Economy Dept. with Frank Ahrens -- Live video discussion on the latest business news, June 2, 2010

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Frank Ahrens
Thursday, June 3, 2010; 10:30 AM

Economy Watch blogger Frank Ahrens hosted a live video discussion about the latest business news.

Frank Ahrens: As BP continues to struggle with the Gulf spill, its stock price plummets. Does this make the oil giant a takeover target?

Frank Ahrens: We're expecting promising news from Friday's unemployment report. Have we turned the corner on joblessness?

Frank Ahrens: Most automakers enjoyed a solid May -- except for Toyota. Is the recall blowback finally taking hold?

Gulf tourism impact: What effect do you think the Gulf oil spill and the spread of it to other areas will have on the overall national economy? Estimates have been in the millions for the tourism business in several states. Will the impact be felt all around the country?

Charging more for video: There are reports that for new customers AT and T is going to be charging more for video/data stream downloads, that it won't be unlimited as in previous plans and that it will free up bandwidth (which is apparently limited). Do you think this is a good idea? Will consumers now feel ripped off? Is AT and T feeling the heat because Verizon is supposedly getting its own version of the iPhone?

Rockville, Md.: Obama extends benefits of gay federal workers. It's about time. But tell me, why are there two options for benefits -- single or family? Why should a childless couple (or couple with grown children) pay the same rate for benefits as I do (a wife, and two small kids)? Why should I pay the same as a family of 8? Benefits should cost more as you need/use more. More kids should mean higher costs.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity