Lawrence Taylor, Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus's new video, more -- Celebritology Live

Liz Kelly,Jen Chaney
Thursday, May 6, 2010; 2:00 PM

Liz Kelly: Afternoon. Welcome back to the show. Jen's just finishing up a piece for the blog, so may be running a few minutes late. But we can go ahead and get started...

disappointed country fan: But only disappointed because I expected someone much more famous to be the major celebrity coming out. I listen to a lot of country music, but still had to wrack my brain to remember who Chely Wright is. I think its been ten years since she had a big hit?

Liz Kelly: Ah yes, the big mystery celeb who outed herself in People. I think what we have all just witnessed -- and been victims of -- is a massive case of exaggeration by Ms. Wright's publicist in the days leading up to the "big" reveal.

Jen Chaney: Sorry for being late, guys. Am happy to talk about whatever's on your minds, including summer movies or whatever's left to still chew on about the White House Correspondents' Dinner.Now, back to the chat, already in progress...

Mystified in CA: WHAT is with Justin Bieber's hair? How does he get it to stay perfectly sideswept all the time like that (and why would anyone want to)?

Liz Kelly: I can't be 100 percent certain, but if I had to guess, I'd say AquaNet.Every time I see that kid I want to grab him and shake him in some attempt to mess that coif up. Then I'd hug him reassuringly, tell him it's okay, that Liz is here to help and I'd smuggle him off to the nearest barber shop for a little trim.I have nothing against long hair, Just not a fan of the " strategically arranged to look as if a gale force wind has pushed it over one's eyes in a perfectly sculpted wave" look.That one kid who was cut from "Idol" -- Tim Urban -- same problem.

Jen Chaney: I was really hoping to investigate this situation at the Correspondents' Dinner, but I missed Bieber entirely. I clearly left the People pre-dinner reception at the wrong moment, and somehow never saw him amidst the chaos in the dining room.But I agree, there is something disquieting about that 'do. Although, as I've already admitted here before, I kinda like "Baby, Baby." Can't help it.

Underage girls go wild: Is Ms. Cyrus a pop singer or country singer? Certainly not a rock singer, since they appear in sexually suggestive videos, ec. Country music is America's music so anything that genre's stars does is okay.Pop would seem a gray area. What does her dad have to say about the video, or does he care a long as she makes lots of money? I guess I wouldn't take his opnion seriously, anyway, considering how long he kept his mullets (he doesn't still have them, does he?).

Paul Williams: s new video: Too much too young?

Liz Kelly: I'm not sure Miley has yet decided on what kind of artist she is -- well, except that she wants to be the kind of singer who turns out hits. Looks like she's again tinkering with the formula to see if Britney-esque sexually-charged dance pop is her thing.One commenter in the blog reminded me that Miley has on several occasions voiced her disdain for pop music, so it is kind of funny to watch her turn out this kind of stuff. I mean, based on her stated taste, she should be covering the Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead.

Flash Mobs: Any chance the flash mob craze will die a slow death? For every well done Grand Central Station/Ohio Student Union gathering, there is a corresponding Ballston Mall Food Court Mama Mia Flash Mob.Just make it stop.

Jen Chaney: That craze has been around for a while, so I'm thinking it's here to stay, in some form. like a pom routine I did in high school.

The View: Elizabeth Hasselbeck: really unfunny or just an idiot?

Liz Kelly: I'd have to go with... both.I think it has been previously established that Hasselbeck is somewhat of a dum dum. Which is saying something considering the company she keeps on her daily talk show.So I'm not surprised that she'd make a comment hinting that perhaps Erin Andrews shouldn't expect anything less than crazed stalkers and negative attention from men because of her revealing "DWTS" gowns.I guess Elisabeth would prefer it if Erin danced in some kind of prairie dress or something.

Jen Chaney: Elizabeth Hasselbeck also shouldn't expect anything less than negative attention for saying something so ridiculous. Then again, maybe that's her goal.

Please comedy Gods, let SNL be funny this week: I am really looking forward to Betty White hosting. She is hysterical. I hope the writers have stuff worthy of her.

Liz Kelly: Same here. If nothing else, we know that Betty is a consummate professional and brings her A game to everything she does. So I'm not so worried about the typical guest host pitfalls: misdelivered lines, an over-reliance on the telemprompter and being unable to carry a skit.

Jen Chaney: Betty White rules. I got the opportunity to interview her last year, and she could not have been sweeter.It amazes me that she's in her late 80s. We can all only hope to have even half of her energy at that age. I probably won't even be able to stay up late enough to watch SNL if I reach that age, let alone host the dang thing.

Real Housewives Franchise: Why can't I get enough of these shows? The "ladies" are awful, and yet I can't stop watching?

Paul Williams: Hank Stuever's insightful piece on the topic -A real sense of morality? Bravo, Bravo

Liz Kelly: I haven't read Hank's piece. Will do so after the show.I can't stop watching, either. It's become a sickness. Did anyone watch the "Real Housewives of New Jersey" premiere on Monday? These women have got some serious potty mouths. Good times.

San Diego, CA: So, Jen and Liz: who was the biggest surprise to you at the Correspondents' Dinner? (e.g., who doesn't look in person like they do in pictures, shorter, taller, more or less beautiful, what have you).And Liz ... it's been awhile since we've seen our furry friends. Are Andy, Opie or Page doing press today?

Jen Chaney: Let's see... Adrian Grenier has more piercing eyes than I could have imagined; they literally glowed in the dark during the Funny or Die pre-party on Friday night.Julie Bowen seems completely awesome. I suspected she might be, but I was walking out of the Hilton with her and actually got to chat with her and verify that fact. She was trudging up T Street in some serious heels. I asked her why she didn't have a car coming to get her and she said she did, but would rather walk than wait for it to make its way down clogged Connecticut Ave.And Bradley Cooper is stunning, but I pretty much knew that already.

Liz Kelly: I sat on the sidelines for this year's Correspondents Dinner. Too much baby, too little time to find a maternity formal.My biggest surprise: That Jen managed to wait until the last sentence of her answer above to mention Bradley Cooper. (She totally hearts him. But, then, who wouldn't?)And, sadly, no pix of the animal kingdom this week. I'll try to snap some before next week's chat.

Dammit: I like "Baby, Baby" too. I wish to God I didn't, but I do. It's catchy and I didn't know it was the Beeb at first so....

Jen Chaney: It's true. If you put that song on and don't tell anyone it's Bieber, I bet most people will admit to liking it. It's a very catchy pop song. It's the "MmmBop" of 2010!

Third Trimester: How is it treating you Liz? I'm eight weeks out and an achy, tired, puffy mess. With a weakness for dairy products and avocado.Here's my real question: how long do you think it took Kim Kardashian to scrape all the makeup off her face post-WHCD? She looked a bit ... embalmed ... to me.

Liz Kelly: So far so good. I'm ready to do this, but the baby still has about seven weeks left of cooking to do before he's ready. I'm a little achy from time to time, but other than that feel pretty good. Speaking of dairy -- just scarfed down some cheddar. Mmm...I thought Kim K. looked swell at the Correspondents Dinner. But maybe that's because she was standing next to Greta Van Susteren.

Jen Chaney: I was standing not far from her when she was chatting with Demi Lovato, and I can confirm that she looked amazing, and not at all embalmed.

88 staying up late: Will hosting SNL totally screw with an 88 year old's sked? I mean, the show doesn't even start until 6 hours after she's had dinner.

Liz Kelly: Hey, you're as young as you feel. And judging by her actions, Betty White doesn't feel a day over 65.

Dumb as dirt: So does Elizabeth "dum dum" Hasselbeck think women who wear short skirts deserve to be raped, as well?Can't wait until she weighs in on the whole Jenna Jameson/Tito Ortiz sitch ...

Liz Kelly: Oh, I can wait.But as Jen pointed out -- maybe Elisabeth isn't such a dum dum after all. Maybe she's figured out that her outrageous comments equal free press.

Hair of the Beeb: "I was really hoping to investigate this situation at the Correspondents' Dinner, but I missed Bieber entirely. "How were you going to investigate? Lift up a bit of hair to see if it all raised up as one unit?

Jen Chaney: Well, that would be unseemly, wouldn't it?I was just going to try to get a look at it up close, try to understand more about the mechanics of the situation. But no dice.

Still missing The Wire: So did either of you get to chat with any of the actors from The Wire at the WH correspondents' dinner? I'm particularly interested in Dominic West . . . I'm crazy about him!

Jen Chaney: I saw Dominic West but didn't get to talk to him. I did talk to Sonya Sohn; I turned around at one point and she was standing directly behind me. So I blurted something inane like: "The Wire! I love that show."She was very nice; good to see them still getting attention even though the show has been off the air for a bit.

Celebrity men and their floozies: Random women having affairs with celebrity men and then going to Gloria Allred about it to grab some fame and fortune for themselves, seems to be the new black.Think all of the "mistresses" coming out of the closet for a number of men will have any effect on encouraging them to either keep their pants zipped or not get married in the first place?

Liz Kelly: Short answer: This isn't a new phenomenon. We're just in the midst of some kind of mistress frenzy right now.I don't think what happened to Jesse James or Tiger Woods or any of these other guys will cross the minds of men (and women) who are looking for some outside action. In fact, consequences seem to be the last these guys think about -- instead, they all seem to be somewhat bewildered when they are (inevitably) found out.

Heidi Montag: Could someone stage an intervention with that girl? There was an article on Gawker recently essentially saying that television destroyed her life. It sounds hyperbolic, but I wonder whether they're on to something.

Liz Kelly: She really does seem to be losing her way. As we relayed in this Morning's Mix, she apparently is contemplating having yet another breast enhancement surgery done in Europe. Why Europe? According to the article I read this morning it's because U.S. docs are limited to 700cc-sized implants, while Europe caps size at 800cc. So she's willing to go back under the knife for that extra boost.It's truly sad. I was never a Heid fan, but I think she was a cute girl who has already done irreperable damage to her face and body. And, the sad thing -- it can't be undone.

RHNJ: I watched RHNJ on Monday. Can't wait for the rest of the season - it looks FABULOUS!P.S. -- did you see the Daily Beast post about Jill Zarin writing positive reviews for her own book under an assumed name?!

Liz Kelly: I did! We linked that Zarin report in the morning mix. Considering her behavior on this season's show (meaning she's been a total ego-driven B-word), it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that story is true.

I probably won't even be able to stay up late enough to watch SNL if I reach that age, let alone host the dang thing.: Haha. At age 42 I can't stay up that late now.

Liz Kelly: Ditto. Though I do, of late, wake up around 3:30 every night for about an hour or so.

"they all seem to be somewhat bewildered when they are (inevitably) found out": Then celebs really are just like us. Regular men are like that too.

Liz Kelly: Right - not so sure that's a celebrity thing so much as it is a trait of someone hell bent on cheating in a relationship.

Baby, Baby: I like "Baby Baby" until it gets to the rapping section, and then I just get embarrassed for the singer and change the radio station.(This was before I knew who it was. Now I guess I can spend the rapping interlude thinking about his ridiculous hair?)

Jen Chaney: Hang on, you get embarrassed for Bieber or for Ludacris?Or both?

Miley Cyrus: Ugh... I was so sad for this kid when they were exploiting her with the teenie boppr stuff. No way you can have any type of normal life.Now she's hitting the "I need to go out and prove I'm a woman" stage. Of course in Hollywood that means bare middrift and writhing around on the floor like you're doing it.Come on, for once do something original and write a song/do a video about being "normal." $10 says within 5 yrs she's busted for DUI, claims to be bisexual and enters treatment for coke additiction.

Liz Kelly: I dunno. I don't think Miley is quite as "lost" at this age as Britney and Lindsay were at the same point. No matter what bad decisions Miley's parents have made for her, she does seem to have a bit more of a handle on reality and some parental-set boundaries.That said, I think rather than DUIs and rehab, she may be more at risk of blowing her credibility by morphing into whatever the flavor of the moment happens to be (country, rock, Gaga-esque over the top costumes). Meaning we don't know what to expect from her, so we'll just give up on her. Unless, that is, she miraculously stumbles upon her niche and is smart enough to stick with it once found.

Jen Chaney: I think Miley Cyrus has some talent. But credibility? Not sure she's established that yet, and this latest development isn't going to help.She's in such a great position to establish credibility, too; people are interested in her, so she could take a little time to decide how she wants to express herself in a more mature way. Unless that video is what she decided on...

Hair of the Beeb: Or, you could have casually bumped into him to try to touch it, a la the infamous Seinfeld "They're real and they're fabulous" episode.

Jen Chaney: THAT'S what I should have done. Darn it!Oh well, I never even got close enough to give it a shot. The idea of tripping into him -- preferably with a hairbrush in hand -- makes an amusing mental image, though.

Random Brush With Celebrity: Back when I worked for a commercial real estate firm I was sent to the US Senior Open to hobnob in my boss's stead at a house party just off the golf course.Turns out the house was owned by Julie Bowen's parents. It was a pretty nice party, even if I did feel a wee bit out of place (I was the youngest person there by about 40 years).

Jen Chaney: Nice. Obviously a five-minute conversation hardly qualifies as knowing the woman. But she strikes me as pretty down-to-earth.

Liz Kelly: Speaking of meeting stars in person. Did anyone read this piece, by the Post's own Jonathan Capeheart. Apparently he had a less than ideal run-in with Gabourey Sidibe at the Correspondents Dinner and was perturbed enough to write about it.I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it...

Betty White making it through SNL: I saw an interview with her (maybe in Entertainment Weekly) where she said that, when starting out, she did five and a half hours of TV live, six days a week.I am betting she can do an hour and a half at 88.

Jen Chaney: I read that EW piece, too. I think she can do an hour and a half, too, but I also think they brought in reinforcements (Amy Poehler, et al) because Betty had expressed such reticence about doing the show for so many years.In any case, I look forward to seeing what she does.

Leno: So he supposedly bombed at the WHCD, his ratings for the Tonight Show in the key demo isn't great, and now he is joking that the Times Square bomber was a member of Team CoCo.You think Leno's time is past him and he's going a little loco?

Jen Chaney: I think Leno's time passed him a while ago.Here's the thing: if he had stepped down as planned and never done that 10 p.m. show, he could have moved onto other projects and maintained a sense of dignity.But now he just seems like an unfunny guy who can't move on. Knowing how to step down gracefully is an important skill, and Jay Leno clearly doesn't have it.

Liz Kelly: I'm with Jen. The guy is way beyond his expiration date at this point. But even more pitiful than Leno are the NBC execs who thought it would be a good idea to yank Conan to put this hacky has-been back on the air.And his WHCD routine was horrible. Just embarassing. I would diss him by saying it seemed as if it was written by an intern, but I"m convinced an intern would have done a better job. And his delivery -- I don't think the guy was even trying.

Noo Joisey Wives: Why do I get the feeling that this will be the first reality show where someone(i.e. Danielle) gets whacked ?

Liz Kelly: Well it was clear from the scenes from the coming season that we're to expect some kind of violent outburst and police involvement.I'm kind of freaked out, tho. Come May 24, Lost will be over and I will be left with... Real Housewives as my consolation prize. A little depressing.

rapping embarrassment: Embarrassed for Bieber - isn't he the one going "When I was 13 I had my first love"? That's as far as I've ever gotten into the rapping section. Should I be embarrassed for Ludacris, too?

Jen Chaney: I can't remember which lyrics kick off the rap portion, but Ludacris is definitely in there. You'd know the instant you heard his voice, so maybe you haven't ever reached that point in the song.

You wanna know who bugs me?: Kristen Stewart! She always looks so gawky and seems to have either horrible taste or a really really bad stylist.Can't someone show her how to stand up straight and pose for a picture? I don't get It. First the Oscars, now that fashion thing at the Met. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Jen Chaney: You're very welcome.She was the same way at Comic-Con two years ago, the first year "Twilight" was there. I think that's just how she is, which makes her a good fit for playing a somewhat uncertain teen like Bella, but doesn't work so well on the red carpet.

Lost Celebrities: As this series is winding down, I find myself wondering what's next for our Lost celebrities. We know that "Kate" isn't big on acting, but do you think any of the other main actors will find success out of that show? Or will they be so defined by their Lost characters (*cough* Hurley *cough*) that they'll be relegated to Lost conventions until they move on to the big island in the sky?

Jen Chaney: I think any issues Jorge Garcia has with finding other roles may be more an issue of the system; there aren't many parts written for larger, not stereotypically handsome dudes.But I think he's demonstrated some real range as Hurley so I hope he does take on other projects.As far as success, I am not sure anyone will become the next Clooney necessarily. But I think pretty much everyone on that show has the talent to continue getting work for as long as they like. It's such an ensemble, it's hard to point to one person as the break-out star.

Jealous Cats ?: Do you think the hard working journalists at ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY like that you abbreviate their tasteful work to EW as in "EWW that stinks..."?

Jen Chaney: I kinda doubt they care since their site is called ew.com, and people pretty commonly refer to the magazine as EW.I love Entertainment Weekly, and I like every reporter I've met who works there. Which I think is only two or three, but still, they're all lovely.

Lawrence Taylor: Did you guys see the news about Lawrence Taylor (former Giants linebacker and perhaps the best of all time) getting arrested for rape? What is up these days with all of these stars, athletes, etc having affairs, commiting really heinous crimes, etc. Is this behavior new or were these people just not caught back in the day??

Liz Kelly: I did see that -- our own Mark Maske has the latest.But, if true, what Taylor did goes way beyond anything we've seen lately -- ie the parade of cheating stars like Tiger and Jesse James. Not only is Taylor accused of rape, but the rape of a 15-year-old runaway, courtesy of a pimp. This looks pretty bad.And, again, not new behavior. Look at Gary Glitter, R Kelly, Michael Jackson -- guilty or innocent, all were accused of some pretty bad behavior in years past. I'm sure I could name more given a few minutes.

Troubleshooting: A piece of cheese just feel in my keyboard behind the ">" key -- should I worry about this ? I hardly ever use that key anyway...

Liz Kelly: Well, that depends on how you feel about rodents and/or insects doing your janitorial work.

RE: there aren't many parts written for larger, not stereotypically handsome dudes...: Thanks for waiting until now to tell me.Signed, Seth Rogen

Liz Kelly: Point taken. So you're saying Jorge Garcia just needs to hook up with Judd Apatow?

Jen Chaney: That's a great idea, actually.Thanks for writing in, "Seth Rogen"! I look forward to hearing more from you closer to the release of "Green Lantern."

Jorge Garcia: I find him quite attractive, actually. He's got a really cute face and that personality is awesome. Normally I go for Bradley Cooper.

Jen Chaney: Hey, Snarky McSnarkerson. All I'm saying is that there should be room in Hollywood for actors who don't all look like Bradley Cooper.Sheesh.

Is this behavior new or were these people just not caught back in the day??: Well, LT was never considered a saint. I can't say I'm surprised.

Liz Kelly: True. In fact, I just saw LT earlier this week in a promo for a new Bravo special about fame and drug use. He was talking about how bad off he was and how good things are for him now. I'm guessing Bravo may want to re-edit...

Sidibe: I think that's an awful way to treat people. Yeah, as a star, you must get it a lot, but for goodness sake, just say "thank you." It's really not that hard. How much time does it take to smile and be nice, or take ONE picture?

Liz Kelly: Assuming all of the above is true, then yeah, it kind of stinks if Sidibe couldn't be graciously dismissive. And a certain level of invasive fawning kind of comes with the territory when you reach a certain level of fame.But, still, I dunno. I'm not sure I would have written about it. I'm sure Jen, like me, has had brush offs from celebs in the past and it's kind of par for the course. Some are more gracious than others -- and I'm always of the (maybe too optimistic) mind that maybe the celeb was having a bad day, so unless he or she did something totally off-the-charts rude, then maybe it's best to let it go. We're all big kids with nice thick skin. Just brush it off and move along to the next potential encounter.

Jen Chaney: Well, I would write about it maybe if I thought it had become an epidemic. Like, I'd seen this up-and-comer be rude to people on several occasions, over a span of more than one evening.I spoke to Gabby at the People party on Friday night. She was pleasant enough, just not terribly chatty. I still don't think she's entirely comfortable with all of this fame business. She also had a publicist or manager or someone right by her side; I think she had Sidibe's agenda because when I asked Sidibe what her plans were for the weekend, she said she hadn't looked at the whole itinerary yet.Also, the celebs at the Correspondents' Dinner definitely get pulled every which way every five seconds. Some people just handle it better than others. Matthew Morrison from "Glee" seemed fine with people taking pictures of him and was trying to accommodate as many as he could. But at a certain point, I think people want to sit down and eat. I mean, I would if I were them.

Jorge Part Deux: I wasn't being snarky. I meant it. I really do find Jorge Garcia attractive. What I meant with the BC is that he is normally what we get and he is attractive. I haven't redeemed myself at all, have I?

Liz Kelly: If it's any consolation, I can understand. I think Zach Galifianakis is a cutie. And I realize there aren't a lot of other women on this bus with me. He's got something -- a twinkle in the eye, a great grin and he's hilarious. What's not to like?

Jen Chaney: No, you have. Completely redeemed. I misunderstood the tone in your previous comment -- you know, much the way Liz misunderstands Q&As with Evangeline Lilly. (Rim shot!)I love Jorge Garcia and Bradley Cooper and Zach Galifianakis. And I wish them all well.

Jen Chaney: Well, this has been most excellent, as always. Do join us next week for another round of perplexed comments re: Heidi Montag and me misunderstanding people's references to Jorge Garcia and Bradley Cooper. See you next Thursday!

© 2010 The Washington Post Company