Live: The Emmy Awards

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Lisa de Moraes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 20, 2009; 7:00 PM

Post TV columnist Lisa de Moraes was online Sunday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. ET to discuss the Emmy Awards live as the stars come out and the winners are announced.

washingtonpost.com: We're running just a few minutes behind and will begin around 7:15.

epjd: Hey Pookie, thanks for chatting tonight. No tv and watching the Dallas game online anyway. This is the only way I can get my Emmy fix.

Lisa de Moraes: Hi. Major computer virus attack this evening. All sytems go now... We're ready to chat...

Lisa de Moraes: Some of the things to look for tonight:

Will "30 Rock" best "West Wing's" record for most Emmys won by a series in a single season., "West Wing" clocked 9 Emmys in 2000. "30 Rock" snagged 20 noms this year which is a record for a comedy series. Heading into tonight, however, it's only won 2 from the non-televised portion of this year's Emmy doling-out. "Mad Men" has the second most noms of any series this year -- 16 -- but it only one 1 last Saturday.

Also, HBO's movie "Grey Gardens" already tied "Eleanor and Franklin's" record for most nominations ever for a TV movie -- 17 noms. It will have to clock a total of 12 wins to best "Eleanor and Franklin's" record number of actual wins. "Grey Gardens" has already won three Emmys -- last Saturday.

HBO set a nominations record -- 99 -- this year. If it wants to beat CBS's 1974 record for most Emmy wins by a network in a single year, it will have to go home with 45 trophies. As of last weekend, HBO had amassed 16 Emmys -- 29 to go!

Lisa de Moraes: A boatload of this year's Primetime Emmy Awards have aalready been handed out. They were dispensed last weekend at the non-televised ceremony (E! aired a cut-down of that night's trophy dispensing this past Friday.)

ANyway, while all the talk has been "30 Rock" this, "Mad Men" that, "Grey Gardens" blah, blah, PBS' miniseries "Little Dorrit" was the first night's top winner. Andrew Davies' adaptation of the Charles Dickens classic copped four awards, the most of any program.

Programs W/Multiple Awards during First Night Of Emmys

Little Dorrit: 4
102 Minutes That Changed America: 3
81st Annual Academy Awards: 3
American Idol: 3
Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony: 3
Generation Kill: 3
Grey Gardens: 3
Pushing Daisies: 3
30 Rock: 2
Chris Rock: Kill the Messenger: 2
Roman Polanski: Wanted And Desired: 2
Saturday Night Live: 2
So You Think You Can Dance: 2

Tinseltown: This is sent in ahead of time, but any truth to the rumor I am making up that Kanye West is rehearsing a speech that goes "I'm going to let you finish, but Cavemen was the best series ever"?

Lisa de Moraes: That nit-wit Jeff Probst, who won the Emmy last year for best reality series host told Ryan Seacrest he doesn't care who wins this year, so long as it's not "Dancing with the Stars's" Tom Bergeron. He says if Bergeron wins he's going to "pull a Kanye." And I wouldn't put it past him. Remember, he's one of that pack of reality-show hyenas who hijacked last year's Emmy show -- sending it plunging to its smallest audience on record -- when they decided to toss out the script for their opening bits and go up on stage and brag that they had no opening prepared..

Ann Arbor, Mich.: I just want to put it out there -- my love for Gervais knows no bounds.

Lisa -- thanks for doing this. You, and the Brits with their funny, short speeches, are the only reason to watch.

Lisa de Moraes: Thank you. And yes, I truly hope Gervais is asked to host the next Academy Awards. It will be hopeless without him.

Reston, Va.: Will the Emmys start late if football runs over on CBS?!?

Lisa de Moraes: They will have to cut out the commercials.. Ryan Seacrest is creeping out both Sarah Silverman AND Jimmy Fallon simultaneously -- which is hard to do -- with some story about how he had a dream he was running his hair through Sarah Silverman's hair.. Seacrest just nicked Fallon bigtime, saying Fallon is his, Seacrest's MOM's favorite show..

washingtonpost.com: COMEDY

Series

How I Met your Mother and The Office tied at 19 percent

Actor Alec Baldwin 27%

Actress Tina Fey 51%

Supporting Actor Neil Patrick Harris 37%

Supporting Actress Amy Poehler 25%

Writing James Bobin, Jermaine Clement, Bret McKenzie (Flight of The Conchords) 36%

Directing Jeff Blitz (The Office) 34%

DRAMAS

Series House 30%

Actor Hugh Laurie 43%

Actress Kyra Sedgwick 21%

Supporting Actor Wiilliam Shatner 32%

Supporting Actress Chandra Wilson 40%

Writing Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof (Lost: The Incident) 50%

Directing Phil Abraham, (Mad Men) 32%

OTHER

Reality Show MythBusters 28%

Miniseries Generation Kill 60%

Variety or Music The Daily Show With Jon Stewart 39%

Made for TV Movie Grey Gardens (HBO) 37%

Lisa de Moraes: Here, FYI, are the results of our WaPo TEAMTV poll in re who you think will win the Emmys this year. We'll see how we did as the orgy of emmy dispensing gets underway.

washingtonpost.com:

Lisa de Moraes: ...and here is our InstaPoll for the night...

On E!, Guiliana just interviewed animated Stewie only it went horribly awry and when she asked him a question he had vanished. "I got dissed by a cartoon character!" she wailed. "I never would have done that bit!" Ryan Seacrest tells her. Don't you just love the celebrity suck-up show red carpet programs?

Meanwhile,we may have our Dumbest Red Carpet Question Winner already. Over on TV Guide Channel, Chris Harrison badgersJeanne Tripplehorn's ("Big Love") husband about whether he would want more than one wife. "We're on live teelvision standing next to my wife -- what do you want me to say?"

FLA: Will the Emmy Awards ever end since it will already have a football delayed start?

Maybe they could give out the writing and directing awards that no cares about before the telecast starts.

Lisa de Moraes: lol... brilliant idea. You think CBS planned it that way?

Lisa de Moraes: "I can't wait til he passes away." Chevy Chase, co-star of NBC's new "Community" on the sitcom's star Joel McHale, waiting a beat too long to say he's joking.

Lisa de Moraes: I stand corrected. We do NOT yet have our winner dumbest red carpet show question. We have not even begun to plumb the depths of stupidity...."Did you put baby powder in your butt crack today? I did!" -- Kathy Griffin to Jolie Fisher ("Til Death") when talking about sweating. (It's about 100 degrees in the shade out here in Los Angeles today)....

Lisa de Moraes: "On the one side, we haven't done anything, on the other, it's written for us" --John Krasinski telling Carrie Ann Inaba about how his engagement to Emily Blunt in real life differs from his engagement to Pam on "The Office." Personally, I couldn't care less, but I promised WaPo TeamTV's "The Office" Romance correspondent Emily Yahr I'd post it...

Meanwhile, Guiliana is still a strong contender for Stupid Question. She just asked Julia Louis Dreyfus what was her favorite body part. Dreyfus said it was har "big nose." Undaunted, Guiliana asked what was her least fave body part and she said her pinky toes "are foul."...

Takoma Park, MD: Neil Patrick Harris is no Hugh Jackman. He needs to stop singing and dancing. Nice tux though.

Lisa de Moraes: Hey, how can you not enjoy the 45th joke about Kanye West -- "I hope he likes "30 Rock" ..da dum dum!

Adams Morgan: Lisa,

Someone has to ask the obvious question: who are you wearing?

Thanks for doing the chat and Twittering. I don't have TV (my digital converter box is finally on its way) so you're my only connection to what's going on.

washingtonpost.com: Follow Lisa: WaPoTeamTV on Twitter

Lisa de Moraes: I am wearing "WHole Foods" organic T shirt and Banana Republic khaki pants.. When this is over I'm throwing on my Lanvin dress -- yum -- and heading out to party land...

Glenarden, MD: What is the precedent for the Emmy's starting late due to football? Won't they just cut into 60 minutes since it is a live show?

Lisa de Moraes: I was in computer meltdown hell when it started...how late was it? Meanwhile Tina Fey and Jon Hamm presenting; Tina just joked that at top of show everyone still potential winner and Seth McFarlane is only pretty drunk -- she's not kidding..

Meanwhile, first Emmy win for Chenoweth. Loved her speech. Remember, Don Mischer and CBS said if they don't entertain -- they get the hook. CHenoweth: "I'm unemployed now so I'd like to be on 'Mad Men'; I also like 'The Office' and '24'..

FLA: Was the Emmy Awards trying to prove with that montage that comedies weren't very funny this year?

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, I think so, but they also picked some not great clips.. Some of those shows were better than those clips. Not that this was a great year for comedy. And, not a great year for WaPo TeamTV InstaPoll. We thought Amy Poehler was going to win in that category, though she was the leader with just 25 percent of the vote so it wasn't like we were totally on board..

Neil Patrick Harris: What do you mean, no Hugh Jackman?

Well, all right, but I thought he was still good!

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, I thought he was great. But where were the dancing girls?

Houston, Texas: YEA!! I love that Olive won!! And I loved that she seemed completely caught off guard when she won.

And what was up with Vanessa Williams?

Lisa de Moraes: Vanessa was apparently not into the whole goofy eyewear gag. I can't say as how I blame her.

Best writing in a comedy series. Think "30 Rock" is going to win?

Emmy goes to -- "30 Rock"! Okay, we got one right! Love the crawl at the bottom of screen letting me know I only have 6 minutes to wait for the cast of "Gossip Girl"!

Kristen Chenoworth: What did you think of her winning?

Lisa de Moraes: Love it -- unexpected.. On the other hand Barbie the Biggest Fan of TV Chick gag totally did not work...But I love the idea of John Hodgman doing running commentary, except his voice is so quiet and we can't hear what he's saying. Even so, I'm liking this show. So much better than last year. I know -- setting the bar way too low...

Even the presenter babble seems better this year than, um, forever. Julia Louis Dreyfus and Amy Poehler say they are presenting at the Emmys on the last official year of broadcast network television. Pretty cute.

Best suporting actor comedy series goes to -- John Cryer for "2.5" Men"! His first Emmy win ever. We thought Neil Patrick Harris was a walkover for "HIMYM."

So far two fun acceptance speeches. Cryer: "I can't believe this is happening to me. I used to think awards were shallow tokens of momentary popularity. But now I realize they are the only true measure of a person's worth as a human being. So thank you!"

Seattle: Part of the West Coast here. Why don't the Emmys go live on both coasts like the Oscars? Are you going to have a wrap-up discussion tomorrow morning?

Hoping that they show some of the deceased on "In Memoriam" instead of just the singer.

Pushing for a Neil Patrick Harris win while hosting....all to go into a big final song!

Lisa de Moraes: I too am hoping he does a final mop-up tune like he did at the Tonys. It was smart.. And I can't explain why the Emmys don't go live out here. It's lame...

Austin, TX: Jon Cryer? WT?

They had NPH sit in the audience just so we could see how hot his boyfriend is, right?

Lisa de Moraes: I too am shocked... why give it to him now?...Ooh, love serial killer ad in the Emmys! "Dexter" ad, Showtime being part of the CBS family. Maybe that's a first...

Washington DC: So far, the speech warning -- if it's not interesting, we're not airing it -- seems to be working...

Lisa de Moraes: I agree...

I thought Harris handled his loss well: "The night could have gone in two directions. We are now in the 'second direction.' The host lost...that's not awkward -- I won't let it get awkward....we're going to go a little bit faster" he said tearing up some cue cards.

Finally, it's Timberlake time, who says he 's turned on to hand out Emmy to -- Toni Collette, who stars in Showtime "comedy" about lighter side of multiple personality disorder or what it's called now. She apparently did not get the "no boring speeches" memo.

Former West Coaster: They dont' go live because it is 5:30 on a Sunday afternoon. People have not even had dinner yet.

Lisa de Moraes: But trophy shows are gradually caving and going live across country. Like that trendsetter, "Golden Globes."

Springfield, MA: What is United States of Tara about? Did you think she should win?

Lisa de Moraes: It's a Showtime show about a woman who has several personalities. I know -- regular laugh riot.

Ugh!!: U can't stand Sarah Silverman - ugh, what a cow!!!!!

whew... ok, I feel better now.

Lisa de Moraes: The moustache was cute...

NPH: Man, that New York Magazine article is so right. He jokes about being gay in the opening number? Awesome. Gayness really is a non-issue for him--that's not the case for everyone, but it's great to see it be true for one wannabe A-lister.

Lisa de Moraes: He's fearless. And thank you to the "Office" director for his short speech!..this is going pretty well..

Chantilly, VA: Is there a 30 Rock backlash running through the event's results?

Lisa de Moraes: I'd say that's our first trend... And we got that directing derby right -- we thought "The Office" would win

NPH: How could he not win? He's so awesome!

I don't actually watch 2 1/2 Men, so maybe I'm missing something...

Great speech by Jon Cryer, though.

Lisa de Moraes: I'm disappointed Harris did not win, but also thought Cryer's speech was one of the best on any trophy show in a while. And yes, watch "2.5 Men" once or twice...

Whittier, CA: Vanessa Williams. Has. Zero. Personality.

Lisa de Moraes: I. Know.

Comedy Writers: Far better at writing than improv.

Lisa de Moraes: What leads you to this conclusion....

the burbs: Vanessa Williams came across as a total b. for not participating in the funny glasses gag. What a tool.

Lisa de Moraes: on the other thank the glasses gag was pretty lame. and she's got this whole glamor girl image to maintain, right?

West Coast time: Who cares if they haven't had their dinner yet? Who wants to watch an awards show that they've already read about online?

Lisa de Moraes: Exactly. In this age of instant information, delaying the show three hours has got to adversely affect West Coast viewing...I think there's more downside to the delay than upside these days...

Rob Lowe presents Emmy for best lead actor in a comedy series -- but only after making sure we knew he starred in a show called "Dr. Vegas" -- by way of making sure we knew he'd been offered a role on "Grey's Anatomy."
"So if any of you are looking career advice. I'm your guy," Lowe joked -- demonstrating why he should never be cast in a comedy series.

Hey -- we got another one right -- Alec Baldwin, best comedy writer.

Am I the only one who think's the "Family Guy" Emmy video they just ran is not funny and is, in fact, horrifying?

That Sucked: I do not turn the Emmys on to watch violence, even in cartoon form.

Lisa de Moraes: I agree...

Whittier, CA: Vanessa Williams: You may have an issue with her personality, but she's a triple threat, a knockout, and had one of the biggest comebacks in entertainment history. Back up off of her -- she rightfully deserves respect!

Lisa de Moraes: okay -- point taken.. but I wish she'd put on trifocals...

Ugh...Family guy: That clip just showed every reason why I hate Family Guy. Ick. Simpsons was Emmy worthy at one time. Family Guy is just gross.

Lisa de Moraes: Best reality host. Jeff Probst again! -- Noooooooo.

On the other hand, we just got the closest thing possible to an apology for the pack of reality-show host hyenas who hosted last year. Probst was one of them and they were a collective disaster, tossing out the script of the opening number and going up on stage without a script, because they felt their very presence would be enough. They bombed, the show never recovered and last year's Emmycast clocked the shows's smallest audience in its history -- 12 million viewers.

Probst just got up on stage and said:

"Neil Patrick Harris -- this is how you host the Emmys. Nice job."

Yes, patronizing. But it sounded like an apology to me. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Lorne Michaels: What's with all the love for Lorne tonight--both Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin gushing over him and Michaels looked uncomfortable rather than touched?

Lisa de Moraes: Because I'm morbid, my immediate reaction is to worry there is something wrong with him....

FLA: Why do the Emmys continue to overlook Tyra for best reality host?

Lisa de Moraes: I don't know -- particularly given that Probst keeps winning. If Probst can win, surely Tyra is worth nominating...

NE DC: I was horrified by the Family Guy clip. I never watch that show and now never will

Lisa de Moraes: I'm getting a lot of comments agreeing with you. I think that was the show's first misstep...

wash dc: Wow, Probst disses the hosts from last year and gives NPH a shout out!

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, and he was one of those hosts.

Love that Tracy Morgan just complained that the reality show on "30 Rock" -- "MILF Island" is not among the nominees for best reality-competition series. Which this year goes to, "Amazing Race" which is szzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

"Upsets at every turn!" Harris says as he comes back on stage after this year's Really Boring "Amazing Race" acceptance speech. Harris is a hoot. BTW, in our poll, 91 percent of you have given him "thumbs up" so far into the show...

Reality..: I don't watch Amazing Race. Pookie, could you explain to me why this show keeps winning?

Lisa de Moraes: Because it's a round-the-world trek every edition and the cinematography is gorgeous.... seriously. That is why.

Yay Amazing Race!: Sooo happy this show wins every year! Sometimes I'm afraid it's what keeps it on the air and it's my all-time favorite reality show. Love it!

Lisa de Moraes: No, it's not the only thing that keeps the show on the air. It does a solid number for CBS...

Austin, TX: I didn't mind the Family Guy violence, but I'm pretty sure that's a clip from the show with the voices redubbed with Emmy-related dialogue.

Amazing Race. Again.

Lisa de Moraes: Seth took that scene and did a dis on every other comedy-series nominated show...and each video, it was not funny. But I am not a 12-year-old guy, so it's not intended to amuse me.

Lorne Michaels: Thank you for making me feel less like a freak of nature. I turned to my husband when Alec got up there and said "Is Lorne Michaels sick or something?"

Lisa de Moraes: exactly!

Severn, MD: Great set and innovative use of video, graphics and lighting. I had hoped they would do away with the "group troup" acceptance spectacle. Do they want us to keep watching or not?

Lisa de Moraes: yes, that's a mistake to keep allowing that.. Takes a buzz killing amount of tme to get them assembled...

West Grove PA: My thoughts exactly on Lorene Michaels - is there something wrong with him?

Lisa de Moraes: Apparently lots of you did.

Ken Howard gets my vote for best speech line so far: "I'll make my speech brief in hopes I won't be interrupted by a congressman or a rapper." ...He just won best supporting actor for "Grey Gardens." "Grey" now needs to win eight more Emmys to best "Eleanor and Franklin's " record for most emmy wins ever for a teleflick...

Ken Howard: Was that the sweetest acceptance speech or what?

Lisa de Moraes: Very nice. I don't know what happened but this year's acceptance speeches are in a whole different league than last year's...

Fairfax Station, Va.: Pookster, that woman (Shohreh something or other) that just won Best Supporting Actress ... 2 or 3 pack a day smoker? Did you hear her breathing? Thought my dog was having a seizure! (Bonus points if you remember her character as Grace's assistant on Will & Grace!)

Lisa de Moraes: Shohreh Aghdashloo (sp?) always sounds like that, I'm told, though yes, I too thought she was having breathing trouble...

The White Shadow Just Won: Go Ken Howard!

Lisa de Moraes: you betcha!

Washington, D.C.: Telecast is going really well. Speeches are brief and entertaining and NPH is doing a great job. So happy Kristen Chenoweth won. I can't wait to see her on Glee!

Lisa de Moraes:

Lead actor in miniseries or movie: gosh I hope Kiefer Sutherland wins this one..

D.C.: I like that NPH is introducing the presenters with their first jobs/credits they had long ago. Nice reminder where some of them got their start.

Lisa de Moraes: Drat! I was so looking forward to having Kiefer say something patronizing about how pleased he was that the fellow nominees got to be in the same category as him.

Meanwhile,I am also enjoying Harris reaching back to their early credits. It's like a great field leveler...

Am I the only one who thought Patricia Arquette looked like she wanted to hit "Love" over the head with a large blunt object?..

Hey -- another win for "Little Dorrit" which cleaned up last week..

Kate Walsh: Ugly dress.

Lisa de Moraes: agreed... but Chandra's wasn't any better...

Patricia Arquette: Wow, June was busting out all over!

Lisa de Moraes: ..speaking of ugly dresses.. And "Little Dorritt' is really cleaning up.

Acceptance Speeches and Kanye West: I think everyone learned a hard lesson from the VMA's last week when Kanye made a Jackhole of himself and everyone's on their best behavior tonight. But then again, it's only 9:23 ...

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, the night is still young.

And, we've just seen the closest Joss Whedon will get to the Emmys this year -- or maybe any year: Dr. Horrible takes over the Emmycast while the accountants are "explaining" how they tabulate the Emmys.

Ashburn, Va.: Dr. Horrible!!!!! Yay!!!

Lisa de Moraes:

Another "Grey Gardens" win. Jessica Lange wins for best longform actress... I'm sure she gave a great speech but I was mesmerized by the eyebrows...and Drew Barrymore,who has managed to take her hair from nearly white-blonde with black tips -- like an old lady who had accidentally dipped her hair in the ink well -- on Leno's show, to red in just 48 hours.

Ann Arbor, Mich.: Alec Baldwin makes me sick

Lisa de Moraes: Why, pookie? We think he's very funny. We don't much like how he talks to his daughter sometimes, but we think he's very funny and talented...

Curious: So was Little Dorrit that much better than Grey Gardens or were the voters simply hypnotized by the accents?

Lisa de Moraes: Three Words: Crunchy. Gravel. Drama...America loves Crunchy Gravel Dramas..

wash dc: Love seeing the Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer comeback! Did Joss Whedon have to give permission for this?

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, I'm sure. But like I said, this is probably the closest he will ever come to the Emmys...

Shohreh Aghdashloo Credits: Don't forget House of Sand and Fog, 24, and X-Men 3. A very talented actress.

Lisa de Moraes: Extremely talented, but so out of breath...

Austin, TX: Someone needs to spend some time on the Internet Broadway Database. NPH is an amazing musical performer.

Lisa de Moraes: This was sent to me a while ago but excellent suggestion...

Baltimore: What's up with Jessica Lange's face?? Too much time in the sun? And really, some of these women need to realize that sleeves are your friends.

I was hoping to see Drew Barrymore win, now you know that would have been an amazingly odd speech.

Lisa de Moraes: It would not have been any worse a speech than Lange gave.. Speaking thereof -- "Grey Gardens" just won for best telefilm..."Little Dorrit" won for best miniseries and the Satin Sisters got up to give the thank you speech. Now we move to variety programming. How are you guys liking the show being divided up by genre. Personally I think it's fun...

Observation: Comedy makes the Emmys. As we move further into drama categories speeches drag and I find myself wondering over to iTunes to shop!

Lisa de Moraes: And thank god we've moved on to "Variety" ...

Washington, DC: You know, "Grey Gardens" was written and directed by my Georgetown classmate, Mike Suscy. And I'm sorry, I couldn't sit through that thing. I really tried, I swear...

Lisa de Moraes: Local angle -- hooray!

Emmy for best reality-series director to "American Idol." Really? The show that ran too long for more episodes than any other show in TV history?...

FYI, we got miniseries wrong -- we thought "Generation Kill" would win, by a margin of 60 percent. We really got that one wrong..

Re: Genre Divisions: Love it! It allowed me to do laundry during the reality portion, and to pay attention to your chat during the movie/mini-series segment.

Lisa de Moraes: But you don't want to miss the variety segment. The reading of best writers in comedy/variety series is always one of the highlights of the Emmy show but this year was particularly original. Billy Crystal singing the Letterman show names and Brian Williams reading hte "SNL" names were particularly good. But Conan's show wins for most clever -- they were all asking to be Conan's facebook friends and he kept clicking "ignore," "ignore," "ignore."

The variety show writer videos: Always a highlight. Nice.

Lisa de Moraes: Very nice... it's always something to look forward to. But this year it's not like an oasis in a desert...

DC: Aren't there any minority writers?

Lisa de Moraes: No. Nor actors, apparently. In series or TV movies or miniseries or on late night comedy shows...

emmytown, usa: Pookie, Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog won an emmy last weekend:

Outstanding Special Class - Short-format Live-Action Entertainment Programs

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, I was referring to Joss's, you know, actual TV series. But I take your point!

Go NPH!: I have never made it this long through the Emmys. Yay NPH. And what is up with those speeches??? Many of them are actually GOOD. Can't wait for House's speech.

Lisa de Moraes: You Can Do This!.. and here'sa great category, with "Motherlover"...

Washington, DC: What to do? Watch a new episode of Mad Men or watch Mad Men take home the Emmy???

Lisa de Moraes:

Watch the trophy show and DVR "Mad Men"...."Motherlover" got robbed.

It's like CBS had Jimmy Fallon do a bit: so more people would watch Craig Ferguson.

Lisa de Moraes: Lol... and so true.

Best comedy/variety show win to "Daily Show." Why doesn't someone let Ricky Gervais host a trophy show? A late night talk show? The CBS Evening News?

Tonight's trophy show and Harris just got two more big thumbs up. "You're doing a wonderful job and these shows usually suck and you've been very good," Jon Stewart says as he picks up his trophy for best comedy/variety show.

"Me again -- Better than last year," quipped Ricky Gervais. They keep cutting to Kevin Kline, who seems pained to be pained to be there. Like when Gervais said the Emmys are the best trophy show ever because everyone is so ugly he looks handsome by comparison: "The thing about the Oscars -- they've got film stars there, with their jaw lines and their chiseled looks making me feel bad, but in this room, I'm probably above average."

Severn, MD: I can't recall laughing as much at presenters as I just did at Jimmy Fallon and Ricky Gervais. And I LOVE the addition of John Hodgman, but do the recipients have enough sense of humor to appreciate his addition to the broadcast when the watch the playback?

Lisa de Moraes: I can't hear most of what Hodgman is saying, so I can't say.. I love the idea in theory...

Robbed!: "Mother Lover" got robbed, and so did SNL. The show had an amazing year.

I'm DVRing "Mad Men", and hoping to see them win a few awards tonight. Would love to see Jon Hamm win, just to see Jon Hamm in his tux on stage again. Wowzers.

Lisa de Moraes: I don't think you will be disappointed. What a stuffed shirt Emerson is... golly, it's TV, not world peace...

FLA: It's so cute that CBS stuck its own dramas into the clip montage even though they don't win Emmys anymore.

Lisa de Moraes: Sweet, isn't it? You can't blame them, though. They've paid about $10 million to air a show that is a three-hour love letter to cable, and NBC...

Woohoo Michael Emerson: Almost everyone I want to win tonight is actually winning. Yay!

Lisa de Moraes: Glad you're happy.

Time for the tribute to the deceased. How nice that, unlike when they had a live singer at the Oscars, they focused on the clips of the dead people instead of "ooh, look who we got to be" the singer..

Washington, DC: Damn it Lisa, Jack (Kiefer) is looking hot!

Lisa de Moraes: I know, Ricky Gervais must be disgusted...

Wow, Cherry Jones!: Upset? Nice to see her get recognized, she was the best part of last season's "24".

Lisa de Moraes: Our poll had Chandra Wilson picked for supporting actress. It is nice to see her recognized, though this was hardly the role she'll be remembered for. We also had supporting actor called all wrong -- WaPo TeamTV poll was sure William Shatner would be recognized for his last season on "Boston Legal."

Drama - BORING!: They need to double up on the comedy awards. The drama people are ridiculously boring. They are totally NOT acknowledging the hilarious Neil Patrick who is giving them the BEST lead-ins ever and all they do is BORING stuff.

Lisa de Moraes: maybe a little too weighed down by their own sense of importance? Odd the concensus seems to be the comedy awards are more fun, and yet people don't watch comedies....

LL Cool J: Looks terrible with that hat on..

Lisa de Moraes: Who wouldn't look terrible with that hat on?

Reston, Va.: I'm loving all the NPH love from the winners. Jon Stewart is awesome.

Lisa de Moraes: Me too. This is a fun kind of awards show. Not taking itself so seriously as they usually do...

Jon Stewart Rocks!: I admit I wanted Stephen Colbert to win, but Jon Stewart's speech knocked my socks off (can I say that?). Neil Patrick Harris's intro was hilarious (76th year on TV, 300th win) and I love that Stewart totally lauded him.

I cannot believe I am enjoying the Emmy's this year!

Lisa de Moraes: It's shocking and I'm thinking you are in good company, though I'm not sure everyone will be willing to admit it.. And, on a different, what is Brooke Shields talking about when "inadequate lashes"? Sounds kinda pervy.....

Genre divide - thumbs up here: Digging the new format. Though it took longer for the writers from the Jon Stewart Show to get on stage than it did for the acceptance- doofus to make his speech. Move it along, folks. I have an early morning!

Lisa de Moraes: They need to do away with group stage hug...it's buzz killing... Pick one person have him or her get up there and give the speech....and I can't believe "ER" actually wins an award in this its last and lamest season -- and no one shows up....geesh...

Motherlover DID get robbed: That was cold.

Lisa de Moraes: Agreed. Matt Weiner just started the "Mad Men" sweep.

Matt Our poll picked "Lost"... Thank our parent and families fiance and lady who gave her a kidnsey and I would liek to thank my critic and advisor and muscse. kids... we work with amc and lionsgate and i maybe only level complete creative freedom, why show is way it is... ... "When you get something like this it makes writing look fun and bu tit's not. If you're out htere just hang in ther na dwhen you look down row

Freaky!: I was typing my comment about not showing Sarah McLachlan more than they showed those being memorialized as you posted yours. We're on the same wavelength. Should I be happy or worried? I'm leaning towards happy.

Lisa de Moraes: Happy. of course. You have become a Serious Student of Television. Glenn Close again wins the Emmy for beaing the Greatest Scenery Chewing Chick in the history of TV.How much do you love that she refers to the nominees who lost to her -- AGAIN -- as her "category sisters" because "we have all been together now in these affairs and I respect you." That's Hollywood speak for -- beat you again!

And whoever noted earlier that the drama genre winners are all pretty full of themselves and not giving Harris any love -- so right. Close was the worst..."It's such a huge privilege to be in the community we're such a part of...we go where there's good writing," blah, blah, blah...

Matthew Weiner: I'm so important. You must all love me. I'm gonna talk now even though I'm gonna win again later so I will get to thank my "muse" then too.

Lisa de Moraes: Because of the network and the studio give me total freedom to do the show exactly as I see fit, it is the brilliant show that it is....His speech really was a treat.

Simon Baker ...: ... did your heart go pitter patter just now?

Lisa de Moraes: um, yes...

Oh, NO: How is it possible for Simon Baker to look awful? and yet, behold a mess!

Lisa de Moraes: ...and yet, there are those who would disagree...ooh, the night's first Cougar joke...

Ashburn, Va: Pookie, I'm inspired by your talent.

Lisa de Moraes: Thank you. And the Emmy or best drama series actor goes to Bryan Cranston -- again. This year has, as we thought, played out like a repeat of last year. And, in re Baker, just got a good look and he is most definitely not a mess...

spectacles: what's up with all these presenters wearing eye glasses...can they all not see...or is this some bit they are all doing?

Lisa de Moraes: Started out as a joke, but I think Delany is blind as a bat...Bob Newhart out now. He's never won an Emmy...which is wrong.

Washington, DC: The problem with Glenn Close's speech is she didn't have one of those great writers write her speech. Too bad Jon Hamm lost, but Bryan Cranston's speech is good.

Lisa de Moraes: Agreed...Cranston's speech was one of the best of the drama genre...And if it's Best Comedy Series, it must be time for "30 Rock" to win -- again.

Washington, DC: Could Dana Delaney and Simon Baker not afford contacts for the big night?

Lisa de Moraes: You have to see Simon Baker at the coffee shop in the morning to appreciate the fabulousness of his glasses.

Hooray for Tina Fey for thanking NBC's Jeff Zucker, former Ben Silverman and Jeff Gaspin for keeping "30 Rock" on the air "even though we are so much more expensive than a talk show." A reference to Jay Leno's new 10 p.m. Monday through Friday show on that network, of course...

Silver Spring: Hugh Laurie would have given a much better speech.

Lisa de Moraes: Totally. I've heard his speeches -- when he's won TV Critics Association Awards. They are speeches I'll tell my grandchildren about. Time will be measured as "before Hugh Laurie Gave That Great TCA Award Acceptance Speech" or "Not Long After Hugh Laurie Brought the House Down with That Speech"....

FLA: Good thing Bob Newhart showed up because the show was dangerously close to ending on time.

Lisa de Moraes: lol... and yet, it just wouldn't be a trophy show without an overrun. We owe Bob our thanks...

Bob Newhart: ROCKS!!!!

Lisa de Moraes: some people actually liked him...

Bob Newhart: Adorable, love him.

Lisa de Moraes: ..like this chatter...

"Mad Men" shut out of acting AGAIN: It's the best show on TV, it's sad the cast doesn't get the recognition it deserves. No offense to Bryan Cranston, but Jon Hamm was robbed. Do they know how cute he is? Ricky Gervais obviously didn't see Jon Hamm when he did his bit.

Lisa de Moraes: Good Grief, it's about to win for best drama series. Isn't enough?

Reston, Va: Is Pearle Vision one of the sponsors tonight?

Lisa de Moraes: See -- in re Mad Men's win for best drama series. Which can only mean it's time for one more Matt Weiner's All About Me speech: "What an incredible year --the election and then this!" I love this guy... Okay, here are the final results: We only picked 22 percent of the categories correctly. And 92 percent of you gave Neil Patrick Harris a big thumbs up for his hosting duties.

Washington, DC: Love Tina, but what was up with her opening line? "that was a nail biter, eh?"

Lisa de Moraes: Irony?

Mad Men! Yay!: January Jones is BEAUTIFUL! But WHAT IS UP with Elisabeth Moss and Fred Armisen? Mismatch!

Lisa de Moraes: I was too busy looking at January Jones and Jon Hamm to notice. Gotta run to the parties. Thanks for joining me -- I enjoyed watching the trophy show with you...

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity