» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
Tuesday, February 16 at 12 noon

President Pat McGuire on rethinking Trinity Washington University

For two decades, Pat McGuire has been consumed by turning a Catholic college into a model for urban higher education.

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Pat McGuire
President, Trinity Washington University
Tuesday, February 16, 2010; 12:00 PM

Now in her 21st year as president of Trinity Washington University, Pat McGuire is known throughout the region as the woman who saved the school, by rebuilding a dying Catholic women's college into a multifaceted university that has reached out to the black and Hispanic women of Washington.

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

The Washington Post Magazine wrote about McGuire and her efforts to transform Trinity in this weekend's cover story, "The Devoted." McGuire was online Tuesday, February 16 at 12 noon ET to take questions and comments.

Pat McGuire: Hi, everybody, this is President Pat McGuire at Trinity, and I'm so pleased to welcome all of you to our online chat with the Washington Post! Let me know what you'd like to know about Trinity! I will try to answer all questions here, but if I miss something, you can always contact me at president@trinitydc.edu or visit our website www.trinitydc.edu

Washington, D.C.: Dear President McGuire: I am a 17-year-old senior at Anacostia HS. I want to attend Trinity! How do I get in to your school?

Pat McGuire: Welcome! I'm so pleased to know that you are finishing your senior year at Anacostia --- stick with your studies these last few months, that's important! You can contact Trinity Admissions in several ways... call Trinity Admissions at 202-884-9400, or send an email to admissions@trinitydc.edu, or visit our website www.trinitydc.edu and click on "Admissions" on the left side. I hope to see you on campus!

Reno, Nev.: The Trinity Center was a huge investment for Trinity. How has the new athletic center worked out financially? Has it helped bring new students?

Pat McGuire: Thanks for asking... yes, the Trinity Center is a great addition to our campus. With more than 30,00 visitors a year, the Center has raised Trinity's visibility considerably and helped to introduce Trinity to prospective students --- thus helping our ability to recruit more students. Financially, the Center pays for itself, so it's been a win-win investment. We expect our new Academic Center to follow the same model.

Falls Church, Va.: President McGuire: What an incredible transformation of Trinity with you at the helm. I am so proud to be a Trinity graduate. What is your vision for the new Trinity Academic Center?

Pat McGuire: Thanks for asking, Falls Church! With the big surge in our enrollment... more than 2000 students this year! ... Trinity needs more classrooms, more lab space, and more advanced technology to accommodate all of the changes in how teaching and learning occur today. The new Trinity Academic Center will signify Trinity's increasing strength in a broad range of academic programs --- our traditional liberal arts, of course, which are the intellectual core of this university, as well as our growing programs in Nursing and Health Professions, Criminal Justice, International Security Studies, Business and Communication, Education and Counseling. Our historic campus was built at a time when Trinity had about 500 traditional-aged resident students, and today we have more than 2000 students of all ages, both residential and commuter, and another 4000+ visitors to campus in any given week for Education Workshops, Education for Parish Service classes, conferences and games at the Trinity Center for Women and Girls in Sports. Trinity is a lively place! The new Academic Center will become a vibrant hub for teaching, learning and living in the modern university.

Sacramento, Calif.: I've heard that Trinity has a new nursing degree program. Has there been a lot of interest in it? Have the hospitals around Trinity been supportive?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Sacramento! Adding the Nursing Program has been fantastic --- and we could not have done it without the great support and encouragement of the Washington Hospital Center, National Rehabilitation Hospital, and so many other hospitals and health care providers in this region. We are now planning to add other Allied Health programs, such as Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and others. Trinity has always been strong in pre-med, and we're glad to extend this historic strength to a broader range of health professions.

New York, N.Y.: As a up-and-coming graduate of Trinity University, the concern that I have is what are your plans to involve the alums of the university? Outside of certain structured events featuring the alums, there is little participation from our past students. Do you have plans that bridge a connection between alums and students? And if you do, what is that plan?

Pat McGuire: Hello, New York, I'm glad you've connected here. Our alumnae and alumni are very involved with Trinity in many ways --- internships and career networks are one of the big ways that Trinity alums support each other and current students. We do have a lot of events here in DC and around the country to introduce new alums to the local groups, so if you go back to New York, know that there's a big and active group there. If you are on campus, you should stop by the Alumnae Office and meet Margy Reagan, our director of Alumnae Affairs, who can talk with you about other ways that alums are involved --- and we love to have students work at Reunion in June, so there's another great way to connect with our graduates!

Washington, D.C.: What is Ms. Pat McGuire's response to the alumna's comment that a Trinity degree is no longer worth what it was when she graduated? I'd empathize with the alumna. Trinity's days of classes consisting of Nancy Pelosi and Kathleen Sebelius are very different from the present, where (1) the majority of Trinity's undergraduate body graduated from D.C.'s public schools and (2) in turn, these Trinity undergraduates haven't been prepared by D.C. public schools for 'mainstream' college. As a result, Trinity seems to be an extension of what high school education should have been for these D.C. public school graduates.

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Washington D.C., but I respectfully disagree with your characterization of our students --- just as I disagree with the alum who says her degree is not worth what it was. Every college and university in this nation must change with the educational needs of the times; those women's colleges that were unable to change are no longer in existence. There once were 190 Catholic women's colleges, but just 16 still operating today, and Trinity is one of them. I'm quite proud of the fact that all of our alumnae and alumni can claim a vibrant university as their home. As for our students, Trinity is very proud of the fact that we are able to promote academic and lifelong success for students who once were at-risk of never having the same benefits that many of us enjoyed. Why would we not celebrate the remarkable commitment of the Trinity community to extending the richness of this education to women and men who can really achieve great things with the power of a great education? This is truly a matter of social justice, and Trinity is deeply committed to educational justice for our students.

Arlington, Va.: President McGuire: I really enjoyed the article. What three key qualities does it take to be a successful university president like you?

Pat McGuire: Glad you enjoyed the piece --- and here's my secret: hard work, love the work, and celebrate the people for and with whom we do the work. There is no easy route to success, it does require the investment of time and effort and lots of "elbow grease"!! But the success of Trinity's students and graduates makes the hard work worth it!

Lake Tahoe, Calif.: I am very interested in the plans for a new academic center. Can you elaborate on what this project will look like when finished? Will it expand the amount of academic space, or just replace aging facilities? What sort of time line is Trinity looking at for this project?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Lake Tahoe! The new Trinity Academic Center will include a new academic building with classrooms, an auditorium, perhaps some labs and studios integrated into the new space, and excellent amenities like common areas and lounges, a cafe and other services that students expect to find on a university campus today. Along with the new building, we intend to renovate our existing Library and Science buildings, updating all technologies and expanding the range of spaces available for all of our new programs. And of course, our venerable Main Hall must also receive a good deal of attention, though that will be a very large project. We will build some new space first, most likely, so that we can have "swing space" as we undertake Main. This is a big project and a long-term project, but we hope to be able to get the first part underway in the next several years --- if we are successful with our fund raising program!

Capitol Hill: Pat, can you please explain the dissolution of women-only CED (continuing education for non-traditional women in the traditional program) and Weekend College in favor of admitting male undergrads? Was the income from non-traditional women students insufficient? Male undergrads are few at Trinity -- it would seem like a very nominal source of income. (Yes, I know that the College of Arts and Sciences is still all-female.)

Also, the new name is not popular. Wellesley and Smith grant graduate degrees (to men also) and they retained their traditional names. Why not TC?

Thanks, B.A., Class of '92, Trinity

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Capitol Hill, I'm glad you asked about these issues. When we created our new strategic plan in the Year 2000, we did several important things for Trinity: we created multiple collegiate units so that all of our students could have the right kind of faculty and administrative attention focused on their needs, and we also acknowledge publicly what many had told us privately for many years --- that we are, in fact, a university. The collegiate units today include the College of Arts & Sciences, which remains our historic liberal arts college for women in the daytime. We did decide that working professionals, both male and female, could benefit from all of our programs (graduate as well as undergraduate) in our School of Professional Studies, which started as the all-female Weekend College. Our model for SPS is not very different from similar models at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, College of New Rochelle, and other historic women's colleges that also have incorporated coeducational units for working adults. The School of Education has always been coed, since federal law only exempts historic single-sex undergrad programs from the gender equity rules of Title IX. Our new School of Nursing and Health Professions is also coeducational because many men as well as women in our region wish to pursue health careers. As for our name change, it's actually been quite popular and broadly accepted by our students, faculty, staff and alums, and it's consistent with the adoption of the "university" word by many colleges --- see Chatham University in Pittsburgh, or Mt. St. Mary's University in Emmitsburg, and many others.

Phoenix, Ariz.: Trinity's recovery from the financial troubles of earlier years is remarkable. It is wonderful to see new programs and facilities coming to fruition on campus, but won't the current economic woes slow Trinity down some?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Phoenix! We are quite mindful of the current economic conditions, and our planning for new facilities and programs takes that into account. We have already delayed the timetable for the new Academic Center by several years, and of course, we have to raise the money before we can commit to the project. Having said that, I am quite optimistic that Trinity will be successful in our new capital campaign --- this is such a great institution, and so many people are eager to support our continuing success story. As one of our founders Sister Mary Euphrasia wrote, in 1897, when plans for Trinity were in doubt, "The project is so grand, the incentives so great... we shall succeed!"

Graduate MBA Recruiting//Does not exist 2010: Hi President MC Guire,

Trinity currently has nothing in place for its MBA students in terms of coporate recruiters and job placement, when are you going to address this matter. Furthermore, the alumni association has nothing in place and has informed me that the are going to have any recruiter come to visit the campus and interview the new MBA and graduate students. Trinty is behind in terms of being a competitive graduate school in terms of providing standard job placement to its graduates. I hope that you will address this matter this Spring 2010.

Thanks.

Pat McGuire: Hi, MBA, I'd love to talk with you more about this concern and get your ideas about what would be best for you and MBA students --- can you stop by my office some evening when you're here? Or shoot me a message at president@trinitydc.edu Also, we do have a very active MBA alumni group, and I am sure that Margy Reagan, our director of Alumnae Affairs, would be happy to connect you with them. They have done a number of programs for our MBA students. But please stop by and let's talk more...

Harrisburg, Pa.: Do you, or if you don't, are you considering, offering online programs? If so, in what areas?

Pat McGuire: Yes, Harrisburg, we are planning to launch online programs in Educational Administration, and then the nursing MSN -- in Fall 2010 and Spring 2011. If you know of a program you'd like to see offered, drop me a note at president@trinitydc.edu

Columbia, Md.: Pat, thank you for being online to take questions today.

I found the reporting in this article to be less than stellar, with several factual errors that make me wonder if the research on this article included anything more than just interviewing you and looking at the pictures on the walls. The mischaracterization of student demographics over the years is particularly disturbing. While it's true that the daughters of the wealthy and powerful attended the college in the 60s, the majority of the students, I would bet, were more like you -- daughters of middle class families who wanted a good education. By the time I attended Trinity in the mid-80s, the diversity of the student population was one of the strengths of the college. My friends included daughters of cab drivers and social workers, teachers and accountants, lawyers and business executives. The demographics of the school, while not reflective of the demographics of the city, were probably pretty close to the demographics of the nation, and that was a good thing. Recruiting in Anacostia is also a good thing, and I'm glad the college went in that direction. But it has swung too wildly in that direction -- what's wrong with recruiting from Anacostia AND the Main Line? And why not throw in some middle class and working class areas as well?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Columbia, I'm glad you asked that question. Actually, the reporter Dan de Vise not only interviewed quite a broad range of people associated with Trinity, he did a considerable amount of statistical research even well beyond what we provided. The data is all available publicly through the federal reporting system, and we look at this data all of the time. While it is certainly true, as you say, that from a social class perspective Trinity was more diverse than the unfortunate stereotype of only wealthy students, the demographics on race and ethnicity were pretty much the same from the late 1960's through the early 1990's. As for recruiting, we do recruit still all over the country, but patterns of collegiate attendance have changed dramatically even since the 1980's when you attended Trinity --- more than 85% of students everywhere today go to public institutions in their home states. This dramatic change affected not only women's colleges but private liberal arts colleges of all kinds in all locations. Probably the biggest impact on Trinity was the dramatic public shift to favoring public higher education, along with the decline in the religious vocations that provided the "contributed services" (read "free labor") that kept Trinity and other historic Catholic institutions afloat. Along the way, all of our marketing studies have shown that middle-class families demanded more and more amenities on college campuses, and for many years it was hard for Trinity to keep up with that demand. The Trinity Center for Women and Girls in Sports has helped to revitalize our campus, and the new Trinity Academic Center that we're just planning now will add to Trinity's appeal to a broader economic range of students. With more than 2000 students today on campus, we have a great range of diversity, which makes Trinity a very lively place!

Washington, D.C.: Thank you President McGuire for your hard work and the hard work of every Trinity employee to establish a supportive learning environment. My daughters attended Trinity and have received a class A education in a most caring environment. They had the opportunity to shine in a school where the professors cared deeply about them.

Pat McGuire: Wow, Washington, thank you! I am always pleased to hear from satisfied parents! Of course, the credit all goes to our very hard-working faculty and staff --- they are the real stars, I'm just the front person. You hit on one of Trinity's most important qualities, the way in which our professors care about each and every student. Our faculty spend a huge amount of time not only in class but outside of class helping our students to become successful. Thanks for recognizing that! Best to your daughters!

Access and affordability: I really take issue with the idea that a new generation of Washington women is being denied access to higher education because of lack of wealth and preparation. Lack of wealth and academic preparation have always been a barrier to higher education, which is precisely why community colleges exist, and from what I can tell in this article and on the Trinity Web site, the education (at least for the first two or three years) is essentially the same and is, I might add, easily accessible to this generation of Washington women. Community colleges provide the remedial education, flexible scheduling, occupational training, student support services, etc., that traditional liberal arts colleges and research universities shouldn't have to provide. $19,000 a year in tuition might seem like a bargain compared to $50,000, but a community college would provide the same education for a tiny fraction of the cost (saving the student, the federal government, and the college's endowment a chunk of change). And they pay the professors better too.

Pat McGuire: I have the greatest respect for the fine community colleges in our region, but frankly, Trinity offers many different and distinctive advantages to our students. First of all, our undergraduate women's college specializes in making women successful --- this is the only woman-centered institution in the Washington region, and we prove time and again that women can become enormously successful students and graduates when enrolled in programs tailored to their learning styles and needs. Second, education is not just transactional, meaning that it's the same English course here or there --- it's not. Our faculty specialize in the pedagogies that make every student highly successful through close personal attention to each student's learning style. Third, Trinity's comparatively small size means that we are able to give a great deal of attention to our students outside of class as well --- as the article mentions, we know our students by name, we pay attention to what's happening with each one, and if somebody is having a hard time, we have a corps of deans and staff who can reach out to provide whatever service the student needs. Let me also mention the fact that Trinity is very affordable -- while our published tuition price is $19,360 this year, in fact, the majority of our full-time students pay very little out-of-pocket because of our Trinity grants and other forms of financial aid. Trinity is a very valuable educational package, and unique among all of the great institutions in this region!

San Antonio, Tex.: Hi there. I read the article and you have done fantastic things with your school. You are an inspiration and your school does wonderful things. I only wish you more prosperity in the coming decades. As a graduate of Trinity Univ. in San Antonio, Tex., does it ever get confusing having two universities with the same name?

Pat McGuire: Thanks for asking, San Antonio! Actually, there are more than 20 institutions in this country with Trinity in their name, and we are Trinity Washington University to be sure we do not get confused with your great alma mater! Thanks for checking in with us.

Auburn, Calif.: It seems like more than half the students I met at reunion last year were headed off to grad school of some sort. Are there career fields that seem to be of particular interest to today's students?

Pat McGuire: Yes, Auburn, we have a great track record for students going on to law, medicine and other fields --- Education is a big field for our graduates, and many also go into publishing or some form of communications. Business is very big as well, and we have the MBA as well as undergrad business. We have also recently had a lot of interest in our intelligence and international programs. With the addition of Nursing and health professions to our roster of programs, we expect to see many more graduates entering the healthcare fields as well.

Hong Kong: President McGuire: Great article! Can you talk about how Trinity's faculty adapted to the changes in the student demographics?

Pat McGuire: Hello, Hong Kong! Great to hear from you! Our faculty have excelled at adapting curricula and programs to new populations of Trinity students. This was certainly a learning process for everyone, but over the years the faculty deserves a great deal of credit for being good students, themselves, in understanding how an increasingly diverse student body can learn well. Many new voices came into the curriculum as a result, but also, our faculty is rigorous in their insistence that all students embrace the more traditional canon of thought since lifelong success requires mastery of those tools. Our faculty also have been pathbreakers in creating a First Year Experience program that is increasingly recognized as a national model to promote student success. They are the real stars of Trinity today!

Bangor, Maine: I am assuming that many if not most, of the students now attending Trinity are not Catholic. How are you retaining the Catholic ideals on which Trinity was founded?

Pat McGuire: Hello, Bangor! Trinity lives our Catholic faith every single day in the service we give to our students, and in the quality of the human community on our campus. We do have the traditional signs of Catholicism, from Mass every day on campus to crucifixes in our classrooms. The Sisters of Notre Dame, our founders, maintain a convent here and they are integral to our lives. But as we learned from the SNDs, the essence of our Catholicism is in the service we give to others, and the witness we make for social justice.

Alexandria, Va.: Does Trinity have a volunteer tutoring program. I'm a former university-level writing teacher, and I'm interested in the possibility of working with Trinity students as a volunteer -- perhaps those involved in the first-year critical thinking/reading/writing program, but others as well.

Is there a writing center or some other program that could use my help?

Pat McGuire: Hello, Alexandria, we do have a tutoring program and we're always recruiting! If you could send me an email let's pursue this idea.... president@trinitydc.edu

Alexandria, Va.: Could you say more about what you are doing in terms of institution-building and succession-planning? The transformation of an organization may require a devoted, inspirational leader, but, sadly, we are all mortal. I'm sure you're right about conducting a national search when you retire, but the article left me with the impression that the changes at Trinity may depend too heavily on your day-to-day engagement in everything from the development of strategic visions for the college to installing light fixtures. Will there be an infrastructure in place to support a new president who may want to take the occasional evening off?

Pat McGuire: Thanks for asking, Alexandria, in fact, succession planning is on my mind (and the board's) all the time... and I'm very pleased to say that Trinity has a superb team of professionals on the executive staff. I think the article should have thrown more light on them, less on me, but heck, it gives me a chance to talk about them! In fact, this team of professionals --- a great provost, wonderful deans, excellent vice presidents and directors --- can and do manage the affairs of their departments very well. We are a team, and I emphasize TEAM --- I am the captain of the team, yes, but they make it all happen. So do our faculty. A successful institution is about the whole team, not one person, and I'm the first to say that. One of my main goals at this stage of my career is to be sure that when the time comes --- which, God and the Board willing, is still a few years off --- everything will be ready for a great new president!

Scottsdale, Ariz.: In my time at Trinity, most studenta (except the weekend college commuters) lived on campus. We had a full schedule of student activities from seasonal dances, to club activities to movie nights and student senate. With so many students living off campus, how have student activities and student government adapted?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Scottsdale, I hope to get out there soon! I appreciate your question since that reflects my own student experience, but of course, so much has changed since we were in college, not just at Trinity but everywhere. But in fact, our students do maintain our traditions quite well --- in some cases, more seriously than when I was a student! Trinity medals are so important to our first year students, and then the Sophomore Pin, Junior Ring --- all leading up to the biggest day next to commencement, which is Cap & Gown! Our students love these traditions. Just stand up in a crowded room and ask for the Red Class to shout out, the noise is deafening. Student government and activities may change with the times in their style --- they're all on Facebook now --- but the full engagement of Trinity students with their collegiate lives is as robust as ever. And, with the surge in our full-time enrollment (more than 800 traditional-aged students in the women's college this year) our residence halls are packed to capacity!

Great Falls, Va.: President McGuire: You gave a great response to the question from "access and accessibility." The person's perspective that "Lack of wealth and academic preparation have always been a barrier to higher education," and the implication that it's okay to let that paradigm continue, simply proves why Trinity is absolutely doing the right thing by providing a high quality, affordable education to under-served students in Washington. Keep up the great work! As an alumna from the 1950s I am very proud of what Trinity is doing today!

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Great Falls, I appreciate your shout out!

Washington, D.C.: Prez McGuire: You are doing such a great job at Trinity. Do you work in partnership with D.C. Public Schools and Chancellor Michelle Rhee?

Pat McGuire: Yes, Washington, I'm pleased to say that we work with DCPS and Chancellor Rhee --- and we had a terrific meeting with the Chancellor and her team just recently to plan some additional strategies. Trinity really believes in partnership with all of our area school systems, especially the DC Schools!

Alexandria, Va.: Pat, when do you plan to retire as president of Trinity?

Pat McGuire: I have no plans --- heck, I'm only 57, I have a long career ahead of me! But thanks for asking...

Washington, D.C.: Hello President McGuire, as a current student in the College of Arts and Sciences I found something particularly disturbing when I was filling out my FAFSA for next year. Trinity only had a graduation rate of 40 percent, while other area colleges had graduation rates upwards to 90 percent. My question is what is the college doing as a whole to increase there graduation rate so that the student from Anacostia sucessfully completes there degree.

Pat McGuire: Thanks for asking that important question, Washington. Our graduation rate changes from year to year because it's based on a federal formula for each year's entering class --- so some year's it's over 50%, some years below that --- I have just published an article about grad rates, since there are problems with the federal formula, you can see it on our website. But more to your point: Trinity is absolutely committed to ensuring that every student here can earn a degree if she invests the time and effort in her studies. We do study the trends, and some of our students have to stop out for their families, and some have financial burdens that even we can't help. Another point about grad rates --- many students change to part-time status, which often means that they take longer than six years to finish, but the federal formula cuts off at six years. Final point: the new first year experience program is specifically designed to promote better retention and academic success, and I'm pleased to say that we're seeing much better rates. In fact, 90% of CAS students returned from Fall 2009 to Spring 2010, the highest rate we've ever seen, and this means that the long-term grad rate will be terrific for this cohort. Please stop by to see me if you'd like to talk more about this important issue!

Washington, D.C.: Where do I send a donation to support your work? Loved the story!

Pat McGuire: Sure! Just send it to Trinity Washington University, 125 Michigan Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20017, or go to our website www.trinitydc.edu and click on the Donate to Trinity button... THANKS!

Baltimore, Md.: I am currently looking to attend nursing school in the fall. I saw that Trinity offers two different programs one for CAS and one for SPS. For the CAS program are the classes offered during the day or are they offered during the evening and weekends?

Pat McGuire: Hi, Baltimore, we offer two different programs so students can come full-time daytime (CAS) or part-time evenings/weekends (SPS)... in the actual Nursing program, some of the courses and clinicals in the upperclass years do require Saturdays or some evenings, but as the program grows we hope that we can keep most of the CAS courses in the daytime. Email me if you want more info, president@trinitydc.edu

Albany, N.Y.: As a public university faculty member, I'm impressed -- Can you clone yourself and come run my university?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Albany, I've got my hands full here!!

Seattle, Wash.: The faculty seems to have put a great deal of effort into creating a strong curriculum to help students start off on the right foot and get the most of their time at Trinity. Are there people or departments who deserve special recognition for these efforts.

Pat McGuire: Absolutely, Seattle, the entire faculty have been fantastic, and shout out to Dean Liza Child, Associate Dean Carlota Ocampo, Dr. Cristina Parsons, Dr. Minerva San Juan, Provost Ginger Broaddus.... well, now I'm in trouble because I can't list everyone, but you can see on our website (www.trinitydc.edu) more of these great academics!

Ashburn, Va.: I enjoy following the great strides our Trinity Tigers have made in the last few years, especially with the new athletic center. Now that Trinity has such a wide variety of teams to root for, any thoughts to establish a homecoming event for alumni and families?

Pat McGuire: Great idea, Ashburn, I'll pop your suggestion to our Alumnae Director Margy Reagan!

Arlington, Va.: Thank you for leading today's chat, Pat. From the article, my impression is that you have more recognition for your accomplishments than Trinity. Why does Trinity struggle in gaining recognition in the national rankings? Those who live in the DC metro area aren't even aware that there is a Trinity University.

Pat McGuire: Well, Arlington, unfortunately, not having a nationally ranked men's football or basketball team to get us a lot of television time is part of the problem --- seriously! Most people "know" about colleges and universities today because of men's athletics. There are many wonderful smaller institutions like Trinity that don't quite get the "free" publicity from sports --- but we are delighted that so many people are starting to recognize us!

Lanham, Md.: Hi, I checked out the schools website and saw infommation on the Nursing school. Does the school offer a complete daytime program and what is the pass rate for the NCLEX?

Pat McGuire: Hi, Lanham, we've not yet had a graduating class so we don't have an NCLEX pass rate yet... soon! We do offer a complete daytime Nursing program through the College of Arts & Sciences. Email me and I'll send you more info... president@trinitydc.edu

Philadelphia, Pa.: Hello, I read the article with a bit of fascination -- I'm a graduate of Catholic University and yet, during my four years there (in the early 2000s), I never met anyone from Trinity and most people I know knew nothing of the school, despite it's proximity. Do you have any plans to reach out to neighboring institutions and other area universities to make your presence known and increase the recognition of the Trinity name?

Pat McGuire: Thanks, Philadelphia, Trinity is a part of the Consortium of Universities and our students can take courses all over town, and many Consortium students come here...

Pat McGuire: Thanks, everybody! It's been great chatting with you! If you have a question I didn't get to, email me at president@trinitydc.edu and please visit our website www.trinitydc.edu.... Thanks!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity