» This Story:Read +|Talk +| Comments

The Live Fix

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Chris Cillizza
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, August 14, 2009; 11:00 AM

Every Friday, The Fix goes live, as Chris Cillizza discussed the latest news about Congress, the Obama administration, upcoming elections and all the latest political news.

This Story

Today's: Fix: Polling the Town Halls.

Chris Cillizza: Welcome to the weekly Live Fix chat!

Our motto: It's not Gene Weingarten or Carolyn Hax but it's not bad!

I want to extend a special thank you to the folks joining us live on this chat as we have LOTS of competition this morning: Michael Vick holds his first press conference as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles right now and Arlen Specter and Joe Sestak face off in a debate of sorts at Netroots Nation in Pittsburgh.

For those who care, we are at unofficial Fix Live chat sponsor Buzz bakery. Coffee choice for the morning: medium hazelnut latte. Music choice: Low End Theory by Tribe Called Quest.

Let's get to it.

"Low-End Theory": Nice try, but "Sex Packets" by the Digital Underground edges it out. A rap concept album that is funny, clever, and flat-out groovy.

Chris Cillizza: Also a GREAT album.

Other nominees for best rap albums of the 1990s from Fix readers: The Chronic, Doggystyle and Jazzamatazz.

Also, odd Digital Underground fact: Tupac was in DU. Weird.

Dallas, Tex.: Do you think the town hall outbursts is the work of political operatives or is this genuine "outrage"? Republicans know how to run interference. Is there an indication that the GOP has had a hand in creating or encouraging it?

Chris Cillizza: Hello Dallas! (Home of Fix in laws). Stop by the Hulen mall for me!

The debate over whether these outbursts are genuine outrage or the work of political operatives in Washington has dominated the media coverage over the last week.

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. There's no question that some DC-based conservative groups have helped organize protests, but, if you believe polling, there is also evidence of significant discontent among the general public toward the Obama Administration's attempt to reform the health care system.

I wrote on the polling on town halls this morning in Morning Fix -- Rocci, the crack editor of this chat, can put the link in after this answer.

Richmond, Va.: I don't have an issue with having a debate on health care....it needs to happen. But the tone and signs brought to these townhalls should concern everyone. The guy rounded up by the secert service with a sign saying "death to obama" clearly indicates that the anger is not about healthcare reform....

Chris Cillizza: Agreed.

It's hard at times to sort through the people who are legitimately upset with the way health care is being overhauled and those who simply flock to any event where they know there will be cameras in order to get their 15 minutes of fame.

For those who are genuinely upset about the health care system, the people painting swastikas on offices, shouting down supporters of health care etc. hurts their case.

Look at the USA Today/Gallup poll released yesterday. A majority of Americans said protesting loudly at town halls was part of democracy but when asked about members of Congress being booed or protesters shouting down supporters of health care reform, people were far more likely to say those tactics were an "abuse of democracy".

it's a fine line...

SW Nebraska: Have the wackos at the town hall meetings succeeded in killing any health-care reform or will the democratic legislators be more resolved by the nuttiness to pass something? Can you put democratic legislators and resolve in the same sentence?

Chris Cillizza: Well, as I said above, differentiating the so-called "wackos" (your words) from people who are simply upset about the Obama Administration's handling of health care reform is VERY difficult.

It remains to be seen what these protests will mean to the broader health care debate when Congress returns after Labor Day.

Several new polls suggest that the American people are paying VERY close attention to the town halls, which means that it is likely to have some impact on the health care debate.

What impact that it is tough to predict at the moment. It's only August 14 after all.

Anonymous: Hi, Chris

Will sucking up help here?: you are my favorite political chatter, and go Catholic! (As a Xavier fan, I won't root for the Hoyas, but at least they are both Jesuit schools.)

This is more of a comment than a question:

I am no fan of the rude and boorish techniques used at these town hall meetings in which protesters make it impossible for the member of Congress to speak his/her piece on health care. They ruin their case.

But I think members of the media and Democrats protest too much.

As an example, members of what I consider the fringe group code Pink drowned out President Bush's July 4th speech at Monticello last year, calling him a war criminal, and Hitler, among other things. The occasion? He was there to congratulate the newly-sworn-in citizens at Jefferson's home on Independence Day.

That was not unique. Nor can many conservative speakers present their case at college campuses--if they are allowed to speak at all.

I heard no complaints from Democratic leaders about how outrageous these incidents were.

Why weren't the Democrats outraged when those equally rude events took place? The hypocrisy cuts both ways.

(The Cincinnati Enquirer today ran an editorial wondering where the members of the area's House delegation, three Republicans and one Democrat, and they all said they were not going to hold town meetings. Here is the link: Health care and turbulence (Cincinnati.com, Aug. 14).

Skeptics would call this evidence of a "liberal media." I don't go that far, but it makes one wonder.

Chris Cillizza: Sucking up ALWAYS works. Catholic field hockey season begins in one week. I am palpably excited....

Woodbury, N.J.: Comment 1: If there is no public option and that is what will happen, free market insurance companies will have no competition so they will continue to deny coverage and make billions of dollars of profits with HMO CEO's getting multi-million dollar bonuses, not to mention the bonuses the insurance company's give to their staff for every denied claim. Truthfully, they are similar to the banks so they will abuse the consumer except instead of stealing their money, they will steal your chance of living longer - all to make more bucks because profits override the value of a human life.

Comment 2: Trusting Government Care -- The VA medical care and Medicare (except Part D) have no profit-making overheads - Private insurance companies have a 20 percent overhead for advertising, lobbying, etc., so both the VA and Medicare are way more cost effective than private insurers. All professional health- care reports cite these facts.

Comment 3: Trusting Government -- But I completely understand the real fear that government is overextending itself and we all have a fear of big bureaucracy not producing the desired results although the intentions were good.

Conclusion: So there in lies the real problem. Do we trust greedy, selfish, inhuman insurance companies or the real fear of government bureaucracy messing this up? Very healthy people will trust the insurers more since they pose no risk that the insurers will have to pay very much for them and therefore have not been abused (yet) and people with medical conditions would rather trust the government since they have been raked over by the insurers too many times and frankly have no choices left to them.

Chris Cillizza: Another well-thought out commentary on where we are on healtj care...

Indianapolis, Ind.: So does the newpaper newsroom empty out during August because nothing is happening in D.C.?

Chris Cillizza: Um, yes.

Re: The "death panels": Chris, the best piece of journalism I've seen today comes from Amy Sullivan at the Swampland blog on time.com. She points out that the Medicare prescription drug plan supported by President Bush and passed with the votes of a number of Republicans included funding for "counseling the beneficiary with respect to end-of-life issues and care options, and advising the beneficiary regarding advanced care planning."

The only difference between that law and the proposed bill in Congress now is that the first one dealt with terminally ill patients and the current one deals with offering the counseling to people before they become ill. You know, what Sen. Grassley said should happen when he said people had a right to be afraid of the current legislation.

That would be the same Sen. Grassley who voted IN FAVOR of the prescription drug bill, along with 41 other GOP Senators and 204 Republican House members.

No, no political posturing here...

Chris Cillizza: Always interested in good pieces on the halth care debate. Amy Sullivan is a VERY talented reporter. She is also part of a DC journalism power couple -- her significant other is Noam Scheiber of the New Republic. if you don't read his "The Stash" blog on economic policy, start reading it now.

Coffee choice for the morning: medium hazelnut latte: That's not coffee, that's dessert. No wonder we have an obesity crisis in this country. Why doesn't Starbucks have to list its "nutritional" information the way other food places do?

Chris Cillizza: A good point...do NOT tell Mrs. Fix what I had for breakfast.

If she asks, I had one soft boiled egg and white toast.

Wokingham, U.K.: The polls have been kinder to the Republicans of late. But don't they need a clearer alternative economic policy to sustain their gains?

Chris Cillizza: Love the U.K.

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICXdQR1VVhw

On to your question. Republicans would say they have offered any number of alternatives on health care and the economy more broadly but the average person doesn't know about those policies because the media doesn't cover it.

Maybe.

But, Republicans are really depending heavily on the fact that with Democrats in charge of all the levers of power in Washington voters all they have to do is be the loyal opposition.

Prior to the 2008 election, there was a expressed desire -- in both polls and election results -- from the American people for divided government.

Republicans are hoping that sentiment returns in 2010.

Chantilly, Va.: "Chris Cillizza: Agreed.

It's hard at times to sort through the people who are legitimately upset with the way health care is being overhauled and those who simply flock to any event where they know there will be cameras in order to get their 15 minutes of fame. "

I agree completely with this statement ... It's odd, though: the MSM didn't seem to hold this same standard when people were saying "Bush == Hitler" or that he was a "Christian Fascist" or that he ought to be assassinated ("Drop Bush, Not Bombs"). That was considered to be a normal expression of the citizenry's frustration with the war criminal Bush regime. But now it seems almost anyone who dares to question why President Obama wanted to push legislation through before the August recess is treated as a wacko. Hey ... we've given up asking that you be unbiased -- but you could at least be consistent.

Chris Cillizza: Several people expressing this sentiment...thoughts?

Ft. Washington, Md.: Let me enter my votes for Enter the Wu-Tang, Illmatic, Ready to Die and Only Built for Cuban Linx...

Chris Cillizza: Illmatic HAS to be up there. Amazing album.

I was never a huge Biggie Smalls fan but loved Wu-Tang.

Baltimore, Md.: What are the true chances of Linda McMahon laying the smackdown on Rob Simmons and making Chris Dodd hit rock bottom? Does she have any sort of views on anything or just using her celebrity as a jumping off point and thinks she can form views on issues as she goes along?

Chris Cillizza: for those who don't know, I reported this morning that Linda McMahon, the CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment, is seriously considering a run for Senate in 2010 against Chris Dodd.

WWE, which the Fix has followed since our early days growing up in the Nutmeg State (WWE is based in Stamford, CT), would be a very intriguing platform from which to launch a Senate campaign.

On the one hand, the company is worth more than $1 billion and McMahon is apparently willing to spend heavily from her personal fortune to make herself viable.

On the other, WWE has been attacked for years for the violence and lewd nature of their shows -- charges Linda McMahon would have to find a way to rebut if she ran.

Either way, this is the most interesting trial balloon since Lou Holtz running for Florida's 24th district, right?

Boston, Mass.: I question what people think they are answering when saying the town halls make them "more sympathetic" to the protesters. Because while I completely disagree with them and think they are purposely mis-informing themselves, I do feel more sympathetic to them. I spent the last 8 years trying to figure out what had happened to my country. I absolutely understand their confusion and anger and fear at the majority of the country suddenly being opposed to their cherished beliefs.

Chris Cillizza: Interesting perspective.

Cameron, N.C.: A lot of the complaints from protesters being interviewed are not about health-care reform but about how the USA they grew up in is disappearing, slipping away, and they're angry about it. Sorry, my mom was not Donna Reed. I didn't grow up in an upper middle class home. My father worked 2 jobs and into an early grave to support us. One benefit we did have was health insurance. It wasn't gold-plated but it did help. Why are these protesters against health care? Why are old folks on Medicare against government-supported health care for others? I'm sitting here on the confusion couch trying to fathom the answers to these questions. Any help?

Chris Cillizza: And another

Lake Forest, Ill.: Hi Chris -- Thanks for taking questions today. If nothing happens with health care in the next couple of months, what does that mean for Obama and his ability to get anything done the rest of his term? Will he try again to get something passed, or will that be it?

Chris Cillizza: Very good question.

If nothing passes, it's hard to imagine President Obama -- and Congressional Democrats -- wouldn't take a major political hit.

The President has made clear that he is willing to put himself on the line politically to pass meaningful health care reform.

At this point, it appears as though Republicans -- and a few wavering Democrats -- are going to make him make good on that promise.

Obama and his political team understand that he is way out on a limb on passing some sort of health care plan and, I believe, will make sure that there is some sort of bill that he can sign and declare victory on the issue.

Whether or not voters see that legislation as a true overhaul of the system or not (and ho they react either way) is likely to be the linchpin of the 2010 election.

Chris Cillizza: "I've got the skinny legs but I move just like Lou Brock" -- Q-tip.

Hard to argue with that sort of genius in lyrics.

"Several people expressing this sentiment...thoughts? ": Given that the town hall protests seem to be making independents more sympathetic with the protesters, I imagine liberals wish that the media had covered their protests more like they cover the conservative ones instead of being ignored and passed off as wackos who don't like Bush. I think Bush's personal disapproval was in the 30s before the media started accepting that normal rational people didn't like Bush. And for good reasons.

Chris Cillizza: Thanks...keep it coming...

Washington, D.C.: Chris Cillizza: Several people expressing this sentiment...thoughts?

My thought is that no single instance of coverage has convinced of the liberal bias of the MSM.

And ditch the hazelnut lattes -- get a tall skinny cap with sugar-free hazelnut syrup. You'll save mucho calories and fat grams.

Chris Cillizza: Interesting...That is a VERY complicated order. And can sugar free possibly taste good?

Columbia, Mo.: Marquette fan here. Back when the Big East was expanding a friend of mine and I were discussing an all-Jesuit league, Georgetown, Xavier, St. Louis, Marquette, Creighton, BC, several Loyolas etc. His reply "And the league motto will be 'See how they love one another.'"

Chris Cillizza: Aside from being a Marquette fan, that is GENIUS.

Also, has Jerel McNeal graduated yet? That dude has been in college forever. He should win the honorary Jess Settles award.

Washington, D.C.: I work the federal govt. The problem is all the lawyers who work for various executive branch agencies. I don't trust our govt and I dont trust my agency.

Anyone who trusts their govt is naive and overeducated.

The health-care debate can be explained by age, geography and education level.

Overeducated city dwellers who work for NGOs or at Starbucks support Obama and the Dems health-care plans.

Folks in flyover country, those over 50-year-olds know better than to trust their govt. We didn't trust it with Cheney and Bush advisers and we don't trust it know with Obama and his crew!

Chris Cillizza: More thoughts...

Roseland, N.J.: Hey Chris. Shout out from Jersey -- the state so nice you can bribe us twice.

I'm a lifelong Democrat who has been certain for months Gov. Corzine was burnt toast. Now I feel like I'm being teased with false hopes -- polling that has Christie's lead at just five points, an economy that's stabilizing, and some hard questions about what the former attorney general might have had to do to not get fired by Karl Rove.

I still think this race goes blue in November unless Corzine gives ambivalent Dems a reason to vote for him. Are you moving it down the line?

Chris Cillizza: "The state so nice you can bribe us twice."

Are they putting that motto on the license plate? If not, they should.

I think the Christie-Rove ties revealed earlier this week help Corzine at the margins as it reminds voters that Christie is Republican and links him directly to George W. Bush who is not at all popular in the Garden State.

That said, I think Democrats should be wary of overconfidence that the Rove revelations are a game changer in this race.

The election is and will be a referendum on Corzine and his handling of the state's economy. That dynamic has been building for several years and isn't likely to change dramatically as a result of the fact that Christie and Rove discussed politics when the former was still a U.S. Attorney.

Also, the new Democratic poll that shows Corzine down just six is a good news/bad news scenario for Democrats. Yes, Corzine has closed the gap BUT the fact that an incumbent governor is mired in the high 330s on the ballot test is evidence that he is still in real trouble.

Washington, D.C.: On the other, WWE has been attacked for years for the violence and lewd nature of their shows -- charges Linda McMahon would have to find a way to rebut if she ran.

She's running for Congress -- WWE is only a pale imitation of the real wrestling ring.

Chris Cillizza: Heyooo!

Columbia, Md.: As much as I disagree with most of what the town-hall protestors are yelling about, I do have to say that it's a nice change that they are in the room yelling about it and not down the street in a "free speech zone" far from the cameras and the politicians.

Chris Cillizza: Anyone remember the episode of "Arrested Development" when Lindsay Bluth is protesting in a cage miles away from the military base?

Hilarity.

Also, if anyone knows where I can find a used Cornballer shoot me an email.

(Don't get any of the above? Go buy the three seasons of "Arrested Development" at Best Buy. Best show this side of "Friday Night Lights".)

Denver, Colo.: Wait a minute, I live in "flyover territory," and I work for the federal government too. I do trust my agency and the people I work with. Sure there are losers, but do you really think there aren't losers working for every other business (hospital, insurance company, etc) in this country? The government is no different.

Chris Cillizza: A government defender!

Sidenote on Denver: Gorgeous.

Columbus, Ohio:: The guy who tells me not to trust the federal government works for the federal government. Should I trust him when he tells me that it's naive to trust the federal government?

I support health-care reform even though I meet all of his demographic descriptions of a nonsupporter, except I suppose that I am "overeducated." I do not think the original poster has this problem.

Chris Cillizza: Columbus drops the hammer!

Sidenote: I dig that Jim Tressel wears a tie on the sidelines.

Winnipeg, Canada: Just a note from the Great White North: I am old enough (barely) to remember when our country brought in universal health care. We had a similar hue and cry, including a doctor's strike in Saskatchewan that resulted in at least one death. Now it's one of the things that makes most Canadians proud, and in the Greatest Canadian TV show, the guy who won was Keifer Sutherland's grandfather, Tommy Douglas, who brought in Medicare. Just hang in there folks, despite the dire warnings from Mr. Beck and others, you'll never regret it.

Chris Cillizza: Thanks for the perspective from our neighbor to the north.

What the heck ever happened to the Winnipeg Jets? I loved that team. Always played as them in NHL hockey game by EA Sports

Ready to Die beats Low-End Theory: College Dropout wins for the decade...

Tupac was a DU roadie, and the gave him his first break. It wasn't really that weird.

Political question: Why is the CBO estimate of only 4 percent of people being in the public option by 2016 not making it into the debate? This seems like a pretty pertinent fact or talking point that Democrats could use to demonstrate that they won't be moving people to a public plan forcibly. The numbers pushed by the RW comes from the insurance funded Lewin Group.

Thanks Chris

Chris Cillizza: College Dropout wasn't the 1990s was it?

Also, is there a better group jam than "Scenario"? Runner up: "Buddy" by De La Soul.

Abingdon, Md.: "...do NOT tell Mrs. Fix what I had for breakfast..." So I take it she doesn't read your chats -- how sad...

Chris Cillizza: She is too busy preparing the Catholic field hockey team to have their most kick-ass season ever....

Arlington, Va.: Has there every been a movie about girls' field hockey, the American equivalent of Bend It Like Beckham?

Chris Cillizza: No. But there should be. For those who don't know, the sport rocks.

Tentative movie title: "Mrs. Fix: A story of the greatest field hockey coach ever"

Boston, Mass.: Hi Chris! Do you get the feeling that people are more passionate about Micheal Vick returning to professional football than health- care reform? I mean, my Facebook friends are obsessed with posting angry status updates about Vick. Why aren't they spending their time motivating others to get involved in the passage of a health care reform bill?

Chris Cillizza: I think it's in our collective nature to gravitate toward stories like Vick -- easy to understand and easier to have an opinion on -- than to health care because of the complexity of the issue.

We live in a forever-distracted culture -- we are constantly being lead away from things that have a HUGE impact on our future by stories that have almost no impact. (Vick, Jon and Kate Gosselin, TO is Buffalo etc.)

Nature of the beast methinks.

And can sugar free possibly taste good? : Trash the aspertame and go for stevia root. You'll like it.

Chris Cillizza: Stevia root. Sounds shady. or like a band in the mid 1990s.

Henderson, Nev.: I read yesterday about Harry Reid calling the town hall protesters 'evil mongers.' How is that playing in Nevada and what is the latest on the race?

Chris Cillizza: Henderson! I have been there. Good times.

Reid's numbers in Nevada are not particularly good. The problem for Republicans is that they lack any credible challenger to the incumbent at the moment and we all know that you can't beat someone with no one.

Rep. Dean Heller was clearly Republicans strongest candidate but he decided against running earlier this week, a decision due at least in part to his fears about the reverberations from Sen. John Ensign's admission of an extramarital affair.

Some Republicans in the state are trying to get state party chair Sue Lowden into the race and released a poll that shows she would be competitive with Reid. Lowden has significant personal wealth too, which could make her more viable.

Reid is a very savvy pol who won't go quietly into that good night no matter who Republicans put forward. Still, given his numbers this is likely to be a competitive race if Republicans can find someone who is remotely credible.

Don't -- go for stevia root.: Stevia is an herb and tastes like one. A sweet one, yes, but an herb. Agave nectar is where it's at these days.

Chris Cillizza: Agave. That is the preferred sweetener of the Fix mother-in -law who has good taste in everything....

Starbucks: Actually, Starbucks DOEs have lots of nutrional info on its website, for all its drinks and food items as well. Calories, fat, you name it. I use it all the time. (Starbucks also gives you a lot of options for its drinks -- skim milk, sugar-free syrups, etc.)

Yes, I'm an addict. But my fancy venti coffee this morning had fewer calories than a can of Coke.

Chris Cillizza: I am coming back around on Starbucks...but I am also a big fan of supporting local business...

Washington, D.C.: Just back from a road trip through the "real America." Upon learning that I am from Washington, D.C., and didn't vote for Obama (although I am now supportive of his efforts), person after person unloaded their "concerns" on me. Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any specifics about what had happened to the economy and why or what is being tried to fix it or why jobs are a lagging indicator, nor do they seem to know any specifics about proposed health care legislation. There is just a free floating anxiety, no doubt exacerbated by some of the media and, so far, at least, unsuccessfully addressed by congressional representatives and the President.

Chris Cillizza: "free floating anxiety" is a good way to describe the mood of the country.

I think people (unrealistically) thought that President Obama wo9uld fix all that ails the country during his first six months in office.

Now that he hasn't, it appears as though people are returning to their pre-election state of anxiety about their futures -- particularly on the economic front.

Girls' Movie About Field Hockey...: Yes, actually there has been one:

Chak De! India

Sure, it's a foreign film but it's great and it counts.

For more:

Chak De! India (2007) (The New York Times, Aug. 11)

Sorry to direct to a rival.

Chris Cillizza: So AWESOME. Getting it from netflix today. (not kidding.)

And, again, for those of you who are sketpical about field hockey, I urge you to come to a Catholic U game this year. it is an awesome sport -- equal parts strength, skill and finesse.

Want to say hi to me at a game? I am the guy siting in the middle of our fans -- yelling support, nervously pacing and complaining about the refereeing.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS: The jets moved on south to Phoenix and became the abysmal Coyotes. I'm not sure how much longer Gretzky can keep that ship afloat.

Chris Cillizza: This is a slap in the face equivalent to when my beloved Hartford Whalers ditched Connecticut for that hotbed of hockey -- North Carolina.

Unreal.

Also, there is no better team anthem than "Brass Bonanza". On this point I will brook no disagreement.

Fort Belvoir, Va.: No question... just throwing out my nomination for the University of Scranton in the all Jesuit league. GO ROYALS!

-U of S alum

Chris Cillizza: Scranton was felled -- twice -- last year by the mighty Catholic University field hockey team. Just saying...

Stevia Root: still doesn't have full FDA testing...it is approved, but no full testing with years of info to determine effects like aspartame. Sucralose (Splenda) is currently the safest known, but still artificial..

Chris Cillizza: People are advising me to use something that hasn't been approved by the FDA! Man! I am the father of a six month old!

Dissent: But Chris, I thought dissent was the highest form of patriotism. At least, that's what I heard whenever Code Pink or other people rioted against Bush. Shoe's on the other foot, huh?

Chris Cillizza: Oooohh.......

It's not Gene Weingarten or Carolyn Hax but it's not bad! : But can you compete with WaPo's own Pookie (the Divine Ms. Lisa de Moraes)?

Chris Cillizza: Rankings of most kick ass Post online chats.

1. Weingarten. (also winner of best mustache award)

2. Hax

3. De Moraes (live at 1 pm today!)

165 (and rising!): Live Fix

Fort Worth: Chris, you idiot! The Hulen mall is in Fort Worth. PLEASE!

Chris Cillizza: Oh. My. Gosh.

I confused the two. Inexcusable. What would Jim Wright think?

San Diego, Calif.: What do they mean when they say "I want my country back?" From whom?

Chris Cillizza: 1. Stay classy, San Diego.

2. Good question.

Washington, D.C.: Thank god for Jon Stewart! If it weren't for the Daily Show last night, I wouldn't know that Glenn Beck couldn't stop talking about how horrible our health-care system is (after he had his own bad experience), and that "the Family" on C St. is super, super creepy -- including believing that women serve men in the Family/Fellowship because the men equal Jesus. Huh?

Chris Cillizza: I thank God for Jon Stewart every day. Whether you agree or disagree with him, the guy is making people pay attention to politics again. And for that I am thankful.

Also, Stephen Colbert dropped a Fix mention last week. To quote Ron Burgundy: "I am kind of a big deal. People know me."

Overland Park, Kan.: Jess Settles! (In retrospect, maybe he should have stayed in the NBA draft after his junior year... but I digress.)

Chris Cillizza: Guy was in college for seven years.

Chris Cillizza: Folks, the hazelnut latte has grown cold and our time is up.

Do me a favor and spread the word on the rampant hilarity combined with deep insight on the political process that is the Live Fix chat.

We will be here every Friday come rain or shine.

Have a great weekend.

Chris

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

» This Story:Read +|Talk +| Comments
© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity