Because it's not possible to change what follows, based on Faraday's rules.

The fact that this explanation makes sense to me either means that a. I actually understand time travel better than I thought or b. I really have not gotten enough sleep this week. I'm going with b.

Liz Kelly: But Faraday is blowing his own rules out of the water.

Ouch. Brain hurts.

Denver: Yay, Lost! Yay, Liz and Jen! Welcome back to everyone.

My question: Didn't Ethan's hostile reaction to Locke's appearance seem pretty extreme? I'm remembering (vaguely) that Ben had a much more measured approach to the later plane crash, i.e., infiltrate and "Get names." What gives?

Liz Kelly: Ethan was always a pretty hostile guy, though. Remember how he stalked and kidnapped Claire?

Jen Chaney: Yes, he was a scary, scary man.

Frogurt: Was that really Neal's last name or was that a clever Sawyer knickname. The combo of `frozen' and `yogurt', which I assumed Sawyer was using to say Neal was kind of a yuppie who would eat frozen yogurt. Maybe I'm reading too much into Sawyer's knicknames, when his clear skills are at shirtlessness.

Jen Chaney: I believe at some point Neil said he operated a frozen yogurt stand, prompting either Sawyer or Hurley to dub him Frogurt.

At least I think I have that right.

In any case, I think we haven't seen the last of Frogurt.

Sun's behavior: Am I the only one who thought that Sun's "How's Jack?" question to Kate immediately after her "I don't blame you for Jin's death" speech was significant? I think Jack, not Ben, is the second person she holds responsible.

Jen Chaney: Oh, that was a pointed question, without a doubt. Her words said "How's Jack?" Her subtext said: "How's the man who loves you, who incidentally is still alive even though my husband isn't, you heartless wench?"

This raises another good question. Who are the two people Sun really holds responsible for Jin's death. She has said one is her dad. And the other is Ben. But it appears she also blames Kate, at least a little. And I would think she's none too happy with Lies McFiberson, aka Jack.

But what if she really holds Widmore responsible -- which would make sense -- and she's actually helping Ben get to Widmore? What about THAT?

Liz Kelly: My brain is officially fried. I think we need to start wrapping up...

Jen Chaney: Sweet! I blew up Liz's brain!

No shirt for Sawyer: Daniel didn't give up his shirt because he knew he couldn't compete with Sawyer. What a disappoint that would have been -- going from Sawyer to Daniel.

Liz Kelly: Daniel has some serious wardrobe issues. Who wears a tie on a tropical island?

Kimmel: Please tell me you saw Jimmy Kimmel last night? He dubbed himself into the scene with Hurley and the Hot Pocket. I nearly wet myself. Please find and post a link!!!

washingtonpost.com:

Liz Kelly: Good stuff.

WALT!!!: In IMDB he is credited with "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" which is from season 5 right?

Jen Chaney: Well, shut my mouth and call me Kevin Johnson. You're right!

Lost Easter egg sites?: What are "Lost" Easter egg sites?

And can you please provide an example? (e.g., a link)

Thank!

Liz Kelly: Yep, Dark UFO is a good place to start.

Locke and Alpert: And didn't Alpert tell John that the next time he sees him Alpert won't recognize him but that John was to give him the compass?? Is this suggesting that the compass was the "correct" item that young john was supposed to give to Aplert?

Jen Chaney: Wow, that sounds right to me.

Liz Kelly: Yes. That just gave me chills.

Arlington, VA: I thought it was very interesting when Ms. Hawking, who's character is named for a scientist, said, "Then, may God be with us all..." Do you think she might be alluding to an intersection between the show's dueling themes; namely, science and faith?

Liz Kelly: Yes, and I'm sure Jen will have something to say about that intersection. (Which is due south west of Seven Corners)

I wanted to point out that Daniel's crisis is also at the crux a faith vs. science collision, too. He has studied time travel and the Dharma initiative for years. He is very clinical and assured when he tells Sawyer there are rules, that they can't travel along a different street (timeline). Yet not 10 minutes later he is basically praying ("Please let this work") that the rules (science) can be changed or thrown out entirely.

Jen Chaney: If memory serves -- and at this point, it might not -- in "Brief History of Time," Stephen Hawking spends some time addressing the issue of faith and science and notes that they don't have to be at odds with one another. I believe it's toward the end of the book.

I wonder if that's ultimately one of the conclusions we'll be able to derive from "Lost." That one can be a man of science and a man of faith at the same time, they are not mutually exclusive.

Odenton, MD: Frogurt is a Simpsons reference.

Jen Chaney: Yes, this is true as well.

Aaron: I am concerned that Sun contacted Kate because SHE wants Aaron as a way to get to Ben....

What say you?

Jen Chaney: I say it's another theory I like, in addition to 800 others we have posited so far. And the season just started!

Liz Kelly: Thanks for stopping by. We'll be back next week -- same time (3 p.m. ET)

Jen Chaney: There are roughly 80 bajillion questions we couldn't get to, for which we apologize. But it's so good to be back with all of you. Please join us next Thursday for another dueling analysis and another chat at 3 p.m.

Until then, keep on practicing those ninja moves and all that spy stuff.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

» This Story:Read +|Talk +| Comments
© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity