The 'Lost' Hour: Season 5 -- Episode 11: 'Whatever Happened, Happened'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Staff
Thursday, April 2, 2009; 3:00 PM

Has "Lost" got you a mite confused and ready to hurl at the next mention of smoke monsters? Or do you have the fate of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love square all figured out? Who got Scooby Dooed this week? Are you a new viewer, adrift on an unfamiliar isle or an old hand ready to bare knuckle some quantum physics? In either case, we're here for you and armed with more mediocre puns and pop culture references than a hunky con man can shake a stick at.

Post.com "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney will attempt to get to the bottom of these matters every Thursday. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com.

For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

-----

Jen Chaney: Between the blog comments and the questions/comments already piling up in the queue, there is plenty to discuss. But I want to throw this blog comment out there for wider analysis, something one of you smart raised after reading our analysis:

"A tad bit of irony I noticed. Jack refuses to help Ben because of what Ben had become when the Losties first arrived on 815. He said he had already fixed Ben once (for Kate) and that he wouldn't do it again. Of course, as we found out when Richard said "he will be different [from the current lil' Ben]," the island-healing Ben basically makes him into the evil big Ben. If Jack had just saved him, he probably would've continued to be good little Ben, his daddy issues would probably have been resolved thanks to the remorse of Uncle Rico, and he would have lived happily ever after."

I think this is an interesting idea. But I am not sure if it's correct. Again, if time is progressing according to the Miles/Daniel Faraday explanation, then it wouldn't matter what Jack does. The universe would course-correct to turn Ben into the Purge Instigator/murderer/fake Henry Gale regardless. But Liz -- and readers -- what do you think?

Liz Kelly: I think it bears discussing because it calls into question this whole idea of fate that we keep coming back to with "Lost."

But let's get started...

Kansas City MO: Personally, I felt that most of the Hurley/Miles bits were nods to you gals and us your loyal readers... the Back to the Future reference sealed it for me.

My question is: if the Others are so great at digging up every detail on the Losties, did they turn up DI files from the 70's on Kate Austen the mechanic and Jack Shepherd the workman and other such folks? A yes or a no would seem to carry a lot of implications.

Jen Chaney: That's flattering, Kansas City. Personally, I kinda doubt that the "Lost" writers are nodding anything at us, or for that matter even having vague, passing thoughts about our scrappy little analyses. Lots of people probably thought about "Back to the Future" because of the time travel connection, so I think they were just touching on what many fans have running through their minds. I mean, I didn't INVENT the flux capacitor. Although maybe I should create a Wiki page that says I did and see if I can start turning that into reality.

To your second question: If I understand correctly, you're inquiring about the Others circa 2004, yes? Ben definitely had some paperwork on Jack, Kate and Sawyer, so I think it's fair to assume that the Ben-led Others hung on to their files.

Safeway, Los Angeles : Ladies, Can we assume that the blond that took Aaron's hand in the grocery store was, in fact, Claire? She looked older because she is on a different time line than the losties because she has been on the island aging.

Liz Kelly: No, I don't think that was Claire. If it was, would she have given Aaron back to Kate?

What it was, though, was a mental jolt to Kate. It brought Claire back to the forefront of her mind and set her on course back to the island.

Jen Chaney: I agree with Liz here. That woman definitely looked like Claire, and that was intentional casting.

When Kate saw her walking with Aaron, she stepped outside of herself for a moment and saw: "Wow, that woman actually looks like he could be his mother. I don't." And that awakened her to how much she had been pretending.

Although, to be fair, I kind of agree that Kate didn't have much of an option with Aaron. Claire was indeed missing, and it seemed important to get Aaron off the island and to safety. Whether she was using the child to make herself feel better about Sawyer or not, someone had to take the kid under his/her wing.

Philadelphia, PA: The references in this chat to Back to the Future and "The Time Traveler's Wife" highlight the possible ways time travel can work. In Back to the Future, you can go back in time and mess things up and even erase yourself. This could be called an open loop version of time travel.

"The Time Travellers Wife" is a closed loop version. Not to spoil anything, but the main character can't really change anything. He pops in a out at different time periods, interacts with other people and learns new things. But in the end, even though he's very aware that certain things will happen, there's nothing he can do to change them.

Closed loop time travel has a Greek tragedy quality to it. Even if you know about your fate and try to change it, your actions will somehow backfire causing the very thing you try to prevent.

Of course on Lost they seem to be having it both ways. It's a closed loop (maybe), except for Desmond who is outside the loop and can therefore change things.

Jen Chaney: This is an excellent summary, Philadelphia, thank you.

To relate this back to last night's episode, Miles clearly stands in "The Time Traveler's Wife" camp while Hurley obviously still hasn't totally moved away from his McFly stance. And what you just said about them having it both ways on the show is where the problem lies.

A few commenters and chatter have been giving us grief for making this time travel stuff "too complicated." I don't think it's complicated, but I do think the writers have purposely left the door open to the possibility that maybe the future can be rewritten, even though that's contrary to how it's supposed to work.

Liz Kelly: Right, and as Hurley said, "Time travel is confusing."

Speaking of which, if you haven't yet voted for this week's best show quote, you can do so now:

Must Know: What happened to Jack's chest hair? It's gone. All of it. (I remember him having to shave for his beachy appendectomy, but that was three years ago, or 30 years ago, depending on your point of view ... Did he get laser hair removal as part of his settlement package with Oceanic Air? Is it Sawyer envy?)

Liz Kelly: Perhaps it burned off in the journey back to 1977...?

So there!: Just wanted to get something off my chest: I wrote in a couple of chats ago about whether or not Claire is dead or may resurface, and you totally shot me down: Jen Chaney: Well, Claire is kinda dead and all. So she has a reasonable excuse.

And then I see in this week's summary that you raise the issue that she'll probably come back. Come on! What the heck? Just because we ask a simple question doesn't mean we're dumb or don't understand what's going on with the show. Yeesh.

Liz Kelly: Hey, no one is accusing anyone of being dumb. Unless it is Jen and I describing ourselves.

And if I recall correctly, we later clarified that we merely assumed Claire to be dead, but admitted that we weren't sure. I think we were also factoring in the lack of Emilie de Ravin as being mentioned as a guest star on any of the upcoming episodes.

Jen Chaney: Yes, I was being sarcastic in my response, which may have read like "Claire is kinda dead, you idiot," when it should have read as, "Well, Claire is kinda dead so maybe she won't be back?"

But I deserve your slap on the wrist. Point taken. And I totally don't think you're dumb at all, I promise.

Ben: So, is Kate going to be my new mom? She was acting awfully friendly toward my dad.

Jen Chaney: If she's that friendly with Uncle Rico, just wait until you see what she does around Kip. I mean, that guy's irresistible. I predict Lafawnduh and Kate will *so* not get along.

(Comprehension of the previous statement requires past viewing of "Napoleon Dynamite.")

Liz Kelly: Break the wrist and walk away.

Line of the night: More of an exchange:

Juliette: Where's Jack? Hurley: In the shower, is he in trouble?

Liz Kelly: That was a good one.

Silver Spring, Md.: I don't buy "course correction." The event happened, it only happened once, and you can't change it because it already happened! If you tried to kill Little Ben, you wouldn't be able to, period. Jack can't save Ben, because he didn't save Ben, because he had this inner laissez faire. Nothing can change that (even time travellers) because no one did change it. Well, except maybe Desmond can change it. It just gets confusing based on what frame of reference you are in when you view the event. If it helps, you can view what we're seeing as one big flashback. It already happened.

Jen Chaney: Okay, Silver Spring. But I keep coming back to course correction because Eloise Hawking made a point of mentioning it to Desmond back in season three. She told him that even if he tried to change what was destined to happen, he could change some details but the outcome would be the same.

Now, what you're saying is that Jack already opted to not help Ben. And Kate and Sawyer already opted to hand Ben over to Richard. That's what always happened. Period. That's totally fair based on what we know at this moment. Problem is that means no one has any free will at all. I am not sure if I totally buy that.

I think they could experience this whole thing again and do things slightly differently -- Jack might take a shower, and then make sandwiches, or Juliet might go with Kate to hand over Ben -- but the outcome would still be the same: Ben would lose his innocence, the Purge would happen and, eventually, Hurley would still want to know why the heck his hand wasn't disappearing like Michael J. Fox's does right before he recovers and rocks a guitar solo that knocks the socks off of Marvin Berry.

Phew.

Sayid shooting but not killing: Why would he not make sure Ben is dead? Its not fair to say just because it helps move the show forward. If he is determined enough to shoot, surely, he would be determined enought to verify, with so much depending on that simple action.

Liz Kelly: Excellent question.

And Mr. Liz asked, graphically, why he wouldn't have just shot Lil' Ben right in the noggin to better insure a kill. After all, this guy is a trained soldier and erstwhile assassin.

The way I squared it with myself is that once Sayid pulled that trigger, the reality of what he'd done -- firing a gun at a kid -- hit him and he ran away to get out of the situation and torture himself mentally (he's really good at that, too).

Jen Chaney: I can't account for Sayid's poor aim. But I agree with Liz, I think once he fired, he totally lost it and couldn't bear to see whether what he had done had succeeded.

You're starting to sound just like my mother: The faux-Claire lady in the supermarket was so creepy looking. Does anyone have a photo of the actress outside of Lost? I felt like there was something very off about her appearance--kind of uncanny valley-esque (CGI?). Probably it was just that the setup put Claire into viewers' minds as soon as we saw a young lady with blonde curly hair (in which case, great job, show!) and she's perfectly normal looking otherwise. What do you think?

washingtonpost.com: Here you go: Susan King

Liz Kelly: Well she did look like she was wearing a wig. That probably contributed to the creepiness.

Charlottesville, VA: Jen, you said: "But all this has me thinking more about the title of the episode. "Whatever Happened, Happened." Faraday said that a few episodes back when he was convincing Sawyer not to meddle in the whole situation with Amy and her (late) husband. Sawyer dismissed it, and meddled anyway."

If I remember correctly, Miles was the one warning not to interfere, and Faraday -- who had already gone through his rocking back- and-forth, "I won't tell her" episode -- didn't seem to care what Sawyer did, because "whatever happened, happened."

Jen Chaney: True, Charlottesville, Faraday didn't exactly beg Sawyer not to interfere. He just said it didn't matter if he did. But if I remember correctly -- someone correct me if I am wrong, as I'm sure you will -- in another episode this season Daniel did pretty sharply caution Sawyer against interfering with anything he bumped up against in the past.

Anyway, the larger point of what I was getting at was -- did they use that name in ironic fashion? As a result of what Kate and Sawyer did with Lil' Ben, is the situation actually, whatever happened has now happened differently because of you two?

Liz Kelly: You're right, Jen. Faraday did take Sawyer to task for thinking he could meddle with the past.

Of course it was right before Charlotte's first nosebleed and Daniel's frantic knocking on the hatch door.

Ben and the past: Ok, so I think its entirely possible that Ben remembers the past. He is a master manipulator and secret keeper. If he would have told Juliet at any point "Hey, you're the nice lady that tried to fix me when I was 14," I don't think that would have done anything to help any situation.

I know Richard Alpert says he will forget things, but won't Ben come back to Dharmaville and have new memories of everyone?

Liz Kelly: I don't think we have much to go on here. We don't know whether what will come -- the saving of Ben -- will be supernatural, say courtesy of Smokey, or will as Jen suggested involve prolonged brainwashing.

But are we maybe placing too much importance on whether he remembers or not? The more interesting bit to me was Richard's warning that he wouldn't be the same. His words, I can't remember them exactly right now, made me think there is an undercurrent of maleveolence to the Others's secret weapon.

Ben wakes up: It could very well just be how they put the clips together, but I got the impression that Ben woke up in 2007 and the exact moment in 1977 that Richard Alpert took him from Kate and Sawyer. Kind of like his 2007 fate depended on the 1977 actions and that it was in fact possible for him to die both in 1977 and 2007. Making it more of a "Back the Future" theory of time travel. But maybe that doesn't quite work.

On a BtF 2 side note, I always really wanted a hover board after seeing that movie, and was convinced that some company would make one.

Liz Kelly: There was some creative editing at work there.

What I noted was that Big Ben looked -- at least in that last scene -- as if he wasn't a bit bruised or scabby, which of course he was when he got on the plane. And he'd been recently clocked by an oar courtesy of Sun.

Island healing or island resurrection?

Jen Chaney: Good question, Liz. Next week's Ben-centric episode may answer that. I seriously hope he's not one of the cast members who dies. I so love Michael Emerson.

As for me, I never wanted a hovercraft. I just wanted Michael J. Fox. Had such a crush on him when BTTF came out.

Liz Kelly: OMG, I M OD-ing on BTTF.

Arlington, Va.: Was Kate wearing 10-inch heels in the supermarket? Me likey.

Liz Kelly: "Lost," the show with something for everyone.

Anonymous: How can Claire's mother NOT know who "Aaron" is (her quote was: "Who's Aaron?") She saw the baby at the memorial service for Christian Shepherd. More importnatly, her daughter was in a plane crash and 6 survivors are found after a few months, thereby making international news. One of the two woman survivors supposedly gave birth to a baby boy named "Aaron" who is one of the six survivors. Her response to Jack's comments about his and Kate's efforts of Kate and him just don't make any sense to me. Am I missing something???

Liz Kelly: Another little lapse.

Our editor, Nancy, had another good question. At one point Cassidy says something like, "That Jack sounds like a piece of work."

But if Kate was over at Cassidy's house often enough for Clementine to call her "Aunt Kate" and had actually told Cassidy the true O6 story, wouldn't Cassidy already be well filled in on exactly what a piece of work Jack is? She sounded like she'd never heard word one about him before.

Jen Chaney: The Cassidy part I get. Kate really wanted to keep those two worlds separate, I suspect. Which is why she hid Cassidy from Jack -- which didn't work and eventually led to a total knock-down, drag-out between Kate and Jack -- and perhaps why she may not have said much to Cassidy about Jack.

Re: Claire's mom -- that definitely doesn't make much sense. The whole world supposedly knew who they were. Certainly the mother of someone who died in the crash would have paid pretty close attention to all the details about what went down. She should have known there was a baby named Aaron, even if she didn't realize he was her grandson.

Liz Kelly: I dunno about that, Jen. I agree that Kate kept Cassidy from Jack, but it looked to me like Cassidy had developed into Kate's confessor, or therapist, in the three years since she returned to the mainland.

If she was willing to open up about the huge secret that was the Oceanic 6's lie, why on earth would she stop short of complaining about her stormy relationship with Jack?

Silver Spring, Md.: I don't think Richard usurps power from Charles+Ellie. He just doesn't answer to them. Just as he didn't answer to Ben. He answers to Jacob, not whoever happens to be leading the Others at the moment.

washingtonpost.com: FWIW, In, I think, "Cabin Fever," Locke tells Ben he'll get answers from Richard, and Ben, in a huff, says something like "Jacob doesn't talk to Richard." But Ben has lied once or twice.

Liz Kelly: Right you are, Paul.

Newport, R.I.: In the Miles explanation, Miles said about Ben turning the wheel.. How does the Losties and O6 know what exactly happened at the Orchid.. Nobody saw Ben/Locke inside the Wheel chamber.. unless Christian spoke to Miles and told him.. Shouldn't Miles have said "Whatever Ben did at the Orchid"??

Liz Kelly: Hmmm, Jen? Could this be something Miles intuited? Honestly, my first assumption when Hurley and Miles started hashing this stuff out was that Miles -- whose full back story we don't yet have -- knows more about all this than he's letting on. Maybe he knew about the wheel before he even arrived on island.

Jen Chaney: Well, my assumption was that Faraday may have filled in Miles about all the donkey wheel business. Faraday wasn't there when Ben turned it either, but he knows how the island works.

That's the best explanation I have.

Ben's dad: The Dharma folks really aren't using Lazlo Hollyfeld's intelligence to their full advantage. He's a Real Genius.

Liz Kelly: Yep. Maybe he can rustle up some counterfeit sweepstakes tickets.

Washington, D.C.: "The universe would course-correct to turn Ben into the Purge Instigator/murderer/fake Henry Gale regardless. But Liz -- and readers -- what do you think?"

But we've already seen that the Purge may not have occurred by the looks of the Barracks when Sun and Lapidus meet up with Christian. Does this refute the course- correction theory?

Jen Chaney: Exactly. It might prove that. Again, we need irrefutable proof that the Faraday model is absolutely at work. We've been told that now by multiple characters. But what we don't know is whether they are right.

How they gonna talk there way out of this???: Okay, Freckles and Sawyer take little Harry Potter to the dark side, how are they gonna 'splain that one to the Dharmites?

Liz Kelly: My guess is:

a. they will lie and say the Others took Ben and they raced off in pursuit or,

b. this will finally be the deciding factor in turning the Dharmas against Jack, Kate, Hurley and even LaFleur and Juliet, causing them to seek refuge elsewhere.

Jen Chaney: There is a war coming, as Widmore told Locke. And perhaps that event was the catalyst.

Kansas City: So, do you think Richard has an Urban Sombrero from the J Peterman catalog? And I liked the attitude Richard showed last night concerning the Ellie/Charles question and Kate simply being there with James. As for a question, what do you two make of the James/Richard relationship? I think there's more to the "truce" than LaFleur and Alpert have revealed, although I don't know if that means they're in cahoots or not.

Liz Kelly: Could be. Some commenters in the blog were speculating that Daniel, with Sawyer's blessing, is actually with the Hostiles -- helping them to get Jughead under control.

Though Richard didn't seem to have any idea who Kate was.

I'm your density: Okay, why is Kate suddenly running her mouth and giving up the whole O6 cover story to Cassidy and Claire's mom? Everyone else has managed to stick to the story through three years and worldwide attention - do you think these women will keep the secret? Or does it even matter now that the O6 have gone back?

Also, did you think that the woman who was leading Aaron by the hand at the grocery store was really just helping him? I think something else was afoot - Aaron was gone in a sec, and that lady gave Kate a pretty lingering, weird look. What do you think, McFly?

Jen Chaney: Thank you for making what may be the only BTTF reference we haven't touched on.

I have to wonder about Kate entrusting that information, too. Seems like that would have to have some ramifications.

And while I don't think that woman was supposed to be Claire or anyone in the Littleton family, I do agree that the scene was strange. We never saw Aaron wander off. He was just gone, as if he vanished. And when she asked the grocery store employee, who had just spoken to her two seconds ago, about her son, he looked at her like, "What son?"

That could have just been an attempt to make us viewers feel the same paranoia Kate was feeling, though, as opposed to evidence of a larger conspiracy.

Liz Kelly: Right! For a second I was getting a "The Forgotten" vibe -- like they were going to roll back the supermarket security cams and there wouldn't have been any Aaron with Kate at all, as if he never existed.

Pregnant Kate: Can we now completely forget the possibility that Kate's pregnant with Jack's child.. the possibility that we all thot she was creating 815 scenario by being Claire? Also.. why did Kate look all drugged up and stoned when she was in the Ajira? Any explain?

Jen Chaney: Oh, thanks for bringing this up again. We never did revisit this issue.

I still like the idea that she tried to get pregnant. If nothing else, it explained how she could possibly want to jump Jack's bones after just experiencing the tragic, sad moment of leaving her adopted child. Oh wait, something else could explain that: Jack's hot.

I'm kidding. No matter how foxy Foxy is, most women probably would not have been up for some lovin' after that.

More importantly, though, Kate didn't know that they had to recreate the conditions on the previous flight. Hawking told Jack that and Ben probably knew. But she didn't. So she probably would not have been trying to get Jack into bed with that motive in mind.

I reserve the right to be proven dead wrong about all of this.

As for looking stoned, I think she was still very depressed about leaving Aaron.

Spokane, Wash.: So it seems Kate's storylines are all kind of being tied up somewhat neatly, and after being rebuked by both Jack (No I won't operate on l'il Ben, because I did that before for you, and you STILL wanted Sawyer) and Sawyer (I'm doing this for Juliette, NOT for you, Kate), what do you think the odds are that Kate will be the major character casualty this season?

And, the exchange between Jack and Kate in the kitchen was priceless:

KATE: I don't like the new you. I liked the old you who didn't just wait around for things to happen.

JACK: You didn't like me then, either.

Liz Kelly: I had that thought, too, Sawyer called her Freckles and seemed to shut the door on any possibility of a future reconciliation. Also, as we noted in the analysis, Kate has acted selflessly for the first time ever. That would be one way to go out on a high note.

Jen Chaney: And there was that rumour a few weeks ago about Evangeline Lilly leaving the show. Which her publicists adamantely denied. But who knows?

Anything is possible.

Atlanta, GA: As soon as I heard Patsy Cline I remembered that they had used "She's Got You" before. I had to check Lostpedia to see when, but it was in "Eggtown," and it was playing in Kate and Claire's room. I also learned that Christian sang "Catch a Falling Star" to Claire, to keep the music nicely recycled within the extended family.

Liz Kelly: Nice catches, thanks so much for sharing.

Somewhere in the Pacific: I'm not sure if this was ever discussed by you two lovely ladies, but could the island be the mythical Atlantis of days yore? LindeCuse are certainly fond of mythology, and given the lore and mystery surrounding Atlantis (and our island), could there be a match?

Liz Kelly: No, no -- Atlantis is in the Bahamas and the Jonas Brothers will be there performing live later this month.

Me, I still prefer Geronimo Jackson.

Minneapolis: Is this live, right now?

Ben forgets about the shooting but what bout the continued presence of the losties in Dharmaville?

I think that Ben is shown glimpses of his future and he will turn into a good person in next week's episode. Somehow I feel that next week we will lose TV's most hated and most sophisticated villan whichever way the episode arc swings.

Jen Chaney: It is. You're on the air, Minneapolis!

The episode teaser for next week does indeed say something about Ben seeking redemption. I don't know that people can stop resenting him for what he has done after just one episode, though. I mean obviously I can because -- at least according to Liz -- I'm a card-carrying Benjamin Linus lover.

But I think this has to play out over a few episodes, at least. Should definitely be interesting. That character is so fascinating.

Actually, it would make sense if he is out of the picture, too, if the last season of "Lost" is, in some way, a return to season one on some level. Ben wasn't in the show on season one so ...

Ben wasn't in the show on season one so : wow. i totally forgot that. seems like he's always been on the show.

Jen Chaney: I know, right? Desmond wasn't on the show then either.

Both of them showed up in season two.

1977 Jin (and Miles): Okay, so I get why Sawyer and Juliet are content with their 1977 Dharma lives, but what about Jin and Miles? They seem strangely accepting of their bizarre fate. No new romances for either of them? And aren't they jealous of Sawyer's rise to leadership in the Dharma Initiative. Isn't Jin saying "I knew him when he was a con-man and thief"?

Liz Kelly: I think Jin has reconciled himself to his fate -- whatever it may be because he asked Locke to let Sun go on thinking he died on the freighter. He doesn't hold out much hope for ever leaving.

As for Miles, we still don't know what his prime motivator may be. He may be biding his time, waiting for the opportune moment to.... do something.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, Miles is just sort of a sarcastic, ghostbusting, $3.2 million-grubbing cipher at this point.

As for Jin, he knows Sun came back to the island but didn't land in 1977. Granted, he just learned this information so it's not what has been motivating him for the past three years. But I suspect now he really wants to know where she is and that will drive him going forward.

Parkville, MO: "But we've already seen that the Purge may not have occurred by the looks of the Barracks when Sun and Lapidus meet up with Christian. Does this refute the course- correction theory?"

I don't believe this refutes course-correction. Did Smokey and Keamy not destroy half of Dharmaville last season? You know. When we thought Claire was TOTALLY dead?

Liz Kelly: Yup.

But the odd part about that to me was that the building in which Sun and Frank have their meeting with Christian looks as if it is still -- though dilapidated -- decorated au Dharma. As if the Others never moved in.

Jen Chaney: Right. The same Dharma sign was on the building where Kate, Jack, etc. checked-in. And the Dharma photos were on the wall -- which, incidentally, was another "Back to the Future" reference that would actually make Hurley's explanation valid, albeit a flipped script. Instead of disappearing from a photo, like Marty McFly's brother and sister, Hurley showed up in one where he had never been before.

Bottom line: all of that would have been long gone by the time Sun and Lapidus showed up if Ben's Others had taken over in the '80s.

Sawyer and Kate: Ladies, I know you have thoughts on the Sawyer-Kate conversation! What do you think? What about Sawyer's comment "I did it for her (Juliet)." But then he called her Freckles! Are they going to end up together or what? Your analysis please!

Liz Kelly: Personally, I thought he used it for old times sake.

As in "No hard feelings, but I've moved on. Also, you're being cut from the show and it looks better if our storyline is resolved amicably."

Jen Chaney: I don't know. I am on the fence about this.

I will say this: when Sawyer and Kate were together, I felt more heat coming off the screen than I do when he's with Juliet. I like Juliet and Sawyer together because it seems to have made them better, more content people. But chemistry wise, I think there's more on the Skater side.

Liz Kelly: Is that fence you're on a sonic fence?

Jen Chaney: It is. But Sawyer turned it off, so it's all good.

Don't hate - participate: Can we please stop with the Nikki and Paolo bashing? I actually thought that was a good episode, in the midst of what was a series of otherwise forgetable Lost episodes. And the finale was great.

Liz Kelly: :::crickets:::

Ben turning the wheel: Didn't Locke tell Miles, Sawyer and Juliet what happened with Ben?

Liz Kelly: We're having trouble remembering clearly -- can someone help out?

As I recall it -- Ben didn't explain specifically to Locke what he had to do under the orchid, and Locke didn't witness the turning of the wheel by Ben personally.

Locke only found out about the wheel when he fell down that well and Christian Shephard told him what he needed to do. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Locke had no earlier knowledge of the wheel because at one point Miles or Sawyer asked him why they had to return to the Orchid and Locke didn't have an answer.

Meaning he wouldn't have had a chance to tell Miles, Sawyer or anyone. But, as producer Paul points out, there are probably a few spirits on island that could have clued in Miles.

Austin, TX: In 2004, wasn't there some deal where Kate wasn't worthy of being an Other? If Ben has the list from the 70s, I wonder what she's about to do (or has done already) to get herself blacklisted?

Jen Chaney: Oh, this is an EXCELLENT point. Might this explain why Kate and Sawyer ended up in cages?

20165 Votes For Mile's Line: I think Miles's line, "You're free to go at anytime, but if you do I'll shoot you in the leg," is the best line because it is funny and also reprents the whole free-will vs. fate theme that the show (particularly this season) has tackled. They're free to make the choice to leave the house (free will), but if they do Miles (fate) will shoot them and prevent them from leaving. They can choose to leave, but they won't be able to. Brilliant.

Liz Kelly: That is a really good interpretation. Way to tie everything together.

And, yes, Miles's "shoot you in the leg" line did indeed win today's poll with 47 percent of the vote.

Thanks for all of the tough questions and good insights. We'll meet you back here next week.

Jen Chaney: Oops, I forgot to say goodbye. So, um, goodbye!

For the record, even if I had not said goodbye, this chat would still end. It's fate. Or course correction. Or some crap that makes sense to physicists.

See you here next week!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity