The Reliable Source

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Reliable Source
Wednesday, August 4, 2010; 12:00 PM

Amy Argetsinger: Hello everyone. Sorry for the minor delay. It's just you and me, now. Roxanne? She left. Someone claiming to be her sent me an e-mail from St. Petersburg. Didn't ask for ransom or anything, which was good.

Bristol and Levi No Mo: Well, that timing was just great for your chat! Now every body can write in with the "I always knew it" or "why the heck is this news" comments.

Amy Argetsinger: Exactly. Looking forward to it. Please, everyone -- let's use the excuse of Breakup 2010 to please raise our game and come up with more clever insights. I'm going to try to hold myself to the same standard.

Chelsea Clinton's Wedding: In all the reports about the wedding, I didn't see any reference to a best man and maid (matron) of honor. Who were they?

Amy Argetsinger: The Clintons have been stingy with details like these, so we have to go on the memory of the few guests willing to whisper anything. Chelsea's matron-of-honor was a longtime friend of hers, but I don't know her last name or how to spell the first. I don't know who Marc's best man was -- but two of his brothers gave a toast at the reception, so probably one or more of them? They had about a dozen attendants on each side -- big wedding.

Levi and Bristol: I predict they'll break up and make up several more times and each time demand $100,000 for a photo spread and exclusive interviews.

Amy Argetsinger: The price goes way down from here on out.

Rocci Fisch: Bristol Palin says she and Levi Johnston are over; his lawyer thinks they'll work it out, though

Palinisms: Bristol claims that Levi wanted to be in the spotlight. Has he or his people "refudiated" that assertion?

Amy Argetsinger: Actually, I don't know if you read my story (link to follow), but Levi's lawyer didn't exactly refudiate that part. Rex Butler said that he thinks Bristol wants all the speech-making spotlight to herself, and for Levi to stay at home, but that Levi wants to take advantage of other opportunities while he has them. (Not sure of the legal strategy there.)

"Justin Bieber" and "3-D biopic": Am I the only person who feels these two phrases should never be combined in the same sentence, paragraph or thought?Oscar director in talks for Justin Beiber flick

Amy Argetsinger: "Justin Bieber" and "3D biopic" -- that was just a matter of time. However, "Justin Bieber" and "Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker Davis Guggenheim" are two phrases we're still choking on .

Clinton Wedding: In all honesty, I think you guys, the press, made a bigger deal about the Clinton wedding than most others cared about. Chelsea Clinton got married. Big deal. Who is she as an individual? What has she done to better this world? Again, big deal.

Amy Argetsinger: I'm not going to argue that anyone SHOULD care about Chelsea Clinton's wedding. I'm not going to argue that everyone did. However, my story on Monday about her wedding got more pageviews online than anything I've done since the White House gate crashing incident. So there is interest. And I'm fielding calls from people who tell me I've falling down on the job because I haven't reported how much the dress cost or where they are honeymooning.

Clinton pictures: Count me in as one who loves the wedding coverage! Question - in the picture of the happy couple coming down the aisle, you can see Secretary Clinton in the background. She has a woman next to her, and then I think the former president is on the other side of her. The question is...who is that woman?Photo Gallery: Chelsea Clinton weds in New York

Amy Argetsinger: I believe that is her mother, Dorothy Rodham. And for you Chelsea wedding completists, note that this photo allows you a full image, if somewhat blurry, of the skirt of Secretary Clinton's de la Renta gown.

Queen of Soul update: Saw that Aretha Franklin fell and broke some ribs. How old is Her Majesty? How serious is the injury? Can we send a get well card?

Amy Argetsinger: She broke some ribs in a fall at home in Detroit. Had to cancel some NYC shows. Franklin, who is now 68, released this statement:"I was very much looking forward to being in Brooklyn and having a foot-long hot dog at Coney Island. Hopefully, I will get it before the end of August."

Hair Dresser: Why do I get the feeling that Justin Bieber is not going to age well ? I can just see him as some 60-year-old guy still wearing his hair the same way and it's kind of sad.

Amy Argetsinger: I'm worried he's not going to age that well into his 20s.

On again/ Off again: There's an old saying " why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free " and it's obvious Levi wasn't gonna buy the cow.

Amy Argetsinger: Well, Bristol said, in that re-engagement story, that they weren't sleeping together again yet -- that they were going to wait for marriage this time.

St. Petersburg: Florida or Russia?

Amy Argetsinger: Russia. Do you think she was part of that spy swap?

Michelle Rhee: Is Michelle Rhee moving to Sacramento after the wedding?

Amy Argetsinger: Probably has a lot to do with who is mayor of D.C. this fall.

Sheen lost his lustre ?: Charlie Sheen looks incredibly odd and unattractive in that photo. If his Daddy wasn't a star wouldn't this joker just be standing in a breadline somewhere ?

Amy Argetsinger: "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," and everyone was like, wow, who's THAT guy?

Strapless is not for everyone: In fact, strapless wedding gowns are actually flattering on very few people, and it did not work for Chelsea. Too bad most brides want to get what is in "style," and not what flatters their figures. One of the most beautiful celebrity wedding gowns in recent memory: Ivanka Trump's.

Amy Argetsinger: We'll probably hear some more opinions on this.

Chelsea: So, is she going to convert to Judaism? I know Marc's father is Jewish, but I didn't know Marjorie is Jewish also. If she's not, the he's not necessarily Jewish unless he converted or she had him after she converted.

Amy Argetsinger: We don't know if Chelsea plans to convert, but the fact that they had an Methodist celebrant suggests she's not.I think Marjorie Margolies Mezvinsky has always been Jewish.

What Bristol Palin said: Bristol Palin said "He's just obsessed with the limelight and I got played," in a reported teary interview. While I have no interest in him, how is it HE's obsessed with the limelight when it was THEM that did recent People's and Us interviews, with THEM on the cover of Us announcing their re-engagement to the world (possibly being paid to do so), and HER announcing their newest break-up in People? Maybe it's not HIM; maybe it's THEM.

Amy Argetsinger: Fame kills. That's my thinking. Fame damages, and fame kills.

EEEK! Hilary's Green Dress: I missed your chat on Monday, but I'm sure you'll still be discussing the wedding of the century today. What was Hillary thinking on Friday night? She looked like Mrs. Roper reincarnated. I know some thought it was glamorous and daring, but we all know Hillary's a pear with some thighs/hips (like me) and to wrap yourself in a muumuu (WITH HEELS) just didn't do her justice. On the other hand, it was finally nice to see her out of a black pantsuit, so I don't know if I should complain. Oh, by the way, saw you on "The Daily Show" Monday night Amy- John Stewart used a fantastic clip of you!

Amy Argetsinger: Much debate about caftan. I actually kind of liked it -- gorgeous colors. RE: Daily Show -- thanks! Had no idea it was happening, until my cellphone and blackberry went nuts Monday night.

Sarasota, Fla: Amy, The Daily Show did you wrong Monday night. That little tiny snippet of you at the end of their bit on Chelsea's wedding made it seem like you were part of the media frenzy speculating about how many millions did the big weekend cost. You have been the one saying all along that you thought the guestimates being thrown around seemed rather high and that no one really knew. But in yet another case of selective editing, it made you seem like part of the rumor mongering problem. Sorry. I knew. Told my spouse right away what you have been saying for weeks now.

Amy Argetsinger: Hey, thanks so much... I was wondering myself, how DID that come across? Some friends have told me, "Oh, you were the hero of the segment, pointing out that these numbers were bogus," but I'm not sure my role there was clarified.... I have indeed been slapping the wrist of numerous TV anchors who bring me on air and say, "$3 million? What are they thinking?" But all those numbers out there have been estimates by wedding planners with NO inside knowledge of this affair -- and plenty of personal incentive to make you think that big numbers aren't so big. I do wish Jon Stewart had used my line about "propaganda from the wedding-industrial complex."

The Bristol-Levi Break-up: (Palin fiance Levi Johnston to film music video). What fascinates me, from a perspective of watching people is that Us magazine reportedly paid very good money to broadcast their re-engagement. You would have hoped that both of them would have had the decency to allow Us Magazine, if it paid for it's interview, to release the newest break-up news. That said, did I miss something about "The split follows days of tabloid allegations that the most famous 20-year-old babydaddy in America had possibly fathered a child by another young woman -- later denied by a pregnant ex of Johnston's, though Palin told the magazine his acknowledgment he might be the daddy." He had another "ex" besides Ms. Palin?

Amy Argetsinger: Well, just because Bristol is only now confirming the breakup doesn't mean the breakup is only just now happening.... Yes, there had been tabloid reports that another Wasilla-area girl, whom Levi had dated during his earlier split from Bristol, was now pregnant; but he's apparently not the dad there...

Levi and Bristol: Color me surprised. I would have thought that tattooing your girlfriend's name on your ring finger guaranteed a long and successful relationship.

Amy Argetsinger: "Winona Forever" (now "Wino Forever") tattoo fame.

RHWDC: Can you tell me if the "6th Housewife" is the guy who occasionally shows up in commercials on channel 50 promoting fashion shows, etc?

Amy Argetsinger: Yep, same guy -- Paul Wharton.

Salahis : Bravo's RHODC bio for Michaele S states "this northern Virginia native and model is a big part of the inner workings of the D.C. life. She and husband Tareq together founded America's Polo Cup, for which he is the U.S. team captain. Through her involvement in the Polo Cup, which has become one of the largest and most high profile polo events in the U.S...." Seems like her bio is exactly the image she wants to portray to the world when she's really a broke, desperate wannabe. Thoughts?

Amy Argetsinger: Sounds like she wrote that bio.

My invite was lost in the mail...: Strikes me as odd that President Obama wasn't invited to Chelsea's wedding. I know the president joked about it with the ladies on " The View " but makes me wonder if there's still bad blood with Father of the Bride and Obama ?

Amy Argetsinger: Honestly, it makes sense to me. They've had to say no to so many big supporters, and make the point that it's Friends of Chelsea at this one, not Friends of Bill or Friends of Hill. I'm sure there was some backstage discussion about how to play this -- do we courtesy-invite him and then hope he'll say no? (Because having the president at your wedding is a scene-stealer and logistical nightmare). But then would it sound worse to say that he turned down the invitation? Etc.

Hillary in green: I loved the green caftan! It actually was very fitted from waist up, just had flowing sleeves and skirt, which I thought was very flattering. The shoes, though, were the wrong choice. Something strappy would have been much more appropriate.

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks for your vote.

Hilary's caftan: I'm not sure about that caftan. I loved the color and general idea, but I think Hilary is too short for that sort of dress. You need to be tall and willowy to get away with that. Having said that, however, I agree with the previous chatter who said it was nice to see her in something other than a pantsuit. Did Hilary have to travel someplace right after the wedding or does she have a couple of days of down time? I thought Bill looked too thin--he should put those 15 pounds back on--he has a big frame and just looks gaunt when he gets too thin. Let's send him a cheeseburger.

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, he's almost looking gaunt, huh?

In poor taste ?: Is tossing your drink in someone's face still in style or did that go out with penny loafers ?

Amy Argetsinger: Tareq Salahi is trying to bring it back.

Tom Shales and Christiane Amanpour: dog or something? His crusade against her is getting a bit creepy though.

Amy Argetsinger: The fellow certainly has opinions.

Who's that Girl?: My daughter tells me she and her husband saw Ryan Zimmerman eating at the Liberty Tavern with a young woman. Any idea who she is and if it's serious? (BTW I consider him a D.C. celebrity even if your chatters don't!)

Amy Argetsinger: If you do, email me at reliablesource@washpost.com.

Abstinence: When Ms. Palin (the younger) speaks to audiences regarding abstinence (I haven't heard she speaks to local or youth groups for free, only to older audiences for a high fee), does she bring and highlight her child with her as her mother does? And will her message change now that she re-engaged with the baby's father...... and now that she un-re-engaged with the baby's father?And I can assume, based on Mr. Johnston's comments that he isn't getting paid to deliver an abstinence message?

Amy Argetsinger: Good questions. I'd be curious to hear one of her speeches.

Rocci Fisch: Tom Shales reviews Christiane Amanpour's lackluster debut on ABC's 'This Week'

Separate vacations: I'm curious why there isn't more speculation regarding why Michelle O. would choose to vacation in Europe on her husband's birthday. Putting aside the obvious that the Post is in the tank for the Obamas, isn't it a bit odd that she would choose this week for a solo vacation (the presence of one of the kids doesn't count). The "official" visit with the Spanish royals is, of course, merely the usual way to get the taxpayers to foot the bill, but boy, I would think that tags would be waging about the Prez's solo b-day.

Amy Argetsinger: I was sort of surprised that she was vacationing overseas. You usually see the first families sticking to domestic vacations.

DC: I love that you just used "refudiate" in a response non-ironically.

Amy Argetsinger: It's totally catching on.

Levi-Bristol Soundtrack from Beautiful Silver Spring, Md.: This breakup makes me think of so many songs:"Ya Played Yaself" - Jeru the Damaja"Say Something" - Timbaland f/Drake"Spotlight" - Jennifer Hudson"Break Up to Make Up" - The StylisticsThe soundtrack in my head is making this news much more entertaining than it otherwise would be. Does this series of events evoke anything musically for y'all?

Amy Argetsinger: Anyone?

Older than I look: I'm just old enough to remember when the Clintons were considered sort of backwoods hicks and now the wedding of their daughter is such big fashion news with copycats wanting the dress and a chance to try to moonwalk at their own daughter's wedding. Life sure is strange sometimes.

Amy Argetsinger: Isn't it?

David Letterman and Chris Hayes: http://bit.ly/cq55zkDon't know if you watched Rachel Maddow on CBS' "The Late Show" last night, but David Letterman made a few jokes at the expense of The Nation's Chris Hayes, her fill-in host of her show on MSNBC while she was on the vacation.Considering Chris Hayes is getting his book published later this year, if his publicist can't turn those jokes into a booking on "The Late Show" during Chris Hayes' book tour, well somebody needs to get fired.

Amy Argetsinger: I wish I could have stayed up late enough to watch that. I was fascinated by the few minutes I saw of Chris Hayes -- he seemed like Maddow's little brother, or a Maddow impersonator. I'm sure it's completely unconscious, but he's taken on her vocal patterns and body language to an uncanny degree. What did Letterman say?

Michelle Rhee moving?: Another thing to consider is that she had two kids. Her ex-husband decided to move to D.C. when she got the chancellor position to make things easier for everyone, even though they were going through the divorce/had just divorced. He seems like a good guy and I hear they get along well. If she moved to California, that would make visitation complicated so I'd think that's a huge factor for her.

Amy Argetsinger: Good point.

re: on again/off again: Levi's behavior is definitely skeevy. Almost as skeevy as comparing sexually active women to farm animals.

Amy Argetsinger: Ha. Thanks, well said. We need to just banish that buying-the-cow metaphor.

Guest list: Okay, I'll bite: Why was Ted Danson the biggest celebrity at the wedding? I understand Obama not being invited, given the Secret Service nightmare it'd cause. And maybe not Oprah, given that she snubbed Hillary in 2008. But no one from that eight-year lovefest between the Clinton White House and Hollywood got an invite?

Amy Argetsinger: I didn't expect to see very many other Hollywood types there. Spielberg or Streisand, maybe -- I think they're fairly close to the family. Who knows, we don't know exactly who got invited but couldn't make it... (The Oprah rumor, if I haven't said this enough, was ALWAYS completely bogus and nonsensical.)

Charlie Sheen: Uh, Two and a Half Men has been coining money for years (not saying anything about the quality of the show, mind you). Charlie Sheen has been much much more bankable than his dad

Amy Argetsinger: Yep.

Bieber at 60: Check out Bobby Goldsboro for clues.

Amy Argetsinger: Hmmm. I think the best Bieber can hope for is to age like Peter Noone. It's the rare teen idol who comes out looking okay at 30.

crackerjack lawyer: I can't believe Levi's lawyer actually cited Bridezilla. Would you hire a lawyer who watched that show, let alone knew it existed and had time to view it?

Amy Argetsinger: Curious legal strategy, I say.

Cows and Milk: Can't we drop the whole "cow, milk, free" phrasing when referring to unmarried, non-abstaining women? It is sexist and trite and, in this case, isn't even especially relevant as Levi in the short term at least probably had more to gain from the marriage than not.

Amy Argetsinger: Yep.

Amy on the Daily Show: I understand that the Daily Show is planning a whole special segment on "propaganda from the wedding-industrial complex"....

Amy Argetsinger: Well, they sure as hell better credit me.

Justin Bieber: If he still has his hair when he is sixty he will be doing so much better than the rest of us that he won't care about how it is styled

Amy Argetsinger: Ha. But wouldn't it be hilarious to see a 60-year-old with the forward side bangs?

Rocci Fisch: Photo: Peter Noone (Google Images)

Dupont Circle: Wait! Did I miss something? Is Michelle Rhee engaged to her California beau? When did this happen?

Amy Argetsinger: MONTHS ago. I think we reported it in November. Link to follow. They're getting married in Sacramento Labor Day weekend.

Too bad most brides want to get what is in "style," and not what flatters their figures. : Oh get out of here. You posted as much in the fashion chat earlier this week. As far as I know strapless has been around a very long time. It wasn't invented just recently. I thought Chelsea looked beautiful. I think you could argue she's a tad thin for the dress, and the skirt is a bit too full. But still, she looked great.

Amy Argetsinger: I love it when fights overflow from one chat to another.

Rocci Fisch: Michelle Rhee and Kevin Johnson get engaged

Johnny Depp and Winona: Good gosh - I forgot about that couple. She shouldn't have let that sexy pup go -she should have gotten knocked up.

Amy Argetsinger: I'm going to put this out there and let another chatter take offense.

Social Butterfly: You know I'm kind of embarrassed to write this but I'm looking forward to the RHDC. Clear my social calendar for Thursday because I'm hooked already !

Amy Argetsinger: I'm so sorry we won't be hear to compare notes next week! My vacation begins at the end of the week -- column is gone for the next two weeks, and so are the chats.

A Jeopardy Q&A: Who is Tom Shales?The only thing that Christine Amanpour and Kathy Lee Gifford agree on: they both can't stand him because he mocks them!

Amy Argetsinger: Longtime TV critic for the Post, now a columnist. Won a Pulitzer in 1988.

Why so much snark about Christiane Amanpour taking over This Week on ABC?: What's the word about all the upset fuddy duddies in D.C. (where it's like high school for rich and powerful people, like Hollywood, like NYC ... like everywhere of course but it affects the rest of us more.) I love Tom Shales, his columns and his chats, but I thought his review sounded a bit like my elderly father who complains about 'the old days' when only certain privileged white men got to boss everyone else around while the rest of us had to stay silent and endure their authoritarianism ... which of course erupted into the 60s and gave way to the civil rights movements and other struggles for equal rights, etc. I didn't think it was great or horrible, just an introduction with some new faces which I liked! Thank the cosmos it didn't degenerate into another Meet the Press!

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks for your thoughts. Tom Shales is entitled to his opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I almost never watch any of the Sunday a.m. shows, so I don't have one.

David Letterman and Chris Hayes: Here is David Letterman interivew with There is also a part at the very end where he talks about Chris Hayes and the interviews ends with a picture of Chris Hayes as they go to commercials.

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks, I'll check this out later.

And an older Peter Noone: A Peter Noone Web site.

Amy Argetsinger: 'Enery the Eighth, I am, I am!

Ryan Zimmerman: Has long been considered a celebrity by this chat! However, he is very low profile so we don't get to talk about him much. Too bad, that.

Amy Argetsinger: Part of the problem is that the baseball players aren't out on the town much -- half of the year, they're not here, and when they are here, they're working every night. Also: No one recognizes them.

Jeopardy Question: Then I'd say that's a vote for Tom Shales. He is entitled to his opinion-which he is paid to offer and which people read-but you don't have to agree with him.

Amy Argetsinger: Exactly. You are also entitled to write letters and blog posts saying how you think he's wrong.

Aging Bieber: two words: Davy Jones. 'nuff said.

Amy Argetsinger: We're looking at the future right there, aren't we?

Chelsea's white wedding reception dress?: Will the Clintons be releasing photos of Chelsea in her white wedding reception dress?Any word yet re the newlyweds' honeymoon destination?

Amy Argetsinger: Nope, they've said they will NOT release any more photos. Five photos, the ones you see everywhere -- that's all we're getting. And duh, of course, they're not going to tell us where they're honeymooning. We'll have to rely on some other honeymooning couple to stumble across them in Rome/Costa Rica/Branson, and drop us an e-mail with their cellphone pics. Reliablesource@washpost.com.

Mayor of Sacremento: To be clear, Michelle Rhee's groom isn't just a guy living in Sacramento, but the incumbent mayor of Sacremento. Pretty hard for the mayor of Sacramento to move to Washington during his term.

Amy Argetsinger: They've been doing a commuter relationship all this time; and she's said that's not going to change with the wedding.

I can just see [Justin Bieber] as some 60-year-old guy still wearing his hair the same way and it's kind of sad: Oh, I dunno. It seems to work for Sir Paul McCartney.

Amy Argetsinger: Does it?

Jimmy Kimmel: Words of wisdom: "Less than a month after announcing their engagement, Bristol called it off faster than you can say, 'Mom, put your gun down.'"

Amy Argetsinger: Ha.

There's no there there...: When will the Palins ever follow through with a promise? Bristol and Levi get engaged twice but break it off twice, Levi models in the nude, but isn't nude, and Sarah finds it easier not to serve a full term.

Amy Argetsinger: Ha.

When Ms. Palin (the younger) speaks to audiences regarding abstinence (I haven't heard she speaks to local or youth groups for free, only to older audiences for a high fee), does she bring and highlight her child with her: How would this work, though? Should she hold up the child and say "look at the trouble I got stuck with." How is this kid going to feel knowing it's the reason for her abstinence speeches?

Amy Argetsinger: Good point.

Salahis: Was I the only one disappointed that we didnt hear of the Salah's trying to crash Chelsea's wedding?

Amy Argetsinger: Actually, there were some wannabe crashers who tried to get on the bus to Astor Courts with the guests, but they were rebuffed. The Salahis have an alibi: They were in L.A. promoting the show at the Television Critics Association tour.

Daily Show: I saw you on the Daily Show Monday night. Don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to change your chat photo--you're totally hotter on TV!

Amy Argetsinger: Ha. Yes, I've been meaning to change that photo to something hotter. It was kind of a rush-job -- I remember trimming my bangs with my Swiss Army Knife midway through the shoot -- and two years later, we're stuck with that photo.

Love to hear about weddings: I don't care whose, or when, or where, so the Chelsea stuff fit right in to my personal inclinations. Why do people think there are shows on TV called "Say Yes to the Dress" and "My Fair Wedding" and "Bridezillas"? Because there a lot of people like me who love wedding drama and comedy!

Amy Argetsinger: Exactly. And have you noticed? Every Sunday we have a full page and a half of wedding stories and ads. (The New York Times, meanwhile, has four to six pages.)

Amy & Reality TV: Amy, I read your entire piece on reality TV creating news when it isn't news, and I have to point out that you confused "reality" TV with "nonfiction" programming. Even the Emmys differentiate and put shows like "Deadliest Catch" in the nonfiction category. I think you were off-base with critiques on "Catch," though. Everyone knew Phil Harris had died in February. His son had put information on the show's Web site (the other was in rehab), and those who watched the show knew what was coming. The fact that Phil insisted the cameras keep going during the hospitalization that led to his death was his choice. You are also confusing the "After the Catch" show with the main series -- this is a discussion among participants long after the filming of the series is complete.

Amy Argetsinger: private lives are also public.

NY Times Wedding pages: This is different. These are to feed the egos of the fringe of high society wannabes who pay and beg to get onto that page. It's not because of a demand for people to see them. However, it is fun to look at to make fun of the people. I honestly think that's the reason they are popular more than anything else.

Amy Argetsinger: The NY Times wedding announcements -- like those in the Post's On Love column, written by Ellen McCarthy -- are unpaid. And if readers (*some* readers, *many* readers, not you) didn't have an interest in this stuff (and making fun is okay), these papers wouldn't run it.

Rocci Fisch: Reality TV is affecting reality, creating a weird world for gossip writers

Rocci Fisch: Photo: Hillary et al

Amy Argetsinger: Well, I'll be damned. They DID release another photo.

Davy Jones: I don't know. He didn't age so well.The other Davy Jones

Amy Argetsinger: Well played.

Bristol Palin: I just want to say that, given that she was thrown into the spotlight as a pregnant teenager whose years in Alaska as a local offical's daughter did nothing whatsoever to prepare her for the national media's spotlight, she has really handled herself with an unexpected degree of dignity and graciousness. Which is a lot more than I can say about some of the adults who relentlessly mock her.

Amy Argetsinger: I have to say, I feel really bad for her this week. Who knows what goes on inside someone else's relationship, but I assume she has to be in a pretty lonely spot right now. Sudden fame is not kind to anyone, and it's clearly warped the dynamic of this relationship.

Wasn't America Ferrera at Chelsea's wedding?: Wasn't "Ugly Betty" star America Ferrera at Chelsea's wedding? The two of them campaigned together for Hillary for President in 2008 during the primaries, and seemed to bond.

Amy Argetsinger: I don't think so.

Sasha Obama's wedding: I think Sasha or Malia Obama's wedding will be bigger. One is that they are younger when they enter the national spotlight then Chelsea Clinton. Plus, from the few articles about them, the Obama girls seem very outgoing and engaging compared to reserved and withdrawn Chelsea. Also, the Clinton adminstration wasn't exactly the poster child for "Happy Families and Happy Marriages" compared to more lovey-dovey Michelle and Barack. Plus you have to wonder if Hillary had not run for president, would there be so much attention for the wedding of the daughter of ex-president.

Amy Argetsinger: Chelsea at that age. But yes, I agree, Hillary's run for president put Chelsea back in the spotlight in a big way, which stoked the interest in her marriage.

MOTB Dress: Oh Hillary - wish you hadn' t released the photo showing your dress (even though I was interested in seeing what it looked like). Love the color, hate the flowers on the skirt. But to each his/her own; just too juvenile for my taste for someone of her age.

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks for your vote.

White House Wedding 2022: Okay, I want Barack Obama to lose in 2012 so that he can pull a Grover Cleveland and get elected in 2016 so that his daughters will be old enough to get married in the White House.

Amy Argetsinger: Very crafty of you.

Hey, Wait a Minute . . . : I'm a lawyer and I not only know about Bridezilla but will watch it On Demand from time to time. I assure you, I have no trouble getting work, either, though none of it is from clients as classy as Levi or Bristol.

Amy Argetsinger: I'd like to see you and Rex Butler team up at an American Bar Association conference panel on "Bridezillas" and "Say Yes to the Dress."

Chats archived: Reminder to those that missed the live chat on Monday, you can read it and previous ones the archives. That's how I will have to spend Wed while you are on vacation. Have a wonderful time. From Your fan in Denver

Amy Argetsinger: Good idea, thanks!

Which is a lot more than I can say about some of the adults who relentlessly mock her.: If we can't mock someone like this, then I'm done mocking. I do feel a little sorry for her too. But I also want to mock her.

Amy Argetsinger: We live in complicated times.

Re: Bristol Palin: She definitely has handled herself pretty well after being thrown into the media spotlight.I never would have thought she could have made as much money as she has for selling her story all over the place. Good for her. Maybe her next stop will be Dancing with the Stars. Worked for Kate.

Amy Argetsinger: If she goes on Dancing with the Stars, then I am DONE with her. Done. Please don't do it, Bristol.

maybe by the time Sasha or Malia get married, America will have gotten its crazy wedding obsession out of its system: Are you kidding? America went bonkers over Alice Roosevelt's wedding to the much-older Nicholas Longworth!

Amy Argetsinger: You're right. We are doomed to stay on this cycle forever.

RE: Chelsea Wedding: To answer "Guest List"s question re: Danson -- I don't think he and wife Mary Steenbergen (q: sp?) were there in their celebrity role -- aren't they friends going back to the Arkansas days (which is where I think Mary S. is from). They were there as personal friends, not as celebs. I think the better answer is that this was a decidedly un-celebrity/non-WH-related event -- they really wanted to let Chelsea make it about her, not her parents. Which, regardless of what I think of the Clinton's politics, is actually kinda nice.

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, this wasn't like a royal wedding where, you know, the foreign dignitaries show up like emissaries to a state funeral.

Amy Argetsinger: I gotta go. I'll see you in September, okay? Meanwhile, send any sightings of Chelsea, Ryan Zimmerman, or Roxanne to reliablesource@washpost.com. Have a great August!

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile