washingtonpost.com
The Redskins: Jim Zorn fired, offseason changes, more

Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, January 4, 2010; 2:30 PM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Jan. 4 at 2 p.m. ET to take your questions about the Redskins firing of coach Jim Zorn, his possible replacement and more.

Cindy Boren: Good afternoon! Thanks for joining me a little later than usual on this quiet, placid, almost Zen-like Monday. Let's chat, shall we

Stratford, CT: Hi Cindy, I heard rumors that Mike Zimmer is in line to be the next D-coordinator, any truth to this? Will Blache leave on his own? Is Jerry Gray out as well?

Cindy Boren: I've heard that rumor. I've also heard the name of Bob Slowik, who worked with Shanahan in Denver mentioned, too. Zimmer is the better pick and is not under contract; Redskins would have to wait to talk to him until after the Bengals' postseason is finished. DeAngelo Hall, in our voluminous coverage of the day's news, says he thinks Greg Blache is going to retire; did you see the Comcast footage of him walking into Redskins Park this morning? He was grinning like kid on Christmas morning -- or a guy who's headed for his cabin with a really nice rifle the owner gave him. Not sure yet what will happen with Jerry Gray. I would think he'd be leaving, too.

Alexandria, Va. : Did Bruce Allen's comments sound like more of the same from Redskins management? He wants immediate success and more commitment from the players already here. There's no housecleaning coming. Has Dan has just hired a new mouthpiece?

Cindy Boren: Certainly there's always the chance that this is just the renewal of a cycle with the Redskins...oh, look; it's the infernal equinox. Even if it is, didn't it at least seem like the organizational approach would be more logical, more methodical? It felt like a plan was coming together, maybe a multiyear plan, but a plan nonetheless.

Silver Spring, Md.: Cindy, do you get the impression that Mr. Allen does indeed have the power to hire anyone he thinks is head coach material, or does The Danny still get to decide?

Cindy Boren: Come now, you know the answer to that question. The guy paid a lot of money for this team. Perhaps he is enough in awe of the Allen name that he will defer. The best you can hope for, I think, are mutual decisions. Allen is likely to be less of a yes man than Cerrato; his record is one of prudence and shrewd decision-making.

Fairfax, Va.: Any scoop or what do you think of a Brandon Marshall/Shanahan reunion in D.C. next season?

Cindy Boren: No scoopage on that one yet. Gotta get the coach in place first. Are you really ready for another Brandon here so soon after, you know, Mr. Lloyd (who actually caught a couple of passes yesterday)?

Phoenix, AZ: Is the season over? Did we make the playoffs?

I guess not, huh? Well, at least Zorn will be able to build on this, and the team will have some coaching continuity for next year, right?

Cindy Boren: Yes, I look for big things in Year 3 of the Zorn era. What's that you say? Oops!

Cabin of Redskins Plane to Denver: funny comment on Redskins Insider.. Maese wrote that the Redskins plane touched down in Denver this morning.. A blogger remarked..

"I didn't think that plane could land.

Being a Redskins plane, I assumed it was incapable of touchdowns."

washingtonpost.com: Redskins plane headed home from Rockies (updated)

Cindy Boren: I'm not sure who wrote that, but the Redskins Insider bloggers are stinkin' geniuses and flat-out funny bunnies. Er, hamsters. Unlike the Redskins' season, that one was extremely well-played.

Anchorage, Alaska: It's 2:39 p.m. and Cindy is still not online with us.

DON'T TELL ME SHE'S BEEN FIRED!

First Jim. Now Cindy.

When will the blood letting end???

Thanks.

Cindy Boren: Silly, you're on Alaska time; I'm actually about four hours early. I figured I had a bit of a buffer because Wilbon always, um, liberally interprets the clock. Wouldn't you know he was Peter Punctual today?

Fairfax, Va.: Will Shanahan bring Brandon Lloyd back to DC?

Cindy Boren: Yes. And Champ Bailey.

Fredericksburg, Va.: So, what's the chance that Bugel stays?

washingtonpost.com: Season finale could mark end of the line for passionate Bugel

Cindy Boren: I do not believe that he will. I don't know this for certain, but I think the entire coaching staff will be replacd.

Bowie, Md.: Will The Post be devoting coverage to the Ravens during their playoff run?

Cindy Boren: Oh, yes! Mark Maske will cover Baltimore's game at New England on Sunday. We'll take it from there.

Gloucester, Mass.: If Brandon Marshall does reunite with Shanahan as a Redskin WR... Ironies of ironies...Marshall was acquired by the Broncos using one of the Redskin's picks Snyder traded to Denver to move up and select Jason Campbell in 2005.

Cindy Boren: I love the way you guys never you let go...you track those picks like a certain airplane that's about to touch down (sorry) at Dulles.

Good QB Coach for JC?: As lousy a season as it was, Campbell seems to have made progress. Do you think Zorn gets any credit for this?

Cindy Boren: I'm not sure he wants any. Did you hear him Sunday nght talking about Campbell's progress? Talk about constructive criticism. Given the chance to be glowing and take some credit for Campbell's progress, he did not.

Washington, D.C.: Now that the Redskins have the #4 pick, do they take the best Tackle or do they go after the big name QB?

Cindy Boren: Can't they please, purdy please, trade the pick for a bunch of others? No? Why not??? Please???

Washington, DC: Something worries me. Marty Schottenheimer, Norv Turner and Joe Gibbs all did better working for someone other than Snyder, than they did when they worked for Snyder. I realize that's a limited sample size. But if Snyder is capable of dragging those three coaches down, why should we think he won't drag Shanahan down as well?

Cindy Boren: You raise a valid point, given Shanahan's record after the retirement of John Elway. Certainly, it is possible that Allen-Shannahan will not have the kind of success here they've had elsewhere. But don't you at least like their chances better than Snyder-Cerrato-Zorn?

No expectations!! : The one thing I would ask all fans (and Mike Wise) is to temper expectations no matter what happens off the field. Each year we win the offseason Superbowl and some people expect huge things but the team does not deliver (see Spurrier, Gibbs II, Haynesworth, etc.). Right now no one is going crazy about how great we will be next year, but mark my words, if Shanahan comes in and Snyder shows he is giving up GM control, people will be saying we are back! Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. Let's make them prove it on the playing field before anointing them champions.

Cindy Boren: What does the offseason Lombardi Trophy look like? I don't see this being a one-year rebuilding project. I think it's going to take a couple. Certainly Bruce Allen tempered his comments today. This property needs to be rebuilt from the foundation up.

Scotch Plains, NJ: I expect a full changeover in the assistants, but doesn't a guy like Danny Smith deserve to stick around. He seems like the kind of guy any coach would want on his staff.

Cindy Boren: You'd think so, but one never knows who Mike Shanahan or the new coach will want to bring on board.

Arlington, Va.: Will Zorn land on his feet somewhere or is his NFL career over?

Cindy Boren: People keep thinking he'll land in Cleveland with Mike Holmgren. I'm not so sure, though. Perhaps he gets a gig in Seattle. Those are the two more realistic landing spots, I think.

Shirlington: Just curious - of the current O-linemen - who will most likely be with the Skins next year?

Cindy Boren: Bueller? Bueller?

Samuels, Dockery, maybe Mike Williams as a second-stringer. BTW, I'm ready to declare the Chad Rinehart experiment ovah. (How come no one has thanked me today for Orakpo?)

Baltimore: What I would love to know is, what few words did Norv Turner say to Jim Zorn when they shook hands after the game? Would any of those words included "Snyder" and various epithets?

I for one am tremendously pleased for Turner, who resurrected himself after the Redskins and the Raiders.

Cindy Boren: I was trying my best to lipread and Turner didn't appear to say much of anything, although a smile was playing at the corners of his mouth.

BTW, Redskins One has landed at Dulles bearing a certain dude from Colorado.

Orakpo: Thanks for Orakpo Cindy!

Cindy Boren: You're all very very welcome! Enjoy!

Baltimore: Is it safe to assume the new coach announcement will come in the next few days? Danny will want to continue some PR while he can get it before the playoffs, right?

Cindy Boren: It would seem likely to be coming tomorrow or Wednesday, no? Unless Shanahan is just here to see the museums. I'd like to offer him a tour of the Post newsroom.

What does the offseason Lombardi Trophy look like?: It's a Dan Snyder bobble head.

Cindy Boren: That's just wrong.

Cindy Boren: I'm terribly sorry I have to end this chat a little early. I apologize and hope the powers that be will let me do a make-up chat later this week. See you at Redskins Insider and on Twitter.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2010 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive