Freedom Rock

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
J. Freedom du Lac
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 3, 2009; 2:00 PM

Washington Post music critic J. Freedom du Lac is online every Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET to talk about the latest on the music scene: alternative, country, alt-country, pop, hyphy, harp-rock, reggae, reggaeton, R and B and whatever it is that Nicole Scherzinger does.

The transcript follows.

washingtonpost.com: Black Lips' '200 Million': Serviceable

washingtonpost.com: Squeal the Love; The Jonas Brothers, Bigger Than Ever In 3-D Concert Film

washingtonpost.com: Blog: Post Rock

J. Freedom du Lac: Welcome to the beginning of the end.

No, this is not a comment on the economy. (I'll leave that to

James McMurtry

Stevie

Wonder

Bruce Springsteen

John Rich

Young Jeezy

and, um,

Phil Collins

, along with my colleagues on TWP's financial desk.)

It's just time to say sorta-sayonara.

Or, as the leonine rock legend sang:

This is the endMy only friend, the endOf our elaborate plans, the endOf everything that stands, the endNo safety or surprise, the endI'll never look into your eyes, again.

No more weekly Freedom Rock chats after this one. The show's been canceled. Or at least put on hiatus, to be rolled back out during sweeps, WGA strikes and whenever Sietsema doesn't show up.

That's what I get for calling that poster an idiot a few weeks ago, I guess!

Actually, the chat will be on the Live Online schedule periodically, usually tied to a specific story or subject. But you won't have me to kick around anymore on a weekly basis in this space. For that, you'll have to go to

the Post Rock blog

, or to

our wacky email submission program

. (If you have a question that you'd normally ask in the chat - and it's not about Tool or TWP's coverage of trite indie acts - go ahead and email it to me and Malitz and I will consider answering it on the blog.)

Anyway ... onward.

San Franciso, Calif.: Last week you mentioned the Black Lips in an aside. Do you have an opinion on them live? I love "Let it Bloom" and "Los Valientes del Mundo Nuevo," and the band is coming to the Great American Music Hall in April, BUT: I am a poor student, and perhaps more to the point, so are my friends. What should I tell them to get them to go with me? $18 could so easily be spent on nine cups of coffee instead.

J. Freedom du Lac: Greatest garage-rock freak show on Earth. Even GG Allin might have paid for a ticket to see these dudes. Splurge for a ticket and go see 'em live. (Be sure to check out "200 Million Thousand," too. It's really good.)

By the by, there's a terrific Vietnamese dive near the Great American Music Hall. But I can't remember the name of it. (And there are a ton of VN restos in that area, so don't bother trying to guess.) I just remember having a crab dish there that was off the charts.

Ben Israeli: How many people does the 9:30 Club hold at capacity? Maybe it's just because bigger name bands play there in relation to other venues in the city but concerts there have been selling out months in advance. I mean, is there any reason for Katy Perry to sell out four months in advance?

J. Freedom du Lac: I think it maxes out at 1,200. Katy Perry is insanely popular with a particular demographic - basically, teen girls. She had one of the biggest hits of 2008. And still hasn't gone away. No surprise that she sold out quickly. Ditto Lady GaGa's two shows. And the Ting Tings.

Though, you know, if you put all three of those acts in a Bermuda Triangle-bound boat and they never came back ... I wouldn't mind.

Herndon, Va.: It's a shame they didn't open your JoBros3D review for comments, was looking forward to it. Please share some of the email you got.

J. Freedom du Lac: It was open for comments, for, like, three days. But, you know, the kids don't read newspapers (or newspaper Web sites) anymore!

I couldn't resist re-using the hot/cute/other descriptions of Joe/Nick/Kevin, given that

the blowback

following

my 2008 JoBros story

was so awesome.

Here are a couple of emails reacting to the review. (I knew it was going to be an awesome screening, btw, when I saw a girl waving a glow stick in the theater during the previews.)

I went onto my computer this morning to find an outraged email from my friend. What was this email about, you ask? Yet ANOTHER article the defines Kevin Jonas as "the other one." It was extremely hard to believe that someone would have the nerve to write this a second time, when the first time this author was sent multiple emails by outraged fans like me. This is definitely upsetting, and not true. Kevin Jonas ahs all of the qualities the other brothers have, and some of his own unique qualities that makes him loved my millions of fans around the world. Please think next time before you call Kevin Jonas "the other one." That would be greatly appreciated.

Laura, a huge Kevin Jonas fan

Hello, my name is Liz and I am a 16 year old Jonas Brothers advocate. I have been supporting them since Nick was doing his solo project back in 2003. I have never once thought of Kevin as "the other one" and neither should anyone else! I read your article on the Jonas Brothers 3D Movie this Saturday morning in the Post and was quite disappointed. I have seen writers say this about Kevin numerous times, and I just shook my head. Now, I am taking the time to voice my opinion. I am speaking on behalf of every girl that will read the article when I say that that comment was unnecessary and disrespectful. This comment is offensive to not only me, but also to all the girls that think of him as a full member of the group, as opposed to someone to be dismissed. They are just three, EQUAL brothers doing what they love. Focus on their music for a change! That's what I've been doing all these years.

Washington, D.C.: Where can I find a good live version of Springsteen's Night for download?

J. Freedom du Lac: Web-savvy Springsteenologists: Any ideas?

20782: sorry to hear this news. I've enjoyed these chats a lot. Maybe I'll see you more on ebob.

J. Freedom du Lac: I've enjoyed some of them. Some have been complete duds, though. I blame the audience. It's never the host's fault. Ever.

I'm looking forward to making it an occasional series, actually. Less potential for crickets and tumbleweeds and boring exchanges about the Silver Jews.

The Game: I'm relatively new to your chats. Can you explain the rules of the Bon Jovi game played last week? I found it (much to your chagrin?) massively amusing.

J. Freedom du Lac: Welcome, and goodbye!

No rules, other than it had to play off of Bon Jovi.

Like, video-game band: Tron Jovi.

Islamic band: Qur'an Jovi.

Senior-home band: Hey Kids, Get Off My Lawn Jovi.

High Times house band: Bong Jovi.

Etc etc.

jo bro advocate...: doesn't beat that spread in Style w/the word for word emails. That was one of the greatest things ever done by the Post.

J. Freedom du Lac: I really should have quit right then and there. Would've, too, if I'd been eligible for a buyout.

I actually submitted that piece with all the emails to the Da Capo Best Music Writing editor. My favorite piece of 2008.

Adequate American Music Hall: The late lamented Herb Caen used to call Larkin Street the Ho Chi Minh Trail due to the number of Vietnamese restaurants, great and otherwise.

J. Freedom du Lac: Could be that Herb Caen was also referring to the prostitutes who work the Tenderloin, too. Just sayin... (Plus, there's the Mitchell Brothers O'Farrell Theater next to the Great American Music Hall. Don't ask how I know that.)

Springfield, Va.: very sorry to hear that you won't be a regular chat host anymore.

J. Freedom du Lac: The timing is perfect, though, what with fantasy baseball season about to begin. A man's gotta defend his title, you know.

Bandstand, Birchmere: I have been to a lot of shows at the Birchmere, but no bandstand shows. See that Jamey Johnson will be in the bandstand. What are those shows like? Can you hear the artist or is there too much shuffling about getting beers and what not? Thanks! (And, thanks to your chat for exposing/alerting me to him... you are more reliable than the genius bar on iTunes.)

J. Freedom du Lac: You know, there isn't a week that goes by where I don't listen to Jamey Johnson at least once. Just this morning, in fact, I played his jaw-dropping cover of Waylon's "Dreaming My Dreams With You" for my baby boy.

I have very, very high hopes for that show. I said recently - and I still feel this way - that if I could do my 2008 year-end list over again, I'd move "That Lonesome Song" up to No. 1. It's such a great album.

The energy/noise levels at the Birchmere bandstand shows really depend on the artist. When Jenny Lewis performed there a while back, the kids were perfectly quiet at all the appropriate points -- such as the beginning of the show, when Miss Lewis and the Watson Twins started the show by singing a cappella, sans microphones, on their way to the stage. It was a truly stunning opening.

Whereas for, say, a Dave Alvin or Iguanas show, there's plenty of ambient noise, including clinking beer bottles.

Pennsylvania: What's with the disappearing chats? I guess I'll get more done during my day now, but I really liked this feature of the website. I very much enjoyed getting to know the journalists behind the byline. Bring back the chats!

J. Freedom du Lac: Oh, we'll still have plenty of chats. Only, the regular hosts will be all the popular kids.

But don't you worry your pretty little head. I'll be back every now and again to help you waste time.

Kent: Will Jimmy Falon be taking over this chat?

J. Freedom du Lac: Forget him. Bring on Justin Timberlake! Or maybe ?uestlove.

L'enfant Plaza, Washington, D.C.: J. Free--

How is it possible that your chat got canceled with so many other lame chats every day? Are they that expensive to produce? Would it help if we mailed in pennies? Is this all really because you talk too much about obscure indie bands?

J. Freedom du Lac: Oh, I'm sure some of the other lame chats will also be canceled, or at least made irregular, like this one. If not? I'll either stage a sit-in or play an endless loop of Yoko Ono doing that primal scream thing outside of the executive producer's office. Or, maybe I'll just figure out a way to trade for Ian Kinsler, instead.

But seriously, send your burning chat-style questions to Malitz and me. We just got a nifty new email address: postrock(at)wpost(dot)com. (Noe that it's wpost, not washpost.com, which is what my other email address uses, or wpni.com, which is what David's other addy uses. Nice and streamlined, we are.)

Anonymous: I can hear the call now:

Bono: "Hey, Warren, B here..."

Buffet: "My man, what can I do for you?"

Bono: "You own a chunk of the Washington Post, right?"

Buffet: "Sure do, that's why they're one of two non-bankrupt newspapers in the country."

Bono: "Well, seems their music critic gave a less than adoring review to our new album. And we really need the DC market to buy this product. Anything you can do to help?"

Buffet: "You just let me handle it..."

So, you're the victim of unseen hands, the ones that manipulate all human events. Just go with it...

J. Freedom du Lac: Why weren't your posts this interesting before? The chat might not have been canceled if you'd pulled your weight. Thanks a lot.

But yeah, sounds about right. Somehow, I think I'll just blame Ticketmaster, though. It's the in thing to do.

Just got done watching the first of U2's five-night run on Letterman, via YouTube. Promising start. I think I'll review the set of 'em when the week is over.

Alexandria, Va.: It serves you right for getting canceled. As a 16 year old Jonas Brothers advocate I am glad that you will no longer have this platform to spew your JB hate, especially for the other one. I just appreciate the music as I have for many years!

J. Freedom du Lac: I literally laughed out loud when they showed Kevin spinning with his guitar, in 3D.

The little girls in the theater, who were already wondering what a creepy old man was doing in the back row, probably began texting 911 right about then.

Goodbyeeeee!: Such sad news! Well, maybe that's an overstatement. There were good bits: the Bon Jovi Game (which I invented), the posts about The Fall (all of which came from me). In fact, just about anything even remotely connected with me was great. And there were terrible bits: the endless Springsteen discussions, the dire intro blurb, and just about anything that didn't involve me. So, all in all, I will miss this discussion forum, in the same way a dog owner misses scooping the crap from his lawn after his faithful companion has died as a result of being flattened by a falling safe.

And I will depart with a final Bon Jovi Game(TM) submission in honor of this very last discussion: Gone Jovi.

J. Freedom du Lac: WINNER!

Perfect tone in the ramp-up, too.

That reminds me: I need to get a Springsteen special scheduled in May. Finally, and officially, an all-Springsteen chat!

Conyers, Ga.: So who can we write a letter to? I needs my pop fix every week. Speaking of which have you had a chance to listen to Neko Case's new album? Thoughts? Planning on picking it up after work.

J. Freedom du Lac: Send your letter to postrock(at)wpost(dot)com so we can make fun of you. I'm really going to miss that.

Seriously, though, don't write letters. Just come back when I do and post some questions.

I am kind of in line with Joe Heim on the new Neko. (And I'm not just saying that because he's my editor.) Great voice, but this is not the album I was hoping to hear from her. It's a little bit too flat for my tastes. But I know some people are going nuts for the thing, so your mileage may vary.

Leesburg, Va.: Pardon me for not being familiar with the previous "JoBro" fallout, but the two e-mails you posted reminded me of the first (and only) time I've seen/heard them...which was on American Idol last year, I think...

It was one of the results shows (maybe close to the finals, I don't know) and they were definitely on there. It was funny because my fiancee and I both came to the exact same conclusion..."You can definintely tell which one the 'other' Jonas Brother is."

I don't know their names, but I can only assume we are talking about the same one.

That said, can I also comment on what an emotional roller-coaster I went on this weekend hearing the Box-Office totals? I was estatic to hear that JoBro3D didn't come in first, only to be crushed that "Tyler Perry presents Tyler Perry's Tyler Perry, a Tyler Perry Production" was indeed the winner this weekend.

J. Freedom du Lac: See what I'm saying? It's so obvious. And if you happened to see the band in concert and studied the fans and their posters/T-shirts/scribblings on the family minivans/etc, you'd know that I was completely accurate in describing him as The Other One. (He's the one in the white shirt.)

Arlington, Va.: Maybe this one is for Producer David: Which is the hot one, the one that styles like Drake Bell?

David Malitz: One good thing about no more chats -- one less opportunity for J. Freedom to post a certain picture that he's fond of posting. Joe's obviously the hot one, duh. I'd say Drake is more of a hunk than he is hot.

J. Freedom du Lac: Too late, dude. See above. Hahahahaha!

I'm never making my own pic with the JoBros public, by the way, because Malitz has been waiting to exact revenge ever since I made that thing public in August. (And David knows from revenge.)

Washington, D.C.: In 2005, I had to find out how many people the 9:30 Club could hold. If you look at the fire code regulations ('This floor can hold 382 people' etc), it's about 900 at a sold-out show. Also, regarding the JoBros emails -- good for kids taking the time to a. read your review and b. write back. It might be the beginnings of civic engagement.

J. Freedom du Lac: That can't be right. You must've missed a sign in one of the balconies or some such. It's gotta be closer to 1,200. (Though they can make it smaller by moving the stage and the lights out, which has the effect of making a 500-person crowd look like it's nearly filling the room. Neat trick, and good for everybody's psyche, I think.)

Civic engagement is for suckers. Actually, I generally do take the time to respond to everybody to emails, especially when they disagree with something. It's always interesting when people backtrack upon realizing that I'm actually paying attention to what they write. (Though I rather prefer the emailers to have the courage of their convictions and continue to make their case, so long as they don't start insulting my mother.)

Woodbridge, Va.: Today is the first time I have joined this site and was hoping for a serious music discussion. Hopefully it will return and include some guest artists on-line. Would like to know what the view is from the stage/back stage.

J. Freedom du Lac: It looks like this. (It does at a Coldplay concert, anyway.)

Chris Brown, redux: How do you feel about your assessment that his career was over now that the hubub has died down and Rhianna appears to have gone back to him? I was uncertain before, but now think he has a better chance of recovering, even w/the pics of her injuries? I know you thought he had permanently tarnished his good boy image... still on that page? I guess only time will tell on this one.

J. Freedom du Lac: I think he'll still suffer some. How can he not? He was the hip-hop star you could bring home to mother. His good-kid image was a massive part of his appeal. Rihanna's return to his side still doesn't erase that horrible image. I think much depends what she says publicly about the episode when she finally decides to speak about it.

An alternate view, though, might be that this helps him transition into making more adult music and shedding that teen-idol tag. Don't know how that would work, exactly, but I suppose it's possible.

Takoma Park, Md.: I agree on the Jonas Bros.

The music, though totally formulaic, isn't terrible to listen to. I have heard worse from adults who should know better (Kanye on SNL...)

Signed, A Parent with both their albums courtesy my children.

J. Freedom du Lac: I don't necessarily buy the four-star Rolling Stone argument that the JoBros are the keepers of the power-pop flame. But I really do believe that they're better than most adults (and hipster kids) are willing to admit, at least in public.

That said, I'll take Hanson's "MMMBop" over anything in the JoBros catalogue any day. Though that has as much to do with the Dust Brothers as anything.

New U2: Hello and goodbye Mr. du Lac-- have to say, you were right on about the new U2 album-- it's not nearly as memorable or even effective as past work has been. Have the Boys started their slow decline into retirement and then a reunion tour?

J. Freedom du Lac: My opinion about the album isn't that it's terrible. It actually has some terrific moments. But it also has some loudly barking dogs, not least the lead single.

I'm looking forward to seeing them live later this year.

since Nick was doing his solo project back in 2003: BWAHAHAHA! I show up here every week for the unintentional comedy. Seriously though, this forum will be greatly missed.

J. Freedom du Lac: Puppy pop: The gift that just keeps on giving.

You shall be released: I've seen your light go shining from the west down to the east and any day now, any day now, you shall be released.

J. Freedom du Lac: Jeez, I haven't died.

Tuesday Afternoon Delight: Any truth to the rumor I just started that the real reason you're being shut down is legal pressure from Starland Vocal Band?

Vale...

J. Freedom du Lac: More like, the afternoon delights provided by this chat were few and far between.

9:30 capacity: The sign on the wall upstairs lists 900 for downstairs and something like 282 for upstairs, which always strikes me as far fewer people than are actually there for a sold out show.

J. Freedom du Lac: Yeah, I felt like there were that many people standing behind me on the balcony at the Foo Fighters show a couple-few years ago.

Bethesda, Md.: But WHY??? As a chat regular, I'll miss the weekly gathering. Glad you're not leaving entirely, though.

So, I'm the one (the only one, it seems) who likes "Get On Your Boots." I had pre-ordered the album on iTunes, so I downloaded and listened to it this morning, and I have to admit I'm disappointed. Maybe it's just too atmospheric for me. I can't imagine I'll ever find myself humming anything to myself from this album (unlike, say, "Elevation"). Is it likely to grow on me if I listen a few more times?

J. Freedom du Lac: I'm starting to feel like the "Arrested Development" of chats, only without the critical acclaim and Jeffrey Tambor. (Malitz = Michael Cera?)

A poster in last week's chat noted that there are various types of U2 fans, including one group that loves the atmospheric stuff more than anything. This is a better album for them than for fans of the more conventional stuff, though I think it's quite possible to like a bit of all (or most) of the incarnations of the band. That said, yes, it's a grower. Give it a few listens. If you still don't like it, Klimek would love to trade with you, especially if you bought one of the limited-editions.

See you at North China on Old Georgetown Road. (The crispy Taiwanese chicken is a revelation.)

U2 on tour?!?: When? Where? When will the mega-universe controlling Ticketmaster have tickets?

J. Freedom du Lac: Sometime after Billy Joel and Elton John take over Nationals Park, I guess.

I believe the tour announcement is coming next week.

Springsteen's "Night": I'm not sure what their definition of "good" is, but they can always browse this MP3 index.

Go to the individual songs index, or grab a whole show somewhere.

J. Freedom du Lac: Thanks. See you during the all-Springsteen chat.

Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C.: Can we save these chats by asking even more questions about Bruce Springsteen? Or maybe Michael McDonald?

J. Freedom du Lac: Michael McDonald!

Piscataway, N.J.: J. Free --

Sorry to see the chat go -- it was a weekly highlight. Will try to keep up with the blog, except when Malitz goes all quirky indie on us.

2 Last questions:

a) how come the aforementioned DM didn't draw the JoBro3D review short straw?

b) funny thing about the cute/hot/other reaction was that, when writing for my college paper in the 90s I got the same kind of reaction for calling Wilson Phillips "the hot one/the fat one/and the fat one's sister". Some things never change.

Vaya con queso, amigo. See you on the funny pages.

J. Freedom du Lac: What makes you think I didn't want to review that movie? It was actually my first movie review since "Spice World"! I was happy to come out of retirement for that.

I've mentioned this here before, but ... there was a band in Sacramento circa 1995 by the name of Fat Chick From Wilson Philips. Wouldn't really work after the gastric bypass surgery, though.

So let me see if I understand this: Newspapers are losing money all over the place and circulation is dropping because people are looking online for news. How does the Post respond? By canceling the only good live chat on the whole !@#$%-& site?!?!?!?!?!?

Proof positive that this paper has truly lost it.

By the way, you never called me an idiot. I believe 'pork sword' was my JFDL-bestowed nom de chat, if you will. But I never took offense -- I thought it was kind of funny.

J. Freedom du Lac: I'm not really being canceled, though. Just ... reprogrammed and repackaged. (Wait, that sounds dirty. And I remember calling you a pork sword. Unfortunately, the executive chat producer probably did, as well. Out: Freedom Rock. In: Chats about the missing NFL players!)

I'll be around. Hang out on the blog more. If you do, I will, too. And come on, there are some awesome chats on the weekly calendar, not least Gene Weingarten's.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: Young Jeezy used to call himself "your favorite rapper's favorite rapper." My questions for you, JFree: Who is YOUR favorite rapper, and if you had to guess, what is your favorite rapper's favorite soup?

J. Freedom du Lac: Easy: MC Skat Cat.

I'll always have tons of love for Rakim's classic material. Ice Cube, too. And how can you not be in the tank for Andre 3000 when he's actually engaged? (Too bad that's an infrequent occurrence lately.)

My favorite rappers all love pho.

Falls Church, Va.: Boo, don't give up. I'll miss you flying off the handle whenever someone questions or criticizes your opinions. The hilarity of this chat will be missed.

J. Freedom du Lac: I learned that from Pete Franklin. Or maybe it was my old pal/nemesis in Sacramento, Grant Napear.

Beltsville, Md.: No more Freedom Rock?! Awwwwww, I need my weekly dose of Jonas Brothers snark. I still can't believe so many otherwise apparently well spoken gals didn't get the "other one" joke at all. Bravo Mr. DuLac. We shall miss you, to the extent that you're leaving.

Any plans to hit up the Janes/NIN show that will apparently be out at Nissan on June 11th? You'd think they'd learn their lesson about doing weeknight shows out there. I may try for the Philly date on a Saturday instead.

J. Freedom du Lac: Given Malitz's views on Jane's Addiction, maybe he should go. He still has to make good on the Grammys side bet he lost. (He stupidly said that Coldplay would win album of the year, when everybody knew it was going to be Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.)

Cleveland Park, Washington, D.C.: "By the by, there's a terrific Vietnamese dive near the Great American Music Hall. But I can't remember the name of it. (And there are a ton of VN restos in that area, so don't bother trying to guess.) I just remember having a crab dish there that was off the charts."

Would that be Tulan's? My sister took me there when I visited her. Ugly little place, but the food was phenomenal.

And is "Springsteen's Night" anything like "Blackmore's Night"?

J. Freedom du Lac: That sounds like it might be it. Is the garlic roasted crab there as good, if not better, as the version at Thanh Long? (Only way cheaper?)

Less potential for crickets and tumbleweeds and boring exchanges about the Silver Jews. : True. But where will you go for corny BonJovi wordplay?

Best wishes, good sir. Your weekly chat will be missed.

J. Freedom du Lac: There are no more good Bon Jovi jokes to be made. Between the played-out name game here and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's classic Bon Jovi riff, there's just nothing left.

Triumph: "To get an idea of the Bon Jovi sound, try to imagine Bruce Springsteen coming out of my ***."

The End ?: But why ?

Stop wasting your time ? Stop wasting TWP's time ? Live Online is so...2005-ish ?

Is this the day the music chat died ???

J. Freedom du Lac: The day the music chat died!! That's it, exactly.

This is really about freeing up Producer David so that he can get around to transcribing that damn Kim Deal interview.

25th and M, Washington, D.C.: J. Freedom, Sorry to hear the chat's being shuttered. It's been a fun ride over the years.

To me, the reason that the chat has been slower at times is that music is an extremely personal thing for most of us out here in the chatosphere. It's either blue: "I like that" or red: "I don't like that". With no shades of purple in between. It's kind of hard to have a sustained discussion when most everyone has their minds made up. But I think you've done a good job keeping an open mind to us out here and keeping it going.

I also think that Malitz has bad taste in music. But that's just me. Plus, I'm right.

J. Freedom du Lac: Right. But we don't really talk about music here. We just talk about how wrong David usually is.

Cubeville, D.C.: J Free - I am so sorry to hear that the chat is ending. I would like to take credit for the 5 awesome submissions made on the Dolly Parton/Cat Power chat. That was a amusing afternoon in my cube. I have several asides to contribute to your final, regularly scheduled program:

1) One of my colleagues has BACH! as her gchat status, not because she loves classical music, but because the Bachelor finale was on last night.

2) My brother has recommended to me the Felice Brothers for their Dylan-esque qualities -- thoughts?

3) I will see you at the Black Lips!!

J. Freedom du Lac: Think of the Felice Brothers as the Band, though it is the "Basement Tapes"-era edition. So yeah. They're not quite there yet, though, IMO. But worth tracking.

We'll always have

Cat Power

!

Philadelphia, Pa.: If your chat needs a final closing theme song, I vote for the Buckingham's "Kind of a Drag."

J. Freedom du Lac: Perfect -- b/w "Boring."

Thanks, as always, folks. It's been

fun

, except when

it wasn't

See you next time ... whenever that is.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity