Haiti Fundraiser, Heidi Montag, Conan's leaving, more -- Celebritology Live

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Liz Kelly
Washington Post Celebritology Blogger
Thursday, January 21, 2010; 2:00 PM

Join Celebritology blogger Liz Kelly LIVE every Thursday at 2 p.m. ET to gab about the latest celebrity pairings (and splittings), rising stars (and falling ones), and get the scoop on the latest gossip making waves across the Web.

Celebritology Live Archive

Liz Kelly: Welcome back to the chat. Lots to talk about today. Conan has a deal. Heidi Montag's album is a massive flop. Angelina Jolie is -- gasp! -- dressing Shiloh like a tomboy. The horror!

Good news -- we're going back into the studio today to tape more episodes of Twits. We should have something to post next Thursday. So stay tuned -- we're tweaking the format a bit and think the vids will be even better. Let's get started, but go easy on me -- I'm nursing a monster cold. Wah.

Wheaton, MD: To be perfectly honest, I'm over Conan O'Brien's whining. He's wealthy to begin with, now he's got $30 million for leaving.

Boo Hoo. People are lying dead under concrete, people are losing their homes, jobs and health insurance, and I'm supposed to care about Conan? Yes, I like his show and his humor, just don't ask me to feel sorry for another rich white guy. And when I lost my job, I didn't get a $60,000 severance (avg of $12m for 200 of his employees)and a possible rehire after a summer enjoying that severance. When he has something to complain about, he can let me know.

Liz Kelly: Well, I see your point -- but remember that everything is relative. I would not in any way equate Conan's situation with the tragic events unfolding in Haiti, but in Conan's world this is a pretty big deal. The guy was (in my view) completely shafted by NBC so now he's making them feel the pain of their decision. Good for him.

Hopelessly out of the loop: Who is Heidi Montag and why do I care?

Liz Kelly: She's a plastic Barbie Doll person who can't sell an album, but -- along with her husband -- has proven to have some skill at selling herself. See this piece I wrote earlier this week for more information.

Confused in LA - Can you explain this Dennis Hopper Deathbed divorce?: Was this a selfless - save the kids thing? Or a selfish screw the wife thing?

Dennis Hopper Divorce Details: The Daughter At The Center Of The Split

Can the Celebritology lawyers fill us in on whether these actions will stand, given his own lawyers are saying he's zonked out on painkillers?

Liz Kelly: I'll defer to our legal team momentarily, but I can't tell you any more than that Huffington Post link details. According to their reporting, Hopper's daughter is behind the divorce action and the reason has to do with -- surprise surprise -- money. But whether or not that's a credible story, I couldn't tell you. Whatever the case, it's a pretty sad situation. As if he isn't already going through enough, now he has to engage in what will likely be an ugly divorce battle.

Fashion for little girls: Shiloh dresses like someone in a boy band--better or worse than Siri Cruise with no coat in kitten heels? You decide.

Liz Kelly: Can we really muster the energy to get over-excited about what the pre-school set is wearing? Shouldn't Shiloh and Suri be encouraged to wear what they want?

When my niece was that age she had an aversion to pockets -- wouldn't wear anything that had a pocket. So no matter how cute she would have looked in some teensy Levis, she mostly wore sweats and little smock dresses.

So Shiloh isn't a girlie girl. Who cares?

Whining quotient: I wouldn't describe Conan as the whiner here, though he has plenty to be riled about. Leno sounds way more whiney, like it's not his fault, those big mean NBC execs forced him to do the primetime gig, and now they are making him look like the bad guy, blah, blah, blah.

Liz Kelly: Yep, he's whining all the way to the bank. Good for him. I hope he does well in his restored time slot.

chick: name me a hot mess I can dream of - over 45 pls. (he should be a boy)

Liz Kelly: A male hot mess over 45? That's hard. I guess Peter O'Toole is a bit geriatric at this point and I'm guessing Michael Lohan isn't your idea of hot.

A little help...?

I need my fix: is there no second post today?

Liz Kelly: I'm sorry. The second post was sacrificed for me to be able to grab a couple of hours of sleep to try to kick this cold. It didn't work.

Rockville: My husband and I have been debating this since, oh, we met and still have not come to a conclusion. Is Clinton Kelly (of What Not to Wear fame) gay? I know it doesn't matter; it's simply a matter of marital discord I'd rather not have in the house. I don't trust what I read online since there are people arguing both sides. What say ye, Liz?

Liz Kelly: As far as I know, Clinton has never directly addressed his sexuality on the show. According to Wikipedia, he's openly gay. But here's what he says on his own Web site (when asked by himself -- yes, himself -- if he's gay):

I don't care why you asked. The question, while stemming from a natural curiosity, could be considered rude and, worse, indicative of an asker's less-evolved nature. When will we stop slapping labels on other people? "That guy's gay." "That girl's a slut." "That dog's humping my leg." If it doesn't concern you, mind your own business.

San Diego, CA: Any updates on the cause of Brittany Murphy's surprising death?

Liz Kelly: Nothing back from the toxicology lab yet, but as recently as today Brittany's mom and husband again spoke out to deny that drugs -- prescription or otherwise -- had anything to do with her death.

Nosy Parker: Are Andy, Opie and Page comforting you during your illness? Do you have photographic evidence?

Liz Kelly: They were, but alas, I had to come into work today for -- among other reasons -- this afternoon's Twits taping. I'm looking forward to more TLC from them this evening.

WWGD?: Sorry you're feeling sick, Liz. Did you check Goop for the latest on home cold remedies? (don't forget to check with your doc first so as not to harm lil'Liz).

Liz Kelly: I didn't, and the Vietnamese Salad Gwynnie cooked up today doesn't sound all that appetizing right now.

But Goop is a spot-on word to describe how I'm feeling right now.

chick: name me a hot mess I can dream of - over 45 pls. (he should be a boy): The Hoff!

Liz Kelly: He's all yours!

Avatar: Hi Liz! Have you seen this? I have minus desire and am already completely sick of James Cameron. What's the deal? Can we have an Avatar-less Oscars? Please?

Liz Kelly: Nope, haven't seen it and honestly I haven't had any desire to see it. Should I? Am I missing out on the film of the decade?

And I'm not so sure "Avatar" will fare as well at the Oscars as it did at the Globes. Very different pool of voters.

San Diego, CA.: Male hottie over 45: That Barack Obama guy. He does that weird show where he just talks. It only appears once every few months. Kind of boring, no idea what he's saying, but he is hot. I think he's over 45.

Liz Kelly: He's not really a hot mess though, is he?

New York, N.Y.: Memo to Clinton Kelly:

I could care less if you're gay or not. But if your dog starts humping my leg, I'm saying something.

Liz Kelly: Well said.

Who knew celebrities could be good parents: What I love about the Shiloh link is that we need experts to tell us that her parents are encouraging age-appropriate behavior. So glad I don't have anybody writing on my parenting.

Liz Kelly: Seriously. As if there were countless parents out there just waiting to have Angie's example validated before they indulge their own little Tom Boys.

Clinton Kelly: Wow, great response. I like him even more.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. I heart that show.

Washington, D.C.: Conan doesn't strike me as whiny. Did you see that Bugatti Mouse bit from last night? Where he spent $1.5 million of NBC's money on a completely boring character? Hi. Larious. That wasn't whiny. Bitter, maybe, but not whiny.

washingtonpost.com: Conan O'Brien's $1.5 Million Bugatti Veyron Mouse

Liz Kelly: I missed it, but I'm trusting Producer Paul on the link.

Sign of the appocalypse?: Jesus and Madonna announce they wish to conceive (the anti-annunciation?). I am really afraid for hummanity.

Liz Kelly: Careful there -- as far as I can tell, this story came from an anonymous "friend" who spilled the beans to The Sun. Hardly a rock solid story.

Let's reserve judgment on this one until we know for sure she's ready to brood, then we can go wild.

RE Wheaton - Conan's not asking for sympathy: Maybe you should read his letter? It starts out: "In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision."

Geesh.

Liz Kelly: Thanks for sharing that.

Falls Church, VA: Liz, I consider myself a pretty progressive, liberal, and open minded person. What is so wrong with asking if someone is gay? Or trying to figure out what a person's heritage is if they appear to be of a certain type of descent? Can't it just be simple curiosity?

Liz Kelly: Sure, it can. I guess it's all in the context. Though I have to say that I think flat out asking someone about their sexuality is a bit different from inquiring as to whether someone has some Ukrainian in the family tree.

Asking about sexuality just feels a bit invasive to me. It seems like one of those things that would just be revealed the longer you know a person.

chick: name me a hot mess I can dream of - over 45 pls. (he should be a boy): James Cameron? Mickey Rourke?

Liz Kelly: Mickey Rourke -- good one.

washingtonpost.com: Celebritology - Hot Dirtbags: The top 10

washingtonpost.com: Celebritology - Hot Dirtbags: The top 10

Liz Kelly: Thank you, Paul. The cold is obviously affecting my memory. We've got a few older hotties on this list.

Have these people TRIED to dress a three-year-old?: I suspect the people complaining about Shiloh's tomboy attire have never had children. My husband and I play a game sometimes -- "did that child dress herself?" We've seen toddlers wearing princess costumes, Spiderman pajamas, football helmets, and lots of combinations of stripes-plaids-polka dots. I always assume the kid pitched a fit about what it wanted to wear and the parents gave in, not that the parents were trying to turn the kid into a superhero or a quarterback. Relax, people!

Liz Kelly: I still remember some of the get-ups I tried to wear out of the house at a very early age -- Wonder Woman Underoos, a mini-skirt and cowboy boots was a favorite ensemble.

Conan O'Brien: Is it true that he won't be able to take Triumph the Insult Comic Dog with him, wherever he ends up? That's the real tragedy of the Conan/Leno kerfuffle.

Liz Kelly: That story has been making the rounds -- that NBC may claim the rights to Triumph and some of Conan's other go-to gags. If true, I wouldn't worry -- I'm pretty sure he can come up with equally funny new material. Meanwhile, Jay can keep milking his sad little "Jay Walking" skit.

Dorkus: Any thoughts on the NYT/Christina Hendricks kerfluffle?

washingtonpost.com: I don't even know what this is about, but I know whom I support.

Liz Kelly: Courtesy Gothamist, here's an explanation: A fashion blogger apparently called Hendricks "big" and there was some speculation that a photo of Hendricks had been stretched to make her appear wider than she actually is.

There was also another post in the same blog in which the blogger used Globes pix of Jennifer Aniston and Courtenay Cox to argue that Hollywood women were "putting on weight."

hot mess?: What is this exactly? someone who is hot AND a mess, OR someone who is extremely messy? thought I knew, and now I wonder..

Liz Kelly: You had it the first time. A person who may be a bit of a mess lifewise -- parties too much, is a paparazzi target, etc. -- but is still hot enough to turn heads.

Obama's 1st year in DC - more or less celebs in town?: ...I sorta thought DC life would get more glitzy, but I haven't seen anyone interesting.

Liz Kelly: What, you weren't completely dazzled by MTV's cookie-cutter "Real World" cast?

Hot Messes? : Sorry, neither the Hoff or Mickey Rourke are hot. Ick. Nast!!!!!!!! How about Charlie Sheen? He is 45. Hope the seeker can box.

Liz Kelly: Okay, add Charlie Sheen as a possibility.

Bethesda: Hugh Laurie = hot mess over 45?

Liz Kelly: Is he really a mess? Or does he just play one on TV?

Brittany Murphy: I saw her husband and mother on the Today show this morning and didn't buy their story for a second. When asked if she had a drug or anorexia problem, they simply replied she grossed however many X number of dollars and was on time to every film set, refusing to directly answer the question. There are plenty of functioning addicts. Depression and heavy painkiller medication for PMS? Really? And did you hear how loopy and drugged out her mother sounded? So sad.

Liz Kelly: I think the best thing to do in this case is reserve judgment until the toxicology reports come in. In fact, I'm not sure why her mom and husband aren't doing the same thing.

Conan some more: It took Conan a couple years - YEARS - to get his stride at NBC when he started "Late Night" in '93. I just don't understand NBC's hastiness with this.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. They didn't give Conan a chance. Jay Leno has some kind of unholy hold over NBC's executive team.

Male hot mess over 45: Mickey Rourke, or if you are really desperate, Gary Busey.

Liz Kelly: No Gary Busey!

a hot mess over 45: How about Alec Baldwin? I just saw "Its Complicated" and I personally think one has to admit he is pretty adorable in a hot-mess-over-45 kind a way. He did a great job of being the bad boy, who you know you shouldn't be attracted to.

Liz Kelly: I adore Alec Baldwin, too. I'll add him to the list, but I'm not completely convinced he's a hot mess so much as a guy with some pretty bad luck.

3 year old dress up: I must agree w/ the previous poster who thinks that the clothing police complaining about Shiloh's attires do not have children. My son has been wearing his warm and fuzzy flannel pajamas to school intermittently over the past 2 weeks. He is 3. Of all the battles of will in which I must engage him, clothing choice is way behind using the potty, eating, sleeping and being nice to his brother. So yes, my kid is wearing monkey pj's to daycare. And Shiloh is dressed like Bob the Builder. So what?

Liz Kelly: Well said!

washingtonpost.com: At an early age, Liz?

washingtonpost.com: At an early age, Liz?

Liz Kelly: I still remember some of the get-ups I tried to wear out of the house at a very early age -- Wonder Woman Underoos, a mini-skirt and cowboy boots was a favorite ensemble.

Liz Kelly: I'm talking like some of my earliest memories -- I'm guessing I was maybe 3?

Team Christina: Christina Hendricks has curves. Her hips balance out the top so she doesn't look deformed. She is what real women should look like. Not those anorexic things in Hollywood. Bones should not be seen (except Peter Wingfield's cheekbones).

Liz Kelly: Agreed, with one caveat. She is one example of what a real woman can and should look like. Not everyone is built with those kinds of curves. Some women really are naturally lithe. Let's make room for the entire beautiful spectrum.

Re: Memo to Clinton Kelly: Why do so many people say "I could care less" when what they mean is "I couldN'T care less"???

Do you say "supposably" too?

Liz Kelly: Tsk tsk.

Avatar: is worth seeing in a 3-D theater. It is visually stunning. The story is basically "Last Samaurai" and/or "Dances with Wolves" in space but the visually are impressive.

Liz Kelly: Okay, somehow that makes me want to see it even less.

Woodbridge, Va.: I haven't had a cold that lasted more than three days since I stopped taking cold medicine. Nothing but Vicks vapor cream for me. Sure, my nose runs like a faucet for a couple days, I cough a bit, and I may have a slight fever, but that's just an immune system at work. Cold medicine just suppresses your natural immune response and makes a cold last longer, in my opinion and experience. Just a thought.

Liz Kelly: I'm not taking cold medicine. Just hot tea, zinc tablets, frequent use of my Neti pot and -- today while at work -- a couple of Tylenol.

I'd welcome any other suggestions for relief, tho.

Twit Video?: Hi Liz! I haven't seen any Twit Video postings in some time now...I think I'm going through Twit-Withdrawal. I need a fix! When can we expect a new one? Thanks mucho!

Liz Kelly: Next week!

Heidi Montag: Until I saw her speaking in interviews I didn't realize how bad her surgery was. She looks like she is 33 not 23 and her face doesn't show any expression. Her eyes are blank or maybe it's the fact that her eyelids seem immobile. I wonder what she sees in the mirror. I know women have gone back to have their implants taken out but I don't think she can take back anything they did to her face.

Liz Kelly: She is hard to watch. You're right, her face doesn't move. I think she said she's still healing and puffy -- in fact, that's the reason she gave for declining to sing even one line during her GMA performance. I ain't buying it, though.

Christina Hendricks: I thought her outfit was appropriate for an evening called the Golden Globes. Her girls were out there.

washingtonpost.com: Christina Hendricks at the Golden Globes

Liz Kelly: Paul is so happy in his work today.

Buffalo Club, Santa Monica: Apparently I took my dogs out for a walk at the wrong time of day or went a different route the day of the Golden Globes because Jennifer Aniston, Jake Gyllenhaal and others were at the Buffalo Club prior to the show. I live four blocks away and walk my dogs by it almost every day. I never really noticed the place until I saw they have valet service attendants in front. It seemed unusual for the area considering it is next softball fields and a skate park. There isn't much parking there so if I had walked my dogs at the right time I might have had some sightings. DANG. Yes, my life is that boring.

Liz Kelly: Thanks for the sighting info.

Wonder Woman Underoos, a mini-skirt and cowboy boots was a favorite ensemble: why give up on this look? bet you could still carry it!

Liz Kelly: You realize I'm four-and-a-half months pregnant, right?

Sovereign Remedy: My cure for a cold is great vats of wonton soup. (Okay, maybe it doesn't really cure the cold, but I feel better in the interim.)

Liz Kelly: I'm so dying for Wonton soup right now. There's one restaurant in particular that is my go-to when I'm sick. If only I could send Andy out.

Another honor for Leno: EW has wasted no time in declaring "Jay Leno at 10 p.m. " as the Top TV Bomb of all time. Not sure how they calculate--money, prestige, public humiliation?

Liz Kelly: All of the above? Plus lackluster ratings?

Friday fundraiser for Haiti relief question: Has Wyclef Jean's charity been cleared to be one of the recipients of this Friday's fundraiser for Haiti relief hosted by George Clooney?

Liz Kelly: I don't believe that's been resolved yet, no. Anyone see any new information out there?

Kid ensembles: My niece wore the long stuffed leopard tail from her Halloween costume pinned to the back of her pants, skirts, etc. for months, because she wanted to be a cat. As long as it doesn't hurt anybody, I'm all for letting 'em march to their own drummer.

Mickey Rourke, hot? Really?

Liz Kelly: Well, the Mickey Rourke thing -- for me -- is the ability to still see his past self in his current, post boxing/post surgery incarnation. He was some kind of hottie when he was younger and he still has that intensity. I'm sure that's exactly what his Russian mail-order-- err, girlfriend -- is thinking, too.

Fine distinction: How does a hot mess differ from a bad boy (like the guys on the list you made up a few weeks ago)? How do you determine which is which?

Liz Kelly: I think the terms are pretty much interchangeable, no?

Golver Park, NW - [Shudder] The Octomom bikini pics are upsetting me.: As disturbing as her pregnancy pics, and Dr. Phil appearances were I find these beach-frolicking pics downright freaky.

This lady is the stuff of nightmares!

washingtonpost.com: Nadya Suleman Bikini Picture: Octomom PHOTO One Year Later

Liz Kelly: Yeah, I didn't need to see that. Just like I didn't need to see the Ivana Trump underwear pic I linked to yesterday in the blog.

Baltimore MD: Male hot mess over 45, not on previous list: I nominate Jeff Bridges, who went from being a sort of thinking man's sex symbol in the Fabulous Baker Boys, to being The Dude in the Big Lebowski, to his Golden Globes winning turn as a washed up alcoholic country singer in Crazy Heart. Read the interview he recently did with Entertainment Weekly--much of it involved smoking a joint and watching the Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica pier glow in the night.

washingtonpost.com: The Ballad of Jeff Bridges -- EW.com

Liz Kelly: The dude's not a hot mess -- he's just comfortable in his own skin. And that skin just happens to involve a little reefer.

Philadelphia, Pa.: Who is Carey Mulligan and why can't I go one day without seeing her name in the newspaper?

Liz Kelly: She's a newish actress who was praised for her performance in "An Education." She's also dating Shia LaBeouf for some reason. I like to think of her as a talented version of Katie Holmes.

vick's...: liz: you're pregnant...no vick's for you. Sorry...for whatever reason, no menthol. It does seem harmless enough, but well, apparently, it's not.

Liz Kelly: Drat.

Bad Boy vs. Hot Mess: I dunno, I think "Bad Boy" gets the "Stay away from him he'll break your heart" warning, where "Hot Mess" is more "Stay away from him, he'll sell you to his bookie to cover his gambling debts."

Liz Kelly: Good point. Hot mess kind of connotes a certain "gone of the rails" aspect to one's choices.

Charlotte, NC: Not so true now, but Robert Downey Jr was THE benchmark for hot mess a few years back.

Liz Kelly: Yep. But look at him now. He gave THE BEST Golden Globes acceptance speech and is looking better than ever.

Ricky Gervais: Was disappointed in his hosting stint Sunday at the Golden Globes. Really expected more snarky fun from him. Oh, is he a hot mess?

Liz Kelly: No, I don't think I'd label Ricky a hot mess. Maybe just a mess.

San Diego, CA: Hendricks = real. Fabulous.

I read somewhere that real models with beautiful bodies, hips, breasts, etc. were used in the early- to mid-20th century, but people were looking more at the models than the clothes they were supposed to be modelling, so fashion designers started using stick figure clothes hangers "so as not to distract from the clothes". Don't know if it's true, but it was interesting.

Liz Kelly: Eenteresting.

I need to run up to the studio for the Twits taping so we'll wrap a bit early today. See you back here next week -- and hopefully I won't still be nursing this cold.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity