Dan Steinberg
Dan Steinberg (The Washington Post)

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Dan Steinberg
D.C. Sports Bogger
Tuesday, August 11, 2009; 11:30 AM

D.C. Sports Bogger Dan Steinberg will be online Tuesday, Aug. 11, at 11:30 a.m. ET to discuss the Nats, the Redskins, D.C. United, the Capitals and the latest sports news and your questions and comments about his latest bog posts.

Dan Steinberg: Hello peoples. Apologies for the random start time of 11:22. I think some places this was promoted at 11:00, and some place at 11:30, so 11:22 seemed appropriate.

Anyhow, I'm not at Redskins Park today, and am instead at the office, looking forward to (I think) an upcoming phone call with Joey T. Also, I can tell you that Darrell Green thinks the Skins have a home-field-advantage-in-the-playoffs type of team. And that Tommy John's name will be on our Web site a lot this week. Have at it.

Dan Steinberg: Wait, one more thing. Michael Rosenwald is doing an upcoming chat about 106.7 The Fan vs. ESPN 980, which make him at least the third Post staffer to do a chat focused largely on that, after me and Paul Farhi. I'm not sure I share his basic scorn for the medium. In fact, I don't. I think it's great. So there.

Chevy Chase, Washington, D.C.: Will the loss of Zimmermann impact the offer for Strasburg?

washingtonpost.com: Zimmermann Faces Surgery on His Elbow (Washington Post, Aug. 11)

Dan Steinberg: I still think this is just us trying to keep ourselves occupied in the final week. I saw online comments in the first few hours last night in which people argued this meant Strasburg's price went up, and in which people argued this meant the Lerners' offer went down. Ignore, ignore, ignore. The Nats will pay him a lot of money and he will join the team.

Alexandria, Va.: How come punters move between teams so much? Is it because there's a big pool of them and they're all pretty much equal? If so, why can't the Redskins get and keep one?

washingtonpost.com: Hunter Smith May Be the Answer to the Redskins' Decade-Long Punting Woes(Washington Post, August 7)

Dan Steinberg: I think it's easy for coaches to get frustrated and look for quick fixes at that position, and the interplay between punter and teammates doesn't usually require weeks to sort out. It's easier to learn this play--Kick it as far as you can--than an entire playbook.

That said, there were some issues with holding last year, which Danny Smith has suggested resulted from the mid-season punter change, and of course, Hunter Smith is the most accurate holder in NFL history.

Also, if you look at the fate of last year's trio of Skins punters, it's possible they just had bad ones. Plackemeier is unemployed. Frost is unemployed. And Brooks is in a competition in Green Bay, which previously got rid of the dreadful Frost. Smith, at least, will not be dreadful.

S. Field, Va.: Do you think that Devin Thomas and the Field are the same person? I've never seen them in the same place at the same time before.

Dan Steinberg: Haha, though I think "Malcolm Kelly" might have been better. Thomas actually played a good bit last year, especially on special teams.

Or maybe "Devin Thomas" and "end zone" would have been good.

Fairfax, Va.: With the sorry state of the Redskins offensive line, I'm thinking Ray Brown might get a call soon from Vinny. Anyways, is Chad Rinehart's swaggar phenomenal or just regular?

Dan Steinberg: He said "a little more swagger," to set the record straight. So he's not talking phenomenal swag by any means. Honestly, he said he had swwagger with the least amount of swagger anyone's ever announced their swagger.

Ray Brown is a great guy and a great quote, but the more likely great guy/great quote would seem to be Pete Kendall. J Reid really made Kendall's case last week, huh? Though to be fair, if your problem was that last year's line wasn't that great and there really haven't been too many changes, I'm not sure the solution is to add another guy back from last year's line. I mean, let's just go and trade for Jansen while we're at it.

Union Station, Washington, D.C.: So, do the Nats sign Strasburg or will it become the biggest "Nationals Fail" of the year? With an eight-game winning streak, I'm hoping we can retire "Nats Fail" for the year, but a Strasburg non-signing would be a killer.

Dan Steinberg: I said 85 percent last week, in honor of Lasto Milledge, and I'll stick with that. I think he signs. Crow was willing to press the "lose-lose" button a year ago, but it takes a special breed to opt for "lose-lose" when millions of dollars of "win-win" are sitting right there in a bucket.

But yeah, there's nothing else that would come close to that from a Fail perspective. I guess Smiley's/Frowney's Age would be closest, but that predated the Fail routine.

The year so far: The Nationals have now won eight straight. As a reward for your amazingly accurate foresight, here's a book for you: Edward Trencom's Nose: A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue, and Cheese

washingtonpost.com: Giles Milton: Edward Trencom's Nose: A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue and Cheese (Amazon.com)

Dan Steinberg: Which was my amazingly accurate foresight? I don't remember. The thing is, there are so many media in which we spout off now, that we all say everything at some point or another. I know at various points I said the Nats would get hot as soon as they fired Acta, that the Nats would have one winning streak of (I think) at least six games, and that the Nats wouldn't come close to challenging 120 losses. All of those seem ok enough, but I'm pretty sure I've said many equally loony things.

St. Louis, Mo.: Shouldn't you be defending the Mottrams in their battle vs. the Cooleys as a fellow (real) blogger?

washingtonpost.com: Cooleys vs. Mottrams Throw-Off, Part I (Mr. Irrelevant, Aug. 6)

Dan Steinberg: I was just joking. My point was that neither video is particularly convincing as a piece of documentary evidence, owing to the fact that you can't really tell who's standing where when they throw the ball. I think had either team lost, they'd be entitled to want an in-person throw-off, which should also make for great Comcast SportsyNet television.

So, for the record, I completely believe that both sides accurately presented their throws and the Mottrams won, but I also believe an in-person contest is required.

Alexandria, Va.: Thoughts on changing Red Porch to Plush Porch?

Nyjer had his own section in Pittsburgh and he should feel just as welcome here.

Dan Steinberg: Nah man, this is all about getting your red on, not getting your plush on. You can't meddle with what has been a successful marketing campaign around the color that has united sports fans in this city ever since, oh, April 2008.

Anyhow, "Club Plush" sounds much better to me. Kind of like "Club Scarlet" for the Caps, but even seedier, if that's possible. He does need a section.

Los Angeles: Much of the recent hoopla regarding steroid use by Baseball players appears to ignore the fact that Baseball was never pure in terms of players using/abusing substances affecting performance. Chewing tobacco (a powerful autonomic and hemodynamic stimulus), alcohol and "pain killers" are just a few drug categories that permeated baseball forever, including today.

It's naive or disingenuous to assume past players' performances and records they achieved weren't affected by these substances. And this is not to mention the ill effects of baseball's past racial discrimination practices which kept many otherwise deserving players off the field and out of the record books. Did sports writers/reporters and baseball's Hall of Fame just discover the asterisk?

Dan Steinberg: Wait, you left out caffeine. And vitamin C. Ballplayers have been drinking orange juice for decades, and that prevents their gums from rotting and their teeth from falling out at the plate, which would distract them from the pursuit of statistical records.

Look, I'm no purist, and I have no spreadsheet-driven desire to protect the sacred numbers of baseball's past, but I think there's a bit of a difference between the explosion of roid-filled power numbers from the 90s and powerful hemodynamic stimuli.

Your point about racial discrimination is solid, though you could hardly keep a white player out on the grounds that he never competed against the best black players. Or, I guess you could, but it wouldn't make much sense, any more than keeping out black players who hadn't competed against the best white players would.

Like Bill James, I would think eventually a pretty sizable chunk of the steroid crew will get into the Hall, as soon as enough time passes that the outrage dims a bit. I also agree wholeheartedly with anyone who's ever argued that writers should not be in charge of deciding such honors, and should get the heck out of the news-making business, stat.

Newark, Del.: Steinz,

How about Bodreau's autobio shooting to No. 1 on Amazon's hockey book list?

Those can't all be people in Hershey buying it, right?

washingtonpost.com: Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer, by Bruce Boudreau (Amazon.com)

Dan Steinberg: I don't think it takes that many buyers, huh? Yesterday Mike Tunison, the former WaPo scribe and sports blogger, shot way up the Amazon lists on the strength of a gushing promo from Deadspin. I think if everyone reading this chat (and I know how many of you are out there) immediately went and bought the previously mentioned book about cheese, it would probably go to Top 5 on Amazon's cheese book list.

That said, I do want to read the book. Has any wise blogger posted copious excerpts yet?

Sports Talk Update: Which channel are you listening to more now? And which channel does your kid respond better to? Shouldn't that be a better barometer? Does the horrible jingle help put the kid to sleep?

Dan Steinberg: Ida hates sports talk. Just hates it. So she listens to neither.

I'm not sure I want to anger either side by answering this question honestly. I will say that when 980 is national, I will never listen to it over local stuff on 106.7. I also haven't been listening to much Larry Michael, since I get plenty of promotional emails from the Redskins as it is, so I've been on the Junkies side in the AM.

Manassas, Va.: Hey Dan,

Speaking of Sports Radio, when will the Nationals get off AM and be put on FM?! Many of us Nats fans, can't get 1500 AM. Not even at night!

Dan Steinberg: I'd love to see a map of 1500's range. I guess it's probably out there. I get it so clearly at night, both in D.C. and now in Silver Spring. But I guess as great as it is north-south, it's equally shaky east-west, which is why so many Caps fans from your parts were disappointed when the red rockers re-upped with Bonneville/1500.

I guess the Nats' rights will be coming up again soon, and you'd think 106.7 would be in play.

Palisades, Washington, D.C.: Now that the Nationals are playing like a decent team, is there any way to convince the Lerners or whoever is in charge to stop poaching other team's traditions -- Sweet Caroline is the most glaring example. Why cant' we get some D.C. talent, like a Henry Rollins spoken word rally speech?

Dan Steinberg: Some Nats fans, even the especially diehard kind, really like Sweet Caroline. It is sort of catchy-ish. But it should absolutely be banned immediately, without question.

That said, no, there's no way to convince them to do this. Any more than you could convince them never to sell Red Sox shirts when Boston visits. You just have to bring along your ipod and put in the Bad Brains whenever this comes on.

D.C. United still does the best job of remaining a uniquely D.C. team, in my opinion. The Redskins have plenty of strong D.C. elements, too.

Washington, D.C.: Gripe not a question: It bugs me the way the Nationals announcer at the game does a huge drawn out bombastic player introduction. Is it really that big of a deal that he has to scream: "Now batting....ahl-BERTO guhnZAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLEEZZZ!!" when there's nobody on base in the third inning? Why does he always have to do the overblown "LETS GET READY TO RUUUMMMMBBBBBLEEEE" imitation for EVERY stinkin' player.

OK, I feel better now.

Dan Steinberg: You're not the only person who feels this way. People have also made the same complaint about the Caps announcer Wes Johnson, who has tons of fans and tons of detractors. I guess in general, I side with the less noise is better people, because you want to be able to ramp up to some higher volume when it's really needed.

On the other hand, maybe it gets boring doing this day after day.

Manassas, Va.: How many wins do the Nats need to add to this streak to make the season a success?

I would say that they have already proved firing Acta to be a success.

Dan Steinberg: To make the season a success? I think before the year, you would have said maybe 72-90 would be a success? A more than 10 game improvement? That's a .444 winning percentage, and I don't see why the goals would have changed, just because they displayed the ability to be truly terrible for a while.

Based on some quick match, the Nats would have to win about 17 or 18 more in a row to get on a 72-win pace.

That said, avoiding 100 losses would be a humongous accomplishment, as it were, based on how things started. Though bye-bye Bryce Harper, I'm guessing, in that scenario.

And yeah, the Acta thing was a necessity, and seems to have demonstrated that there is still space in baseball for weirdly emotional results to trump statistical predictions.

Arlington, Va.: Do you think Kevin Payne's open letter to all D.C. fans to show those guys in Seattle that we are better than them will help put more fans at the Open Cup final?

Dan Steinberg: I think there will be more fans this year than there were last year. I don't think too many of them will be there because of the newspaper ad/web site/blog ads. But we do thank them for the advertising money, and it'd be nice to see a D.C.-Seattle battle for MLS fan supremacy. I guess conventional wisdom argues that Seattle is already ahead, which is weird to think about.

1500 AM: I can't get it very well at the stadium! That stinks - it starts off the evening OK but fades, fades, fades as the game progresses.

Dan Steinberg: Wow, I didn't know that. Strange. Wonder how well 980 does at FedEx Field. I've definitely had trouble picking it up during my drive home after 4 pm or night games.

Washington, D.C.: The eight-game streak obscures the fact that the Nats are still a bad team. Not a mediocre team, not a team that is now putting the pieces together - a bad team.

The Lerners cannot sit back and think that this team is good, now. Rizzo cannot look at these players and overestimate their abilities.

I'm nervous about false hope.

Dan Steinberg: I've seen this sentiment, as well. For as much as the Nats' win total lagged behind their statistically expected win total all season, the statistically expected win total was always bad.

I just haven't seen much to indicate that the Nats suddenly think they're done rebuilding. Their rhetoric has always outstripped the thoughts of the most grounded fans, but I haven't seen the rhetoric ramped up any over the win streak. As of this writing, they're on pace for 100 losses. I think everyone knows that means you're bad.

D.C. tradition: How about Chuck Brown's "Bustin' Loose"? That's pretty catchy and soooo D.C. traditional.

Dan Steinberg: True. They do play it sometimes, don't they?

Nats 2010 Playoffs: Would you agree that the Lerner/Kasten Plan is finally right on track? Starting with the .500 post All-Star Game team we have now, subtract the salaries for Nick Johnson/Dmitri Young/Joe Beimel/Wily Mo Pena/Austin Kearns/Ronnie Belliard ($26 mil.), add a free agent second baseman ($5 mil.) plus two relievers ($4 mil.), and the Nats are suddenly playoff contenders while cutting payroll.

Dan Steinberg: Are they really playoff contenders in the NL East with a free agent 2B and two relievers? I don't think I'm with you on that one. You don't think the Nats will play over .500 ball for the rest of the season, do you? If you do, you have more faith than I do.

"The Plan" has always always always been about starting pitching. Through no fault of their own, the one star who emerged from the young arms this year is now on the shelf for 18 months. (Lannan had already sort of emerged.) There are, indeed, tons of other choices among the young arms, but are any of them sure bets? Strasburg, Martin, Martis, Mock, Balester, Stammen.....a lot of maybes. That's not to say they couldn't turn into "hell yesses," but they haven't yet, and that's what The Plan was about. So I'm gonna wait a while before the right track stuff.

Reston, Va.: Dan,

Went to the Real Madrid/DC United game. Which stadium shows more rust, FedEx or RFK? Games start there soon, and there seems to be a lot of cosmetic work to do. Or is Snyder going to link up the stadium to Six Flags as a new death defying adventure?

Though you probably can't answer that question from Redskins Park without getting kicked out.

washingtonpost.com: Real Madrid Tops D.C. United, 3-0, in Exhibition Washington Post, August 9)

Dan Steinberg: What sort of rust? Literal rust?

FedEx stinks, though only part of that is on Snyder's watch. He didn't choose the location, and he didn't choose the design. Sure, he hasn't gone out of his way to make it any better, but there were other parties behind this one.

RFK at least has charm in its decriptitude. FedEx has none.

Upperville, Va.: But the real throw down (sportstalk centered) is the new Chad and Lavar show vs. The Sports Reporters. Or Steve Czaben vs. Chad Dukes on the Yucks-O-Meter.

Which way do you lean?

Dan Steinberg: See, I like both Chad and Czabe, and want them both to plug my blog on the air, so I don't see the benefit of choosing. I have a lot of 5 pm to 6 pm drives home from Redskins Park, and I'm not just flipflopping when I say that I go back and forth based on the topic.

I know calls are a part of the medium, but I'm more likely to move on when either show is taking calls, just because you sometimes get the sense that there's a reason some of us are radio professionals and some of us are not.

Will There Be Equal Treatment?: In an earlier chat you wrote that The Post had six reporters at Redskins training camp and because of that it was actually difficult to find a story angle that wasn't already being covered by at least one of your colleagues. Does this mean we can expect the sports desk to assign six reporters to the Capitals and/or Wizards training camps? If the answer is no, why not? Does The Post publish a sports section or a football section?

Dan Steinberg: Will there be six reporters at Wizards or Capitals training camp? No, there will not. Some reasons:

1) Our summer interns are gone by then

2) Last week the nine most read (I think) stories on our site were all about the Redskins

3) We have a responsibility to cover the sports news in D.C., but we also have a responsibility to satisfy our customers, and our customers overwhelmingly tell us that they care more about the Redskins than anything else

4) An NFL training camp has 90-some players, which means 90-some stories, and dozens of positional/roster battles. There's quite simply more to write about

I know it's fun to make fun of our Redskins obsession--I do it all the time. But we're publishing more words about the Caps/Wiz than ever before on the blogs, and the Caps will without a doubt have more reporters at camp this year than ever before. It'll all work out.

Washington, D.C.: I'm following Darrell on Twitter ... I'm already hooked on him -- he's always been one of my heroes. I hope he keeps it up and gives us the random thoughts running inside his head. Do you think he'll keep it up?

washingtonpost.com: D.C. Sports Bog: Darrell Green on Twitter, Skins Fans and Canton (Washington Post, Aug. 11)

Dan Steinberg: He said he would. He said he loves it.

I think he'll have plenty to write about all fall. Once it gets to be May, he'll have the same issue all the rest of us do, but he probably has a more interesting life than, say, me.

That said, he's not gonna want to make a habit of writing about his battle to not take the dog out for a walk, right?

Fairfax, Va.: Catch the Brendan Haywood show? I thought it was pretty ok. I'd listen again.

washingtonpost.com: D.C. Sports Bog: Brendan Haywood Discusses His Sports Talk Show Washington Post, Aug. 5)

Dan Steinberg: I heard bits and pieces. He's very comfortable on a mic. I actually would have liked less NBA talk, just to see his comfort zone in other sports. We've also heard him talk about the Wizards and their future so many times, and there's really only so much to say.

But I think he could definitely have a future in media, on a local level if nothing else. Plus, he's legitimately funny.

Fairfax, Va.: Was it weird to have Redskins fans ask you for your autograph at Fan Appreciation day? Were they confusing you with Mike Wise?

Dan Steinberg: I think there were maybe three people who asked me. And one just asked me because he could tell I was jealous that Matt Terl was signing. So I wasn't exactly hounded.

I've never understood asking pro athletes for their autographs, so I REALLY don't understand asking pro bloggers. But whatever, it's just an excuse to make small talk for a couple seconds, so it works out.

The more interesting question: I've been asked probably 10 or 20 times to pose for photos with readers. Now what in the world do you do with a photo of yourself posing with the D.C. Sports Bogger? Show it to your parents? To your boss? To your girlfriend?

Baltimore, Md.: Do you think the Redskins will consider Micheal Vick for the quarterback position?

Dan Steinberg: Vick's agent this morning said there was "no chance." It's pretty hard to circle back from "no chance" without forever torching your credibility. So, oddly, strangely, against all previous experience, I'll say no, there's no chance.

Washington, D.C., in the 35332: Dan

How would you rank the popularity of the big four teams in D.C., and give me some kind of numerical break down or something? Also, am I the only one who sees the Redskins stock dropping in this town like a rock this year?

As the Caps can keep this winning thing going and the Nationals have begun to figure it out, the less popular Dan in D.C. sports needs to get his act together and be a decent owner or else that team is riding off into the sunset.

Dan Steinberg: Ok, with 100 meaning "full-body tattoo of the team photo" and 0 meaning "nope, never heard of the Natinals, why?" I'll do it like this

Redskins: 82

Capitals: 56

Wizards: 34

Nationals: 33

Jeez, I don't know actually. That's a tough question. The Nats attendance (total bodies) would crush the Wizards in a year. Their TV ratings are obviously the worst, but their blog ratings (on our site) are trending up.

I don't sense the stock dropping thing. I sense frustration, sure, but if it's a Sunday afternoon and the Skins are on, you know the streets are a little bit emptier. That's the only team in town that can remotely make such a boast. That's partly the NFL, but it's also partly the Redskins.

Washington, D.C.: OK, now that we've had a full summer to reflect, to take a step back, etc.-

What the heck happened to the Caps in Game 7?

Yeah I know Green was playing injured and should never have been out there, but has any coach or player said to you, "We played like a bunch of stiffs because- " ?

And yeah, I know it's whole new season now and I can handle a loss, but this was a pathetic excuse of a game (actually can't call it a game, twas over by end of first period.)

Dan Steinberg: I've basically talked to no players since May, and my brief interactions with Bruce Boudreau weren't really about hockey.

I think the Penguins were better. They had demonstrated that for six games. Eventually, the dam was going to break, and it did, spectacularly.

Did the Caps fail to show up? Sure. But if you're a Penguins fan, do you think back on Game 7 of that series and say, "Jeez, what the heck happened to the Caps?" Not really. You think "We had the best team in the NHL, and a very fine but severely flawed opponent managed to stick with us for six games before we finally displayed our superior class."

Also, Varly got spooked. Not sure why then, after it hadn't happened in plenty of high-pressure situations before, but he just wasn't there that game. He really looked like a little kid when a few of us caught up with him after that game.

Yorktown Heights, N.Y.: In Cindy Boren's chat yesterday, someone asked whether she thought Snyder, in virtually ignoring the offensive line in the offseason, was trying to set Campbell up to fail. Cindy answered that she thought it's more of a matter of having a lot of confidence in Bugel.

Seriously, what is the deal with ignoring the offensive line? It sounds like they don't anticipate having Randy Thomas for a full season ... why aren't they doing anything? Why didn't they draft anyone? No one who knows anything in the league seems to think the skins will get anywhere close to the Super Bowl with the line we have. Bugel isn't a magician. What do Snyder and Cerrato know that we don't?

Dan Steinberg: I think there are easier ways to set Jason Campbell up to fail than deliberately fudging with your personnel. I mean, why not just sign a boatload of out-of-position and-or injury-or-attitude-addled wide receivers? Ok, bad question.

No, seriously, I do not engage in conspiracy theories like this. I think Daniel Snyder has his faults, great bagfuls of them, but I do think he wants to win. Seeing his celebration in person after the Eagles win last year, it's just impossible to imagine him sabotaging his team's chances merely to remove one player from the equation.

So, why? Who knows? Faith that the third-round pick from '08 will justify the wisdom of the men who made that pick? A similar faith in what they saw in Mike Williams and Bridges? A desire not to be pressured into a certain move by fans and writers? A stubborn belief that injuries can indeed be avoided, and that the line was pretty good pre-injuries last year? Or maybe just a belief that even a spotty o line can be carried along by a way-above-average defense?

I'm not sure. And I definitely don't want to suggest that those guys are too smart to be questioned. But you have to figure that they can see much of what we can see, and that blindness was not the reason for them not making more moves.

Roanoke, Va.: I disagree about Wes Johnson. I think he definitely helps give the Verizon Center that chaotic and noisy atmosphere during games.

I can't think of anything more exciting than hearing him announce Alexander Ovechkin's name (except when Rex Barney used to introduce Cal Ripken Jr.)

Dan Steinberg: I just said some people don't like the volume. I don't think that was going out on a limb. Especially the "UNLEASH THE FURYYYYYYYYYY!" stuff....I know there were complaints.

Virginia: Here's why "Redskins Radio" - both flavors - will ultimately fail.

I agree (wholeheartedly) that Redskins football is the Big Kahuna and the Grand Poobah of D.C. sports. However ...

If the sports stations are really Redskins stations and not really even NFL stations, then they are little more than a niche radio station. Yes, there's lots of ears for the Redskins - but I doubt that there's enough for two stations worth of ad dollars. And while they are covering the Skins ad infinitum, they are driving away Nats fans, Wizards fans, Caps fans, Hokies/Terps/Hoyas fans, etc.

No sports talker in D.C. will truly be successful until they can find on-air people that are entertaining and can talk competently about the major sports in the area - and thus, be able to attract a broad enough base of listeners.

Dan Steinberg: Eh, I'm unconvinced. Aren't you better off driving away the (relatively smaller number of) Nats fans than having a wavering core of Redskins fans who don't really care to listen to Nats talk?

Sure, these are niche stations, but local sports is a niche topic in D.C., and you can do well with a niche if you cover the hell out of it, especially if it's not too expensive to do so.

Chesapeake Beach, Md.: 'Celebrity' sites exist throughout the entertainment industry, but in general, the 'celebrity' side of sports personalities has remained somewhat private. J-Lo can't buy a pair of socks without a hundred paparazzi, but most NFL players could probably walk into a store and no one would know who they were.

Do you think the Sports Bog could be the start of the 'celebrity sports media' reporting on all the day-to-day bits of an athlete's life?

Dan Steinberg: Wow, I think that's certainly started, but not because of the Sports Bog. If you asked "do you think the Sports Bog could be the start of the "hairstyle sports media" reporting on all the day-to-day haircuts and shaves of an athlete's life," maybe I'd agree.

I think TMZ and Deadspin and The Big Lead and the like do a pretty fine job on reporting what athletes do on their spare time, or at least the interesting parts. Maybe not the sock buying part, but certainly the rapping in the KFC drive thru part.

No Way: The Wizards couldn't sell out playoff games against the Cavs (17,000), meaning it's neither a Wizards town or a basketball town. If the Natinals were good, they'd be packed (41,000).

The Caps get close to capacity often, but are still by no means a tough ticket to get. And their TV household numbers are terrible, albeit high relative to what they were. You said it yourself, they are merely half of Philly and Pittsburgh.

For perspective, Philly is a comparable size market, but Pittsburgh's DMA is far, far smaller

Dan Steinberg: I don't disagree with much that's here, but I'm not sure what the "No Way" refers to. The Wizards-Cavs games were lame when the Wiz were an injured shell of themselves, but even last year, the wretched Wiz outdrew the Nats on TV, right?

Look, if the Nats get good, they will be massively popular, but they're not good right now, and they're sure not massively popular.

Hemodynamic Stimulus: What a great name for a band!

Dan Steinberg: And with that.....I have to go find something else to do with myself. Call Joe Theismann! Ask whether the Redskins will finish 12-4 or 13-3!

See you next week.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity