World Wide Wilbon   |  Columns and Chats   |  PTI  

The Chat House with Michael Wilbon: Michigan State, Tiger Woods, Great Sports Movies and More

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Michael Wilbon
Washington Post Sports Columnist
Monday, April 6, 2009; 1:15 PM

Welcome to another edition of The Chat House, where Post columnist Michael Wilbon will be online Monday, April 6 at 1:15 p.m. ET to take your questions about the latest sports news and his recent columns.

Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.: I think you left out one very important factor about Michigan State's home court advantage when you were talking about it on PTI. Immediately after Saturday's games, all the UConn and Villanova fans were dumping their tickets as fast as possible if Final Four tradition holds, and the people most likely buying them were from Michigan. Do you think this will really make a difference tonight?

Michael Wilbon: Oh yes, I do...And we'll get into that in detail in a second...Hi everybody. No PTI today so I'm here at home Chatting today...waiting for The Big Game tonight, after I get in a game or two at the bowling alley (will explain in a bit) and attend the big gala for DCCAP, which is tonight. Big day, in short. My trainer, John Atherton, is a North Carolina alumnus, played football there, proud alum...I just told him (which might account for him making me do extra treadmill time) that North Carolina is in for a tough evening. This isn't a prediction about winning or losing. I just think North Carolina is up against a crusade tonight in Michigan. We're talking 72,000 people, right? Something like that, anyway. And I'm betting 50-60,000 of them will be rooting for the Spartans...Given everything the state of Michigan has been through in recent years, particularly in recent months, I just think that North Carolina will be trying to win a basketball game and Michigan State will be playing for something a lot more meaningful...Now, that can work against the Spartans, too, if they're overly emotional...But unlike the east coast, where everybody has their divisions, I think even the maize and blue people from Michigan will be rooting for State and against Carolina. I know you people around here can't imagine, say, Georgetown and Maryland folk rooting for one another, but the Midwest is a different place. I think the Carolina kids are going to take the court and, at least initially, look around and think, "Oh my God..." It's not like playing before 11,000 at Cameron Indoor Stadium will prepare them for this. I think it's going to go down to the wire, perhaps even overtime...

Frederick, Md.: Would Ernie Grunfield consider bringing Eddie Jordan back to coach the squad next year? I understand they needed a fresh approach at the time he was released, but I feel like he deserves another shot when the entire team is healthy. If not, do they keep Tapscott?

Michael Wilbon: I don't think you're going to see Jordan or Tapscott. I have NOT talked to Ernie about this lately but as I understand it, the leading candidates at the moment are Flip Saunders and Avery Johnson. I suspect Ernie will turn over a dozen or more candidates in his head and maybe talk seriously to half-dozen or more before coming to a decision. I know who I'd pick: Avery Johnson. I'd want somebody who played in the NBA, so as to help get Gilbert Arenas' attention. I'd want somebody who had been deep in the NBA Finals, which Avery did with the Mavericks three years ago. I'd want a tough, demanding guy, and Avery is certainly that. And I'd want a guy with some kind of championship pedigree, which Avery is from his days with San Antonio...That's me...I know Ernie Grunfeld has hired enough coaches in his day to have a shopping list and know exactly what he wants. I'd want Avery Johnson. I don't believe there's a better candidate out there.

Baghdad, Iraq: Hey Mike, thanks for taking my question.

What are your top five sports movies? Hoosiers, Rocky, Raging Bull, Million Dollar Baby? Would you throw any documentaries in there, such as When We Were Kings or Hoop Dreams?

Michael Wilbon: I don't really do sports movies. Usually, I'm disappointed, though I know there are great ones like the very ones you mention, which would all be on my list. But when I was, I think, 11 years old the very first "Made for TV" movie aired. It was "Brian's Song" the story of Bears running back Brian Piccolo and his best friend, Gale Sayers, which played out in the 1960s when I was a young kid growing up a Bears fan in Chicago...That resonated with me, whether or not it was a great movie. James Caan and Billy D. Williams were the stars (and I think the exquisite Judy Pace was Billy D's wife) and it was enormously popular...In terms of Big Screen stuff, I hate The Natural, loved Million Dollar Baby, loved Hoop Dreams. I liked Eight Men Out, actually (another Chicago theme)...When I was a kid, "Fear Strikes Out" with Anthony Perkins as Jimmy Piersall and Karl Malden as his dad was a big deal to me. I liked Cary Grant as Lou Gehrig, but I bet if I went back and saw it today I'd hate it...Let's see. I guess I liked Cuba Gooding's performance...But in my top 100 movies, there would be zero sports movies. none. The action seems stilted, usually. It isn't real enough. It's probably the way lawyers feel about courtroom dramas or servicemen and women feel about war movies...

Washington, D.C.: We know the new Yankee Stadium opened up to much fanfare, but do you think we'll see baseball being played there this October?

Michael Wilbon: I have no idea, nor do I really care the first week of April. But I do care about the new stadium, which I went to Saturday to see the Cubs-Yankees in a stilted exhibition game which the Yankees were leading about 8-1 when I bolted from the cold...The stadium is like a theme park. I could have spent three hours there and not watched an inning of baseball. It's that fascinating a place. In addition to monument park in center field, there's a Yankees museum, the line for which was so long I never entered. But I'm going back. The food is amazing, the seating is like at a new theater...Because of a good friend who works for the Cubs, I had these great seats 23 rows behind the Cubs dugout...Amazing. There's nothing like it in sports, which is the way it should be for $1.5 billion. The screen in centerfield is surreal. The common areas are so spacious, yet the fans are closer to the field of play than they were in the House That Ruth Built, which still stands across the street. But there are four decks. Four. The people in the fourth deck couldn't possibly see anything. They're football seats. Anyway, the photos around the ballpark of the Yankee greats are mesmerizing. I loved being there. Thanks Katie...

Cary Grant as Lou Gehrig: I'm sure you did like Cary Grant, but it was Gary Cooper that played him on film. No, my name is not Tony Reali.

Michael Wilbon: Ha...As well as I know that movie, I don't know why I said Cary Grant...Thanks for that catch.

Washington, D.C.: Hi Mike, thanks for the nice 'Skins column last week and I agree 100 percent that Campbell handled the situation about 40 times better than Cutler did -- but I think also deserving of some props is Zorn who handled it about 80 times better than McDaniels (and even Snyder, I suppose at the end... maybe 1.5 times better than Bowden). Agree?

Michael Wilbon: Oh yes, I agree. Zorn did the smart thing, the compassionate thing. I'll never know 1 percent of what Cerrato knows about football, or 1/2 of 1 percent of what Snyder knows about business, but when it comes to instincts for dealing with people and assessing situations, they usually seem to have the worst instincts imaginable...THE WORST.

Anonymous: Gone is venerable Yankee stadium. It's kind of like replacing Chartres with another Cathedral. So which stadium do you think will be around longer -- Fenway or Wrigley?

Michael Wilbon: Good question. Both the Red Sox and Cubs seem vested in keeping those ballparks. Their cash cows. Wrigley and Fenway wouldn't work in New York and Yankee Stadium wouldn't work in Chicago...Those cities have exactly what they need for their constituencies...Between Fenway and Wrigley, I just don't know. Both will need periodic face lifts. They're about the same age...about four years apart, I think...I don't know. I don't want to see the Cubs play anywhere else in my lifetime, and I hope I've got another 35 years or so...

Houston, Tex.: Re sports movies: What about Miracle?

Michael Wilbon: Nope. Watched the real thing. Nope.

Washington, D.C.: As a sports reporter/columnist, what do you enjoy writing about more: team rivalries (Red Sox/Yankees, Duke/North Carolina, etc.) or individual rivalries (Leonard/Hearns, Navratilova/Evert, etc.)?

Michael Wilbon: Both. Depends on the circumstances, though I will say boxing is the best thing on earth to write about, except that boxing is now dead. Ali-Frazier is the most compelling rivalry I've lived through and nothing--NOTHING--is remotely close.

Arlington, Va.: I am a big fan of PTI. You and Tony are a great pair... Did you hear about the Outside the Lines piece about the lack of black golfers and Tiger Woods's effect on other black golfers. Any opinions?

Michael Wilbon: All those pieces, as well reported as they are, presume Tiger had to have this affect immediately. There are kids out there who, like my eight-year-old nephew Jordan, are growing up under the influence of Tiger Woods. What, Tiger was gong to re-route the interests of somebody who was 10 when he first won The Masters in 1997? No. We, and I mean all of us, are too short-sighted about these things. Tiger's influence on the culture is undeniable but bringing black kids to golf isn't something that was going to happen overnight. It was going to take a couple of decades. Remember, black people were already playing baseball when Jackie Robinson reached the Major Leagues. I'm one of the people, old as I am, who had his daily living habits altered by Tiger Woods. Golf is now the number one leisure-sporting activity in my life and it's 99 percent because my interest jumped when Tiger went to Stanford in, what, 1994? I was 35 years old then.

Arlington, Va.: You predicting the spread for tomorrow night's UConn/Louisville game? Think it'll be under 10?

Michael Wilbon: Nope. 15 points with UCONN pulling away.

D.C.: So as a Bears fan are you happy about getting Cutler? He's definitely a player, but doesn't the way he left Denver leave a bad taste in your mouth? I'd be holding my breath hoping that was a one time thing, but would also be waiting for the next tantrum. He doesn't seem to grasp the employer-employee relationship too well.

Michael Wilbon: You captured it in a nutshell. Since we've had only two quarterbacks of significance in my lifetime (Billy Wade and Jim McMahon) and none in the last 25 years, I'm glad the Bears pulled the trigger, even though they gave up too much (three draft picks which whould convert to starters and Kyle Orton, which makes it four starters)...What worries me more is that the Bears have no receivers and that no quarterback who's a baby has ever led his team to jack. And Cutler, talented as he is, seems like he has the ability to be a real whining little brat. So, yeah, I'm worried. And since Jason Campbell isn't that, it was dumb and dumber for the Redskins to consider dumping him because somebody has a big arm. So did Jeff George, who I like tremendously as a person...But how did that work out in terms of wins and losses. Big arm doesn't win championships. A franchise QB has to be so many things...and non-responsive to his coach isn't one of them in my book. I'm optimistic, but wary about the whole thing.

Re: speaking of Ali-Frazier: Have you gotten a screener for the new HBO Documentary about the Thrilla in Manila, which debuts this weekend on HBO?

A well-known morning radio show had Joe Frazier on last week to discuss it and it is interesting, almost 40 years removed, to exact all the racial components of that story ("Uncle Tom, "Gorilla," etc).

Michael Wilbon: Well, I will watch it on HBO, though I know of all the racial strife surrounding the fight...It's going to be difficult for this one (as great as HBO is) to be better than "A Nation Divided" which also chronicled America's reaction to Ali-Frazier I, the fight in Madison Square Garden...I will watch, and I'd recommend everybody else do the same.

Re: Brian's Song: Just curious how impactful the general portrayal of race relations in that move was for you. I haven't seen it since I was 10, but it still sticks with me.

Michael Wilbon: I don't know that the portrayal of race relations struck me, then or now, in that movie. I know Gale Sayers...I know there were moments in the movie when they tried to address it, clumsily as I recall. But it was the friendship between the two men, at that time of course, that struck me and resonates even now.

Sports movies...: What about "Bang The Drum Slowly" with Michael Moriarty and Robert DeNiro?

Michael Wilbon: Damn good movie...different from most sports movies...

Alexandria, Va.: Cerrato...you suggest he knows more about football than you, but as you've clearly indicated for a long time, he makes BAD personnel decisions. Do you think it's time the Skins replaced him? Or is he not the problem at all, and it's the ownership's inherent weakness to always chase the quick fix, big name, often washed-up superstar that will keep the team always right on the cusp?

Michael Wilbon: Well, from what I understand, Snyder was the driving force behind this, and this goes to the heart of what I've been saying for 20 years. A GM should be running the team, not the owner, which means perhaps I shouldn't be blaming Vinny at all for this, if Snyder was just making Cerrato do his bidding. It still speaks to what the Redskins are and why they won't win. See, Snyder doesn't know 1 1/100th of what Vinny knows about football. I don't think Vinny's football instincts and Snyder's are the same. Snyder's are the same as Tony K's, which is to say, "Ooooooh, he's famous...Can we get him!"

Boise, Idaho: Shocker: Michael Jordan's in the Hall of Fame. When all is said and done, will Tiger Woods end up being even bigger than Jordan was?

Michael Wilbon: No. Because golf isn't as big world-wide as basketball, which is pushing soccer in terms of global impact.

D.C.: UVA question:

Interested in your thoughts on Tony Bennett.

I actually think he could benefit the whole league if he is successful: ACC teams (other than UNC) have not fared well in the tournament against teams that play hard, physical defense. A Big 10 style of defense in the league would be good for all of them.

Michael Wilbon: Nice rationalization. I don't know. Tony Bennett, like his father Dick, is a damn good coach. I'd like to have seen Anthony Grant go from VCU to UVA and not Alabama, a football school. I think it's an interesting hire, and he's a worthy coach...But UVA is a tough place to win. Big Ten style? Does anybody play that in the ACC. Will the referees stand for it? Lots of questions.

Derwood, Md.: Hey Mike, it's always great that you keep it real with these chats!

A lot of folks are debating the pro potential of Tyler Hansborough. My take is this: If you want to know what T.H. will be like in the pros, just queue up the tape from the Oklahoma game and see how he played when a top-flight NBA-caliber power forward (Griffin) was on the floor -- T.H. was marginal in that game.

Your thoughts?

Michael Wilbon: Yeah, I think Hansborough is going to struggle in the pro game. He has too many shots blocked by guys smaller than him, so what's going to happen against 6-10 small forwards, like Tyrus Thomas? his shot comes off his shoulder, which ain't gonna play in the NBA...I think he could help an already good team, coming off the bench, a team that needs some muscle. He could give fouls, play a little bit against other bigger, slower guys...Look, this kid is a tremendous college basketball player. But the NBA is a whole different world...

But Ali is the greatest: And Michael Jordan will never be as big as Ali was worldwide.

Michael Wilbon: That's right...Never was...

HoFficial: Jordan, Robinson, Stockton all in the NBA HoF. There was no doubt for any of those guys... These are the guys I grew up watching along with Hakeem, Ewing and Sir Charles. I miss those days... somehow I just don't think I'll be reminiscing the careers of Lebron, Wade and Carmelo the same way, when and/if they are put into the HoF.

I hated Jordan when the Bullets played the Bulls, but could not help but be mesmerized by his play.

Michael Wilbon: Boy...you express a point of view that would draw a standing ovation from people between 45 and 75...Nobody will replace those players to us. But, LeBron and Kobe and Wade, specifically those three, are absolutely great players. I was interested in watching Oscar Robertson watch LeBron yesterday in Cleveland, just two days after I talked to Oscar over the phone about LeBron. It was interesting because Oscar LOVES LeBron, and Oscar Robertson isn't a fan of a lot of youngsters playing sports. He's a hard guy to please. Talk about standards? The Big O's bar ain't low. And I love that about him...But yeah, this HOF class is glittering. Wow. I think old people, like us, will forever hold these guys in a certain regard.

Concord, N.C.: I value your opinion in regards to the state of Boxing more than other personalities at ESPN who proclaim Boxing dead. Most of them have never really experienced the culture of Boxing growing up (i.e Colin Cowherd, Mike and Mike) What would it take for Boxing to ever get back into the mainstream sports scene?

Michael Wilbon: Thanks. It would take the best athletes of a generation to be interested in boxing rather that football, basketball and baseball...and MMA. I mean, if Jack Johnson was growing up now, 12 years old, would he box or try to play point guard? The best athletes today, world-wide, don't box. They play other sports...Soccer in Spanish-speaking cultures...Boxing's powers-that-be did this to themselves, with all their stupid championship splits and in-fighting. It was such a wonderful sport...There's never been anything more exciting to me than sitting ring-side when the heavyweight champion of the world walked from his dressing room to the ring. Gives me chills thinking about it. And hell, I wasn't even around for Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey, the Golden Age of the fight game...I tell people all the time, there's nothing like it, not the Super Bowl, not the Final Four, nothing.

Rockville, Md.: Michael --

Yes, yes, I know it's the first week of April--Final Four , Master's, etc., but it's also Opening Day and hope springs eternal for Cubs fans. Is THIS the year for them?

Michael Wilbon: I made the mistake last year of thinking that from the very first day of the season. Look, I always HOPE that, but the Cubbies have lost 9 straight post-season games, which I bet is some kind of record. And I fear if they don't get to the World Series this year that Lou Pinella will leave and we'll be back to Square 1. I wonder about this team. I hated losing Mark DeRose, hated losing Kerry Wood, who I think was on the come as a reliever...I like getting Milton Bradley, somebody who's either got edge or is completely crazy, depending on your point of view. I think the Cubs have been a little too nice-guy and need Bradley...We'll see. I'm less optimistic that last year, but will make my trips to Wrigley a half-dozen times or so this summer...

Washington, D.C.: Hi Mike, I love Campbell and I'm happy the 'Skins didn't make the trade, but you compared Cutler to Campbell as two guys with the same win percentage who haven't done anything. Given the vast difference in their stats, isn't that like comparing Kevin Garnett (a few years ago) to Joe Smith (a few years ago)? Football is even more a team sport than basketball, so while stats don't tell the whole story, I'm not sure it's fair to judge an individual player by team results.

Michael Wilbon: Kyle Orton is 21-12...So what does that mean. Rex Grossman was something like 17-12..What does that mean? It means they had great defenses. Stats in football are COMPLETELY related to systems. Kerry Collins was a better QB than Cutler last year by a million miles, yet probably threw for roughly half the yardage. Stats are relevent in baseball, and to a lesser degree basketball. Who do you want, Allen Iverson or Tony Parker? I know my answer is Parker, and has been for six years.Didn't Campbell throw for 12 TDs and 6 INTs last year? Did Cutler have a 2-to-1 TD to INT ratio? I don't think so.

D.C.: Why is it that when everyone talks about the Big Bad Big East and how many teams it had in the tourney, they seem to forget the conference has about 90 teams in it.

I'm sorry, but this just isn't the Big East anymore. Marquette, Louisville, Notre Dame, DePaul? Come on, please! They're not even in the same time zone.

Michael Wilbon: I'm with you on this. The Big East, as we know it now, was great this season, though it doesn't have a team in the championship game. But it's not the Big East I covered as a young reporter for this newspaper.

Washington, D.C.: I can't help but feel, as a young person not interested in boxing, that the reason the sport isn't as popular is because people suddenly realized that it's a horrible, violent game that needs to go obsolete like ancient Mayan killer field hockey or whatever it was they played. And I think the condition of Ali as he aged had more to do with that than anything. Is it possible that explanation is at least as relevant as poor management?

Michael Wilbon: Nothing is a violent as football and I bet you like. Just say you don't like it, or can't identify, don't come up with excuses like "It's too violent" while you wear some team's NFL jersey.

D.C.: Late observation regarding Ovechkin's 50th goal celebration: How do hockey people justify criticizing someone for celebrating a milestone in their career while applauding the barbarians on the ice after they've finished pummeling each other to death in brawl? Seems like an odd definition for "sportsmanship"

Michael Wilbon: GREAT point. They do it because they're sanctimonious hypocrites who also are in many cases bigots because Ovechkin is Russian. Some of these people hide behind the label "purists" when they'd sing a different tune if a Canadian or American did the same thing. Thanks for giving me the opportunity vent. Those big farm-raised Canadian thugs who turn into "enforcers" doesn't bother them in the least...No offense there. Please.

D.C.: Who was the greatest athlete ever: Jordan, Ali, Pele?

Michael Wilbon: Who knows? Bo Jackson, according to the late great Dick Schaap. Jordan's in the running. So was Jim Brown. I like guys who played two sports...Ruth played one sport, but it was like he played two because he excelled as both a pitcher and everyday player, which nobody has done since. That argument goes on forever.

Arlington, Va. (but grew up in Conn.): The UConn women killed Louisville twice already this year, by an average of something like 33 points. After the clinic against Stanford, it doesn't matter how hot the surprise team is. It could be a 20-plus margin for the Huskies.

Are they the best team Auriemma coached? No... that belongs to the undefeated team that had Taurausi and Bird. Then again, this team didn't have a strong Tennessee rival pushing them.

Michael Wilbon: I agree with everything you said there...Well done.

Anonymous: Is it blasphemous to say at the end of his career LeBron will be considered the greatest NBA player of all time? I know he hasn't won anything yet -- but I expect he will. You wanna bet he ends his career without a title? Didn't think so. Now six? I don't know.

But I think I can go on a limb and say he's at least the best player since Jordan. I just love watching LeBron play. LOVE IT. The entire NBA is worth it just for him.

AND he's only 24!

Let's hope he doesn't try to play baseball.

Michael Wilbon: Yeah, I think I'm with you on everything except him being the greatest ever when he retires...although it's possible. He's got to win five or six, though...I think he's the MVP of the league this year. He's something to watch, yes.

Arlington, Va.: Hi, Michael,

You're right about all of Michigan coming together to chant "Go Green! Go White!" at the Final Four in Detroit. All my friends who grew up in MI or went to school at Ann Arbor are rooting for Michigan State.

When I was working in Lansing this past fall, the best "Go Green! Go White" chant was in East Lansing at the Obama rally, where the now-president started it off.

Michael Wilbon: thanks for that...

Oklahoma City, Okla.: Do you think it was necessary for the ESPN sideline reporter to verify that Courtney Paris was going to make good on her promise to pay back her scholarship mere moments after Oklahoma was upset by Louisville last night? I know it's a question everyone wanted to ask, but couldn't that question have waited until the post game press conference? Players are under such enormous pressure, and emotions are usually left on the court, especially after tough-fought caliber games. That question just seemed like a trap, and sideline reporters should have a bit more tact than that.

Michael Wilbon: Yes, I'm with you on this issue. I knew it would be made a bigger thing than I think it is. It's not Topic A for me. Her dad made millions as a professional football player. He can afford it, if he wants to, not that I think Oklahoma is going to ask for the money back. In fact, OU wouldn't accept the money anyway, unless the Paris family wanted to donate it to a scholarship fund, which would be just fine with most people.

Washington, D.C.: Really Mike? Even though football has become more pass heavy than ever before in the last 10 years? And even as the league comes under fire for its poor pension plans? And even as basketball players never fight anymore and aren't allowed to give hard fouls? You don't think sports have gotten less violent?

Michael Wilbon: Football might be slightly less violent than it was 35 years ago, but professional football is the most violent thing your eyes have ever seen. If you think it's not powder-puff, stand down on the sideline one Sunday afternoon...You think Tom Brady's knee things it's not a violent game...you think Hines Ward's blocks are touchy-feely? I don't know what you're watching...

D.C.: "Michael Wilbon: No. Because golf isn't as big world-wide as basketball, which is pushing soccer in terms of global impact. "

Absolutely ludicrous. Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing you've ever said. Soccer DWARFS basketball globally, by any metric.

Michael Wilbon: No, it doesn't. You're just one of those people who thinks if anybody doesn't praise God for the existence of soccer every day that it's blaspheme. Sorry. Soccer is No. 1 Basketball is No. 2 and pushing. And it's bigger in quite a few places than soccer, starting in China, which by itself raises basketball's international profile.

Hockey Hypocrisy: They're not really fond of Americans, either. The "Hockey Media" in general is Canadian, Pro-Canadian, and dislikes or distrusts anyone that's not Canadian. They're not huge fans of Americans because we essentially took "their" sport from many of their cities (Winnipeg, Quebec, etc...).

I agree that they hate Russians more, but they're not exactly huge USA fans either.

Michael Wilbon: Good point.

Jurancon, France: Best sport movies? Field of Dreams and I think the other was One on One(a b-ball film).

Michael Wilbon: I liked Field of Dreams...

Charleston, S.C.: Mike,

The conventional wisdom says lengthening the golf course favors longer hitters. At Augusta, that has not been the case thus far. Any chance of a long bomber not named Tiger winning this week or will we see another unexpected short hitter aka Immelman or Zack Johnson?

Michael Wilbon: I think Paddy Harrington is too far under the radar. He's on mine. His short game isn't the greatest, actually. But I think he's going to be in a duel with Tiger on Sunday.

Farifax, Va.: "I'll never know one percent of what Cerrato knows about football." Why do you give Cerrato so much credit to his football knowledge? Just because he's in the business doesn't make him some sort of football guru. His performance track record would suggest that you or I know as much as he does.

Michael Wilbon: No, it doesn't. Because I actually know Vinny and have sat and talked (I listen, actually) about football for years. And he's a very smart football man. I think some of the decisions he helps Snyder execute are Snyder's decisions, not his, which is too bad because Snyder ought to be listening to Vinny, and not the other way around, when it comes to strictly football matters. I would never suggest I know as much about any discipline as a man who makes his living in that discipline.

Gaithersburg, Md.: Re: Jim Brown/Greatest Athlete.

In regards to great two sport athletes, Jim Brown is a member of TWO Hall of Fames: Football and Lacrosse....

Michael Wilbon: That was my point, exactly.

Annapolis, Md.: Can I just say that I'm now on the Maya Moore bandwagon? And I'm not even much of a women's CBB fan. Attractive, smart, delightful personality...and MAJOR game. I usually don't root for such overwhelmingly dominant teams as this year's UConn team seems to be, but I'll be at least pulling for Miss Moore.

Michael Wilbon: Thanks for that...Maya Moore is a good place to end today. She'll be hoisting a trophy tomorrow night...I've got to get to the bowling alley. Going to Orlando this week to "compete" (Ha!) with some pro bowlers for something that's going to air on ESPN at some point. I hope not to embarrass myself and fall down. I USED to be capable of going out and rolling a 180 game if I needed to, to beat some office hacks or something. Now? I can't produce 180 on command. But I told Wes Mellott (sp?) if he spotted me 58 pins I could beat him. How silly is that. It's good he's a great sport. If I can roll 170 I'll be overjoyed. But in front of a crowd? W cameras rolling. God, how did I get myself into this? See you next week...Thanks for Chatting. MW

Washington, D.C.: Whats your take on Arenas playing and getting a healthy starting 5 to beat the Cavs without even scoring 20!?

I personally LOVED it and though I know its obvious for any Washingtonian to think of what it would have been like with a healthy starting 5 all year, I still like to think that the Wiz would have been in the top 5 in the east.

What do you think?

Michael Wilbon: It's so, so sad the Wizards couldn't be healthy this year. I think I might keep the band together for one more year to see if they can do it...And a lottery pick, too! If Blake Griffin comes here next year, it will have been worth if for everybody except poor Eddie Jordan, who never should have been fired...But he'll get another job...I do want to see the Wiz with a full team of healthy players.

washingtonpost.com: This concludes today's discussion. Thanks for joining in.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity