The Reliable Source: The Salahis, Top Chef, Dennis Quaid, Kyle MacLachlan, Jeff Daniels, Michelle Obama, Kitty Kelley, Oprah and John Tesh, Justin Bieber, more

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Amy Argetsinger,Roxanne Roberts
Wednesday, April 14, 2010; 12:00 PM

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts will be online Wednesday, April 14, at Noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.<br><br>In recent columns: Has it come to this? Had to CRASH a Salahi party -- and got bounced out! Just a day after we got rebuffed from a "Top Chef" cocktail party. It's celebvocate season in Washington: Dennis Quaid, Kyle MacLachlan, Jeff Daniels so far this week. Michelle Obama's D.C. wishlist: To ride on the Metro. Wacky little tidbits from Kitty Kelley's Oprah bio -- her secret love with John Tesh, her diva fit in a G'town gallery. Justin Bieber forgives Obama. Jack Evans is getting married, Liz Taylor is not, and Tiki Barber leaves his pregnant wife.<br><br>

Congrats: on being the only ones kicked out of the Salahi party! You have truly reached a pinnacle! Now we know your coverage was dead-on, and that these folks will get as much forgiveness as they offer to others!

Amy Argetsinger: Thank you very much. I really wish I got kicked out of more parties -- it was a rush. Apologies to whoever wrote in last week asking that we stop talking about the Salahis -- they kind of forced their way back in this week.

Oprah as Prima Donna: How do you think this will play out ? Will Oprah acknowledge the book and perhaps even make it one of her "books of the month" or will she ignore the whole thing and let her high powered friends defend her ?

Roxanne Roberts: I suspect a number of her fans are actually interested in her life, even the parts she's kept under wraps.

Pecan Pies: Really, who amongst us has never called room service for two pecan pies and finished them off on our own? Seems you guys are getting a little judgmental.

Amy Argetsinger: over, years ago, on a Very Special Episode?

Prom: So who are the most interesting people going to the White House Correspondents' Dinner this year?

Amy Argetsinger: Honestly, I've been underwhelmed by the lists I'm seeing thus far. J.J. Abrams. Stephen Spielberg. John Cusack. A kid from Gossip Girl. Some people from "Modern Family." But I think the more buzzy VIPs wait until late in the game to RSVP.

Rocci Fisch: We are having technical issues that will hopefully be fixed soon.

Dennis Quaid: How'd Dennis Quaid look? Had he had work done? To me, he looks about the same as he has for 30 years, so assumed science and doctors are helping.

Roxanne Roberts: He looked good----little craggy around the eyes, which is good at 56. Otherwise---lots of hair, great smile. Doesn't look worked on, either.

Woodbridge: How is it that Kitty Kelley keeps writing UNauthorized bios? What, she can't manage an authorized one?

Roxanne Roberts: Kitty's books are so successful because she unearths the stuff that would never get into an authorized bio. If it ain't broke....

Oprah: I'm afraid to ask about this, as I am well aware that Oprah has the power to reach through my computer monitor and kill me with her bare hands right now, but are we inclined to believe that she really is a monster who just pays for lots of silence?

Roxanne Roberts: Not a monster, but not a saint. She clearly has bad days and the ability to use her money to get what she wants---not unlike other super-famous, rich people. What's interesting to me is that she acted as if the bad stuff would never get out. It ALWAYS gets out.

2 pecan pies: I ate a pint of chocolate/peanut butter ice cream in one sitting last week. It was great, but I wouldn't say my friends were all that interested in the story.I'd much rather hear about Oprah's diva moments than times when she ate too much.

Roxanne Roberts: Me too---except TWO pecan pies? Really? Unless they were the little-itty ones, that's a LOT of very rich pie. I have a sweet tooth and love pecan pie and couldn't do that.

Kitty Kelly: Hi. Your article about the book on Oprah was a lot of fun to read. My question is, though, how credible is Kitty Kelly? You don't think that Oprah would call her out on anything - so Kelly is pretty safe to say whatever... Thanks.

Roxanne Roberts: She's never been successfully sued by any of her subject. Some of the people in her books are not named, but no one has been able to prove that what she writes is not true.In the case of our item, I contacted Kelley, Oprah's people, and both art dealers mentioned in th excerpt and felt pretty comfortable that I had done my best to confirm that the story pretty much happened as written in the book.

So sorry about your recent social rejection: Would it help for me to invite you to my next party?

Amy Argetsinger: Only if you throw me out as soon as I get there. Because, you know, my standards have been raised now.

John Tesh, huh?: The king of hot tub music? Who knew Oprah had so little taste?

Roxanne Roberts: She was young.

Steadman: I think he has the REAL Oprah story...oh the tales he could tell...you think he had to sign something?

Roxanne Roberts: Bet he did.

Kyle MacLachlan & Jeff Daniels: Weren't you a little hard on these guys? I have never found them creepy - that's just acting. However, I do agree on your take on Daniels' goatee. Not so sure about that....

Amy Argetsinger: I guess a bit of tongue in cheek goes awry sometimes. But honestly, we were delighted to see them here, just because it seems like we're always seeing the same old celebvocate faces, or the same sorts of celebvocates.

Happy Anniversary: Bo, the First Dog! One year in the public eye, and I've never seen an unflattering photograph, or any stories about late night partying!

Amy Argetsinger: make out his eyes in photos.

Kitty Kelley Oprah biog: Is Oprah really that much of a diva? I lived in Chicago for years and people were always seeing her out on the street without makeup or anything, walking her dogs, looking/acting pretty normal. She doesn't seem like a diva...Cheers,Madrigal

Roxanne Roberts: I'm sure that's true. She's probably fine most of the time. In my experience, stars only play the diva card when they don't get what they want. That's the true test. The rest of the time...well, their lives are fine-tuned to give them what they want. No driving around the block looking for a parking space, etc.

Washington, D.C.: My favorite part of that art dealer story - the part where Oprah says she doesn't do stairs. And I know someone in the store pointed out, but, wow...I wonder if refusing to take the stairs could have aaaaaaany relation to the persistent weight problems?

Roxanne Roberts: Who knows? Doesn't everyone "do" some stairs? It's not like she can't move around.

RHWDC: Besides the Salahis, who else does your crystal ball say will be on the show....I keep seeing Mai Abdo, others? Do you think anyone will actually live in D.C. proper?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, you are so out of the loop. This show is pretty much all in the can, and unless they did some major secret retaping/recasting, Mai Abdo is nowhere near it. The lineup to the best of anyone's knowledge is: Michaele Salahi, Mary Amons, Catherine Ommanney, Stacie Turner and Lynda Erkelitian. Link to my story about Housewives taping to follow...

John Tesh : Boy, until I read that he and Oprah had been an item in Nashville years back, I had not even thought about him for a long time. What does he do now? Is he in broadcasting, playing New Age music, or what? Reading his name made me nostalgic for a time when Entertainment Tonight was about actors and singers and comedians, rather than Octomom.

Amy Argetsinger: He gave up Entertainment Tonight to focus on his New Age music, which I think I read recently is more in a Christian genre now. And he's still married to Connie Sellecca.

doesn't that sound like a story Oprah would have told on herself, many times over, years ago, on a Very Special Episode?: Yes. I distinctly remember her describing pouring syrup over a box of frozen waffles and eating the whole thing.

Roxanne Roberts: Not the cardbox box, I hope. Not that frozen waffles are that much better than cardboard.*

you think Stedman had to sign something?: (a) didn't they meet way before she was so rich and pwerful? and (b) when did signing something stop anyone?

Amy Argetsinger: Signing things stop people all the time -- no one wants to get sued, especially by someone who has bigger, better lawyers than you.

Modern Family?: Like maybe Julie Bowen who apparently went my sister's school, although neither she nor I remember Julie Bowen there.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, Julie Bowen -- pretty sure I read that.

Frame of mind?: What sort of trauma would drive one to eat two pecan pies in one sitting? Doesn't seem like recreational eating--more like angst-driven eating?

Roxanne Roberts: Has to be, but she's been open about her battles with food.

Oprah: Do you think she will make her guests promise not to mention anything in the book?How much fun is it going to be with her interviewing Octomom and Rielle Hunter (not together) if they have read the book and ask her a question?

Roxanne Roberts:

who is surprised that Oprah knows what she wants and gets it?: Hello, she didn't get to be the richest most powerful woman on earth by petting bunnies and kissing baby chicks. She is a hard successful business person who never takes no for an answer, that is HOW you get to be a gazillionaire.

Roxanne Roberts: I admire her drive and success, but everyone has to take "no" for an answer once in a while. That's life.

Oprah: She did try and go into a Paris Hermes store when it was CLOSED and claimed she was turned away due to racism. So her self entitlement/nastiness shouldn't come as a shock to anybody.

Roxanne Roberts: That was weird, but we don't know if it was a screw-up on the store's part or really a diva fit.

Washington: Did you see that link about Sarah Palin's contract that was found in a dumpster in California (apparently the University foundation that was paying for her appearance tried to destroy all the evidence so that they wouldn't have to disclose the contract under California Open Government laws). Shockingly, it turns out she is quite a prima donna. Six pages of demands! Nothing smaller than a Lear Jet 60! And, of course, all questions must be prescreened!

Amy Argetsinger: Well, I didn't read the full contract, but when I skimmed it my impression was that it wasn't that much different than what you'd see any celeb/VIP/political figure at that level from requiring. The bit about air travel was a little confusing -- she wasn't saying she had to have a LearJet; looked like she was saying it had to be business or first-class if flying commercial; and if an organization was going to send its own plane instead, it had to be at least the size of a LearJet. I wouldn't blame anyone who said, "look, I'd love to come talk, but I'm not traveling in a single-engine prop plane." This isn't exactly "fill my dressing room with white lillies and remove all green M&Ms from the bowl" material. However, it's perfectly reasonable for the state university system to debate the cost of her speaking fees, etc. I think people are sort of losing sight of what's news here.

My favorite part of that art dealer story: My favorite part was the detailed scheduled down to the minute, which she didn't honor.

Roxanne Roberts: Which is why the art dealer was so unhappy. He was repeatedly told how tight her schedule was and that he needed to have everything prepared per her request.

Bachelors in Congress: Ladies! How about some romance? Any eligible bachelors in Congress these days? In general, anyone wooing someone at 1789 or 7941 or other numbered restaurant? Any sweet nothings overheard at the ever-quiet Prime Rib? Any affairs, even?

Amy Argetsinger: You know what my definition of an "eligible bachelor" is? Someone who is not in Congress, for starters.(Prime Rib? )

I don't think Bo is that photogenic: And he never really tries that hard with his outfits.

Amy Argetsinger: He needs to learn how to Work It.

Let's pretend...: ...that the book is not about Oprah...would it be an interesting read?

Amy Argetsinger: What would the book be about if it weren't about Oprah?

Bo, White House: Bo looks like one of those flower dogs you order from 1-800-Flowers. It is controversial to say that but he is a funny looking dog. I am sure he doesn't care because he lives in the White House and has a great life.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes! He looks like a dog made out of flowers, or maybe like a cupcake-cake assembled to look like a dog. I mean this is a very complimentary way.

What sort of trauma would drive one to eat two pecan pies in one sitting? : Extreme hunger, a love of pecan pie, and stress.

Roxanne Roberts: Sounds awful, frankly.

That was weird, but we don't know if it was a screw-up on the store's part or really a diva fit.: But she screamed racision. Even if it was a scheduling screw-up by the store they don't deserve to be called racist.

Roxanne Roberts: Fair point.

Tiki Barber is fortunate...: ...that Jesse James and Tiger Woods have been grabbing the headlines. I am so disappointed in him, as a fan from his UVA days. What a fake! Definitely not "...an honorable man" as he claimed. And doesn't this other woman realize that she is in just as precarious a position as the wife? Good grief.

Amy Argetsinger: Tina Fey brought Tiki up midway through her Weekend Update on SNL, and she was all, "oh, you thought you'd snuck past this week!" I forget exactly what her line was, but it was something to the extent of how being eight months pregnant with twins is like being sixteen months pregnant.

Oprah: To have had one documented relationship with a guy, and it is John Tesh? Could this be the reason she decided to turn her back on men?

Amy Argetsinger: Ah, no, you see, this is why no man EXCEPT STEDMAN has ever been able to measure up.

Pulitzer Prize: Is there a Pulitzer Prize for gossip? If there is, then you guys deserve it.

Amy Argetsinger: Not yet. And thank you.

Doesn't everyone "do" some stairs? : WE have a young fit guy in our office who CAN't do stairs due to a heart valve problem.

Roxanne Roberts:

Ricky Schroeder is 40?: So, that makes me...never mind. Let's just say, "older." Sigh.

Amy Argetsinger: I'll say this for Ricky Schroder, though -- he's looked 40 for the better part of the past decade. Babyfaced, but weathered. And I mean that as a compliment. Having recently been to L.A. and seen a few too many surreally-fresh-faced men.

Green M and Ms: Why would anyone remove those from the bowl? It's the blue ones that just don't seem right

Roxanne Roberts: The whole thing is stupid. I bet if you blindfolded your average M&M eater, they couldn't taste the difference between the green or brown.

He was repeatedly told how tight her schedule was and that he needed to have everything prepared per her request.: So she gave them this detailed time frame and then went shopping across the street instead?

Roxanne Roberts: Yup---for 30 minutes.

Bo's outfits: He really works those white boots on his front feet, though. And I love his emo hair-over-the-eyes thing.

Roxanne Roberts: Kind of Sixties vibe, no?

Jeremy and Kyle: A double crush wammy: Ack! I was up at the mother ship earlier this week! Just blocks away! Usually I'm the envy of the office, the Florida beach bum telecommuter. Now I don't feel so smug. Guess I'll have to dial up "The Hurt Locker" and dream. And to top it off, my teen crush on Kyle MacLachlan was the only reason I let my high school boyfriend take me to see "Dune". SIGH!

Amy Argetsinger: Should I see "Dune"? I've always been fascinated by Kyle -- he's both compelling and unnerving. Though in person, very appealing.

I Walk and Take Stairs: I'm in the minority on this, judging from the comments, but divalike behavior is no accuse for an gallery owner/partner to make the crack about O "needing the exercise" WITHIN EARSHOT of her posse while she was there. Manners trumps attitude any time.

Amy Argetsinger: No one behaved very well, arguably -- which makes for a more interesting story.

Re Oprah and the art dealer: Um wasn't HE the one who wanted to make those sales? Seems like HE should've been the one wiling to go a bit out of his way to accomodate his customer.

Roxanne Roberts: I think he did and was willing to---up to a certain point.

Bo "looks like a dog made out of flowers, or maybe like a cupcake-cake assembled to look like a dog. I mean this is a very complimentary way.": Couldn't you say the same thing about Tai Shan, except as a panda made out of flowers, or a cake assembled to look like a panda?

Roxanne Roberts:

Americal Idol: Is this whole special "save" thing new this year? It seems pretty dumb to be able to overrule the opinions of the voters. I can understand how something like that was necessary a couple hundred years ago in electing a president, but in deciding who is a pop idol, it just seems a little absurd? If you cannot trust U.S. television viewers with this power, what can you trust them with?

Amy Argetsinger: They did it last year -- just to, you know, change it up, dawg. And then, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they use the "save" on Matt Girard? What the hell? It's like they suddenly gave some extra electoral college votes to Idaho, just to make things more interesting.

His movies may stink and he's not funny just crazy but...: At least Jim Carey can still get his name in the papers...

Amy Argetsinger: Yes. Until someone takes his Twitter account away, or we collectively decide to unfollow him.

Weird Celebrity contracts: When Pat Benatar performed at my college in the 80s, she had to have a bowl of green M and Ms in her dressing room! I know, because that was my job...picking out all the other colors from the 1-pound bags!

Roxanne Roberts: Sigh. Today you can go to the candy store and just buy green ones.

Jeff Daniels: What have you got against the guy ? He hasn't even been a top notch star since...well, he never was a top notch star so stop picking on him okay ?

Amy Argetsinger: Actually, I think Jeff Daniels is awesome. And like I said before, we're just delighted to see some different celebvocate faces, some demi-stars with a bit more edge. When he was being introduced yesterday, they were described him as a three-time Golden Globe nominee, and I was thinking -- really? He hasn't gotten an Oscar nod or two by now? He's done that much great work, and yes, I would count "Dumb and Dumber" along with "Terms of Endearment" and "The Squid and The Whale."

I met Oprah once in D.C. back in the day: She was much shorter than I thought but wore VERY high heels. She had on frosting level make up. She was nice and took a picture with me

Roxanne Roberts: Good for both of you. Maybe she still had TV makeup on. They slather it on like stucco.

Jack Bauer: In nine seasons, I finally take 27 minutes off, and the world falls apart. Really, can't a guy take a brief break for some fun.

Amy Argetsinger: "RENEE!!!"We knew that was coming, didn't we? It never ends well for the women who love Jack.

Disappointed in you two: I have to hear that Lindsay Czarniak and Craig Melvin are dating from Paul Farhi, and not you guys? What's up with that?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, I meant to say early on, but technical difficulties got in the way.... How about that Lindsay Czarniak story? And YOU the people are responsible for that. You've been pestering us for years for some Lindsay news, and that was the reason we got Mr. Farhi deployed on the case. And yes, he buried that tidbit deep in the story, which we would have put front and center -- Lindsay Czarniak is dating Craig Melvin!

Gosselins - How do they live?: Where does Kate get money to support her family? Does Jon work? How can he pay child support - $2,700????

Roxanne Roberts: They made a lot of money per episode from the original TLC series, and Kate has money from book deals etc, plus what she's getting by appearing on "Dancing With the Stars." I'm not clear if Jon is making any money now, which is probably why he's making noises about teaming up with Kate for another series. Let's call it "Jon vs. Kate Plus Eight."

Huh?: I'm still confused by the Salahi party. So you were invited, bought a ticket, but when you got there were told it was a private party and you couldn't attend? In what universe is this acceptable?

Amy Argetsinger: Private establishments reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, blah blah blah. Remember, they DID let me in, with the ticket they had multiple times solicited me to buy... it's just when they realized who I was, apparently. And hello, I never got my signature cocktail!

Dress Code: What do people wear to the Correspondents' Dinner?

Amy Argetsinger: Black tie. Ballgowns.

Demands, quality of: Sorry, but if I am in a position to demand candy, I'd be askin' for something way better quality than M and Ms.

Roxanne Roberts:

Rocci Fisch: Lindsay article.

BInge eating and Palin's contract: Ricky Gervais just said in an interview that he once gorged himself on 11 sausages and that he had to lie down because, "He felt like a snake." It can be a compulsion, like liquor or gambling.Re Palin's contract, the problem is that, while her requirements are standard for celebrities, she still paints herself as a straight shootin', moose skinnin' hockey mom. Specifying the type of airplane you need and, especially, your bendy straws doesn't play into that. But it does reinforce my belief that the woman will never, ever run for public office. She has it too good as a celebrity.

Amy Argetsinger: It's a nice life. But I do imagine the president of the United States also gets as many bendy straws as he or she wants. Ah, luxury!

Tesh on syndicated radio: It's like a New Age Hints from Heloise. Heard in the flyover states

Roxanne Roberts: I think I stumbled across it here one Sunday morning. Chatters?

Rude antigue dealer: I've been in his place, she was just the karmic revenge for all the times he's treated people who didn't look 'right' with contempt.

Amy Argetsinger: Hmmm.

Top Chef!: I sort of NEED to go to one of their events--any idea on how to find out when they are, before they happen??

Amy Argetsinger: They're not exactly courting publicity, so no, I don't know. Poke around the Web, though -- I think you'll find some blogs and Twitter feeds devoted to Top Chef D.C. minutiae of a level we'll never be able to get to.

So sad that I know this...: The removal of brown M and Ms was not about taste or Van Halen being way pretentious. It was actually about making sure the concert promoters and venues actually READ their contract. If they made this part happen, the logic is that they took care to ensure that everything was done right. Honestly, seems like a smart idea. If people didn't pay attention that that part of the contract, who is to say they paid attention to the money parts?

Amy Argetsinger: And bendy straws! Is that too much to ask for?

Bo looks kinda stiff...: like those things that you have made when your pet passes on, in it's likeness and have the ashes put inside...sorry Bo!

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, I would not go that far. We'll try to get you some Bo action shots.

Art Dealer Schedule: Oddly, the ignoring-of-the-schedule thing doesn't strike me as that bad (and I'm the you're-fat-'cause-you-don't-take-the-stairs poster). I mean, it's not her fault that her handlers were so insistent about the schedule, is it? Or maybe it is. Hm.

Roxanne Roberts: Ultimately, it comes back to her. It's her staff, so even if the schedulers promised something different, it was up to her to apologize for keeping the dealer waiting---especially when he was warned that she was SO busy.

Kyle McLachlin: His time at the University of Washington overlapped with mine, I think, although I don't remember him. Of course, there was 38,000 of us

Amy Argetsinger: Seems like he'd sort of stand out. You know who he kind of looks like? Stephen Malkmus of Pavement. Of course I overlapped with him at U.Va. and never noticed him around, so maybe that type can blend in better than you'd expect.

Oprah: "Oprah holds all the power in those interviews -- and remember, they are not live. If anyone asks Oprah an embarrassing question, she can have it edited out" My cousin was a guest on Oprah several years ago. He said it was all VERY scripted and there was nothing very spontaneous about the show. He was pre-interviewed by a minion, given a list of 10 or 15 questions that Oprah might ask and basically told that if Oprah found him interesting, she would ask all the questions; if she was not interested, she would just ask 1 or 2.

Amy Argetsinger: Why was your cousin on Oprah?

Green M and Ms: only I've heard that story about other musicians. It's an urban tale. The big question is why is it always the green ones?

Roxanne Roberts: Makes no sense. Like the rat/dog on a plane.

In my town: If Oprah stopped in our favorite shopping district, we'd be HAPPY she was strolling the block, patronizing more than one store. The owner sounds really rude and hungry for the PR he can gets dishing dirt on a celeb.

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks.

Some really great European dark chocolate, maybe? : Yes. Several members of my family have recently given me quality dark chocolate as birthday and Christmas gifts. After I had devoured all of it I went back to M and Ms and it just tasted like pure sugar. Now I must have good chocolate.

Roxanne Roberts: It's easy to get spoiled. I still eat milk chocolate, but not much.

Jack: Actually, I consider the death of Renee to be payback for sitting through one of the worst seasons of 24 ever. Renee goes from stabbing Callum Keith Rennie and Jack to purring like a kitten just few hours later? Really terrible stuff, even by 24 standards.Take out Katee Sackhoff soon and the season is almost redeemed.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, and btw, spoiler alert. But all that inconsistency you're talking about? Exactly why I love the show. My favorite part last season evil Sengala terrorist chief Duboku was having girlfriend trouble. It was like an episode of "My Three Sons" suddenly stuck into a ticking-time-bomb drama. Nutty.

Wahoo-Wah: Tina Fey, Tiki Barber, Amy Argetsinger - I wonder if the three of you ever hung out together on the Corner?

Amy Argetsinger: No.

I think Tai Shan was cuter than Bo at the same age: Ahem! Don't you realize you have some Portuguese Water Dog owners among your readership, not to mention some actual Portuguese-American humans?

Amy Argetsinger: Do we have Portguese Water Dogs here in the chat? Nothing would surprise me.

Rocci Fisch: Chasing fame: The Salahis' desperate 'Housewives' quest

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, here's that story all about D.C. Housewives and who is on it.

Does Stedman have a job?: I know he does not need to work, but he is supposed to have some sort of business but you never see him anywhere.

Amy Argetsinger: He's here in town for business now and then. I think he does a lot of motivational speaking.(Now that's a motivational speech I'd like to hear: "Get yourself a RICH lady!")

Oprah: Are you all planning to interview Kitty Kelly? Have you ever met Oprah?

Roxanne Roberts: I breifly interviewed Kitty for the item, and the Post has written about her several times. I have met Oprah in passing, but never interviewed her.

In the drink: Inquiring minds want to know, what was the advertised signature cocktail at the Salahi soiree?

Amy Argetsinger: I never got to find out!!!

Washington romance...: Sorry, I meant the Prime Rib metaphorically or figuratively or something. But besides Peter Orszag (that was so two months ago), isn't there anyone prominent and single and dating around here? Can we set some folks up? It's been very quiet in that department around here.

Amy Argetsinger: Hey, we can't get involved in the set-ups -- can't involve ourselves in a story. But YOU can set up some famous people, and then drop a dime on them to us. Reliablesource@washpost.com.

John Tesh: You guys know that John Tesh is an alien, right? That fact alone makes it interesting that he and Oprah dated.............

Amy Argetsinger: "V" hiding in there.

John Tesh: I know they were young, but I still can't wrap my head around that one!Are there any other Oprah exes named?

Roxanne Roberts: Not that I've heard of, but I haven't read the book yet.

Weren't you a little hard on these guys? I have never found them creepy - that's just acting. : Oh brother. They said "a pair of top-drawer actors ... who made their names by playing creeps."

Amy Argetsinger: In fairness, we did call them "creeps" in big letters in the headline. Maybe a harsh impression. BUT THEY ARE CREEPS I LOVE.

The law and Mr. Quaid: Hope no one asked Dennis about his brother Randy (Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon Vacation movies) and his mounting legal difficulties. Who doesn't show up repeatedly for court proceedings?

Amy Argetsinger: Randy and his wife seem to be on a very complicated vision quest these days. Judging from his coyness with just a jokey question aobut playing John Edwards, though (and did you see the video? very cute), I think we wouldn't have gotten far by asking Dennis about his brother.

Idol: Will that show just go away without Simon? Seems the other judges are awful and he is the only one willing to speak the truth. I cannot imagine the show being any good without him. It would be like when Good Times went on after Ester Rolle left.

Roxanne Roberts: Ratings are down a little this year, so I worry about next year. Simon is the big reason I watch. Will I tune in next season? I don't know.

1999: Does anyone like Chess pie? It's pecan pie without the pecans and I love it. For some reason I have never been able to like fruit or nuts in pie although I love apples and walnuts like there is no tomorrow.

Amy Argetsinger: Have you ever eaten two in one setting?You know, I'm thinking more about this, and here's what's remarkable about the story. It's not so much that she ate two pies in one setting. It's that she ordered two KNOWING she was going to need two. You know?

oprah eating binges: I seem to recall Oprah sharing a story about one of her particularly desperate times when she was on an eating rampage and even resorted to a package of frozen hot dogs without bothering to cook them. That's way worse than pecan pies, no matter how many, IMHO.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, that it awful. Frozen hotdogs. Horrible.

Oprah is a Diva!: Oh, wow, who'da thunk that!!! ?

Amy Argetsinger: of small embarrassments." Nothing devastating, in other words.

Colasante's partner hissed that maybe Oprah could use the exercise : Reading that section makes me think the DIVAS in that story were the two antique store owners!

Amy Argetsinger: Ha.

Sarah Palin: If you two were getting paid to give speeches, what special requests would you insist were in your contract? Bottled water with bendable straws?

Amy Argetsinger: I would insist that none of the audience members look me in the eye, and that they all exit the room backwards. Also: Pellegrino, chilled, no ice, with a slice of lime.

David Lee Roth, a Diva?: They were sticklers for detail.

Roxanne Roberts: I heard an interesting story about rock star contracts: Some of the stupid little demands were put in to make sure producers actually read the contract requirements: If the blue M&Ms were waiting in the dressing room, the stars were pretty sure that all the technical equipment and requirements were also in place, which were what the bands really cared about. Interesting point.

Rocci Fisch: Reliable Source chat archive.

even resorted to a package of frozen hot dogs without bothering to cook them: OK, now people are just making stuff up. A HUMAN being could not BITE through frozen hots dogs. Jeeze.

Amy Argetsinger: You could kind of let them thaw in your mouth.

BUT THEY ARE CREEPS I LOVE.: I used to feel that way about Nicolas Cage, but now I just think he's an actual creep.

Amy Argetsinger: Such a fine line, isn't it? Oh, and by the way, have I mentioned my theory that Peter Saarsgaard is this generation's new King of Irresistible Creeps? He's the new Christopher Walken. As soon as he walks on to the screen in "An Education," your skin crawls, in a delicious way.

Cousin on Oprah: He is a physiotherapist/trainer and that year his clients won the Chicago marathon (I believe the female even broke the world record at the race that year). Oprah had the male and female winners on and my cousin.

Amy Argetsinger: Okay, thanks.

He was pre-interviewed by a "minion": He makes it sound so evil. Out here in the rest of the world, that's called a staffer. One of a team of people who work together to achieve a goal. that's my job and yours. None of our bosses runs their office all alone, they have team members to do different parts cuz no one can do it all.

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, but I love the word "minion," so I let that pass.

I sort of NEED to go to one of their events: Stalker alert!

Amy Argetsinger: I'm beginning to suspect that the Top Chef stalking might be more intense than the Real World D.C. stalking.

Re Palin's contract, the problem is that, while her requirements are standard for celebrities, she still paints herself as a straight shootin', moose skinnin' hockey mom. : And conservatives labeled Edwards an elitist for getting a $200 haircut-- to be fair Palin has far out-elited that with her Lear Jet demands. (Ah, hindsight, when we thought a $200 haircut was Edwards' worst problem.)

Amy Argetsinger: Wasn't it a $400 haircut?

Photo: I'm sorry; I don't know which of you ladies is which, but I really like the red necklace one of you is wearing in your photo. So, well chosen, whoever you are!

Amy Argetsinger: I think that's me. It's actually kind of orange. Thanks! We need a new photo.

A HUMAN being could not BITE through frozen hots dogs. Jeeze.: Nobody said she bit through them. More like a popsicle.

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, this is all kind of gross.

Ohhhh....: I just ate two pecan pies during this chat.

Amy Argetsinger: Didn't bring enough to share, eh?

re: I haven't read the book yet.: You're going to have to read it so we don't have to.

Roxanne Roberts: I have so many unread books waiting that I'm going to end up buried---literally---under them.Farewell from me as well. All this talk of frozen hot dogs and multiple pecan pies... lunchtime! Talk to you next week.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity