Primetime Emmy Award Nominees

Video
Actors Chandra Wilson and Jim Parsons announce the 2009 Primetime Emmy nominees on Thursday. Video by The Washington Post

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Lisa de Moraes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 16, 2009; 1:30 PM

Post TV Columnist Lisa de Moraes was online Thursday, July 16 at 1:30 E.T. to discuss the snubs, shoo-ins and closest calls from the 2009 Emmy Award nominations.

Full coverage: 61st Annual Emmy Award Nominations

Lisa de Moraes: Welcome to WaPoTeam TV's What Is the Academy Smoking Primetime Emmy Award Nominations Chat... Here's what you need to know:

DRAMA SERIES: "Big Love," HBO; "Breaking Bad," AMC; "Damages," FX Networks; "Dexter," Showtime; "House," Fox; "Lost," ABC; "Mad Men," AMC.

COMEDY SERIES: "Entourage," HBO; "Family Guy," Fox; "Flight of the Conchords," HBO; "How I Met Your Mother," CBS; "The Office," NBC; "30 Rock," NBC; "Weeds," Showtime.

ACTOR, DRAMA SERIES:: Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad," AMC; Michael C. Hall, "Dexter," Showtime; Hugh Laurie, "House," Fox; Gabriel Byrne, "In Treatment," HBO; Jon Hamm, "Mad Men," AMC; Simon Baker, "The Mentalist," CBS.

ACTRESS, DRAMA SERIES: Sally Field, "Brothers & Sisters," ABC; Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer," TNT; Glenn Close, "Damages," FX Networks; Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," NBC; Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men," AMC; Holly Hunter, "Saving Grace," TNT.

SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMA SERIES: William Shatner, "Boston Legal," ABC; Christian Clemenson, "Boston Legal," ABC; Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad," AMC; William Hurt, "Damages," FX Networks; Michael Emerson, "Lost," ABC; John Slattery, "Mad Men," AMC.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMA SERIES: Rose Byrne, "Damages," FX Networks; Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; Dianne Wiest, "In Treatment," HBO; Hope Davis, "In Treatment," HBO; Cherry Jones, "24," Fox.

ACTOR, COMEDY SERIES: Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS; Jemaine Clement, "Flight of the Conchords," HBO; Tony Shalhoub, "Monk," USA; Steve Carell, "The Office," NBC; Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock," NBC; Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men," CBS.

ACTRESS, COMEDY SERIES: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine," CBS; Christina Applegate, "Samantha Who?" ABC; Sarah Silverman, "The Sarah Silverman Program," Comedy Central; Tina Fey, "30 Rock," NBC; Toni Collette, "United States of Tara," Showtime; Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds," Showtime.

SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY SERIES: Kevin Dillon, "Entourage," HBO; Neil Patrick Harris, "How I Met Your Mother," CBS; Rainn Wilson, "The Office," NBC; Tracy Morgan, "30 Rock," NBC; Jack McBrayer, "30 Rock," NBC; Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men," CBS.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY SERIES: Kristin Chenoweth, "Pushing Daisies," ABC; Amy Poehler, "Saturday Night Live," NBC; Kristin Wiig, "Saturday Night Live," NBC; Jane Krakowski, "30 Rock," NBC; Vanessa Williams, "Ugly Betty," ABC; Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds," Showtime.

OUTSTANDING HOST, REALITY or REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM: Phil Keoghan, "The Amazing Race," CBS; Ryan Seacrest, "American Idol," Fox; Tom Bergeron, "Dancing With the Stars," ABC; Heidi Klum, "Project Runway," Bravo; Jeff Probst, "Survivor," CBS; Padma Lakshmi and Tom Colicchio, "Top Chef," Bravo

OUTSTANDING REALITY COMPETITION PROGRAM: "The Amazing Race," CBS; "American Idol," Fox; "Dancing With the Stars," ABC; "Project Runway," Bravo; "Top Chef," Bravo

OUTSTANDING REALITY PROGRAM: "Antiques Roadshow," PBS; "Dirty Jobs," Discovery Channel; "Dog Whisperer," NGC; "Intervention," A&e; "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List," Bravo; "Mythbusters," Discovery Channel

OUSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC or COMEDY SERIES: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central; "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," Comedy Central; "Late Show With David Letterman," CBS; "Real Time With Bill Maher," HBO; "Saturday Night Live" (NBC)

Lisa de Moraes: ....and here's the rest of what you need to know:
MINISERIES: "Generation Kill," HBO; "Little Dorrit" PBS.

MADE-FOR-TV MOVIE: "Coco Chanel," Lifetime; "Grey Gardens," HBO; "Into the Storm," HBO; "Prayers for Bobby," Lifetime; "Taking Chance," HBO.

ACTOR, MINISERIES OR MOVIE: Kevin Kline, "Cyrano de Bergerac," PBS; Brendan Gleeson, "Into the Storm," HBO; Ian McKellen, "King Lear," PBS; Kevin Bacon, "Taking Chance," HBO; Kiefer Sutherland, "24: Redemption," Fox; Kenneth Branagh, "Wallander: One Step Behind," PBS.

ACTRESS, MINISERIES OR MOVIE: Chandra Wilson, "Accidental Friendship," Hallmark Channel; Shirley MacLaine, "Coco Chanel," Lifetime; Drew Barrymore, "Grey Gardens," HBO; Jessica Lange, "Grey Gardens," HBO; Sigourney Weaver, "Prayers for Bobby," Lifetime .

SUPPORTING ACTOR, MINISERIES OR MOVIE: Ken Howard, "Grey Gardens," HBO; Len Cariou, "Into the Storm," HBO; Bob Newhart, "The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice," TNT; Tom Courtenay, "Little Dorrit," PBS; Andy Serkis, "Little Dorrit," PBS.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS, MINISERIES OR MOVIE: Marcia Gay Harden, "The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler," CBS; Jeanne Tripplehorn, "Grey Gardens," HBO; Shohreh Aghdashloo, "House of Saddam," HBO; Janet McTeer, "Into the Storm," HBO; Cicely Tyson, "Relative Stranger," Hallmark Channel.

Rockshire, Md.: Dear Pooky- I don't understand how Elisabeth Moss could be nominated over January Jones. Really? Betty Draper had so much more to do last season. And how could the "Lost" boys be overlooked? Are the noms due to better agents, campaigns or support from the show? Also is it two early to dream of a Jon Hamm-Simon Baker tie just so they can stand next to each other on TV? It's like my own personal "Sophie's Choice."

Lisa de Moraes: Wow, lot of questions here:
First, Moss is being honored for frumping down for the part --- quite the acting sacrifice in Hollywood. It's like when Farrah Facwett, may she rest in peace, frumped down for those TV movies that got her recognition.

I'm not surprised the "Lost" boys were overlooked. I'm not sure I disagree with that either. And yes, I do think "campaigning" has a lot to do with the results we're seeing today.

No, it's our collective Sophie's choice..

Arlington, Va.: How did "True Blood" get lost in the nominations? I read on Entertainment Weekly the other day that it was not eligible yet for a nomination -- is that true?

Lisa de Moraes: The TV academy will not vote for any show that has fangs. Period.

Beltsville, Md.: "Family Guy" got an Emmy nomination!!!

Is this more of a shot at the industry for not producing better comedy or a shot at "The Simpsons" for declining so dramatically over the past 5-8 years?

Lisa de Moraes: "The Simpsons" should have been nominated for best comedy series the two times it tried in the 90s. It's a crime and a sin the academy could not get its head around the idea of an animated, um, comedy. And yes, "Family Guy" is benefiting from the fact the comedy pool is so thin these days, but what the heck in re "Big Bang Theory" not getting a nom. Paleeze...

Northern Virginia: Love love love Jim Parsons on "Big Bang Theory." Think he has a shot against Alec Baldwin? How cool that he got to announce his own nomination.

Lisa de Moraes: Both men are brilliant in their roles. Can there be a tie here too?

Ellicott City, MD: Were more shows per category nominated than in previous years? Please share your thoughts on the show "Damages." Thanks.

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, in some of the glam categories, the academy decided to up the number of noms to six. Only they wound up upping the number to seven in some cases because there was a vote tie. They also reverted back to popular-vote among academy members instead of "blue ribbon" judge panels. The broadcast networks, which take turns telecasting the Emmys, hoped the change would bring more shows people actually watch into the pool of nominees. Too bad on that. Anyway, I wrote a whole column about it and here it is for your edification:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/14/AR2009071403456.html

washingtonpost.com:

big snub!: No love for Robert Sean Leonard?!?! What's wrong with this world?

Lisa de Moraes: We love Robert Sean Leonard! I can't figure this one either.

Anonymous: I was glad to see "HIMYM," Neil Patrick Harris and the guy from "Big Bang Theory" get nods. What chances do they have against critically-loved "30 Rock" and its cast?

Lisa de Moraes: It's an honor just to be nominated right? Aka, don't hold your breath. "30 Rock" has all the momentum. Last year it was the most nominated series and this year it is as well -- and with five more noms than last year. And yet, hardly anyone watches the show. Except, it would appear, TV academy members.

Silver Spring: Pookmeisteress, I am disappointed that Katherine Heigl was not nominated after an incredible season, and that Eva Longoria-Parker was ignored for her stellar turn this year. What surprised you most?

Lisa de Moraes: I think Katherine Heigl will never ever be forgiven in the TV industry for telling the press she did not allow her name to be tossed into the Emmy nominations ring last year because "Grey's Anatomy" executive producer Shonda Rhimes had not provided her with good enough material to merit the attempt. Nor, might I add, should she. It was a very petty, meanspirited comment. Shonda Rhimes has made Heigl a star and made her millions of dollars. Heigl apparently never learned how to be gracious. Okay, I'm through ranting about Heigl now.

Flight of the Conchords: Any chance whatsoever that they will win? Jemaine Clement is so much funnier than Jeremy Piven.

Lisa de Moraes: Which is why he's nominated and Piven's not...I still think it's a long shot.

Hooray for Hollywood: Come on, how political are the Emmys?

Lisa de Moraes: No more than any other trophy show and definitely less than some other trophy shows. But yes, I do believe aggressive campaigning helps shows get nominated. Showtime has been extremely aggressive with its Emmy "for your consideration" marketing campaign for the past couple years, and made great inroads at the Emmys -- last year got its first nomination for a drama series and this year first for a comedy series.

Silver Spring, MD: SNL's Amy Poehler and Kristin Wiig are both nominated in the comedy supporting actress category, up against sitcom actresses. Is that a new thing?

Lisa de Moraes: I think that started last year. Or may be I dreamed that...

Bremerton, Wash.: Thanks for the chat, Pookie.

How bad is it when "Desperate Housewives'" only Nomination is for a guest spot by Beau Bridges. Should Marc Cherry have quit while he could?

Lisa de Moraes: Kinda think so, don't you?

Please no!: Yes, there is no justice in this world when Ryan Seacrest can get a nom, but Robert Sean Leonard cannot.

Please, please, please do not award Seabiscuit an Emmy. It's bad enough that he has become the poster child for hosting just to torture us, but please don't encourage him more. Blech.

Lisa de Moraes: You are preaching to the choir...Seabiscuit's got his new $45 million contract with the "Idol" producers -- or is it $450 million? Anyway, he's richer than god, so he does not need an Emmy...go away, Seabiscuit.

Washington, DC: Come on Lisa! No one watches "30 Rock"? Doesn't it have about the same demo numbers as "BBT" and "HIMYM"?

What you mean to say is that no one watches "Damages." Didn't have under 1.0 rating this season?

Lisa de Moraes: Last season "30 Rock" averaged about 7.6 million viewers. That's a niche show. That does not mean I think it's a bad show -- I am, in fact, a big fan. But CBS's "Two and a Half Men" averaged twice as many viewers, more than 15 million. "Two and a Half Men" is a broadcast show. "30 Rock" is a wildly successful cable show. You need to remember a broadcast network reaches virtually 100 percent of the people in this country and there are 290 million of them. And, FYI, "HIMYM" last season averaged about 10 million viewers. Yes, "HIMYM" is CBS's youngest skewing show.

Hartford, Conn.: Hi Lisa. Do you think Jeremy Piven's mercury poisoning cost him a nomination for "Entourage"?

Lisa de Moraes: Golly, I certainly hope so. I'm particularly knicker knotted about his whole "I had mercury poisoning thing" excuse for dropping out of that Bway production because I had my mercury level checked several months ago -- I eat way too much sushi. Anyway, my mercury level was a lot higher than Piven's -- and I continued to show up for work. Every day. I did, however, give up sushi for a few months.

nominees any better?: There were 8 million nominees in some categories and still some seemed to miss the boat on shows that actually get watched - "Gray's," "Desperate Housewives," "24" etc.? What do you think?

Lisa de Moraes: I think neither "Grey's" nor "DH" nor "24" deserved nomination this year for best drama seires. I kinda like this year's list of drama nominees. Except "Lost" which has so jumped the shark. And "Big Love" which, I keep saying, would be a much better show if all the wives got little hatchets.

Washington, D.C. : Hey Pookie! I am a huge "30 Rock" fan and am so tickled pink that Tracy Morgan and Jack McBrayer were nominated! Do you think that one of them could actually win?

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, I do. I'm that optimistic. Jack McBrayer would have my vote..

The Barn: I'm really kind of bummed that "The Shield" didn't get any recognition for its last year. The show never really had a drop-off in quality at all from the first episode on. I thought this would be the year that Walton Goggins would finally get his chance (and that Michael Chiklis would get nominated again) Are you surprised that the show didn't get anything???

Lisa de Moraes: I was not a fan of the way the show was wrapped up, but thought it would be nominated this year. Maybe FX did not bother campaigning for it, since it was a lame duck. That's always possible.

Bleeding Eyes: Ugh, I am stabbing myself with my scissors at seeing Sarah Silverman getting a best actress nod. How in the world did that happen? She's completely unfunny and not interesting. Her entire schtick is that "I'm pretty so I'll make poop and Holocaust jokes and people will call me a genius!" The worst part is that there are better shows and people out there getting snubbed. Why doesn't FX get any love? The shows on that channel are grades above network tv and yet I rarely see anything for them. This might just be the worst batch of Emmy nominees ever. They never learn and now they just lost another viewer. I pretty much stopped watching Comedy Central after they gave that banshee a show and don't plan on going back.

Lisa de Moraes: "I'm pretty so I'll make poop and Holocaust jokes and people will call me a genius!"...is the best, most succinct review of "The Sarah Silverman Program" I have ever read...you have missed your calling. Unless you are a TV critic. Anyway, the academy has shown love for FX. How about "Damages" and "The Shield" (which yes, did not get nominated this year but has in the past)...

Arlington, Va.: Dear Lisa -

Could a show like "Chuck" ever be nominated, and if so, for what? They don't have a "Funny Drama" or "Dramatic Comedy" section.

Still, I love it that Jim Parsons was nominated. I love him even just a little more than Alec Baldwin!

Lisa de Moraes: Wait a minute -- a lot of one-hour shows are now putting themselves up for consideration in the comedy category. "Ugly Betty," "Weeds," "Desperate Housewives," etc. "Chuck" certainly could have put itself up for consideration in this category..

Jeremy Piven: Wasn't Elisabeth Moss his co-star on Broadway? Sweet revenge for her....

Lisa de Moraes: Him and his mercury poisoning. Hooey!

Two and a Half Actors: Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer both getting noms is absurd. (They are both awful in an awful show, for one thing. And Cryer is Support but Sheen is the lead?) Also, Neil Patrick Harris is the star of HIMYM. Why is he in the supporting category?

Lisa de Moraes: I can't explain the heirarchy at "2.5 Men" except I'm guessing Sheen makes a boatload more money than Cryer and its in his contract that he's the star. Or maybe he just has the better parking space. And yes, you and I know Neil Patrick Harris is the reason to watch "HIMYM" but the show is supposed to be about Bimbo Guy looking for, you know, those two tweeners's mother, so I get the whole supporting-actor thing for Harris.

Washington, D.C.: Lisa,

I enjoy watching "Family Guy," but do I think it really is so good that it should be in the running for a Best Comedy Series Emmy? Not in the slightest. I can't honestly believe there is nothing more deserving out there.

Lisa de Moraes: There are more deserving shows -- they just did not get nominated...."Big Bang Theory" for instance. No, I'm not going to let go....

Silver Spring, Md.: Ummm -- Kevin Kline did "Cyrano"? I love them both - why didn't I hear about this? Will it be replayed? How was it?

Lisa de Moraes: It was a staging for the PBS station in NYC, of the Bway production. Kevin Kline was brilliant but he's always brilliant, even when he's chewing the scenery ("Pirates of Penzance"). Jennifer Garner as Roxanne, was, um, Jennifer Garner as Roxanne. Sadly, it does not appear PBS is going to air it again any time soon, but you can get it on DVD. It's worth seeing. I'm sorry you did not know about it -- big failure on part of WaPo Team TV. We did not review it.

Arlington, VA: Would Seacrest have gotten his nomination if he was still overshadowed by Dunkleman? Dunkleman was the true talent of that preminent hosting duo, sort of like Batman to Seacrest's Robin!

Lisa de Moraes: now I've gone and spit my coffee out all over my keyboard. Thanks a lot...

The Wire Snub: Once again "The Wire" did not receive any nominations. At least this year, they didn't deserve any.

But I did see Omar on "The Philanthropist" last night.

Lisa de Moraes: Wait -- I thought "The Wire" was not eligible...did I dream that too?

Washington, D.C.: Lisa, how did all the actors from "Big Love" get snubbed? Harry Dean Stanton was enough to make you check to see that all the doors and windows were locked.

Lisa de Moraes: I'm sorry but you are talking to the wrong person. "Big Love" is my idea of torture. I want to gouge my eyes out just seeing the promos. Why, oh why, can't the wives just run to the local convenience store and purchase little hatchets and we could wrap up this show in about 1 more Very Special Episode. This is probably why I am not a TV critic. Love "Idol," hate "Big Love."

Emmy "Chuck" could win: Yvonne Strahovski could so win if they had an Emmy for "Best American Accent by British/Australian/New Zealand Actor".

Lisa de Moraes: Best American Accent by foreigner would go to Hugh Laurie. I spoke to several Fox execs who had the show on their air for months before they realized he was a Brit. Honestly, nobody holds a candle to Laurie...

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose: Why no love for Friday Night Lights? I know no one watches it, but for three seasons the show has created some of the most realistic drama of any scripted show I've ever seen.

Lisa de Moraes: I too am surprised it did not get nominated...even though it has cheerleaders...

Shield wrap up: Lisa,

What didn't you like about the way the "Shield" ended? Vic Mackey in purgatory- I loved it!

Lisa de Moraes: I was hoping for a big production number....

Writing Catagory (Mad Men 4: Lost 1: Does it seem a little obnoxious that four of the five nominations for writing went to "Mad Men"? I understand the writing is great but it just seems off. Especially since there were some other shows with fantastic writing this year.

Not to mention how Mary McDonnell and Edward James Olmos got shut out for "Battlestar"...but its on Sci Fi (never going to type out SyFy which is lame). Lame!

Lisa de Moraes: It's more than a little obnoxious. And one of the first things you learn when you start covering TV industry is that the TV academy does not take Syfy (I'm adapting) or vampires seriously. Period.

Alexandria, Va.: Who are these Emmy people. No best comedy for "Big Bang Theory"? Do these people actually know what is funny?

Lisa de Moraes: Did you see the episode where Penny gives Sheldon, for Christmas, a restaurant napkin with Leonard Nimoy's signature -- and DNA -- on it. It was maybe the funniest thing I've seen in years.

"Ugly Betty": No nomination for the awesome America Ferrera? What's this world coming too? Or is she prepping now for the Sonia Sotomayor Story made-for-TV movie on Lifetime?

Lisa de Moraes: I think America got snubbed because the show has faltered lately...

Olney, Md.: Bummed out again that "Rescue Me" got cheated out of more than one Emmy nomination that I can find.

Hope Michael J. Fox's stint on the show, as Dwight, gets the win.

Seems like the extra nomination really didn't break any logjams. Seems that only "Family Guy" and "How I Met Your Mother" got any breaks.

Your thoughts on how the nomination process can be made fairer?

Lisa de Moraes: Strap all the academy voters into chairs and make them watch my favorite episodes of my fave shows. That would definitely be more fair. Oh, and outlaw these mondo marketing campaigns, except that would plow under the trade papers and I got my start covering TV at one of the trades so I'm very sentimental about them. I give up -- how do we make the Emmy nominations process more fair? Oh, and speaking of "Family Guy's" historic nomination for Best Comedy Series, our WaPo Team TV InstaPoll: Did "Family Guy" deserve an Emmy nomination for Best Comedy Series? Coughed up some interesting results. Turns out, nearly 50 percent of you think it did NOT deserve the nomiation -- bravo -- and nearly 30 percent of you did not realize the show was still on the air -- even better! I love you guys!

American in London: Hugh Laurie's American accent is decent, but it's still quite obvious (to me, at least) that he's a Brit speaking with an American accent. Damian Lewis and Jamie Bamber are both far better at it (although Bamber has an advantage as one of his parents is American, I think).

Lisa de Moraes: No way!...Okay, that's the best answer I could come up with on short notice and three hours sleep...

Columbia, Md.: How does Charlie Sheeen get nominated for best actor, and Jon Cryer for supporting actor... Aren't they both the lead actors of the show? It is "Two and a Half Men"! Wouldn't that make them both up for lead actor...

Lisa de Moraes: We've already cleared up this pressing question: Sheen has the better parking space...

Georgetown, DC: Rooting for Simon Baker. Does the Academy usually vote down first-time nominees?

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, so go out there and Get Out the Vote! Oh wait......

Math teacher: It's a sad fact that in order to win in a field of 6 candidates, a nominee need receive hypothetically as little as just one vote over 1/6th of the votes in order to win. Not necessarily a ringing endorsement, wouldn't you say? Any idea what percentage of votes most winners get (I know, I know, it's supposed to be top secret, but just between you 'n' me 'n' the lamppost, dearest Pookie...).

Lisa de Moraes: I give up -- you win! Just please, make the math go away!...

Baltimore, Md: I was amazed when I looked at the nominees and realized I haven't watched any of those shows except "Project Runway", "Top Chef", and "Entourage" (before I canceled my HBO). Should I be worried?

Lisa de Moraes: Good grief yes? What do you talk about at parties?

Did it work?: So, I'm looking at the drama category, and I read your column that said the reason for ditching the blue ribbon panel and going to 6 noms was to get away from the little, niche show getting an award. The drama category has Mad Men, Damages, Breaking Bad, and Dexter - not shows I would call big mainstream juggernauts. Am I wrong?

Lisa de Moraes: No, you win the prize. You are absolutely right. Popular vote did not accomplish what the broadcast networks had hoped. It now appears inevitable the Emmy show will migrate to cable and cable will win all the categories and it will become the CableAce Awards -- the trophies the cable industry used to hand out to each other before they started winning Emmys...

Washington, DC: So how do you think Neil Patrick Harris will do as host? The best host of late was Conan about 4 years or so ago. Remember Bob Newhart in the airtight chamber for winners who went over the time limit? He was really good at skewering NBC - just think how good he'd be this year seeing how NBC is doing even worse now.

Lisa de Moraes: Thanks for reminding me -- I'm laughing all over again. But then, pretty much anything makes me laught right now since I only got about 3 hours sleep last night before I had to get up and drive halfway to Canada -- aka North Hollywood -- for the 5:30 a.m. nominee announcements. oh wait, we were actually talking about something, weren't we? Oh yes -- Neil Patrick Harris. He's going to be sensational and he's our only hope for this show not being a total bust. He was brilliant hosting the Tonys and the best part is, hardly anyone saw him host the Tonys because, as NBC used to say about its reruns, if you didn't see them the first time around there New To You.. Okay I think I'd better sign off....thanks for joining me. Remember: Save the Emmys, Save the World...bye.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity