washingtonpost.com
Home Front:

Jura Koncius,Lynni Megginson
Thursday, May 27, 2010; 11:00 AM

Washington Post Local Living section writer Jura Koncius will be online Thursday, May 27, at 11 a.m. ET to help you in your quest to achieve domestic bliss.<br><br>Today: Lynni Megginson is Jura's guest. A Gaithersburg designer and owner of <a href='http://virtualgolfgirl.com/home.html">Virtual Golf Girl</a>, she has worked more than 20 years in the business. Lately her focus has been on hi-def golf rooms, where she can turn a basement, garage or any other space into a sort of luxury 19th hole. She can answer questions about creating fun rooms, decorating dilemmas and entertaining this Memorial Day.<br><br>

Jura Koncius: It's a keeper. Will announce the winner at the end of the chat. Let's go!

Man Cave: Lynni, what is the best man cave you have seen?

Lynni Megginson: Oh my gosh, the Man Cave we did for the DC Design House was by far one of my favorites! It was cool to revive an old carriage house with the exposed brick walls and turn it into something really cool with a hip vibe. Hopefully you had a chance to see it!

Party Setup: Lynni, do you have any suggestions for setting things up for a party?

Lynni Megginson: Hosting parties is one of my FAVORITE things to do, and I think it's important to make sure you've got a good flow between the food and beverages in different "stations". For example, putting pretty desserts in the dining room with some champagne seperated from tubs of beer and chips with salsa that may be set up in the kitchen. Always have a great flow so your guests can keep moving between different areas and keep the party exciting for your guests.

Rocci Fisch: Hot outdoor products for summer

Jura Koncius: I really like this sofa from Design Within Reach and also the Suzani plates in my article today on Summer Living. What do you guys think. Don't you like the redesigned version of the Weber kettle too? The old one isn't gone though don't worry...

Omaha, NE: This is a follow-up to a question from last week's chat, about whether there's such a thing as a stylish scratching post. There's a Web site, moderncat.net, that reviews cat-related items for the home. They cover stuff from kitschy hand-crafts on etsy to scratching posts made by high-end furniture designers. I tend to treat the site like Modern Architecture magazine: no way I'm going to spend $200 on a cat bed, but it's still interesting to see what $200 cat beds look like. (One included, I'm not kidding, a LIVE goldfish.) Clearly, not a site for everyone who reads this chat, but if you ARE a cat person and a fan of capital D - Design, it's kind of neat.

Jura Koncius: This is way cool!!! Thanks so much for alerting us to this. I'm going to spend some time on this site later!

New Fabric--what to do!: Hi Jura, I just bought about 2 yards of this beautiful block printed fabric--it's white with a blue and green leaf motif repeated every 6 inches or so. So, mostly white with green and blue touches. It's too thin to use as a pillow fabric (almost sheer), so I'm wondering how I can incorporate it into my decor? Framing pieces of it? Something else really cool I haven't thought of yet? Crafty suggestions would be excellent. thanks!

Jura Koncius: I love your idea of framing it - a grouping of it in six or nine frames would make a great statement. Could you use it as a border on a small curtain, tableskirt or tablecloth? I know you said it was sheer, but what about using it as a layer over another fabric to make a pillows. Other ideas out there?

House Calls: That was an awful choice today. Why chose a project with so many restrictions. They really wanted to keep that flooring? It didn't look like a newly renovated kitchen, they should start from scratch, and scrap that. It has no flow, nothing to tie it together. All I can say is wow. Kudos to the decorator for trying.House Calls

Jura Koncius: Hmmm. What do the rest of you think?

Party House: We've always kind of would up as the neighborhood party house, and the best suggestion I have is to relax. Put away the really fragile stuff, and assume there will be minor damage to something. Have fun and don't worry.

Jura Koncius: We call the owner Party Dude. He is always having a great time. Every neighborhood should have a party house. Thanks for sharing.

Man Cave Flooring: What is the best flooring to use in the basement for a man cave? Sometimes the cement is damp - does that cause mold under the carpet?

Lynni Megginson: I always use a jute pad under any carpeting in the basement because it's natural and can act as an absorbent instead of a barrier. When water pools under foam padding between carpeting that is when you can have mildew begin to build up. I have found that nylon carpeting that has a texture to it works really well in basements because it stands up to a lot of wear and tear and lasts forever. Setting up a dehumidifier during wet weather can help with the "musty" smell basements sometimes emit too. In a pinch I keep on hand some of those absorbent crystals for moisture to offset dampness as well.

Paint colors for basement: What are some good paint colors for basements? I need something for a basement that does not get any light. I don't want white or off-white because the shadows are too pronounced. I don't want too strong of a color because it's just too much.

Jura Koncius: I think you probably want a pale color, maybe yellow or pale spring green. Benjamin Moore's Pale Moon would be nice. Martha Stewart for Home Depot Endive or Artichoke Heart. Valspar Summer Morning.

Porch Privacy: I have a screened-in porch that I want to add more privacy to. Blinds or some type of curtain would work. But, where could I buy should a thing and yes cost would be a factor since it is outdoors. I'm willing to spend up to $200 to achieve some privacy.

Lynni Megginson: I would look into the woven wood blinds that are available on the market now. They will allow light to filter through while giving you privacy as well. They are easily cleaned if they get dirty, and give you a great natural look that will be fabulous in a porch or outdoor setting! We love the ones from Graber and Dalphis...good values and lots of fabulous textures and colors! LM

Superfluous Print Edtion: The print edition of the Home section is becoming superfluous. The rehash of this discussion has become a regular print feature. Now House Calls can only be seen online. Soon the Post will become a one page printed sheet telling us what is available online!

Jura Koncius: We are sorry you are unhappy. House Calls is only online this week due to some last minute space constraints. We plan to publish it in the print edition the majority of the time and just sometimes it doesn't fit. We actually think it looks terrific online. As for reprinting some of the very best helpful, informative and fun questions that were answered on the webchat - we think that benefits everyone. We think our guests give out some terrific information on the chats that is worth sharing with our print readers, as well as those who don't read the chat transcripts or participate live. So That's why sometimes my editors pick out several questions from the chat and run them the following week.

paint help for small bathroom?: Submitting early because I'm not able to stay for the whole chat. I have a small half bath on the main floor of my townhouse. It has no natural light. I'd like to paint it a fun color, and maybe something a little different from the rest of the house, where I have greens, blues & browns/tans (which is what I have on the main floor--a really light tan color). Any recommendations?

Lynni Megginson: If you've got greens, blues and tans why not select a fun, kicky color from the orange family? I adore all of the deep, vibrant pumpkin colors that are out there now, and if you pair it with some fun brown and white zebra patterned towels and some fun accessories it will be a great little jewel box of a surprise that will also blend with your decor. LM

paint color: Plese help! We painted the master bedroom BM Palladian Blue. It's lovely and cool when the light shines in the windows during the day, but at night under artificial light with the curtains closed, it looks too saturated , tropical and aqua--not what we had in mind. Can you suggest a different pale blue/green paint colro that won't have that effect--not too blue, not too minty? Many thank yous!

Jura Koncius: You might like Prescott Green or Hollingsworth Green, both Benjamin Moore Historic Colors.

House Calls : What I think is that people should not be so mean. Maybe you don't like it; but there is no reason to be super critical. That said, I would have liked to have seen seating that looked more comfortable. Also, the after picture had the new stuff numbered; but I could not find the narrative that told me about the items.

Jura Koncius: My editor is checking on this.

A good compromise?: Hi Lynni. My partner and I have recently moved in together, and we are redecorating our living room. He really want to do the room in pinks and yellows. I agree with bright colors, but just because we are gay with each other I don't feel the need to go with pinks like he does. What would you suggest as a good compromise? I'm thinking maybe some sky or baby blues and some tasteful ecru/yellows? Thanks.

Lynni Megginson: What about a compromise and the use of a peachy pink with the celery greens and soft yellows? I have used this "inside of a seashell" pink as my signature color for years and I love it. I paired a Rose Cummings pink silk taffeta with a sage, cream, pink and black striped silk and it really looks smashing without being too feminine. Why not go down to the design center and get inspired by ONE signature fabric that you both adore and then build from there? Call me and I'll meet you down there! :) LM

Porch privacy: Ikea has some very inexpensive white sheers that would be perfect, elegant looking and so fun when they waft around in the breeze.

Jura Koncius: Love that look.

Dining table decor: How do I go about creating a display of tall curly willow or something similar that will create height, but won't look like a wedding reception centerpiece or be so tall or wide that people will have to look around it or above it to talk to one another?

Jura Koncius: Have you thought of doing a series of small vases, each with a single flower or stalk of curly willow. The flowers should not be so thick or tall that you can't see around them while dining.

How do you make a golf room comfy for observers?: What's some of your favorite furniture to put in a golf room? You have to take turns swinging the club, what would you suggest for comfy seating for observers?

Lynni Megginson: In the DC Design House we had a wonderfully cushy velvet sofa behind the stance mat with portable accent chairs upholstered in a striped ottoman cloth that pulled the colors together. The seating really depends on how the room will be used. Many times we will combine our golf rooms with a theatre room and install theatre type seating that's comfortable as well as stylish (no more puffy puffy chairs!). If it's going to be a true golf room, you could use leather arm chairs, or add a game table with side chairs that can be moved around the room if necessary. We would love to help you with your project so please don't hesitate to call! LM

Jura Koncius: - to the reader who said they could not find the narrative to explain what the items are in today's House Calls - you click on the blinking numbers to get the description. Let us know if you have other questions or concerns.

House Calls Thoughts: So a designer suggested adding a conversation pit to liven up a kitchen? A designer came up with this?? Sorry. Not impressed. Unusable in my world.

Jura Koncius: But it's so retro!!!!!

Party Set Up: Hey! My mother was Party Dudette when I was growing up. She always used a sturdy baby pool full of tons of ice to hold bottles and cans of beverages outside in the backyard. It looks fun, and because the pools are shallow, you don't have to stick your arm up to your shoulder into a vat of ice to get a cold drink at the end of the night. If you're having a huge outdoor party, it is definitely the way to go!

Jura Koncius: What a fabulous idea for Memorial Day Weekend!

Paint!: Hi everyone! I'm getting ready to have my condo painted. I initially wasn't planning on re-painting the crown molding, chair rails, or ceilings because they seem to be in pretty good shape. But I'm wondering if that will change once I see them right next to a new paint job. Do you usually advise people to paint everything?

Jura Koncius: Make the extra effort - it will be worth it.

Party rooms: Hi, Lynn and Jura -- What are the "must have" key elements for a basement party room -- a small space that is in transition from kids' playroom to a place our teens and maybe our friends might like to hang out?

Lynni Megginson: Hi, it's Lynni! Of course I'm going to suggest putting in a golf room (hee hee!) but if the room is on the smaller side I would recommend integrating all of your "media" together to make it a cool hang out room. When I say "integrate", I mean designing an audio video system that allows the kids to transition easily from watching movies in a theatre setting to playing wii, X-box, Guitar Hero, etc. all in high definition with surround sound. As a parent, I know how important it is to know where your kids are, and having the "cool" basement to hang out in gives you peace of mind when they have their friends over! I would also find a way to incorporate a good looking game table that will work for projects for the kids and bridge or poker for the adults. Comfortable furniture that is easy to care for is also a must: true Ultra Suede (not just the microfiber fabrics that tend to get "shiny" with age) is a breeze to clean up with nothing more than a sponge and water, and looks like a million. Bring in some fun memorabilia and some oversized canvases like the ones we used in the DC Design House to set the stage, and above all have fun with it. I'm happy to help you with your project so feel free to give me a call!

Man cave basement flooring suggestions: I can't rave enough about resilient plank flooring from several manufacturers such as Congoleum, Mannington and Armstrong. It looks like real wood flooring, spills wipe right up, no mildew problems. And it feels great to walk on , barefooted.

Jura Koncius: Sounds perfect.

Virtual Golf Room?: What exactly is this? More than just wii golf?

Lynni Megginson: Oh my gosh, this makes wii look like the old Atari!It's the ONLY High Definition Golf Simulator in the world that shows you the ACTUAL courses that have been photographed in HD. It's not computer animated, it's as close to the real thing as you can get. We will be opening a showroom soon in the DC area so you can come check it out for yourself once we get it completed. And by all means go to our website at www.virtualgolfgirl.com to check out more information and to join our mailing list for events. LM

tacky toilet bowl stain: Please advise how to deal with this embarrassing, ugly, hard stain in the bowl. I have tried Comet, old tooth brushes and my brute strength. Nothing has worked. I know you will have some wisdom here. Many thanks!

Lynni Megginson: My go to cleaner is Lime Away. It's sometimes hard to find but it really works! LM

Place for soft drinks for a party: I always seem to have problems finding a good place for the soft drinks for my parties. There ends up being too much water everywhere. I want to add to my kitchen. What could I add that would resolve this?

Lynni Megginson: Oh my gosh! I was just on a flight from AZ two days ago and I was looking through the Sky Mall catalogue, and they have a new product that is a sweat proof drink caddy/ice bowl. It's amazing: big enough to hold wine bottles or cans/bottles of beer, and good looking to boot! I don't have a copy of it, but I'm sure you can go to www.skymall.com or something like that to find it. Good luck!

Please help!: Hello, I love you guys! So much so, that my husband heard me talk about the Q and A and suggested that I post my question today. Who knew he was paying attention when I was talking home decor! Anywho, we will be painting our new house this weekend and can't agree on how to paint. The house is an old Baltimore Tudor, so when you walk in you go immediately into the living room, and the dining room and kitchen are open and directly behind. The only thing separating the living room from the dining room is an archway and the same is true for the kitchen and dining area. I would like to paint the living room in a soft gray and the dining room and kitchen a pale yellow. DH thinks the kitchen and dining room should be different colors to differentiate the space, but I think that the archway already does that. What do you think? Also, some color suggestions would be VERY helpful. Thank you!

Jura Koncius: Good for you for spending your long weekend beautifying your house! I do think the archway does define the space so you don't absolutely need different paint colors. You might think about using two slightly different shades of yellow for the dining room and kitchen, though - a trick I learned from a recent article I did on the McGraw family in the Palisades. (I will post article this shortly.) You could do Glidden's Buttercup and Glidden's Sweet Pineapple; or Behr's Custard Cream or Sweet Corn. I really like Wickham Gray by Benjamin Moore.

Party House: Another fun thing is to put your pool to use if you have one: the drinks can sit in shallow bins and float around staying cool. Of course, as the evening goes on hilarity may ensue as people reach just a little too far...

Jura Koncius: I need to get a pool.

Rocci Fisch: The McGraws think boldly about paint

Man sofa: I want to get a sofa or sectional with dual recliners, something a man would like. However, I don't want it to look like the traditional Barcalounger or La-Z-Boy puffy pillow thing. Do you have any suggestions? If I have to get the La-Z-Boy (due to popular demand in the household), what would look the better?

Lynni Megginson: There are a LOT of great looking leather recliner/theatre seating type products on the market, and I feel your PAIN when you talk about the super puffy chairs (don't care for them myself!). Classic Leather has some great ones, as well as my favorite chairs I use for my projects by Oasis (named most comfortable theatre chair in the world by Robb Report magazine). I'll be happy to help you with any of your furniture needs...just give me a call and we'll look at some catalogues! Thanks!

Front door that POPS!: I am looking to paint my front door. I live in a brick (dark like a burgundy brick) rowhouse and want a WOW front door. Any BM suggestions?

Jura Koncius: You could go for Benjamin Moore's Mellow Yellow, Taste of Berry or Marlboro Blue. Drive around your neighborhood and look at houses like yours - and take note of the colors of doors that speak to you.

House Calls Kitchen: I like the kitchen! I think the brick wall AND the unusual floor covering add to its appeal. I can understand why it isn't for everyone, but i know that I would probably want to keep those unique features. Also, I hate to cook and our family does not hang around in the kitchen---large kitchens seem a waste of space to me, and I don't care about "flow", etc. A small, good-looking kitchen would work for me. A built-in desk and/or a small seating area (such as appears in the House Calls kitchen) also appeal to me. So, good job!

Jura Koncius: Merci.

Ideas for Master Bedroom/Bathroom: Good morning! I want to completely re-do my master bedroom and bathroom: the only things I'm keeping are the neutral tan carpet, a chocolate leather headboard, and two contemporary silver table lamps with round pear-green shades. The sink part of the bathroom is open to the bedroom. Any ideas for colors and finishes throughout the space?

Lynni Megginson: I adore the color combination of chocolate brown, pale green, cream and sand beige: it's fresh and soothing and there are SO many great new fabrics out now with this palette. Play off of your tan carpeting by making sure your fabrics reflect this tone since it's the main "color" in the room, and don't be afraid to bring in some organic touches such as wallcoverings with actual leaves embedded in them for your bath area. Sounds like you're off to a great start...now you just have to find ONE fabric you fall in love with and build the room around that. I'm happy to help you out, so don't hesitate to call! We do more than just golf rooms you know! LM

Toilets and shutoff valves: Last week, I needed to replace the rubber flapper in a toilet tank, and I found that the water shutoff valve wouldn't budge. I had to shove a coffee can under the float to stop the water flow. Later, I checked the shutoff valves on the other toilet, the sinks, washing machine, etc., and almost all of them are stuck. Most haven't been touched in the twenty years I've lived here. I'm having a plumber come over next week. It's a good thing to check these BEFORE you have an emergency.

Jura Koncius: Yikes! This is a terrific warning to all of us.

paint for closets: What are good paint colors for walk-in closets that have no windows? Should they be a lighter tint of the room they serve? What kind of light bulbs are best for bringing out the true colors of clothes? Husband wants to coordinate suit, shirt and tie while standing in the closet.

Lynni Megginson: I always paint closets Shell White, something creamy without a harsh blue undertones like a lot of Bright Whites have. I think it's important to have a VERY neutral and clean background in a closet, because with no windows the wall color can alter the actual shades of the clothing that's inside. Clean white walls always win hands down in a closet. LM

Kitchen in pink-how to change it over?: Hi-about 8 years ago we redid our kitchen and had large pinkish-peach ceramic tiles installed, formica granite look counters and light cherry cabinets. The backsplash used smaller versions of the pink tiles. Appliances are stainless and black. Now, we are considering selling the house, and need to figure out make its appeal broader. What color scheme on the walls would go well with the existing tile, counters etc.?Thanks for your help.

Jura Koncius: It sounds very nice. I'm sensing that you dont' want to highlight the pinkish/peach part of the kitchen by using a paint that color. You could pick up a color from your granite - I'm not sure whether that is brownish-pink or black or what. But a very very pale peachy pink color such as Benjamin Moore's Soft Pink might work. Or you could do something more neutral - Ralph Lauren's Cream Stone is nice.

House Calls: I live in Oklahoma City, and I love Thursday morning House Calls! I've learned so many interesting and useful things from your guests, and the people who write in. I think it's great!! Keep up the good work!

Jura Koncius: Thank you so much!

Painting Ceilings: I have a condo that is half underground and doesn't get a lot of natural light (nicknamed "The Cave" by friends). I'm getting ready to put it on the market, but need to do some painting first. Should I use ceiling paint for the ceilings, or use wall paint with a slight sheen (e.g. eggshell) on the ceiling to help bounce a little more light around?

Lynni Megginson: I like the idea of using eggshell on the walls, but sometimes eggshell on the ceiling does nothing more than bring out "flaws" that might be unnoticed were they painted in a flat color. I would use some light, very neutral colors and up the wattage in your lamps/ceiling fixtures. You can also use "daylight" bulbs that mimic the feel of sunlight in the room that may help in your quest to make the room feel brighter. Good luck! LM

Rocci Fisch: The humble kitchen sink has become a stylish fixture

kitchen renovation: Thanks so much for posting the photo gallery of kitchens and the brief article on sinks and the before/after of the local kitchen. I asked this last week but hope you can answer this week. My husband and I are embarking on a kitchen redesign. We love open space/light and mod feel and light wood. Our current kitchen is a small u-shaped design that opens to a family room. We are thinking of taking a wall down to open the kitchen to the dinin room. But we are overwhelmed with the numerous choices for cabinetry, flooring, etc. Are there any good resources you recommend for a project like this? Or good tips on how to go about a kitchen renovation. Also we have two kids that love to cook ( ages 8 and 10) and I want to make the kitchen a welcome place to cook and entertain. We have had one in home consultation and got some ideas but mostly now feel even more at sea. There are so many choices. Thanks! Thoughts, suggestions??!!

Jura Koncius: Thanks for mentioning the kitchen sink article today. I have asked Rocci to post it as I found it very informative myself. I know how you feel about being overwhelmed by the scope of a kitchen redesign or renovation. That's why I believe getting the help of a professional is key. Either hire someone for a few hours to give you ideas or options, or if you can afford it, work with a company that will do a design/build job for you. There are too many places you can make expensive mistakes. Read design magazines and rip out pages of things and elements you like. HGTV has a lot of shows that feature kitchen makeovers. There are so many choices, but try not to let it drive you crazy.

Shutoff Valves: I had the same problem with the shutoff valves in my condo. After trying and trying to turn the valves, I sprayed some Liquid Wrench (sort of a high power WD-40) on the valves, let it sit overnight and then they magically turned in the morning. The valves start to corrode over time and the mineral deposits cause them to seize up.

Jura Koncius: I'm putting Liquid Wrench on my weekend shopping list.

Fun times for the dogs: I can still use it for a laundry tub (I hope!) and it will make washing my dogs so much easier.Doggie spa.

Jura Koncius: Lucky dog.

Toddler Play Area: Hi, any advice for combining a toddler play room and man cave into one room? The only area we have in the house for a play area and for my husband's wide screen TV is our basement rec room. I feel sort of bad that my husband doesn't have his own space. Every other room in the house is decorated pretty much with my ideas and nothing is very manly. Is there any way to man up the rec room but also make it feel toddler friendly? Thanks.

Lynni Megginson: The key to making the room feel like your husbands own space is to use colors and accessories that reflect him. Don't be afraid to go with something fun like a navy and green palette or the yummy burnt oranges we used in the DC Design House. Make sure you incorporate either custom cabinetry or fit out the closets for your childrens play things to keep them out of sight when they are not using them. Maybe cut in a little putting green in one corner (the kids would love this too!) and make sure that all of the gaming you have (wii, X-Box, etc) is all incorporated into one system and that the components and wires are hidden away neatly. In my experience there is nothing that says that you can't have a beautiful, kid friendly room that is an area the whole family will enjoy being in together. Good luck and call me if you need any more advice on your project! LM

Merging households: I'm getting married this year and moving into my future husband's condo (he owns, I rent, so this made the most sense). He's told me I can do whatever I want to his bachelor pad, but he wants to keep the sofa (it's a modern chocolate leather, so I'm okay with that). He's painted the walls a buttery yellow with olive accents. The buttery yellow parts are extensive, so I thought instead of repainting the whole thing, it'd be easier to repaint the accents. Do you have suggestions for complements to a buttery yellow? There's lots of light in his place with floor-to-ceiling windows, so I'd love it to be warm and airy.

Lynni Megginson: I would choose a pale tobacco brown color that would "pop" in the room yet still compliment the chocolate leather and the hits of olive green. Accent walls should be just that: unexpected burst of color that showcase either artwork, a collection of memorabilia, etc. Don't be afraid of a strong color in these small areas, just make sure the base tone blends with the chocolate tones of the sofa. Happy painting! LM

Party rooms: I'm hosting a baby shower in July with about 20 people. That's going to be crowded for my living room, but it would work on my deck, if its not too hot. I live in central Pennsylvania and the backyard is forested, so it stays pretty cool. (Of course, I will ask the mom-to-be what she prefers and that will ultimately dictate where we're at!) What do I need to do to make the deck comfortable for a party? Thanks much!

Jura Koncius: and keep ice in a cooler.

toilet bowl stains: This is an easy fix. Just purchase a plumbers pumice stone (available in the cleaning supplies section of any hardware store). Rub it on the stains and voila'.

Jura Koncius: Voila.

Follow to last week's door donation: Hi! This is a follow up to last week's question from someone who had doors to donate. Another poster said that they should check out the Community Forklift thrift store for home improvement. I want to add that there are also some great reuse resources on their green links page. You can find out how to recycle or donate everything from used drywall to old appliances. They also have a directories that list every thrift store for building materials in the region. I am remodeling an old rowhouse and with this info, I sent very little to the landfill and found some great reclaimed materials as well.

Jura Koncius: Very helpful. Thanks.

Vertical Blinds: Help! Sliding glass door off the kitchen currently outfitted with (ugh!) vertical blinds. Door is used several times a day to let our dog in and out, but we also have a nosy neighbor... Any recommendations for privacy while still allowing easy access?

Lynni Megginson: Actually, we have a really cool product for just this situation. It's a woven wood blind that actually slides to the right or to the left (depending on your door swing) while staying in the down position. Think of it as a hanging screen that slides sideways on a track. They look like a million dollars and can safely be in the side position while letting your dot in and out. Your nosy neighbor will be foiled and you'll have a much more stylish look than your vertical blinds! LM

Home Front Fun Rooms: Hi Lynni,We have a bonus room over the garage that we would like to turn into a karaoke lounge. This space is for adults. We get together with about 20 friends once a month for lots of singing, and a potluck. Any design suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lynni Megginson: Are you KIDDING ME? Am I invited? Can I help you design it? That is like a dream come true, for I have these illusions that a) I can sing and that b) people will not run away in horror when I sing. With that said, I would absolutely love to consult with you about your project. My associate Rick Baron with SWAT is the MAN when it comes to all things Audio Video: he can totally hook you up with everything you need as far as sound systems, integrating your components, etc. You would definitely want to make sure you could incorporate movie watching and something cool like X-Box or Guitar Hero to make it a true multi media game room everyone will enjoy. Definitely give me a call! (I promise not to sing! ) LM

golf room!!: I love this idea, and think my husband would be over the moon to have something like this in his man cave. However, he uses the small-ish basement partly as an office, partly as a playroom (he has a race car simulator thing, plus his PS3, and then he stores his surfboards on the walls). How much space would we need to have a golf room, and could we still have usable space for other things? I would really love to be able to do something like this for him, but I know he also wouldn't want to give up all his other stuff!!

Lynni Megginson: That's easy: I'll just incorporate all of the "stuff" into the design of the room. How cool would it be to turn the surfboards into ART, and make it a beachy vibe. One of the courses I have on my simulator is Casa De Campo in the Dominican Republic and those beaches are amazing...pull from that inspiration and you've got the ultimate surfer/golfer hang out.I really love a challenge, and finding ways to incorporate my clients personalities into the mix is something I really love doing. There are so many cool products out there on the market now: I just find the RIGHT ones to make everything work and rock it out for you. Definitely please give me a call! This sounds like a fun project! LM

party ideas: How would you set up for a party in a one bedrom apartment? Kitchen is small but separate. Dining room open to long living room. Bedroom is substantial in size, but really has no place for people to sit other than on the bed. I'm thinking the only option is buffet set up on the dining room table, and encourage a lot of sitting on the floor, but I welcome any other ideas....

Jura Koncius: This is a real challenge for everyone in your situation. And of course I remember my one bedroom apartment days at the Carillon House on Wisconsin Ave and Calvert Street! Some great parties there.. but I digress. The bar can be set up in the kitchen - its crowded but at least it keeps all that kind of stuff together and near the ice. You can use your sink as a cooler if you need to. Put all the food on the dining table - don't put it all over the house as it will just clutter things up. You might consider investing in some floor cushions from places such as Ikea, West Elm or World Market.

Purple kitchen: I am in the process of re-doing my kitchen. It will (very soon!) have cabinets with a "natural" maple finish (they are essentially yellow), deep purple walls, and countertops, appliances, and floor that are white. I would love to incorporate an accent color (light fixtures, countertop items, etc.), but I'm not sure what to chose. I'm not afriad of bold combinations. Suggestions?

Jura Koncius: Love your boldness! I think a color such as red would really pop with the purple! They make a red Kitchen Aid mixer and red coffee makers!

Paint Color for Bathroom: I am redoing a bathroom and using mainly travertine in a light tan color. I have accent border glass that has browns, and a hint of red and orange. Any suggestion for a paint color?

Lynni Megginson: Is this a powder bath? If so, go crazy with the color because it won't matter. If it's a bathroom you're actually going to use for personal grooming/make up, etc you'll want to tone the color down and use maybe a pretty deep beige with some fun artwork that incorporates the reds, etc. The two colors that never work in bathrooms (in my humble opinion) are lavender and pale green because the light cast can make your skin look very sallow and if you're applying makeup you may be shocked when you step out in the natural light!

Jura Koncius: Lynni gave great flooring suggestions for anyone's wet basement issues. You win Flowers Chic & Cheap. Send your mailing address to localliving@washpost.com to claim your prize. Hope everyone has a terrific Memorial Day Weekend. Sign up for my tweets at www.twitter.com, follow@jurakoncius. I will be tweeting live from the amazing Sotheby's preview of the Kluge sale at Albermarle House in Virginia on Monday. Millions of dollars worth of antiques and treasures. Enjoy your weekend everyone. And Lynni - you were amazing - so much great info and fun stuff. Thank you for joining us. Bye now.

Clothes Lines: I know this isn't part of this topic, but until I saw your tip in this morning's e-news, I thought I was an Army of One when it came to using my "Solar Dryer." Mine is in the form of the old-fashioned pulley line. I've always loved hanging laundry outdoors - especially sheets. A covenant in a neighborhood that prohibits laundry lines would be a deal-breaker if I were interested in buying a house. HOA's need to see the bigger picture and reconsider the overall effect that using a clothes dryer has on the environment.

Jura Koncius: !!!

1940s bathroom: Hi! We're renovating our bathroom and have tried carefully to keep it in the style of our 1940s house via the black and white floor tile and bathroom sink. Now I'm stuck with what to do about paint, shower curtain and accessories. I purchased some great feed sack quilt squares from etsy, and am thinking about doing yellow walls, framing and hanging the quit squares, and altering a plain white shower curtain to include some feedsack yo-yos along the top. What do you think. Too over-the-top? It is very charming in my head (think Country Living), but I worry it will be hokey in real life.

Lynni Megginson: I wouldn't get too theme-y for resale. Pale yellow walls will work, and framing one or two of the quilt squares would be charming. I would simply use a pretty white linen cutout shower curtain and a needlepoint rug as a bathmat and it will look pretty, fresh and clean. No need to go over the top: your home will sell quickly if you allow the potential buyer to imagine their things in your space. Good luck to you! LM

Post a Comment

Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company