Redskins Loss to Lions and NFL Wrap Up

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, September 28, 2009; 11:30 AM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Sep. 28 to take your questions about the Redskins' loss to the lowly Lions in Detroit, the latest league injuries and all the breaking news in the NFL.

Read more: Full Coverage of the NFL.

Discuss the NFL: The League

A transcript follows.

Cindy Boren: Hello. What's new with you? Good weekend? Huh? Oh, yeah. Glad to see you've uncurled from the fetal position long enough to join me in chatworld. Send your questions and comments; you have a lot to say, but I must gently remind you that not to cross the lines of taste/decency/like such as with your comments. I want to get as many as possible up here.

Bowie, Md.: Boswell's column about the mass delusion on this team was dead on, and it starts with the guy at the top.

How long will it be until Snyder recognizes that the mediocrity starts with the way he runs the franchise and that, if he truly wants to win, he'll have to change the way he does things? Because I'm worried that, if he continues this way, the Redskins will be like the Orioles are,, a once beloved franchise that's a shell of itself because of poor ownership, and that in 10 years the only games that will sell out at FedEx will be Cowboys/Giants/Eagles type games, with 70% fans of the opposing teams.

washingtonpost.com: Thomas Boswell: In Big Picture for Washington Redskins Organization, Focus Disappeared Long Ago (Washington Post, Sep. 28)

Cindy Boren: Let's start with a nice comment about Tom Boswell's column. Your concerns may very well be valid after what we've seen over 10 years.

Westminster, Md.: Are we the Browns of the NFC East?

Cindy Boren: No, you're not the Browns (be happy you're not the chiefs). Zorn has to be a better coach than Eric Mangini, doesn't he?

Fredericksburg, Va.: This team doesnt come out swinging, we fall behind in the first half every game. They don't start playing until it's too late. The defense was awful, I can't believe the rushing average and 3rd down completion percentage they gave up to the Lions. Jansen's insight surely helped them, but we were outcoached and outplayed. I'm disgusted.

Cindy Boren: Would the Lions have won without Jansen? Probably. But you point to a problem with the Redskins that has bugged me for a while. There's no identity. They consistently play well enough to win -- or lose -- by a handful of points and it doesn't matter who the opponent is. Sure, they're in every game, but there never seems to be a fire. I don't get it.

Washington, D.C.: Cindy -

I've got my pitchfork ready. When will the mob be storming Snyder's house to throw him out of town?

Cindy Boren: Put the pitchfork down, Sparky. Mob violence never solved anything. Instead, you could vote with your checkbook or your Redskins credit card. And -- here's a cheery thought -- they have three games against 0-8 teams coming up; things could still improve.

Riverhead, N.Y.: Cindy,

If everyone in the world wants Jim Zorn to go at 1-2 doesn't that make us just like Dan Snyder? Has Dan Snyder brought everyone down to his level of doing things?

He does seem way over his head. At this point I only hope that these guys that may coach the Redskins want full control and get rid of everyone.

Cindy Boren: Let's see where things are at the halfway point first. (That said, there was some curious playcalling yesterday.)

Poplar Bluff, Mo.: Cindy, let me express to the Redskins fans that you have one win already this season. How would you like to be a Rams fan?

Cindy Boren: Poplar Bluff! How are things there? Been to Lake Wappapello lately? The pro fubball teams of the state of Missouri have exactly zero wins...two teams, bupkes. So Redskins fans can console themselves with that.

Charlotte, N.C.: Cindy,

Do you think Zorn's Job is in danger? It seems to be an all too common theme in DC to get rid of a coach and/or quarterback if they do not produce in short period of time. I would like to see another year of Campbell/Zorn before we bring out the pitchforks and fire.

Cindy Boren: The seat is hot, that's for sure, but we're told that it's not in danger yet. As for another year of Campbell/Zorn, well, good luck. If they win the next three, they're 4-2 and maybe they have a little momentum they can build on. You might get another season for those guys; short of a playoff appearance and maybe even a playoff win, I don't think you'll see them.

Washington, D.C.: I was glad to see Tom Boswell touch on the Redskins' players belief that they are so incredibly talented. This mindset is something that has been going on for a while, and I agree with Boz that part of it likely stems from the "stars" on the team getting so much money from Snyder that they think they are elite players in the NFL because, well, they are paid like it. Do you have any thoughts on this issue?

It's interesting to note that the Wizards have the same mindset, for different reasons I assume. Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler spent the summer talking about how the Wizards are championship contenders after going 19-63 last season. Is it something about DC that causes local teams to overestimate themselves?

Cindy Boren: The roster seems to have been assembled with no regard to an overarching chemistry. You can spend a bundle, just spend it smartly on the right mix of guys at the right positions. You can't just throw them together and think it will click. You're just as likely to blow up the lab. Basketball is such a different sport; as for the Wizards, keep Arenas healthy for a full season and let's see where they are.

Charm City: Disillusioned Redskins fans ought to consider Maryland's other NFL team, the Ravens. From the front office to the front line, they appear to have their act together in '09.

Cindy Boren: There's a lot to like with the Ravens, but you can't just change allegiance like that. Well, I can, but I'm a notorious front-runner. Most fans would say it isn't that easy. Besides, that shade of purple isn't flattering to a lot of people. And what do you do with the tatoos???

Oakland, Calif.: Is it possible that everyone's great shock at the loss to the Lions is predicated on a fallacy: that the Redskins were a good team? It seems like even the usually even-keeled Mike Wise and Tom Boswell fell into the trap.

Personally, I had to move to California to escape the annual regional delusions. (Still took me years.) I think, outside of D.C., no one had any great expectations for the Redskins' season. (You find the same delusional thinking here, by the way: they talk about the Raiders as if they could be champs.)

Cindy Boren: Overrated? Well, there's a huge difference between a roster on paper and on the field. Just judging by talent, you'd say that because the Redskins, with the No. 4 defense in the NFL, added Albert Haynesworth and, have a steady, smart coach like Greg Blache, they should be even more dominating. They added a few people on offense and you'd think that that might be enough to get them to 10 wins--despite the inattention given to the offensive line. I think everyone realizes, though, that sometime reality doesn't match preseason assessments.

You do raise a terrific point about regionality. Outside the Beltway, the Redskins are not a national story and haven't been for a few years.

Silver Spring, Md.: The Boswell piece was right on ... I don't know where the players get the idea they deserve to be an upper echelon team in the NFL. And the local fans that think (thought) the Redskins are a play-off contender have their head just as deep in the sand. I think too many people are looking too far back to when superiority was the norm in D.C., and projecting that to today.

Get real; that was 20 years ago. As a casual fan, I've seen mediocrity for 10+ years here. Anyone that expects better then a .500 season is blind.

Cindy Boren: I do think Boz was spot on, but a .500 team can be a playoff contender.

Moorestown, N.J.: Is Clinton Portis done or is it all the offensive line or is it a combination of all? He doesn't seem to be like he used to be and i am still wondering why they picked Aldridge back up.

Cindy Boren: Not sure yet. Is it the bone spurs? Is it his lack of practice? Is it the offensive line? It may be all of those things. It certainly got everyone's attention when the team brought Alridge back, even though he didn't bust the lineup yesterday.

Falls Church, Va.: Maybe now is a perfect time to ditch the "Redskins" name and rebrand as a new team.

Cindy Boren: I'll leave that matter for the owner, the fans and the courts to decide.

Fredericksburg, Va.: It's a shame you couldnt just tell the fans to not go to the game next week and let the players see what an empty stadium looks like. Maybe everyone could bring paper bags to put over their heads to protest.

Yesterday's game reminded me of watching the Cowboys in the past. They think they have so much talent, some of them are standing around waiting for someone else to make a play.

Cindy Boren: If you wear a paper bag, be sure to cut eye holes.

New York, N.Y.: I sure wish they had run the half back option on 4th and goal! Just kidding.

Cindy Boren: Okay, now that was funny.

Washington, D.C.: Isn't there 13 games left in the season? Why is everyone so fed up with this team? From what I have gathered from the doomsayers, expectations were exceptionally low this season. But two losses, and it's "Fire everybody!!!" They call facemask on Moss like they should have, and skipped that bunk pass interference on Horton and maybe we are praising this team's resilience. Shouldn't Haynesworth returning from being carted off the field be seen as heroic?

Cindy Boren: Thirteen big ones. Or, conceivably, 13 really bad, interminable ones. Either way, this train ride isn't ending any time soon. Rather than the non-call, I would argue that there were a couple of questionable decisions that cost the team the game. Can't judge Haynesworth until I find out more about his injury.

Alexandria, Va.: Jim Zorn is beginning to sound like Norv Turner, who once famously said, "I thought we played great for three quarters." When Zorn says "we need to look at the little things," he's clearly delusional. The Redskins organization needs to look at the -big- things, starting with why they don't show up ready to play.

Cindy Boren: They need, at this point, to look at everything -- big, little and in-between.

Detroit: We can mail you the bags and you can cross out "Fire Millen" and write in "Change the Name"...

Cindy Boren: Ouch. Nice gesture, though.

Empty Stadium!!: I like that idea - everyone just stay home. No beer sales, no trinket sales - no $$ for Snyder's coffers, I bet that would get his attention that things are too far gone. Let the TV audiences see that we are darn tired of mediocrity.

Cindy Boren: Thanks, Empty.

Vienna, Va: Does Snyder seek any advice from any football minds outside of the franchise ? One would think that at this point his and Cerrato's way of running a team has been a complete failure and he would look for someone to provide advice on a new or proven approach.

Cindy Boren: I can't imagine that he does not, but I cannot answer that for certain.

Hilton Head SC: As I have written before, the team just has no toughness or confidence. They will never be a real good team with the current group of players and overall organization but they could be a tough team to beat if they had any of the above. We are and probably have been for awhile the team on other team's schedule that they say should win. The players truly think they are better then what they are and I think they play for there own good. I'm sure Moss is quite happy today since he had a good game and Campbell probably not too mad either but its about winning and they just don't know how to prepare and play to win.

Cindy Boren: Perhaps. I didn't get that sense from listening to them last night, though.

Silver Spring, Md.: As a Native American living in Silver Spring, let me tell you how hurtful the team name and image are to me, made all the worse by the minorities wearing the offensive image and name with such pride. Why haven't any of the team members come out for changing the name (or have they)?

Would Snyder be so daft as to attempt to draft Sam Bradford next year?

Cindy Boren: Thank you for your comment.

Germantown, Md.: Not sure I understand "prevent defense" just yet, but that "prevent offense" of ours inside the red zone is very frustrating!

Cindy Boren: Bada-bing!

Washington, D.C.: What is your take on the officiating? I am not making excuses but sometimes 1 or 2 big calls or missed calls can make a huge difference in a close game.

Cindy Boren: Yeah, but that's true of every game. And you can't instant replay every single call.

Debert, Nova Scotia: A team's "fire" and cohesiveness usually comes from the head coach. If that coach is purely a manager and not a leader, you are in trouble. Just look what George Allen did with that crew he coached. he fired them up. Do you think Jim Zorn will ever be a leader?

Cindy Boren: He is a leader, just a different sort. I'm not sure that the George Allen way would work with players today. And we may find that Zorn's type doesn't work either.

Kensington, Md.: All you needed to know about the fire in these two teams' bellies was their reaction afterwards. One Lion was actually crying, while the Redskins were laughing as if they were at a tailgate.

Perhaps winning is not important to many players anymore; maybe the trappings that come with being a professional athlete are not just the means to an end but the end itself.

Cindy Boren: People have said this about athletes for years now. Is it more true than in the past? You're bringing me around to your way of thinking.

Atlanta: How can the offense have confidence when Zorn calls trick plays in crucial situations rather than just line up and go at them with your best shot? If our best hope is to try and fool people what does that say about his belief in his player's skill & talent?

Cindy Boren: Whatever happened to up the gut?

Los Alamos, N.M.: Why didn't Betts lateral on the last play? How do you allow yourself to get tackled with the ball when the whole point is to not get tackled and keep the ball moving. I mean, just fumble and hope you get lucky and your team picks it up. Was Betts thinking about his stat line and didn't want to fumble?

I know it's silly to focus on the last play of the game when so many other plays were more important, but it drives me nuts to see somebody take the tackle when they are supposed to lateral.

Cindy Boren: Why don't you heave it toward the end zone on first and 10 at the Detroit 36?

FYI, we're adding a Haynesworth update to the blog now. He traveled to Nashville for an MRI on his hip flexor. Keep an eye on Redskins Insider.

Alexandria, Va.: Jim Zorn = Manny Acta. Discuss.

Cindy Boren: Oh, good grief. Let's let a few more games play out, mkay?

New York, N.Y.: What I can't get over is the fact that the Redskins were dominated by the Lions. The Lions are professionals too, and they were going to win sometime - and if the Redskins had lost to an inspired Lions team playing extraordinary football, I might be able to shrug. But to be beaten pantless this way, urgh!

Cindy Boren: Because you're smart? It was bad and the Redskins were, indeed, de-pantsed.

New York, N.Y.: I vote we let Zorn and Campbell keep on tryin' for 13 more games, and then discard as needed. I'm fairly certain that Zorn should be tossed in the dustbin (his two foolish calls this past game convinced me), and I suspect that Campbell's ceiling is lower than we might hope (although I'm less sure about this).

In other news, I have a new name for the football team: The Pigskins. The mascot becomes the hog. (Already our animal of choice.) We can still call them the 'Skins. Hail to the Pigskins! This is the idea that can save the franchise.

Cindy Boren: (BTW, de-pantsed does not spellcheck.) I think you have to let them keep on tryin'. You can't just fire everybody after three games. You can't. I mean it. Stop.

As for your idea, well, I can see that you're a real ideas perosn, aren't you? Keep at it!

Rockville, Md.: It's pretty telling that ex Redskins (B-Mitch and Riggo, to name a few) are more upset about yesterday's game than current Redskins. Why is it that every other team seems to have at least one player screaming at his teammates for their poor play and holding them accountable. Maybe we can hire Tim Tebow for one game to yell at them like he did a few weeks ago.

Cindy Boren: Tim Tebow is still seeing birdies circling over his head...but the former Skins are pretty outspoken, aren't they? Riggins' tweets yesterday were unbelievable. While I applaud honesty, the easiest thing in the world is to tell the whippersnappers they aren't as good as you were.

Boycott: I think it is time for a boycott. Mr. Snyder is the owner, and he is free to run the team as he sees fit. But bad decisions do have repercussions. I would love to see the fans stay home. Turn off the Deadskins for the rest of the year --and deliver a petition to the front office. Hire a real GM, hire a real coach, and get rid of the overpaid hot air that currently occupies the locker room. You play to win the game --- not to talk about how you should have won because of your "talent."

Cindy Boren: Thanks for sharing!

Hoboken, N.J.: After a nice opening drive, it seemed to me that Zorn let all the pressure from the fans/media about ineptitude in the red zone make the decision to go on 4th and goal. He should have coached to win the game and kicked a chip shot field goal. I thought it was a weak call and he left points on the field. Your thoughts?

Cindy Boren: He left points on the field. Do you think he's hearing the media and fans? He has said he doesn't read things, that his wife points out a few stories here and there. I don't know that he's influenced from the outside.

Alexandria, Va.: "Whatever happened to up the gut?"

The Redskins haven't had an offensive line above average in years. Running up the gut means going behind a kid who wasn't good enough to make a travel squad last week.

Most great football teams have great offensive lines. It's the one position where the Redskins don't make much of a splash in the offseason, probably because it's not the most glamorous spot. Dockery is nice but not a difference maker. The Redskins are in big trouble because their OL has no depth, is old and isn't as highly talented as a lot of folks.

Cindy Boren: Yeah. What you said.

Washington, D.C.: That Pigskin idea is actually very good. I never thought I would read a really good idea in a chat.

Cindy Boren: I get a share of the profits!

Raleigh, N.C.: I've always felt that successful teams rarely make big moves in the free agency. They sign young guys coming out of their rookie contracts. They sign the veteran here and there. But, they leave the stars to the draft process. I think this reflects on the chemistry/identity issue. You have a core of players that were all assembled through free agency. They ignore the draft. And people wonder why the Redskins have no identity? ...

And, not only that, they don't sign players for any type of system. They sign stars, but not stars taht fit what type of team they want to be (spread, grind it out, etc). Heck, I don't even think Synder knows what type of team they want to be.

Cindy Boren: The draft is there for a reason. It's a way to really improve your team for the long haul. I think you're right on every point.

Angelos to Snyder: As a Baltimorean, I will admit a certain amount of schadenfreude, but really a few years ago I was hoping your team might finally turn the corner. Sorry to see that Snyder has become the new Angelos. As if one wasn't enough.

Cindy Boren: Thanks, hon.

Arizona Bay, Ariz.: Who do you think the worse owner is: Peter Angelos or Dan Synder?

Cindy Boren: I don't ask those sorts of questions. Not fair. Besides, I used to work in New York City...I've seen a lot.

Washington, D.C.: I am sick of the quotes from players saying "we just started playing too late in the game." This demonstrates that the team still does not get it. Maybe instead, the Lions started playing prevent because they had dominated the Redskins so badly that their goal was simply to hold on to the lead. Is our team really so arrogant, and so clueless to think that the Lions were playing the same aggressive defense they had all game in those last two drives? This was not a close game.

Cindy Boren: Not nearly as close as the score indicated.

Identity? Medium: For you, Lavar Arrington, and others that say the Redskins don't have an identity, I would argue that they do. But the identity is: Medium. Just like the coach. That is why the Redskins don't blow out teams they should, or play a team like the Giants close on the road. They just stay Medium.

Cindy Boren: Maybe a little under medium.

Richmond, Va.: Two Observations:

1) the skins ran from a tight formation on the 4th down play yesterday. Big mistake. They do not have a powerful enough o-line to make that play work, so they were outnumbered and outmuscled. That play will fail for them 99 times out of 100.

2) Campbell has a good arm but needs time to react to the defense. In the red zone, things happen quickly and Campbell is not a read and react type of QB. That is a major reason for the Redskins' red zone problems.

Cindy Boren: And two good observations.

Washington, D.C.: I disagree with what you and others have said about yesterday's playcalling.

While I agree entirely with the questions about his decision to go for it against the Rams on 4th down instead of taking the field goal, the two key decisions this week were sound.

Why not try to punch it in from the 1 or 2? If they settled for the field goal, that might have had the same effect on the team. Here we go again, not being able to convert. It was also entirely reasonable to expect that the much vaunted defense could hold the Lions, instead of a 99 yard drive.

Similarly, the decision to push back Hanson was sound. Again, the much vaunted defense should have been able to stop the Lions on a 3rd and 17 (or whatever it was).

The defense let down Zorn on those two calls. That and the terrible offensive line.

Cindy Boren: Why not take the 3, get a defensive stop, get the ball back and score again -- even if it's only another 3? They had the ball for nearly four minutes that first drive. I would argue that not getting into the end zone was so deflating that we could feel it in the office here. We said, watch, Detroit is going to 99...

Re: Draft: All that may be true, but scouting through SportsCenter is a great cost cutting measure.

Cindy Boren: But the commercials are so annoying.

Washington, D.C.: Detroit deserves credit for beating a team they should have beaten. The next step is for the Redskins to admit that they are not a very good football team right now. They need to get back to basics -- because it is obvious they have not mastered the basics.

The offensive line can't block, only one receiver seems capable of getting open and catching passes, and the running backs are incapable of getting tough yards in the red zone.

Cindy Boren: Indeed. The Redskins need to learn how to beat the teams they should beat -- handily. Without a forceful offensive line, it's going to be tough.

London: I'm aware that you can move the ball better against a prevent defense, but why isn't this team going to no-huddle to change things up? That seems to be a pace that Campbell likes and does well with. And it gives him a chance to call more of his own plays... oh wait, maybe I just answered my own question.

Cindy Boren: Hey, that's my job! But Campbell does seem about 63 percent more comfortable with the no-huddle.

Columbia SC: I watched the Baltimore Colts destroy the St. Louis Cardinals last night. I watch games like that and just oozed.

The Colts, yeah, they're good and Peyton Manning is insanely intelligent for a quarterback. But the Cards flat out STANK last night, and they still came off better than the Redskins.

Just sayin.

Cindy Boren: So...Baltimore has two teams now??? Sorry, had to take that shot. (And, I believe I punched it over for the six.) Perhaps you are reacting to the fact that the Cards have some stellar talent in the wide receivers, the offensive line and in a QB who knows the game, even if he might not be stellar any more.

Hey, where are the Todd Collins questions???

Hoboken, N.J.: Proposed Trade: Synder, Cerrato, Friedgen, Lifetime free tolls for Baltimore area residents on the Inter-County Connector and 3 bushels of crabs for the Ravens Front Office.

Cindy Boren: Good luck with that.

Washington, DC: The decision to go for it on 4th down at the 1 or 2 yard line was statistically sound.

The conventional wisdom about "leaving points on the board" is wrong.

There was an article in the WSJ about this just last week. That article, based on 2008 data, showed that going for it within 5 yards of the goal line gives the team going for it an additional 3.95 net points.

Yes, sometimes you come up empty, other times you score the touchdown. If you go for it consistently, you will score more points in the long-run.

Cindy Boren: But the thing with stats is that sometimes they need to be applied to personnel and not just situationally. You can come up empty, give up the ball and have the other team drive in for a TD that deflates you.

Helena, Mont.: Re:comments on the Redskins' name, all I'll say is that several Montana tribal teams have similar names such as Braves, Warriors, etc. I know several Indians who are big Redskins fans and think the name and logo are just fine. If people are really upset with derogatory images, they'd be going after the Cleveland Indians.

Cindy Boren: Thanks.

Washington, D.C.: I think you (and most of Redskins nation) overestimate the defense on paper this year -- the decline in the secondary more than trumps the addition of Haynesworth. Having said that, a team should be able to score 20 against Detroit ...

Cindy Boren: I thought that the improved pass rush (Haynesworth and Orakpo -- oops! They're using him at LB!) would make up for that. Silly me.

Washington, D.C.: I am from Detroit. When will Redskins fans accept the fact that they got beat. For one of the players to say "we are the better team" is ridiculous. The stats say different. The Lions won, the Redskins lost! Deal with it.

Cindy Boren: You have a point.

Atlanta: Up the gut is no longer a strength but throwing to Moss, Cooley, etc still is. Especially throwing the ball TO the end zone. Hook & ladder just sad. Wasn't that St Olaf coach supposed to give percentages of what will work? Maybe his calculator is broken.

washingtonpost.com: D.C. Sports Bog: On Doug Flutie, Chris Meidt and Chase Daniel (Washington Post, Aug. 26)

Cindy Boren: The hook and ladder really was the deal breaker for me. Sheesh.

Dover, Del.: Can fans vote an owner out???

Cindy Boren: Nope. But they can try.

Starts with the name: Everything about this team starting with the name is wrong. Change that and go from there.

Cindy Boren: Thanks!

Columbia S.C.: I'm a longtime Redskins fanatic, but I'll not buy anything this owner will put forward to sell.

I know what's all being said about The Daniel, the Vinny, The Zorny, The Jasony. Some of it hits, some of it misses with me. What I want to understand is this idea that each loss becomes a crushing identity crisis. The harder the Redskins supposedly dig for answers, the deeper they get in their morass and self-pity.

That said, I can't imagine this is a workplace I really want to be in. Nobody's laughing, nobody's enjoying their work. It's all about looking at film, trying to do better.

What about the fun? These are professionals, but they're at work playing a game. They're being paid millions to do what most of us could only hope to do. Sure there's work and preparation involved, but how about a little laughter? Look at those sidelines and you see a whole bunch of sad faces. Graying, thinning hair, too.

The 1991 Super Bowl team, always the benchmark for Redskins team, was a hardworking bunch of guys who were running on a very conservative, not very intuitive playbook. But you could tell they were having fun, and they got a heck of a reward.

That The Danny and The Vinny have to go is without question, but they're not going anywhere. Zorny's OK, Jason Campbell is a much better QB than he's getting flak for, but this just isn't the year. That said, guys, lighten up a little.

Cindy Boren: This argument is a combination of "Lighten up, Francis" and "Loosen up, Sandy baby." And I like it!

Night time?: Cindy,

Tell me a story - a story where this all gets better. Please?

Then put me to bed.

Mr. S.

Cindy Boren: It's almost 1 p.m. You can't go to bed at 1 p.m.

State of Dismay: Zorn was a strange choice to begin with, as everyone knows. Firing him mid-season would be a mistake. He could well be a good coach, but he needs mentoring and supervision. He can't get that from the front office, which is itself dysfunctional. Snyder is a successful businessman. He must recognize when a business is not producing a successful product. To paraphrase Einstein, the kind of thinking that got us into this mess, isn't going to get us out of this mess.

So... bringing in a new coach or new players isn't the answer- it's the same old thinking. Getting a new owner is not an option. The only thing that's left is turning over decisions to a truly respected, veteran GM, who will mentor Zorn and build the organization from the ground up.

I don't have much of a hope Snyder will do this, but if he's a good businessman, he needs to see this is the option that's left on the table.

Cindy Boren: The 51st state? Thanks for your comment.

Starting Over, again: OK, let me see... we went from Norv Turner 3WR offense to the Schottenheimer power offense. Got rid of the small, quick guys for the big power guys. Then to Spurrier, so we got rid of the big guys for small quick guys. Then back to power running under Gibbs, now to a WCO under Zorn... So what comes next? All I know is whatever causes the existing roster to be most worthless...

Cindy Boren: At some point, just hitting Reset no longer works.

Fairweatherville: Cindy,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Fans need to vote with their dollars. If enough die-hard Skins fans stop going to games and stop buying Skins merchandise that fills The Danny's coffers, perhaps he will be forced to stop playing GM and hire someone who actually knows what they're doing?

Cindy Boren: Really, it's the only power fans have...but boy, it's the big one. Fans have hand in this relationship.

Washington, D.C.: Hello Cindy,

I was wondering who you think is the best 1-2 team right now, and where does the redskins stand in that ranking?

Cindy Boren: The Steelers. (I just asked my podmates and got a "Raiders" and a "Lions" in response. The Lions fan is still drunk...) Can't say where the Redskins fall...they have three such cupc------ easy games up next.

Los Angeles: Longtime Redskins fan (sufferer) in LA. I know this is heresy, but I get sick of all the Snyder bashing. Clearly, he runs the team to make money (as he should), but he's certainly not cheap like Ralph Wilson or insane like Al Davis. He definitely wants to win, unlike some NFL owners who simply don't care. In any event, we're stuck with him. Hopefully, after the Zorn debacle, he'll hire a competent GM.

Also, I don't exactly remember the Redskins flourishing under prior ownership in the waning Cook years. And at least Snyder didn't build that monstrosity, FedEx Field. FedEx was put up in a hurry to maximize revenue and it shows. It's the worst stadium I've ever attended.

Cindy Boren: Hey, LA. Thanks for joining us.

Stop whining about Danny: Danny spends money and pretty much leaves his coaches alone. What more do you want in an owner? Butterscotch kisses?

Cindy Boren: Redskins fans, want to answer this guy?

Vienna, Va.: Cindy, I am sure you get the same question over and over again..At what point is Vinny Cerrato held accountable for the structure of the Redskins ?

Cindy Boren: I believe he is accountable right now. This season is his and I'm sure he is aware of that.

Lighten up, Francis!: With that Stripes quote, you are now My Favorite Sportswriter!

Cindy Boren: Yay! So I've got that going for me...that and the fact that the Dalai Lama told me that on my deathbed I'd have total consciousness, which is nice.

Re: voting with your wallet: Okay, so it takes me 9 years to get off the waiting list - do you think that I am not going to keep those - I am younger than Danny, so I should see a new owner at some point in my lifetime. So I don't use the tickets - and he gets my $$ and I'm out $1500. A boycott sounds good in practice, but never going to happen. He's got us.

Cindy Boren: See what I mean? When you choose a team, you fall in love. I respect that.

Woodbridge, Va.: The Rams and Lions games were supposed to be cupcakes. What do you have to say about that?

Cindy Boren: That I am sure that, in the annals of emergency medicine, someone somewhere has choked to death on a cupcake. That's what I say.

Alexandria, Va.: Maybe I'm just not as sports savvy as your other writers/readers, but I fail to see how this is Dan Snyder's fault. Certainly other winning teams aren't owned by football geniuses because owning a team is extremely expensive. I think it's convenient to blame him, but really we have a team of mostly so-so players who are not used to their best abilities by a coach who just seems (for lack of a better word) like a nerd who gets flustered when the perfect plays he's created don't work out right.

Cindy Boren: Thanks -- want to get a lot of perspective up here and I'm running short of time.

Bend, Ore.: Cindy--

Have you considered getting a license in grief counseling? Seems like part of your regular job now.

I cringe at the prospect of another coach, another offensive system, another cycle of turnover in personnel. Best hope for Skins is for Zorn to get together and fast. otherwise, it's another couple of years before a new coach can get the team back on track.

Wondering if Redskins are looking at bringing in another OT? Campbell seems to be under constant pressure. Would they have to see what they have in Mike Williams before they bring another guy, like Jon Runyan?

Cindy Boren: My advice to you, start drinking heavily. (I'm hitting all the classic movies today.) The Redskins seem determined to not bring in anyone else for the line.

Just remember, it could be worse: The Redskins could be wearing those godawful Seahawks uniforms.

washingtonpost.com: Seattle Seahawks Alternate Uniforms

Cindy Boren: Amen.

Sioux Falls, S.D.: The Redskins are favored by 7.5 over Tampa Bay. What am I missing. I'm betting the house on Tampa Bay, the Redskins have quit on us.

Cindy Boren: Tampa really is dreadful. At least with the Lions you KNEW they were gonna win one and soon, just because. Tampa is really, I repeat, dreadful.

Anonymous: Im tired of hearing all the haterade thrown at Snyder, saying it all comes from the top. You know what? Snyder actually has good personnel on the field, but Zorn not only doesn't know what to do with this talent but also decisions in crucial situations, how do you accept that penalty when the lions have been marching down the field from the 1 yard line.

That decision will be in my mind forever, just as Gibbs calling two timeouts will be.

Cindy Boren: If there's going to be a two timeout moment, it might be the Danny Smith moment.

NW, Washington, D.C.: Dear Redskins,

Although you try my patience over and over again, I love you unconditionally. Always have, always will.

- Life-long Redskins fan

Cindy Boren: This is a nice one to wind up on. See what I mean about the decisions you make with your heart? Thanks for joining me here today; until next Monday, see you on Twitter and at Redskins Insider. Have a great week (and happy new year).

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity