The 'Lost' Hour: Season 6, 'The Candidate'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
Washington Post "Lost" bloggers
Wednesday, May 5, 2010; 2:00 PM

Join "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney each Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET to talk about "Lost's" sixth and final season.

Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006. When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, they write the Celebritology blog. Jen Chaney also acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com. For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

Liz Kelly: We've got the usual crush of analytical questions and comments to address, but I think we should all give each other a break today. We are, after all, in mourning.

Also wanted to paste in the topics Jen shared at the end of today's analysis -- all of which are up for discussion. Along with everything else:

What is the deal with Flocke's eye scar? It appears to have half disappeared and healed up ... just the effects of him being a corpse? And did anyone else think that when Jack woke up inside the boat on Hydra Island, he appeared to be in a coffin?

Okay, let's get started...

White Plains, NY: Amazing episode last night. I could definitely see Hurley raising Ji-Yeon, if he makes it off the island. He's already met her, and he's a big teddy bear. It may not be realistic, but it'd be cool, right?

Liz Kelly: Sure. And she'd get the benefit of having Cheech Marin as a granddad. But I'm guessing Sun's parents -- the Paiks -- would be more likely to raise little Ji Yeon.

Which again makes me think it was really odd that Sun didn't insist Jin save himself in order to save Ji-Yeon. I just don't see her being happy in the knowledge that her daughter would be raised by the same father who basically forced her own husband into being a murderous thug.

But, if some commenters in the blog are right -- it could all be moot because in sideways world Jin and Sun are still very much alive and capable of raising little as-yet-unborn Ji Yeon themselves.

Jen Chaney: Good point about the sideways world Jin and Sun. But still, to your point, Liz: island Sun doesn't know about sideways Sun (I don't think). So from her perspective, Ji-Yeon would be raised by the same man who raised her, which one would think would be a major issue for her.

But again, when you're drowning, perhaps you can't really sort through all that.

Portland, OR: I did find it moving that almost everybody who died in this one did so as a sort of sacrifice. Granted Sun was trapped, but I think she accepted it and honestly wanted Jin to leave and survive. And to be brutally honest, even though I wish he had, I wouldn't have respected him as much if he did.

Jen Chaney: Well, right. What a tough choice. We're all on his case for not leaving to raise their child. But how could he leave his wife to die alone like that and ever, possibly recover from it?

Not possible.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. I think we would have a hard time with either outcome. Though if Sun had specifically asked Jin to live for Ji-Yeon, I think we may have gone easy on him.

A little levity amongst our grief: You can definitely tell Matthew Fox was a model because that man can wear a suit! I'm just saying.

Jen Chaney: That man can wear a lot of things.

As I told our editor this morning, seeing that guy cry always makes me well up. Killed me on "Party of Five," kills me on "Lost."

Liz Kelly: He is a hottie. And I like that his hair is just a smidge longer these past few seasons. He wears it well.

They don't call him "Foxy" for nothin...

Another Question Answered: There's been a lot of speculation about how MIB could have been Christian Shephard when Christian has been seen off the Island (on the freighter with Michael), even though MIB said he can't travel over water.

There's a simple explanation, reinforced by last night's episode: MIB lied about the water thing as part of his "long con" of Sawyer.

Jen Chaney: He definitely lied about it. If he got them near water, he knew Sawyer would think he could just dunk him and be safe. Silly Sawyer; you'd think the con man would have recognized one of his own.

The question is: was MIB lying about being Christian entirely? Is it possible someone or something else assumed Christian's form?

Stunned in Milwaukee: From the wrap-up: "the final four who came to shore tonight -- Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sawyer -- are the same four the Others captured at the end of the season two because their names were on a list."

Very interesting, because it's Jin, Sun, and Sayid that went looking for them on the boat--all 3 of whom just died on the sub.

Jen Chaney: Good point, Stunned!

disappointed with Lost, D.C.: Hi! So first, this episode was a major bummer...but anyway here's my prediction:

Since Locke can't kill them and he wants them to kill each other, I have a feeling he CAN kill Kate and will use that against Jack and Sawyer, ultimately leading Kate and Sawyer to be the next to go.

Jen Chaney: You're saying he can kill Kate because she's not a real candidate? Hmmm ... interesting.

I could see Kate dying. In fact, I could see the scenario you just described totally playing itself out.

Liz Kelly: Someone posted an interesting theory in the comments this morning about characters dying either on island or in the sideways timeline, leaving only one incarnation of each character -- which would thereby allow the two timelines to merge without there being two Suns or two Hurleys, etc. So, yep, I could definitely see Kate biting it in one place or another.

Stanton Park, DC: So it looks like Lost's final big twist with Jacob/MIB was to play it straight, and to let people outsmart themselves. Over the last 5 seasons, people have gotten so used to double and triple-crosses, changes in allegiance, etc., that they couldn't process what was staring them right in the face--that there's a good guy dressed mostly in white, and a bad guy wearing black, and that's it.

Looking back at the season, it was pretty clear when Miles told Ben that Jacob's last thought was he (jacob) hoped he was wrong about him (Ben) that Jacob was good--this is not the dying thought of an evil person. If not then, the question -should- have been pretty much settled when MIB told Richard he could have the thing he most wanted, and Jacob said Richard couldn't--see, e.g. every good/evil story, ever.

Finally, I think one of you is letting your hate for Kate bleed over into hate for Evangeline Lilly. What exactly is the issue with her viewing Lost as a job, or thinking that character-based stories are more interesting than the sci- fi mythology? Why is it a problem that she doesn't watch TV? Don't blame the actress for the fact that the writers ran out of interesting things for her character to do . . .

Liz Kelly: By one of you, you mean me. And I've never been a big fan of Lilly.

And to be pragmatic about it, she did not come off well in that interview. There is a way to communicate that you're ready to move on while still being gracious and telegraphing that you are grateful for the chance you were given. I mean, before "Lost," Lilly was appearing in Canadian phone "dating" ads. Acting may not be the end all, be all for the woman, but she does come off sounding like a spoiled brat.

Yes, she did say she went through a period of mourning that the show was coming to an end, but then she launched into a tirade about what a bummer it was to not be able to leave Hawaii without asking the producers and how that constituted a lack of freedom for her.

Wah. How horrible for her -- to be stuck in Hawaii with fat paychecks padding your bank account.

I also wasn't wild about the fact that she questioned the handling of her character by the writers. She's not the first Lostie to wish things had gone a different way, but she openly professes a distaste for the mythology of the show and, to me, that -- plus the character development -- is THE thing that set this show apart from the rest of the prime time lineup.

And (see now you've got me started and I can't stop) her remarks about Allison Janney struck me as dismissive and rude. The interviewer commented that Janney was great on "The West Wing" and Lilly responds "Oh, is that what she's from?" I mean, how flip is that? And I find it hard to believe that she didn't know, at least by the time this interview was done -- which is after the entire season was in the can -- who Allison Janney is.

Finally, this bothers me: When discussing a scene she would have written a different way, she says: "...and then Kate subsequently goes to Sawyer's tent and lavishes him."

It's RAVISHES, not lavishes. Sheesh.

Okay. Rant over. I know I'm not going to make any friends by posting this, but oh well.

P.S. Daniel Dae Kim --

gives good interview

Jen Chaney: Dang, Liz. Just ... dang.

I don't have problems with Kate or Lilly. And in her defense, I'll just say this: sometimes a Q&A can read very differently than it sounded, the same way an e-mail reads very differently when you can't pick up a person's tone, etc.

Maybe she is a spoiled brat. I mean, I don't know the woman. But I didn't think the Q&A came off nearly as badly as Liz did. And I also think people get way too catty about Kate's character -- and Liz is hardly the only one. Lots of people -- women in particular -- have that response to Kate, and I think that's what Lilly as trying to express, too, that she didn't like how blatantly sexually manipulative Kate became at certain points during the show.

Liz, don't hate me! Just being honest.

Liz Kelly: No worries a'tall. That's fine. I think we've both read many interviews with cast members, though, and I just can't remember another instance where one of the core Losties was so critical about certain aspects of the show without at the same time bending over backwards to compliment it for other reasons.

For instance, Daniel Dae Kim in the interview linked above expresses his feeling that the Jin/Sun reunion got short shrift, but then he goes out of his way to try to look at things from another vantage point and put a positive spin on things.

Maybe Evangeline's problem is that she just isn't quite as savvy at the interview thing.

Key West, FL: Did anyone else like the nod to the friendship between Jin & Sawyer...Sawyer rushes to help Jin with Sun...Jin tells Jack to save Sawyer?

Jen Chaney: Yes, that was nice, hadn't thought about that.

Hurley Fan: A couple of reactions - I'm not sure if this is some kind of self-defense mechanism, but, coming on the heels of Sayid's offscreen detonation, losing Jin and Sun also seemed forced and rushed to me - especially when the "Life and Death" theme started playing. I thought great, so now the writers have just three eps left, so they have to scratch out other candidates asap. Which of course made me sad thinking they'll just as summarily X-out my boy Hugo just to narrow down the list and make a point that MIB is truly the big bad. I totally agree with I think it was Jen who wrote that Charlie's death had more impact - perhaps b/c there was no sideways Charlie of whom we were aware at the time. I loved the stuff between Sideways Jack and Locke, though -

And oh yeah - I think the think about the Apollo Bar was that Sideways Jack got it the first time; he didn't need help from Jacob.

Jen Chaney: Yes, good point about the Apollo bar. This Jack can operate a vending machine, dang it!

I agree about Charlie's death. I thought the Jin and Sun moment was moving, but I also think we were perhaps disproportionately moved because the fans desperately need an excuse to cry right now. We're all sad that the show is ending, so we're just aching for any moment in the show to give us permission to start weeping. Or maybe it's just me.

I hope they don't summarily X out Hurley, as you said. If he dies, I hope they give that character his due.

Liz Kelly: Really? I don't think we're sad about Jin and Sun because they're death served as some kind of proxy for the show coming to an end or because we were desperate for an emotional moment.

They were beloved characters, longtime fan favorites and we've been pulling for a happy reunion for those two for two seasons now. The fact that they die, and so needlessly, is a heartbreaker.

And, so far, they are leading our poll of most heartbreaking deaths. So nyah.

Jen Chaney: Oh, I loved the characters and agree that their deaths are heartbreaking. I just don't think the death was handled with the same grace that, say, Charlie's was. Obviously a subjective thing, but that's just my opinion.

Look, I started getting verklempt when Helen walked into Locke's room and saw him in the hospital bed. So my threshold for tearyness right now is exceedingly low.

Frank Lapidus: Are we to assume that he didn't survive? It looked like he got hit with the sub door, and we don't see him on the beach with the other folks at the end.

Jen Chaney: I am assuming he may be alive. But he may not be. Last night definitely did not clarify.

If he did die, then poor Jeff Fahey was brutally underused this season.

Jersey City, NJ: Saaaaawyer........WHY???? why couldn't you just listen to Jack, always the hothead, never trusting...now look what you have done! Jin and Sun are DEAD!

washingtonpost.com: Juliet disagrees with your hypothesis.

Liz Kelly: As one astute commenter pointed out, Sawyer is season 6 Jack. He's running around like a bull in a China shop, taking matters into his own hands and acting before thinking things through.

And Jack is, I suppose, Locke. Locke is MIB. It's like musical chairs up in this joint.

Brooklyn, NY: I'm a little disappointed at how quickly Sayid's death was overshadowed by Sun & Jin. At least he was redeemed, but Sayid doesn't get any sappy music? Maybe he wouldn't want it that way, though...

Liz Kelly: I think it just didn't fit in with the story line. The guy ran out clutching a massive load of C-4. The whole slo-mo, slowly rising music thing just wouldn't have worked.

And, hey, sometimes death is like that. You can slowly linger as the water rises or go out in a blast without a moment's warning.

I think looking back over last night's episode, it was touching to see Sayid back on the side of the living, so to speak, and willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good.

I think his little tete-a-tete with Desmond a couple of weeks ago, when Des asks what Nadia would think of what he was prepared to do to reunite with her (kill Des and anyone else MIB asked him to kill), sparked the big change in Sayid. He had given himself up as "bad," but when reminded that he could be good -- that he could choose to be good -- he regained his humanity.

And that's a theme I can get behind.

Jen Chaney: I also was just doing an interview related to our Lost fan series, and the fan I was talking to happens to be of Iranian descent. He made a great point about Sayid that hadn't even occurred to me: here was an Arab character, with a bomb in his hand, taking it and blowing himself up to SAVE the others around him. The writers consistently played with stereotypes about Sayid and the fact that he was Iraqi, and this last move was one final way to toy with our notions about those stereotypes and telegraph that they are not valid.

Which is pretty brilliant.

so who was right?: My question is, Do you ladies think Jack was right in that the bomb wouldn't have detonated or by Sawyer intervening, he caused the bomb to go off?

Liz Kelly: I do think Jack was right. I think he's got MIB's game figured out.

Wait, poor David: If we're right about Jack being -the- candidate and the need for there to be only one of each character in the end, then sideways Jack needs to die leaving David w/out a father (talk about Daddy issues).

Liz Kelly: Well, but at least Jack and David have mended their relationship, so David's memories of his dad would be positive.

But isn't it equally possible that Jack dies on the island, leaving him intact in sideways world? I could see a scenario where he, ahem, sends the entire island to the bottom of the sea in order to put an end to MIB once and for all.

And I still think there may be something to MIB's inability to cross water. Sure, maybe he can do it in the form of John Locke, but not as smokey and smokey is by far his more dangerous form. So maybe by sinking the island, MIB as Smokey is contained and MIB as Locke -- trapped in a human body -- is drowned?

I'm so in the weeds here it ain't even funny.

Jen Chaney: The funny thing is that I totally understand you.

Did Sayid really need to "save" anybody?: If he'd just left the C4 sitting on the table the countdown would have run down and then (a la Blackrock) there would have been a big -nothing- - since Smokey can't murder the candidates. It was really just an elaborate suicide that caused a lot of problems.

Jen Chaney: I thought once Sawyer yanked the wire they were in trouble, so Sayid had to do something.

(That scene reminded me of the moment on the freighter, when Sayid, Desmond and Jin were trying to figure out how to disengage that bomb.)

Arlington, VA: Is there an update on the Lost finale party (different night or cocktail hour) that you had mentioned last week for those of us in the DMV?

Jen Chaney: Not yet. Still trying to figure out what we can do.

I do know this:

Previously on Lost

, the Lost tribute band, is playing a show at Iota in Arlington on May 17. And if all goes well -- as in, I can find a babysitter -- I will be there. Would love to see some of you there as well.

If we get this happy hour thing together (still hoping we will) we'll send word ASAP.

Silver Spring, MD: As soon as Jack pulled that bomb out of the bag, I yelled -- "torpedo tube!" I can't imagine the sub wasn't thusly armed. And too bad Sayid didn't have time to close a few watertight hatches as he ran.

Liz Kelly: I had the same initial reaction -- that there had to be some way to jettison that bomb, via a torpedo tube or some kind of waste removal system. But it is also equally believable that they never would have had the time (three minutes and change?) to find it and get the bomb safely out before it detonated.

Jen Chaney: Technically, they had even less time once Sawyer fiddled with it and the clock started running down double-time.

That said, if I'm ever stuck on a sub with a bomb, I hope you two are there with me. Well, you two, and Jack and Sawyer.

on an outrigger: When do you think we will catch up with Miles, Ben and Richard?

I predict that Ben will die, hopefully a redemptive death like Sayid's. But...I also think Juliet might kill him....and here is how:

Remember that scene in S5 when a group of people hopped on an outrigger when they were time shifting and they noticed another boat following them and Juliet starting shooting and it appeared that she had hit someone?

Well I think Miles, Ben and Richard are on the other boat....and Juliet's shot hits Ben...It would be somewhat poetic if Juliet killed Ben.

Although I do wish a redemptive death for Mr. Linus.

Liz Kelly: Well, that is definitely an interesting theory. We never did get clarification on who was on that other outrigger.

As for catching up with Ben and the boys -- I'm guessing it won't be next week since **SPOILER** the episode will allegedly feature none of the regular characters and instead concentrate on Jacob and MIB's back story.**END SPOILER**

The last we saw of Ben, Miles and Richard they were headed back to New Otherton to look for explosives. Which reminds me -- another commenter pointed out that the C-4 in the plane may have been placed there by that crew rather than by Widmore. Which means Widmore

didn't

leave a crew of decoy guards at the plane knowing that they would be killed.

I still think Widmore *thinks* he's doing the right thing and took him at his word when he told the Losties he was locking them up for their own good. Not saying that is ultimately true -- just that he believed it.

Jen Chaney: Hey, that reminds me. Wasn't Ben supposed to fall in love or some nonsense during the May 4 episode? That so didn't happen.

Have to think that was a leak designed to purposely throw us off track.

First Aid Kit?: Haha I loved how Hurley couldn't find the first aid kit when there were two shots of a first aid kit in the control room...

Jen Chaney: Yes, there's a screenshot that makes it clear the first-aid kit was right there.

SO IS JACK THE CANDIDATE??: Do you believe, based on Sayid's pre-detonation comments, that Jack is indeed Jacob's replacement?

Jen Chaney: I think so. And I think Sayid knew that because Desmond told him, as at least one other person has suggested.

Sayid: As mentioned in the comments, Jack's choice of words, "There is no Sayid," seemed very strange, rather than just saying Sayid's dead. Maybe Sayid is ceasing to exist in Island world because of his alliance with MIB.

Jen Chaney: I don't know. LindeCuse made it pretty clear that Sayid was dead on the island. Had they not said that, I might be willing to agree. Initially, I wasn't 100 percent sure he was dead because it happened so quickly.

No Girls Allowed? : I am submitting early because I have to be on a call at 2pm but last night's Lost was most upsetting because they got rid of another female character. I think you all discussed this with a guest blogger in the fall but it really seems like the creators have no idea how to write for women characters and all of the key roles seem to go to men. With Sun, Ilana and Juliet being killed off, we are left with Claire (crazy) and Kate (who clearly looks like she is next to kick the bucket). I know Liz hates Kate but she has been the most focused on female character of the series and even she was removed from being a candidate. What was the point of showing Jacob touching her? It's a fight between Jacob and MIB; only guy candidates remain; Ben, Richard and Miles are still running around; Widmore is still important; Eloise is off the island planning parties. It just seems to me that Lost has only given hero roles to men and has essentially eliminated all the female characters. Thoughts?

Jen Chaney: I don't know that they have eliminated the female characters on purpose necessarily. The male characters, generally, have gotten more meat and have been more of the fan favorites.

But over the course of the series as a whole, we've seen stronger women than you might see on a lot of other shows. I mean, any one of these women -- Ana Lucia, Kate, Juliet, Charlotte, heck, even Rose -- could outsmart someone just as easily as any of the guys, and easily win in a fist fight. The women haven't gotten as much to do, though, especially in later seasons. As someone said earlier before Liz went off on one of her anti-Kate tears, Kate had a lot more complexity and substance in her character in the first two seasons than she did as time went on.

She had her moments -- leaving Aaron behind was a heartbreaker, for instance -- but the development wasn't quite as solid as it was when the show started.

Liz Kelly: And I think the writers have actually done a pretty amazing job of featuring strong women characters. It's just that we're down to the end and what happens needs to happen in service of the storytelling, not because it makes sense from a gender equity standpoint. Plus, the season isn't over yet...

And, by the way, I think Kate in particular has contributed a lot to the forward momentum of the show. Those of you who didn't participate in our seasons 1 - 4 rewatch over last summer and fall may not remember, but several times I expressed how much I liked Kate in the earlier seasons. She was sympathetic.

Are the writers to blame for the cooling I, and many others, had for her her in later seasons? Or, as Evangeline Lilly "grew" into her acting chops did she somehow change the character's DNA? Not sure.

Jen Chaney: True.

And for the record, Liz did say some nice things about Kate during the rewatch. Begrudgingly. But she did say them.

Kate Has No Purpose: Agreed that Kate will be used to cause a death (probably Sawyer) as there is no other reason for her to still be on the show. She is completely useless at this point. Same goes for Claire. Can be used against Jack -- no other reason for her to be alive.

washingtonpost.com: Prediction: She kills herself to keep Jack or Sawyer from killing each other.

Jen Chaney: Well, but hold on. A potential purpose for both of them is Aaron. Assuming that Aaron is significant in any way, as we all once thought, which maybe he won't be. But that was the whole set-up for those two: Kate went back to find Claire, which she did.

I mean, at least one of the kids on this show should be left with a surviving parental figure, shouldn't they?

DC: Everyone dies in one universe or the other? I can't sit through a Hurley death scene. And I don't which Hurley I would pick -- sideways, successful, happy Hurley or island Hurley, who has shown such maturing and growth throughout the show. Jorge Garcia has done such a great job of slowly conveying Hurley growing up.

Liz Kelly: Well, it's only a theory.

But I think that all of our sideways world Losties are still headed for their own breakthrough moments when they recall what happened on the island. In that case, sideways Hurley (who already had his "awakening" thanks to Libby) would retain all of the spiritual growth made by island Hurley.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I think both Hurleys are evolved human beings. One just happens to be more outwardly successful. Although technically both are pretty wealthy, so in that sense, they both did okay for themselves. Minus the insane asylum part.

Ft Washington, MD: What exactly did Sayid say to Jack before he ran off with the bomb? I know he mentioned something about Desmond. But cant remember what. It happened so quick and the fallout was too devastating to remember his line.

Liz Kelly: Off the top of my head: He told Jack where to find Desmond because he (meaning Jack) would be "the one."

Jen Chaney: Yes, he's last words were something to that effect: it's going to be you, you're the one, use the Force, yadda, yadda.

Fargo, ND: I totally get this idea that characters need to be offed in one version of reality so that when the two worlds come together, all will be well. But just to clarify -- all the dying is being done on the island, right? I mean, I can't think of anyone who is alive on the island but not in Sideways. Or am I missing something?

Jen Chaney: Richard. We haven't seen him in sideways, although in the past, we have seen him off the island. But that's not the same thing.

Sayid: Do you think Des may have clued Sayid in to the fact that there's an alt timeline? And that's why Sayid acted so easily to save everyone? He knew there was another life for him, he knew he could be redeemed.

Jen Chaney: Very possible. I think something happened between those two beyond what we saw in the previous episode.

Rockville Centre, New York: Regarding the C-4 that Locke got out of the Ajira plane--Is this the same box that Ben had hidden in his hotel room last season? We saw him take out a mysterious box, about the same size, and bring it with him on the plane. Could Ben have unwittingly contributed to last night's fiasco?

Jen Chaney: Oh, that is INTERESTING.

Now I'll have to go back and look at that scene to check out the box in Ben's hotel room.

If that's true, how crummy is the security at LAX that they didn't notice Ben was carrying a bomb in a box? ("It's my bomb in a box!")

Liz Kelly: Not a bad theory at all... but would really make the TSA look pretty bad.

Dallas, Tx: Obviously our Losties had to get on the sub in order to move the plot forward, but considering it was the ONLY viable way off the island, don't you think it was unusually void of guards? It makes me wonder, "Where did Widmore and company have to be that was more importnat than that sub?" Thoughts?

Liz Kelly: Well, I think Widmore and his little brigade of scientists/gunslingers is spread a bit thin. They're simultaneously trying to force an electromagnetic event, guard the plane, fend off MIB and guard the sub. I'm guessing they were just one step behind MIB and crew.

Chelsea, Michigan: Am so confused. Didn't MIB Locke give Jack that backpack bomb when Jack was still planning to STAY on the island? Couldn't he have just been trying to kill Jack? So happily confused!

Liz Kelly: Well, I'm guessing MIB took a calculated risk. I think MIB knew they would be ambushed at the sub dock -- was counting on it, in fact -- and that it was likely that Jack would need to take cover by getting on the sub.

Not Doc: Looking back on Widmore's actions over the past few episodes, I would not be surprised if he were actually a part of MIB's "long con" of the "candidates" and that he and MIB are, for now at least, working together, even if their ultimate goals may differ.

For example, Widmore seemed to make it too easy for MIB to "rescue" Sawyer and gang and to get them on the submarine. Widmore could easily have brought along far more competent foot soldiers, but instead handed guns and guard duties to the likes of "Dirty Liz Lemon" and "Doughboy." Perhaps the sonic barriers were never intended to work but were just part of a show for the Losties and Widmore's unwitting lackeys. Perhaps Widmore wanted MIB to capture Desmond, knowing that Desmond was somehow a key to control of the Island's resources and reasoning that MIB would know best how to handle or neutralize him.

Perhaps what Widmore wants is the Island's resources -- i.e., the special electromagnetic energy sources -- and he has been offered this by MIB in exchange for his cooperation in a phony war to con the Losties, while the real war was really against them and Jacob. In this case, Ben may really have been Jacob's unwitting agent all along - thus the rift between him and Jolly Charles.

Perhaps my brain is starting to spin and I should sit down and just take in whatever LindeCuse have for us over the next few weeks.

Jen Chaney: I'm actually with you. The idea of there being an additional con is intriguing, especially since I still can't put my finger on exactly what Widmore wants here.

Liz Kelly: Okay, thanks for joining us again. Next week we'll reconvene to talk about "Across the Sea"... which keeps making me think of that Kevin Spacey fronted Bobby Darin biopic, "Beyond the Sea." 'til next week. And peace to all the Kate lovers.

Jen Chaney: We will see you then, when hopefully we'll have more "Lost" treats to share with you.

What does Jen mean by that? Oh, you'll see...

Thanks, as always, for all the great questions and insights. Sorry we couldn't answer more.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity