The 'Lost' Hour: Season 6, 'Across the Sea'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
Washington Post "Lost" bloggers
Wednesday, May 12, 2010; 2:00 PM

Join "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney each Wednesday at 2 p.m. ET to talk about "Lost's" sixth and final season.

Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006. When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, they write the Celebritology blog. Jen Chaney also acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com. For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

Liz Kelly: Welcome back. A lot -- and I mean A LOT -- to discuss re: last night's show. Did you love it? Hate it? Did you come away from the hour with a deeper understanding of the show's mythology -- or "religion" -- or were we left even more in the dark?

But -- before we start, two important matters of business:

1. Make sure to vote for your favorite Losties in our big honking

"Lost" Superlatives poll

2. If you're in the D.C. metro area, mark your calendars for next Thursday's "Lost" Farewell Fest Happy Hour. Hosted by Jen and I. We can't wait to see you there. Details on

Facebook

or this

handy dandy printable PDF

. If we're lucky, Producer Paul will attend, too.

Jen Chaney: Liz pretty much said it all here. So let's get started.

Dallas, TX: It seems to me that "other mom" was Smokey before MIB -- otherwise, how could she have killed that entire village (if, as I assume, she did)?

I wonder if maybe then MIB was "mom's" favorite because she was looking for a smokey-replacement, not a protector. Maybe that's why she was so upset when MIB left? Maybe everything she told Jacob was B.S.? Haven't really fleshed this out yet (help!) but she did seem to make the decision to kill real mom upon seeing MIB, not Jacob. Like he was the one she really needed ...?

washingtonpost.com: I was wondering if Ghost Mom was Smokey?

Jen Chaney: I think we can assume that Smokey pre-exited MIB the person. And either scenario sounds plausible to me -- he could have manifested himself as Claudia, or assumed the spirit of Allison Janney, or maybe even both.

I do think Janney-mom was genuinely seeking a protector, though. It seemed like her interest in keeping the boys away from the glowing water was genuine.

Liz Kelly: My take on Smokey was that it always existed but was somehow contained in that cave until MIB's body floated in. Which somehow released it.

But I do like the idea of Janney being Smokey prior to MIB. I was scratching my head, too, at how she was able to kill that entire village of hearty-looking Saxon types.

Bronx, NY: The scene where Mother gave Jacob the wine had a few parallels to the Catholic Eucharist, any idea what prayer Mother said over the glass before handing it to Jacob?

Liz Kelly: Very intentional parallel, especially with Mother Janney blatantly mimicking the mass with "Take this cup and drink." As for the prayer -- I couldn't make it out. She was queen of mumblecore at that moment.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I'll have to go back and listen to what she says again.

Old Town Alexandria, VA: Do you think the smoke monster is completely separate entity from the MIB? Perhaps, Jacob throwing him in the lighted creek released it and it subsequently took the form of his deceased brother?

Jen Chaney: I think that's exactly what happened. Jacob's brother wasn't MIB/Smokey until the creek incident.

Liz Kelly: Ayup.

Glowing Spring, Lost Island: ARRRRGGGHHHHH! Answers schmanswers!!! All I can say is those Lindecuse guys still got a lot of splainin' to do!

Liz Kelly: Right. As one commenter put it. We found out some answers, like why Jacob and MIB are sworn enemies (because of their "mother"). But, umm, that only raises the question: Who is mom really?

Call me crazy: But I kind of liked last night's episode. Sort of, like I "like" some art, without really understanding it - but the colors are pretty. One thing I found very interesting was that the "kid" Jacob perfectly emulated the walk, stance, and physical behaviors of the "adult" Jacob.

Jen Chaney: I won't call you crazy because I liked it, too.

Liz Kelly: I'm not going to call anybody crazy, but it wasn't my favorite episode. I think, as Jen said in the analysis, it was a necessary bold risk. The writers needed to do something drastic to try to make the island's more supernatural properties fathomable. I'm just not convinced they succeeded.

And, to quote another commenter (I only do it because the comments are so good), the writers seemed more willing to give little answers -- like who Adam and Eve really were -- while still leaving the island's larger mysteries untouched.

Seriously -- we found out where MIB and Jacob came from, but where did the Allison Janney character come from? It just kind of threw the mystery back one more generation into the past.

End-game: Is it just me or do you see the end-game of Jack punching out Locke and sending him back down the hole?

Jen Chaney: I see there being some sort of final moment between Jack and Locke. I do hope that John doesn't end up at the bottom of a hole, though.

Interesting beltway, VA: The way foster mom killed the people that BIB (boy in black) was going to leave the island with was similar to the purge that Ben initiated on the Dharma folks on orders from Jacob. Interesting coincidence or just another cycle that keeps on going?

Jen Chaney: I thought about that, too. It's either another example of history repeating itself, or further evidence that Smokey inhabited both Foster Mom and Ben and made them kill off masses of people.

Lansing, MI: So was the knife MIB used to kill his (non-)mother the same knife Dogan gave Sayid and the MIB gave Richard?

washingtonpost.com: And did he kill her before she said anything?

Liz Kelly: Well, actually, I think he did. He came up behind her as she was surveying the damage to her loom.

Good point, Paul.

Washington, DC: So, we never learned MIB's name -- but, at the end, when Jacob calls him "Brother," it made me immediately think of Desmond. What if all of his offhand "Brothas" actually signifies something? Maybe he is Jacob? Or am I stretching things?

Liz Kelly: Well, anything is possible and I think we can all agree that Desmond still has some huge part to play in bringing closure to our story.

That said, I think it's probably a bit of a stretch. Jacob calls MIB his brother because they are, in fact, brothers. Desmond picked up his "brotha" habit during his brief stint at a Scottish monastery. So both are equally natuaral uses...

Glad it's ending: I've been there for every episode since the beginning and although I was very much looking forward to this last season, I'm feeling more than a little robbed. Promises of questions will be answered, while true, didn't tell me that each episode continues the 'Lost' tradition of answering one question while raising at least two more.

I for one will be happy when it's over, but I don't think I'll be satisfied as I had hoped.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

Jen Chaney: I am sure you're not alone. I've definitely heard from people who are a little frustrated with this season, either because of the question-raising issue you mention or the fact that it hasn't been as tonally consistent as they would have liked.

I don't think season six will go down as the best "Lost" season ever, but I have been happy with enough of the episodes and, after last night, am really, really eager to see what happens next.

BTW -- SPOILER TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE SENSITIVE ABOUT THAT SORT OF THING -- I don't know how many of you saw Evangeline Lilly on Letterman the other night. But he asked her something about the finale and she said something about only knowing what happens to her character and not having read the script -- something to that effect. I could be extrapolating too much from the comment, but it made me think Kate might bite it in the next episode.

Liz Kelly: From your lips to LindeCuse's ears.

San Jose, Costa Rica: All along we 've been told that a candidate must replace Jacob. After last night episode I am not sure about it. Rather than opposites I see the MIB-Jacob as a Ying Yang issue. No need to replace Jacob as he is still around otherwise MIB will be already on the loose. If both are murderous manipulative creatures why take sides? Why replace them? The real objective should be to destroy the island and both creatures with it to free themselves of their influence.

Liz Kelly: And that may be just where we're going... the island is destroyed (or sinks to the bottom of the ocean) and our Losties continue living in a now-safe Sideways World.

Milwaukee, WI: Completely disappointed with the donkey wheel "answer" from last night. MIB is "special," which means he can put a wheel into a wall and when it turns, the combination of light and water allows him to leave the island. Um, ok. And since he died, who actually finished that wheel? Allison Janney killed off everyone and filled up the well.

Liz Kelly: Thanks for bringing that up because Jen and I meant to in our analysis and never got to it. If Janney knocked MIB out and filled in the well shaft with dirt before he was able to complete his wheel, then how was it subsequently completed?

And MIB says that he's figured out that he can leave the island by creating this wheel mechanism. But that doesn't really explain anything. It like me saying to a two-year-old that I can make my hair stand up if I stick my finger in a light socket, but not explaining why.

One thing about pre-smokey MIB: He saw ghosts as a wee lad while Jacob, his twin, did not and/or never has.

Liz Kelly: Right. And who else sees ghosts? Hurley.

Jen Chaney: Hurley also wasn't the only one to have visions on the island, though. Shannon, Locke and Kate (remember the horse?) all did, too.

Liz Kelly: True... but did they see dead people? I'm trying to remember. Shannon saw Walt, who wasn't dead. Kate saw that horse -- who I suppose could have been dead. Locke saw Christian Shephard who was indeed dead, but we also now know was MIB.

I'm thinking Hurley and MIB have more in common with each other's visions than with the rest of these.

egocentric fans annoy me (but I love you guys!): I can't seem to wean myself from reading the downer comments at DarkUFO each Tuesday night. What I get, mostly, is the sense that each American consumer thinks the world revolves around him or her.

It is understandable to believe the writers owe us something, given the investment we've all put into their show. But, hello, this is a work of commercial art. You can like it or hate it, but you don't have some inalienable right to compel it to end the way you expected.

As tm34 put it, "Everyone just take a chill pill and enjoy the story for what it is - warts and all. It was a fine ride and a great diversion from our everyday life."

Liz Kelly: And in general I agree with you, and tm34. We need to trust the writers to some extent and sit back and enjoy the ride.

That said, I don't see holding one's chosen entertainment -- even if it is a commercial form of art -- to high standards as being wrong. Is it selfish? Yes. But mass consumer entertainment is by definition designed for our gratification. So, we expected to be gratified.

Ideally, there is a way for both the creators of the commercial art and the consumers to be satisfied. And, I think, for the most part "Lost" has accomplished that.

Jen Chaney: Agreed.

And just to briefly expand, I think fans sometimes feel they have "a right to compel" because the show speaks to them very, very personally. And because of that, they start to feel a sense of ownership over it.

I suspect the makers of "Lost" appreciate that, even if it leads to some negative message board posts or whatever. A person doesn't get really upset over a TV show unless the show has reached them on at least a semi-profound level.

Aimee, Wauwatosa: I was hoping and expecting to get some answers to the mythological aspects to the show. Who built the statue? Who put all the hieroglyphics symbols everywhere on the island? Who built the temple? I feel it's sort of cheating in a way to put in cool symbology like that but not ever explain why it's there and who put it there.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. As I said above. We found out where Jacob and MIB came from... but what of Janney's character, who predates them on the island? And, again, the statue and temple? I can't believe they'll actually let this series close without explaining that. It would be pure madness.

Wouldn't it?

Jen Chaney: I'll play devil's advocate here: I don't think it would be madness.

I don't feel like I have to know who wrote all those heiroglyphics. It's not crucial to me feeling satisfied about the show's ending. It's okay to leave some things to interpretation here, so I think we should expect that.

Plus, let's be honest: if ABC and Disney genuinely want to continue making money off of "Lost," in the form of graphic novels, video games, movies or whatever, it behooves them to leave elements of the story untold so they'll have strands to explore later.

Although I'm not sure anyone wants to see "The 'Lost' Temple in 3D" as a major motion picture.

Liz Kelly: So you would really be satisfied if the show ended without explaining who constructed a seven-story statue on the beach or how Allison Janney's character came to be there and was introduced to the island's mysteries?

I'm thinking those would make for some huge gaping holes in my closure.

Jen Chaney: Um ... yes. And I suspect the series will close without us knowing those things. I could be wrong, but I can't see how they can tell the Janney backstory anymore than they already have at this stage in the game.

Who finished building the Well and the donkey wheel?: So in this episode, crazy mommy Janney lays waste to a work-in-progress well and frozen donkey wheel chamber.

When the Losties come upon it at some period in time later, the well is 100% in tact and the frozen donkey wheel is complete and working.

Who came back, excavated it, and put it together?

washingtonpost.com: Richard? Whidmore? Vincent? Betty White?

Liz Kelly: Well, and add the Tawaret statue and the temple to the "who built" list. Do they predate the Mother and we just didn't see those structures last night?

Adam and Eve: Are they going to just gloss over the fact that Jack originally said the corpses were only 50 years old when they found them in Season 1? Does the island have extra preserving abilities as well? Or is guessing corpse age just not Jack's forte? Your average spinal surgeon may not see that many centuries old corpses in medical school.

Liz Kelly: Did he say that? I don't remember.

Besides, the guy's a spinal surgeon, not a forensic archeologist.

Arlington, VA: LindeCuse has said that they knew the ending of the show since Season 1. Since the beginning of this season, I have come to think they are lying. I honestly think they didn't have a clue and just inserted things for fun and interest. Once the show really took off, they had trouble and now they are really stretching to try and link back to those earlier seasons. I don't think it's a deliberate attempt to laugh at the viewers or screw us over, just that they got themselves in a jam and are clumsily trying to get out of it. What do you think?

Jen Chaney: I actually think that Damon Lindelof and J.J. Abrams -- who created the series at the behest of ABC exec Lloyd Braun -- had a final moment in mind. I don't know that it was fully fleshed out as a complete scene, but they had some sense of a final moment and plan to stay true to that. Maybe I'm naive, but I actually do believe that.

But I think you're right that as far as broader narrative is concerned, they definitely added elements and did things for fun as they went along, some of which can easily be explained and some of which may have gotten them into some minor jams. Which is why some things may never be explained fully.

Liz Kelly: Actually, Damon and Carlton talked about this with NY Mag in a new Q&A and kind of flip-flopped on the whole "we knew how it would end from the get-go" thing:

I can't imagine that there are many authors that are able to, basically, conceive something entirely beforehand. We feel strongly that the show would be worse if we were just marching forward. The creative process is not like a situation where you get struck by a single lightning bolt. You have ongoing discoveries and there's ongoing creative revelations. Yes, it's really helpful to be marching toward a specific destination, but, along the way, you must allow yourself room for your ideas to blossom, take root, and grow.

And:

The other thing is, we never had the hubris or the audacity to try and plot out too far in advance, because we didn't even know if the viewers were going to want another season of Lost.

So although they may have had an amorphous idea, I'm not sure they knew how the final scene or season would play out. And I agree with the commenter -- they have done some creative -- and sometimes not so elegant -- retrofitting in an attempt to make everything seem as if it all hangs together seamlessly.

Liz Kelly: Sorry, here's the link to that NY Mag interview.

Babies: You guys mentioned in the analysis that the women on the island not being able to have children without dying is because of Claudia, and all that changed when Claire arrived, but remember that only women who conceive on island die. Those who conceive off-island (like Claudia and Claire) are fine. That's why Sun had to leave. Although they never explain why that worked.

washingtonpost.com: Since Dharma-ites could conceive/deliver on island (a la Ethan), maybe only followers of Jacob can't?

Jen Chaney: Good point. I'm still trying to work through all that in my mind.

This, on the other hand, is one subject I desperately want clarity on before the show ends. What's the deal with all the baby/fertility/stealing of kids stuff? We mentioned this on our

list of pressing questions to answer before "Lost" ends

, and I think this one may have risen to top of my list.

Black & White: Could they have pushed the good/bad thing anymore? The two babies happen to be swaddled in different color blankets after birth, and that's like the only colors they can wear for the rest of their lives? She basically polarized them from birth!

Jen Chaney: On the plus side, when they were infants, she never had trouble telling them apart!

Metro Center, DC: Before last night's episode, I saw a few places on the web list Allison Janney's character as Earth Mother. I don't know how or where to confirm if that's true, or just netizens making stuff up. If it is true, it might answer more questions about how she got on the island, why she was the protector of the world's most potent energy source, etc.

Or at the least, it might make those kinds of questions moot.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I saw some sites referring to her as Mother Earth, but that may have been more of a nickname that the writers gave to her. Unclear.

But certainly her insistence on protecting the island's resources from man, who are bound to corrupt the place, has a Mother Earth vibe about it. As does that weird hair net she was wearing.

Liz Kelly: Yeah. Not sure what that hair net accomplished. Her hair still looked like she'd slept on a pillow of upturned nails.

seeing ghosts: Child Ben also saw his dead mother, who died (although was not murdered) immediately after giving birth to him. At around the same age as Boy in Black, too.

Liz Kelly: That is an incredible point.

I wish you hadn't brought it up, though. It's just going to give Jen more fodder for her "I was right about Ben being inherently good" campaign.

Jen Chaney: That is a good point. And Ben's mom led him to the outskirts of Otherton, which is how he met Richard. So she did sort of the same thing that Claudia did for lil' MIB -- introduced him to a wider world on the island.

Since the theme this week is Bible, it might be worth noting that Ben is the son of Jacob, according to the Bible story, as we've noted in the past.

suburban housewife: Momma/Gaia/She-Wolf/Weaver Lady tells the boys, "I've fixed it so you can never hurt each other." Well, in my book, beating your teenage brother's face to a bloody pulp counts as hurting him. Throwing him into a supernatural stream to experience a fate worse than death also falls in the category of hurting him. Was she lying? Mistaken in her ability to impose such a rule? Or is Jacob more powerful than she and thus able to make his own rules?

Liz Kelly: I had the same reaction -- that the two seemed quite capable of hurting each other after all.

I think the Mother may have believed she'd made it impossible for them to hurt each other. But I think whatever the force in that cave is is stronger than her and it benefited by MIB's being thrown in there. So, somehow, it trumped her mojo.

Carlton and Cuse: They must have had some notion of the Jacob/Smokey arc all along. I mean, when was Bad Twin released? The meaning of the title wasn't clear until last night.

Jen Chaney: Bad Twin came out in 2006. Again, as Liz said earlier, I do think they had some overarching concepts in place pretty early on. And the notion of bad twins, or dual narratives, may have been on their minds from the beginning. But more specifics -- and some tangents -- came later.

Answers: I don't need specific answers about who built the statue or why someone brought a polar bear to the island, although I wouldn't object to those. What I need is answers to the bigger questions. What's with the light and why is it such a struggle? Why did the island apparently draw people to itself? What makes our characters candidates? What's up with all the fertility stuff and off-spring? Why are Aaron and Walt significant? What was driving the actions of Widmore and Eloise Hawking and Ben? Where can I see Boone naked?

washingtonpost.com: Right. If this is allllllll been about protecting the Creek o' Life, it's hard to be fully engaged when we don't know what happens when it's exploited, corrupted, whatever.

Liz Kelly: Right. And I might be more willing to let the statue and heiroglyphs go if I felt the more central questions were being answered. At this point they just aren't, so my feeble mind is grasping at things like the statue thinking that if we knew that perhaps it would lead to those bigger answers.

Capital Hill, DC: Have to say I was disappointed with last night's episode and starting to get peeved at the writers. Last night we had another episode that raised more questions than answers (where did Janney's character come from? Why does she want to protect the island? etc., etc.) and did nothing to resolve the major mysteries.

I think we're in for Soprano's style level of disappointment when the finale is over. Your thoughts?

washingtonpost.com: Does Locke listen to Journey?

Jen Chaney: I think the finale will be open-ended. And I think people should prepare for that. It probably will disappoint some.

Now, if may open a "Sopranos" can of worms, I actually was not disappointed by that finale. I watched that last scene over and over several times, after I recovered from the shock, because I wanted to make sense of it. I'm still not sure I know what David Chase's intended meaning was.

But hey, it's three years later and we're still talking about it. That final episode has become an iconic moment in television, one that's been criticized, parodied, debated -- to me, that's a successful finale. If "Lost" ends and we no longer have anything to debate, I'd say LindeCuse didn't do their job properly.

Liz Kelly: Dang it. I have to agree with Jen.

The very best part about this show has been its ability to keep us engaged by keeping us guessing. I mean, how many words have Jen and I written at this point trying to make sense of this show? Probably somewhere close to a million and that's no exaggeration.

I'm not sure we'd respect it anymore if it, umm, just kind of gave up all its mysteries.

Get a load of me, flip-flopping all over the place.

There are two Christians!: I sent it in several times last week, but it didn't get picked. I maintain that the real ghost Christian has also been seen, as well as MIB/Christian. For starters, Christian referred to Jack as "my son" in an extra put out by ABC, which MIB wouldn't do. Second, Christian is dressed differently on many occasions, most notably when he appeared to Michael on the boat before it blew. When he's in a suit (as he was in the coffin) he's MIB, but when he's more casual he's actually Christian's ghost.

Jen Chaney: So MIB Christian is somewhat more formal (minus the shoes) and Christian the Ghost is all Casual Friday?

Could be. Good point about "the song" reference. He also called Jack his son when he sent Locke to use the donkey wheel. Right before Locke turns it, Christian says, "Say hello to my son."

So was he not MIB in that moment either?

Fertility on the island...: I think you two talked about some fertility theories in the dueling analysis this morning, but this morning is like a thousand years ago for me right now, and I don't recall the specifics. (Navigating back there requires too muck clicking, dearies)

You seemed to think that something about the fertility question was resolved last night, and I don't think that's the case at all. People could always have babies on the island so long as they were already pregnant when they got there, so there wasn't anything particularly groundbreaking about Jacob and BIB's birth. Besides, old three-toe (Tawaret statue) has probably been around a lot longer than Jacob & BIB (and maybe even mother CJ), and isn't her whole deal about birth and lady parts? Thinking that the fertility issues started with BIB's death/situation seems presumptuous to me. Maybe the inability to produce offspring helped Mama CJ realize she needed to do some quick work with the rock. We didn't see much of the rest of the shipwrecked folks, but I don't think I saw any kids or pregnant women in their ranks...

washingtonpost.com: Allow me to help: Celebritology's 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'Across the Sea'

Jen Chaney: Very good points. You're right to say that this issue didn't start with Claudia; I probably went too far with that angle in the analysis.

It may be that the properties of the island, as others have suggested and as we've talked about before, are what make conceiving on the island such a dangerous prospect.

Mother Earth: Actually, this is what Evangeline Lily said she thought Allison Janney was cast as in her now-notorious Vulture interview... I was afraid that I had stumbled on a spoiler when I read that last week...

Liz Kelly: See, Evangeline Lilly is to blame. Why am I not surprised?

Jen Chaney: Lilly also may not have known what she was talking about. That may have been her take on who Janney was supposed to be.

Mother's Answers: I kind of got the sense that Mother was making up stuff to keep BIB and Jacob on the island. I got the sense that she was just making it up as she went along. (cough, Lindecruse, cough).

- Telling BIB that there was nothing beyond the island in order to keep him from thinking about leaving.

- Telling BIB that he found the game because she left it for him keeps him thinking she knows all.

- Giving the wine to Jacob to pass the protector torch gives gravitas to position and makes Jacob think he's doing something really important.

Liz Kelly: I'm with you. I don't think that just because the mother stated something with an air of authority that it makes it so.

Also, she kind of came off as untrustworthy from the get-go, what with braining a woman who just went through labor thing.

Conceiving on Island: Oh! Does conceiving on the island steal life from the glowy-cave and so mom has to give up hers to make it balance?

I will be satisfied with my made up answer if no one else comes up with one.

Jen Chaney: That's possible! Makes sense to me.

Then again, I thought my ridiculous fertility theory made sense last night at 11:30. So what do I know?

Birthin' them babies: Is it me, or was their some stuff on the second baby's head? I'm wondering if he was born under the caul, meaning he was covered with part of the amnniotic sac. That's usually considered to make a person special and protect them from drowning (as MiB didn't drown when Jack pushed him into the water at the sub). David Copperfield was born with the caul, as an example of another character.

Liz Kelly: Well, hmm. I thought the stuff on the second baby's head was meant to be dark hair. So just in case we missed the fact that the child was wrapped in a black swaddling cloth we would know he was the dark to his brother's light. Yin to his yang. Pepper to his salt. Etc.

Jen Chaney: Well, now I'll have to go look at the kid's head again. That's interesting. Posting more on this from our caul-expert reader in one sec...

Caul, part 2: I just sent a comment about the second boy being possibly born with a caul. Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry. Read the full thing for other possible parallels with MiB: In Croatian and Slovenian lore, a person born with a caul was destined to become either a Kudlak or a Kresnik. In other words, a person so destined to become a Kudlak would already begin a career of evil while still alive - his soul would leave his body at night in animal form and fly through the air to attack people or to magically do other harm to the community he lived in. When he died, he became an undead vampire who was then an even greater threat to the community. But if a person born with a caul became a Kresnik, he became a champion of the community. While he lived, his soul left his body in animal form at night to fight against both living and undead Kudlaks.

Jen Chaney: And here's the caul info, which is pretty interesting...

Kalamazoo, MI: I don't care about having answers. I care about good story telling. This season has had terrible storying telling. Deus Ex Machina every episode. It's like there was no end game. I am fine with mysteries. I would rather have mysteries never explained than random stories that aren't about characters I've grown to love. Stop answering questions and develop those characters please!

Jen Chaney: I agree with you as far as the Dogen/Lennon/temple digressions go. Until I understand otherwise, I found those elements early in the season completely unnecessary.

But I didn't feel that way about last night's episode, although, like you, I am anxious to get back to our core characters.

So, where'd all the Egyptian stuff come from?: This episode takes place in early AD (apparently the script or something puts it at 23 AD), during the reign of the Roman empire, as evidenced by the Latin speaking.

The Egyptian empire came and went long before that.

So all these key mythology structures: the lighthouse, temple, smoke monster chamber, etc, were built long before Jacob or the MIB ever got there.

This makes me think that they are just another iteration of a cycle that's been going on even longer. Additionally, it means there had to of been another smoke monster previously, due to the hieroglyphics of Anubis w/smokey.

I was kind of disillusioned to see that jacob/mib weren't really the start of it all, but there were more mysteries before them that we will never know.

Liz Kelly: Somewhere I read a comment -- not sure if it was on the blog or Twitter -- about Jacob and MIB and the fact that last night's episode didn't reveal them to be powerful island beings. Quite the opposite: It showed us that they -- just like the Losties -- were average guys (babies, to be specific) who washed up on the island and are every bit as manipulated and confused as everyone else. They've just had a few more centuries worth of time to gather information and be affected by the island's supernatural properties.

Pete, Wauwatosa: So how can MIB not leave the island, but Jacob can leave the island and touch people all over the world?

Liz Kelly: Yup, apparently. But what if MIB could actually leave the island all along -- ala Dorothy Gale clicking her heels together. He just mistakenly believed Mother who said he couldn't.

Jen Chaney: Hey, that's what I said three weeks ago! I still like that idea, BTW.

To your question, Pete, one thing I would like to know is when Jacob realized he could leave the island and why he felt it was necessary. Because he needed the candidates? Why not just wait for them to come to him, as his foster mom did?

Croton-on-Hudson, NY: Re your last comments (Milwaukee WI), I think we have to assume that Pierre Chang and his Dharmalytes finished the work on the wheel. Further to the whole discussion in today's column, Season Six has been great but for the slight problem of having 3.5 hours left to address about 18 hours worth of questions. If LindeCuse want to do something in the realm of an off-the-wall surprise (Tony S./black screen; Suzanne Pleshette under the blanket), all they need to do is end Season Six with a promo for Season Seven.

Jen Chaney: Oh, I like the way you think.

That would be an amazing shocker -- "Just kidding. See you next January!"

Yeah, I'm thinking that's not going to happen.

heh, heh: Funny how Liz's commentary today so closely echoes Evangeline Lily's complaints in her interview (which, if I recall correctly, Liz did not like). They both prefer the character-based story arc to the sci-fi, supernatural mythology arc. Lilly was dissatisfied with the ending for the same reason Liz seems set up to be.

Liz Kelly: Hey. Nut unh.

I'm all for the mythology as long as it makes sense and fits in with our larger Lostie story. I just think last night's episode went pretty far afield from that story.

Liz Kelly: Okay, that's it for today. I move that from now on, we refer to Jen as Kudlak while I myself would like to be addressed as Kresnik.

We'll be back next week to discuss the tantalizingly titled "What They Died For."

In the meantime, vote for the

"Lost" Superlatives

and pass along the link to your "Lost"-loving friends.

Jen Chaney: And don't forget the aforementioned happy hour next Thursday, or, for that matter, the Previously on Lost show Monday night in Arlington. Our entire agendas for the next week shall be dominated by "Lost."

Thanks for the questions. See you here next week.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity