The Reliable Source: Tony Kornheiser, Bristol Palin, Jersey Shore's Snooki, 'newsbabes,' Ryan and Abbie, more

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, February 24, 2010; 12:00 PM

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, Feb. 24, at Noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

In recent columns: If you can't say something nice... well, then, you might be Tony Kornheiser (just suspended from ESPN for dissing Hannah Storm). Big send-off for Charlie Wilson. The importance of being Snooki: Jersey Shore kids seek to trademark their names. D.C.'s "newsbabes" are all great friends, it turns out. Senate staffer fired for writing an indiscreet book. MTV's "The Buried Life" fails to work its charms on Frank Lautenberg. Padma has her baby, Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish split, and Evan Lysacek and Nastia Liukin either are dating or are "good friends," depending on the time of the blog post.

E-mail us at reliablesource@washpost.com; bookmark us at Reliable Source; and follow us at twitter.com/reliablesource.

Amy Argetsinger: Good morning everyone. What's new?

Richmond, Va.: Did I miss something? Was Kornheiser somehow incorrect with his comments on Hannah Storm's outfit?? It was too short, too tight and COMPLETELY inappropriate. No grown woman should walk into work (let alone national TV) looking [lie] a rejected extra from a Britney Spears video. Where's "What Not to Wear" when you need them?! And why in all the articles covering this faux story, is there not one picture of the outfit in question?

washingtonpost.com: ESPN suspends Tony Kornheiser for on-air comments about Hannah Storm's clothes (Reliable Source, Feb. 23)

Amy Argetsinger: I figured a lot of people would want to talk about this.

I am going to pull up a link to a blog that has a photo of what we think is the outfit in question. Unfortunately, we didn't have access or rights to a photo that we could run. (Getting photos is more difficult than anyone realizes -- if you were lucky enough to be watching that day and get a screengrab of it, then great; otherwise it's not like ESPN is going to be handing out still photos.)

Montgomery Village, Md.: Wasn't Tony's punishment due more to the fact that Storm is an ESPN employee? If she worked for NBC, the ESPN execs may not have gotten their knickers in a knot. TK has criticized Feinstein's outfits for years with no problems.

Amy Argetsinger: I sense that that is the distinction, yes. Tony really has never had many kind things to say about anyone, and as he notes, he's always criticizing people's sartorial choices.

But I think there's arguably a difference when you're talking about a colleague, and when there's arguably a veneer of sexism/ageism... rightly or wrongly, adds a whole new dimension of sensitivity.

Fashion sense: Anyone who watches Tony K would know to disregard any statement on fashion from him. Unless Wilbon has helped Mr. K dress, he looks like a cheap used car salesman.

Love his take on sports!

Amy Argetsinger: As Tony himself said, "no one should take anything I say about them personally, because I am a troll."

Kornheiser Storm: Okay, Tony's comments were a little over-the-top but SO was that outfit! "Mutton dressed up as lamb," as grandma would say. But a two-week suspension? Is there some back story (of tension) between Kornheiser and Storm I'm missing?

Amy Argetsinger: I don't think so. Kornheiser said on-air that the two of them have never met before; the only time they talked, apparently, is when he called to apologize.

Exeter, N.H.: Not a gossip question but I find that I love the Snowboarder in Space ad. I was astonished to find out that the music by Perfect Day by Lou Reed. That might be my non-sports highlight from these Olympics.

Amy Argetsinger: A little bit of Lou Reed improves almost anything. He's like bacon that way.

Ack!Ack!Ack!: That's me, upon hearing that Bristol Palin will be playing herself in "The Secret Life of the American Teenager!" Really? Why? Oh, wait -- is it the money and publicity? It just seems so bizarre and wrong.

washingtonpost.com: Bristol Palin, 'thrilled' to be going Hollywood (Post, Feb. 24)

Amy Argetsinger: I think maybe the Palins are jealous of all the attention the Scott Brown family is getting. They had to step it up.

Annapolis, Md.: Good for ESPN, but in my view it's too little, too late. I'm a 40-something woman, not a prude or a virgin, but I no longer watch PIT or Around the Horn because they remind me of a men's locker room or frat house. All the smutty comments and focus on "hot" women -- the only thing Wilbon wants to watch on the Olympics is hockey and Lindsey Vonn? And he is married to a lawyer? Please.

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks for your take on it.

washingtonpost.com: Hannah Storm

NOVA: Okay Reliable Sourcettes -- why nothing from you two gals so far on the Sally Quinn conflicting Bradlee family wedding brouhaha? Even Weingarten discussed in his chat yesterday. His was more about her Wash Post style section article and whether it should have run. But you must have something to add on this subject and the developing webstorm of articles.

Roxanne Roberts: We're not writing about this because Sally currently has a column in the Style section and we, as a general rule, don't write about colleagues. Sally and her editor decided to use the column to explain the family drama---and you know the rest.

Padma's baby daddy: Have we ever heard who is the father of her daughter? Any guesses?

Amy Argetsinger: Nope. We don't have a clue. I guess we have to wait to see who little Krishna (Krisha? spellings vary in various news accounts) look like when she grows up.

Tony K: I've loved Tony for years but it keeps getting harder and harder.

This is the guy who went ballistic on Paul Farhi over his review of Tony's first appearance on Monday Night football, complaining that he didn't think the Post would backstab him. And now he's completely critical of a fellow ESPN employee ??

Roxanne Roberts: Yep. You would think that would occured to him.

Double standard: I'm outraged by Tony's suspension. Monday night's PTI devoted a segment to making fun of a too-tight bobsledders spandex uniform. How is this alright but making fun of a female's too-tight on-air 'uniform' is not? I'm a regular PTI watcher and listen to Tony's radio show whenever I can; I'm boycotting PTI until Tony comes back. This is just beyond absurd. If Hannah Storm can't deal with all that comes from being in the public eye then she needs to rethink her career choice.

Amy Argetsinger: You make a fair point. But the dynamic is a bit more complicated than mere freedom of speech here. Imagine if you, sitting in the company lunchroom, started loudly criticizing a colleague's tight dress. You maybe shouldn't be too surprised if you get a call from the folks in HR.

"Because I am a troll": is now my new favorite phrase to use whenever I do something wrong, or stupid, or mean. "You shouldn't get too upset that I just ran over your grandmother, because I am a troll." Hmm, maybe it doesn't really work for everything....

Amy Argetsinger: It's pretty great, isn't it?

Hey, we're getting so many Kornheiser comments, from all sides of the issue, I'm just going to post a bunch of them.

re: Annapolis, Md.: Um, yeah...I don't think you're really PTI's target demographic. I doubt they're all that concerned with your lack of watching. What makes you hate it is what makes tons of men LOVE it. (And I'm a woman, but I used to work for a local sports team, and trust me, being around that many men, you have to have THICK skin!)

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks.

Hannah's Outfit: I actually think the boots are kind of cute...

Tony Kornheiser suspended from ESPN for Hannah Storm comments (Zap2it)

Kornheiser: Interestingly enough, my husband was more offended at Kornheiser's comments than I was. Frankly, if my outfit sucks, I'd want someone to tell me. But, I'd need to see photographic evidence of said outfit to determine just how wrong it was.

ESPN is just covering their butts. Once again, political correctness trumps all. Lame.

TK: Longtime Washingtonian here and I just got to say, I love me some Tony Kornheiser -- cranky big mouth and all. Loved him in print, love him on the radio, love him with Wilbon. He is an original.

Rockville, Md.: "Hannah Storm"

They have names?

I thought they were all computer graphics. With serial numbers.

Amy Argetsinger: Um, thanks.

Arlington, Va.: Kornhoser is such a tool. Typical schoolyard bully: he can dish it out but can't take it. I love reading about incidents from the past where he tried to use his bully pulpit or seniority at the Post to intimidate others. Hey, Tony -- you weren't good on MNF!

Hi Roxanne: I helped care for homeless cats in Woodbridge during the recent storms. Not easy hiking through 2+ feet of snow to do so. But they seem to have pulled through. A full tummy goes a long way.

Roxanne Roberts: Oh great: now I'm all mushy inside and won't be able to snark my way through this chat. Good on you! I have to ask: How did you know where to find them, or vice versa?

D.C.: Re Kornheiser: good to know that at least one glib, snarky TV "personality" got slapped for inappropriate talk although incidents like these seem to just encourage more of it.

Loved the piece on the News Babes!: It was an interesting insight into these professional women. But you did not disclose if either of you are members....

washingtonpost.com: Lunching with Washington's "Newsbabes" (Reliable Source, Feb. 22)

Amy Argetsinger: I thought the story was clear that this is a group of local TV news anchorwomen.

Charlottesville, Va.: Is this the first sports-dude/radio-jock layoff for sexism? (Imus's sexist comments about Rutgers were interpreted as racist, which they were too ...)

Amy Argetsinger: Oh... probably not. There have been so many stories over the years about broadcasters wristslapped for inappropriate comments that I can't remember them all.

Exeter, N.H.: If I made the equivalent of TK's comments to a coworker, I would be in trouble also. Those comments would potentially create a "hostile work environment."

Tony Kornheiser: Has always been a jerk. I wonder if he's going to be sent to Dissing Rehab. I'd love to see the step where he has to apologize to everyone he's hurt.

Amy Argetsinger: Dissing Rehab? Uh oh -- please don't tell me there's such a thing. Do I need to look out for my intervention?

Kornheiser: Isn't the issue here the way he commented? If he had said something like, "Looks like we have a candidate for what not to wear" or something like that, it would have been overlooked. But he went on, and on, and brought others in. Not very dignified.

Amy Argetsinger: Possibly.

Washington, D.C.: So, now that Bristol is an "actress" and abstinence advocate, is she a public figure and subject to fairplay in the gossip columns? I'd say yes, but I fear her mom may disagree and I am loathe to give that woman any more opportunities to stay in the news by taking offense at everything even tangentially related to her...

Amy Argetsinger: Well, Bristol has been a pretty public figure for a while now, and has already been covered pretty extensively... Not sure this changes much.

Padma's baby daddy: The NY Post is reporting that it's Adam Dell, brother of Dell Computers founder Michael Dell. And he is delighted and plans to participate in the baby's life. That baby is going to have one helluva college fund.

Roxanne Roberts: Well....maybe. The NYPost's source is an unnamed friend of Adam's, but he's not confirming or returning calls, so I'd wait before sending congratulations.

What would you trademark?: Your piece on the Jersey Shore looking to trademark their nicknames makes me wonder: Would you trademark Triple A? Or Source Babes? Or something else?

washingtonpost.com: Snooki, The Situation of 'Jersey Shore' aim to trademark their nicknames (Reliable Source, Feb. 23)

Amy Argetsinger: Ah, you see, here's the thing about nicknames. You can't just trademark them for the hell of it. You have to have a product that you're attaching it to. And I... got nothing. Nothing to sell whatsoever.

Dupont Circle: It's Lent, so our favorite commercial is back! Gimme back that filet o fish, gimme that fish! How do you like the updated version? I just can't stop singing it, please join me in the humorous torture :-)

Roxanne Roberts: I noticed it right away, too! Love it, although it kind of freaks me out.

Rockville, Md.: To me, the issue is not what Kornheiser said but the fact that he engages in copious self-worship, and as soon as someone attacks his alleged greatness, he goes nuts. Apparently he has no issue when it comes to attacking other people.

Amy Argetsinger: There is a history of thin-skinnedness, definitely.

Newsbabes: I don't know about the rest of them, but I've met Eun Yang and she's a sweetheart! She helped out at a fundraiser where I was a volunteer and could not have been more gracious.

Amy Argetsinger: Eun is as lovely as can be.

How life has changed: When I was 25, I would have found Charlie Wilson distasteful and Tony Kornheiser funny. Now, middle-aged, I suspect that had I had the chance, I would have found Charlie Wilson charming and funny (although I assume I would not have met the standards to have even dreamt of being one of his Angels) and find Tony icky.

BTW, I'm a feminist.

washingtonpost.com: Washington gives Charlie Wilson a fond, fitting send-off (Reliable Source, Feb. 24)

Roxanne Roberts: I was just saying to Amy that it is a good thing I didn't meet Charlie when I was younger because I would have fallen in love with him, like so many others. I met him a couple times before he left Congress, and he was delightful.

Newsbabes: I loved this story! Thanks. Speaking of local newsbabes, I have heard rumors that Lindsay Czarniak is being recruited for greener network-level pastures. Any Lindsay related news to share?

washingtonpost.com: Lunching with Washington's "Newsbabes" (Reliable Source, Feb. 22)

Amy Argetsinger: Lindsay, Lindsay, Lindsay! Everyone always wants more Lindsay news! I can only assume that network bosses are as charmed by her as Washington is, so I wouldn't be surprised if one day we're all saying "remember when she was OUR local sports anchor?" .... I think someone here is working on a Lindsay profile, will let you know when it hits.

Hannah Storm?: Really? This is her name? It sounds like someting from a D.C. Comic books. While I guess I thought Tony's comments unncessary, if you are a public figure you'd better have a thick skin, seriously, and a good sense of humor (perhaps a nice wine cellar would help too)

Sarasota, Fla.: While I think Kornheiser's comments were over the top (shouldn't have brought up the age thing, the outfit was awful, simple as that) it also makes me wonder if the ESPN stylist who dressed her was suspended. If ESPN wants their analysts to be taken seriously as sports journalists then they should dress the part. I'm tired of women dressing for roles in Austin Powers movies and men dressed like game show hosts. I am a thirty-something lucky enough to telecommute from Florida wearing flip-flops, but when I'm up working at the mother ship in D.C. I know I have to dress the part.

Amy Argetsinger: "I'm tired of women dressing for roles in Austin Powers movies and men dressed like game show hosts." Laughed out loud at that part. Thanks.

The Outfit in Question: Oh my. Just Googled it and what a poor, poor choice.

Roxanne Roberts: Yeah, but Tony is the last person to be giving fashion advice to anyone.

WDC: Tom Shales had to borrow from his mother well into his 30s? Really? Does he have a major drug or gambling problem? Or is he just a spendthrift? Wow.

washingtonpost.com: Tom Shales reflects on 'Father Knows Best' and his real-life Margaret (Post, Feb. 23)

Amy Argetsinger: See, we don't need to write about our colleagues -- they'll give you all the dirt on themselves!

Black Eyed Peas: Hi ladies,

Did you go to the B.E.P.'s concert last night? Well, it was great! The official after party was at the 9:30 Club, and sadly I didn't make it. There were rumors that one of the band members would be the DJ at the after party. True? If so, who was it?

Thanks. And Boom, Boom, Pow.

Amy Argetsinger: You're so 2000-and-late.

Chicago, Ill.: 39-year-old, male, married, lawyer here --

I wonder whether the posters talking about hostile work environments and sexist language have ever watched ESPN or listened to Korhnheiser on the radio. The snarky stuff is the whole point. If a male ESPN anchor had gone on the air in whatever an equivalent outfit would be, he would have been mocked relentlessly. So analogies to our normal workplaces don't really apply because we don't hold ourselves up to public scrutiny and criticism. Oh, and I've had a crush on Hannah Storm for years. Thanks.

Roxanne Roberts: All true---which is why this whole thing is so stupid. Tony is paid to be outrageous and offensive. He's a troll AND ESPN overreacted.

My punishment would have been to make Tony wear Hannah's outfit on air for an entire week.

Lent: As references to "Lent" have been made, does the social whirl in D.C. slow down during or because of this? I never noticed, but you might have.

Amy Argetsinger: I don't think it does, really. I was struck by the fact there was more than one cocktail party scheduled on Ash Wednesday. Of course, Lent always falls at different times in the year -- right now it's kind of quiet anyway, for normal seasonal reasons, but it carries over into March, which is always a pretty busy season.

Kornheiser: Having never seen him, I just looked him up. He has a face made for radio, so I'm surprised he comments on the appearance of others when his own is so open to...interpetation.

Sky Blu v. Mitt Romney: Last night I saw LMFAO at the Verizon Center (opening for the Black Eyed Peas)and all I could think of was the airline altercation between Sky Blu and Mitt Romney, especially when they were singing "I Am Not a Whore (but I like to do it)". It's a jarring image of Mitt while listening to that song.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, didn't realize they were opening... Yeah, that was an oddball story about Mitt's airline altercation. Link to follow.

Lindsay, Lindsay, Lindsay: I'm sure she'll end up with a network job, I just hope it's not sidelines reporting. She's so much better than that! It would be a shame to waste her talent on asking questions to athletes like, "So, famous athlete, how did your recent marital problems affect today's performance?"

Amy Argetsinger: Ah, but that's such a big issue in sports these days...

Re: Sarasota: It was the line "taken seriously as sports journalists" that made me laugh out loud.

Who CARES? It's SPORTS! Synonym for "play." There is nothing serious about this, and I scoff at all the weenies who insist that some dumb game and the media around it merits this level of attention.

Washington, D.C.: I am also a feminist, and I feel that what is sexist about the TK situation is that if he had said similar things about a man (and he has, as I am a regular Mr. Tony listener) this wouldn't be an issue. TK insults everyone, and he probably shouldn't have had insulted a coworker, that I understand. But to say that Hannah Storm shouldn't be criticized for what she wore because we need to be more sensitive to women...that makes the problem worse.

The Evan Lysacek question: Yesterday I saw that Billy Bush had evaluated their tweets, and Evan had mentioned Talia once while she had mentioned him 8 times. This seems a little one-sided to me. More importantly, how sad that this is what celebrity reporting has devolved to, analyzing tweets.

Amy Argetsinger: Wait, who is Talia? So confused now. Isn't it Nastia Liukin that Evan Lysacek either is or is not dating? Anyway, kudos to Billy Bush on the investigative Twitter work.

washingtonpost.com: Rapper says Romney grabbed him (Names and Faces, Feb. 20)

Charlie Wilson: The thing about Charlie Wilson was that he was pretty transparent. Unlike so many really "icky" men in power or the media. If you want to be a womanizer or teller of bawdy jokes or hot-tub loving, liquor-swilling kind of guy, then own up to it. I hate the "sneak around" dopes.

Roxanne Roberts: Exactly. Charlie didn't pretend to be anything different than he was----actually, he probably played down how serious he was when it came to this country. But he loved women and booze and never tried to hide it.

Sally Quinn off the rails: Hi ladies, I'm posting early since I'll be in class during the chat.

Any blowback from the ombudsman (or gossip you can pass along) regarding the non-column Ms. Quinn published this Sunday? It had the quality of a family newsletter, not something that should be published in a national paper. Did she really think the majority of the readers would care about the non-issue on non- competing weddings of kids we don't know and don't care about? Did she really think she'd win friends and influence people with that opening line about how everyone's family is dysfunctional?

I hate to say that this is a case of who she's married to, but there's got to be a more valid reason for the treacle that she submitted, right? Can either of you explain?

Thanks!

Roxanne Roberts: I'm guessing the following: Sally's column is her very personal take on entertaining and social life in this city. I believe she felt the column would be the best way to address public rumors about what was going on in her world, given she's has strong opinions about how other bold face names conduct their social lives. But, like I said, that's speculation: Haven't talked to Sally about it.

Washington, D.C.: Finally got around to finishing Game Changer, and I am curious about two things that are in there that didn't seem to raise anyone's eyebrows -- they asserted as fact that Bill Clinton has been having a long-term affair, but they don't go into any details. Why didn't any media outlet follow up on this, particularly given that he represents the U.S. in many capacities abroad and the book asserts that the woman was a foreigner. Do you have any info on who she might be? Second, there wasn't any mention I saw in the Post or other outlets about the appalling way that John McCain treats his wife. Why was this ignored, as I think it is an interesting and important thing to note.

Amy Argetsinger: I don't know, I haven't read the book. And I've only read a fraction of the many, many stories written about the book. I sense that I've read some of this stuff you're talking about here and there.... I'll add that it's sort of tricky for any media outlet to follow up on juicy allegations in a book or another media outlet that are based on unnamed sources. It's not that they don't believe the Game Change authors, it's just that they don't have much to go on and cna't personally vouch for it. And then there's also the issue of relevance -- neither Bill Clinton nor John McCain are running for president anymore, so a lot of that stuff, delicious as it may be, is kind of water under the bridge, and there's not much further anyone can take these stories... Not saying that these things should or should not have gotten more pick-up -- just explaining some of the factors that go into the thinking of journalists when they're deciding what to write about.... You'll note that some elements of the book DID get a lot of pickup -- the Edwards stuff helped jolt out some of the family's recent disclosures; and there was a LOT of follow-up on Harry Reid's comments about Barack Obama -- which of course was a bit more timely and relevant, considering Harry Reid is Senate majority leader.

Hannah Storm's outfit: Didn't Tony describe it as Catholic school uniform skirt? Perhaps the suspension is for inaccurate reporting -- no uni-skirt was ever that tight and short.

The Emperor's new clothes?: For the offspring of two rather attractive people, Bristol Palin seems awfully homely. Sorry, but surely Dinsey could find a lot of better looking honest-to-goodness actresses who are out of work and need the job.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, I think she's pretty cute. But that's not the point. Would any of us be paying attention to this show if Disney hired a random actress for the job?

Boston, Mass.: Was left speechless when I read Kornheiser's comments, but then I saw the pic, and the outfit is distractingly juvenile. Her Wonder Woman boots are screaming, 'Do I look hip? Is the kids are wearing these days?' Sweater is fine, could pull off the skirt with a conservative black sweater, black tights and black boots or heels, but the red boots should have been left at The Fifth Column circa 1997...

Not expecting that Storm: She actually looks better than I imagined from TK's reaction. The outfit isn't great, mostly because of the red boots, but not at all like a mutated Britney Spears take on Catholic schoolgirl outfit, which is what I expected. She's wearing a sweater and a non-pleated plaid skirt. Looks like it could be from Ann Taylor or some other basic clothing store. I just don't see it, TK. The red boots are a bit much, but that's all. Or if the outfit had been a black sweater, same skirt, and black sueded boots, I think that'd look fine. Do red boots really bother TK that much? Maybe he should host the fashion chat. But seriously, Storm looks like she is in great shape. Kudos to her!

And now for something completely different: That story where Southwest Airlines kicked off Kevin Smith because he is a large guy and did not pay for two seats...I don't get it. Just how big is he? He doesn't look like somebody from Biggest Loser coming in at 400 pounds....This story just confused me, but it got a lot of attention.

washingtonpost.com: Kevin Smith Reveals Why He's Laying Low After Airplane Drama (MTV, Feb. 23)

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, I've been similarly mystified. I'm seeing photos of him from last week, and while he's nowhere near svelte, he's not THAT big.

Hannahst, Orm: I clicked on the link to a photo of Ms. Storm, and my response to her outfit is "meh?" I didn't think it was that bad -- not great but nothing to get excited about. Perhaps Mr. K has been watching too much Joan Rivers, Project Runway, and RuPaul's Drag Race and fancies himself an expert on fashion.

RE: "No one should take anything I say about them personally, because I am a troll." : Unless he tries to get you fired, because I'd take that personally.

Roxanne Roberts: He wasn't tried to get her fired, just being a troll.

A local celebrity question: I heard someone say that there is a young woman Olympian from the Leesburg, Va. area. Maybe from Hamilton? What do you know about this? I was surprised that I hadn't seen anything yet. She apparently competes in one of those "modern" ski-type events....

Amy Argetsinger: Huh. Asking around. No one can quite place her. Sorry!

Woodbridge, Va.: Seems to me Brooke Sheen should get together with Denise Richards and compare notes. Didn't Denise allege abuse at some point while she and Charlie were married?

washingtonpost.com: Charlie Sheen enters rehab (Reliable Source, Feb. 24)

Amy Argetsinger: She did indeed allege abuse. Anyway, I slept better knowing Charlie was headed in for some preventative rehab.

Arlington, Va.: Kornheiser and newsbabes.

All depends who's calling it on whom?

Roxanne Roberts: So it would seem. I think part of the outrage factor is that he wasn't calling Hannah a babe. Would anyone have noticed if he said she looked really hot in those boots?

Perfect Day, Lou Reed: Let's not overlook the fact that the song is about heroin addiction!

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, aren't most of his songs?

on TK: There was a line and TK crossed over it. If there was no line, he could never be outrageous.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: So does this mean Hannah Storm picks her own clothes to wear on air? Isn't it possible this was a wardrobe choice by someone else, so wouldn't the attack be on that person, not Hannah? And just for the record, is insulting someone's clothes really a personal attack? Is that how far we've gone askew? Is insulting someone's outfit now a hate crime?

Also, I guess this means that it's OK to insult how man dresses, but to insult how a woman dresses suddenly has sexual undertones? That in and of itself is sexist.

Tom Hammond: Can someone PLEASE get corrective cosmetic surgery for NBC figure skating anchorman Tom Hammond's face? He's gotten to the point he's looking more effeminate than any of the skaters, of either sex.

Amy Argetsinger: If you worked at NBC, we'd suspend you right now. (I think the guy has had health problems over the years, so let's give him a break.)

TK and the Post: Is the TK story getting more attention here since he's Wash Post alum? Do you know if other media outlets are making a fuss?

Amy Argetsinger: Well, more to the point, he's a local guy, with a local radio show in addition to his national TV show. But papers around the country are writing about it too.

I don't know; there seems to be interest. Our story just ran inside for most editions, but online it got more than 200 comments; and it seems to be all anyone is talking about here today.

Tony K: I want to say something, but everyone (pro and con) is being so eloquent about this I can't think of really think of anything.

Roxanne Roberts: Ha! Go lowbrow for Tony! Maybe a Bronx cheer?

Local Olympian: Ashley Caldwell is a freestyle skier and grew up in Loudoun County.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, HER! Okay, thanks. I'm putting out the links to the stories the Post has done on her.

Local freestyle skier: Can't place her name, but yes in aerials. She did a chat on this very site last week, 16 years old, first Olympics. This is the first taste kind of thing, setting her up for Sochi (next winter games) and beyond.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, thanks, Ashley Caldwell. I even read that story. Anyway, link to the story to come, and also to her chat from last week...

If that's the picture...: What's the big deal? The red boots with the red sweater is somewhat tacky but hardly merits an on-air comment. I can't believe that's the right outfit.

Amy Argetsinger: Seems to be what he's describing. But whatever.

The Skirt: Seems to me that ESPN brings this upon themselves. Women in their industry have an unspoken obligation to maintain some kind of Babe-ish/youthful appearance so that they can appeal to the viewing demo.... So, this is the mutated result. Women who are dressing a below their age (although, Hannah is in great shape and more or less manages to pull this off).

If Tony has an issue whith what she's wearing he needs to lobby his employer to stop with the (unspoken) age discrimination. Until then, women sportscasters are going to try to project youth until the drop into their graves.

washingtonpost.com: At 16, Olympian Ashley Caldwell's exuberance is captivating (Post, Feb. 13)

washingtonpost.com: Online chat: Olympics: U.S. Olympic freestyle skier Ashley Caldwell in Vancouver (Post, Feb. 18)

Love Hannah Storm!: I have always loved Hannah Storm as an excellent broadcaster and during her time, sports journalist. Do we even know who "picks out" the outfits for these programs?

That being said, I saw her wearing a similar outfit on a Sunday SportsCenter during football season, just before their NFL coverage begins, and couldn't believe ESPN would put her on full-length camera in that crap. Lots of short skirt-high boots in the past six months.

More and more, when any female anchor is on, including some "more experienced anchors" like Lisa Cohn, they do these full-length shots. Not so much with... Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, Neil Everett, etc.

ESPN has been doing this now for a few years with their "moving cameras" on set, which is so ridiculous. To make commentary more... exciting? Very Anderson Cooper-ish. It still doesn't make their words any different.

Amy Argetsinger: Good question. I really don't know how much styling the top level TV broadcasters get. Certainly, they're subjected to a lot of hair and makeup work. And certainly they all develop camera-ready wardrobes (often including things that they wouldn't wear in real life -- magenta blazers, and what not). But I don't know to what extent someone is there saying "wear this, not that."

Um,: okay. Who is Padma? I could google that, but it's more fun talking to you guys.

Amy Argetsinger: Padma Lakshmi. Apparently she's the host of "Top Chef," which -- because I was raised in the woods by wolves -- I have never seen. But she's a pretty lady who is in all the glossy magazines. And she used to be married to Salman Rushdie.

Odessa, Tex.: Regarding the Hannah Storm photo that was posted showing the outfit in question: I see nothing inappropriate with the outfit. The shirt is not too tight, the skirt is a demure length. I think black boots might have been a better choice, but in no way would I describe the outfit as "Lolita-esque" or like a Catholic schoolgirl.

And I... got nothing. Nothing to sell whatsoever: Why, you're charming personality and effervescent smile, of course.

Amy Argetsinger: Why, thank you.

Washington, D.C.: Have either of you watched an episode of The Secret Life of the American Teenager? From the advertisements I've seen, it appears it should be called The Sex Life of the American Teenager.

washingtonpost.com: The Secret Life of an American Teenager (ABC Family)

Roxanne Roberts: Nope. I've got my own show at home. And the title: Because teenagers storming upstairs and slamming the door gets old fast. Or sitting in front of computer 10 hours a day. Sex is better for ratings.

At my Catholic high school the plaid skirt hemlines were always below the knee: And your white blouse was allowed to have one button open. It was a battle.

Roxanne Roberts: My Catholic friends used to roll the waistbands over to make the skirts shorter.

Separated at birth: Mayor Fenty and the GEICO gekko! Twins!

Roxanne Roberts: Pray tell, what prompted that?

Perfect Day .. again: "Oh, aren't most of his songs"

Well yes! But the commercial is of particular interest b/c it seems to be promoting the "wholesome" Olympic athlete culture

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, you're probably right. You pay more attention to the commercials than I do, I guess. All I knew is that I'm hearing "Perfect Day" a lot on TV, and I suppose, subliminally, that's responsible for my strange, powerful craving lately for snowboarding and heroin.

Kevin Smith: The worst part about the story is something he said in his podcast the Smodcast. Apparently he had an extra seat on the flight home he was allowed on, and then another the last seat in the 3-seat group was taken by someone else that wasn't Angelina Jolie-thin. Since the seat between them was empty, it shouldn't have been a deal, right? Even if she couldn't fit in the seat (which she could). Well, the flight attendant pulled her aside anyways and told her she probably needed two seats and she needed to ask Kevin Smith's permission to continue to sit in her seat because it infringed on his empty extra seat. It sounds like Southwest has a major problem.

Amy Argetsinger: I confess I haven't followed the details that closely...

Ashley Caldwell competes tonight: with other U.S. women in the aerials finals!

Amy Argetsinger: She's in 12th position heading into the finals.

Roxanne Roberts: The only clothes I want to talk about right now are snowboots---yes, it is supposed to snow AGAIN tonight. Jeesh. And anyone who makes fun of me can....feel free. Not a problem.

Anyway, signing off for now. Stay warm and we'll get through this storm and the next thing you know it will be spring! In the meanwhile, send your tips and sightings to reliablesource@washpost.com.

Hang in there, chatters and kitties!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity