'Top Chef DC' analysis -- Review of Episode 1

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Joe Yonan,Jane Black
Thursday, June 17, 2010; 12:00 PM

Food editor Joe Yonan and staff writer Jane Black offer their take on the premiere of Top Chef DC and take your questions and comments during a live video discussion.

Andrea Caumont:

Andrea Caumont: What did you think of the mise en place quickfire challenge? Kenny totally owned it and then lost to Angelo in the last round. Were you surprised?

Elimination challenge: Joe, you were at the party in the episode. Would you have made any decisions differently than the judges based on the dishes you tried?

Top Chef predictable winners: Am I wrong, or are some contestants clearly head and shoulders above the rest? A more balanced group makes for a lot more suspense.

Please get rid of.....: ...Padma! I'd really love for her to get voted off. I'm a bit tired of her haughtiness and drama.Dear Bravo--please replace Padma with Kelly Choi from Top Chef Masters.Thanks.

Foam City: It seems, going back at least three seasons, that if you put foam on your dish you win.What makes foam so appealing to the judges? Can we call them foamers?

From the Top of the Newseum: I thought it was quite funny to watch the premiere of Top Chef in the nation's capital, only to see the Canadian flag waving brightly in the background of the first challenge. It made me feel like an insider, since, as a Washingtonian, I knew the Canadian embassy was next door. But who else would know that?

Top Chef DC: Is there a community service episode? For example, cooking for DC Kitchen and its constituents?Thanks!

The guy who was chopped last night really bugged me: Maybe its just me but the guy who was chopped last night really bugged me - his appearance with all that long hair that wasn't secured away just looked unhygienic to me. All I could think of was finding hair in the food he cooked.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity