Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Stacey Capers
Thursday, August 5, 2010; 11:00 AM

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

Stacey Capers: A little technical difficulties but I am getting to your questions! <3

Keeping weight off: We have witnessed lots of people, Oprah for instance, who have lost lots of weight, and then they started gaining some of it back. I am glad Drew Carey lost a lot of weight and that you have kept the weight off. Is keeping the weight off more of a mental struggle or phsyical struggle to keep exercising, or what does it take to keep weight off?

Stacey Capers: Not sure what happened to my first answer but I will type it again. I'm now taking a liking to triathlons so that definitely keeps me in the gym!

My own foil: I think that mentally, I am my own foil when it comes to keeping in shape during my "staycation". When I do stay home, all I want to do is sleep, stay in bed, watch tv/movies with my boyfriend, etc. While I try and eat as healthy as possible (although there is definitely some more snacking than usual), I NEVER get out to exercise. It's like my brain is telling me that its a "holiday" so you deserve a break. Any advice on how to break out of this mental cycle?

Stacey Capers: That's how people gain weight on vacation!!! :o)

staycation idea: Hi there! I just wanted to share a potential launching-pad-into-fitness strategy for staycationers. It seems that a week at home would be a good time to try out nearby gyms (if memory serves me correctly, WSC gives potential members a week to work out for free). You might be able to test out different classes/teachers and find out what activities you want to work into your regular schedule. Also, a couple yoga studios have discounts for new members. I just got the $25 one-week pass at Sacred Space Yoga and have been really enjoying it. I've tried three classes so far, and each instructor seemed highly knowledgeable, yet very different, even though all the classes were mixed-level Vinyasa Flow. IMHO, it's nice to have that kind of variety of perspective available. Also, Thrive Yoga (also in Rockville) has $10 community classes, and I think there is one on the schedule every day. Thanks for the great columns! The print package today was very nicely designed, too.

Stacey Capers: Thanks for sharing!

Working out at home: What do you think about all of these home workout programs like P90x? A lot of people claim to be getting serious results, but I am still a little skeptical. What is your opinion on stuff like this?

Stacey Capers: You will likely lose fat but not a lot of "weight" because you will gain muscle. Plus, it is easy to roll out of bed on staycation and pop in a DVD!

Weight loss while at home: I'm reading Dr. Ian's Smith's "4 Day Diet," and I love it. It's a really good guide to stay healthy mentally and physically. However, I just want to know how to handle cravings? I have a serious sweet tooth.

Stacey Capers: Check it out at www.icandofitness.com/recipes_archives.html!

A healthy day gets me craving sugar in the evenings: Usually throughout the day I am very disciplined when it comes to eating well. I pack my own lunch and snacks for work, and I keep a food journal. However, if I go a day or two of being very good (i.e. only having one small piece of dark chocolate as a treat or something similar), I find myself craving junk food and by the end of the second day, I've eaten half a pint of Ben and Jerry's. It's not that I don't know how to eat well. My meals are well balanced with lots of veggies, fruit, lean proteins and whole grains, and I am conscious about packing similarly healthy snacks. It's that my body seems to cry out for lack of sugar/salt. How do I get myself to stop feeling like an addict?

Stacey Capers: Re-focus and get back on track!

Ramadan and working out: Hello! Love the chats. Glad I am able to make it. I will start fasting next week and have a question about working out. Currently I am going to the gym four to five times a week and doing heavy weights and cardio. I know I will not be able to keep the same regime going throughout ramadan, however I want to do something. Any advice on how to at least keep the flab away from the abs and possibly maintain the shape I am currently in? Thanks so much.

Stacey Capers: Good luck!

Staycation for health: I wanted to download a copy of the seven days of suggestions for the staycation, but there's no link to it. Is it posted somewhere? Thanks.

Smith-Barrow: Here you go: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/03/AR2010080303263.html

The fact of the matter: The fact of the matter is that fitness is a lifestyle choice. If one has to sit around on the Internet talking about what kind of exercise one should do, rather than going out and simply doing it, then one already is displaying the lack of necessary mental commitment to a lifestyle of fitness. News flash: The workout you imagine yourself doing will never be even remotely as effective as the one you actually do.

Stacey Capers: It is truly a mental comittment that many don't understand because it is easier not to have to think about what you eat; it is easier not to have to think about going to the gym. but they may be afraid of what is on the "other side" especially if (like me) were never fit before.

Motivation: For the past seven years I have been struggling with my weight. I am most motivated when I have someone to workout with. What can I do to keep myself motivated to go to the gym alone?

Stacey Capers:

coflicting diet and exercise needs: How do we manage conflicting diet triggers and exercise options in the same house, not to mention that one loses weight twice as fast?

Stacey Capers: Find the options that work for you and make it happen!

Stacey Capers: Take care!

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile