washingtonpost.com
Chatological Humor: Updated Aug. 3 | Aug. 10 | Aug. 17|

Gene Weingarten
Tuesday, July 27, 2010; 12:00 PM

Gene Weingarten: Aug. 3 | Aug. 10

Gene Weingarten: Good afternoon. was perfect. This was it: Shootout at the Schizophrenic Corral. We mailed them to Callahan, anonymously, without explanation, postmarked from another city.-- One of these I mentioned in the update last week, for a story about a woman who sought damages on a man who bit her derriere:HE BITES HERS; SHE SUES HIS.s penis:A NIGHT TO RE-MEMBERAnd on a story about a man whose job it was to empty public porta-potties:WASTE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO MIND.-- By now you should have decided whether they are tasteless.--Okay, please take todays polls. Yes, those cartoons in the Tasteless poll are Callahan's. By now you should have decided whether they are tasteless.Obnoxious poll Tasteless pollSexist poll: MEN | WOMENMany fine questions await. Let's go.

Sleeping on the Cou, Chicago: Gene, as of 9:33 am, 25 percent of women didn't find any of the ads funny. Does a full quarter of the female population of your chat really have no sense of humor?

Gene Weingarten:

Men are better than women: See, that didn't offend me because it is - well - silly. It's a statement that is just false. But "It's nice to have a girl around the house" has a touch of truth to it, which makes it more offensive.

Gene Weingarten:

date lab in sunday's wash post mag: what is the deal in matching up a Palistinian and a Jewish guy? Seems like it would be almost guaranteed to be awkward.

Rachel Manteuffel: Date Lab saves the world

Gene Weingarten:

Year of the Pitcher: How would you explain the amazing pitching we have seen this year in baseball? Two* perfect games and three other no hitters and we aren't even close to being done! Could it be drug testing is having that much of an effect?And will the Mets ever, ever throw one? (*we all know it should be three)

Gene Weingarten:

cornhuskers: You and I are both from the New York metropolitan area where it was verboten to husk (or "shuck") as my dad used to say. I think other parts of the country have no such rules. I can't stand watching people do it, especially this time of year. Just spend another quarter on two more ears and spend 15 fewer minutes in the store, plus keep your food mess to your own home (or yard).

Gene Weingarten:

Gene Weingarten: You have gaily trashed our corn -- you might as well have peed on it and put it back on the rack.

Breitbart and Carlson?: So what's your take on Andrew Breitbart? He smeared ACORN with doctored video footage, but that didn't do anything but increase his popularity among conservative. He then smeared an innoncent federal employee - that too seems to be a plus to those railing against an NAACP plea for the Tea Party to rid itself of racist elements. Have we entered a new age where people no longer want unbaised news; they no longer care about the truth, and only want to read and hear things that conform with their worldview?How about Tucker Carlson? He's posted some e-mails from Journolist - a liberal listerve made up of opinion bloggers, columnists, and academics. Supposedly, this confirms what conservatives have known all along - the liberal media conspires to get liberals elected. Never mind that reporters were not part of the listserve, only opionion bloggers and jouranlist who's job is to expresss their opinion. Where does Tucker Carlson lie on the sleezball spetctrum for his "outrage" over this?

Rachel Manteuffel:

Gene Weingarten:

corn husking: Judging from the answers apparently most of your audience is ignorant. Pulling the husk back speeds up spoiling of the corn and is totally unnecessary. Any normal human with feelings in the hands can tell if the ear is ripe by just squeezing it very gently.

Rachel Manteuffel:

Gene Weingarten:

Callahan: To be fair, the cartoons you described in your intro are much funnier than the ones you picked for the poll. Were you trying to get us to say he was unfunny/offensive?

Gene Weingarten:

Obnoxious poll: I had difficulty answering #8 because I think that men splaying their legs is always obnoxious, and anyone putting a bag on a seat is justified if there are empty seats available. The whole leg splaying thing is gross and obnoxious, because men do it even when people are sitting next to them.

Gene Weingarten:

Did you see this piece?: Seems pretty familiar. How is something like this viewed in professional journalism? While it clearly does not meet the definition of plagiarism, the author used just about all of the same sources as you did.

Gene Weingarten:

Tasteless: Wow....I think people are just lying to themselves when the majority says the cartoons aren't that tasteless. They are incredibly tasteless, but they are also pretty funny. I think the two are not mutually exclusive.

Rachel Manteuffel:

Gene Weingarten:

The new Comic: Whenever we have this rich man vs bum dynamic going on the American Indians always get thrown in there by virtue of not owning any land directly. I'd love to see a week's run on how an unproductive non working begger/philosopher would survive in an actual native american society. We get all the obvious irony of a man who has everything but isn't happy, but none of the irony of the man who is only able to survive on handouts from the society he is determined not to participate in. Are the homeless supposed to be the new 'nobel savages'?

Rachel Manteuffel:

Gene Weingarten:

East Coast Bi, AS: East Coasters--and particularly New Yorkers--are the leading purveyors of rudeness. And are also the first to take offense at others' relatively benign foibles. Here in the heartland, we just don't get all worked up over soup-blowers.Probably because we're too busy boiling our corn.

Gene Weingarten:

Corn: Like Rachel, I peel back the husks because corn often has worms in it, and I don't want those ears, they're gross! And I'm going to keep doing it, no matter what you say!

Gene Weingarten:

Callahan: Why are we reading about Callahan as an intro to the chat instead of as an obituary in the paper?

Gene Weingarten:

Aptonym Research: New research in Names: A Journal of Onomastics has found that people's names can influence the type of career they take. The studies, carried out by Professor Ernest Abel of Wayne State University in Michigan, found that people with the surname Doctor were more likely to be doctors than lawyers, whereas those with the surname Lawyer were more likely to be lawyers. One study also showed that the first few letters of physicians' surnames were significantly related to their speciality: for example, Raymonds were more likely to be radiologists.

Gene Weingarten:

One piece you didn't include in your book: I've been reading your work for about 7 years and had read most of the pieces, but I enjoyed rereading those as well as reading the ones I had missed. I don't know how I missed the column about your father's final words, but I found it oddly powerful considering it was about someone I didn't know. Any reason it was never discussed in the chat, or did I somehow miss that chat too?Anyway, there was one column I was suprised wasn't there and that's the one about your father voting. It ends with something like "What's your escuse?" Considering the two pieces about your father and the one about the non-vote, I'd have thought it'd have fit right in. Any reason it didn't make it?

Gene Weingarten:

Comics Armageddon: Gene, Sunday's Family Circus was the raciest ever. Mom wore a strapless bikini with visible navel and *very* prominent cleavage. Are these the end times?

Gene Weingarten:

refudiate this: Vis a vis the Palinization of the Ameringlish language, where do you stand on "refudiation"? I think it's a neat word, to be used when confronted with a statement both false and vile that one wants to simultaneously refute and repudiate. Of course, Palin used it incorrectly, since there was nothing about the NYC mosque to refute (or, really, repudiate). This also reminds me of when Fred Durst of the band Limp Bizkit coined the term "agreeance" a few years ago and got vilified by the language police. He meant agreement, but I kind of liked agreeance, it has a certain ring, don't you think? Or would you have refudiated poor Fred?

Gene Weingarten:

Sexist Ads: I thought the spanking one was the worst--the girl-rug was "out there" enough to just be kind of silly--but the spanking one is realistic enough to be disturbing.The rest I found pretty funny, mostly by virtue of being so out of touch. I am a woman under 30 so I don't know what it would be like to have surrounding society take these ads seriously though.But my question is, how did the oven-cleaning wife break 14 fingernails?! Is she talking about a cumulative effect or does she have 7 fingers on each hand?! That would be cool.

Gene Weingarten:

John Callahan: News of John Callahan's death is sad. Loved his book, "Don't Worry. He Won't Get Far on Foot."

Gene Weingarten: He hated them because he heard it as "fish dicks."

corn: stores are now giving into people by placing large garbage cans by the corn.people shuck right in the store.what's worse is that entire families shuck there - clogs the entire area up.I don't get this.

Rachel Manteuffel: My whole family shucks together.

Gene Weingarten:

Dear Rachel: How was your hooker play? I couldn't make it.

Rachel Manteuffel:

Gene Weingarten:

Joshua Bell Redux: I came across this blind item on a gossip website that indicates a famous singer/performer is borrowing from your Pulitzer story to make a documentary. You may have missed an opportunity. Would have preferred it to be you even if you have more of a face for internet. xo

Rachel Manteuffel:

Gene Weingarten:

Side of maggots: A relative of mine was recently murdered in a very brutal fashion, and it was a very strange experience reading the comments on the local paper's article about it. 30 comments complaining that the address of the suspects was listed as "X City", when in fact it was in "X County." "According to the postal codes," someone would rejoinder, "the men in custody lived in 'X City.'" "Preposterous," another would spit; "I live near there myself, it is in fact in 'X County.'" Then someone would jump in: "What is everyone's problem? A young person was brutally murdered." And another would explain that his property value is brought down when a murder is said to happen in X City, this paper should get its facts straight. Someone else would point out that the murder itself was listed as occurring "near" X City, which is just terribly vague and gosh the media has no care for facts and it's shameful that two days have passed and this obvious mistake still has not been fixed, therefore confirming said commenter's continuing disgust for the media. Then someone started an immigration debate. No one involved was an immigrant, or even hispanic, for which "immigrant" seems to be shorthand these days.Anyways, it was disconcerting. Maggots, indeed. In the Post's favor, I thought all of the comments on its article about the murder were relevant and compassionate.

Gene Weingarten: I said it was as if " your sirloin steak came with a side of maggots."

Rachel Manteuffel: Below the Beltway

I'm curious: Hi Gene--Have you ever had sex with a man? Had a three-way? Sex with a prostitute? If not, I'd have to say you seem appallingly incurious to me. Ever run with the bulls? Parachutted from a plane? Bungee-jumped? Base jumped? If not, I'd have to say you seem appallingly incurious to me.

Gene Weingarten: All fine, but if these things overwhelm your curiosity over something THAT omnipresent and interesting... curiosity is not your strong suit.

Squawk!: Any new additions to your household?

Gene Weingarten:

Stop it: We're here for Gene's dyspeptic drivel, not yours, Rachel.

Rachel Manteuffel:

Question/Clarification: Gene,First off, welcome back. Despite the fact that chats are apparently going the way of the dodo here at WaPo.com it's still nice to see you mustachio'd face every month (at least proverbally).I'm wondering what the definition of "Splayed Legs" is. Like most men, I don't sit with my legs together, it ummm... hurts some of my best friends. But I don't think my legs are overly wide. Is there an acceptable width of legs that I should conform to? I try not to be obnoxious, so I could use the help.

Gene Weingarten:

DC: Hi! Could your poll next week be about whether we want our questions answered by you or your producer?

Rachel Manteuffel: IF he gets a poll.

Callahan: I believe John Callahan also drew the cover for a John Prine live album.

Gene Weingarten:

Midwest Philistines: I come from the area that grows the best tasting sweet corn. However, the grocery stores ALL have bins placed next to the sweet corn so that people can peel the husks right there and place freshly de-forested corn cobs in their plastic baggies to take home.However, anyone who REALLY appreciates corn around here buys it off the back of a pick-up from a farmer who grew it him/herself. Then takes it home and prepares it in the proper way.Best corn I've ever had is at a booth at the Minnesota State Fair. Corn is freshly grilled in the husk. When you hand over your ticket, an attendant grabs a freshly grilled cob, peels back the husk back to fashion a handle, dunks the full cob into a vat of fresh drawn butter (if you want) and hands it to you to season as you like with salt and pepper provided on the counter....

Gene Weingarten:

Paternal instin, CT: Hi Gene,Since you've been writing movingly about fatherhood lately, I thought I'd ask; did you want to have kids, or were they primarily your wife's idea? I'm a 30-year-old woman married to a man I love dearly. I had thought we were on the same page about children, but as it turns out I've never thought I WOULDN'T have kids, while he says he thinks he could be equally happy with or without them. My father-in-law says that most men only feel paternal instincts when they're actually presented with their offspring. To me, this seems like an awfully risky gamble, not to mention profoundly unfair to the kid. "Well, your father wasn't sure he wanted you, but we decided to see if he'd like you when you were born." What do you think?

Gene Weingarten:

Sic: A question for you about journalistic practice. Do you think that a journalist sometimes overuses the normally-very-valuable "sic", in such a way as to be downright snotty? I was struck, when reading the article about residents of the Gulf Coast expressing their feelings through handpainted signs, just how often the author felt necessary to point out the artists' bad spelling and grammar. When you've got it within quotation marks, and set up within the article such that there's really no doubt what we're reading, and you STILL have to [sic] every misplaced apostrophe... snotty, right?

Gene Weingarten: (sign: "Animal Control is Comming.")

Lazy journalism: Gene, you sound like you disagree with lazy journalism. This is lazy chatting - you can't keep agreeing or disagreeing with Rachel - get your view out there. Be a man!

Rachel Manteuffel: If Gene ever finds out I'm not testing these questions for freshness...

Gene Weingarten:

L'enfant Terrible: Sunday's B&C was really good.

Gene Weingarten:

You're a Food Snob, not that there's anything wrong with that: But remember this is America. Here in the Richmond area the grocery stores put out big trash barrels for people to shuck their corn in, so some do it. I suspect if you look in their grocery carts, they'll be the people with Wonderbread, plastic "American" cheese, margarine, hydroponic tomatoes, and twinkies. They are happy. Leave them to boil their shucked corn in salted water for inordinate amounts of time. You like it your way, they like it theirs.

Gene Weingarten:

Head, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes): the tips of one's toes and the plane formed with one's knees should not exceed the width one's shoulders.(if you have other parts exceeding the width of your shoulders, use the aisle seat)

Gene Weingarten:

pulling corn back: Hypothetical (I don't pull corn back because we usually get it from the CSA and are stuck with what we've got). If shoppers pull corn back, and leave it there, doesn't that stand to reason that it's bad and you didn't want it anyways? If it was good, they would take it, shuck the rest, and boil it. I guess unless their standards are higher than yours, but as corn-boilers, are they?

Gene Weingarten:

Stafford, VA: Pleeeeeeeease, less Rachel Manteuffel, more Gene. Please.

Rachel Manteuffel: Are you interested in purchasing advertising in The Washington Post?

Becky Madeira, communications vice president of Hostess Brands: Did you write the script for her?

Rachel Manteuffel: Maderia in Gene's column

Gene Weingarten:

No-hitters: Remember, there were 10 no-hitters per year in the early '90s. Perhaps 10 per year, in this modern era of low pitch counts and all, is a "normal" pace when there are no hitters on steroids messing things up. And this is one of the first years since then where we had "true" results.

Gene Weingarten:

Fastest Chat in the East?: Gene - how is it that you can crank out about one question & response per minute when other chatters, (sports, traffic, cars, doesn't matter) can only handle about one every 3-4 minutes? It can't be just because of Chatwoman because you've held that pace whilst Rachel is filling in. What's your secret?

Gene Weingarten:

cell phones: Gene, I've been a cashier. Its not that rude to talk on your cell phone. Explain to me why it is ruder than standing in awkward silence or talking to a companion. As long as you interrupt your conversation long enough to do the basic courtesies, its not a problem.

Gene Weingarten:

Misogynistic ads: If your lady doesn't use the right brand of bitters in your Manhattan, just stuff her in the fridge. That oughta get your point across! From the New Yorker in 1950.

Gene Weingarten:

Syllogo, ID: My favorite made-up word is syllogoid, as in, something that has the form, but not the logical force of, a syllogism. Justice Scalia coined the term in a dissenting opinion, and had this to say about whether he had, in fact, coined the term: ''There are only three possible responses to your note,'' Justice Scalia responds to my written query, ''none of which is satisfactory. The first displays illiteracy ('You mean syllogoid is not a word?'), the second confesses incompetence (since a coinage that has to be explained is a failure) and the third risks giving offense. I pick the last, and shall not respond at all, which I hereby do. Best regards.'' (http://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/14/magazine/on-language-out-there-in-radioland.html)

Gene Weingarten:

OUCIP: I thought the Mini automatic one was funniest and least obectionable. I've seen so many men freeze up when having to deal with a clutch that to me, the fact that the photo of the terrified driver is a woman is just a happenstance. Maybe that one's more sexist in England?

Gene Weingarten:

Grilling corn: Can you advise how to do this? Some recipes call for soaking the corn beforehand. Some call for removing the top layers of husk. Others call for peeling all the husks down, removing the silk, basting in butter, and then tying the husks back on. What say you, oh cooker of the husks?

Gene Weingarten:

Corporate Inaptonyms?: Is there such a thing as a corporate inaptonym? If so, I submit to you a business near the new Harris Teeter grocery in Fairfax. I got a good laugh the first time I saw a place called Appalachian Dental. Surely someone must have seen the folly of that name!?

Gene Weingarten:

Insipid...er...Inception: It sounds like you'll have something to say about Inception, but I want to throw in my two cents. I didn't like the film for many reasons, but I was annoyed to distraction by the score. The surging tri-tones (at least I think that's what was happening) are about standard in movies around the 70-minute mark to really ramp up the stress. Inception started this at about minute two and kept it up for hours. It was irritating and it threw off the pacing. Was it to cloak the boring story? As a side note, after the movie I was so frustrated I cried in a restaurant and had to go home. It wasn't my best day. Love you!

Gene Weingarten: There is a central cynicism at work: I can see the screenwriters thinking, "okay, how do we get car chases in here? "

re: men and kids: Gene, I get your point, but isn't there also a valid point to be made that for women who are pregnant (as opposed to adopting a kid) they feel it more in a visceral way for 9+ months? I think my husband was on board from the beginning but when my daughter was born he fell in love in a way that I think surprised both of us.

Gene Weingarten:

Back where?: Seeing all those "wonderful" ads from the recent past reminds me of how chilling it is to hear certain groups YELLING about "taking the country back." I'm never sure if they mean taking it back from people they don't like, or taking it back TO a better time in the past. I think we can see their logic laid out in these ads. If only women and ethnic agitators would go away and we could have the great world of the 50s. Great for well off white men that is.

Gene Weingarten:

Last Drip: Gene, a few years back you had a saying about the last drip always running down your leg. For the life of me, I can't remember or find it, and it's driving me crazy. Can you please help?

Gene Weingarten: There are two that I know of:

poop: I have been a chatter for a while and love all questions, but I am now very interested in poop. I thought I was a normal person but this chat has me quite worried. I poop 3-4 times a day and I am in and out in under 60 seconds. Is this not normal? I go twice in the morning and at least once in the early afternoon.

Gene Weingarten:

use of "fag---t in comedy: Gene, I'd recommend you listen to this interview on Fresh Air of Louis C.K., especially when he discusses his use of the "f-----t" word. It's quite an interesting, and ambiguous, discussion.

Gene Weingarten:

Hates video chats: hi Gene,Not a question, just a comment. Please please don't ever switch to doing this chat via a live video. I can't tell you how disappointing it is that so many chats have moved to that format. It's not just that the reporter or commentator gets through far fewer questions, it's that there's no back and forth in response to the the answers. And in any case, while I can read chats over my lunch hour, sitting at my desk at work, I can't ever watch a video with the sound on. It's so depressing and I miss Post Politics hour more than I can say. Thank God for you and Howard Kurtz and Steven Perlstein and the few who still type to us.

Gene Weingarten:

but if not boiling, then what?: Gene! Enlighten me! Assuming I don't have an outdoor grill, how do I prepare my corn with the husk on?

Gene Weingarten:

Eight: I saw Eight after a plug in a previous chat and really enjoyed it. For those of you who have not heard of the Fringe Festival I strongly encourage you to attend an event. At the very least you will see something different that will give you something to think/talk about. Also, Ms. Manteuffel is excellent. The Fringe Festival is one of the things I love about DC.

Rachel Manteuffel:

So butter goes on after the cooking process: Although I am a bit hesitant to get food advice from someone who hates dark chocolate. But you were right about Sushi.

Gene Weingarten:

More Rachel!: She's hilarious. Until she gets her own chat, it's great to hear from her on yours. Congratulations on your knack for collecting funny friends.

Gene Weingarten:

Calahan: Not to rain on the funeral but I don't think Calahan is all that funny regardless of his condition. His humor seems to be of the same flavor as Andrew 'Dice' Clay. No need to think of anything clever just try and shock people and hope that by being shocked they will laugh. You might not admit it but I would be extremely surprised if you would find him AS funny if he didn't have a compelling backstory.

Gene Weingarten:

Children: "My guess is that if your husband is unenthusiastic about children, getting up at 4 a.m. is not going to make him more enthusiastic. "But that's only a short period of time, right? I mean at some point they will walk and talk and he can bond with the child even if the baby turns him off. Say it!!

Gene Weingarten:

In the fridge: There was a type of German wine that ran a series of ads around the the theme "take a little German with you" and each ad featured a Little Person dressed in traditional German costume. One ad in particular used the phrase "keep a little German in your fridge" and it showed this Little Person crammed into the door of a fridge between the milk and condiments. The idea of storing little people in your fridge like a side of beef always struck me as both tasteless and incredibly funny.

Gene Weingarten:

Rachel Manteuffel: Before or after the same joke was in Hot Shots?

Old Yeller: Of the Callahan cartoons you described, the one that made me actually laugh out loud was the cowboy on the Great Wall. Much of that was the juxtaposition of a familiar insult with a statement of -- mildly cringe-inducing-- fact. By the way, why can't we call Asian people "yellow" anymore? It's no more inaccurate than "black" or "white" and seems semantically equivalent. An Asian friend said his family still refers to their fellow Asians as yellow. It's also a term black people often use for lighter skinned blacks. (For the record, while I'm officially, I think it would be more accurate to call me pink.)

Gene Weingarten: Here is a great unpublished headline, by Richard Harrington, for a review of a kung fu movie:I Am Furious (Yellow)

Inception: "Vastly overrated because it is essentially an adolescent what-is-reality movie, overlaid with middlin' action-drama fare."Huh. I saw a movie about a man unable to deal with the loss of his wife. Very similar to Memento, in the thought that marital love requires shared reality, and what happens when one of the partners is no longer able to participate. Both movies are fairly outlandish in construction, but both had the same theme. My husband and I quite enjoyed discussing it as we cleaned up after our offspring.

Gene Weingarten:

I am also right about the best part of the lobster being the elbows. Then the claws. : Wow. You do have a palate (I am surprised because you don't like dark chocolate). This is what I have been saying for years.

Gene Weingarten:

Are your legs the same length?: If so, any triangle you make with them is going to be isoceles.The phrase you're looking for is "acute angle".

Gene Weingarten:

Post Pay Wall: When did the post start charging for old articles? I wanted to read your article about Alaska and it needed payment. Did you cause this with the release of your book?

Gene Weingarten:

Gene Weingarten: Snowbound

Louis CK: The video is great, but I feel compelled to point out that the guy's description of where the word comes from may not be accurate, though it's widely believed. A faggot or fagot is indeed a bundle of sticks used as kindling, and I'm betting that's why Brits call a cigarette a fag. But the connection between that and the anti-gay slur may be nothing more than folk etymology.

Gene Weingarten:

tomato-chondriac: Gene,My tomatoes are delicious this year. Skin's area little tough, but, you know...Anyway, I have this odd little ulcer in the middle of my tounge, and I'm wondering if it could be from an overdose? I didn't google it because I might puke my guts out if I see pictures of tounge ulcers.Aloha.

Gene Weingarten:

Palate: So which is your favorite beer style? Stout, lager, pils, or something else?

Gene Weingarten:

Cartoon Poll.: John Callahan is a genius. My favourite cartoon of his is of someone pointing to a dog which has a very large pane of glass piercing its torso. The caption: "How much is that window in the doggie?"

Gene Weingarten:

Car Parking: Gene, your feelings on bumper bumping while parallel parking are well known. I have a related issue about which I'd be interested in getting your thoughts. This weekend, I noticed dings on both my drivers side door and my passenger side door. These, I believe, are routine dings coming from the fact that I have to park in a parking garage for work, a garage that has small spaces. As a result of the newly-discovered dings, I was aware of my parking routine this morning. The car next to me was close enough where I had to rest my door against it as I got out, and even as small as I am, I had to apply some pressure to my door to exit the vehicle. I anticipate having to do the same entering it after work. Is this OK? Is this akin to a mild bumper bumping? I don't think I ding their door, but I don't always check.I will be honest in that once in a very great while I get irritated enough by folks parking especially close to me, to the point where I have to crawl in thru the passenger side door. On one such occasion, I crawled to my seat, and opened up my drivers side door hard enough where I hoped to leave a ding, and was pretty sure I had. Bad of me? I will note that in this case it was obvious that the person was a very careless parker -- they were so far over they had actually parked on the line. Just desserts, or am I evil?

Gene Weingarten:

Gene Weingarten:

Gene Weingarten: Update for Aug. 3, 2010

Gene Weingarten:

Gene Weingarten: The Truth about Chelsea Clinton's Wedding, RevealedThe link mentioned in the video.

Gene Weingarten: For MenFor Women

Corn?: Not sure what' wrong with shucking corn. If someone peeled it back and left it, almost always it's because that ear of corn has been eaten by insects and no one would want to buy it. This is basically a service they're providing to everone else.

Gene Weingarten: Do you eat sweet corn?Cramer: My wife....Wolfe: Does she cook it in water?Is yours cooked in beer?

Three items: 1. Another vote for Rachel. She's great, and I don't think Gene is saying any less than he would otherwise -- I think we're just getting more total chatting.2. I think it's too bad the new chat format asks for a "topic" instead of a place name. I liked seeing where commenters were from.3. I agree that roasted corn is far superior to boiled corn. But that does not mean that boiled corn is not worth eating. Boiled corn is often easier/faster, and for those of us without A/C, it heats up the house a lot less than the oven. (And don't tell me that I need to make the time. I'll make the time to roast corn when my kids are as old as yours.)

Gene Weingarten: Pat the perfect informs me that she roasts corn in the microwave, in the husk, two minutes per ear, and that it's great.

NY Pizza: I knew I should have consulted you first. In NYC last weekend - went to highest rated (by Zagat) pizza joint - Grimaldis - right at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side. Good stuff, but still felt like it was not REAL NY pizza. Where should I have gone, Gene? Also - any coutnerparts that come close in DC?

Rachel Manteuffel: He would've said Grimaldi's.

Gene Weingarten:

Barney and Clyde: Gene,I have been faithfully reading your comic strip from day 1. Why is it that suddenly I feel like I need glasses to read it online? It looks dull, blurry. I'm reading it from the WashPost site. Strangely this past Sunday's strip was very clear but most others have almost a haze over them. Besides that, though, I'm loving the strip!

Gene Weingarten:

Barney and Clyde: Gene, I'm sure you've been asked, but I haven't been able to spot it in the live chat or updates: Is Barney and Clyde the only strip that employs upper/lower case text in the speech bubbles? And, not complaining just curious, why did you decide to do that? I find it interesting for no particular reason.

Gene Weingarten:

Gene Weingarten: Good afternoon. Still, I was surprised to find that two years later, in a single, randomly chosen segment, he showed himself also to be a reprehensible race-baiting demagogue. Hence, this chat update, which will focus entirely on this segment.But there will also be a supplementary video link to the update that you'll want to see because it is a historic media milestone. In it, I create a template for the future conduct of interactive online journalism. Bill has his eye on the ball. This is O'Reilly, verbatim, a transcript taken from his own Web site, right after he reports the Gallup poll results:..This is how O'Reilly wraps it up:The USA is the strongest country on Earth because of self-reliance and the industry of honest, hard-working people who don't want to be told how to live. Independence and self-reliance is what has made this country great, powerful and generous.-- O'Reilly Detractors 1. WHAT OTHER EXPLANATION CAN THERE POSSIBLY BE? -- you know, pro-choice, civil liberties, separation of church and state, gun control, no torture, etc. You can even oppose Obama's social programs and still, as a Democrat, on the whole, support the guy. O'Reilly takes a completely predictable breakdown of the black-white vote and attributes it, without any supporting documents and in contravention of all supporting evidence, to the fact that black people want white people's money. Eleven squadrillion four hundred bajillion eighteen tweetillion and six. I also think he has utter contempt for the intelligence of his viewers.

Callahan!: Thanks for the poll on the world's foremost quadriplegic cartoonist, Gene! I've been a Callahan fan for many years. One of my favorite cartoons of his shows the torso of a man wearing dark glasses, holding out a cup full of pencils, and wearing a sign that says "Please help, I am blind and only partially drawn." He also has some wonderful collections, one of the best of which is the autobiographical "I Think I Was an Alcoholic." The key to Callahan's work, for me, is that it is BOTH funny and offensive. He doesn't believe in taboo topics, as far as I can tell. Can you think of anyone else who can pull off a one-panel cartoon with the punchline of "Look at the ass on that bitch!"? Callhan does. I had no idea he'd died this weekend until I started Googling his stuff after taking the poll. It's the world's loss, whether the world knows it or not.

Gene Weingarten: His sign says "Blind and black with no musical ability."

Gene Weingarten: Gene will update every Tuesday. His next chat is Aug. 24.Send in questions now.

Inception: I'm not a sci fi person and Inception sounded daunting, but a friend persuaded me to go. I was able to follow it OK and thought it was clever and well done, tho' the climactic battle sequence could have been edited down by 10-15 minutes as people were getting pretty tired by that point.

Gene Weingarten:

Two headlines I wrote: I once worked as copy editor/headline writer for a weekly trade newspaper. One headline involved an industry executive being promoted. The headline: Jones Gets Head Job.The other was on a letter to the editor. The writer disputed an article that said XYZ corp. was a subsidiary of a Netherlands conglomerate. The headline: No Dutch Masters

Gene Weingarten:

NW, DC: Hey Gene, Can you help me understand why I hate that AT&T ad that goes in reverse--you know the one that begins with the aged parents watching their son become president? I can't put my finger on it but it really bothers me and everyone I live with. Thanks.

Gene Weingarten:

How great you are: You have become so full of yourself that I am getting to the point where I almost don't like you. Please try to knock down the self praise a little.

Gene Weingarten:

Rearrangements: Gene,Did you realize Chatological Humor is an anagram for both Comical Torah Ghoul and Coach Gorilla Mouth?

Gene Weingarten:

Gene the bigot: So yuo spent much of last month's chat railing against those who lump specific categories of people into groups (gays, racial minorities, etc.) and then noted how disturbed you would be if your daughter married a conservative Republican . . . and echo of the old "I don't have anything against black people but I sure wouldn;' want my daughter to marry one." Face it Gene, you are as bigoted as a klansman.

Gene Weingarten:

Des Moines, IA: Please talk about Inception! Especially the ending, which I felt was a complete copout. They took a meaningful moment in DiCaprio's character's life, when he was finally able to let go of his wife, and made the audience question as to whether that actually happened. Completely ruined the movie for me.

Gene Weingarten: He refused a cliched, wrap-everything-up-comfortably end.

Nairobbery: Hi -- I need advice from a pet lover and thought of you. My husband and I are expats living in Nairobi. There's a constitutional referendum here next week, and there have been some violent demonstrations leading up to the vote. In light of the post-election violence experienced here a few years ago, my husband's company is flying all expats to Johannesburg for the week to be safe, which is great but for one thing: one of my cats is critically ill. I can't feature leaving her in a caretaker's hands if she's near death. And if we have to put her down this week, I'm concerned about how the remaining cat will take not only losing her sister but also then being (in her eyes) abandoned by her people shortly thereafter. So I've made up my mind to stay here; my husband thinks this is idiotic at best and possibly suicidal at worst. So what would you do? Go to the relative safety of Johannesburg or brave the potential for mass violence erupting and stay home to be with the cat(s)? Thanks in advance.

Gene Weingarten:

Callahan's comics: The only Callahan comic of those you described that I found funny was the "I had a dream" one. How is that so much more outrageously tasteless as compared to his "jokes" about killing puppies, beheading people with ceiling fans, or yelling out "yer all yella!" at Chinese people? Seems of a type, to me.

Gene Weingarten:

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company