Transcript

The 'Lost' Hour: Season 5 - 'This Place is Death'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Staff
Thursday, February 12, 2009; 3:00 PM

Has "Lost" got you a mite confused and ready to hurl at the next mention of smoke monsters? Or do you have the fate of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love square all figured out? Who got Scooby Dooed this week? Are you a new viewer, adrift on an unfamiliar isle or an old hand ready to bare knuckle some quantum physics? In either case, we're here for you and armed with more mediocre puns and pop culture references than a hunky con man can shake a stick at.

Post.com "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney will attempt to get to the bottom of these matters every Friday. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

The transcript follows.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com.

For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

-----

Jen Chaney: We're running behind already (this chat is death!), so enough with the formalities. Let's talk "Lost."

Chicago: So, wherever Jin was must have had a great weight room. Or maybe time travel just adds bulk...

Jen Chaney: He was always a pretty muscly man. But yeah, after being at sea for however many days and being parched and sunburned, you'd think he'd be slightly more gaunt.

Woodbridge, Va.: The writers are really making a mess out of the time travel "logic." If Rousseau didn't remember Jin because he hadn't gone back in time yet, than how did Charlotte remember meeting Faraday as a child? He obviously hasn't gone back in time yet. Reminds me of "Terminator 2" where we learn that Cyberdyne used the advanced technology found in the cyborg destroyed at the end of "Terminator" to create Skynet, but the whole reason Arnold goes back in time in the first movie is because Skynet has already caused the nuclear holocaust.

washingtonpost.com: You mean, if there was no Skynet, it couldn't have sent Arnold back in the first place, right? I think?

Liz Kelly: We don't know all the details, though. Perhaps Daniel is a time traveler from the 1970s, meaning he really was there when Charlotte was a wee girl. Probably not, but my point is that Jin's and Daniel's experiences could both be different, meaning different explanations would be possible.

Jen Chaney: Also, Charlotte seemed, like Theresa, to be experiencing multiple times at once. One second she was talking like a little girl, the next she was an adult again and knew exactly where she was. So perhaps she was able to see time from a broader perspetive and "remember" things that Daniel and others could not?

Alexandria: "Rousseau didn't remember Jin because he hadn't traveled back in time yet"... but Daniel hasn't yet traveled back in time to tell Charlotte she's going to die (I mean, first she had to die, so he could know to tell her about it, right?), so how did she remember that? I don't think that's the answer.

Also, just because Ben has been trying to keep the Oceanic 6 alive doesn't make him a good guy. I'm willing to believe he's been doing exactly that, but I have no doubt he's doing it for his own purposes, not out of any altruism or desire to help the 6. If his purposes were better served by them all being dead, he'd work just as hard to get them all killed.

Liz Kelly: Agreed -- the only thing that has me thinking Jen has been right (ouch, that hurts) is that Michael Emerson himself told me that not only does he think Ben is motivated by good intentions but that he thinks the writers are of the same opinion. That's pretty tough to argue with, though I suppose it's possible that he was totally misdirecting me.

Jen Chaney: Hey, if Emerson said it, it must be true. I mean, the man is Ben Linus. And if Ben Linus says something about himself, then you have to take it at face ... oh, crud.

No, seriously. I think I'm right and I am glad Liz finally sees the error of her Bad Henry Gale ways.

Liz Kelly: I think Jen is pushing it and that we may ultimately find that although Ben is motivated by good intentions, he allowed his morals to be corrupted by his desire to achieve his ends. A wrong as a means to a right tends to tarnish the whole enterprise.

Jen Chaney: No, I totally agree with that, and think I have said so in the past. Obviously the guy has done horrible, horrible things. All I'm saying is that what he wants to achieve may ultimately be for the greater good, even though his path to that place has been paved with lies and dead Keamys and deceased Goodwins.

Seattle: Am I the only one who noticed that Jacob/Christian did NOT tell Locke to bring back the Oceanic 6? That it all may be in Locke's head?

Also, if they do bring back Locke's body, is there a good change he'll come back Christian Shepard-style?

Liz Kelly: He did not, but Richard Alpert did tell Locke he needed to return the O6 to the island, so I doubt it is in Locke's head.

And I'm hoping for the "Weekend at Bernie's" treatment for dead Locke (he he -- deadlock -- haha). I need sleep.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, that's why I asked in the post this morning who's side Christian is on? He doesn't seem to be in Ben and Jack's "We have to go back!" camp, but I wouldn't assume he's in cahoots with Widmore necessarily. Although that's possible.

McLean, Va.: Have we ever been shown the "Arrow" station, which Candle/Chang/whoever referred to in the season premiere? So far, I recall the Swan (our original beloved hatch), the Pearl (where they watched the Swan), the Hydra (where Jack was held in a big fish tank), the Flame (where McPatchy was stationed and which Locke blew up), the Looking Glass (poor Charlie), and the Orchid, but I can't remember seeing the Arrow.

Also, how many episodes do we have left this season and how many are slated for the final season?

Jen Chaney: I don't think we have seen the Arrow station. Liz, confirmation?

And as far as episodes go, if memory serves, there are supposed to be 17 this season, 16 plus a bonus to make up for last year's writer's-strike-shortened season.

I believe the final season will consist of 16.

Liz Kelly: We have actually seen The Arrow.

It was the station the Tailies (Ana Lucia, Mr. Eko, Bernard, Libby, etc.) used for a home base in Season 2 -- and where they took Sawyer, Jin and Michael after they captured them (thinking they were others). I believe the tailies found a hollowed out bible containing a snippet of Dharma film, a glass eye and a two-way radio -- on which Bernard heard Boone's transmission from Yemi's Beechcraft.

Jen Chaney: Oh, right! I need to study season two again myself, clearly.

Thanks for that reminder.

Seattle, not Libya: So now that Locke has reset the wheel, should we be seeing less skipping - or are we still on track for more shirtless moments for the male cast members?

Liz Kelly: Good question. Maybe we should devote some time to building a "Lost" My Shirt photo gallery.

But that reminds me, I've been reviewing Season 2 of the show for a special secret project and am really struck by the contrast in Sawyer's character. He may still be smokin' hot, but his character is downright boring compared to the Sawyer of two seasons back. Remember the Sawyer who faked an Others attack on Sun, stole the guns from the hatch and crushed a tree frog because it annoyed him? He was edgy and we never knew what to expect from him. I want that Sawyer back.

Jen Chaney: You don't look mushy, I could almost touch Kate Sawyer?

Could the flashes be making him more boring?

Jen Chaney: I meant like, not look. Sorry.

Arlington, Va.: Am I the only one who thought that, when Charlotte was making her deathbed confessions, that she was going to tell about just now remembering a boy she befriended on the Island -- and it was Ben -- or that she used to go by the name of "Annie"?

Jen Chaney: That thought crossed my mind, but I don't think she is Annie. I mean, I suppose she could be ... I have to think Annie will refigure into this at some point.

Liz Kelly: Personally, I was hoping she'd explain more about the whole Tunisia connection.

Rousseau / Jin: I think the reason she doesn't recognize him in 2004 is because it's 16 years later and she only saw him for a matter of hours, right? And she spent the intervening 16 years completely celinedion crazy.

Liz Kelly: I'm only responding here because I love that you said "celinedion" crazy.

That's possible -- though I think the answer we pointed to in the analysis from Jeff Jensen and again above -- is probably closer to the truth.

It just seems that Rousseau would remember something like that. It isn't as if she's running into hundreds of people on the island in that 16 years. There aren't a lot of faces to keep track of.

Jen Chaney: Yes, this is by far what seems to be bugging people the most, these little gaps in the time travel logic. I agree, it doesn't make sense that she wouldn't remember him, unless what we cited in the post is true, that Jin hadn't traveled back in time until early 2005, so when Rousseau met him in 2004, she hadn't previously met him until later.

Honest to God, I swear that last sentence made sense in my head.

Raleigh, N.C.: So, the Smoke Monster can take over people's minds? (It did it with Rousseau's boyfriend) This is new - right?

Also, did the wheel fall of it's axis because Locke didn't push it? And, did his not pushing it cause the temporal shifts? And if so, did they stop after he did his job? Making Ben's plan not about saving the island - but about something else.

Liz Kelly: My impression was that Rousseau's boyfriend's possession was of a piece with Smokey's known history of taking on the form of others -- like when he materialized into Mr. Eko's brother, Yemi, and I would assume Smokey was also the voice we heard coming from the pit under the temple, claiming to be the French guy who had recently lost an arm.

Speaking of which -- that scene really reminded me of a book I read a couple years back, "The Ruins," in which a murderous vine traps a group of tourists on a Mexican hilltop. It is able to mimic voices and tries to lure them down into a well shaft in the exact same way.

I think a movie was made -- I didn't see it. I bet Jen did, tho. She's seen every movie ever made.

Jen Chaney: A movie was made, although I didn't see it. I'm pretty sure the DVD lies somewhere on DVD Mountain, otherwise known as my desk.

Re: the wheel, I assume Ben's pushed dislodged it, but that it got more dislodged than he intended, which is why it kept skipping. I presume that after Locke pulls it, the temporal shifts will stop it. But I think we'll know for sure after next week.

Baltimore: How about "'Lost' My Shirt" T-shirts? With pics of all the half naked guys? I'd buy it.

Liz Kelly: Jen, we may have finally found a way to monetize our work!

Jen Chaney: Sweet! How about "I 'Lost' My Shirt ... at washingtonpost.com's 'Lost Central' Page"? Eh? Eh?

It has a nice ring.

Arlington, Va.: Call me sappy, but I almost got a lump in my throat when Jin met up with his fellow Losties

Jen Chaney: Sappy.

Jen Chaney: No, just kidding. I find myself reacting more emotionally to various moments in general this season. I mean, when Hurley threw that Hot Pocket, I could NOT stop crying.

Liz Kelly: Ignoring Jen's callous reaction to your heartfelt admission, I will add that Mr. Liz and I looked at each other and shared a poignant look when Jin and Sawyer were reunited.

Jen's just playing it tough. She's just like that Kate. A tough shell surrounding a center of Dharma marshmallows.

Jen Chaney: Dude, I almost cried during the first five minutes of the show. Y'all know I'm the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Woman.

See, my husband doesn't watch "Lost" with me. So I have no one to share meaningful glances with during episodes.

(Tear)

Liz Kelly: You can come watch with us, Jen. Our couch seats three.

Jen Chaney: Aw, thanks.

(What I would do without Liz? Sha la la...)

Burke, Va.: Did you notice Ben's seeming panicked face at the mention of the name Faraday when Desmond mentions it?

washingtonpost.com: Yes! Thank you.

Liz Kelly: Well, it wasn't just the name Faraday, but the revelation that the woman inside the church -- Ms. Hawking -- is Faraday's mother. We have to imagine that Ben, who knows everything, knew who was on that freighter. He had files on all the Losties and -- and -- he had Michael on the freighter feeding him information. That can't have been the first time he'd heard Faraday's name.

Jen Chaney: And perhaps he knows that Faraday is Widmore's son, or at the very least the recipient of his funding.

20165: This season of "Lost" has, in the opinion of this 37-year-old TV expert, has been the best season of any drama ever. Yeah, you heard me. The pace is breakneck, the plots are bafflingly intriguing, the characters are stupendout and humor is not ignored. Love it, love it, love it.

Jen Chaney: Agreed, agreed, agreed.

I usually take notes when I watch, and at one point last night, I wrote down: This is the best show ever.

Liz Kelly: Yet viewership has gone down. The more pure the story-telling, the less appealing the show becomes for the casual viewer. Luckily, we are guaranteed another season -- ratings success or not. Suck it, corporate monkeys!

Jen Chaney: Well, interesting thing about that: "Lost" is the most viewed show online.

These days, Nielsen ratings only give one slice of the viewership picture.

Liz Kelly: Good point, Jen Chaney.

Maryland: Not to belabor this idea, but here is one major flaw in the idea that Rousseau didn't recognize Jin because he hadn't gone back yet:

He saved her life. He stopped her from going down the smokemonster's hole. If he wasn't there to do that, than she would have joined her buddies, gotten sick, and died. So, he had to have been there the first time. Right?

Jen Chaney: Well, Maryland, I have to quote from the astute observations of producer Paul on this one. We were discussing this earlier today via IM -- the only way to have insightful debates -- and Paul pointed out that in the "Lost" universe, things course correct. As Ms. Hawking mentioned back when she met Desmond in season three, the universe will right itself to arrange for the preferred outcome.

So if Jin wasn't there to save Rousseau, someone or something else would have.

Bethesda, Md.: Do you think Charlotte is really dead? Or will Daniel find a way to bring her back?

Jen Chaney: I think she is dead, but I don't think the character is dead, if that makes sense.

Liz Kelly: Makes sense to me. Depending on Daniel's success at rewriting history, Charlotte may never be on that freighter to begin with and never return to the island.

I'm telling you, though, that if this show ends with some kind of Donnie Darko resetting of time and everyone forgetting what happened, I will be royally annoyed.

I love Jin: I think Jin may be okay with Sun coming back to the island, as long as the baby is okay. I think he somehow knows now that the baby can't be born on the island. But if he knew 3 years hence Sun is the one returning, it may be a bit different of a story. He did say "Baby" when trying to explain why Sun can't return to the death island.

Liz Kelly: I dunno. Charlotte's warning to keep Sun from returning was pretty strong stuff. I think Jin is serious in his desire for Sun to not return. He's willing to give up ever seeing her again in the hopes that she made it home and is safe with their daughter.

Jen Chaney: She didn't say Sun, though, let's remember. She just said her. Now, it's natural to assume that's who she meant. But that is an assumption. And you know what those do to you and me...

Austin, Tex.: I watch "Lost" at the local movie theater. It's fun to experience the group reactions. The Jin and Sawyer reunion elicited a spontaneous group "awww."

Liz Kelly: That sounds like fun.

Seattle, Washed Up: So does that make her little orphan Annie ...

Jen Chaney: Yes. And Vincent is Sandy the dog.

Liz Kelly: Who is the Asp? None of our Losties are particularly flexible.

Jen Chaney: I don't know, but I think we all agree that Locke is Daddy Warbucks.

Alexandria, Va.: Did anyone else notice that Nadine seemed to resemble Charlotte?

Jen Chaney: I thought that. And then I thought that was one of those wacky things that probably couldn't be true. Anyone else?

Anchorage: The Tunisia connection: it is the exact opposite side of the world (the antipode) from the south pacific! http://www.antipodemap.com/

My guess: the wormhole sends you to the opposite side of the globe.

Jen Chaney: I think this has been noted before by some other smart person. But worth noting either way.

After seeing "Donnie Darko," who doesn't love a good, old-fashioned wormhole?

Stephens City, Va.: The thing that confuses me most in the episode "This Place is Death" is after Locke falls to the bottom of the well, Christian Shepherd appears and reprimands Locke (albeit kindly) because in Jacob's cabin, Locke was told to turn the donkey wheel, but Locke let Ben do it instead. It also appears Locke is the one tasked with returning the Oceanic Six to the island, but, again, it is Ben who is actually doing that work this season.

Why would Locke again allow Ben to carry out a mission assigned to Locke, especially after Christian Shepherd made it clear to Locke that when Locke is given a task, Locke should do the task and not Ben. Is it possible Ben killed Locke after Locke returns to the U.S. from the island so Ben can return the Oceanic Six to the island for Ben's purposes and not necessarily for Jacob's purposes? Any opinions on this topic from anyone?

Liz Kelly: Hmmm. Okay, I'm processing that. You've definitely got something there -- but I don't know that it is quite as you sketch it out.

Ben and John both seem to have been tapped to be island leaders or prime movers in the larger island agenda. It isn't surprising that they would both eventually start moving in the same direction, even if they don't necessarily consider themselves to be on the same team.

And I think Ben's insistence on jumping ahead of Locke may be innocent rather than sinister. He's the kind of guy who thinks he's the only one capable of doing the job right himself. He carries the weight of the world -- or the island -- on his shoulders and although he knows John is meant to perform certain tasks, he is not going to trust such a monumental job to an amateur.

Or something like that. I'm thinking out loud.

Jen Chaney: Look at this, ladies and gentlemen: "I think Ben's insistence on jumping ahead of Locke may be innocent rather than sinister."

Innocent rather than sinister. Liz's turnaround on Ben honestly might start giving me nosebleeds.

But I love it!

Liz Kelly: Hey, when I make up my mind, I make up my mind.

Alexandria, Va: Nadine? Who was that? From last night?

Jen Chaney: The woman on Rousseau's team who bit it early in the episode.

Season 2 Sawyer WAS one-dimensional!: All he ever cared about was himself and his own comfort, and what he could do to best help himself. "The Long Con" wasn't edgy, it was Sawyer being Sawyer again after we thought he was finally buying into the group in "The Hunting Party."

He starting morphing into Sawyer as we currently know him last season in "The Shape of Things to Come" after he gained the ability to block bullets with Red Shirts and flimsy picnic tables - and realized things were crazy enough he couldn't just rely on himself anymore.

I'm still waiting for things to settle down enough for the original Sawyer to come back, but I'm thinking it might not happen until the Oceanic Six get back.

Liz Kelly: He's relatively one-dimensional now, though, too. I think he was actually a much fuller character back in the day when he was pulled between his core being (which is a stand up guy) and his many years of being a rotten con man.

But there's time. Did everyone read the EW cover story in this week's issue? Apparently the second half of the season will be much more character driven than the first, so we may see more opportunities for some of these nuances. First, though, the writers need to get us through setting up the endgame.

Jen Chaney: Personally, I just want Sawyer to call people nicknames and make passing references to "Star Wars." Oh, and wear funny glasses while Hurley calls him Harry Potter.

Arlington, Va.: What do you ladies think of this one...

Ben, like Michael, has to fulfill some mission in order to make up for killing his father and whoever else he has killed. Like Michael had to come back and save the Losties in order to die ...

That is what Ben's mission is. Not to get to the island but to finally die...

Liz Kelly: I dunno. Ben strikes me as the kind of guy who likes being alive.

Jen Chaney: Interesting. Well, this show is all about atoning for sins, that's for sure. I kinda hope there is a little more meat to the Ben story than that, but that could be part of the larger picture.

Alexandria, Va.: My favourite line of the episode was "Mmm turn it up. I love Geronimo Jackson!"

She did such a good job last night, I'm sorry to see her go. And I didn't really like her before! She finally turned me! Dangit.

Liz Kelly: My fave was this exchange:

Faraday: Do you speak any other languages?
Charlotte: Just Klingon.

In and of itself, it is not hilarious, but considering the context -- that Charlotte was able to joke around when she was getting sicker and sicker -- it was just really sweet.

Jen Chaney: The Encino comment from Miles was also a classic.

But I have to confess that I made "Turn it up, I love Geronimo Jackson" my Facebook status. I have made a commitment to relate all status updates back to "Lost" until the season is over. It requires tremendous effort on my part, but I feel someone has to do it.

Austin, Tex.: You two should requisition a trip down here and write a Style section story on it. I'll buy the beer.

Ann Hornaday is familiar with the theater from her time here, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema.

Liz Kelly: I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem. We can just sell a few more print editions to finance our trip.

Jen Chaney: Not to mention T-shirts. And if you're buying the beers, then obviously we're there!

I actually have a good friend who lives in Austin, so I know how awesome the Drafthouse theaters are.

Silver Spring, Md.: "She didn't say Sun, though, let's remember. She just said her."

Exactly. Just like the various warnings about "raising him" and "bringing him back."

Liz Kelly: Good point. And this is a show where we know practically every word counts.

Jen Chaney: Hmmm. What exactly did you mean by "practically," Liz?

Liz Kelly: Well, I was allowing for some early seasons when they hadn't quite figured out where everything was going. So, for instance, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying over Paolo or Nikki's lines.

NJ: Do you think that Hawking is working with Ben, or with Widmore? If Widmore gave Hawking's address so willingly to Desmond, and he was funding Daniel's unethical research, it make you wonder who's side Hawking is really on, doesn't it?

Liz Kelly: I have a feeling Ms. Hawking is willing to play both sides in order to reach her end -- which, we have to assume, is helping her son. Or not.

Jen Chaney: I agree, she may be working two angles at least here.

Charlottesville: What if Christian Shepherd is playing Ben and Locke against each other, setting them both up with the same task to see which gets it done?

Liz Kelly: That occurred to me, too, and again had me thinking of the entire thing as a game, with rules -- hence the reason Shepard wasn't allowed to help Locke up to reach the wheel.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, there has to be a reason for that. I mean, that was just plain rude. And Christian was dead-sober, so really, no excuse.

Washington, D.C.: In previous seasons, we've heard "The Sickness" referred to without clarification. We've even witnessed Desmond injecting himself with what can only be presumed to an antidote (or at minimum, a placebo designed to represent an antidote) for said sickness.

This season, I thought that we might finally be getting clarification on the origins of the sickness plotline when the time traveling nosebleed craziness began, and everyone started referring to that as "getting sick." After last night's episode though, and the sickness that we witnessed the Frenchies come down with after their dinner party with Smokey, are we to presume that there are two separate sicknesses on the island? Completely unrelated? Is one "The Sickness," and the other something else? I'm more confused than ever. Thoughts?

Liz Kelly: The nosebleed thing isn't so much a sickness as the body's inability to take being buffeted through time and space. It's like an overtaxed battery giving out.

The sickness Rousseau's crew dies from seems to be related to Smokey somehow, yes. But they don't appear to be sick so much as deranged. She shoots them all, remember -- they don't show any outward appearances of having an actual illness -- other than lunacy.

As for Des and his injections. My thinking on that was that those injections were placebos and the risk of getting sick outside the hatch was a myth perpetuated to keep him from exploring the island.

Jen Chaney: Re: Des's injections, yes. In fact, didn't he ultimately discover they were placebos and that the business about him staying inside the hatch was (obviously) just a huge lie?

Columbia, Md.: So does the fact the rifle didn't go off, allowing Rosseau and her child to live, mean that the island did not want her to die at that point?

And if so, does that mean the island wanted Ben to raise Alex, and watch her die in front of him?

Or am I overreaching?

Jen Chaney: I don't think that's overreaching at all. Definitely a plausible theory, given Michael's similar inability to shoot a gun.

Manassas, Va.: In Season One, Rousseau claimed that the other members of her party got "the sickness" from The Others after visiting the Black Rock. Nothing about a temple or a smokey-hole. It clearly seems the writers changed their mind later in order to advance the story a different way.

Liz Kelly: Jen, that does ring a bell. Any thoughts?

Jen Chaney: I need to take a look at that season one episode again, the one where she meets Sayid. But yes, I believe she did say they got the sickness.

And I don't think that's at odds with what she said in last night's episode. After her boyfriend escaped the clutches of the Smoke Monster, she said "You're sick." So she may have been remembering the effect the monster had on them, and not the monster itself.

Also, she talked a lot about the whispering during season one. And that's certainly in keeping with what we've seen on the show since.

Hey, I forgot to mention this in the blog, but did anyone else think that the spot where Rousseau stopped in the jungle, before Smoky showed up, was the same spot where she was later killed?

Farragut Square: Did anyone else think Charlotte's eyes were terrifying during her death scene? She looked possessed.

Jen Chaney: Yes! Oh man, that was an "Exorcist" moment. I fully expected her to spit up some pea soup.

Liz Kelly: Well, come on now, death is a pretty undignified moment. Give the poor girl a break.

At least we hopefully won't be seeing that horrible footage of Charlotte passing out from her nosebleed the first time again. She looks so goofy in that -- Mr. Liz and I laughed every time.

Jen Chaney: I was thinking more of the "This place is death!" scene than her actual death scene, which was much more peaceful.

This place is death -- that's such a great phrase. I plan to work it into everyday conversation as much as possible.

Washington: Er, am I missing something? Nadine from Rousseau's team looked an awful lot like Nadine who was the first one from the freighter on the island that Locke killed.

Liz Kelly: That was Naomi, tho. And she was brunette.

Silver Spring, Md.: If Christian has no corporeal existence, he can't touch Locke, and therefore can't help him up.

Jen Chaney: Oooh. You're good.

Baltimore: "She didn't say Sun, though, let's remember. She just said her."

Perhaps Charlotte meant Ms. Hawking?

Jen Chaney: Or she could have meant Kate, since Kate would be Aaron's Constant, no?

Liz Kelly: Or perhaps she meant Courtney Love. Because that would be pretty disastrous -- bring her to the island.

Alexandria, Va.: So, Locke stops the wheel from skipping. But where (when, actaully) did he stop it? Are Sawyer and that group in 1975, 1955 or 2125?

Liz Kelly: Based on this pic of Ben and this pic of Locke, they turn the wheel in the same direction. Remember, Locke is pulling.

Fairfax, Va.: How smart is my brother-in-law? I asked him whether he watched Lost and this was his reply:

"Yes, I do watch it. And everything I predicted in Season 1 is coming true and I'm almost positive now that the show will end the exact way I predicted back then. On top of that they are just now introducing Foucault's Pendulum (I'm pretty sure that's what Daniel Farraday's mom has). Which by the way, I read that book 'Foucault's Pendulum' many years ago, and only just remembered last night while walking the dog that the author's name was Umberto Eco - Probably not just a coincidence that 'Lost' had a character named Eko."

Not surprising -- he works at NIH.

Liz Kelly: Well maybe we should just get your brother-in-law in here to host this show. Jen and I could use a break.

Jen Chaney: He could be a special guest star. Our own Ms. Hawking, if you will.

Liz: The smoke monster couldn't have been pretending to be crazy Robert. Danielle shot all the french dudes, whereas Yemi was just a figment of Eko's imagination. Though I agree that the smoke monster can make people see and hear things (I thought the same thing about it impersonating the guy's voice in the temple), I don't think it can take over someone's body.

Liz Kelly: Agreed -- I wasn't saying that Robert was a manifestation. I'm saying that since we know the Smoke Monster possessed the ability to shape shift into other people, that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he could also take over Robert's body and mind -- even while he was still alive.

Annandale, Va.: If you listen closely to the radio when Jin is on the beach, it sounds like Hurley's voice repeating those numbers (4 8 15 16 23 42). Given his history with numbers and luck, it seems possible he was back in the hatch during that time. Possible or not?

Liz Kelly: At this point, yes.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, but I listened to an enhanced recording of that. And it really didn't sound like Hurley to me.

For starters, he didn't say dude. Not once.

Sherman: Enough of this "who is Jacob" talk. What I want to know is: is Vincent really Mr. Peabody, and is Ben's Magic Box really the Wayback Machine?

Jen Chaney: Yes. And young Benjamin Linus is Sherman. Seriously, he totally looks like him.

Ghost Michael?: Did you see the ads during LOST for the new series "The Unusuals"? I swear I saw a flash of "Michael". So I guess he really did get blowed up? Hopefully he can still make a few appearances as Ghost Michael.

Jen Chaney: Yes, they showed those ads last week, too. And that is indeed Harold Perrineau.

I kinda think Michael is dead, yeah. Poor Walt, both the Taller Ghost Version and the one who, apparently, eats Tysons any-tizers.

Ben as "Good"?: Are we talking about the same Ben Linus that gassed (murdered) the entire Dharma Initiative? Not quite sure how he wound up in the "good guy" column.

Liz Kelly: But, remember, he was told to kill the Dharma folks -- by Jacob. And he was really young at that point. It doesn't give him a get out of jail free card, but there were some mitigating circumstances.

I can't believe I have become a Ben Linus apologist.

Jen Chaney: Seriously, this is the best thing that's ever happened to the "Lost" Dueling Analysis.

Again, he does very bad things. Very, very bad. But what he wants to achieve may actually be good. Does that make sense, kind of?

Liz Kelly: Jen, we're going to have to find something else to disagree on. We can't always be backing each other up. It feels unnatural.

Jen Chaney: No, you're wrong. We don't have to disagree!

Ahhhh. That's better.

Chambersburg, Pa.: I agree with this morning's assessment of the incredible acting done by Yunjin Kim. Ms. Kim has shown great range & growth. I still get chills when watching her on the helicopter in last season's finale.

And when will Michael Emerson, quite possibly the greatest actor working today, garner an Emmy, or more (Nobel? Pulitzer?)? Who else deserves one more?

I read online today that, while Sun will be returning to the island, she and Jin might not meet! Which raises, to me, a few questions/theories - What about Ji Yeon? Will she return with Sun?

There is a theory floating around Internetland that the O6 and the remaining survivors might not be on the island in the same time period. Meaning, once the O6 return, the time jumping ceases. What if the remaining Losties are stuck in the distant past/future?

Love your work ladies and eagerly look forward to reading your analysis and chats. Keep up the phenomenal job!

Liz Kelly: Thanks for writing this in -- that's something that occurred to me, too, especially when I saw the photo in EW of Kate, Hurley and Jack in what looks like a return to the island. They are wearing leis and standing in front of some bright, shiny new VW microbuses in the Dharma Compound. Looked to me like they'd returned to the '70s.

Jen Chaney: Yes, and the idea of everyone being in the same place but somehow separated by time is a potentially heartbreaking scenario that I like very much.

Liz Kelly: Okay, we are way past our stopping point here. Please continue the discussion in the blog comments thread and we'll see you back here next week.

Jen Chaney: As always, thanks for all the great questions and insights. Each week, these discussions keep getting better and better.

This place is so not death.

(See? Already part of my everyday conversation.)

Adios, everyone.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity