What's Cooking With Kim O'Donnel

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Kim O'Donnel
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, January 27, 2009; 1:00 PM

Calling all foodies! Join us Tuesdays at 1 p.m. ET for What's Cooking, our live online culinary hour with Kim O'Donnel.

A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education (formerly known as Peter Kump's New York Cooking School), Kim spends much of her time in front of the stove or with her nose in a cookbook.

For daily dispatches from Kim's kitchen, check out her blog, A Mighty Appetite. You may catch up on previous transcripts with the What's Cooking archive page.

Kim O'Donnel: Hey folks and Gung Hay Fat Choy! It's the Year of the Ox. Heard there's a bunch of snow falling in the mid-Atlantic. We've got light snow here in Seattle, but it's not accumulating. As my friend JE in Mass. says, "flurries are for wussies." What did you think of the falafel in yesterday's Meatless Monday space? Hope you give them a try, such a fun project. Veggie chat this Thursday at 1ET, fyi, and I'm gathering tidbits on two new studies about the link between mercury and high fructose corn syrup. More on that to come later in the week. What's on your burners?

Olive Oil: Hi Kim: my kitchen is cold - cold enough to coagulate olive oil and similar items left on the counter. Is that olive oil still ok to use (I warmed it up once and it smelled ok and went back to 'normal' once it was warm)? And do you have any tips on how to prevent that from happening in the future? Leaving the heat on isn't really an option since it's more of a function of the floor plan/shady add-on than keeping the kitchen warm.

Kim O'Donnel: Hey there, don't worry about oil coagulating. It's better that your oil is cold rather than warm -- that's when it starts to oxidize and turn rancid. But I'd also advise you to keep oil away from light, natural or otherwise.

Somerset, NJ: It breaks my heart to think of boiling anything in a quart of oil - unless you buy the gallon jugs of leftover blended oils, it's quite expensive.

And filtering, cooling, and storing a quart of used oil in the refrigerator isn't attractive either.

I need some further convincing. How many times can you re-use oil? Should you use the same quality oil for deep-frying as you would for sauteeing? Do I really want my Mom's 50's deep-fryer? And, 2 minutes is plenty to saturate an item with fat and calories ....

Kim O'Donnel: For the falafel I did the other night, the oil I used was still quite clean so I decided to keep it for another go-round. I strained it to remove any remaining fried bits and will use again in next day or so for remaining falafel batter. You can re-use oil, but it does need to be strained and it does need to be stored properly. Right now, oil is extremely expensive. I would say of all the grocery items, I have found this to be among the most alarming on the price spike scale. (Rice is way up there as well.) I'd take Mom's fryer and keep it for a while, see what you think. Frying is fun every once in a while, just another option, but I agree with your points about cost and fat...

Washington, DC: I'm at my wits end with Basmati rice. Every attempt yields a mushy gelatinous starch that is almost insulting to the ingredient as it is to the chef. I'm out of ideas - I've rinsed the rice in cold water until it was no longer cloudy, I've let it soak for 30 minutes, and have increased the amount of water to cook with, but the result is still the same. My proportions for rice and water have been 1 cup of rice, and 1 to 1 cups of water/stock. Any suggestions? More rice per water? Less water per rice? Give up all together, and stick with Uncle Ben's in a bag?

Kim O'Donnel: Hon, your amounts didn't come through! Send again.

Falafel and Flatulence: Hi Kim, I love falafel and after numerous unsuccessful attempts of my own, I am ready to give your recipe a whirl. I'm a little confused about your recipe, though - the beans are soaked, then ground, and quickly fried...wouldn't that mean the beans are still basically uncooked and largely indigestible?

Kim O'Donnel: You're cooking the bean patties in oil that's 350 degrees. At this temp, stuff is gonna cook pretty darn fast. If you're asking me if I've had digestive issues since making falafel issues, the answer is no. All is well in that department.

New Haven: Hi Kim, The falafel looks great but I'm unsure of the oil temperature--do you mean the oil should be aggressively bubbling or bubbling a bit around the edges? Is there a quick test of some kind?

Kim O'Donnel: I highly recommend getting an instant read thermometer, but short of that, you want the oil to be shimmery and bubbling a bit around edges, but def. not smoking.

Brownie Bombs, D.C.: Hi Kim,

A few weeks ago a chatter asked for fail-safe banana bread recipes. Well, I'm in the same boat with brownies. I can't seem to hit upon a recipe that works for me. They either come out grainy (from the sugar) or they rise around the perimeter of the pan and are half-baked fudge slabs in the middle.

I'd prefer to make them from scratch, and like them cake-y instead of chewy-gooey. Do you or the Gallery have a good recipe to share? Many thanks...

Kim O'Donnel: Interesting. I am much more of a chewy-gooey brownie fiend. Who likes cakey brownies -- and what's a good recipe? this might make good blog fodder...

Clifton, VA: Frying an item at the proper temp does not saturate it with fat and calories. Done correctly frying adds very few calories and not a lot fat.

Its not that difficult.

Even you are talented you can even fry in extra virgin olive oil like Mario.

Kim O'Donnel: Clifton, agree that temp is KEY to this equation. A thermometer makes all of that possible.

for the rice person:: I always had a tough time with rice, too, and had almost given up completely, but hubby loves it... So. Try Jasmine rice. I can't remember the brand I buy, but it's in a purple bag. I just follow the directions and it cooks just right every time. And, the rice itself doensn't dry out in the fridge like some rices do, so it's good for leftovers!

Kim O'Donnel: Funny, we had a rice mishap the other night. Mister MA was in charge of the rice, which he's learned to do, but it ended up rather toothy and still watery.

Arlington, VA: RE: Keeping oil

For straining, will a sieve do, or do you need cheesecloth? And HOW do you store it? in the Fridge? I just remember my grandma keeping a jar of 'grease' on the back of the stove. . .

Kim O'Donnel: A fine sieve will do. If you keep oil in an airtight container, I think it's okay to leave out. But it really should be filtered well, and kept sealed and used sooner rather than later. It is a living organism and composition will change.

Chicago, IL: Greetings, Do you have any recipes that involve the Snow Panic Shopping List: T.P. Milk Eggs Bread

and nothing else? I'm wondering if you all are going to ask for a telethon after getting a whopping 4 inches of snow.

Kim O'Donnel: Not sure how to answer your question, Chicago. Some places are better equipped to deal with the elements than others. it's all relative.

Basmati to ratio - not 1:2 but 1:1.75: I get great basmati every time. I don't bother to soak. You need -less- water with basmati for some reason. I use 1:1.5 (rice to water). I cook as normal - bring to boil covered, then simmer ten mins. The water will be absorbed, rice grains perfect. stir with fork and leave to rest for a few mins.

Kim O'Donnel: The rice ratios are coming in. Personally, I do 1:1.33

For the Basmanti rice cooker: Have you tried Jasmine instead? Bring 1 1/3 cup water to a boil, add 1 cup Jasimne rice, simmer covered on lowest possible temp for about 15 minutes, fluff, and I usually let sit for 10 or 15 more minutes with the lid on.

Kim O'Donnel: That's very close to how I make my rice...

Basmati rice: My failsafe method: 1 c. rice to a little less than 2 c. water Rinse the rice but do not soak, put rice and water on the burner until it's boiling really well, then turn it down super low for 15 minutes. The water is gone, the rice is yummy.

Kim O'Donnel: And more ideas...

Basmati: I've never had problems with 1 cup rice, 1.5 cups water, cook for 15 minutes, no rinsing needed.

Kim O'Donnel: And another...

Upstate, NY: For straining used frying oil, I put a funnel in the top of the empty bottle and then put a coffee filter in the funnel. You have to pour in the oil bit by bit, but it does a great job of straining out all the little particles.

Kim O'Donnel: And the oil ideas are filtering...

Ocean View: On keeping oil, I've straned it through a coffee filter - that gets all the bits out and your oil can then be reused nicely.

Kim O'Donnel: And more...which ocean do you have a view of?

That's very close to how I make my rice..: You taught me well, Obi-Kim.

GAFF

Kim O'Donnel: hahahah!!

rice is easy: For every cup of rice, use a scant 2 cups of water - a 2:1 ratio is a good starting point, you can adjust for personal taste and different rice types.

For white rices: Pick over and rinse the rice. Bring the rice & water to a boil; cover, cook for an additional 5 minutes, leave for an additional 5 minutes. Ta-da!

Never, ever stir the rice when it is cooking, that's what makes it gloppy. If you really must stir your rice, do it at the very beginning, then leave it alone. My rice always turns out good, except when I get distracted and forget about it.

Btw, I just got a Sanyo rice cooker that doubles as a slow-cooker. Works great for both!

Brown rice requires extra cooking time but otherwise it takes the same treatment.

Kim O'Donnel: And more grains of wisdom...

richmond: I don't know. Some folks like to swear that frying correctly doesn't add fat or calories, but the numbers don't lie. Fried chicken has more saturated fat and calories than broiled chicken. Period. Your fried chicken may be better freid than his, but my broiled chicken wins hands down.

Kim O'Donnel: aw man. Fried chicken sounds really good right about now.

Arlington, VA S: Rice to water?

I don't cook much basmati, but my experience with rice (and similar items like polenta) is that your hardware matters. Even with a tight fitting lid, the evaporation and absorption is different with differently shaped and sized pots/pans, their thickness, and the heat that is applied.

This also applies when cooking beans or reducing sauces (even a simple tomato sauce). Plan on screwing up a few times until you figure out your hardware.

And food is a natural product, that has variable water content... this will also have it's effects.

Kim O'Donnel: Excellent point about evap/absorption. Thank you for your insight!

a small village in Scotland: For snarky Chicago, who thinks s/he knows bad weather: bread, milk, and eggs make a lovely French toast.

Kim O'Donnel: HAAAAAAA. Hugs and kisses, Scotland!

Newton, MA: For the past several weeks I have been on a whole wheat bread baking binge since finding that I am intolerant of soy, which seems to be in everything you can buy. Questions (please help): why do all the whole wheat recipes I find require baking in a loaf pan instead of free-form like a baguette, given that, how to insure getting them out of said loaf pan, and lastly, does anyone have a recipe which might approximate the very grainy Ezekiel breads? many thanks

Kim O'Donnel: I've been hankering to do some bread, Newton. You want a grainy bread? Let me see what I can do. Stay tuned.

richmond again: Fried chicken sounds really good right about now--it does, and I partake sometimes. But I don't try to fool myself and say it's as healthy as baked. i grant myself a little fried as part of a balanced diet and eat super well the next day.

Kim O'Donnel: You're preaching to the choir, richmond. Moderation in everything.

Central Pennsylvania: Ha Ha Chicago, As we're gearing up here for another "wintry mix," I marvel again at the mad rush on grocery stores for the items you mentioned. Does everyone really make french toast when it snows? Me, I make sure the liquor cabinet is stocked ...

Kim O'Donnel: I love me a grilled cheese and some soup when it snows.

Milk Eggs Bread = French Toast: Perhaps Chicago can tell us what s/he is making today?

Kim O'Donnel: Yeah, let's hear what's cooking in the Windy City.

Alexandria, VA: I personally don't think Jasmine is that great of a substitute for Basmati. Jasmine rice is softer, while Basmati, when cooked right, has a somewhat firmer grain that holds its shape and doesn't stick together. I have a recipe for lime rice (like they serve at Chipotle), and it never comes out nearly as good when I use Jasmine instead.

Kim O'Donnel: Great insight, Alexandria. Thanks for sharing.

basmati rice: In addition to the rice-to-water ratio (which other people seems to have covered very well) I do the following, regardless of whether or not I rinse or soak rice:

1) Bring to a full, rolling boil. 2) Stir ONCE with a fork. Try to touch each part of the bottom of the pan once and only once. 3) Turn down heat to simmer. Add lid. Twist lid to help it seal from the steam. 4) If it boils over, remove briefly from the heat. Do not remove lid, but do wipe the spilled stuff from the side. 5) Simmer for the appropriate time. I do 10 minutes for regular white rice, 15 for basmati. 6) Remove from heat. Do not open lid. Let sit for 10 to 20 minutes off-heat. 7) Remove lid. Fluff rice with fork.

What really seems to help is letting the rice sit off-heat for at least 20 minues to steam.

Kim O'Donnel: More rice schooling...

Silver Spring, MD: I buy organic, brown basmati rice from the Co-Op and I rinse one cup of rice in a strainer for about a minute, add two cups of water, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and the rice to a pot and bring it all to a rolling boil. I then cook for 20 minutes at a medium boil, turn off and let sit on the stove for another five minutes and perfect rice every time.

Kim O'Donnel: Wow, and yet another way to do a pot of rice.

Arlington, VA: I am dying to try the falafal recipe. My question: I have an electric fondue pot (wedding present) which has a thermostat that goes up to 450F. What do you think, could I try using it to fry the falafals? (CAN you cook things in a fondue pot? I mean, besides fondue-y things?)

Kim O'Donnel: Geez, I don't know. Anyone with exertise in using a fondue pot for things other than fondue items?

Funny story: My husband baked a birthday cake for me a couple of years ago. He used a mix and when I got home he was saying how funny it tasted (he had licked the bowl clean). He said it also smelled funny when it baked. I said yes the house did smell pretty funky. I asked him if he had used an old mix and he said no. I smelled the baked cakes up close and they were awful. I asked him what oil he used and he showed me. It was the leftover oil from frying homemade eggrolls. I was saving for a friend who used old oil for biodiesel since because of the cabbage had ruined the oil for reuse. It was brown and smelly and I never thought anybody would use it.

Kim O'Donnel: Wow. Great lesson learned. Yes, label that old oil!

Boca Raton, Florida: Just a "Thank you, Kim", for the perceptive Lunar New Year's greeting -- just one of the many parts of the WORLD that makes "American" cuisine so special. My Question; Any "alternative" modes of cooking for "stir- fry addicts" who love to "Rock the Wok" every night, but are also thinking some alternatives may be a healthy change as well. So -- What do you think ...? In a bit of a stir-fry "rut", Chris, now Here in FLA.

Kim O'Donnel: Hey Chris, so you're looking to keep using the wok but doing something other than a stir fry? Talk to me.

Anonymous: Those rice ideas will come in handy if I ever make the cut to be on Survivor...

Kim O'Donnel: YES.

love rice: i used to hate making rice (have an electric stove, which always required switching burners...hard to do with complicated main dishes that involved more than one burner at the same time the rice was cooking)...bought a small ($15) rice cooker from Target. never a problem since.

Kim O'Donnel: Rice cooker owners tend to swear by their cookers...

Tampa, FL: Are peanuts included in the recall, or is it just peanut butter and peanut paste? I just bought several cans of roasted peanuts on sale, and now I'm wondering if they're OK to eat.

Kim O'Donnel: Hey Tampa, to the best of my knowledge, peanuts are NOT included in the recall. You can keep tabs of all recalled products on the FDA Web site

rice blog: Kim me dear - how about addressing rice in a blog? All different types, brown and white. How to cook - what each type goes with ... .

Kim O'Donnel: it's on the list. Stay tuned.

Out of Touch: Honestly someone just gave me a crockpot. Will I look like something out of "Three's Company" or can I still prepare meals in this thing ?

Kim O'Donnel: You just made me smile-laugh. Crockpots are back in vogue, dear. They're now called slow cookers. Crockers, share the luv&!

Washington, D.C.: Hey Kim, after your "endorsement," I went to MOM's and picked up some Field Roast chipotle sausages. I got home, and realized that I have no idea what to do with them. I haven't cooked sausage in years, if I ever did. I was thinking about frying up with some onions, red peppers, and maybe some tomato, but do you have any other suggestions?

Kim O'Donnel: Browning it with onions, etc is a fine way to enjoy your Field Roast sausage. I also like it with an egg, with beans, and with rice. It's packed with flavor.

Best all-whole wheat bread I've every made: This is from a book called "The College Cookbook" by Geri Harrington, Charles Schribner's Sons, New York, 1973.

Makes 4 loaves. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

6 cups lukewarm water 2 packages dry yeast (2 Tablespoons) 3/4 cup honey 7 to 9 cups whole wheat flour

2 1/2 Tablespoons salt 1/2 to 1 cup safflower oil 6 to 8 cups additional whole wheat flour additional 2 to 3 cups whole wheat flour for kneading

Dissolve yeast in water. Stir in honey. Stir in 7 to 9 cups flour until thick batter is formed. Beat well with spoon. Let rise 1 hour.

Fold in salt and safflower oil. Fold in more flour until dough comes away from sides of bowl. Knead on floured board, using more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to board (four your hands for the same reason). Takes 15 to 20 minutes. When dough is smooth and satiny, put in warm place and let rise 50 minutes. Keep out of drafts.

Punch down. Let rise again for 40 minutes. Shape into loaves and put into pan. Or just shape into balls and put on cookie sheets. Back for one hour. Bread is done when it thumps when you tap it with a finger. Let it rest for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and put on rack to cool.

Makes 4 loaves.

I usually use exactly the middle amounts of flour specified, and shape into loaves before the last rising. I have had good luck making half a recipe (2 loaves).

It is hearty, but light and perfect whole wheat bread.

Kim O'Donnel: Oh cool. Thanks dear!

Slow Cookers: I love my slow cooker! (And I was born in the 70s :-) ) I use mine for cooking dried beans, soups, stes, chilis, roasts, and even curry a time or 2. The series of "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker" cookbooks are good references.

Kim O'Donnel: the crockers are comin' out of the woodwork...

Crockpots are back in vogue,: But new ones are stronger. I just got a new one for Xmas and retired my 70s yard sale find--surprised to see how much hotter the new one is and have to adjust accordingly. There are prob some recipes I can no longer cook all day while I'm at work.

Kim O'Donnel: Great first-hand report. Cheers.

Arlington Gay: Several years ago, my partner and I were visiting his mom the week before Christmas. (She wasn't hosting the holiday so had a pre-holiday open house.) Usually, her meatballs are wonderful but they weren't very hot. Turns out her crockpot was broken.

Perfect! We hadn't finished holiday shopping so we got her a new crockpot. Christmas morning, we show up and my partner's sister is carrying a present the exact same size as one of ours. So we had mom open her two crockpots at the same time.

Mom commented "I just bought one last week". And that's how I got my new crockpot that I use all the time. It's wonderful for pot roasts.

Kim O'Donnel: More on the crock...

i own the rice cooker: okay, so maybe i like too many kitchen appliances but as much as i love my rice cooker, i love my crockpot (slow cooker) more. use it at least once a week, if not more...we make soups, stews, roasts and meats, baked beans, etc. Love It.

i'm getting married and just got a pressure cooker in the mail from a family friend. the box said that it would be the most important piece of cookware i'll ever own. don't know if it's ever going to live up to my crockpot or rice cooker.

Kim O'Donnel: A crocker AND a ricer...

crockpot: This from repicezaar is fantastic

Tunisian Yam and Red Bean Stew (Slow Cooker Version) Recipe #277950

A former roommate of mine gave me the basic recipe for this spicy aromatic stew. It's great comfort food in cold weather, and fantastic fiery food for hot weather--it all depends on what you serve with it! I love it over steamed couscous or pieces of spongy bread, myself. Don't be put off by the long ingredient list...you are in for 10-15 minutes of chopping and that's it! Assemble this in your crock the night before and you'll have dinner done before you know it the next day! by damienducks day - 15 min prep

SERVES 8

1/2 cup small dried red beans (or 1 can small red beans) 1 large onion, chopped 2 large red bell peppers, chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced 2 lbs yams, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes 3 cups vegetable stock or water 2 large tomatoes, diced or 1 (14 ounce) can diced low- sodium tomatoes 1-3 jalapeno pepper, minced (adjust this to your preference) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts 1 lime, cut into wedges The night before you plan to make this stew, soak beans in water to cover. (Skip this step if using canned beans). To assemble the stew in your crock pot, combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, yams, stock, tomatoes, jalapenos, salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper. Stir till well combined. Add the beans after they've soaked overnight. Give it a good stir before you set it cooking. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, till the yams and beans are tender. Before serving, ladle a little of the juices into a bowl; mix in peanut butter and stir till well combined. Return peanut butter mixture to crock and stir till well combined. Top each serving with 1/2 T. dry roasted peanuts and a squeeze of lime juice. 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Kim O'Donnel: Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Brownies: I've tried a good dozen brownie recipes, and I'm sad to say that nothing quite measures up to the boxed stuff. Sigh. One little twist: use coffee in place of the water. It makes it that little bit richer, which is especially great for cakier brownies (the gooey kind don't need to be richer, IMHO). You can even dissolve instant coffee in the water if you don't happen to have coffee on hand.

Of course, if anyone has a divine brownie recipe, I'd love to hear it. . . .

Kim O'Donnel: I hope to prove you wrong, darling. Stay tuned!

NYC: I tried to make your falafel recipe with canned chickpeas and of course they fell apart in the fryer. Shortly afterwords I came across a recipe (New York Times food section I think) for lamb falafel by a woman who had the same problem I did, not enough planning ahead to soak those chickpeas the night before. You use canned chickpeas, ground lamb and tahini. I've made it couple times now and both times it came out great.

Kim O'Donnel: Cool, thanks for following up. I'm sure there are recipes out there using canned chickpeas, but the one I posted is strictly a dried peas affair.

slow cookers/banana bread: I never like beans so well as when prepared in the crockpot. They come out downright creamy--navy or cannelinis particularly.

I like to add some whole wheat flour to my banana bread, extra very ripe bananas, and sometimes an extra egg yolk (and nuts). Then, after two or three days, I like to cut thick slabs of it and make French toast. My secret is out.

Kim O'Donnel: Whoa. Banana bread French toast? Interesting. I'm intrigued.

Rice: Ever think about getting a rice cooker? I was never the best with rice myself, but I got a cheap on from Bed Bath and Beyond for $14 (not including 20% coupon) and I have never had a problem since. Just add the rice, water (it comes with a book to tell you the ratio) press a button and presto! perfect rice everytime.

Kim O'Donnel: Another happy rice cooker...

New York, NY: For the poster who is frustrated by the sogginess of the brownies from the middle of the pan... I came across this in one of those "Sky Mall" catalogues on a recent flight.

http://www.bakersedge.com/

Kind of brilliant.

Kim O'Donnel: Interesting...I believe brownies are in the blog's future. Mister MA will be devastated.

baking substitution: Can yogurt be substituted for buttermilk or sour cream in baking?

Kim O'Donnel: Plain yogurt is a great sub for sour cream, I do this regularly. As for buttermilk, possible, but you may need a little liquid in addition.

Snow day cooking in the Northeast : When we get snowed in, I take advantage of the day and bake bread. I've been doing that for 30 years and enjoying it very much. Latest breads: sourdough olive and sprouted wheat.

Kim O'Donnel: Nice! You got me thinking, dear. I just might have to make some bread today.

Persian RIce: We had a modified rice cooker (we lived in the Bay Area) that made wonderful Persian rice--with the caramelized bottom. We moved to a country with different power levels, and gave it away. How do I do the Persian rice in a pan? How do I do it in a rice cooker? If a rice cooker would do this if I change the method, I might buy one.

Kim O'Donnel: I have a dear friend in Wis. who lived in Iran and when I visited her last summer, we made Persian rice together. Been meaning to get her recipe. Let me work on this. But I'm thinking no to the rice cooker.

olive tapanade: Safeway stopped carrying their olive tapanade and now my sandwhiches just aren't the same. How can I make my own? How long can it be stored for?

Kim O'Donnel: Olive tapenade is so cinchy you won't believe it. First step is to buy cured olives that you really enjoy and break out the food processor. Use that "pulse" button to pulverize, not puree. Add garlic, herbs, orange peel, whatever floats your boat. Keep in an airtight container in fridge. It'll last at least a week, maybe longer.

yogurt for buttermilk: I substiute yogurt for buttermilk using 50% yogurt, 50% milk in place of the buttermilk. More often, I clabber milk using 1T lemon to 1 cup milk and letting it rest for 10 minutes in place of buttermilk.

Kim O'Donnel: Excellent. Was hoping someone would chime in on this...

yogurt vs. buttermilk: I can tell you that my boyfriend has a samosa recipe that calls for yogurt or buttermilk and has tried it both ways. He liked the texture of the dough much better when he used buttermilk.

Kim O'Donnel: And more proof on interchangeability of buttermilk and yogurt.

Kim O'Donnel: Time to run. thanks so much for stopping by! Let's continue the conversation on my
Facebook fan page or in the blog space: A Mighty Appetite, or this Thursday at 1ET for meatless chatter. Lively up you all are, and I so appreciate it. Stay warm!

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity