The Reliable Source: Linda Sanchez, Sidwell Auction, Helen Thomas, Slumdog Actors, Spanish Royalty, Trump, More

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, April 29, 2009; 12:00 PM

Reliable Source columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, April 29, at Noon ET.

Today: When pundits attack! Linda Sanchez -- not the unwed congressmom after all. Bo who? -- check out Champ. Obamas make their Sidwell auction debut. Helen Thomas's favorites and not-so favorites. Dev [hearts] Freida, says Dev's mom. Gorgeous Spanish royalty moving here. And Trump promises the best golfing on the planet in Loudoun County.

Amy Argetsinger: Good morning everyone. We can talk about all of the above. Note too, late add to today's lineup -- SJP having twins, courtesy of a surrogate. And of course if anyone from Bishop Ireton is sneaking some chat time during their study hall, we'd love to hear your thoughts about Taylor Swift -- and our web folks have video of her performance to share, if you care. Or, of course, susanboylesusanboylesusanboyle. Just kidding -- so tired of that story.

Just when I think I can tolerate Mel Gibson...: He goes and does more stupid stuff, that even his wife of 28 years won't put up with! So, what is his fascination with Russion women? And what about all those pre-Vatican II family values comments over the years? And is one of his chicks about to make him a dad again? Could be the most expensive late mid-life crisis ever!

Amy Argetsinger: Every guy is fascinated with Russian women. And sadly, he can afford this mid-life crisis.

Washington, D.C.: It's tenuous, but here goes.

On the Red Line this morning, I had the BEST conductor, announcement-wise. He spent more time on the loudspeaker than off it, and I actually turned off my iPod to listen to him. He had one of those smooth, mellow voices, like a late-night jazz DJ. He announced the stops, transfers and points of interest clearly, and was obviously enjoying himself.

I thought about suggesting that we have a D.C.-area talent competition of sorts, to find our local Susan Boyles and bring them to light. But then I decided that it's a bad idea, because I don't want Smooth-Jazz-Train-Driver Man leaving for a better job... I want to keep him right where he is. But I want him to know that I appreciate his enthusiasm for that part of his job. It's a predicament...

Amy Argetsinger: Thank you for sharing this. Maybe he's reading the chat.

WDC: Hi Amy, CAT here =)

Will you be covering the Gold Cup this weekend?

If yes, do stop by the four tents we will have for Becky's Fund.

Amy Argetsinger: Well, hello, and thanks for joining the chat!

Is Gold Cup this weekend? Alas, I guess that's the answer to your question.

But come back to the chat, please! It's been too long.

washingtonpost.com: Video: Taylor Swift Wows Local Students

Dev Patel's Mom: Do you think he called her up and said, "Yo, mom -- I told you not to talk to the press?" Or do you think they asked her to plant the information? Anyway, they are a cute couple and it should keep folks from being mad that they kissed onscreen.

washingtonpost.com: Dev and Freida (Google Images)

Amy Argetsinger: It sounded to me like a straight forward case of a smooth-talking tabloid reporter calling the mom and asking just the right question, and maybe she hadn't caught on to the fact that the kids were being discreet about this, and she just blabbed.

Thanks for the Champ photo!: Cute, great story. But who was throwing tennis balls for the dog at the Teacher of the Year event? The teachers? Jill Biden? VPOTUS?

washingtonpost.com: Bo vs. Champ, Round 1 (Reliable Source, April 29)

Roxanne Roberts: The teachers. After the reception inside the house (Champ made a grand entrance by coming down the stairs and sitting at Jill Biden's feet, then worked the crowd) everyone went outside because it was so gorgeous. The teachers took pictures of Champ and tossed him tennis balls, which he happily caught.

Ball's in Bo's court.

Girlfriends: girlfriend?: So who is the mysterious girlfriend of tax-flouter-for-life Marion Barry, the woman who was the recipient of the $800 opera coat?

Amy Argetsinger: Did everyone see this story? Link to follow. Despite his tax problems, Marion Barry dropped $800 on an "opera coat" at a charity auction last weekend for his girlfriend.

Did we know he had a girlfriend? Maybe we shouldn't be surprised; doesn't he always have a girlfriend? Anyway, am trying to get an answer on this...

New Administration Hottie: Richard Besser! Better than Rahm.

CDC Chief Faces Our Fears of Flu With a Soothing Bedside Manner

Amy Argetsinger: Ladies -- any thoughts?

washingtonpost.com: Barry Buys Opera Coat for $800 at Cancer Auction (Post, April 29)

Royal Pain: Saw some news pictures of Spain's Princess wearing her crown at some affair with the French president. Does she wear it all the time? Seems kind of like an insecurity issue to me.

Roxanne Roberts: I doubt it. Most royals only wear them for formal events, and many of the younger royals skip them even then. They hardly ever wear big jewels during the day. I seriously doubt we'll ever see her wear anything like it in D.C.----just some discreet pins that only insiders recognize.

Downtown, D.C.: Who was eating at Restaurant Nora on Saturday? Saw the town car out front and what looked to be paparazzi in the lobby but wasn't sure who it was.

Amy Argetsinger: I dunno. Anyone dine there Saturday who can tell us? Nora is one of those restaurants that rarely volunteers this kind of info. Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson were in town for the "Invisible Children" rally on the Mall... maybe them? Val Kilmer was here too, but he's always here.

Fairmount Ave.: I'm okay with those nude pictures of Sarkozy's wife surfacing as long as we don't have to see him nude too...

Roxanne Roberts: Most people should keep their clothes on in public. Carla is a rare exception.

Winchester, Va.: For celebrity sightings this weekend, come to the Apple Blossom Festival. We're a little lighter than usual this year, but if you're a fan of Erik Estrada, Bucky Covington, Bo Bice, Sports guys Ward Burton, Jack Ham, Mark Moseley, Joe Jacoby, D.C. United's Devon McTavish (what a cutie), Jon Huertas (from the TV shows "Castle" and "Generation Kill")....Always a fun time! Will report back next week on any big happenings....

Amy Argetsinger: Bucky Covington AND Bo Bice? AND Erik Estrada? AND, uh, those other guys? Winchester, here I come!

Matthew Broderick: I saw that photo and for a second I thought SJP was hugging a young Peter Fonda.

Amy Argetsinger: Those sideburns are startling, huh? Born to be Wild...

Please help settle this debate...: Which NBC4 newscaster is hotter? Wendy Reiger or Doreen Gentzler? Hubby says Gentzler has that willowy appeal. I say Reiger is smokin'.

Amy Argetsinger: No disrespect to the lovely Doreen Gentzler, but I'm voting Rieger, who is on the short list of people I want to be when I grow up.

Roxanne Roberts: Wendy has a subversive side I really like, and an awesome sense of humor.

Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.: So, it's been a couple of weeks since the Kal Penn news broke out. Any new gossip?

Amy Argetsinger: He's moving here at the end of June. How's that?

Baltimore, Md.: An Idol question for Amy. Do you think the judges' comments are strategically manufactured? Did Simon have to gush about TimberLite's mediocre performance to justify having used the save on him? Why would they enthuse so strongly about normally enjoyable Allison when that was her weirdest (and not in a good way ... the phrasing was atrocious) performance yet? I used to pretty uniformly agree with Simon, but these days I am just puzzled with what the judges come up with.

Amy Argetsinger: I'm convinced there's all sort of Machiavellian nonsense going on with the judge's comments. I think Simon overpraises (or under-disses) certain contestants just so their fans will be satisfied, and therefore LESS likely to call in on their behalf. Same happens in the opposite -- they like someone, want to keep them around, so they manufacture some criticism in order to get the supporters all riled up.

Of course, this is all assuming they actually heed the telephone data and don't just make this stuff up. I still don't understand how Matt Giraud made it to the round of seven -- he's the guy who I could never remember.

Barry's girlfriends: Hasn't he always had them, regardless of marital status?

Amy Argetsinger: Like many politicians, a capable multi-tasker.

WDC: Maybe I can entice you and Roxanne with the prospect of a sinful buffet and open bar -- Makers Mark, Grey Goose, Corona beer, wine and bubbly! ;)

Roxanne Roberts: Nah. Open bars aren't a lure for me: I am too old and too young to think getting drunk in the middle of the day is fun. Too much to do, no time to sit around holding my head in hands saying, "WHAT was I thinking?" I'll leave that to you kids.

Champ made a grand entrance by coming down the stairs and sitting at Jill Biden's feet,: How long do you think they worked on training him to do that?

Roxanne Roberts: A few months. Remember, Champ is taking lessons from an expert dog trainer who's a friend of the Bidens. He worked hard to make sure the puppy would be comfortable in large crowds and not easily distracted. However, licking Jill's legs was probably Champ's idea.

Bethesda, Md.: Sarah Palin on abortion still is a fascinating topic. She opted to have the child at her late age knowing the child had Down Syndrome. Because she is governor of a conservative state, she had no choice if she wanted to continue in that position. Have you heard about how her husband reacted to her decision? Are they Catholics?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, we're probably opening a can of worms by even mentioning Sarah Palin, let alone her pregnancy, but this *seems* like an innocuous enough question.... Palin -- not Catholic, but born into a Catholic family which became Pentecostal; she's now with a non-denominational Christian congregation. And remember, no one in Alaska -- heck, no one outside her family even -- even knew she was pregnant until weeks before she gave birth

Evanston, Ill.: Any news on Jane Harman? Why is this not a bigger story?

Amy Argetsinger: It's in the paper all the time...

Bethesda, Md.: Haven't heard as peep from Amy Weinstein lately. Is she back in rehab? What happened to her jailed boyfriend? Is he still incarcerated? Wasn't he the guy who got Amy hooked? Great singer, though.

Amy Argetsinger: Uh, Winehouse? Is that who we're talking about? Honestly, I've stopped keeping track.

Admin hotties: Dr. Besser looks like my h.s. biology lab partner, with grayer hair. (not all bad in a CDC guy) Rahm still seems edgier and we know he can display passion.

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks for your vote.

Richard E. Besser : Definitely a contender, but IMO, no Rahm.

SJP: So I guess this means that SJP and Matthew Broderick's marriage is NOT on the rocks. Why does that make me so ridiculously happy?

Amy Argetsinger: I don't know -- because you're a nice person?

Russian women: Polish women are better looking

Amy Argetsinger: Okay, they're all obsessed with women from former Soviet bloc nations, is what I meant.

WDC: If the folks at White Castle were smart they would open one in town for Kal Penn -- anyone else miss the days of Little Taverns and Roys in Georgetown?

Amy Argetsinger: Of course you're bringing this up at lunchtime... starving...

Exceptions to the rule: Another person who is an exception to the clothes on in public rule -- David Beckham. And Will Smith.

Amy Argetsinger: And thanks for YOUR vote.

Roar: Are either of you a cougar?

Roxanne Roberts: Aside from the fact that I never discuss my romantic life.....it's such a lame word and anyone who calls themselves it deserves to be on a reality show. And sexist, because there's not an equally stupid term for men who sleep with younger women.

Pennsylvania: What dish can you give us on Arlen Specter? He seems to be all over the news lately and since he's been in D.C. almost 3 decades now's a good time for some inside the Beltway scoop.

Roxanne Roberts: What can I say? He's funny, but not a gossip column kind of guy.

Dr. Love-Besser: So only ladies get to comment on the good doc? I'm a guy and I think he's cute too. I'd date him; though I don't believe he plays for my team so to speak.

Amy Argetsinger: Sorry, didn't mean to imply we don't have equal-opportunity chatting here... thanks for your vote... Isn't it wonderful we have something like the swine flu to come along and introduce us to a whole new set of heartthrobs?

Bernadette Peters: Thanks for the photo of her with Mr. Sondheim. She looks amazing - how does she do that? I have always loved her hair!

washingtonpost.com: Sondheim the Softie (Reliable Source, April 29)

Amy Argetsinger: Well preserved, eh?

Former Soviet bloc countries: You made a mistake there -- Poland has never been under Soviet domination. Just thought I'd clear that up.

--Jerry Ford, from the grave

Amy Argetsinger: You just raised the game for this chat.

anyone else miss the days of Little Taverns and Roys in Georgetown?: We have Five Guys now.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes. Does it fill the void?

Anonymous: Who is nuttier: Trump or the people who would pay all that money to belong to his golf country club thingy ?

washingtonpost.com: Trump Promises Golf Par Excellence (Reliable Source, April 27)

Amy Argetsinger: But it's going to be World Class. The Best Golf Course on the Planet.

Isn't it wonderful we have something like the swine flu to come along : I don't think the people who have gotten swine flu would agree.

Amy Argetsinger: Uh, you know I was being sorta sarcastic, right? Or are you, too, being sorta sarcastic?

Why is the Gold Cup: the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby? So folks who aren't cool or rich enough to go to the run for the roses can still envision themselves as part of the horse set?

Amy Argetsinger: Well, Gold Cup isn't really about watching the horse races... and well, Kentucky Derby hardly is either. So if you're living here in D.C., I guess it's a matter of whether you want to party in front of the TV or deal with sunburn and traffic for the sake of partying outside.

Roxanne's love life: Ha ! So how are Yin and Yang lately ?

Roxanne Roberts: Utterly devoted.

Mother's Day is coming: What Mom have you covered lately that you think will get the best gift? (FLOTUS excluded)

Roxanne Roberts: Octomom.

Ballston, Va.: Clothing is always optional for the lovely Roxanne. Hey you would put the French first lady to shame!

Amy Argetsinger: I'm still hoping that a nice guy like Nicolas Sarkozy will take her away from all of this.

Best Metro Driver: There are a few great ones on the Blue line. One guy sounds like Barry White, one woman sounds like she is a schoolmarm or elocution teacher snapping off the stops crisply and giving a great deal of detail, one has this great almost drawl, very basso profundo, another, and my fave, announces Rosslyn as "the last station in the Commonwealth of Northern Virginia." Amen, bro, and we like it that way.

Amy Argetsinger: "The last station in the Commonwealth of Northern Virginia." I love that. Gives Rosslyn a dignity I didn't know it had.

The Best Golf Course on the Planet.: C'mon, it's going to be The Best in the UNIVERSE.

You'e FIRED!

Roxanne Roberts: Guess Amy just lost that cushy job offer at Trump headquarters.

Which NBC4 newscaster is hotter?: Jim Vance or Joe Krebs?

Amy Argetsinger: With all due respect to Joe Krebs... Jim Vance kind of runs away with this one, doesn't he?

What's next pictures of the baby?: Enough already with the Linda Sanchez stories. You guys are obsessed and heck, she's no Tony Danza if you know what I mean.

washingtonpost.com: Rep. Linda Sanchez Ties the Knot (Reliable Source, April 28)

Amy Argetsinger: Pictures of the baby? Hell yeah, we're going to bring you pictures of the baby. She's a great story. What's Tony Danza done for us lately?

Yes. Does it fill the void? : I think so. I'm completely addicted. There were a couple weeks when I was pregnant that I ate Five Guys every night. I didn't get sick of it, but my husband did. So now we only once a week. But I think about it all week. Friday can't come soon enough.

Amy Argetsinger: Interesting.

Copyright question: Who holds the copyright to your columns? If you decided to publish a collection of your finest columns, would the Washington Post have to remove them from their Web site?

Amy Argetsinger: I don't think it works that way. I also can't imagine much interest in a collection of our finest columns. The thing about a column like this is that they have the shelf-life of about a day. The absolute best columns don't make a whit of sense a year later.

Bo's Busy: According to your "100 Days" section, Bo has attended an economic advisory panel's meeting. I wonder which puppy gets health care?

Amy Argetsinger: We're only at about 20 Days for the Bo Era. But believe me, we are going to hold him accountable at his Day 100.

Roxanne Roberts: Does First Dog outrank Larry Summers?

Arlen Spector, Gossip-column denizen: There was that unfortunate incident during the 2000 Republican Convention in Philly in which, IN FRONT OF HIS WIFE(!!!), he sang the refrain to "Don't Fence Me In" to an attractive female Republican from Texas. She might even have been in real estate. It was icky.

Amy Argetsinger: Okay, you've just proven me wrong. THAT'S a super-obscure anecdote (though a very funny one!) from a Reliable Source column nine years ago -- and you remember it!

Ballston, Va.: Roy's Roast Beef and dbouble R burgers and Shakes.

Five Guys the Best burgers and fries

Little Tavern open late maybe

5 Guys wins and herding dogs love it

Amy Argetsinger: I haven't had a Roy Rogers sandwich in years. That's sounding really good right now.

Filling the vo, ID: Five Guys is the reason I could never be a vegetarian. It's the only red meat I eat.

Amy Argetsinger: Fascinating.

Male cougar: So what IS the equivalent? Since older men sleeping with younger women need not be aggressive nor attractive (at least if the Millionaire Matchmaker show is to be believed), I'm not sure what animal would fit. Is Shar Pei too crude?

Roxanne Roberts: Shar Pei only works for, say, Harvey Weinstein. The classic "sugar daddy" is kind of timeless, actually.

D.C.: Do you all see TMZ as competition or colleagues in D.C. now?

Amy Argetsinger: I don't think they have a real staff here -- just buy the occasional item or video footage from a local freelance paparazzi, though I could be wrong. Either way, they're doing such a different thing than the rest of us -- not so much looking for stories than doing the video ambush things, where the camera guy asks a wacky question and the congressman looks all bemused...

Matthew Broderick: All the photos I see of him lately look like he's not happy. His facial expression says "stomach upset."

Amy Argetsinger: Maybe those sideburns are wearing him down. They consume a lot of energy.

Washington, D.C.: Cougar opposite: Is a Manther!

Roxanne Roberts: I like it, but it will never catch on.

Bernadette Peters: She may look great, but she can swear like a sailor. She knocked a friend of mine out of the way once with a "get the f--- out of my way" while she was trying to get a cab in New York. Lovely.

Amy Argetsinger: We absolutely cannot vouch for the veracity of this anecdote, which could have been entirely made up; or it's possible the witness had a case of mistaken identity and is now unfairly maligning Ms. Peters. But it's funny.

Arlen Specter was in your column: Last year, when you reported on his "chemo dap" where he bumped elbows instead of shaking hands to prevent illness. How quickly you forget the people who made you famous....

Amy Argetsinger: Who's famous? And thanks for reminding me.... So maybe I'M the only one who thinks these columns are ephemeral and short-shelf-lifed and meaningless.

Voting for Jim Vance: He has the awesome combination of the dry wit and the uber-cool earring! Wins this one hands down, without even leaving the starting gate! (No offense, Joe -- you seem like a nice guy.)

Speaking of Trump: How big a joke is his Miss USA contest? Who can take it seriously when the judges included Perez Hilton and one of Hugh Hefner's "girlfriends"?

Roxanne Roberts: Let's see....which beauty contest had America talking for four days? Trump is a marketing genius.

Washington, D.C.: I find Tom Sherwood attractive! I think it's the voice, and the sense of humor that lurks there in all of his reporting...

Amy Argetsinger: They're a fascinating crew, the Channel 4 gang. But why aren't you all talking about those sexy beasts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski? Such a thrill to see them in person. They should just take over the Today show.

Berks County, Pa.: Taylor Swift is our local pride and joy and she grew up on a Christmas Tree Farm. Glad to see her finally getting her due!

washingtonpost.com: Video: Taylor Swift Wows Local Students

Amy Argetsinger: Okay, an excuse to check out that Taylor Swift video from Bishop Ireton, which I haven't seen yet myself. Hope there's a link there to J. Freedom du Lac's story.

Arlington, Va.: On Arlen Specter, although I can't recall the details, the senator seems to have a terrible hate relationship going with Dana Millbank. I wonder if that will change now that Arlen is a Democrat.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, everyone hates Dana, Republicans and Democrats alike.

NBC4: Not Liz Krenshaw?

Amy Argetsinger: Everyone has their favorites, huh? We don't talk about other local affiliates this way, do we?

Manther?: That's cute. But really, nobody cares about men who date the younger women. That's seen as normal. When older women date younger men, it's seen as "preying."

Roxanne Roberts: Yeah, because younger women never catch any breaks. Can't we all just get along?

Bernadette Peters: Does she have a boyfriend? Is she a Cougar, perhaps?

Amy Argetsinger: Her husband died in a helicopter crash a few years ago. He was about 14 years younger than her.

Lancaster, Pa.: I met Bucky Covington last summer at a show the Reinholds Fire Company sponsors (they've been doing the shows for something like 20 years). Up close he looks like a very young Brad Pitt and is nice as can be.

Amy Argetsinger: No kidding -- a young Brad Pitt? It's not just the mullet, is it?

"Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski? Such a thrill to see them in person. They should just take over the Today show.": NOOOOOO! We "women of a certain age" love that Meredith Vieira is there. I think Meredith and Matt are terrific. Ann Curry -- not so much.

Amy Argetsinger: Okay, well, there goes my brilliant programming plan.

Why is the Gold Cup: the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby? : One has nothing to do with the other. Gold Cup and Kentucky Derby are entirely different kinds of horse racing, and a lot of folks interested in one aren't into the other.

- Derby fan

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, that too.

Trump is a marketing genius: Who probably is also marketing Miss CA, who has been on just about every talk show on TV and radio imaginable. In truth, I wouldn't have cared a widget about her if it weren't for her comments in the pageant.

Roxanne Roberts: My point exactly. Would we be talking if she'd hadn't uttered the now-classic "opposite marriage"---I think not.

Who can take it seriously when the judges included Perez Hilton and one of Hugh Hefner's "girlfriends"? : Who would you need judging in order to take it seriously? What do you want, Jim Lehrer?

Roxanne Roberts: Arlen Specter!

Arlington, Va.: No one at Channel 4 is hotter than Lindsay Czarniak ladies. Tough choice Roxanne or Lindsay? Can I have both!

Amy Argetsinger: If you think about it, Channel 4 is just a sultry hothouse of charismatic broadcasting pulchritude. No one's even mentioned Eun Yang yet.

Arlington, Va.: There are Roy's in Manassas and in Leesburg. Hey Roxanne shopping at the Premium Outlets and then lunch at Roy's?

Roxanne Roberts: Been to the outlet; not Roy's.

Washington, D.C.: Is Tom stinking up the office with his leftover microwave heated fish?

Amy Argetsinger: We're talking about the guy who is paid to go out to eat for every meal so... no.

What are men called who date younger women::

RICH !

Roxanne Roberts: Not always, but it never hurts.

re: Best Metro Driver: Metro should do an "announce-off" as a fundraiser. I'd go. But then again, I'm bored.

Amy Argetsinger: We'd probably go too. Slow these days!

Tiger Woods's niece: Saw a piece on her and her golfing at Wake Forest. What a lovely young woman! Endorsements and ad campaigns, here she comes!

Amy Argetsinger: Cheyenne Woods -- just googled her. Very pretty.

Roxanne Roberts: Wow---100 days into Obamarama and not one chatter mentioned Sasha or Malia. Can we be so jaded already? Or are we just obsessed with the dogs?

Anyway, time to sign off. We need all your tips and sightings at reliablesource@washpost.com.(No one has spotted Kal Penn aprtment hunting? Come ON, people!)

Same time, next week!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity