Transcript

The 'Lost' Hour: Season 5 - 'The Little Prince'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Staff
Thursday, February 5, 2009; 3:00 PM

Has "Lost" got you a mite confused and ready to hurl at the next mention of smoke monsters? Or do you have the fate of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love square all figured out? Who got Scooby Dooed this week? Are you a new viewer, adrift on an unfamiliar isle or an old hand ready to bare knuckle some quantum physics? In either case, we're here for you and armed with more mediocre puns and pop culture references than a hunky con man can shake a stick at.

Post.com "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney will attempt to get to the bottom of these matters every Friday. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

Read this week's episode analysis, then submit your questions, comments and theories (no matter how far-fetched) before or during the discussion.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com.

For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

Jen Chaney: Bonjour, chatters. The reappearance of Rousseau has us feeling all Frenchy today.

As always, much to discuss so we'll jump right to your questions and new theories. At least, we will right after Liz tells us about her conversation with Mr. Michael Emerson. What was Ben like? Inquiring, Machiavellian minds want to know!

Liz Kelly: The interview is actually after today's chat. Sadly, I had my PST and my EST all mixed up. But that just gives me a chance to solicit here for questions for Michael. So get them in now -- if you have any Ben-related questions, I'll do my best to pose them to Michael Emerson this afternoon.

And how perfect is it that I enrolled in a French class a few weeks ago? Dismissed as coincidence.

Washington, D.C.: Is everyone in love with Sawyer? Good.

Liz Kelly: Check.

Jen Chaney: Um, yeah. Ditto.

Newark, Del.: I hereby request no more episodes centering on the Oceanic Six, especially Jack and Kate. They seem to get less chemistry together every episode. And Sawyer would be better served by getting misty-eyed over Juliet. "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."

The Jin subplot didn't surprise me, but I always pictured Rousseau's crew being from an older time-period, not kids from 1988 who could have washed up from a Duran Duran concert.

Jen Chaney: To be fair, I don't think this season's episodes have been centering too much on any specific character, certainly not the way the installments in previous seasons have.

I actually like Misty Sawyer. He's not as funny as Sarcastic Sawyer, but he's equally compelling, perhaps because he's usually Sarcastic Sawyer. If that makes any sense.

And as for Rousseau's crew, remember two things: 1. They are French and therefore more Duran-Duran-ish and chic than perhaps the rest of the population. And 2. If they had really washed up from a Duran show, they would have been wearing far more Simon LeBon buttons, bangle bracelets and, possibly, fedoras.

Liz Kelly: Unless they had to heave their Duran memorabilia overboard in an attempt to keep that waterlogged raft afloat.

As for Sawyer... I hope he can see that Juliet is totally hitting on him. She's trying to catch him on the rebound. Same move she used on Jack and, to some extent, on that Other boyfriend she had. I really think she should reconsider Ben. Who else would make her a ham dinner?

Chuckville: Did you happen to catch our favorite dead junkie rock star hobbit the other night?

Jen Chaney: I did! For those who missed it, Dominic Monaghan guest starred on "Chuck" earlier this week. He played a rock star (wink) who was giving away a special golden ticket (double wink) to his fans.

I didn't see the whole thing, but Mr. Monaghan was quite enjoyable in the parts I did see. Here's a tip, though: Don't try watching "Chuck" in 3D by using the four or five-year-old 3D glasses from VH1's "I Love the '80s in 3D." Doesn't work very well.

Lost in D.C.: Hi there!

Just this season I discovered your dueling take on the show, and I look forward to reading it each week.

Quick question: Why does Sun want to kill Ben? I'm sure it's obvious, but I can't remember.

Thx.

Jen Chaney: Welcome! We love sucking new people into our "Lost" vortex.

At the risk of sounding a heck of a lot like Miles: Why DOES Sun want to kill Ben? Well, she has said in previous episodes that he is one of the two people she blames for Jin's death (even though, as we learned last night, the man ain't dead). Natural follow-up there: Why does she blame Ben?

She is right to, actually. He had no qualms about putting everyone on the freighter in danger by killing Keamy at the end of last season. And that's what caused the bomb to go off, which -- based on what we have seen so far -- is what Sun assumes has killed Jin.

The question is: how does she know Ben is responsible? She didn't see him kill Keamy, or know about the heart rate monitor Keamy was wearing that triggered the bomb. Someone must have given her this information. That's the part that remains unclear.

Liz Kelly: Also, definitely check out ABC's "Lost" Untangled video featurettes. They're a fun, easy way to get caught up. We posted one at the bottom of This morning's analysis.

Charlotte, N.C.: With all the time shifting going on, can we hope for an appearance by Boone?

Jen Chaney: Charlotte, I've been hoping for that even before the time shifting began. I suspect we will see many old favorites return, particularly in season six. I have no information on that, just a hunch.

Liz Kelly: I'm with Jen, though it will be interesting to see if the producers ever bring back Harold Perrineau again after he basically trashed them for killing off his character last season.

Jen Chaney: Perrineau is also on another ABC show that premieres soon, so he may be busy.

I, for one, would like to see everyone back, since I still contend that the show will somehow end exactly where it began. Come on, don't we all need at least one more "Waaaaalt!" before the show closes up shop?

Liz Kelly: Maybe there will be a final reunion-style show where the entire cast -- past and present can make nice at a luau. Is that what you had in mind, Jen?

Jen Chaney: Yeah, something like that. A nice mixer of some kind. Or a "Lost" Dance Party where everyone boogies to "Shambala" all night long!

Why why why: Do characters have to be so cryptic when warning someone over the phone. Don't you think Kate would have responded to Jack's call a little more positively if he'd come right out and said "Kate, don't go home because people are coming there to kill you." Why do we have to suffer through all of this "Jack this is a bad time." "Kate this is really important. Are you at home?" "No, I'm downtown but I can't talk right now." "Please Kate, don't hang up." Jeez louise.

Jen Chaney: I completely agree. Maybe he didn't want her to panic, but he could have said, "I really need to talk to you about something important, and it's not about our relationship. It's about something else." That would have done it, no?

In a similar vein, why doesn't Jack ever ask follow-up questions? In the premiere, Ben asks if Locke told Jack what happened after the island moved, and Jack says no. Um, shouldn't you have asked, Dr. Shephard. He also doesn't seem to know why, exactly, everyone will die if they don't all go back. Or maybe he does and we, as viewers, don't know what info he has. But it seems a little random.

Hello, Doc, get some answers before you start following around Ben Linuses and planning to leave your life behind and all that jazz.

Liz Kelly: I agree. I don't know why these characters -- especially the ones off island -- are being so guarded of the information they have.

Last night I was totally flummoxed by the fact that Jack would take the time to try to convince Claire's mom not to try to take custody of Aaron (when they still thought she was the one sending the lawyers to Kate). Why wouldn't Jack just say, "It doesn't matter, Kate, because we need to get Aaron and return to the island again. And we won't be coming back, so this whole custody thing won't matter. Aaron will be beyond the reach of the U.S. legal system."

It's just confounding.

Jen Chaney: Well that part is part of Jack's character flaw. He loves Kate and he wants to fix it. Since she was upset about Claire's mom, Jack had to address that issue first.

Doesn't make sense logically, but sometimes Jack doesn't do the logical thing.

Lost again on "Lost": Since the nurse guy/assassin was using a tranquilizer, are we to assume that somebody else, probably Widmore, is trying to gather the Oceanic 6? And for what reason? Or are these assassins working for Ben, which doesn't make sense since he has already have Jack and to an extent Sayid's trust about getting back to the island. Any thoughts?

Jen Chaney: See, I assumed that the nurse/assassin was working for Ben. Because Ben knew where Sayid was and demonstrated some concern about how Sayid had handled the Hurley situation. When he realized that Sayid was, perhaps, not following Ben's plan, he figured he'd drug the dude and make him comply.

But he clearly forgot that this is Sayid we're talking about. And no one messes with Sayid.

Liz Kelly: I'm starting to move over to Jen's side of the column on this one, especially after Ben admitted he was the one who set the lawyers on Kate.

I think Ben -- resourceful, careful Ben -- has back-up plans in place. If the O6 won't willingly return to the island, he'll get them there any way he can -- by forcing Kate to follow Aaron or by drugging Sayid.

Sawyer: No! I've never gotten the Sawyer thing. I can never decide whether Desmond or Sayid makes my heart beat faster, but Sawyer falls somewhere under Ben. Greasy and whiny. Ugh.

Jen Chaney: To be clear, I like Desmond and Sayid, too. And still -- I know his character has gotten lame, but he's so handsome! -- Jack.

If I were forced to choose, I might have to go Desmond right now. He's got the rugged good looks and the sensitivity going for him. And I also think Ian Cusick does a wonderful job with the character.

Liz Kelly: I'm glad to see we're talking about the really important stuff here. I myself would never waste our chat time with this sort of talk.

Jen Chaney: Oh brotha.

Dallas, Tex.: As a guy who Tivos Lost to watch the next evening with Le Spouse, your chats the next day are a hard temptation to resist. It allows me to appear super smart and insightful when watching it. Does that make me a bad person?

Liz Kelly: Not at all. We're happy to help you impress your wife. We like to think of ourselves as "Lost" analyzers/relationship saviors.

Jen Chaney: You're totally not a bad person. But I have to think you're missing some of the fun of the show by not watching it first every week.

But as long as you join us, hey, I'm not complaining.

Nashville: Is it wrong that I came out of that episode in love with Ben Linus? So snarky!

Jen Chaney: I love him to pieces, man. His character is fascinating. And Emerson's dialogue delivery never ceases to go to totally delicious places.

Riverdale: Island timeline.

Just for my own edification, was wondering if you all might be able to confirm/correct who, besides the time-travelling Losties/Freighter crew have been on the island, and when:

18xx: Island pops up and under the Black Rock. Crew of the BR (presumeably/maybe Richard, Whitmore, Ellie, etc.) stop aging and go native. Become "The Others".

195x: US Military arrive with Jughead. Radiation/The Others kill them.

196x-197x: DHARMA Initiative comes to the island, builds stations and compound. Have on again/off again encounters with "The Hostiles" (presumeably "The Others").

Late 197x: Ben Linus kills everyone in the main DHARMA compound. The Others move into the compound, and set up shop using DI gear and stations (for what purpose?).

Mid 1990s: Inman, veteran of Gulf War I, is recruited by DHARMA (The Others? Does he know that there was a coup from the original DI?) to man the Swan Station with Razinsky. Patchy is recruited from the former soviet army to work in the other station (Flame?). Same question about Patchy knowing his employers.

1990s-Present: Someone (who??) keeps making air drops to the folks in the Swan station, with DHARMA-supplies. If The Others killed everyone in the DHARMA compound, who is still funding and manufacturing these goods?

Present(ish): Losties begin their adventures, meet The Others, whom they first believe to be savages, then they believe to be The DHARMA Initiative, then they learn that they are "Others" (pre-DHARMA folks).

Any gaping holes to fill/things to correct? I'd like to maintain this fingertip grasp at the edge of the Lost storyline.

Liz Kelly: Yep, that looks right-ish from a quick scan. Though there is much, much more. There's a slightly more fleshed out timeline available at Lostpedia, but I have a feeling there will be something much more robust and dynamic online soon to help sort out the chronology.

Jen Chaney: A "feeling." Liz is clearly having a flash-forward moment.

Richmond, VA: How awesome would it be if Ben teamed up with Jon Hamm to help market "Jon Hamm's John Ham?" Don't get caught short on a creepy island without it!

Jen Chaney: That would be super-awesome. I would pay just to watch Jon Hamm and Michael Emerson in a commercial together.

Not so random anymore: When we first saw Faraday, Charlotte and Miles, we thought they were randomly picked by Widmore for their expertise. But now, it looks like that all of them at one point in their lives have been in the island (this assuming that Miles is Dr. Candle's baby). Is it possible that Widmore has some sort of manifest or some kind that has every person's name who ever stepped on the island? Could it be the black book? Or is he getting his orders from Jacob?

Liz Kelly: It would match up, in a way, with the lists we heard Ben talk about in seasons 1 and 2 -- remember he sent Ethan to bring back Oceanic survivors who were on Jacob's list? Maybe Widmore has a similar list or access to Jacob's rolls.

Bethesda, Md.: Some equal time for us guys here ... who's hotter, the young Rousseau or Ellie (perhaps the young Hawking)?

Liz Kelly: I can't believe Producer Paul didn't weigh in here. I'll open this up to the male side of the audience, tho.

Washington, D.C.: How does Sun know that Ben caused Jin's ersatz death?

I assume "Jeremy Bentham" told her. He was a witness and visited each of the other Oceanic 6.

Jen Chaney: Yes, fair assumption. That is a key missing ingredient. We know Bentham talked to just about everyone off-island, but we don't know what he said exactly. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

College Park, Md.: So because Danielle was prego before she got to the island does that mean Ben wasn't Alex's actual poppa?

Liz Kelly: There was a lot of back-and-forth about this in the comments section of today's analysis. I'm thinking yes, that's exactly what that means. Alex was basically appropriated by Ben at some point -- perhaps stolen in the same way they Others tried to take Aaron from Claire and took Walt from Michael.

Colesville, Md.: Speaking of not sharing information, what about when Ben and Sayid are in the car together and Ben asks why Sayid took it upon himself to save Hugo and Sayid answers I had to know Hurley was safe. What? That made no sense, answered no questions and was just a restatement of the question.

Jen Chaney: Disagree somewhat. Remember when Hurley expressed his anger toward Sayid for not backing him up when he said he didn't want to lie about the plane crash?

Sayid insisted on lying and his life turned into a mess, all controlled by Capt. Linus. He probably realizes now that he should have listened to Hurley and now feels so guilty that he feels obligated to protect him from Ben. Just a guess, but would at least partially explain his answer.

So what?: A request for your chat with Mr. Emerson: After last night's show I want a special Emmy category created just for him called the "Meh" award for outstanding portrayal of slight amused nonchalance in an otherwise high-drama scene. Wow! It's easy to spot over-the-top emotional handwringing, but being the least emotional person in the scene while owning it is all the more impressive.

Liz Kelly: Yes, he does set the bar rather high. His spot on delivery just makes Evangeline Lilly look that much more like a refugee from a high school production of "West Side Story."

Jen Chaney: Yeah, why don't they have a "Meh" Award?

Liz just can't stop the Kate Hate. I think Lilly's a decent cryer. Her reaction in the scene where she was told she'd have to give up Aaron was pretty convincing. Then again, maybe I was just emotional because the thought of giving up a child is pretty horrifying to me.

Liz Kelly: See, now how am I supposed to come back against that?

Jack over Sawyer: I get upset reading internet chatter because everyone is always so down on Jack. He and Des are my favorites. I for one think his character is the easiest to identify with. I'm such "need to fix everything but I haven't worked out my own issues" person. Plus he looked totally hot last night.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. He did look totally hot last night.

Jen Chaney: Liz, I cannot believe you are dragging the chat down to this level. How dare you, I say?

Liz Kelly: I discovered that resistance is futile. And Jack did look particularly hot in that suit.

Rockville, Md.: (From last week) -- was the painting in Whitmore's office of the polar bear done by Thomas? -- Claire's baby daddy. If so, would that make Aaron, Whitmore's grandson?

washingtonpost.com: People, it's "Widmore."

Liz Kelly: That's an interesting theory, but I don't think there's any evidence to support it one way or another.

Jen Chaney: Didn't someone say -- here or elsewhere -- that the paintings done by Claire's boyfriend/Aaron's dad were in a very similar style to the ones in Widmore's office?

I'd have to go back to that season one episode to look, but if true, that would be an interesting, subtly drawn connection to explore.

Sawy,ER: Can't stand him. I was so hoping he'd get shot.

Liz Kelly: What is with the Sawyer hating lately. I know his character hasn't been given much to work with this season, but geez -- does he really deserve to go the way of Neil Frogurt?

Kate Hate: Alright. You may hate Kate but you have to agree that her hair in the scene when she went to the lawyer's was fantastic.

Liz Kelly: I will give Evangeline full credit for having great hair. She could be a hair model, even.

dc: Does Kate know that Jack is Aaron's uncle?

Liz Kelly: No, I don't believe she does. Jen?

Jen Chaney: Yes, she does. She was standing right there when they first met Claire's mother after Christian's funeral. And in that confrontation scene last season, he said to her face that he was more Aaron's family than she was.

At least I think that's right.

Liz Kelly: There you are...

washingtonpost.com: Re: Danielle or Ellie -- I'm a Juliet supporter, sorry.

Liz Kelly: Ahh, producer Paul makes his intentions known.

Jin and time travel: Jin wakes up with shiny, young Danielle hovering over him and he's got nobody to explain the time travel thing to him. He's actually worse off than us poor schlubs because at least we've got Daniel explaining the "rules." Does any of this time travel syndrome stuff explain the mysterious disease that all of Danielle's fellow crew members died of?

Liz Kelly: Good point -- though why wouldn't it have affected Danielle? Did her pregnancy somehow give her immunity?

Jen Chaney: Several other questions raise this issue.

As for why it wouldn't affect Danielle, one reader has suggested that Jin is her constant, although I'm not sure that totally works. Is it possible that Danielle also had been to the island before? And that she was off the island when she conceived? And that for that reason, Alex was even more valuable to Ben because she was the offspring of an island native?

Just throwing it out there...

I love Kate...: And I'm not a guy. Just letting people know that such a person does exist.

Jen Chaney: I like her, too, actually. I find her character more and more empathetic post-island.

Dallas TX: I Googled the name Jaymie Kim, who is playing Ji Yeon next week in "This Place Is Death." And I found a birth announcement from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin of Oct. 30, 2005, listing Jaymie Kim as having just been born. So it seems quite possible that Ji Yeon is being played by a 3-year-old girl living in Hawaii, not by a teenager.

Liz Kelly: Good to know -- though if you turn up the Facebook page I found, also through a Google search -- it really is uncanny how much that teen resembles Sun. Should we take bets?

Jen Chaney: I agree with Liz that the teen looks A LOT like Sun. But it would make more sense if Ji Yeon actually was three.

So I'm staying neutral.

Washington, D.C.: So we've met a baby Miles (assuming), a young Widmore, a young Theresa Spencer (another assumption), and now a young Rousseau. What "young" character(s) do you think we meet next?!?

Liz Kelly: Muppet babies.

Jen Chaney: Literally, literally was thinking the exact same thing. Honestly, Liz, you scare me sometimes.

Liz Kelly: Likewise.

Washington, D.C.: Loved last night's episode and love this season. The time traveling survivors storyline opens up lots of possibilities - including a potential guest appearance by any and all of the departed survivors. But here's what puzzles me about last night's episode. How could Jin have been close enough to the island to have been taken along for the ride through time with Locke, et al. while Jack and co. were not. Jack's group was headed towards the island and away from Jin when the island disappeared. They should have been closer than him? Is it just that Jin was in the water while they were in the air?

Liz Kelly: Another one of the time travel oddities. Maybe the perimeter has a bigger horizontal radius than it does vertical height?

Timeline Correcti, ON: "The Purge" took place on December 19th, 1992.

Liz Kelly: Danke.

Outrigger Club: So, if you are sitting in an outrigger canoe when you time-shift, the canoe goes with you?

Liz Kelly: I was surprised by that, too. I thought they were going to be left floating in the ocean. The rules about what stays and what goes seem to be a bit fluid. Why would the Losties camp disappear, but not the long boat? Why would Jin's plank survive the leaps, but not the tent Charlotte and Miles were standing in at the end of last week's show?

Jen Chaney: I think you have to be in physical contact with the object. Then it comes with you. The tent was not touching Charlotte and Miles. But in every other instance you mention -- the boat, the plank, Locke's compass -- it was connected physically to the person leaping.

Liz Kelly: Okay, that makes sense. In that case, I would be sure to always be leaning against a gun and a refrigerator.

Medford, NJ: The title of this episode does not bode well for the ultimate fate of Aaron. However, Locke has (apparently) already died (snake bite?) as the price of returning home. The Sahara Desert, an airplane crash, and potent snakes are all important in Antoine de Saint-Exupery's novel. So maybe the literary reference is really to Linus. He's short, considers the island his, and appears mysteriously in the desert.

Liz Kelly: Keen observation. Though I don't think I'll be telling Michael Emerson he's short.

Washington, D.C.: It seems pretty clear that one of the themes of the show is how people, even smart and headstrong people, blindly follow certain leaders, but to what end, I can't figure out. Strong characters like Jack, Sawyer, Sayid, etc., continue to follow the directives of Locke and Linus, despite Linus's repeated deceit, and even when those directions make no sense in the real world. And more sympathetic characters, Hurley being the best example, are the ones who question and don't follow those leaders. Your thoughts?

Liz Kelly: I think maybe the show is just mirroring the real world in that smart people sometimes make stupid decisions. Or that when faced with two crappy choices, the only thing you can do is pick one.

It's interesting that you're seeing Hurley as the only one on the right path here -- at least re: Ben Linus -- others in the comments section of the blog were suggesting that he's been turned into an utter buffoon this season, reduced to comic relief.

Jen Chaney: I would agree that in last night's episode, Hurley served solely as comic relief. But I think Hurley functions as the conscience of the group. He's the only one willing to do what's right and not succumb to peer pressure.

As for Sayid and Linus, I don't think Sayid is blindly following his directives. I think for some reason, he feels like he's under Ben's thumb. But he's clearly made known his lack of affection for the man.

New York, NY: Just a comment - thanks, Liz, for nearly getting me fired with your "gun and a fridge" line. Choked on my water as I pictured Sawyer and Miles walking around holding a gun and pulling an entire refrigerator by a chain leash.

Liz Kelly: Happy to oblige!

DC: I've been entertaining the theory that Charlotte is actually Daniel's daughter. It seems a lot more like fatherly love than anything else. If you assume that he did time travel experiments on himself... maybe its possible?

Liz Kelly: I dunno. If this is something he knows, would he really say "I love that woman sitting over there?" That just doesn't smack of fatherly affection.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I am intrigued by that theory. But I am inclined to think his feelings are more of a romantic nature.

That said, I still dig the idea that their relationship is Luke and Leia-esque. And they totally seemed like they had romantic chemistry until we found out the truth in "Jedi."

Liz Kelly: Nah. Leia never looked at Luke the way she did at Han Solo. Neither did I, for that matter.

Jen Chaney: Don't get me wrong. They didn't have Leia/Han Solo chemistry. But that was definitely a love triangle situation in the first two movies. Come on, Wookies, back me up!

Washington, D.C.: I don't have a question since I thought last night's episode was kind of blah, but I just wanted to say that the "muppet babies" comment made me laugh so loud I had to close my office door.

Jen Chaney: Excellent. Then our Muppet Baby Mission has been accomplished.

Alexandra: They are killing theories left and right this season, meaning they are actually answering questions. Last night, Rousseau was obviously pregnant when the raft landed on the island, so Ben is definitely not Alex's biological father. Ben had told Alex that Rousseau was her mother, but we only had crazy French lady's word that she had arrived on the island pregnant and that a man named Robert was Alex's father. I heard one theory that Rousseau could have been lying about her past and had a relationship with Ben. Nope, Alex is decidedly Ben's adopted daughter. I still wonder what Ben meant by "changed the rules" when Keamy killed Alex.

Liz Kelly: Well there is the theory -- re: "changing the rules" -- that the everything that is happening is basically an involved, real world game being played between Ben Linus and Charles Widmore and that his mention of "rules" was a reference to some previously agreed upon rules for said game.

Jen Chaney: Wait a scond ... your reference to the rules just reminded me of Marvin Candle's mention of the rules this season. He was talking about time travel.

But is it possible that Ben was talking about the same thing to Widmore? That Ben knew how all of this was supposed to turn out based on his own travels into the future, which is why he was so shocked that Alex really did get killed? And that would mean Widmore changed the rules, by changing what had happened in the "past" as Ben knew it. I don't know, I'm just throwing more stuff out there that may or may not make sense, but sounds really awesome in my head.

Speaking of which, I also want to mention this before we run out of time. A wise "Lost" theorizer has reminded me that Sawyer and Kate were helping the Others build a runway in season three. Is it possible the runway was being built so that the plane holding the Oceanic Six could safely land in the future?

I like this idea, especially since Kate would have been laying the groundwork for her own fate.

Liz Kelly: I like that last idea very much.

Bennettsville, S.C.: The Others have always claimed that the reason the Losties are alive is because they (the Others) allow them to live on the Island. Could it be that the reason the O6 have to return to the Island and be reunited with the Losties is because they have to fulfill their destiny as heir apparent/new generation of Others - defenders of the Island. And that flight 815 is in fact the modern incarnation of the Black Rock? Perhaps down through history every few generation or so the island selects a special group for this task and Ben letting Jack and Kate and the rest leave has really messed with the Island's mojo. Or maybe not.

Liz Kelly: Hmm, that's interesting. It does seem as though -- similar to the freighter crew -- Oceanic 815's passengers were not just some random group of shmos on their way to L.A.

Shock and horror, it would COMPLETELY fit...: What if Widmore IS Jacob??

Liz Kelly: Then that would mean Ben has been working for Widmore all along. Nope. I don't think so. If he were Jacob -- who we have been conditioned to believe is all knowing, all seeing -- he wouldn't have needed to spend millions trying to locate the island.

Jen Chaney: Agreed.

Alexandria, Va.: Why am I only noticing now after four years of Lost devotion that Ben hardly ever blinks - a la Hannibal Lecter. Makes him extra creepy. Maybe you can ask Michael Emerson if that's intentional.

As for the hot guys, let's not forget Jin!

Liz Kelly: I will. That's a good question.

Arlington, Va.: My theory is that Widmore and Ben are in a race to get "their" people back to the island. Widmore must have been a donkey wheel turner before Ben - possibly when Miles and/or Charlotte were children and others (Penny? All three are roughly the same age.) Whoever gets his people back first gets control of the island.

Obviously I need to flesh this out a bit more, but it's a start.

Liz Kelly: I think we can all agree that there is a battle on for control of the island.

Chicago, Ill.: Am I the only one who noticed the "Airplane"-like joke last week about the compass that Alpert gave Locke? Their approximate exchange went something like this:

Alpert: It's a compass. Locke: What does it do? Alpert (bewildered): It points north.

That can't be an accidental reference. It's like many of the jokes in "Airplane" - which I note was about a crashing jetliner, too.

Liz Kelly: Well, now that you mention it -- it also echoes Mr. Echoes inscription on his stick: "Lift up your eyes and look north."

From Lostpedia:

After Eko's death, Locke retrieved the stick. Locke intended to to use the stick as a marker for Eko's grave. As he was pounding the stick into the ground, he noticed an inscription: "Lift up your eyes and look north John 3:05". ("I Do") Locke interprets "305" as a northward compass bearing, which leads John, Kate, and Sayid to the Flame station.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I thought of Eko before I thought of "Airplane." But I like adding that extra layer of comedy.

Arlington, VA: About Aaron...couldn't they have chosen a CUTE kid? That is one creepy, weird looking child. And I have two, so it's not like I'm unaware of odd looking kids!

Liz Kelly: Does Aaron perhaps remind you of this tyke from "Village of the Damned?"

Jen Chaney: Also, are you suggesting your own children are creepy and weird-looking?

I actually think the little boy is well-chosen. He looks an awful, awful lot like Claire.

Liz Kelly: Sorry -- I obviously meant "Mr. Eko's" above. My brain is mush at this point.

Re: Charlotte being Daniel's daughter: I actually believe Daniel said "I am in love with the woman sitting next to me" and not that he just loves her. One is usually not "in love" with a child.

Liz Kelly: I'd have to go back and re-watch, but I think you're right.

Jen Chaney: Yes, I think you may be right, too.

daniel and charlotte: it is sooooo charlie brown and the little redhead girl.

Jen Chaney: Awww ... that's sweet.

I think Charlotte actually likes Daniel back. Also, the Little Red Haired Girl never suffered from freakish, near fatal nose bloods. Now Pig Pen on the other hand...

Washington, D.C.: Man, Angela Chase's dad has a really diverse legal practice . . . custody suits, plane crash settlements, murder cases. One question though, couldn't he have mailed the settlement check to Claire's dead old ma, rather than having her travel thousands of miles and stay in a seedy motel?

Liz Kelly: Right. Unless he flew her there specifically to use as a red herring; to use her as a cover for his work for Ben. I'm sure that wouldn't be so difficult to convince her of: "it would be easier if you came to L.A. You might need to appear in court, yadda yadda."

Alexandria, VA: Luke-lover here. I had a mad, mad crush on Mark Hamill (he was so hot in Star Wars) which faded once he had his face smashed up and rebuilt (yeah, I'm shallow). And I always preferred the Indiana Jones Harrison Ford to the Han Solo Harrison Ford. But re: Luke and Leia, Luke totally pined for Leia, whereas Leia clearly wanted Han and used the kiss she gave Luke in "The Empire Strikes Back" as a way of making Han jealous.

Jen Chaney: See, I kinda had a crush on Luke back then, too. Then I grew up and realized the error of my ways.

All true points about Leia. All I was trying to say is that when you found out they were brother and sister, it was a bit shocking. Which doesn't mean Faraday and Charlotte are siblings at all, and they probably aren't.

I am just trying to bring this all back to "Star Wars" somehow.

All I know is this: in the final episode, there better be one heck of an Ewok celebration.

Washington, D.C. Lost fan-atic: So Farraday hinted that the hemorrhaging was happening due to longevity on the island - although I've kind of guessed that Miles is Dr. Candle's son, how/why do you think Charlotte is part of the island? What's your take on that oh-so-confusing but oh-so-fascinating issue? (and btw, you guys rock, I love your analysis)

Liz Kelly: And would Juliet be bleeding because of her time on the island with the Others or because she has some deeper history there?

Jen Chaney: I vote deeper history. She seems to know too much. Too much Latin, too much Korean, too much Others history...

Of course, that doesn't jibe at all with her surprise when she finally showed up on the island after being drugged and flown there by Ethan and Richard. But I just get a vibe that something more is going on there.

B&R: Where are Bernard and Rose? We haven't seen them since the very start. Is anyone else we know still on the island, and presumably leaping?

Liz Kelly: Those two are always disappearing. Don't despair. They'll be back.

Liz Kelly: Speaking of disappearing -- it's time for Jen and I to make our exit. I've got to talk to Michael Emerson in a few minutes and Jen has some Duran Duran pins to bid on. See you here next week...

Jen Chaney: Thanks for yet another thoroughly fantastic discussion. I now feel compelled to watch "Star Wars" as well as previous episodes of "Lost" and "Muppet Babies." (I swear! It's all connected!)

Anyway, we'll be back with you at the same time next week. And of course, for our usual Thursday a.m. analysis.

Later, Skaters (and Jaters).

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity