The 'Lost' Hour: Season 1 and 2 Review

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
Washington Post "Lost" Bloggers
Friday, October 2, 2009; 2:00 PM

Postponed: This chat has been rescheduled for Friday, Oct. 2 at 2 p.m. ET.

Join "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney this summer to discuss "Lost's" first and second seasons. Each week, we'll assign a few episodes to watch. Then join Liz and Jen each Thursday at 3 p.m. ET to talk about what happened and how those early shows tie in (or not) to "Lost's" looming final season.

For the Thursday, Oct. 1 discussion, watch these season two episodes: "S.O.S.," "Two for the Road" and "?."

Submit your questions, comments and theories (no matter how far-fetched) before or during the discussion.

Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006. When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com. For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

Liz Kelly: Afternoon. Thanks for following us to Friday. We were in the midst of readying the new "Lost" Time/Space feature for launch and totally crashing on the deadline. It's still a work in progress though, so your comments, suggestions and additions are very welcome.

Three good episodes this week -- despite the fact that we had some pretty sad material. This was definitely not Hurley's week.

Without further ado, I'll pass the mic to Jen -- who is in the midst of tailing U2 around the country. Let's see if she can seamlessly work a U2 song title into every answer.

Jen?

Jen Chaney: Liz, it's all because of you, I am.

And readers, all of you should thank Liz for her willingness to do this chat, with or without me.

Wow, that's going to get annoying quickly, isn't it?

Ricard, US: Will no one speculate on the secrets of Richard Alpert being revealed in season 6? That perhaps they may play a big part (or is this only wishful thinking)? He has no double, no evil twin, no good twin, possibly dates back further than Jacob and MiB Esau, and the cliffhanger in the present seems to leave him in some sort of position to do something about the dead-Locke-in-casket, although evil-zombie-Locke has already provoked his dastardly deed. He seems to be alternately clueless and all-knowing, modern and ageless, patient and active. Is he to remain an enigma?

Jen Chaney: I don't know if he'll remain an enigma, but the fact that Nestor Carbonell is becoming a regular cast member in this last season suggests that Richard will figure more prominently this season, which implies that we may get more answers about his backstory.

Now what those answers are, I am not sure. The notion that the relevations will be crucial to that last season seems likely to me. Liz, are you able to be more specific than vague, 'ol me?

Liz Kelly: I'm afraid not, except to say that since Richard Alpert is one of my favorite characters, I'm stoked that he'll have a bigger part in the final season. And if we get more of his backstory, as Jen suggests, I'm hoping that will also give us a bit more insight into the island's history and the Black Rock, for example.

Ringto, NE: Does anyone know where to download a ringtone of the LOST theme song (for lack of a better word)? I think the ominous sound would be a great ringtone for receiving text messages.

Jen Chaney: Honestly, I have had this same thought but have been too lazy to do the research. My cell has some Lost music on it but it costs $2 to download and it's some weird, "pretend" version of the score that I don't like.

Anyone else had better luck?

Liz Kelly: A quick Google search revealed several leads for finding said ringtones. I can't say that any of those leads appeared to be official ABC-sanctioned sites.

Newak, Del.: Any thoughts on LOST wanna be FLASH FORWARD, the show with the nerd creators (David Goyer and Brannon Braga) and many LOST refugees?

Jen Chaney: I watched the pilot, but in a distracted fashion. And I missed the second episode due to a previous engagement with U2.

I have to say the pilot didn't totally draw me in, but as I said, I wasn't giving it my full attention. I plan to revisit it courtesy of my DVR before delivering my final answer.

Liz Kelly: I've got "Flash Forward" saved on the ol' DVR, too, so I'm going to reserve my judgment. I'd just like to note that, as of yet, this answer is devoid of U2 song titles.

Jen Chaney: Still haven't found what you're looking for in this answer, Liz?

Austin: I just want you both to know that moving my island to Friday threw my Thursday all out of whack...I've been adfrift, and, well, lost all day. I realize it's not quite on topic but I would still like to know how the submarine finds the island every week and where it ends up, etc. How many places have submarine birthing other than Disneyland? Wouldn't Widmore just have to follow the sub to find the island again?

Liz Kelly: Dude, apologies. And I just want to say I'm not familiar with anywhere that has submarine birthing, tho I imagine some would pay a pretty penny to see that. As for submarine berthing I would imagine Disneyland isn't the only place for a sub to dock. Didn't Dr. No have a place near his Jamaica home for subs to tie up?

As for how it found the island, didn't the Looking Glass have something to do with guiding it in via some kind of signal? Or am I like totally making that up?

And I'm not so sure Widmore would have been able to track the sub -- remember that most sub travelers were drugged into an unconscious state because of the "rough crossing." Well, what if that rough crossing involved some kind of portal in time or space.

Oh, did someone say

Time/Space

?

Jen Chaney: Well, let's think about this. The sub seemed to be in regular use in the 1970s. We also know that Juliet used it around about 2001 when she arrived on the island.

My impression -- and I could be wrong about this -- is that the subs were used more frequently in the '70s. Post-Incident, I suspect they only were used at certain times, perhaps when it was deemed ideal for travel, much the way our Losties came back to the island on that especially well-timed Ajeera flight.

That said, you raise a good and important question about why Widmore can't (allegedly) find the island. Is it a question of him not being able to find it, or did something happen that prevents him personally from finding it? As Penny once said, with enough money, you can find anyone (or, to paraphrase slightly, anything). Widmore certainly has plenty of money, not to mention a connection to Hawking. It seems to me that maybe something other than his inability to find the island may be keeping him from going back there himself.

Then again, I could be making up stuff, too.

Arlington, Va.: You know, I just can't stand Michael. And these episodes really crystalize it for me. I'm sorry, but killing TWO people who could have helped you? He is such a Judas figure to me.

Liz Kelly: Poor Michael. So misunderstood. Like Ana Lucia.

I get what you're saying and respect your right to dislike him intensely. I don't share that dislike. Michael is a man willing to do anything to rescue his son from the clutches of the Others -- who at this point in the show are still shadowy people of questionable motives. I can't say that I agree with his methodology, but in his mind he is doing all of this wrong in the service of what he sees as a greater good -- getting his son back. It is only proof of how pushed to the edge he is -- he was held captive by the Others, they made him promises, they likely threatened him. He knows that trading Ana Lucia's life -- and Libby's -- for Walt is not a fair bargain, but in his mind doesn't see any other way. For him, even a small chance of not recovering Walt is just not an option.

Jen Chaney: I'm with Liz. I understand why Michael's character might be irritating, but his motives are understandable. We know that he essentially had his son taken away from him. He's now asked to be his father again, and the last thing he wants to do is lose Walt. So, in his mind, he's doing what he has to do. His kid comes first.

Not trying to justify murder here, just explaining Michael's motivations.

P.S. I find Ana Lucia way more annoying than Michael.

Liz Kelly: P.P.S. I like Ana Lucia. Like I said, misunderstood.

Jen Chaney: Misunderstood? Fine. But understandably annoying.

She's my Kate, Liz.

Lexington, KY: Re: the ash border: Wasn't it actually Hurley who broke the ash border not John and Ben? I remember at one point Hurley came upon the cabin and ran out when it started getting a creepy inside. I though when he ran out he ran through the border.

Regardless, I'm sure that border is key to Jacob and MIB. Everyone who finds Jacob's cabin notices it. And I distinctly remember from our Season 5 chat someone said that while a circle of salt keeps evil out, a circle of ash keeps evil in.

....ok, I'm done....back to our Season 2 musings.

Jen Chaney: Oh yeah, you might be right.

It all comes back to Hurley, doesn't it?

--

It was Season 4, the episode "Cabin Fever" when Hurley ran through the ash line after an eye (whose eye we determined to be either Desmond or Locke) looked at him suddenly through the window. He got scared and ran through it. I wonder if, going forward from that episode, we see a real switch from then on in Locke...

Jen Chaney: Yes, we talked about this last week and were debating about who originally broke the ash line.

The idea that Locke started to change once the ash line ruptured is a good one and I agree that it sounds like a plausible explanation for the MIB possession. And I think you're right that it was Hurley; that's what I remember, although I do need to refresh my season four memories a bit.

Liz Kelly: What's that? You need to review Season 4? Have I mentioned our new "Lost" Time/Space feature? Just isolate the information to season 4 and click your way through the action.

Jen Chaney: What's this, you say? We have a TimeSpace feature?

Wow, DO tell me more!

Rewi, ND: When is the Flash Forward chat?

Liz Kelly: Apparently right now.

Washington, DC: Matthew Fox stated in a recent interview that in the final season, the characters of Jack Shephard and John Locke "will come head to head."

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I think I saw read the interview you mean.

I am not sure how revelatory that is, really. I mean, don't Jack and Locke come head to head at least once per season?

I am curious to see how the "man of science vs. man of faith" issue is ultimately resolved.

Liz Kelly: Ohhh, I thought they were referring to the revelation that we'll find out in a flashback that Jack and Locke were actually born as conjoined twins, attached at the crown. (Obviously, Jack got the hair.)

Jen Chaney: And I actually thought it meant they'd play an intense game of Head to Head Football. (Am I the only one who remembers this '80s handheld video game? Yeah, probably.)

Arlington, Va.: Totally off topic, but do you know when the schedule for season 6 will be posted? I used to watch Lost with a group of friends, and we were fanatical about it. Alas, we all moved to different parts of the country throughout Lost's tenure, and for the series (tear) finale, we are all meeting up in San Francisco to watch together! We used to design our own drinks for Lost viewing (I once made Dharma beer labels and put them on bottles of Sam Adams), we had theme dinner nights (airplane food--chicken teriyaki with a fruit cup, island food--we bought a coconut and had to hack in it). So needless to say we are all desperately waiting for the schedule to buy tickets and think of the ULTIMATE LOST THEMED VIEWING PARTY!

Suggestions for themes will be appreciated! I seriously love you guys and your chats!

Jen Chaney: Wow, that is awesome! If you weren't meeting in San Francisco, I would beg you to invite Liz and I to your finale party.

I haven't seen a schedule. In fact, I don't think the official date of the season premiere has even been announced. You seen anything, Liz?

Liz Kelly: Nope. The only thing we know so far is that the season is skedded to run from January - May and that we'll have one extra hour -- 18 total.

Philadelphia, Pa.: Widmore can't follow the sub back. The homing beacon or whatever stopped working after the events of the S2 finale. Remember in S3 when Ben told Jack that he could never return once the sub left?

Jen Chaney: Right, but Widmore had been trying to find the island before that and hadn't come back, unless I am forgetting something.

So why not?

Liz Kelly: I like the idea that something else prevented Widmore from finding the island, but I'm wondering if we're overthinking this. The sub could have had some kind of radar jamming capability that prevented it from being tracked.

And remember, Widmore wasn't trying to find the island so he could go there. As far as we know, Widmore sent his freighter team there to nab Ben Linus and remove him from the island.

Jen Chaney: I thought Widmore said something about wanting to find it or go back and being unable to do so.

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Man, I wish there were some sort of feature on washingtonpost.com that would let me review crucial events from past seasons...

All right. Seriously. We'll stop with the self-promoting.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. As soon as I share this link to the fabulous new "Lost" Time/Space interactive whirlygig.

Portland, OR: Yeah, whatever happened to that church that Eko and Charlie were building? That seemed like a pretty random idea that never really went anywhere.

Of course, both the builders died later so that might have had something to do with it.

Liz Kelly: Right. Also, one might say that life got in the way. Eko, as we learned in "?," found his new calling as the pusher of the button and pretty much stuck to the hatch until it's explosion.

Jen Chaney: I think Eko was building the church as penance for essentially destroying Yemi's church, and to assert the notion that he really was a priest.

But yeah, kinda dropped off the 'ol Lost radar once (spoiler alert) Eko bit it.

Widmore again: Whoa, just had a major brainstorm. What if Widmore and the man in black are connected, even the same person somehow, and the loophole mentioned in the last episode was what enabled Widmore to get back to the island? A big stretch I know, but interesting to think about.

Jen Chaney: Well, this show *never* asks us to make complete stretches.

That is a really interesting theory.

Liz Kelly: It is an interesting theory. I'd need to think it through, but let's do a quick gut check -- last time we spoke about Widmore there seemed to be some softening from Jen, me and some of you about his motives. We were starting to wonder if he was a bad guy, after all. But the MiB... I dunno, I just don't see anything but malevolence in that guy. Finding it hard to put those two opposing images together in one entity.

Seattle, home of VIA coffee: Micheal in a way is fighting his own inner demons - his own actions and inactions in not being a father to his son. To the point where he's driven insane enough to justify allowing others to die due to his own inactions that let things get to this point.

But does that mean that the dog represents the island tempting his son as Satan tempted Jesus? Tempting to think so, but I doubt it.

Jen Chaney: Wait, are you suggesting that Vincent is Satan? I'm sorry, we can't stand for that and I doubt our readers can either.

These are the same people who voted to save Vincent over Aaron -- a defenseless baby, mind you -- in Lost Madness.

Liz Kelly: Well, you know, yellow labs do have that bad rep and all.

Seattle, Wash.: Looking back on Richard Alpert from today's perspective, we know that much of what he'll do is caused by the Other. And that he really doesn't have as much knowledge as he appears to have.

So does that mean he's somehow Outside the Timeline? A prior wanderer brought to the shores before who is battered about like Odysseus was tossed around the sea by the Gods?

Jen Chaney: Well, I think it's pretty clear that he exists outside the timeline in a sense, simply because he doesn't age.

But he still plays a role in a lot of things that happen on the island. So in that sense, his actions are certainly relevant to the way events unfold, if that makes sense.

Liz Kelly: And, as the questioner points out, he seems to not be possessed of the omniscience that Jacob and the MIB seem to have. Perhaps if we assume Jacob and the MIB to be opposing sides in a coming war, we should think of Richard as a sort of neutral -- the Switzerland of "Lost" -- who is just trying to ensure the island's survival.

Jen Chaney: I think he may be less neutral than we think. I mean, he did go way the heck out of his way to try to bring young Locke to the island.

And he bumped off Juliet's ex with a bus to make her come to the island. He's willing to go to some pretty extreme lengths for a neutral guy.

Liz Kelly: Maybe my terminology was wrong. What I was getting at is that I don't get the sense that Alpert has chosen a side -- Jacob or the MIB. Ben or Widmore. Black or white. He's looking at a bigger picture somehow and I'm hoping we find out more about that come January.

Jen Chaney: Oh, okay. The fact that he was so invested in Locke coming to the island makes me think maybe he's on a side, but we just don't know what it is yet.

But I hear what you're sayin', Liz.

Widmore: Maybe it's just the fact that he's persona non grata on the island that keeps him from going back. Maybe he has to find a loophole too.

Liz Kelly: Right, that could be it, too.

Austin II: Considering we never see where the sub comes from, it could be "birthing" -- OK, maybe not.

This always bothered me probably too much but if you have a hidden location with a known supply chain, it's not hidden, you just follow the supply. The sub has to be crewed from somewhere. We know the sub was being used up to the point Locke blowed it up real good. If the same people in Widmore's time owned the sub, just wondering how he just couldn't go take it over and make the crew take him to the island.

Liz Kelly: You make a good point. One for which I don't have an answer.

Jen Chaney: Right. The whole sub thing is a bit of a head scratcher.

Beltsville, Md.: Michael couldn't think of a plan for releasing Henry/Ben that didn't include killing someone? That's what makes him despicable.

Liz Kelly: Well, remember, his killing Ana Lucia and Libby was also a handy way to get Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros off the show, so it isn't as if it was up to him. There was a bit of Deus Ex Machina at work.

Jen Chaney: Or deus ex LindeCuse.

Arlington,VA: So---do you think the writers will do something special on the 108th episode? Oh, those numbers....

Jen Chaney: I have to think they will. Man, this next season can't start soon enough. Although, at the same time, I kind of want to prolong the wait.

The idea of "Lost" ending is almost too painful for me to contemplate.

Liz Kelly: I'm able to contemplate it. I love it, but I'd rather see it go out with a wicked awesome ending rather than slowly deteriorate through countless more seasons, like most shows.

Jen Chaney: Thanks for joining us today. We'll wrap up our season two recap next week with one more (chat) in the name of love. (Had to close with another U2 reference.)

As for what's next "Lost"-chat wise? We'll fill you in next week.

Liz Kelly: And for next week, we'll complete our season 2 re-watch "Three Minutes"and the two-hour season finale, "Live Together, Die Alone."

Namaste.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2009 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity