Got Plans?

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
The Going Out Gurus
Thursday, July 22, 2010; 1:00 PM

Justin Rude: If you haven't seen the news yet, Restaurant Week summer dates have been announced. So start planning your dining schedule for the week of August 16-22 now. Of course more details to come when we get them. In the meantime, lets get chatting.

What's the deal with Kushi? : Is it fancy? Trendy? Or just new? By the look of their website you'd never guess what kind of place it is, but I had to make a reservation more than a week in advance. What can I expect there?

Justin Rude: Its trendy, not fancy. Expect a mix of good authentic Japanese food and some creative original items. I suggest sitting at the grill bar rather than the sushi bar. You can find good sushi elsewhere, good kushiyaki skewers are harder to track down.

Best hotel bar in the city?: Round Robin, W Hotel, The Jefferson bar? I"m looking for low lights, old fashions and something romantic?

Fritz Hahn: For romance, I'd take Quill, the chic bar at the Jefferson, over the loud (and sometimes chaotic) Round Robin, especially if you're there on a Thursday or Friday evening when a piano player is tinkling away.I was on a double date at the W last week, and the interior bar is much more romantic than the ever-popular deck -- low lights, terrific views of the Monument, interesting twists on classic cocktails. The only problem is that seating can be such a pain, and that's if you make it past the hordes trying to get up to the roof in the first place.

Screen on the Green parking: Hello! Submitting way early because my question is relevant today (Monday) and I don't want to forget to ask. With the new parking restrictions downtown -- so many meters requiring payment until 10 p.m., and only allowing 2 hours of parking at a time -- is there anywhere vaguely nearby to park for Screen on the Green anymore? Used to be, you could park on Independence or Maryland starting at 6:30 for free, with no time limit. Obviously 2 hours isn't long enough for the movie (and the meters say re-feeding to extend the time is illegal). I know Metro is supposed to be The Thing To Do, but my husband is coming straight from work near Baltimore and then we're heading home after to Alexandria, so that won't work for him. Any inside suggestions? I've walked around the area and haven't found anything yet.

Lavanya Ramanathan: It's a little bit of a hike to the screen, but sounds like it's worth it for you. For everyone else, yes, Metro is the Thing to Do.

Washington, DC : Am trying to decide between the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum or the downtown location. Can't do both in the time we have. Any suggestions on which would be more interesting for a 10 year old boy?

Justin Rude: Downtown has some aircraft and space exploration equipment with a couple interesting exhibits and interactive displays. Udvar-Hazy has mammoth hangers full of real-life planes. If the draw is standing and staring in awe at the huge aircraft I would head out to Chantilly.

Gate Opening Time for DMB @ Nats Park: Anyone have the gate opening time for the Dave Matthews Concert on Friday?

David Malitz: Here's what we know. Stadium parking lots will open at 4 p.m. (Official word is no tailgating in stadium lots.) If you want to be guaranteed a space, you might want to consider purchasing parking online. There will be other cash lots around the stadium, though. Gates will open at 6 p.m. Opening act (Zac Brown Band) should go on sometime close to 7 p.m. No exact time for DMB to hit the stage - I would expect around 8:30, but you'll probably want to be in your seat by 8:15 just to be safe.

L'Enfant Plaza, DC: Hello gurus. Are there any good happy hours right near L'Enfant Plaza - the closer to the metro station, the better. I will be in a class there next week and I'm trying to find a spot for my group. Thank you!

Fritz Hahn: (On the other hand, I love that the lobby's Empress Lounge has live jazz on Fridays and Saturdays.)When I took a language class at the USDA, we just walked to the Museumof the American Indian's cafe, which is pretty ideal for large groups.Any other suggestions from L'Enfant-based chatters?

Bar with Private Room: I'm looking to throw a going away party for some friends and would love to find a bar in DC, Chevy Chase or Bethesda that has a private room or area big enough to hold 50-60 people. Not sure if it matters, but the age group is 30s and 40s.

Fritz Hahn: Clyde's of Chevy Chase sounds like the perfect answer, given the ages/size of your group. I'd give them a call, as it's right in the middle of what you're looking for.

Saturday Shopping Trip?: Gurus -- a friend is visiting from out of town this weekend. Last time she was here, we did some shopping in Georgetown, and she wants to do something similar -- just popping into little shops here and there. I live in Arlington, so looking for Virginia or DC -- any suggestions? I was thinking 14th Street, so shop suggestions there would be good, or if you have another idea, I'm all for it!

Stephanie Merry: I'm a little biased since it's close to where I live, but I vote for 14th and U Streets. For clothes, you could pop into any number of places including Redeem, Nana, Shoefly and Rue 14, plus a great little vintage shop (I'm blanking on the name!) on 14th by Saint-Ex. I also love sifting through the treasures at home stores like Miss Pixie's and Millennium Decorative Arts, and Lavanya was just talking about how much she enjoys the scene at Ruff & Ready. If you're in the neighborhood anyway, I also recommend grabbing a coffee and crepe at Point Chaud, my new favorite early morning/late night spot.

1789 (is it worth it?): I've heard a LOT about 1789 and was thinking of going there with my husband for my birthday (which falls during restaurant week). Is it worth a visit for a special occasion or is there another spot you'd recommend for a nice, romantic dinner?

Justin Rude: Its absolutely worth a special occasion visit. Its old school restaurant elegant. And it has a quiet dining room, something increasingly harder to find these days. And technically their dress code has relaxed from "jackets required" to "jackets requested," but I suggest conforming to tradition and dressing the part.

Restaurants: I took my girlfriend to Go Ape last week and we had a blast. I'm now thinking about planning a group outing there soon, but am not familiar with the area. Do you know of any good casual places for drinks and dinner? We're planning on going on a Saturday.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Bobby's got some love from Tom S. a couple of years ago.

Fiance Birthday: My fiance's birthday will be coming up next month and I wanted to do something out on the water. I was wondering if there are sailing options out there where you don't actually have to know how to sail but just get to enjoy the ride and perhaps sip some champagne. Bonus if they sail out of Alexandria!

Amy Orndorff: How about sailing in a skipjack? I am going to check it out for an upcoming story, but I am already in love with the idea. Plus, there are fireworks at the 7 p.m. cruises!They sail out of National Harbor, not Alexandria, so no bonus for me, but it is close!

Best Bet's Restaurant Week: Recommended best bet's (most bang for your buck, quality dining) for restaurant week?

Justin Rude: I listed my picks in my blog post on RW. Though I may add some as I start getting in more of the menus.

Date Night: Hi gurus. My husband and I have a date night tomorrow night, and we're trying to figure out what to do. We'll probably eat at Rasika, but I need a suggestion for an activity. Can be anywhere in DC or in Arlington/Alexandria. I'd rather not do the Hirshorn after Hours.Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Do you have reservations at Rasika already? Just walking in on a Friday night can be tough. (Trust me -- I know first-hand.) It's free, and it's certainly not your usual date-night destination.

Lavanya Ramanathan: I just swung by Fort Fringe the other day, and it was a scene! So many people drinking, it looked like happy hour. There is a pretty great beer selection there, too. Afterward, head around the corner to the Passenger and it's a pretty full date night.

1789- summer offer independent of restaurant week: If you want to try 1789 but don't want to be forced to dine at 9:30PM due to the few tables left during restaurant week- they have a coupon on their website valid thru 9/15 for 3 courses for $35.

Justin Rude: love chatter tips

Dancing: A group of my female friends want to go dancing in DC but they don't want to go to a dance club? Any suggestions?

Fritz Hahn: Sorry, can you be a little more clear? Do they want to go dancing to a band? A particular kind of music? Are they looking for a bar that has a tiny dance floor in the corner?

Washington, D.C.: Hi GOGs,My little sister is visiting in a couple of weeks. She's been here many times before, but this is her first time being of legal age. I want to show her a good time (and hopefully convince her to move here after she graduates next spring). So of the following choices, which would you pick? And is there any great bar, restaurant, activity that we shouldn't miss?Etete followed by U Street bars or Ethopic followed by H street barsRasika or KushiGibson or The Passenger/Columbia RoomGood brunch place on the red line?

Fritz Hahn: This totally depends on your sister.If she's an adventurous eater, then go Ethiopian. Choose H Street or U Street based on her levels of trendiness and whether you'd rather hang out and catch up or go dancing. (I'd go H Street for the scenes at Sticky Rice or Little Miss Whiskey's, U Street for U Street Music Hall or Patty Boom Boom, maybe Marvin's deck just for kicks, or Dodge City if you want to get a table and chat.)If she wants to do something a little more sophisticated and she'd rather have a good cocktails than a vodka-soda, I'd say Kushi, then the Passenger, then a cab to wind up the night at the Gibson, especially if it's a nice night and you want to wind up on the patio.For brunch, I'm a fan of Scion (in Dupont) or Kramerbooks, which, by virtue of being in a bookstore with a bar, has that cool urban vibe that should make an impression on a younger sib.

restaurants near Jazz in the Scultpure garden: I'm meeting a groups for Jazz in the Sculpture garden and was hoping to go out to dinner/drinks somewhere afterwards. Any suggestions?

Justin Rude: They aren't exactly cheap eats, but I think the bar at Source or 701 are great options for both.

What to do this weekend...: Family is coming to visit -- parents are pretty conservative. Any ideas for fun activities on Saturday day and night and Sunday during the day? THANK YOU GOG!

Stephanie Merry: How about Chlamydia dell'Arte: A Sex-Ed Burlesque? Kidding. In fact, you guys may want to steer clear of Fringe altogether. On Saturday, I'd suggest checking out the Corcoran's Free Summer Saturdays followed by the London Assurance telecast at Harman Hall. That night, you guys could grab dinner in Shirlington before heading to one of Signature Theatre's cabarets. Sunday, I'd say brunch followed by a tour of the National Gallery -- that's usually a parent-pleaser.

Shopping in Arlington: Why not start at Courthouse and work your way up? My coworker and I took a half-day a couple Fridays ago and had so much fun shopping. Start with Current Boutique and keep walking uphill. You'll hit Shoefly, CD cellar, grab gelatto, check out the lingerie shop, cross the street to South Moon Under and then walk up the other side to LuluLemon. Get a pedicure at the salon above Crate and Barrel then keep heading towards Clarendon. There are cute little shops tucked inbetween the restaurant explosion. Finish off with late lunch at Liberty with their happy hour wine and beer specials.

Stephanie Merry: Another itinerary for the shoppers...

L'enfant happy hour: Walk down to Cantina Marina! It's not that far.

Fritz Hahn: True, but it depends on how much time they have and whether there are mobility issues. (They could also take the Metro down one stop and get there in a fraction of the time.)

Tips for the over 30 booty shakers out there?: Hi Gurus...Some old friends are in from out of town and I am planning a ladies night out in DC, we are all in our early 30s. We want to start with drinks/food somewhere and end up dancing, and would love the venues to be a walkable distance from each other, and preferably a bar where we can hear each other without shouting... We like the music at Chief Ike's but feeling a bit old/been there done that about Adam's Morgan! Do you guys have any good ideas/suggestions on where to go? Thanks for your help!!

Lavanya Ramanathan: Fritz also wrote about this Saturday's 80s party at Funxion. It actually sounds like it could be great.

Mad Men Season 4 Premier: Do you know of any bars will be airing the season premier of Mad Men, and that plan on airing all episodes for season 4?

Fritz Hahn: The only "Mad Men" themed-party info that has reached my inbox is at Toyland, the neighborhood bar at 5th and H NE.I'm open to hearing about other gatherings, though.

Dancing: Hello! I want to go dancing with my friend tonight. Thinking like Top 40s or 80s music. Something with a relatively big dance floor - at least enough room to dance - and a DJ. Suggestions?

Fritz Hahn: You've got the '80s party at Chief Ike's and a '90s retro party (the free and ever-popular Peach Pit) at Dahlak; I think the second is more fun, but I could just be tired of hearing the same-old '80s tunes. Dahlak's dance floor is a little smaller but no less active.

DMB at Nats Park: Coming back to town this weekend to see DMB - Nationals Park opened after I left, so I have never been and am embarrassing ignorant about it. I usually have my "secret" alternative routs that save me from crowds of people (like walking to the other metro entrance at RFK, etc.), so any help? Best to take the metro to Navy Yard, any alternatives? I also know that there wasn't much opened down there when the Park first opened - is this still the case? We might just hang out a bar in Chinatown and then head over and pay $$$ for beer there, but would really like some alternatives! The Nats website isn't too helpful Also wanted to see if you had any suggestions for what to do the rest of the week (yes, I promise I will check the GOG guide!) We normally come in for a Skins or Caps game and then leave, so I'm just excited to spend some more quality time in "my" city!

Alex Baldinger: You've got a couple options for alternative routes. Both offer better pre- and post-game entertainment options than the area directly outside the ballpark.Get off the Metro one stop early at Waterfront-SEU. From there you can get into the evening with drinks at Cantina Marina, which seems like the perfect pre-DMB spot to me. (and given the lack of options near the ballpark, you wont be alone). From there, it's about a mile walk to Nats Park. Keep in mind this trick won't do you any good post-show when the trains rolling into Waterfront will already be slammed. or get off at your old favorite, Eastern Market, and check out the strip along Barracks Row: Matchbox, Molly Malone's, Ugly Mug, Ted's Bulletin, etc.

pool party articlec: hey GOGS! i think i remember someone saying that an article about the donovan house or other pool parties in the area would be made available last week...i tried looking for the article, can you post the link...thanks much!

Fritz Hahn: Hey there -- it was the cover of the Weekend Section last Friday. You can read the whole story here.

Cheap tickets?: My buddy wants to go see Mary Poppins at the Kennedy Center and we found $51 tickets through something. I know about discounts for opera tickets and the Shakespeare Theater Company...anything for these shows at the Kennedy Center? I do not have $50 for a musical I don't really want to see.... Any help? We're both under 30.

Stephanie Merry: Unfortunately, the best bargains at the Kennedy Center are for those 25 and under (as part of the Attend program), students and seniors. A lot of performances have cheap tickets, but you really have to get to the box office shortly after they go on sale. I just went onto the Kennedy Center web site, and it looks like there are a few $37 tickets remaining for the evening performance on Sunday, if that's an option. They may be single seats, though it's worth looking into...

H Street corridor: Hi GOGs - Friends and I are planning on visiting the Biergarten Haus on Saturday to quench our thirst amid yet another heat wave...What is the best way to get out there? The whole H street corridor has a lot to offer, but is a little off the map in terms of transportation. The Metro doesn't really hit it, and I believe the Atlas shuttle that used to run has since stopped, right? Is a cab the best call? Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: X2 bus, which goes straight along H from McPherson Square to the Atlas District and on to Minnesota Ave. Metro. I usually take the latter because I don't like to hang out outside the Metro station for half an hour if I miss the bus.

Birthday Dinner: I am looking for a fun restaurant to have a 30th birthday dinner with 10 people. Preferably in the Dupont/U Street/Logan Circle areas - any suggestions?? Thanks!

Justin Rude: Bistro du Coin in Dupont does well with groups and fun. If you want to go a little farther south I also like Acadiana for the same.

Lavanya and Dancing: Isnt Lavanya indian? What makes her the expert on the dance club scene in DC? Is she even from here?

Lavanya Ramanathan: I'm probably better off answering questions about the dance club scene in Mumbai. Chatters, any questions about bhangra or threading? I'm here for you.

Dancing on a Friday Night: Hey GoGs! Going out dancing tomorrow night for the first time in way too long and can't think of where to go! Open to somewhere like Park or Tattoo, or somewhere more like a bar, as long as there's hip hop and pop. We're not so into techno/house. Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Tattoo could be a good bet -- DJ Dirty Hands is now there on Fridays, so that's your dose of hip-hop and '80s and '90s pop. There's an open bar for the first hour, too. Only thing is there's not a ton of room to dance.I also like the Fuzion Fridays at Bar 7, thanks to an open bar from 5:30 to 7, and DJs spinning hip-hop and R&B all night on two levels.

Mad Men: The Arlington Drafthouse is having a Mad Men premiere party.

Fritz Hahn: Ah, indeed they are -- complete with a costume party and free admission. Thanks.

DC: I don't see any information re alcohol on the Skipjack website. Do they sell any? Can you bring your own??

Amy Orndorff: Yes, alcohol is sold (but you can't bring your own) and that includes beer and wine.

Mother-in-law visit!: So, my MIL is coming into town next week. Any activities spring to mind for an adventurous but somewhat health-limited woman in her mid-70s? She'll be here from Tuesday afternoon through Friday morning. Many thanks - we haven't hosted her in over a year and I'd like her visit to be a good one.

Lavanya Ramanathan:

Re: Lavanya & Indian: Are you kidding with that comment! Who's actually from DC anyway?

Justin Rude: (Though I do share your exasperation, that was a ridiculous comment.)

Best day for Museums: Is it better to go to DC on Fridays or Saturdays? We have next Friday off and would like to go to Smithsonian/Madame Tussauds/Hard Rock Cafe. Also, metro or drive? Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: I prefer to go to museums on weekdays, when it's less crowded (and mostly tourists). On Saturdays, people who are working on Fridays bring their kids to the Mall, and it turns into a free-for-all.If you're coming on a Friday, definitely Metro, especially if you're not familiar with D.C.'s byzantine parking restrictions. Parking near the Mall is hard.

Re: Lavanya and Dancing: I seriously hope that poster was being sarcastic. Otherwise, to borrow from Carolyn Hax, Wow. Just. Wow.

Lavanya Ramanathan:

Outing w/Secret Crush: I have a platonic guy friend that I secretly have a crush on. I want to suggest meeting up with this Saturday afternoon to do something inexpensive and fun, but doesn't feel like a date. Unfortunately, the Nationals have an away game. Any suggestions (BTW, he recently moved to DC).?

Stephanie Merry: How very crafty of you. Might I suggest either a Fringe Festival performance (Super Claudio Brothers, perhaps?) or the free variety show? Also, Lavanya wants to know why you don't just ask him out? Does he have a girlfriend? If not, maybe you should just go for it. Not to get all Carolyn Hax on you or anything...

Drinks spot slump: Hey Gurus,I'm in a happy hour/Friday night drinks spot slump. Here are the details thus far - ideally needs to be near the orange and the red line, will be on the later side 7:30pm-ish, and good 30-somethings crowd for some people watching (maybe even a sit at the bar, dare I dream). I feel like I've done every bar in Chinatown to death. Any ideas?

Fritz Hahn: For happy hour, I like the Bottom Line. Not the fanciest or trendiest, but the specials run all night ($1 Miller Lites from 4-7 and $2 from 7-9, then $1 again after midnight, plus $3.50 baskets of wings, and a reliable bunch of 20/30-something office groups.Next door, you've got Cafe Asia, where the sushi-and-sake happy hour runs until 7:30.While they don't have specials per se, I like getting Friday-after-work drinks at Kramerbooks for good beer and people watching, Big Hunt if I want to blend into a crowd, or taking a book to Tabard Inn and snagging a seat at the bar, though the people-watching can be good, too.Bistro D'Oc's wine bar can be hit or miss for people watching, but I love a good glass of French wine.

Jersey Shore: Gurus: You know of any bars that will be hosting viewing parties for the premiere of the 2nd season of Jersey Shore? Yes, I am embarassed to be askig.

Fritz Hahn: Oh, man. No idea. I know that McFadden's had some last time (and was visited by members of the cast) so that might be the place to start.

NoVa happy hours: Hey GoG,Looking for an inexpensive/fun happy hour spot in the McLean, Reston, Herndon area. Any thoughts?

Fritz Hahn: I'm no expert on McLean, sadly. In Herndon, I like Jimmy's Old Town Tavern for the neighborhood vibe and cheap beers, or Carpool for discounted beers while shooting a little pool.Breakers used to have some great food/drink specials to go along with discounted pool, but I have been there in a couple of months.

Binge Happy Hours: Gurus:I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for the legendary 1223 Fri afternoon $20 open bar happy hour. Any suggestions?

Fritz Hahn: Okay, how about his:Bar 7's open bar happy hour from 5:30-7.???Tattoo's open-bar Grey Goose Happy Hour between 9-10.All we need to do is fill in the blanks.

Union Station: Where can I catch an early lunch or late breakfast around Union Station? It's my birthday (soon) and my husband and toddler are taking me out! Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: How about Taqueria Nacional? Breakfast tacos, anyone?

Slump again: Sorry, I should have mentioned I will not be alone - going out with friends. We are just looking for someplace fun to hang out, but not too young and expanding on our usual Chinatown go to (b/c of location). And just a comment - I think this was in a previous chat, but I do take books to bars when I am out by myself. Usually a Saturday or Sunday afternoon though.

Fritz Hahn: Cool. The only things I'd change, then -- Tabard can be tough with more than a person or two on Friday, given the (justified) popularity of the restaurant, so skip that. And Kramerbooks' bar is the same way -- can be a squeeze with more than three. But my other answers stand, and with a couple of friends, I'd put Bistro D'Oc a little higher. (And it's at 10th and F, which is a quick walk from Chinatown.)

Just turned 21,: so me and my girlfriends wanna go out tonight and dance. I like r&b/hip hop and pop (definately no electro) for as little $$$ as possible. Does not need to be metro accessible since i will be driving.

Fritz Hahn: Have you been to Ultrabar yet? DJ Geometrix -- one of the best around for satisfying your hip-hop/top 40/mashup needs -- is on the main level of the four-story club, admission is free, and there's info about a free open bar from 9 to 10 on this week's Facebook invite.That'd be my pick, especially for the thriftyness of it.

Is Fritz from around here?: That German name sounds verrrrry suspicious....

Fritz Hahn: Hey, if you have questions about drinking German beer or watching the German World Cup team, I am your only man.

McLean: Go to The Pub. It's in the same strip mall as the Giant, right in the center of town. It is the biggest dive bar in the world - complete with a disco ball and iffy CD player. The only way I can describe it is it's the Grog and Tankard, without the stage. It shares a kitchen with the Chinese food restaurant next door, making for interesting Happy Hour treats!

Fritz Hahn: You have pricked my interest. This has shot onto my must-do list.

Washington, DC: Do you know of any restaurant near metro center that would be good for going to during my lunch break to sit, read the paper, and have a cappuccino or espresso? Not lunch, just the drink?

Lavanya Ramanathan: It's a little bit away from Metro Center proper, but Chinatown Coffee on H is great for this (yes, people complain that it's expensive. But does no one pay attention to the $5 they spend on frapu-whatevers at Starbucks?) You could also totally try this in the Kogod Courtyard (not sure they have espresso), but it's a lovely outdoorsy indoors space, and it's got wifi.

Union Station again: Ha ha. I've been out to eat around here only once...to Taqueria Nacional! It was great, but I think I should expand a little.

Justin Rude: I wouldn't recommend it for kids during dinner service, but for lunch you might try Johnny's Half Shell.

leaving, on a jet plane...: Hi Gurus! Question for about a "last meal" in DC. If you had unlimited funds and no preference for location (metro or driving is okay), where would you go for a last great meal in this area? I want to go out with a bang.

Stephanie Merry: I love the Bombay Club, so I'd probably go there and get my faves: Bombay thali followed by gulab jamun. That being said, I've never been to Minibar and have wanted to go for ages (and I, ahem, have a birthday coming up...anyone?) so that would be another tempting option.

Fritz Hahn: I'd take either Rasika for Palak Chaat, the crispy spinach dish that is my favorite thing to eat in the entire Metro area or the tasting room at Eve, followed by a trip around the corner for cocktails at PX.

Alex Baldinger: Could do a lot worse than the lobster burger at Central.

Justin Rude: My instinct is the tasting room at Restaurant Eve, but, even though I've never been, but I don't think I could skip town without giving the incredibly intimate dining experience at Thai X-ing a try.

David Malitz: Eh, I'll just grab something at Chesapeake House.

Justin Rude: That does it for this week, chatters. Thanks as always for dropping in. Please try and stay hydrated and out of the sun today.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity