John's Videos   |  Blog   |   Contact John  |   Reunions   |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

John Kelly's Washington: The heat: Should dress codes be relaxed? Plus, Washington tourists.

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
John Kelly
Friday, July 23, 2010; 12:00 PM

John Kelly: Everybody talks about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it. Until now.The record temperature for July 24--tomorrow-- is 96 degrees, set in 1987. The Capital Weather Gang is pretty sure we're going to beat that. But just to be on the safe side, we should probably help. Starting right now I urge everyone in the Washington area to turn on the heat in their houses, light a fire in their fireplaces, start their cars and turn the heater on full blast, barbecue, run around outside while exhaling frequently, give the ground an Indian burn (place hands on pavement; rub back and forth vigorously), watch racy movies on pay-per-view, bake birthday cakes for centenarians and make sure to carry the cakes--candles blazing--outside, do anything that will raise the mercury a few degrees.If all of us pitch in, we can have the satisfaction of setting a new record.We can chat about the heat today, certainly, but I also want to explore the issues I raised in my Monday and Thursday columns: How to make tourists less-annoying to Washingtonians.Now don't get me wrong (ever notice how whenever anyone starts a sentence "Now don't get me wrong" they turn out to be a jerk?), I love tourists. I'm happy they're here. And the suggestions I made by no means apply only to tourists. Really they fall under the category of "Ways to be considerate in a city." If you have any other suggestions you'd like to add, by all means by my guest.Now I'm going to go turn on the toaster oven....

Rule breaking on metro ok if you are doing it to entertain a child?: Since you are a champion of civility, I thought I would ask your opinion of the following situation. I boarded the Orange Line at Vienna yesterday and took a window seat. A couple took opposite aisle seats (one was next to me) and placed one of those gigantic strollers in between them. Then they pulled out a DVD player for the child and played a Sesame Street DVD at a medium volume all the way downtown. During the journey the child was given snacks and drinks. When I tried to get off the crowded train though, I essentially had to crawl over the husband and the stroller while in a skirt because there wasn't room for anyone to move over. These folks did not appear to be tourists as they were both in business attire. They basically broke three metro rules (no eating, drinking, playing audio/video devices without headphones) but because it was for a child, I suppose they thought it was ok? Just wondering what you think - does the fact that all this rule breaking was for a child mean that its ok or should they have followed the posted rules? I think the thing that bothered me most was that they didn't fold up the huge stroller and put the child in their lap. During rush hour, I think it's common courtesty to do so.

John Kelly: I believe there is a term for parents like that. What is it again? Oh yes, yuppie scum.I'm sorry, but part of being a parent is having to entertain your kid. I rue the day the portable DVD player was invented since so many parents use it as a crutch. And you're right, that violates the Metro rule against audio-video devices sans headphones. Hey Dad, why don't you stick some headphones on Junior's noggin? Yes it will probably damage his ears and make you look like an idiot, but at least it will keep us from having to listen to Elmo.And what's with the food? Also against the rules. Where's a transit cop when you need one?

Dead fly: I was drinking beer on my patio, and in between sips I noticed a floating fly. Instead of pouring the beer out and going inside to get a new one, I decided to fish the fly out and keep drinking. Do you think this would make a good beer commercial? "Does your beer pass the fly test?"

John Kelly: If you were a real man, you would have swallowed the fly. Of course, that could have been dangerous, as this story from Britain's Daily Mail illustrates: "TV presenter has severe asthma attack live on air after swallowing a mosquito."

John Kelly: Here are some tips sent in by "Chris from Arlington":respect to a caisson at Arlington. Who said that manners and decorum are best left at the DC city limits? You don't wear flip-flops inside on the White House tour, and when you visit Mt. Vernon, and go to the tomb of President Washington, it isn't ok to whip out your cell phone and start talking to your relatives in Jersey with a "guess where I am" booming voice. This is not a carnival or Great Adventure.

John Kelly: I like this idea from "Judith" on how to convince Metro riders they should move away from the doors: in ,move down !

Dress less: Women should be allowed to wear far less. Dress less ladies. Everybody should eat more ice cream. "On July 23, 1904, according to some accounts, Charles E. Menches conceived the idea of filling a pastry cone with two scoops of ice-cream and thereby invented the ice-cream cone. He is one of several claimants to that honor: Ernest Hamwi, Abe Doumar, Albert and Nick Kabbaz, Arnold Fornachou, and David Avayou all have been touted as the inventor(s) of the first edible cone." 9-11-1910 1st commercially successful electric bus line opens (Hollywood) What happened to the electric bus? Ahead of its time. The cone is timeless.

John Kelly: And to think that today's the anniversary of the ice cream cone. I wonder how we should celebrate?

Memento Mori: I'm working on my will, and I've concluded that I want to be preserved in honey, like Democritus. Should I provide lacyrmatories for my mourners to collect their tears, or should it be a BYOL service?

John Kelly: I think you should provide a selection of tear bottles from which mourners may choose. That will necessitate a visit to this Web page: Lachrymatory.com, the Tear Bottle information siteIt is scary what you can find on the Internet.

Have you been to the DEA museum?: DEA Museum

John Kelly: I haven't, but I know what I'm doing next week. Thanks for the tip!

What I did last summer: John: One year ago this week, I was in Oxford, U.K. taking a course in Shakespeare at Christ Church College. I stayed in an non air-conditioned dorm room, sleeping with the windows open. When I got up each morning, I rushed to put on clothes because the room was cold. May I please go back?

John Kelly: Yes. And take me with you. That sounds loverly.

because it was for a child, I suppose they thought it was ok?: They will spend their whole lives demanding special treament for THEIR CHILD. Every rule applies to everyone but their child. They've already started teaching that child s/he should be entitled to special treatment and not have to follow the rules everyone else does.

John Kelly: Exactly. And in 30 years the kid will be a professional athlete or governor of Illinois.I've said it before and I'll say it again: Being a parent is not always easy or fun. Yes children are cute and funny and make neat fashion accessories, but they occasionally must be told no. They will cry, they will stamp their feet, they will say they hate you, but so what? You have to be hard-hearted sometimes, whether it's saying no in the Giant checkout line when they lunge at the candy or saying no when they demand a bit of Big Bird on the subway.

follow up on "Notes for tourists": I was on the scene when the little girl was loaded into an ambulance at L'Enfant Plaza (she fell and her hand got caught in the escalator). Article topic suggestion: "Would you know what to do if ... happened on the metro?" Because frankly, I don't know where the escalator emergency buttons are.

John Kelly: I'm sorry to hear that a girl was hurt but as I waited for the Metro today I had a thought: Do Americans not know how to ride an escalator? rail and lift up your feet when getting on and off." Really? Lift up my feet? You mean I shouldn't just stand there stock still when I get to the end and hope that I will be telekinetically transported along?It's like on airplanes when they explain how to put on a seatbelt. Is there any living American who has not put on a seat belt or ridden on an escalator?

Apocalypse - continued: (Argh, my question submitted itself before I was finished typing) Anyway, the trigger for this was today's Metro section article about disintegrating sidewalks in Fairfax County and the state transportation dept. alloting $1,989 (!) for maintenance in 2011.

John Kelly: I don't see the other fragment of your question, but I take it you think that $1,989 is a paltry amount of money to budget for maintenance in 2011? You'd think they could have at least budgeted $2,011.

take your house guest to Monticello: He can see some rolling countryside, and Jefferson was an integral part of the founding of this nation. The house and gardens are amazing.

John Kelly: I mean, it dates to like the early 1700s! Of course, Rome goes to 800 B.C. so he may not have been impressed. I guess kids today just don't appreciate a woman in a mob cap spinning wool.

Rocci Fisch: It's 100 degrees, so don't forget your corduroy jacket

Fly Paper: Had flies. Just take a sheet of paper, spray with glue or smear with glue and smear a little honey on it and by all means keep drinking beer. I'm inventing spray honey for future use.

John Kelly: Remember when that liquid butter in the yellow plastic squeeze bottle came out? That was considered a breakthrough. But I can see spray honey being even bigger.

Favorite Tourist Story: I was leaving the Woodley Park metro station on my way home, and a group of tourists (mostly kids and a few chaperones) were taking pictures of the escalator and around it (I will never understand why people take pictures of an escalator, but anyways). Instead of saying, "Cheese!" the group of tourists were shouting, "SARAH PALIN!" They did this a few times until one of the adults say, "SHH! They like 'Obama' here." I think one girl looked like she wanted to cry.

John Kelly: They take pictures of escalators for the same reason they take pictures of the Grand Canyon: They've never seen it before and they may never see it again.Why do you think they were shouting "Sarah Palin"? In celebration? Or as some sort of incantation, in the hope that their god would intervene and fix the escalator?

Montgomery Village, Md.: John -- If you drank the beer with the fly in it, wouldn't you then have to swallow a spider to catch the fly..... I don't know why you swallow that fly; perhaps you'll die.

John Kelly: You might end up having to swallow a squirrel. (Do squirrels eat spiders?) Or you could avoid that by pouring yourself a beer from one of these bottles: Beer bottle cased in dead animals.Warning: Extreme animal lovers may find the idea disturbing.

Clothing: I think we should all wear life-like loose comfortable clothing. Covering up is a good thing but in this heat keep it loose. When growing up in England as a child we had to wear matching shoes, hat and gloves. I squirm at the tought today! I do love an occasion and feel we have lost the sense of occasion in our attire. I would however jump with joy if school uniforms where mandatory. Did you have a school uniform John?

John Kelly: The interesting thing about school uniforms--and this was a state school, not what we call a private one--is that the idea is to eliminate class differences. But the poor kids had horrible hand-me-down blazers and the wealthier kids had nice new ones--in wool!

escalator stop button: The buttons are at kicking height at the top and bottom of an escalator.

John Kelly: Thank you! There are similar buttons at the ends of the platform to notify incoming trains of problems.

besides the oft-cited stand on the right, walk on the left: I understand that when you get off a Metro train for the first time, you're not sure where you're going -- I get that. But don't stop and stare at the signs as soon as you walk off, creating a backup! Step off to the side and then figure out what exit will get you where you need to go.Also -- hollering really loud about where you need to get off while riding the Metro isn't appreciated. I know you're excited, but try to contain yourself a little at 7:30 am while we're trying to get some sleep.

John Kelly: I blame Metro for part of this. If there were more signs and better ones, people wouldn't need to stand in front fo the few that are there, blocking the people who know where theyr'e going. Metro system maps should be placed every 10 feet or so, and that particular line's information should be even more common.

They will cry, they will stamp their feet, they will say they hate you, but so what? : And you will LEAVE the library, NOT stay and inconvenience the rest of the library staff and patronage. That is an old courtesy I see fading: REMOVING the crying child from the public space!

John Kelly: Right. Remove and console. Return when crying has stopped.

Eliminate tour bus parking in D.C.: Tour buses should have a cell phone waiting area, like at airports. They could park at a giant parking lot, sayFedEx field, and only drive to the city when they're dropping off/picking up.

John Kelly: You do have cases like the Future Farmers of America kids I met up with earlier this week: They do a nighttime tour that leaves their Rosslyn hotels around 7 and goes to Iwo Jima, Lincoln Memorial, World War II, etc. They're not at any one long enough for their buses to drive off and park. So they end up parked along Constitution waiting for the kids to come back.

Dress codes: less is more better!: I work in an office where its business casual all the time. We never had any issues until it got really hot and we hired some summer interns from a local high-school program. Yikes. We had to come out with "no bare midrifts, no visible body piercings, no visible undergarmets." What parent let's their 17-year-old daughter go to work wearing daisy dukes, spike heels and a belly shirt? This country is doomed.

John Kelly: You wanna see doomed, go to Busch Gardens. I can stand to lose a few lbs myself, but, man, we are an obese nation. Also, I guess tattoos are here to stay. I saw more on women than on men, and a surprising amount were sort of chestal: big birds across the sternum and stuff. I'm not even a fan of a tasteful ankle butterfly but these things looked like the decal on the hood of a Firebird.

Apocalypse - First Part of Question: My question involved two frequent topics of articles in the post, and how they relate.1. The various new highway and Metro construction projects going on the area, and2. The lack of political or financial resources to maintain existing infrastructure.If there is no money available to repaint stripes, fix an escalator, or repair a sidewalk, how are we going to maintain the Springfield interchange and a new Metro line to Dulles? New construction gets the publicity and the ribbon-cutting, but we can't even maintain what we have now.

John Kelly: Good point. Don't they say that the reason Metro is in such bad shape is because there hasn't been money for decent upkeep over the years?

Escalator Virgins: I have long noticed that some tourists exhibit symptoms(delight, fear, awe) of never having ridden an escalator. I have decided that perhaps some people in small towns not near any large cities have probably never seen them. Being of a certain vintage, I also think back to where I first ecountered an escalator and it was at a mall in the early 60s. So if you haven't been to a mall...

John Kelly: Surely they've seen them on "Gossip Girl."

Metro: John, The platform at the Gallery Place going toward Shady Grove is a zoo in the mornings around 6:45 a.m. It gets so crowded that I have beef afraid of getting pushed off. Plus when a train comes there are so many people getting off that it can be really hard to get on the train. This morning there were two Metro employees on the platform and they did NOTHING to help with getting customers off and on the train. What gives?

John Kelly: I've seen Metro employees be pretty helpful in situations like that. I'm sorry to hear these two were dozing. A few dedicated Metro troubleshooters might help alleviate the logjam.In a sort of related issue, I was at the Post Office the other day and a postal employee was moving down the line, making sure people had the right forms and packaging. It sped things up once we finally got to the clerk.

Riding escalators: I don't know. We're used to them. We ride them everyday. My cousin's baseketball team came to D.C. for a tournament and spent much of their time riding the esclators at Air and Space up and down. Granted, they are 12-year-old boys and from CT, but still...

John Kelly: Hmmm.... Who wants to pony up for my new project: Esclator World. I seek a few investors to help me build a vertical/diagonal wonderland. It will feature state-of-the-art escalators that go up...and come down. Also try The Elevator (separate admission required).

Gaithersburg, MD: I'm torn about kids on the Metro. On the one hand, listening to their DVD is annoying. On the other, it's infinitely better than listening to someone's kid crying all the way downtown from Shady Grove (which has happened to me). If you want annoying, though, I was once on a flight from Barcelona to D.C. with a parent who thought everyone would want to hear their kids' Barney DVDs. Closest I've ever gotten to starting a fight on a plane.

John Kelly: I think the pilot should have intervened on that flight.

Sarah Palin: If you chant "Sarah Palin" three times fast while turning counter-clockwise and keeping your fingers crossed., Karl Rove will appear and tell you who is wearing the Ring of Power.

John Kelly: Is it Andrew Breitbart?

Escalator riders: When they make this announcement "When riding the escalator hold on to the hand rail and lift up your feet when getting on and off." why can't they also say "and please keep lifting your feet up and down (read "walk") when you get off and get yourself somewhere out of the way of the hordes behind you".

John Kelly: Good idea. But Metro is weird when it comes to recommending things. Like, it won't put up signs that say Stand on the Right, lest people think it's okay to walk on the left. (We can't have that: People might fall and sue Metro.) Therefore you have the announcment "You may have noticed most people stand on the right."

Your future: I can see it now (hopefully you will be spry enough to avoid this): you in a nursing home and all your doctors and nurses will have birds and butterflies tattooed on their legs, arms, sternums, even their fingers because the generation that considers tattoos grotesque will be in the hands of the generation that adores them.

John Kelly: Aaaaah! I find these female chest tattoos like male face tattoos: Isn't the female chest (and anyone's face) interesting enough on its own that it doesn't need embellishment?

these things looked like the decal on the hood of a Firebird.: After the push-up bra can't do any more: It's the last way of screaming "look at these!"

John Kelly: Ah. Why don't they just tattoo a sudoku there? Hours of brain-teasing fun!

The Awe of Metro: I don't know if they are taking pictures of the escalator, per se. We here in D.C. get jaded and forget how architecturally unique the Metro is for the non-D.C. resident. 1) The escalators are probably the longest escalators they have seen in their lifetime (think Woodley Park, Dupont, Rosslyn). Those are MUCH longer than the normal escalators people see in their local mall. 2) the cavernous ceilings of the escalator tunnel, and subsequently the platform are pretty amazing--huge, grand. Even if the tourists have been on transit systems elsewhere, it is doubtful they have seen anything like that before. So, I cut the picture takers a bit of slack....now the tourists who stand right at the open door while I am trying to detrain at L'Enfant and won't create a path through them, well no slack for them!

John Kelly: Escalator World will feature the longest escalator in the world: 555 feet, as tall as the Washington Monument. In the gift shop will be T-shirts that say "I got high at Escalator World."

Her tattooed chest: "looked like the hood of a Firebird." Man, I am so stealing that. Just terrific. It's not always, but you get some good ones off sometimes.

John Kelly: Take it, my friend. All I ask in return is that you make a contribution to Send a Kid to Camp.

RIP Daniel Schorr: I didn't know he was 93!

John Kelly: You can't have thought he was much younger. He sounded pretty old for the last 30 years. But what's impressive about him, among other things, is that he was sharp and working till the end. I'm sure I heard him on the radio just a few weeks ago. We should all be so lucky.

Escalators and tourists: About 20 years ago I flew from Kingston, Jamaica to JFK on an Air Jamaica flight filed mostly with Jamaicans. The first escalator they got to in the airport seriously scared the daylights out of people; people were just standing around trying to goad one another onto it.As for tourists, I've lived in DC and also been a tourist there. Chris from Arlington makes a good point - it's the nation's capital and the people who live there are merely its temporary custodians. Tourists are always going to be a little clueless. But complaining about the hayseed visitors is a little like pro athletes complaining about nosy fans. They make your life possible, so suck it up and deal with it. You can always move back to wherever else it is you actually came from.

John Kelly: We're certainly good enough at aggravating each other that we don't need tourists to do the job.

In effect, a commuter tax: Do you think that D.C. is deliberately making travel across the 14th Street Bridge as difficult as possible, to penalize those who live in Virginia but work in D.C.? I ask because we now have the everlasting major 14th Street Bridge repair project backing traffic up into Virginia every day, while simultaneously there is a long project at the beginning of the express lanes near the Jefferson Memorial that has left the road unpaved with huge "BUMP" signs that backed traffic up to the Mall last night at 7 p.m. After the snowmaggedon, D.C. left huge piles of snow in the right turn lanes at 14th and Independence for a week or more, backing traffic up into Virginia each morning, while they had plowed Independence Ave down to the tar. It can't be coincidence, can it?

John Kelly: Just imagine how nice it's going to be when it's all done, especially when they turn the kaleidoscope on.

Need a DC tourism slogan for our hot temps: Hi John,We need a new tourism slogan to capitalize on our record breaking temps. How about - Come to Washington, the Home of Hot Air - ?

John Kelly: It's not the heat, it's the stupidity?

fly in soup: Hey John--The fly in the beer story reminded me of a funny occurance. I recently got coffee at the McDonald's near work. The coffee had a hair in it (maybe lint--at least that's what I am hoping), so I pointed out the lint/hair and asked the McDonald's guy for another cup. He took the coffee from me, got a new cup, poured the coffee (lint/hair and all) into the new cup and handed it to me! When I laughed, he replied that I had asked for a new cup, not a new cup of coffee (which he then did get for me).

John Kelly: They're very literal at McDonald's.

Rockville, Md.: Yes, John, there are people who have not encountered escalators. I didn't believe it until I lived in downstate Illinois and had staff go to Chicago for a convention. Some in their middle years had never been out of the county and found treated escalators, tall building, etc. ,as a sight to behold. I know someone two blocks from here that has never been on Metro. In some parts of the country wearing a seat belt is giving in to the feds. Nothing surprises me anymore.

John Kelly: How about our next chatter:

Train Story: Reading the above story about tourists taking pictures of an escalator, I'm reminded of a story I read where an American living in Japan was taking a train to work, and another rider became ill all over one of the seats. For no apparent reason, everyone in the car, and people from other cars, paraded by and took cell phone pictures of the mess... Now, I ride the Baltimore light rail to work every day and I've never seen or even heard of something so bizarre...

John Kelly: I think those Japanese people feel they have to justify the cutting-edge technology they all have. If you have an 8 mp camera in your super-cool phone, you may as well use it.

I still turn into a kid around a revolving door: I just don't encounter any in my rountine in Richmond (there are some downtown, but I work in the 'burbs). I do get a little excited at the hotel in DC!

John Kelly: and a sign thta says "Please use revolving doors." And half the people won't, as if they're afraid of losing a limb or something. That's part of the experience! Gambling that you'll emerge unscathed. I never feel more alive than after I've successfully negotiated a revolving door.

Flip Flops on WH Tour: Dude when I have to go there for meeting I wear my flip flops. If I am wearing my Sperry Top Siders I don't wear socks at my office in the E ring of the Pentagon.Remember wearing socks designates any function as formal from Arpil 1 to Oct 15.

John Kelly: Nooooo! And men in ties and sandals? Ick.

Arlington, Va.: An earlier chatter concluded that "This country is doomed" based on the dress habits of high-school interns. I heartily agree -- because that same chatter included the following gems in his or her post: "... its business casual all the time..." (Try "it's" instead.) ..."no bare midrifts,..." (Try "midriffs" instead.) "What parent let's their 17-year-old ...." (Try "lets" instead) Wow.

John Kelly: So we're all agreed that the country is doomed. We just differ on exactly how and why it's doomed.

Remember the Bell Witch?: Well, here's a modern twist: go into a bathroom, turn out the lights, look in the mirror and say, "Sarah Palin, Sarah Palin, I hate you" three times. She will come out of the mirror, make a speech, and charge you 75 grand.

John Kelly: All righty then!

Tattoos - Why!???: You are so right. What is it with everybody getting tattoos these days? The small of the back tramp stamp thing was bad enough, but there are some really ugly ones out there now. We had a birthday party for my son a couple weekends ago and one of his little buddie's mom drops him off. I'd say late 30s, fairly normal looking from a distance. Then I see this thing that starts on the shoulder and covers 70 percent of her back/neck... this weird dragon eating some other animal thing. Would scare the pants off my 6-year-old.... uh, mommy are you a crystal meth tweaker?

John Kelly: I think I'm going to have to buy some of these fake tattoo sleeves and see the reaction I get.

Washington DC as a School Trip - Ugh: I had a summer job working as a life guard at a hotel in Crystal City. My first day on the job there was a modeling convention in the hotel and there were all these beautiful girls in swimsuits hanging around the pool. I was in heaven and thought I hit the jackpot. The next day and for the entire months of April and May we got the "senior school trip" to Washington crowd. Nothing worse than 30-50 goofy 16 and 17-year-old kids being led around by 3-4 corn-fed idiots from Iowa. Unless you count the random German and Fench tourists who'd get stuck in the hotel. Speedos and 250 pounds of pasty white belly don't mix.

John Kelly: The pool was probably the kids' favorite part of their trip. Who cares how a bill becomes a law when you can splash each other?

"Us" and "Them" : About the "Say Sarah Palin" group and the "They" who live here: About two years ago nearing sunset on a slow, peaceful Sunday night in the Courthouse area of Arlington, I was standing behind a family of four, presumably from the midwest-ish area (Green Bay Packers shirts). Preparing to cross an intersection, the dad instructed his family ruefully: "Be careful. They'll run you over here and keep going without even thinking about it." I thought it was harmlessly amusing for about two or three seconds, then I got angry and discouraged.

John Kelly: Can't we all just get along?Of course, that does seem to happen every now and then around here. I suppose it happens other places, too.

Grrr....: Some people actually are FROM DC, you know. This temporary custodian business is annoying. Happy Friday to you, John :)

John Kelly: Exactly. But we have to remember that there wouldn't be a Washington to be from if it wasn't for the government. And if it wasn't for the government, there wouldn't be the things the tourists come to see.

DC: You're not allowed to complain about Metro etiquette if you use the "word" detrain.

John Kelly: Isn't that what that dwarf shouted in "Fantasy Island"? De-train! De-train!(And since his name was Tattoo this chat has come full circle.)

Child-rearing: Wow! I've learned so much about raising my child from this chat - thanks everyone!

John Kelly: Feel free to consult us again next week.

Don't blame the Transit Police: I understand that "the law" says you're not supposed to eat or drink on the Metro, nor are you supposed to run a DVD player. But put yourself in the shoes of a Transit P.D. officer. Does he really need that hassle? If the parents are confident enough to act that way, they must be pretty important people. Lest you know, they might be good friends with somebody who holds funding discretion over Metro. It's not like they're pulling a gun, and there's no news camera around to document Metro laziness. Best to step back and leave them alone.

John Kelly: I doubt they would say anything. Another thing that bothers me is people--teens, mostly--who listen to songs by holding their phone up to their ear and blasting some song without earphones. They're just as annoying as a Sesame Street DVD.

Wasn't Butter: It was I can't believe it's not butter. You can't fake honey.

John Kelly: How about blood? Do hospitals use I Cant' Believe It's Not Plasma?

Screaming children: My mom once left a full cart of groceries in the store when my baby brother threw a fit. I've never seen anyone else do this, but I wish they would.

John Kelly:

Take it, my friend ... Just make a donation: You know what? You got me. I will. Promise.

John Kelly: I thank you and the kids thank you.And thanks, all, for stopping by to chat today. Don't forget to turn on your electric blankets tonight so we can break that record! Answer Man will be in the paper on Sunday. No chat next week, I'm afraid, as we head north for some college visits for Daughter No. 2.Stay cool this weekend.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity