The Reliable Source: Miss Virginia, Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Rhee, John Edwards, Carlos Allen, Kristen Bell, more

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, February 3, 2010; 12:00 PM

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, Feb.. 3, at Noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

In recent columns: Ryan Bingham, meet Ryan Bingham, via the Oscar nominations. There she is: Miss Virginia becomes Miss America, with help from Limbaugh. A documentary about Michelle Rhee spurs controversy that doesn't even involve her. The last sordid details and fallout from the John Edwards book, as John and Elizabeth announce their separation. What was Carlos Allen doing at the Grammys? All about the State of the Union. Engagement for Kristin Bell, prison time for Michael Douglas's son.

Amy Argetsinger: Good morning everyone! Let's see how far we can get through the questions before Roxanne shows up.

For Rox: Your kind of Riff Raff is welcome here any day.

Amy Argetsinger: Or would be, if she were here on time.

Hamilton, Va.: I'm of the generation that adored Miss America and was crushed when it moved to Las Vegas. Ordinarily I would be so pleased that a woman from my home state won the crown, and she wounds like a wonderful person, but Rush Limbaugh as a judge? Sorry, folks, I had to turn off the set and did not know until the following day who had won. But at least he was honest about his reasons for doing this.

Amy Argetsinger: And hey -- he made a good pick, didn't he? I thought Caressa Cameron gave the best response in the interview portion I've ever seen. Not so much the content as the delivery. She sounded utterly natural and genuine. Most contestants, even at their best, sound like tensed-up spelling-bee champs.

Cleveland Park, Washington, D.C.: Is Kristina Bell a smaller version of Kristin Bell?

Amy Argetsinger: Hello, typo! Anyone there to fix it? Up in the headline? And actually, it's funnier than that -- it says Kristini Bell. I think someone was thirsting for a martini when they wrote that.

Woodbridge, Va.: John Edwards -- he coulda been a contenda. He coulda been somebody.

Amy Argetsinger: Could he have? Seems like he was surrounded by people who believed that, but he screwed it up at about every step of the way.

San Diego, Calif.: If Ms. Hunter left the racy tapes behind when she moved out, they re considered "abandoned" and as such are fair game for whoever wanders across them. Sorry, Rielle, that's just the way it is.

Also, I've seen her daughter's name spelled both "Francis" and "Frances." I hope for the child's sake that it is "Frances." Can you please confirm?

Amy Argetsinger: I think I've only seen it as Frances Quinn. And by the way, have we all learned something this week about the proper way to destroy sex tapes? It's not by halfheartedly cutting at it and then leaving it in a box, marked "special" or "secret" or whatever.

D.C.: Is it me or is there a little too much of a bromance wih Andrew Young and Edwards? I mean what man would claim paternity just because his boss screwed up? The whole thing seems a little too strange. I mean Young and his wife give Sal and Kitty from Mad Men a run for their money, What are your thoughts?

Amy Argetsinger: I'm going to try to pull up a link to Andrew Young's ABC interview. It's strangely poignant. Previously, I thought he was a major loser; after seeing it, I realized he's like so many other people in politics, major losers and otherwise, who think that their boss walks on water, and are convinced that he is their ticket to the moon, and therefore will do anything for him.

Miss, America: I loved how they said something quirky about their state instead of, Hello I'm Miss Ohio Jane Doe, an Ele-men-tary major at Ohio State. It seemed more relaxed.

Amy Argetsinger: I liked how Miss DC came out and said that security at Miss America was tighter than at a White House state dinner.

Low-key Midwestern hotness: In spite of being an east coast snob, I spent several years in the cold upper Midwest. I can affirm that there is something kinda hot about a farm boy with a bad haircut who can fill out a plaid shirt. There's a lot of enthusiasm buried under all that embarrassment. It's just tough figuring out how to unleash it in a way that won't cause too much uncomfortable shame in the future.

Amy Argetsinger: I'll remind you that Sen. Bayh is married, so you probably should try to unleash anything.

Kristen Bell: Forgetting Sarah Marshall is one of my happiest films to watch. I think Kristen Bell is a fabulous actress and it's lovely to know she and her sweetie pie want to be together forever. Happy hump day ladies.

Amy Argetsinger: "Hump day" -- I hate that phrase! But otherwise, thanks for writing.

Rockville, Md.: Just where is John Edwards now? Last I read he was in Haiti -- don't those people have enough tragedy?! -- but that was several days ago. Do you think he will ever give an interview about all of the mess he has created to try to explain himself?

Roxanne Roberts: Don't know where he is---he's keeping under the radar.

The problem with him giving an interview now is that no one will believe him or his motives---even if he tells the absolute truth (why would he?), people will assume he's trying to manipulate them into voting for him, etc. My guess is that he will put out a book someday giving his version of the story, because he seems like that kind of guy.

Washington, D.C.: Can I tell you one thing I really, really, really, really, truly never ever want to see?

A John Edwards sex tape.

Roxanne Roberts: Really? Not even a teeny peek? I confessed last week that I would watch. Bad, I know, but I would.

Boydton, Va.: Any word on my brother Carlos Allen and the rest of them party crashers? Jailtime or primetime?

Amy Argetsinger: If you were watching the Grammys red carpet on TV, you might have seen Carlos Allen skulking around in the background there. He was there with a saxophonist friend. How does he do it? Anyway, so far as we know, a grand jury is still looking into the Salahi matter -- as is Congress -- and the U.S. attorney is still considering the Allen matter.

Lay off Rox: She rocks!

Amy Argetsinger: I'm going to insist she change the spelling that way.

Washington, D.C.: John Edwards -- Coulda ben a contenda? Now he's just a bum.

Elizabeth Edwards was sorta silly too, threatening to commit suicide if she didn't get her way.

Roxanne Roberts: The Young book had more impact than I expected, and painted really unflattering portraits of just about everybody---and had the rung of truth. Either Young is a better fiction writer than we guessed, or the Edwards weren't anything like their public personas. Sad.

Washington, D.C.: John Edwards: The only guy who could go to Haiti and look even more like a shallow, self-serving jerk.

Amy Argetsinger: So, you're saying, this didn't rejuvenate his image?

McLean, Va.: Is Rush Limbaugh really an alien from planet Azark? I have these special glasses I bought on the Internet that reveal the true nature of a person. When I saw Rush, he appeared to be a green and blue-ish slimy alien with purple spots and three fingers. Your thoughts?

Amy Argetsinger: You know, your "Avatar" glasses don't work with regular TV.

Re: Wednesday: I won't use that phrase about the middle of the week you don't like again when typing in. Sorry!

Amy Argetsinger: And bless you for avoiding it this time. After all, can't we just call Wednesday "chat day"?

Springfield, Va.: Can we give just one moment here to Pink and how utterly fabulous she looked at the Grammys? Like her or not, her body is amazing.

Amy Argetsinger: You know, I was looking at her and thinking how miserable it must be for a woman in popular music today. You can't just have an amazing voice -- you also have to have a fantastic figure, that is worked out to the highest degree and displayed on full view. And THEN you have to get up on a trapeze with the Cirque de Soleil guys.

Edwards Ooogey: The whole thing is sordid beyond belief. The more I read, the more I want to bathe in hand sanitzier.

Amy Argetsinger: It keeps getting more ridiculous, doesn't it? It's like a vaudeville melodrama. You expect after a while that John Edwards is going to grow a moustache so he can twirl it while snarling villainously for the audience.

New York, N.Y.: For the record, I always thought that John Edwards looked like a sleazy used car salesman. Anybody who drags their poor dying wife out to try and get a sympathy vote, while cheating on her is a complete scumbag. He also did the whole environmental thing while living in a 10,000 sf estate. Anybody who gives him money or votes for him in any other election should be prevented from breeding.

Roxanne Roberts: The interesting question is whether he changed sometime after he was elected to the senate or if he was ALWAYS a liar and masked it really, really well. He had tons of devoted people who really believed in him and his message.

Washington, D.C.: Any advice on how I can break up Kristen Bell and her fiance?

Amy Argetsinger: You stalk them to Hawaii, and then you hook up with the cute girl at the hotel front desk in order to make her jealous, but just as Kristen Bell realizes she really wants to be with you after all, you realize that she's a loser and that you'd rather be with the front-desk girl, but then complications ensue.

D.C.: Any more news on how Carlos Allen ended up at the Grammys? Who invited him? Did he do anything of note?

Amy Argetsinger: He's good friends with a local saxophonist, Ski Johnson, who had an in there. I don't think they really did anything except hang around in camera view on the red carpet, but not get interviewed. Despite our hopes, he did not crash Taylor Swift's duet with Stevie Nicks. He might have redeemed himself with the nation had he done that.

I'll remind you that Sen. Bayh is married, so you probably should try to unleash anything. : I assume you meant "shouldn't." Unless you're trying to run some Republican gotcha scam.

Amy Argetsinger: Typo!

John and Rielle sitting in a tree.....: If she has moved to North Carolina, do you think these two will actually end up together? I know Dave Matthews won't play but do you think they could end up married now that Elizabeth has given him the boot and his career is shot anyway?

Roxanne Roberts: I have a close friend who bet me last year that they'd end up married. I said no way, but she still insists it will happen. And maybe she's right: If they do end up married, they can spin the affair into a "meant to be" story and raise their daughter together. Plus, who else would have either of them now?

Baltimore, Md.: I watched that Andrew Young (no relation to the former mayor of Atlanta, I assume) interview too. What did you find the most surprising about it? Or had you known all that in advance?

Amy Argetsinger: I had already plowed through the book and all its excerpts and leaked details, so nothing of substance was new. I was just struck by what a sad figure he seemed to be -- worshipfully and ambitiously enslaved to his boss. Again, like so many people in politics.

kinda hot about a farm boy with a bad haircut who can fill out a plaid shirt: Hey, I married one of those. Wonderful husband material in terms of personal values; I realize it's trivial, but he also cleans up great!

Amy Argetsinger: You should nominate him for Cosmo's next centerfold.

Woodbridge, Va.: I've got a great idea -- Rush Limbaugh v. John Edwards in Mixed Martial Arts deathmatch! Kinda like that Thunderdome thing -- "two men enter", but let's change it to "no men leave"! Seriously, I think the USA and much of the world would enjoy watching these two beat the tar out of each other. You guys have any connections that could make that happen?

Roxanne Roberts: None whatsoever. But here's the thing: At this point, I'd have to root for Rush.

Arlington, Va.: I was shocked to learn in Goff's blog today that former D.C. United captain John Harkes was thrown off the U.S. National Team in part because he had an affair with National Team teammate Eric Wynalda's wife! Is that history too ancient for your column? I think Harkes still lives in Fairfax.

Amy Argetsinger: Am only now getting not-quite-up-to-speed on this one. Sounds like it's a 12-year-old scandal, but one that was only just now made public? Anyway, link to follow.

Springfield, Va.: RE: Pink...great voice, no lip synching, great body, practically naked, spinning, upside-down AND let's not forget...WET !

Amy Argetsinger: Yes. Was that entertaining? Did it make you want to buy her album?

Washington, D.C.: Do you think that Edwards would marry Rielle somewhere down the road after things "cool off"?

Amy Argetsinger: Nothing would surprise me at this point.

washingtonpost.com: Coach says alleged affair hurt '98 U.S. soccer team (AP, Feb. 2)

"Plus, who else would have either of them now?": Ummm, death row inmates find people who will marry them. As long as John Edwards has money and any shred of fame (or infamy) he will be able to attract women. Crazy women, yes, but still...

Roxanne Roberts: Well, he's got a wife, mistress and a new baby, so maybe he should JUST. STOP. THERE.

Rather Be Elsewhere Than Work...: Hey can we get a little love for our Caps? Set a franchise record last night with an 11th straight win in regulation. Not only was last nights game a nail biter for a while, it was a sweet "dad's day" at the TD Garden Center in Boston. Ovie's and Backstrom's dads were in attendance. I didn't see Ovie's dad but can only imagine what he looks like. They are poised to go all the way this year. Just like them to get some Reliable Sources love. And yes, I'm a girl with a picture of Jose Theodore in my cubicle.

Amy Argetsinger: How about a little love for our sighting of Ovechkin devouring a giant lobster and steak after his game-winning goal the other night? Link to follow.

Southeast D.C.: Amy -- Tony Kornheiser used to work for your paper, didn't he? Because he seemed to be having an awful lot of trouble pronouncing your name on his radio show yesterday. Would have thought you would have met around the water cooler at some point.

Amy Argetsinger: Tony and I have met a few times. But there are people I know even better who have been pronouncing the name wrong all these years too.

Bethesda, Md.: While at the Grammys, did Carlos Allen have his lawyer sitting next to him refuting everything his client said at all times?

Amy Argetsinger: No, Carlos's lawyer, A. Scott Bolden, did not go with him to the Grammys.

Arlington, Va.: Random question: I was invited to the Congressional Dinner next week, at the Mandarin Oriental. What's the scene like? What hijinks can I expect, if any?

Amy Argetsinger: I get all of these media-press dinners confused. You can expect some inside jokes from the political speakers. But it's BYO-hijinks.

Great White North: ..The interesting question is whether he changed sometime after he was elected to the Senate or if he was ALWAYS a liar and masked it really, really well.

He was a trial lawyer, wasn't he?

Amy Argetsinger: No one ever really changes.

Charlotte: Just curious, when do you think was the last time Dave Matthews played a wedding? Assuming he does not play the eventual Edwards/Hunter wedding, of course.

Amy Argetsinger: You mean... you have doubts that John Edwards was going to be able to deliver Rielle Hunter that rooftop wedding with the Dave Matthews Band?

Washington, D.C.: OK, I am tired of the Edwards. Can we move on? Talk about Charlize Theron or something?

Roxanne Roberts: Ooooh, I know. All these (unconfirmed) reports that she and long-time love Stuart Townsend have split! We're waiting to hear some official confirmation or denial from one of their reps. But we have to say---met him during the DNC and GOP conventions in 2008 and he was very, very cute in person. If true, neither of them will be single for long.

No Bromance...: It is clear that he did not get the big job that he was promised or that he expected. You can tell, what wife would go along with such craziness If she didn't think there would be a pay day down the road? She even sat there and held his hand on the interview. That's why he wrote the book, he's gotta get paid, and to be honest I think I would have done the same thing because Edwards is such a big ol' country style jerk!

Amy Argetsinger: There's a sort of poignant part in the book: After Young and his wife had put up with living with Rielle for months, and then they're there when she's giving birth, and Young calls Edwards so he can talk to Hunter, and Edwards says, "no, don't patch me through!" And then Edwards agrees to send her flowers, but refuses to have his name signed to the card. And THAT, says Young, is when he realized that he was working for a bad guy, and that he'd put himself and his own family at risk.

10,000 square feet?: Try 28,000 square feet. He's even worse than Al Gore! (But let's not go there...)

Roxanne Roberts: Who needs that big a house? The Duggars, maybe.

Rush Limbaugh's jet: Did I read correctly, that he was e-mailing with you guys from his jet? Not sure if I hate him more or respect him more.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes! And his jet has Internet access. Not a bad way to travel.

Destroying A Tape: Wouldn't a VIDEOGRAPHER like Hunter know that the way to destroy a videotape involves exposing it to a strong magnetic field to erases the recorded information? Something about that whole "left behind after an unsuccessful attempt to destroy it" thing just doesn't seem believable.

Roxanne Roberts: Ya think? The whole thing stinks.

washingtonpost.com: Late link entry: Hey, isn't that: Alex Ovechkin at the Palm (Reliable Source, Feb. 2)

Kristini Bell.: When you see her standing next to Dax, she does look Kristini.

Amy Argetsinger: He's the spelling-challenged half of the couple, not she.

You'd have to root for Rush ?: Why, because he's such a paragon of personal moralit?

Two men enter, no man leaves is exactly right.

Roxanne Roberts: No, but he beats Edwards this week....month....year.

Washington, D.C.: What do you think of the switch to ten Best Picture nominees? It seems seven or so would be about right. Ten is too many, while five would leave one of two that could have been nominated. I'm assuming this is all a ploy by Hollywood aimed at people like me to try to see all of the nominees before the awards shows.

Amy Argetsinger: It annoys me. First, because this was a mediocre year for movies, so they're having to dig deep. Second, because if they'd only picked five, I would have already seen all of them. This is Hollywood's attempt to gouge another $50 out of me, and take up all my weekend afternoons in February.

Falls Church, Va.: So James Cameron and Kathryn Bigelow were once married, any bets on who's going to take it? Are they still friends? Also, is Avatar really worth seeing, to me it just looks silly. FWIW, I HATED Titanic! I thought it was way too long and just awful.

Amy Argetsinger: They're friendly, and have been publicly very supportive during this awards season. Their marriage was relatively brief and distant (circa 1989-1991), and he gets married all the time anyway. I didn't love Avatar, and I suspect it's for reasons beyond my third-row seat. I thought Titanic had silly dialogue but a lot more humanity and more entertainment value.

John (from Raleigh): So, what is the proper place to store a sex tape with one's mistress?

Roxanne Roberts: A safety deposit box, if one is a) stupid enough to make one and b) crazy enough to keep it.

Edwards vs. Woods: From the scandal perspective, Edwards has made even Tiger look less skeevy. Edwards jettisoned a 30-year marriage that encompassed the loss of a child, terminal cancer diagnosis and three living children. He managed to make Tiger look less disgusting.

Amy Argetsinger: And that's something. Tiger, with his alleged-girlfriend count now in the double-digits.

Hunter/Edwards - Orzag and that lady..: Do these people know what birth control is? Basic stuff easily available in any drugstore, in different colors! styles! and flavors if you want it!

Amy Argetsinger: If you want it.

Ovie at the Palm: Why'd he go there? Capital Grille is a lot closer to the Verizon Center.

Amy Argetsinger: If I were Ovie, I'd avoid any restaurants near the Verizon Center directly after a game.

Cate Edwards: Does she live in Washington still? Thought she got a law degree and bought a house here. Any word on how she (the only adult in the family apparently) has dealt with the messy situation?

Roxanne Roberts: Very gracefully. This was be horrible for her, and she has kept quiet about the whole thing.

And yes, she still lives in the area.

Portland Ore.: Who do you think should play John Edwards in the inevitable movie? I nominate Aaron Eckhart with Meryl Streep as Elizabeth and Patricia Clarkson as Reille with Andrew Young being played by Ashton Kutchner. I'd like to hear from others. Also, any word on how Cate Edwards is bearing up with all of this. How betrayed she must feel.

Amy Argetsinger: Rob Lowe as John Edwards, Sandra Bullock as Rielle... someone else for Elizabeth, but can't think who.

For "Rather Be Elsewhere Than Work...": Papa Ovechkin frequently hangs out at the practice rink. he's exactly what you'd imagine: a bigger, slightly overweight version of his son, with white hair. Friendly as can be and doesn't speak a lick of English.

Roxanne Roberts: How do you say, "Your son is adorable, in a hockey-sort-of-way" in Russian?

What's the female equivalent of...: ...a bromance?

Amy Argetsinger: Girlcrush.

Connecticut: Hey, just curious. Anyone else out there get so drunk that they went home, sat down, removed their gun and then suddenly realized they weren't home, but in a bank? I am sure this mistake happens all the time, right?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, you've heard about those people who think they're in the bathroom but they're really in the coat closet? Similar debacle, times ten. Rip Torn now says that he took a wrong turn leaving the bar, and that's how he ended up breaking into that bank. He was walking, not driving, btw.

Rielle is delusional: She would be crazy to marry or get involved with him at this point. After she hears about all of the awful stuff he did behind HER back she can see that he had no respect for her as well(not wanting to send flowers, not talking to her after the birth).

Amy Argetsinger: She would be crazy, indeed.

Is it true...: ...that Scarlett Johansson has a twin brother? Is he hot too? Could you run a link to a photo of him online?

washingtonpost.com: Hunter Johansson is Scarlett Johansson's Twin Brother

Amy Argetsinger: There you go.

Houston, Tex.: Elizabeth Edwards -- Kirstie Alley

Roxanne Roberts: Smart enough? Don't think so. I vote for Cherry Jones.

someone else for Elizabeth, but can't think who. : Kathy Bates.

Rosie O'Donnell

Roxanne Roberts: Kathy yes, Rosie no.

Lansdale, Pa.: RE: Just where is John Edwards now?

I believe he is bunking with Tiger wherever. And reportedly, even Tiger went "Dude, what were you thinking!"

Roxanne Roberts: Ha! Then they compared notes on using cell phones during affairs.

Washington, D.C.: I'll say this for Avatar -- by the end of it, a 14-foot tall, somewhat lizard-like looking creature, with a tail, started to seem rather fetching.

Roxanne Roberts: Like last call at most bars?

D.C.: Which CSI city's theme song are you most excited to hear The Who play at the Super Bowl halftime show?

Amy Argetsinger: "I Can't Explain." I think that's the theme song for "CSI: Fairfax."

Cinema Elizabeth Edwards: Patricia Heaton? Jane Kazmarack?

Amy Argetsinger: No, too sitcommy.

Pink Rocks: Just wanted to add to the Pink support... She's so amazing. The fact she could sing so well doing all that. Back in the day never thought she would be one that has stuck around, but very glad she has.

Amy Argetsinger: When you say "she would be the one," you mean, of the girls in the Lady Marmalade video? Let's see, Pink, Christina, Mya...

Is Kathy Bates too old?: to play Elizabeth? She'd be purr-fect!

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, she's too old.

He's the spelling-challenged half of the couple, not she. : But she's teeny compared to him. So Kristini. Kris-teeny. Get it?

Amy Argetsinger: Ah, got it.

So Drunk: I've never been so drunk that I broke into a bank but I have been so drunk that I went home and flopped into bed but missed the bed.

Amy Argetsinger: I am LOLLing, as the kids say.

Edwards movie: How is this: Reille played by Kristen Bell, Edwards by Dax, and Elizabeth by Drew Barrymore. Young should be Bradley Cooper and his wife Mena Suvari.

Amy Argetsinger: No, in that movie, Edwards is played by Freddie Prinze Jr.

Arlington, Va.: Can we make a shout-out to Arlington's Own Sandra Bullock on her Oscar nom? Haven't seen The Blind Side yet but still, not too shabby!

Amy Argetsinger: Is it "make a shout-out" or "give a shout-out" or just "shout-out"? And yes, graduate of Washington-Lee High School.

Sandra Bullock as Rielle?: Why? Is Anne Heche booked?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, duh. You're right. The obvious pick. It's her Oscar role.

Alexandria, Va.: This has not really been touched on in this chat, but may I just give a shout-out to Miss Virginia. She just seems delightful and someone should be honored.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, you may. Go, Commonwealth!

Elizabeth Edwards in the movie: Easy -- Maura Tierney. Although she's better looking, she's got that tough exterior plus she's dealing with breast cancer herself.

Amy Argetsinger: Hmmm. Okay. I had missed that news about her. Sad.

Wacky idea for next year's Grammys: Wouldn't it be wild if someone came out and stood in front of a microphone and just sang. Rather than arriving surrounded by storm troopers, or suspended from the ceiling. I really thought that part where Beyonce's was crawlng and swinging her hair around was, well, embarassing.

Amy Argetsinger: It's an idea.

Ellicott City, Md.: Hi Ladies. Hope you are willing to take a Tim Tebow comment/question. Even getting past the upcoming Super Bowl commercial and all that goes with it, do you think the NCAA set a bad precident by letting him put bible verses on his checks? What if Roxanne's son becomes a big time college player and wants to say "read the Reliable Source" on his checks? I am so offended by the whole Tim Tebow thing. Hope that if he makes it in the NFL, the vastly improved Redskins will cream him.

Roxanne Roberts: This is an interesting, complicated free speech/separation of church and state debate because I've been a big Tebow fan and believes he pretty much walks the walk of his beliefs. I don't mind the verses on his eye black so much, but I am always wary when the practice of religious beliefs includes imposing those beliefs on my life. How the commercial fits in the debate depends on what it actually says---haven't seen it yet. But it's a fine line and this country hasn't figured out how to navigate it for more than 200 years.

Avoided the Verizon Center Area: So instead you'd head to one of the biggest tourist traps in the city ??

Amy Argetsinger: What, you want him to go to Cafe Milano instead?

Miami: Saints or Colts? Or more excited about The Who playing at halftime?

Roxanne Roberts: Saints because they've never won, Colts because Peyton is my football boyfriend. Don't care about the Who.

Truth in packaging -- Sanford style: Turning to another wronged political wife, what do you think of Jenny Sanford's sharing that when she married Mark (the Applachian Trail dude) more than 20 years ago he insisted on removing a clause promising to be faithful from their wedding vows?

Roxanne Roberts: And she married him anyway! That's the most interesting fact to emerge from their story.

Amy Argetsinger: RE: the Tim Tebow situation. I haven't been following it closely, but I thought Sally Jenkins had a thoughtful essay the other day, link to follow.

American Idol: Which of the celebrity judges did you think were decent, and who has been awful?

Amy Argetsinger: Neil Patrick Harris was the best. Joe Jonas -- well, you instantly forgot he was ever there.

Pink: and Lil Kim! And one of them that stuck around being in general pop stars that lasts.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh lord, Lil Kim, you're right. Well, she did go on to sing "Magic Stick," which was pretty great.

Washington, D.C. : I get why it makes the story better, but can we stop throwing terminal cancer in to the Edwards mix? They're all guilty of bad behavior, over ambition and incredibly quesitonable decisions. She was like that before cancer and she'll be like that after. I hate cancer. It has taken some people who should still be on this earth. But it didn't make them saints.

Roxanne Roberts: True, but it adds a layer to the story and heightens the bad behavior. Some people get sick and they---and everyone around them---use it as an opportunity to consider their choices and determine their priorities.

Movie: John Edwards - Brad Pitt Elizabeth Edwards - Jane Fonda Rielle - Lauren Holly

Roxanne Roberts: Jane Fonda? WAY too old. (Sorry, Jane.)

Washington, D.C.: So what is the best way to cheat on one's wife and make sure not to get caught if I am a famous politician? I mean, I'm just curious.

Amy Argetsinger: Roxanne has a much-quoted philosophy on this. I'll let her explain.

Roxanne Roberts: Morality aside, think economics:

Choose someone who has little to gain and a lot to lose if the affair were discovered. A professional woman with a impressive job or wealthy married woman from the same social circle----rather than a poor, single woman who would benefit greatly by marriage, hush money or child support. Nightclub hostesses and New Age videographers are never really a good idea.

Caps: In respone to the earlier comment, there are also Bruins fans who read this chat who are very depressed about last night's game. Oh well. You guys played a good game.

Roxanne Roberts: Awww. Consider yourself hugged. You're a good sport.

Omaha, Neb.: Young's situation and book reminds me a LOT of Primary Colors: close aide is a True Believer in candidate and truly crushed when said candidate is not only human, but a little skeevy. Do you foresee a movie a la Primary Colors?

Roxanne Roberts: A movie script is probably in the works as we speak, and I bet they just finished a "Law and Order" episode with a dead body, sex tape and former politician.

For the moment, we'll concentrate on writing the column. Many thanks for all you enthusiastic chatters---but we need your tips and sightings, too! Write us at reliablesource@washpost.com.

Stay warm and dry---we'll talk next week.

E-mail and bookmark Reliable Source blog.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity