John's Videos   |  Blog   |   Contact John  |   Reunions   |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

John Kelly's Washington: Washington Music, Poker Dreams, Honoring Vets, More

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
John Kelly
Washington Post Metro Columnist
Friday, July 10, 2009; 12:00 PM

Post Metro columnist John Kelly was online Friday, July 10, at Noon ET to chat about Washington music, poker dreams and honoring veterans and more.

A transcript follows.

Discussion Archives/Recent Columns

John Kelly: Is this about the best July we've ever had? Yeah, it's getting warm--into the 80s--but it's not in the 90s and it's not humid. And I'm loving the lack of rain. I'm sure we'll pay in August, but perhaps we already did, with that wet May. Regardless, let's enjoy it while we can.

Speaking of enjoyment: Do you like your job? Be honest. And if you don't like it, are you brave/foolish/clueless enough to leave it? On Thursday I wrote about Jon Urban a 28-year-old University of Maryland grad who works at Black & Decker in Towson. Makes that WORKED for Black & Decker. Last week he quit his job so he can try his luck at being a professional poker player.

He struck me as someone who knows what he's doing, even if I don't understand all that "flop," "tell," "button," Texas Hold 'Em stuff. What do you think? Are you jealous? Or are you glad to be getting a regular paycheck, even if working for the Man makes your skin crawl?

Saturday night I'm heading over to Rockville to see the reunion of a band called the British Walkers. Now, I'm much too young to have seen them myself (I'm waiting for a reunion of the Reactions), but there is much excitement about the show, and two more next week at JV's in Falls Church. The Walkers recorded a handful of songs (you can hear them here), but everyone I spoke with seemed to agree they were a better live band, putting on a great show. Can they still do it, 40 years later? What local bands would you like to see reunite?

My Radical Civility campaign is ticking along over at John Kelly's Commons. I'm finding people from all across the country who share my belief that we ought to be able to enjoy the experience of going to the movies. A guy in California named TJ Edwards thinks the main problem is that exhibitors don't seem to care as much anymore about the setting the films are shown in and how they're shown. Thus, audiences don't have any incentive to behave. What do you think? Is TJ pining for a day that will never come back? Or can we, as moviegoers, reward places that try to deliver a good product?

Oh, and what's up with Marion Barry these days?

McLean, Va.: Hey John -- In regards to your recent musings about annoying texters in movie theaters, you've got to get yourself a cell phone jammer. It'll be the best $300 you'll ever spend. I take mine everywhere: movies, restaurants, plays, driving. I can't wait until Metro expands cell phone service availability; then I'll be able to use it in the tunnels as well. Your fellow citizens will be most grateful even if they don't realize it. Oh, by the way, it's illegal, but don't let that stop you. As Bob Marley said: We're jammin', and I hope you like jammin' too!

John Kelly: Even as I type Verizon is triangulating your position and is directing one of its Predator drones to your location. It was nice knowing ya.

Okay, let me take the other side: I'm on the Metro on my way home when my spouse calls to say she's sick at work, too sick to drive home, and can I please head over to her office, get the car from the garage and pick her up? Because you're jamming the cell signal I never get that call. In her fevered state she asks Chad, the new guy in Marketing, if he will give her a lift. He does, in his new Corvette, even stopping and holding her hair so she can be sick by the side of her road. He takes a cold, moist compress from a cooler in the trunk (who even knew he had such a thing, but that's Chad for you) and applies it to her forehead. He is her savior. She forgets about me until I get off the Metro and call her, irate, that she isn't waiting for me at the Kiss and Ride. By then it's too late. She and Chad are in love. Thanks for wrecking my marriage, McLean.

In other words: I'd rather people be trained not to use cell phones inappropriately than expect technology to solve my problem.

Boyds, Md.: Yo, John, my good man! Looking good, my brother, looking good. I like the cut of your jib, so I'm donating $50 to your Camp Hollow campaign on behalf of your fine work.

I'm going to Hawaii for 2 weeks. I'd invite you and yours, but the wife...well, you know how that goes. Can I bring you something back?

John Kelly: Thank you so much. If every participant in my chat donated $50 we could reach our goal and ensure a happy summer for hundreds of D.C.-area children.

Hawaii, huh? What is it known for? Leis? Poi? "Lost"? Can you bring me back a lock of Jack Lord's hair?

College Park, Md.: I volunteer with the USGS's North America Phenology Program. Bird sighting data from DC in the '30s refers to the "RR bridge" and the "Highway bridge" -- (obviously not I-495 at the WW Bridge). Where were these bridges located?

Are there any good, easy to access sources of older geographical info for D.C. that lists places by colloquial names? As a native, that grew up East-of-the-River, I know where the Eastern Branch and Swampoodle are, but some of the other sites referred to by the are not familiar.

PS The circus parade was a lot shorter when the show was at Uline.

John Kelly: Both those bridges are what we would refer to today as the 14th Street Bridge. The 14th Street Bridge is actually several bridges, one of which carries railroad traffic and is, thus, the RR Bridge.

Probably your best bet for old geographical information is to go to the Washingtoniana Divisio of the MLK Library and look at the old maps.

John Kelly: Oh, and what's a Phenology Program? Is that where you study bumps on the head?

Gaithersburg, Md.: John, are you going to check out the Barbie convention? I wonder if the Ken dolls will try to peep in the windows.

John Kelly: It sounds like fun, doesn't it? I have my suspicions about Ken. I think he'd rather be peeping through the windows at the GI Joe convention. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (Especially when your genitalia consists of a smooth curve of plastic.)

When I edited KidsPost I went to Toyfair up in NYC. In the Mattel booth I visited the Barbie section. It was amazing: Barbies everywhere, presided over by perfect, blemish-free life-size simulacra of the doll. The women in the booth looked like Barbie, the men like Ken. The Mattel flack was showing me a new item, a "Little Mermaid"-themed set that had Barbie's little sister (Kelly? Skipper?) encased in a clam shell. It was disturbing. The little doll was flat on her back inside this clam shell and she looked like a corpse.

"That's kind of creepy," I said.

"We don't like to hear the word 'creepy' when referring to a Barbie product," said my handler, frostily.

Dunn Loring, Va.: Are you disappointed that you didn't snag the Post's invite to Obama's 4th of July party? Would you have agreed to attend under the White House's off-the-record condition? Should the Post disclose who got the invitation?

John Kelly: I haven't been paying attention to that. Did someone from The Post go? I don't get invited to anything, especially not anything involving national politics. Would I have gone? I guess. Was it off the record? Some things are in Washington. Usually it's snippets of conversation, with reporters and sources sometimes going back and forth about what will be on the record and what won't be. I imagine Obama probably didn't want to have watch every word out of his mouth for fear it would end up in the news. But I imagine a Fourth of July party would be pretty innocuous anyway. Is The Post refusing to disclose who got the invitation? I don't see what the harm is in saying who it was.

I Couldn't Let It Go: From last time --

"And next we can urge drivers to "zipper" when they merge, with some waiting till the last moment to move out of the ending lane. It's a more efficient use of pavement, but it drives early mergers like me crazy."

No, no, no, no, no.

It's the early mergers that screw things up. The "zipper" merge works best when everyone waits until the merge point.

John Kelly: I will probably always be an early merger, but I'm also someone who tries to let at least one vehicle in when we're losing a lane. Zippers need both sides.

I was skeptical about the efficacy of zippering, but then I read that traffic book that came out last year, and he convinced me.

Cleveland Park, Washington, D.C.: John --

I'm catching the British Walkers tonight.

Did you know they've put out a CD compiling all of their 45s? I picked up my copy at Joe's last week.

As for bands to reunite, I'd love to see a Hangmen reunion. Or a(nother) Original Fetish reunion. Tex and the Bad Boys. The list could go on and on.

John Kelly: You want a Hangmen reunion? Okay, let it be done.

Actually, I got an e-mail from a former Hangman and he said they're hoping to have a reunion in the spring. I'll be sure to mention it if it comes off. Until then:

The Hangmen (The Reekers) "What A Girl Can't Do"

Reekers & Hangmen interview from Ggaragehangover.com

Vienna, Va.: Good for Jon! I stumbled across a book for college grads and 20somethings called Delaying the Real World, which is all about ways to (find money to) do things you love -- covering everything from leading backpacking trips through the Rockies or working in a nursing home in Cuba (which is what the author did)-- while you're young, fit and ready to go. Beautiful.

John Kelly: Yeah, I think he's being pretty methodical about it. He's leaving on good terms with his employer, they're open to taking him back, he's lining up health insurance, he's going to live very cheaply when he first goes to Vegas. I want to check in with him every few months and see how he's doing.

Now, a few people have said the problem with Vegas is that it's in Vegas. There's not much to do there beyond gamble. I don't know how true that is.

Baseball: Were you at the Nats game on the 4th? If yes, you were right by us, but I was not going to say hi because I figured you were having a nice time with your family and didn't need the annoyance. If not, you have a twin with a lovely wife and teenaged daughter. And missed a wonderful game.

Also, texting on Metro would be fine. Loud cell calls ARE annoying.

Finally, my husband, who is a big (not fat) muscular guy was almost physically attacked when he nicely asked someone to stop talking during Gran Torino. They talked the whole movie, commenting on everything. It destroyed the movie. It was a packed theater, so nowhere to move, and our getting up to get an usher would have disturbed others and we'd have missed even more movie.

John Kelly: Yes, we went to the Nats on the Fourth. A rare win! We were there with both daughters, so if you saw only one it must have been someone else. We were in the upper deck, in the last row of a little section. It was nice, with shade and no one behind us.

Hollywood, Calif.: Is this thing on?

Regarding being unhappy with your job, I had a friend in CD who had a secure position as a government lawyer, but he loved the theatre. At midlife he decided to chuck it all, take his life savings and go to Yale to learn Theatre Management.

John Kelly: Please tell me he got his degree, found work, earns enough to survive (with a little put into savings every month) and loves his new life. Please don't tell me he is now living under a highway in New Haven.

Laurel, Md.: Would you believe I already have the best job in America? (No, I'm not a Playboy photographer.) But the Wall Street Journal ranked best jobs earlier this year, and many are plentiful in the D.C. area:

1. Mathematician 2. Actuary 3. Statistician 4. Biologist 5. Software Engineer 6. Computer Systems Analyst 7. Historian 8. Sociologist 9. Industrial Designer 10. Accountant 11. Economist 12. Philosopher 13. Physicist 14. Parole Officer 15. Meteorologist 16. Medical Laboratory Technician 17. Paralegal Assistant 18. Computer Programmer 19. Motion Picture Editor 20. Astronomer

Parole Officer?

washingtonpost.com: Doing the Math to Find the Good Jobs

John Kelly: Wow. Where's newspaper columnist? So you're a mathematician? Boy, what are the odds of that? I bet you could tell me. And so could the actuary and the statistician. Odd that the top three are numbers-related. I wonder why? Maybe the philosopher could explain.

Anonymous: Nope. I don't like my job. If I actually had work to do, I might like it. But most days, I'm bored to death. However, I get paid too much and have too good of a boss to do anything about it.

John Kelly: You don't work for the D.C. government, do you?

Since You Know Everything: Last night my husband and I bicycled from Falls Church to Vienna on the W&OD Trail. We kept seeing galvanized pipe a few feet off the trail with orange or green paint on the top 3 or 4 inches, along with arrows on the asphalt pointing to them. They don't look sophisticated enough to be gas lines. Any idea what they are?

John Kelly: I don't. Anyone? My first thought is water lines. Are they working on the pipes near there?

We need a Better Primer on what "Radical Civility" Means...: John,

I love the idea of Radical Civility, but can't help but feel that in it's infancy, people have already missed the point completely. I offer as evidence one specific, and one generality.

The Specific: In one of your commons posts about violence against ushers, a commenter posted that he has a permit to carry concealed weapons, and threatened violence against anyone texting or talking on a cell phone in a movie. I can't help but feel that "threats of violence" defeat the purpose of "Radical Civility" completely.

The General: I also can't help but feel that people are out there looking for reasons to think that other people are rude, even if it's not directly affecting them. I can't help but feel this defeats the purpose as well. I could be completely wrong in my assessment, but I was always under the impression that the point was to lead by example. To be so civil, that others can't help but notice, and to make strides to be civil themselves -- to spread civility like a viral marketing campaign.

It seems to me like people are using this as an excuse to point out how much better they are than others, which isn't "Radical Civility" to me, it's "Radical Snobbery."

Sorry for the length of this "question." I hope you have the time to offer some thoughts on it.

John Kelly: Those are good points, and it's been interesting for me to see how things can get out of hand. You introduce an idea into the ether, and then it takes on a life of its own.

I've seen those posts, too, and I wouldn't worry too much about them. People sound off online in ways they don't do in real life. And there have been just as many posts from people who do seem to "get" it. Part of my hope is that by being civil others will be civil. It's the way you "model" behavior for a child. But that sort of thing has been tried before. I hope soon to write about Howard County's "Choose Civility" campaign, based on a book by Hopkins prof PM Forni. But I noticed that his latest book is called "The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude." That suggests not enough people were choosing civility.

What differentiates Radical Civility is that we are being muscular in our dissatisfaction with rude people. We're not going to shoot them, but we are going to say, "Excuse me, can you please stop doing that?" IF they don't, fine. At least we did something. I don't want to be LOOKING for rude behavior, HOPING to find it. But I also am tired of clueless people.

Camp Moss Hollow: Everyone who reads your chat and your column should donate to Camp Moss Hollow. I am writing my check for $50 today! You're a good man, John Kelly!

John Kelly: Thank you!

Washington, D.C.: Is it weird that there's a large, dead bird of prey in the tree box in front of McCormick & Schmicks on K Street? I don't know what kind... hawk? Falcon? What's the difference? It's about 14 inches long, brown-speckled, beautiful deadly curved yellow beak...Oh. And dead. Sad.

John Kelly: Uh oh. I may have to go over there and take a look. I hope it's not one of the red-tailed hawks I wrote about.

Alexandria, Va.: Wait until that cell phone jammer gets sued because he blocked someone's ability to get help for an emergency. Then the plaintiff will own his house, his car, and his shirt.

John Kelly: I think all movie theaters should be built underground so that cell signals naturally can't penetrate them.

Another reader e-mailed to say that it was QUIETER on Metro these days. As more people text on their phones, fewer people talk on them. I think that may be true.

Do I like my Job?: Yes. I am curator of a small university anthropology museum. So small that we have exactly one exhibit case. I also teach two courses a semester. But it's now summer, so I don't even do that.

I am also a consultant to the Park Service. They finally decided that there were Indians in the parks before there were parks, so I am doing a "traditional use study" of Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Elk Refuge. They paid me to go out there last summer.

Do I like my job? You betcha. ;-)

John Kelly: You're making me jealous.

Atlanta: Second that re: mathematician.

My master's is in a tiny field of math, that is EXPLODING right now. There just aren't enough people to fill the void. So I keep going all over the country for interviews. And then get calls several months after a turned down job to see how I'm doing.

It is insane.

And it helps immensely that companies are not hiring those who need visas. Keeps my competition away, when there aren't enough people to begin with.

Hopefully we'll find something soon...

But tell your kids...math is THE THING (Who woulda thunk 20 years ago when I picked it...oh, and I'm female).

John Kelly: Revenge of the math nerds!

Both my daughters are very good at math. My Lovely Wife is better than I am. I don't know what happened to me. I belong to that group of people who gets physically ill when confronted by math. I just remember awful math classes, me just not "getting" it, flop sweat, smudged pencilings. Is it something innate in me or did I not have good teachers?

Anon, again: Nope. I'm a Federal government employee. In addition, my job is one of the top five (won't disclose too much about me, for obvious reasons) listed by the previous poster.

John Kelly: If I were you I'd spend my day working on a screenplay.

John Kelly: Did I say I never get invited to anything? That's not strictly true. I just got invited to this:

Is China Making It Out of the Economic Crisis?

China's Second Quarter Economic Results and their implications for the Upcoming U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue

Presentation by Albert Keidel, Noted China Economist and author of "China and the Economic Crisis". Commentary by Pieter Bottelier, Senior Adjunct Professor, Nitze School of Advanced International Studies and former head of World Bank Mission in China

Radical Civility: Hi John,

I have started a new hobby of chiming in to others conversations when they are talking on phones at inappropriate times. For example, on an elevator, when the person reports to his listener that he is, in fact, on the elevator, I chime in loudly with "Me too! Man, this thing is slow! I can't wait for lunch! I'm starving!" I am ridiculously cheery and smiley. It has become a game for me. The talkers have no idea how to respond. Works in grocery lines, ATM lines, etc. Cheap summer fun.

John Kelly: I think part of the problem is people don't know what's private and what's public anymore. I mean, saying you're on an elevator isn't necessarily private. (It's not very interesting, either.) Facebook falls under the same category: People post sketchy stuff then get upset when it is made "public." Well guess what: You made it public. Just like your thoughts became public when you yammered about them on your cell phone.

Richmond, Va.: It's not the regular paycheck that I'd worry about missing -- by hook or crook I could find odd jobs to pay for a simpler life as a trade off for having freedom. BUT I'm afraid to go without health care!

John Kelly: It'll be interesting to see what happens if we actually get universal health care in this country. I wonder if there'll be a huge exodus from jobs that people keep just because they're worried what would happen if they got sick. Will there be a sudden explosion of artists, mimes, theater managers, poker players, etc.?

Alexandria, Va.: It'd be fun to run off to Vegas and play cards, so I'm envious, but speaking as a unit of civilization, I'd rather have a more efficient saw blade.

A dog walks into a bar and asks the owner for a job. "Have you tried the circus?" says the owner. "Why would the circus need a bartender?" replies the dog.

John Kelly: Give that fan a contract!

Poker Players a dime a dozen: I don't love or hate my job. It's something I do to have money to spend time with my family, pay a mortgage and hopefully one day be able to retire with some pennies saved.

I would like you to follow-up with that young man in a year to see where's he at. I have a feeling he'll be back at a "regular" job. And he's lucky he has an education to fall back on after he learns there thousands of others flocking to Vegas thinking they are the next Poker Champion.

John Kelly: I don't think he necessarily wants to be a Poker Champion. He's approaching it like a job, as if he was self-employed. His aim is to be pretty prudent, earning money as if he was chipping away in a coal mine. Now, it might be that when something you enjoy becomes your job, you don't enjoy it as much. He may decide that he wants to come back not because he can't earn a living, but because it sucks all the fun out of poker.

My master's is in a tiny field of math, that is EXPLODING right now: What subfield? Seriously, I'm thinking of getting another masters in a 2nd field and since I always do well in my math/statistics/numbers crunching classes, I've thought of math.

John Kelly: Come on, lady. Tell us! Surely you'll have tenure by then.

Hollywood, Calif.: I seriously do think cinemas (most of them are not theatres anymore) SHOULD have cell phone jamming devices, but I am not so sure such things exist, and I think it's not likely they'll be used, especially if they also jam a frequency where the multiplex staff communicate with each other. I would like to see cinemas take a hard line on all offensive behavior, starting with a zero tolerance policy on phones. How do you think the audience would react if they saw a burly security guard haul someone out for taking out his phone?

John Kelly: Is that you, TJ?

TJ mentioned something I found interesting. He remembers going to tapings of TV shows in LA where they either make sure your phones are off before you go in there or confiscate them, returning them when you leave. I can see a couple reasons: They don't want them going off and ruining the taping. They don't want people snapping photos that they sell to TMZ. It'd be nice to see something like that at movie theaters, but they are two different things. One is creation, the other is projection.

Re: Math Jobs: I suspect innate ability is more important in the math jobs than the other 17. Drive, ambition and work ethic can probably get anyone with a 100 IQ a successful career in most other fields. If you don't get math, chose another.

John Kelly: Ah, that makes sense. It's not like you can hammer away at a math problem from some other angle. It's either right or it's wrong. A column, on the other hand, is never exactly right or exactly wrong. (I wonder: Does that make it harder or easier?)

Washington, DC: "So you're a mathematician? Boy, what are the odds of that? I bet you could tell me."

No, silly. You'd need to find a statistician (happy employee #3). Assuming s/he's not out on an interview.

John Kelly: Just more proof that I was an English major. I took one math class in college. Algebra. I got a C.

Jammin': Kim Jong Il is jamming the internet all over the place. Can you have a talk with him about that?

John Kelly: I was hoping to make Patti LuPone the celebrity spokesperson for Radical Civility (she lit into a cell phone texter during one of her performances), but I may have to consider Kim Jong Il.

Zipper Merging: I, too, am an early merger if I know there is a merge ahead. I just try to get in the lane I want to be in and stay there.

That said, when Pennsylvania is doing road work, they often put up signs that say something like "Stay in lane until merge point, then alternate merging." It seems to work.

John Kelly: I like to go early just because then I don't have to worry about it. I don't think I'm holding up traffic because of that. And since I always let at least one person in, I feel very virtuous.

Sad fact: There are only 3 Howard Johnson's Restaurants left standing. They had the best mac and cheese and fried clams. Sigh.

John Kelly: Quit your job and open Number 4! Has today's chat not taught you anything?

Maryland: Cell phones on trains etc. -- everyone needs to calm down. Aren't there more important things to worry about? Ignore them. I am an educator, so maybe I have honed the skill of ignoring, but spend your time and energy getting mad about things that matter.

John Kelly: And what would those things be?

The problem, I think, is we can't agree anymore. Maybe it wasn't good when we could -- society could be a restrictive place -- but I like it when there are some common mores.

Job: Yesterday, my employer announced a rather large layoff due to budget problems. I was not among the laid off. My reaction? Shockingly, a little disappointed. I guess that tells me I don't like my job, huh? (I've been looking for something else, but not hopeful about finding something at my age -- 50s.)

John Kelly: Interesting reaction. I guess that does tell you something.

Good luck in your job search.

Washington, D.C.: John...The Metro desk referred the following question to you when we asked. What has happened to the "Sky Watch" regular (monthly?) article? We miss it.

John Kelly: Really? They referred you to me? I've tried asking a few people over there, and no one seems to know. I'll try to find out in time for next week's chat.

Silver lining: Is the whole Senator Sanford thing over? I was hoping there was a way for the Appalachian Trail to piggy back on his cover story and start a lucrative line of t-shirts -- Honey, I really was on the Appalachian Trail, I hike the Appalachian Trail WITH MY WIFE -- etc.

John Kelly: I don't know if it's over. It's been entertaining, in a sick and sad sort of way. I like your T-shirt ideas. "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" is certainly going to go down as a wonderful euphemism: "Senator, how do you respond to media reports that you were hiking the Appalachian Trail?"

A funny book about a band reuniting: "Time Won't Let Me"

John Kelly: Thanks.

I saw a great play in London at the Bush Theatre called "The DysFuNKshoNalz" (or something like that; the idiot playwright should never have spelled it like that, since it's impossible to Google it). It was about a punk band reuniting after a credit card company wanted to license one of its songs. Delightful.

Alexandria, Va.: I find in the computer field that knowing a little math gives you an advantage. Every so often you bump into it. So teens, put down that Blackberry and pick up your algebra book!

John Kelly: That's right. It's too late for some of us.

And even if the mathematician/statistician/actuary thing doesn't work out, you can always play poker.

Barbie Conventioneer: John, Tell your previous chatter that Barbie & Ken split up.

Barbie has welcomed home G.I. Joe (the one with the kung-fu grip) from the war in Iraq.

Ken, while despondent over the break up, moved into Barbie's Malibu Beach Townhouse & is known in the community as Malibu Ken.

Malibu ken is having a fondue party tonight, with all the other "fellas" at Barbie's Townhouse. If you want an invite, I'm sure Malibu Ken will allow you to attend. Bring Marion with ya. I heard he's available.

John Kelly: Hizzoner will just stand in the corner muttering, "Barbie set me up."

Sidewalk update: I was the one who saw a man (not a teenager) writing in the concrete of our freshly made sidewalks. I complained to the neighborhood association and the next day someone came out and fixed it.

Oh and FYI, I am a statistician.

John Kelly: Hurrah!

As a statistician you must know that the statistician convention is coming to Washington this summer.

Rockville, Md.: I'd love to see Claude Jones, the Hangmen and Grin! Pail Dowell of the Hangmen was equipment manager for the Jefferson Airplane and Starship. John Guernsey was giving guitar or piano lessons in Silber spring I believe. Nils of Grin is playing with Springsteen.

John Kelly: And Bob Berberich, the Hangmen's drummer plays with a band called Ottley, along with wife Martha Hull.

TJ in Hollywood: 1) Patti LuPone is not the only one to stop the show when someone was taking pictures...(and she's done it twice). Katharine Hepburn did it too, albeit at a lower volume. Few stage actors have the nerve and clout to do it. The audience in these cases invariably cheers. As they would in a cinema if you took out a texter. I think maybe if it happened often enough word would get out that such things are not tolerated.

2) To find out what happened to my lawyer friend from DC who left the government job and took his life savings to go into Theatre Management, go to my blog on Cinema Sightlines. He did get into the business, and was later recognized in Variety...

John Kelly: Thanks TJ! And good luck fighting the good fight.

John Kelly: That wraps things up for today. Thanks for stopping by. I, for one, like my job, and I hope I'll be able to keep for a long time to come. If you don't like yours...well, it's the weekend. Enjoy.

We have just two weeks left in our Send a Kid to Camp campaign. We're about halfway to our $500,000 goal. Please consider making a donation.

Here's something else to think about donating: bone marrow. A Silver Spring couple is holding a bone marrow testing drive in Reston this weekend.

See you next week.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity