The 'Lost' Hour: Season 1 and 2 Review

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly Staff
Thursday, July 30, 2009; 3:00 PM

"Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney attempt to get to the bottom of time travel, love quadrangles and all things related to the ABC's cult favorite every Thursday at 3 p.m. ET. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for

For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit's Lost Central.

Jen Chaney: Welcome to today's "Lost" chat. So much ground to cover today.

The obvious, for starters, are three very crucial episodes from season one. But lots of other stuff has been happening in the "Lost"-iverse this week, particularly the excitement related to last Saturday's Comic-Con panel.

My apologies, again, for not being there. Some personal issues arose at the last minute. And no, they did not have anything to do with me winning the lottery and realizing my family was cursed. But it would have been kind of awesome if they did.

Thankfully, the entire panel can be viewed in multiple places on the Interwebs, including on

Doc Arzt's always excellent "Lost" blog

Much to say here, but I'll focus on what I consider to be the big thing: based on some the videos shown during the panel (Hurley's Mr. Cluck's ad, the America's Most Wanted spot featuring Kate) and other hints dropped at the Con (the fact that Dominic Monaghan appeared onstage with the following message written on his hand: "Am I alive?"), do you think that the explosion at the end of season five really did alter the course of everyone's realities? It certainly seems like that's the implied message.

Unless of course, LindeCuse are just trying to mess with us. And that's hard to believe. When have the writers of "Lost" ever tried to do that??

Liz Kelly: I'm running late, as usual, so I'll just say thank god Jen's back to get us all back on track.

Technical issue: Hi- I don't have contact info for technical website issues, but I wanted to let you know that the latest Chat is not on the main Lost Central page. It refers back to the July 16 chat. When I went to find the July 23 chat, I could only find it by clicking on a link at the very bottom of the page (under "People who read this also read..."). Can you please pass the info on to the technical people so they can fix the link? It was very frustrating.

Jen Chaney: Hi there. Sorry for the lack of an update there. I just fixed the Lost Central page moments ago so it now links to today's chat. I usually keep this updated but since I have been on vacation, it slipped through the cracks.

You see, we not only host chats, blog, etc., we also act as the "technical people." Sometimes we also mop the floors.

(Okay, I was just kidding about mopping the floors.)

Anyway, sorry about that. It won't happen again, my friend.

Liz Kelly: Can I just mention that Jen, who is chatting and busily fixing "Lost" Central, is on vacation?

Jen Chaney: Yes, I clearly have problems. But I couldn't go two weeks in a row without joining you guys. That wouldn't be right.

Cleveland: So, I'm assuming most people in this chat have watched the ComicCon Lost panel or at least read about it. They showed some great video clips, including a season 6 preview. It shows everyone boarding the original plane, but interestingly, it focuses mostly on Locke watching everyone board, as if he knows something they do not... adds fodder to the "is he or isn't he possessed the whole time" theory.

Also, anyone know anything about the Plymouth Air crash depicted at the end of the same clip?

Jen Chaney: I agree, Cleveland. All the flashes -- to Jack and Locke seeing the Hatch, Ben strangling Locke, etc. -- definitely suggest that Locke (or whoever) already has these memories in his head when he's onboard 815. If in fact, 815 is the flight they board.

Re: Plymouth Air -- the crash at the end of the clip in question (see below) totally looks like a scene from the Nicolas Cage movie, "Knowing." Beyond that, I have no idea what to make of it. But it suggests that Oceanic 815 does not crash, as does the Oceanic ad that was shown. (I've embedded that below as well; it comes after Hugo's Mr. Cluck

's commercial.)

Lost Season Six Promo:

Mr. Cluck's/Oceanic Ad:

Liz Kelly: I love that promo.

In the panel, LindeCuse talked about wanting to bring the show full circle -- to recapture some of the dynamic they had in season one. It would make sense then to bring some mystery back to John's character.

The theme of this summer's rewatch seems to be John Locke and whether or not he was possessed (in whole or in part) by the Man in Black already. In watching "Deus Ex Machina," I had such a distinct feeling that the John Locke who had a hissy fit at the hatch when his Trebouchet (?) doesn't work and then fails to realize he has a metal spike sticking into his leg was not the same John Locke who worked in a box factory. He seemed possessed, to put it plainly. Jen?

Jen Chaney: I am still very conflicted about this issue. Here's why: If Locke were possessed from the very beginning, that suggests that he must have been possessed the entire time he was on the island. And that would include the period in season two -- which we obviously will get to later in our recap process -- when he begins to express serious doubts about his purpose on the island. At that point, he didn't seem possessed at all to me. So that's why I have some trouble with this.

I do think some entity -- be it the island, Esau, Jacob, or the random being behind Door No. 4 -- purposely took away Locke's ability to walk just before they found the plane. That way he couldn't climb into the plane, which meant Boone had to.

Liz Kelly: I think it's possible that something is fighting for control of Locke and sometimes wins. Maybe it stepped back -- or out of him in season 2.

But as to Boone's tumble in the plane... Locke sent him up there knowing it would fall and that Boone would be severely injured. Yet he did it anyway. Making him no better than his kidney-swiping father.

The Finale: You know, I would be happy if Lost ended with a scene depicting Hurley knocking on Walt's door and handing him a check for $83,000. (season 1 backgammon winnings)

Liz Kelly: That is not a bad idea at all.

Rewatching the first season, I really do miss Walt. I wish they'd figured out a way to keep him in the show. I think someone may have mentioned this in last week's chat, but his character seemed to have at least a hint of some underlying menace in some of these early episodes -- the bird flying into the window, the super-demanding tone he takes with his mom (and come to think of it, did he possibly cause her death as he caused the bird to fly into the window) and his seemingly remorseless (so far) torching of the raft. It was an interesting direction. Much like the ambiguity of Locke's character.

Jen Chaney: That is an awesome suggestion! Really, Hurley should have paid the kid when Walt came to see him at Santa Rosa. It would have been the honorable thing to do.

I agree with Liz, the development of Walt's character never was resolved in a satisfying manner. That's one of those strings that was left dangling. I am doubtful that he'll be addressed in any meaningful way next season ... I can't tell if he appears in

the new promo image for season six

It is clear that many old characters will be returning in some form, which is really exciting. The narrative hopefully will come full circle. Whether that involves Walt much ... eh, I don't know.

former Lostie in town: Blake Bashoff, who played Karl, is in town performing in Spring Awakening at the Kennedy Center (one of the better performers in the show BTW...) Has anyone seen him around town??

Jen Chaney: Wow, I did not realize he was in "Spring Awakening"! Liz and I may have to try to get some time with good, 'ol Karl. Assuming that his time in room 23 hasn't frightened him away from ever discussing "Lost" again.

Charlie alive? I think so...: Ok - for us J.J. fans who date back to Alias, there was an episode where one of the main characters - Vaughn - 'dies' just like Charlie does - in a scene where he is last seen looking through a window in a room submerged in water, then presumed drowned. He shows up alive one or two episodes later. As soon as I saw that Charlie scene, I thought - oh, this is just like that Alias thing - no way Charlie is dead.

Jen Chaney: Totally understand why you would say that. The difference, though, is that I don't think only Charlie will "return from the dead."

I think a lot of characters who have left the show will come back if -- and it's still an if, obviously -- the crash does not happen the way we previously thought it would.

Of course, during the Comic-Con panel, Jorge Garcia himself asked LindeCuse about that very possibility and noted that if that's how the show ends, it seems like kind of a cheat. Damon Lindelof told him to trust them, it wouldn't be a cheat. But it certainly seems like some of these characters' fates may have gone down a different path.

Liz Kelly: Hey, and if LindeCuse want to cheat, it's their show. But for our sakes I hope they don't get all David Chase on us.

Burke: I read somewhere last week that many of the season one cast will feature in season six. Doesn't that imply they will be a part of the storyline? I mean there's no room for flashback material that would fit into the story and I don't foresee some kind of Star Wars esque appearance as a spirit so by process of elimination Boone, Claire and Charlie will feature in the storyline in a meaningful way. Your thoughts?

Liz Kelly: Anything is possible with this show. We could get a re-telling of sorts or see "new" material set in the season one time-frame. Or, as many suspect, we will see history re-written -- and for that, I suppose we need those old faces.

Jen Chaney: I tend to agree that they will figure in in some meaningful way. The question is what does that mean in terms of screen time?

I'm thinking about this purely from a practical standpoint. Dominic Monaghan is in another show, "Flash Forward." Same goes for Ian Somerhalder, who's in "Vampire Diaries." If they have other active projects going on, it's hard for me to imagine, say, Charlie and Boone playing a crucial role in every single episode. But I do think they will appear and that it will be meaningful in some way. If that makes any sense.

In case you haven't already heard or read, we do know Elizabeth Mitchell will return as Juliet, but it sounds like her return will be brief, and may happen more toward the beginning of the season. She's another one who's starring in another series -- "V" -- so I can't see her playing the same kind of front-and-center role she has played during the past couple of seasons. Plus, it's not even clear that she's alive.

Lost on ABC: It appears that ABC has just removed seasons 2-4 from the full episode player. Crap.

Liz Kelly: Well that's no good. I'll write the ABC folks and see if we can get an answer and find out if the eps will be reposted.

Jen Chaney: That's strange. Hopefully we can get an answer.

I think they're supposed to be on Hulu soon, if they aren't already. You may want to check there, if you haven't.

Boone!: I can't believe Jen hasn't mentioned Boone yet - I read in one of the articles in EW that he will be returning to the final season of LOST.

Where does one find these videos from ComicCon. I saw some of the highlights on EW, and I see you've posted some in the chat (which I can't view at work but will get to them later)??

Jen Chaney: I have been remarkably restrained in my Boone references. But I will now note, since you asked, that the female screams that erupted during Boone's moment in the In Memoriam video made me feel like I'm not alone in this world. (Speaking of which, here is that completely hilarious montage. Prepare to have Boyz II Men stuck in your head for the remainder of the day.)

Re: videos: just go onto You Tube and do a search for Lost Comic-Con. You'll find everything pretty easily. And as I mentioned before, Doc Arzt's blog has most of the panel and accompanying videos posted as well.

Locke question: Remember when Locke got shot by Ben and didn't die? Who or what saved him? Esau or Jacob? We know Jacob saved him when he fell out of the window but what about when he was lying in that grave? The bullet went through where his kidney would have been.

Liz Kelly: And it was Tall Ghost Walt who woke Locke up, yes?, and told him he had better things to do than die.

Ohio: Boone's coming back! Charlie's coming back! It's enough to make a girl swoon in her office!

How do we think they'll come back? Will the whole season be a reboot, or will we have to wait until closer to the end to see them?

Jen Chaney: As has been made clear by my other responses to this line of questioning, I'm totally making this up. But I suspect that a new timeline will have been created. So all of these characters will perhaps, board a flight together. But it won't crash. Or it will crash somewhere else. Or they'll all end up in the movie "Knowing."

So I guess I'm foreseeing a pseudo-reboot. But I'm just speculating. To be honest, I have no idea what the heck they're going to do to get us back into the story. I'm just trying to savor the anticipation before the season begins. Seriously, that In Memoriam video they showed at Comic-Con made me genuinely sad. I can't believe "Lost" is ending soon. As annoying as "not knowing the answers" may have been, everyone who loves this show should relish the "not knowing." These are the last few months of not knowing we have.

Oh God, pass the Kleenex....

Liz Kelly: I'm wondering how they plan to deal with Michael and Walt if they do a reboot of sorts. Harold Perrineau didn't exactly part on good terms with LindeCuse after this season and Malcolm David Kelley is, like, a man at this point.

Jen Chaney: Right. That's why I am skeptical about the Walt thing really factoring in much.

Lexington: In "Numbers," I wonder if Locke took an affinity to Claire in the early episodes because he knew she was Christian's daughter, or someone who would eventually "cross over," so to speak.

Also, how great was the Hurley/Rousseau hug??

Liz Kelly: The hug was awesome. I love that in the early days Hurley was still "Good time Hurley," but that he often had a way of making dead on observations that got right to the point.

And if you haven't watched the Comic-Con panel yet (linked above somewhere), it's worth it just for the Jorge Garcia cameo. (Not to mention the Michael Emerson, Josh Holloway and Dom Monaghan cameos.)

Oh, and when Dom flashed that "Am I alive" palm at the crowd, I got chills. Just got them again writing about it.

I am nerd, hear me roar.

Jen Chaney: Okay, I just got chills reading about you describing how you got chills while writing about the moment that originally gave you chills. I *think* that makes me a nerd. And also a desperately confused individual.

Re: the question about Locke. I thought about his affinity for Claire, too. And I think it might link back, on some subconscious level, to his mother. I randomly caught a "Lost" repeat of "Cabin Fever" on SyFy (dear Lord, I hate typing the ridiculous new name for that network) last night, and it reminded me of the pressure Emily Locke faced after giving birth to John. She ultimately gave up her baby and John lived with foster parents.

So I wonder if, on some level, Locke empathized with Claire because she also was a young mom who struggled with whether or not to keep her child. Also, for the record, she looks a heck of a lot like the young Emily Locke.

Karl: I think the show is only in town through this weekend - so if you want to talk with him, act fast!

Jen Chaney: You're right. It closes Aug. 2. Darn. We may have missed our chance to pick Karl's brain.

Burke, VA: If Locke was already possessed by "Esau" from the beginning then why would Christian Sheppard have needed to give him directions to turn the wheel? Is Christian an agent of Jacob? If that truly was Esau at the wheel then why would he have listened to Christian as some sort of prophet?

Liz Kelly: I think that was the real John -- the John that died in Los Angeles and ended up in the casket.

If Locke was possessed by Esau (if that's even his name), it may not have been 100 percent of the time and he may have abandoned Locke once he got things in motion.

Jen Chaney: Okay, I gotta say it: Liz, I don't know what you're talking about.

Are you suggesting that Esau possessed Locke only occasionally? I guess that's plausible. It just seems sort of random. I mean, if you're going to possess someone, commit to it, for God's sakes.

Liz Kelly: No no no -- clearly you haven't been reading "The Dark Tower" series. This hands-off kind of possession apparently happens all the time, Jen. From last week's chat:

Liz Kelly: Right... one of my pet theories is that there's a struggle taking place inside John Locke for control of his thoughts and actions and with no clear winner, he keeps ping-ponging back and forth between nice-ish guy and diabolical man with big knife.I'm reading the second book of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series right now and, in it, the main character steps through a door and basically inhabits another man's body and mind. Most of the time, he hangs in the background, just along for the ride. But if he wants to, he can come forward and basically take over the guy's actions and thoughts.That would be one way to explain the duality of John Locke.

Jen Chaney: Okay, that's helpful. Clearly I need to read more Steven King.

(Do I get extra credit, though, for reading Flannery O'Connor's "Everything That Rises Must Converge?" And if I do get credits, can I transfer them to my first semester at

Lost University

Season One cast: "It's hard for me to imagine, say, Charlie and Boone playing a crucial role in every single episode"

Well, I don;t think there's anyone who's played a crucial role in every single episode. There are lots of things going on in this show, in lots of different times and places. They could have a prominent storyline and still only be in one out of every three episodes.

Jen Chaney: That's true. I guess I am just thinking in terms of season one and a potential reboot or revisiting of that season.

Even when Charlie isn't the focus of an episode, Dominic Monaghan is still present in almost every episode from that season. He was on the call sheet for each episode. So that's all I'm saying: I'm not expecting some of these returning characters to be present to the same extent that they were in season one.

Bethesda, Md.: Since things seem to be slow today let pose this question to you. Off the top of your head, what's your favorite episode? For me it's Nikki and Paolo. They added such depth to the show.

Liz Kelly: That's just impossible. I tried to narrow it down and started getting flustered. I could maybe tell you some of my least favorite episodes (Nikki and Paolo).

Jen Chaney: I think my least favorite episode is the Bai Ling episode. Yes, I hate it even more than "Expose."

This is another topic we may have to revisit as part of our end-of-"Lost"-athon festivities. It's very hard for me to pick a favorite episode. At the moment, I would say the third season finale. But I reserve the right to totally change my answer.

Silver Spring, MD: Sonya "Penny" Walger is also in "Flash Forward" - at least in the pilot.

Jen Chaney: You're quite right, she is. I think ABC may be hoping that "Flash Forward" is the next "Lost."

Liz Kelly: Hey there -- I have to run for a phone interview. I'll be out next week vacationing, but leave you in Jen's utterly capable hands. I'll be watching the episodes, though, and be ready to jump back in on Aug. 13th.

Jen Chaney: We'll miss you, Liz! I'm sticking around for a few more minutes, people, so keep the questions coming.

Anonymous: May I remind you that if Locke still had that kidney he would have bled to death when he was shot...

Jen Chaney: You may remind us. And I think you just did.

Re: Locke sent Boone up there knowing it would fall : I'm not sure Locke really sent Boone up there knowing he would fall. I think Locke kind of expected there would be something in the plane that would help him get the hatch open, and that Boone would come down safely with whatever it was. After all, he did start screaming for Boone to get out when the plane started to rock.

I'm not sure I believe all this "Locke was posessed since Season 1" stuff either. Locke seems more like a complicated man who believes he's in tune with the island's mythical powers. The tantrum at the end of this episode was more of a man who lost hope than one who was posessed.

Plus, if he was already controlled by the Anti-Jacob, why did AJ need to beg him to "Help Me" when he first visits "Jacob's" cabin with Ben?

Jen Chaney: Sorry, let me clarify. I didn't mean to suggest that Locke purposely wanted Boone to fall or that he knew it would happen. I meant that the island -- or Jacob, or God, whatever -- knew. It was fate. And that's why Locke's legs wouldn't work.

And good question about the cabin. I'm not sold on the possession stuff either. I can totally see why one would be convinced that it's true, but I still can't completely wrap my head around it either.

Liz Kelly: I suggested that Locke knew Boone would get hurt up there. And he clearly did having seen a bloodied Boone in the dream that led him to the Beechcraft wreckage.

And if you rewatch the scene where Boone says he'll climb the cliff Locke looks at him as if he knows he's ashamed, yet risks sacrificing Boone anyway because he sees the attainment of his goal -- opening the hatch -- as more important than Boone's life. It doesn't mean he has to like it or be at peace with it, it is just the way things had to be for John Locke.

Jen Chaney: Okay, I agree that Locke puts the hatch before Boone. There is no question about that. And he knew Boone was taking a risk and did nothing to stop him. But I don't think he knew Boone would die.

He also starts screaming for Boone to get out of the plane and Boone doesn't heed Locke's warning. Not that it's justification for Locke's behavior, especially since he totally bails once he gets Boone in Jack's hands. But I don't think he realized Boone's life was at stake. He's so singularly focused on the hatch and his visions that he doesn't even stop to think of the consequences.

Favorite episode: Like you, I have lots of favorites, but I think Ji Yeon(sp?) would have to be near the top of the list. Lots of episodes have made me yell out loud (mind you I live alone) "Holy S--T!" but that one was a biggie when you figure out the flashback/flash-forward combo.

Jen Chaney: "Ji-Yeon" is wonderful, totally agree. Also very high up there: "The Constant."

Hulu: Hulu links directly to the ABC site--no luck viewing Lost through there.

Jen Chaney: Oh, man. Bummer. Liz and I will investigate and see if we can figure out what's up. Thanks.

Least Favorite is Easy: For me it is the Bai Ling episode also. I had no idea Jack's tattoos were such a mystery that needed explaining as opposed to, say, the smoke monster.

You should a bracket of least favorite episodes.

Jen Chaney: Well, Jack's tattoos probably seemed like a great idea when the writers didn't have an end date and realized they needed some sort of storyline to fill 43 minutes of primetime television.

Personally, I like to pretend that episode never happened.

ABC did a bracket of favorite episodes not too long ago. But trust me, we'll do something -- maybe even more than one something -- to commemorate our favorite Lost moments. I'd like to survey everyone on the Lost moment that made them the weepiest. That's a tough call for me. Charlie's death might be up there. The Des/Penny phone call. Oh, and when Vincent swims after the raft in season one, a moment we'll be recapping in the next couple of weeks...

NW DC: Sadly I'm a little off with the recap (I'm currently on season four with my lost newbie roommate) but a few thoughts from the chats, and thanks so much for posting the Comic Con videos.

First I really am having a hard time being convinced that Locke is really possessed by the Man In Black from day one. If that were true then he never would've experienced any sort of the inner conflict and struggles with the island that he has. And why would he waste his time arguing with Jack so much early on? Wouldn't he have bigger people (ie Jacob) to deal with?

As for Walt, I also miss him (though I'm so glad to have gotten past hearing WAAALLLTTTTT every two minutes), do we have any word one way or the other about him returning?

And in response to someone's question about Karl, I've now seen him three times in Spring Awakening (once in NY and twice here) and he's amazing. Great voice and a really different character. I've had a few sightings of him around town, as have a few of my friends. I think the cast is in town for another week so look around the Foggy Bottom area! Also go see the show, it's amazing!

Jen Chaney: Again, I share your hard time understanding all this Man in Black business. I'm reserving judgment until we get through more of the recap.

And I don't remember hearing any confirmation that Malcolm David Kelley will return. If the show will revisit events from 2004, it would be hard to see how he could since, as Liz already mentioned, he is much older now.

Thanks for the "Spring Awakening" info, too. If you run into him again, tell him we said hi!

Vienna, Va.: "I hope they don't get all David Chase on us."

I think they've explicitly said they won't go to black on us, and that it would be wrong not to fully resolve things.

Some people fear they'll leave it unresolved in order to finish it with a movie. But really, they could have a final resolution this season and still make about a dozen movies covering any number of time periods (ancient Egypt, Black Rock period, Dharma period, post-Dharma, etc.).

And speaking of past time periods, I wonder if Rousseau's team was brought to the island by Jacob, or happened upon it by accident. I guess at this point it's fairly certain that anyone who arrives on the island was deliberately brought there.

Jen Chaney: Great question about Rousseau. I tend to agree, I'm not sure anyone shows up on the island purely by accident.

And to your earlier point, I don't think the writers will go David Chase on us either, at least not in such a similarly ambiguous way.

But Damon and Carlton have said that, not unlike Mr. Chase, they plan to go into hiding after the final episode airs. They won't necessarily be taking tons of press questions about what the ending means, because they want it to speak for itself and let all of the fans interpret it in their own ways.

Weepiest: I didn't get choked up when Charlie died (okay called me cold hearted) but did when Hurley had to tell Claire that Charlie died. I totally cried!

Jen Chaney: Oh yeah, that Hurley moment was another tear-jerker, for sure.

Hurley Fan: Looking at the ComicCon videos made me wonder if there is any chance that ABC or someone else will issue a Mememto-style linear time/chronological order rendering of the series? I recognize a reboot could mess that up (two events happening at the same time, depending on timeline), but I still think it would be cool.

Jen Chaney: Well, ABC has already done a timeline. And Lostpedia has a very helpful one, too. We also may put together something ourselves, so stay tuned.

With that said, I think it's time to sign off since we're 15 minutes overtime. Please join us again next week at 3, when we'll discuss three more season one episodes: "Do No Harm," "The Greater Good" and "Born to Run." Thanks, everyone.

Editor's Note: moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity