D.C. Sports Bog Live: NCAA tournament upsets

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Dan Steinberg
Tuesday, March 23, 2010; 11:30 AM

D.C. sports bogger Dan Steinberg took your questions about NCAA tournament upsets and all the area's breaking sports news.

Jr. Feinstein: So it's nice to see the void Billy Packer left as the Curmudgeon of March has been immediately filled by Johnny Feinstein. I love how, within the exact same sentence that he calls the NCAA Tournament near-perfect, he unnecessarily rattles off 3 things he doesn't like about it. Nice. And then also unnecessarily trashes coaches who have a legitimate reason for wanting to expand the tournament (job security in this irrational, what-have-you-done-this-year sports world).

Dan Steinberg: Whoa, when is this from? Did he say something else about expansion?Look, people could deal with the amazingly awesome last four days of basketball in two days. You could say that Thursday was one of the great sports vieiwing days in recent memory, and that nothing should be done to change this event in the hope that such days continue until we're all dead. Or you could say, as Dan Shanoff and I do, that more of that awesomeness could hardly be a bad thing, and that some of the best first-round games (Murray State-Vandy, BYU-Florida State, Northern Iowa-UNLV) are just the sort of matchups between "mediocre" teams that traditionalists are saying no one would watch in a 96-team field.I'm telling you, I tried to watch Cincinnati-Dayton last night, and I just couldn't, because the winner didn't mean anything to me. But if that was a 96-team play-in game, I'd have watched, rapt. And rapped.

Redskins: Once again I have received notification from the Redskins that I have finally made it to the top of the season ticket waiting list and that there are pleanty of good seats available. But I better act now because they're going fast.I'm so excited.The only problem is I never signed up to be on a list. The only time I ever even consider going to a game if is my team is in town. Best I can tell, they put me on the "list" when I had to register online to get "tickets" to training camp when my wife's son wanted to go watch.Comments?

Dan Steinberg: Well, this is nothing new, and I guess I can't muster much outrage any more. If you tried to buy the tickets, I'm virtually certain that you'd be offered only club/premium seats, for which there's no real waitlist anyhow. Just consider it sort of direct marketing, with the non-sequiter of the wait list thrown in.Some call me naive, but I do believe there's a real and actual wait list for general admission seats, because I signed up three or four years ago, and I'm still told that I'm unable to buy seats. In general, if you don't want to get random e-mails from random businesses, it's best not to hand out your information, I suppose.But the team really ought to stop using the rubric of "making it to the top of the list!" when they're just trying to hawk premium seats.

ODU: How close do you think Old Dominion actually was to a second upset? Was much more impressed with their second round performance than Ohio ... though they're no Cornell ...

Dan Steinberg: Enough about your question, let's talk about me. In my round-by-round pool, I got all three of these games correct; Ohio was a mediocre MAC team and that wasn't gonna last forever, CAA teams just don't make it to the Sweet 16 (with, uh, one exception), and Cornell seemed obviously better than Wisconsin, whose first-round win was virtually unwatchable.As for how close Old Dominion was, in this tourney, if you're not losing on a last-second shot that hits the air with fewer than 5 seconds left, I can't muster any tears. They were down throughout that game. I still say Baylor loses to Saint Mary's, but Baylor was better than ODU.

Caps: I'm one of those Johnny Come Lately Caps fans (I've never rooted for another team, but I started following the this team in the playoffs two years ago, same thing last year, and then this year I've watched at least some of just about every game since December). Anyway, on Wednesday I'm going to my first Caps game since about 1988 or so. How early should I get to VC to soak in the "atmosphere" - is much going on before the puck drops?Also, I hope you bring back the A-11 next year as I enjoyed seeing my name (Grant Kronenberg) in print six or so times this year.

Dan Steinberg: Ah, the legendary Grant Kronenberg!I can't even remember when doors open. Is it 5:30 or 6? Help, anyone?There are plenty of people wandering around, and stuff like face painting for the kids, and that drum corps outside. Still, if it were me, the only "atmosphere" I'd be soaking up would be the nacho cheese and splashing beer soaking into my skin at a local watering hole.It is pretty fun to go down into the 100 level for warmups, I suppose. And if you want to wander the concourse taking photos of Caps fans with anti-Crosby signs, that's also a fun diversion.

Final 4 vs. Engagement Party: Friends are having their engagement party on April 3rd. What do I do? (my team will potentially be playing that day).

Dan Steinberg: You should feel free to throw me out of the club of anti-social male sports fans, but a few years back, we jiggered around our joint-gender baby shower so that I, and a good friend and Eagles fan who was helping host, would be able to watch the NFC championship game. I remember plenty about the baby shower, but I honestly don't remember much of anything about that NFC championship game. I'm sure it would have been different had it been "my" team, but I think I'm going to reluctantly tell you to DVR the game, do your best not to hear any updates, and go act like a normal human being.

Missing the point(s)?: Everyone seems to be focusing on how GREAT the comeback was by Maryland and how horrible it is that they lost on a last second shot. How about asking why and how they were down by 15-16 points to an undermanned team? The final flurry kind of obscures that inconvenient truth. They were outplayed by a team without both it's starting guards for much of the game. The comeback was incredible, but should it have been necessary?

Dan Steinberg: This is true enough, but what should we be talking about? Fact is, the lasting memory of that game is the comeback and the final 15 seconds. I don't think anyone would argue the Terps could have done better once Lucas went out, but the Summers kid was sort of shooting out of his mind. And Lucas/foul trouble or not, it's still Michigan State. This is something like nine Sweet 16 appearances in 13 years, I think. Is that right?Anyhow, it's like that Duke-Maryland game where the Devils came back from like 73 points down to win. Afterward, you don't wonder how they could be down that much, you wonder how they could have come back. That's the part that sticks with you.

NCAAs: Why do you think college ball, and the tourney, are so popular? One and done nature of play; decent number of white players; level of play poor enough so that average fan can easily distinguish between level of players. It's always perplexed me that in most things Americans seem to care only about the best/winners, and yet become fasinated with teams that the rebuliding Wizards would beat by 25 most nights.

Dan Steinberg: Wow, I don't think "decent number of white players" and "level of play poor enough" would be the things that jump out at me.I'd say the fabulous endings are key. Buzzer beaters just pour out of this event, and through history, those are the games you remember. The brackets are, obviously, key. The kids who fall down in tears at the end of every tough game are key; how many kids did you see with their hands covering their faces in the first weekend alone? The baby faces are key. The parity is important; the massive favorite for the title just got knocked off by a team that looks like the cast of an indie road trip flick, in the second round. The investment of time is important; seven-game series are great for the fans of the teams involved and the diehards, but you can't necessarily get a room of casual sports fans to coalesce around Game 2 of a second-round series the way you could with the Sweet 16.The amateur element, too, is key; sure, there are shady dealings in college basketball, but there are a whole lot of kids in this tournament who are just college kids playing basketball, and who won't ever see such limelight again.And some people just prefer the style of play in college basketball, the same way some people might like the Frozen Four as much or more than the Stanley Cup playoffs. I don't think it's about white kids, necessarily.

Bipartisanship, Redskins Defense, Bridezillas: That picture of young Alex w/Mama Ovechkin and Lady Jaws (I'm guessing from the old Soviet Women's Basketball team?) was priceless - any chance of you obtaining additional pix of AO as a kid? Perhaps a series of current Caps with their child pics? I can only imagine Ovie as a toddler bouncing off the walls (and leaving gaping holes)...

Dan Steinberg: Would certainly love to do that. We'll see if the opportunity ever arises. Otherwise, I could just keep stealing photos from Russian papers.

Hokies: I'm still bitter over the Hokies being left out of March Madness, so am getting a small amount of pleasure out of the win over the Huskies in the meaningless NIT. Just curious though - do they still do things like calculate RPI and measure strength of schedule through the postseason? I'd be interested to see how Tech's ranking would improve throughout the tournament and at what point they would have faced enough quality competition to make the NCAAs.

Dan Steinberg: I'm actually not sure about this. I just looked at the two free RPI sites I use most often, and neither seemed to be updated through the tourney games.Did you see Seth Greenberg and his players after they won last night? Didn't seem meaningless to them. I actually did watch that game with interest; my NIT indifference ends with teams that I have some sort of reason for watching.I just think it's so hard to make anything of NIT results. College teams dominate at home to such a huge degree, that these home-court early-round games seem kind of silly.

Redskins Tix: to go along with the earlier question, I too, have been receiving notices about ticket availability. I cancelled my season tickets after the 2008 season. They repeatedly called me last season to re-up and I am getting the same offers again this year. What about the 90,000 people who supposedly moved in front of me when I cancelled? I am sure there is a list, too (it took me thirteen years and a new staidium to make it) but I am not sure that people are pounding down the gates to get in.

Dan Steinberg: Again, it's hard to know exactly, because this isn't a transparent process, but from the things you read and hear, it would seem that former ticket holders don't necessarily get wiped off the books or sent to the back of the line after they cancel. Plenty of former STHs have told me similar stories, which again, sort of makes sense; it's probably a simpler matter to reconnect with a past customer than to start a new relationship with a fan who signed up in 1994 and by now has probably moved three times and/or died.The list the Skins showed to James Grimaldi included papers backed in boxes, if I'm not mistaken, and that's probably not how the sales world operates nowadays.

Caps info for Johnny Come Lately: doors open at 6, but expect big pre-game crowds in Chinatown bars before hand, which can be fun. Warm ups usually start around 6:30ish.and welcome to the fandom, no matter how long you've been a fan. Wednesday should be a blast. The Caps can potentially win the Eastern Conference with a win tomorrow, if Jersey loses tonight.

Dan Steinberg: Information.

Natstown charter members: I recieved an invite to become a charter member of Natstown, for $19.95. But then I thought, does Natstown have a system of ANC's and would becoming a charter member of Natstown ruin or enhance my shot at rising up the ranks of Natstown officialdom? Someday I'd like to be mayor of Natstown.

Dan Steinberg: I gotta write something about this. I keep forgetting.I don't see how you could possibly hold elected office in NatsTown without being a member. That's like some D.C. charter school basketball rules, if you can run for office while living in OsTown or RedsTown.I'll have you know, though, that I hate to have to pay for mere citizenship. I expect at least a badge or a donut or something.There's also the possibility that the current stink of NatsTown (metaphorically) might taint all the charter members. Maybe you should wait until 2011 to join. Then you could have like a coup or something where the new, clean, untainted members take control of NatsTown, and usher in a new day, and execute all the charter members.

Saint Marys: I know they are a west coast team, any way you can do an item on that Saint Marys point guard that looks 10 years old and wears a mouthpeice that couldnt even fit a hippo's mouth it's so big?

Dan Steinberg: No.If he played for Division III St. Mary's of the Capital Athletic Conference, assuming that's still the name of that league, then maybe.I had Richmond in the Elite 8 in most of my pools. I'm still very, very bitter at Saint Mary's.Also, why is it St. John's, but Saint Mary's? I don't get it.

VCenter for Caps games: Doors are at 6. There's not a huge amout of atmosphere in the concourses since they're so cramped, but you can wander a bit, watch warmups at 6:30, sign up for the fan club...(yes, I am a member)

Dan Steinberg: Can you join CapsTown?

Redskins tickets: I think it's funny that the guy said he got Redskins tickets offers. We got the same thing! We've had Ravens season tickets for 10 years and have never done anything Redskins related, yet we were offered season tickets right away...what list? Anywho, my dad photocopied his raven PSL card and sent it back to them saying "you're right..the future is now---for the team up north"The Redskins are still going to do business the same way. It may not show up the way it did on the field, but it's business as usual from the men in suits. Lies, deceit. I know plenty of Redskins fans who would love to have gotten the letter we (for some reason) got ... thoughts??

Dan Steinberg: I wouldn't call this "lies" and "deceit." Maybe they exist, but this is marketing. That's all it is.Your dad's response, however, is tremendous. He should have CC'd me.

re: DVR: I don't have one of those, so apparently I'm screwed.

Dan Steinberg: Well, since you're apparently living in 1993, maybe you could use your VCR?

Bubble Teams...: UTEP and Utah St. both flamed out in glorious fashion in the first round.I'm shocked that their superior Out of Conference Strength of Schedule, the determining factor in choosing these teams over Virginia Tech, didn't prepare them better for these games. Florida lost too, but at least they made a game out of it.

Dan Steinberg: C'mon. If you're going to do this sort of next-weekend second-guessing, you could also point out that the brutal, impossible, ever-so-tough ACC--the only real claim Virginia Tech had to a berth--now has exactly one team still playing, right?. Florida State: 0-1. Clemson: 0-1. Georgia Tech: 1-1. Maryland: 1-1. Wake Forest: 1-1.I mean, Virginia Tech was supposed to make the tournament because they finished TIED for third in this league that sent exactly one team to the Sweet 16. That's as many as made it from the MVC and the WCC and the Pac-10 AND THE IVY LEAGUE, none of which got their third-place teams into the dance.

Redskins Tickets: Ive been on the waitlist for years and got the same letter this year. They sold me a pair of general admission tickets. My fiancee signed up two years ago and got the exact same offer for full time general admission tickets. Just sayin

Dan Steinberg: Well, if it's true, this would interest me. And your fiancee woudl apparently have leaped past me in line. I've never liked her, truthfully.Every single time someone has told me this, upon further reflection, it turns out they're being offered premium seats.If you were on the waitlist "for years" and finally got the letter this year, that would make sense. Waiting "for years" seems to be the point.Trust me, if anyone can prove they waited two years and then got general admission tix, I'd love to write about it.

Gilbert's Corner, Va.: If you don't mind a personal question (that resonates with most of us in the same boat) - as your daughter grows towards pee-wee sports age, do you plan to become a total soccer/little league dad? And what painful sports pitfalls from your own childhood are you looking to steer her away from?Personally I'm still recovering from my parents entering me in a rollerskating race at age 7 - and I had no clue as to how to skate ...

Dan Steinberg: We have no plans yet. One thing that's becoming increasingly clear is that she's left-handed. If you stand her directly in front of a tree and ask her to throw a tennis ball into it with her right hand, the ball will dribble out at a 45-degree angle and miss the tree. But she nails it with the left.She dribbles her plastic balls with her left, she draws with her left, she eats with her left. So yes, I'm gonna try to make her into a LOOGY.Soccer certainly seems to be the default local kiddie sport around here.As for my childhood, I'll never forget the pain from not making the all-star team as an 11-year old in the 10-12 league. I cried. My lesson from this is: don't set heady goals, because it sucks to fall short. Just try not to be the worst kid in the league, and then maybe you can succeed.

Capitals: Really cant get into the Caps games as of late, I guess my Winter Olympics are waring off. I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the Caps have pretty much clinched home ice.

Dan Steinberg: C'mon, every swing through Florida to play sixth games with Southeast Division rivals is a great swing through Florida to play sixth games with Southeast Division rivals.The Caps so clearly got one of the worst deals with divisional realignment. You would still care if these were games with Pittsburgh and Philly, right? On the other hand, it allows the Caps to beat up on some weak teams and pretty much clinch home ice, but yeah.

Hits to head: Don't you think it's interesting that the NHL is cracking down on blows to the head, but no one mentions anything when 2 players fight and repeatedly punch each other in the head, while the refs just stand around and wait for them to fall down?

Dan Steinberg: Yes.

NIT: Hokies vs Rams: As a RI native, I'll be rooting for the Rams to crush the Hokies tomorrow night. Should be a pretty good game between two "96-team NCAA" squads.

Dan Steinberg: Were they in the Atlantic 10 together? Is this an old school rivalry?I went big on the A 10 in the NCAAs; have Xavier in a bunch of Sweet 16s and several Elite Eights. In fact, my hopes of winning The Post's strictly-for-giggles pool may rest on Xavier getting past Kansas State. That said, factoring in the home court thing, I say the Hokies win and go to MSG. Then comes the real question: does The Post send a Blacksburg-based reporter to NYC for the NIT semis, and if so, is that the best gig ever or what?

Redskins season tickets: I had my season tickets for less than face value (cheapest seats in the stadium so these suckers are cheap) and have not gotten one email. I got to beleive there would be at least one person interested if there was a wait list. Just posted it again and I am sure there will be no responses. Feel free to publish the link and that will tell us the true story. If I cant get a response after the link getting published in your chat, I doubt there is a wait list.

Dan Steinberg: Ok, here's the challenge. Cheap tickets for less than face value. Have at it, wait listers.

Teams that the rebuilding Wizards would beat by 25 most nights : I would hope that even a "rebuilding" Wizards team could beat a college team by more than 25 points? Nevertheless, that is the stupidest reasoning for not watching college basketball that I've ever heard. If people in America only want to watch the "best/winners" of everything, why would anyone be watching the Wizards in the first place? Wouldn't they just show Cavaliers games in every local market?

Dan Steinberg: There are people who feel that way about the NBA/NCAA, though. There was some back and forth on the Internet yesterday about whether basketball fans ought to turn down their noses at the college game.It's sort of the same thing in soccer, to a stronger degree. A lot of people think the future of American soccer fandom is more and more coverage of Europe, especially the EPL, with MLS sort of remaining where it is. If you can easily watch the very best players in the world play in HD, would you necessarily leave your home to watch U.S. kids just out of college?

Hokies followup: "I just think it's so hard to make anything of NIT results. College teams dominate at home to such a huge degree, that these home-court early-round games seem kind of silly."I'm sure it's a lot easier to get up for a post-season game against a Big East opponent (especially when Cassell is packed and jumping up and down to Enter Sandman) than it is against Longwood. which seems kind of silly that they got left out because a couple teams they beat were in the high 200s and 300s of RPI instead of in the 100s, which they still likely would have beat and been enough of an RPI difference to get them in.

Dan Steinberg: Look, I generally agree with you, but just make sure you're beating teams in the 100s then. Schedule teams from the CAA instead of teams from the MEAC. Never, ever schedule Longwood again. Go on the road once in a while. The RPI is no longer some magical code that only Northern Iowa understands; everyone has a basic understanding of how to prevent your RPI from being horrific. Tech had one of the absolute worst OOC schedules in the country; some of that was bad luck, but you don't bad luck your way into a schedule that bad.And like I said, the ACC's performance thus far hasn't made me feel too sorry for the Hokies. Hell, U-Conn had a wide, wide open look at a go-ahead layup, on the road last night, in the final 10 seconds, and the dude just missed.

Burke, Va.: Engagement party: the game will be on the TV in the basement man-cave. You just need to pop back upstairs and circulate every once in a while, and no one will even notice that you're gone. This is basic sports guy 101 stuff; did ya miss the orientation meeting on this stuff?

Dan Steinberg: That's probably true. Or just go in the bathroom and hit refresh a lot on your blackberry.

Redskin tickets: My bro after trying for more than 30 years to get season tickets. Yeah he had been on the list since he was 11yo finally got the season tickets last year. He was able to negotiate with Redskins and move his seats from the very last row at the top behind the end zone to the 45 yard line foruth row in the upper seating area. He cancelled for this year saying the experience was awful being surrounded with drunks yelling obscenities and vomiting. He couldn't tkae his 11yo daughter. And then getting reamed by Danny Boy for parking and concessions he figured getting his daughter a horse would be cheaper and money better spent. He sent Danny Boy a box with his cancellation letter. The letter was in a bed of horse manure. He was able to obtain Danny's home address and overnighted his cancellation last Wed.He said the experience was better at home Giant's games and can't wait to see what the new stadium is like. I have four Giant's season tickets and fly to all the home games from DC and then limo to the stadium.

Dan Steinberg: I'm going to go ahead and assume that your brother didn't actually send a cancellation letter to Daniel Snyder's home while resting in a bed of horse manure. But it's a very graphic description, and I think you for that.As for Giants stadium.....I've been there. I'm pretty sure I saw a drunk person. Or 50,000.

RE: Why people love college ball: I think it has a lot to do with style of play. The three point line, even though they moved it back a little, is still the great equalizer. Any decent team that gets hot from behind the arc has a chance of beating even the best.That, plus I think the previous commenter was on to something about the lower skill level. For instance, do you think Maryland's comeback--constantly getting steals off full court pressure--would ever happen in the NBA? Players are just too good at the pro level to produce the kind of wonderful chaos you sometimes see on a NCAA court.

Dan Steinberg: The three-point line does add something, for sure, but NBA teams can come back from nine-point deficits in two minutes with the shot clock and the 8,000 timeouts and all that. Maybe not via the full-court pressure in the same way, but certainly wonderful chaos.

Go BIg Red!: "That's as many as made it from the MVC and the WCC and the Pac-10 AND THE IVY LEAGUE"Don't be hating on the Ivies. At some point, the study of applied physics should lead to athletic superioirty, right? A little part of me just loves that Dale had to put down a $400 deposit to go to Cornell.

Dan Steinberg: I wasn't trying to hate. Just pointing out that when you stake your claim as being the third-place (tied) team in a league that produces as many Sweet 16 offerings as the Ivy League and the WCC and the Missouri Valley, your claim no longer sounds particularly impressive.I mean, the Hokies went 0-1 against Sweet 16 opponents. Evansville -- which went 3-15 and finished 10th in the Valley -- went 1-1. Get a better schedule, Hokies. You can do it.

Defense of NCAA: I think a huge reason that NCAA basketball is so popular is that a lot of people feel a connection to a team and that makes it more personal. I was never on the basketball team at Maryland, but I WENT to Maryland, so feel like I have some sort of attachment and vested interest in these kids playing for the school that I attended. I didn't go to any classes at the Verizon Center.

Dan Steinberg: Well, true, but you don't care about the Maryland baseball team, right? And plenty of people care far more about the Redskins than they could care about any college football team.

basement man cave: Burke thinks I'm a moron. There is no basement. There is no man cave. It's at an apartment. A woman's apartment. There is a TV, but unless they decide to have the big screen on as background to the party, the guys will be gameless. Maybe I'll sneak out to applebees.

Dan Steinberg: Who the heck is your team, anyhow? You're jinxing the hell out of them by even mentioning this now, much less coming back four times to discuss the issue. You better not tell me you went to Cornell.

Non-bitter VT fan: Hi Dan, I'm a VT fan who's not bitter (anymore) about the Hokies not making the NCAAs. They would have been in had 3-4 teams not lost in their conf tourneys and thus chewed up the at-large spots. To that point, I think the possible expansion to 96 teams stinks. VT fans were heartbroken about not getting into the tourney b/c it's a great achievement (for the non-powerhouse schools who make it regularly). If an additional 32 teams make it, it's not as special in my opinion.I'm not discounting the idea that more drama would ensue and that's a good thing, just think it waters down the competition. A comparison would be for college football bowls. Making a bowl game used to be a watermark of a solid team and a solid season. Now there's like 30 bowl game and any chump team that goes 6-6 can go bowling. That's craptastic.

Dan Steinberg: Ok, I mostly agree about the bowls being craptastic, though I still watch them all. But that's different, because the Car Care bowl doesn't mean anything. The winning team gets a trophy and maybe is made fun of a bit on the Internet. Some alumni will use it as an excuse to get drunk. That's it.The 96-team event holds out the possibility of magic. I'm not talking national championship magic -- I still figure this year's title is won by a blue blood, a Cuse or Kentucky or Ohio State -- but the kind of magic Saint Mary's and Northern Iowa and Cornell are enjoying right now. Aren't there teams that didn't make this event that could have wo a play-in game, and then done with Ohio -- a middle of the road team from the MAC -- did? Would they think it's a mediocre achievement, beating Georgetown in front of a national audience?I'm not saying there's some compulsion to change. It's great the way it is. But I think it would also be great with more teams.And while you're certainly right that Hokies fans would feel less joy about getting into a 96-team field, the UVA fans whose team DIDN'T make that field would feel even more agony. The shame of being left out of that field would make the last few weeks just crazy in BCS conferences.I can go either way, and honestly, I'd say an 80-team event with 32 at-large teams trying to win one game to make the 64-team bracket would be my prerefence. I'm just saying some of the negatives have been exaggerated, in my opinion.

RE: Why people love college ball : Emotion (not just jersey-popping, but real emotion)Absolute uncertainty about who will win most gamesLess East Coast/Big Market biasAnd yes, upsets being decided at the buzzer by a kid who looks like I looked when I was in high school.

Dan Steinberg: I'm down with all of these.but don't forget that college kids jersey pop too. I saw a highlight the other day from Bucknell's upset win a few years back, and those kids were popping the heck out of their Bucknell shirts. That takes some moxie.

Capitals TV Ratings: Dan,Any update on the aps TV ratings?

Dan Steinberg: I feel stupid, but what's aps?

RPI updates end with the conference tournaments: All RPI sites I'm aware of end with the end of conference tournaments. They're a tool for selecting/seeding the NCAA tournament, so no need for RPIs after the tournament is selected/seeded. If Hokies want a better out of conference RPI, they should play those schools in November & December, not in exhibitions in March.

Dan Steinberg: Agreed.

Yelling OH! during national anthem: Why on earth do DC fans still do this? Doesn't that go back to the days when the Orioles were DC's baseball team? I heard it at the Caps game the other night. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Dan Steinberg: This issue comes up every three months or so, but it's always fun for getting people unnecessarily riled up.Look, a Caps crowd is different from, say, a Wizards crowd. There are a ton of people from Anne Arundel County and HoCo and Southern Maryland, dating to the Cap Centre and Piney Orchard days. There are a good number of people from Baltimore. There are some of those weird folks from Montgomery County whose accents sound like they should be from Baltimore.In short, there are a lot of Orioles fans. And Orioles fans chant OH, now and forever. The Caps attract a hybrid fan who's not strictly D.C., and in any case, there are still some real live D.C. sports fans who prefer the O's to the Nats, for reasons of history and tradition and whatever else.I'm of a mind that the Oh should be limited to O's and maybe Ravens games, but there's no winning that argument.

The Man Cave: I'm dying to know who this guy is rooting for. Hasn't he heard of mobile web? Sheesh!

Dan Steinberg: Maybe he's rooting for 1979 Penn.

Dan Steinberg: I just watched the Caps 10 Greatest Games DVD set, and I'm pretty fired up, so let me go post something about that. Be back next week. Or at the Penguins game, if you want to buy me a hot pretzel.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity