Fashion Fix with Nina Garcia

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Holly Thomas,Janet Bennett Kelly,Nina Garcia
Tuesday, August 10, 2010; 12:00 PM

Janet Bennett Kelly: Hi, everyone, "Nina Garcia's What to Wear for Every Occasion." Today's lucky winners will each get a copy of that book. Since I know you're all eager to start chatting with Nina, without further ado, let's begin.

Blazers: Hi Nina,Are blazers still in? I have a ton - several velvet ones, but also houndstooth, corduroy, etc. all of which could go with either jeans or slacks. I used to wear them all the time to work - in particular with jeans and heels for casual Friday - but lately have been feeling a bit dated in that look with all the slouchy cardigans around. Slouchy cardigans neither say "professional" to me, nor do they flatter my hourglass figure the way a fitted blazer does, but I don't want to be out of style either. Can I still wear my little jackets and blazers? They are so practical with a scarf for our randomly seasonal weather here in San Francisco. Thanks!

Nina Garcia: Hi there! You're talking to the right woman--blazers are my absolute favorite. If my closet were burning, it'd be my collection of jackets I would save--they always make me feel pulled-together. Don't get me wrong, I love a good cardigan too, but a jacket--especially one with sharp shoulders, interesting buttons, or a unique collar--always looks the most fashion-forward. Definitely keep on wearing them! In warmer weather you might also try a structured sleeveless vest--gives you a jacket-like look but it's a little cooler and a good summer option.

career: What would you say the next step is for a fashion design student about to graduate from college?

Nina Garcia: If you haven't already done so, INTERN. It's the best way to get your foot in the door and gain on-the-job experience. I actually started my career interning at Perry Ellis, and got to work with Marc Jacobs. An invaluable experience--you get a real inside perspective on how the industry works. Good luck!

Plus-sized fashion options: Following up on last week's hot topic. I've had good luck with Ulla Popken (www.ullapopken.com). The clothing is fun and really well-made, unlike the stuff at various other places mentioned (such as Avenue). I find the sizes run really large, so keep that in mind. It's a bit pricey, but the sales and clearance prices are good. I'm 40, btw, so I look for options that are age-appropriate, but not matronly.

Janet Bennett Kelly: Thanks for the tip. Chatters looking for plus-size clothing, here's an option.

CAbi?: Have either of you (or the readers) had any experience with CAbi? (Carol Anderson by invitation)? Seems they are a consultant sold line, aimed toward the mid-aged professional woman, and the prices are mid range as well. Anyone care to comment on sales, quality? Thanks.

Janet Bennett Kelly: I haven't but sound interesting. Any chatters know about this and care to comment?

D.C.: Nina - I love you on P.R.! What would you say is one thing that a woman in her late 20s MUST have in her closet?

Nina Garcia: Thanks so much! Hmm, the ultimate investment piece in my opinion would be a fantastic pair of black pumps--there are some great pointy-toed ones for fall that I love. Buy a high-quality version--they're an investment for sure. A nice silver tank-style watch is another must-have.

Sunglasses: First off, you're a true beauty, and I think you add tremendous insight to PR. I've always wondered if Michael Kors can see the contestants' work when he judges them. Even during the final runway shows, he's always wearing his sunglasses.

Nina Garcia: Ha, Michael does love his sunglasses! Of course he can still see the runway action. Those overhead lights are brighter than you would think! I should probably take a page out of his book and start wearing some too, actually...

Runway Rewind: Nina: If you had to choose one former fave Project Runway contestant--for their talent, personality, whatever--who would it be?

Nina Garcia: This is a toughie--it's like choosing a favorite child, as I'm so proud of every young designer the show has supported. Christian Siriano stands out to me, though, as someone with a good head on his shoulders, lots of talents, and a solid business plan. He's great.

Stay at Home Mom Fashion: Hi Nina! I love you on Project Runway and you are the reason I now subscribe to Marie Claire. My question for you is about every day "realistic" mommy wear. I am all for skinny jeans and the cardigan wrap sweaters but I'm looking to round out my wardrobe for the fall with some tops and FLAT shoes. What would you suggest? I simply cannot chase after my two kids (both under 4) in 3 and 1/2 inch heels! Thanks!

Nina Garcia: This question is perfect--I'm expecting my second son now! I'm still wearing my heels--for the moment--but try a pair of chic, classic ballet flats or lace-up brogues. Both are comfortable and stylish. And for the warmer months, I'm all about simple leather sandals, especially those by K Jacques.

Men's wardrobe: Hi, I'm a 29 year-old guy. I have a job interview in one week... I work in media, I'm being interviewed by a big network... I don't know what to wear... don't want to wear a suit (too formal) nor jeans (too casual). Can you please help?

Janet Bennett Kelly: Show some creativity!

Do Project Runway judges ever totally disagree?: Hi Nina Garcia, I wondered if the Project Runway judges ever totally disagree?Sometimes it seems one judge makes some negative comment that affects the other judges opinion, do you find that to be the case?

Nina Garcia: Of course! We disagree all the time, and sometimes one of our opinions on a certain design or contestant rubs off on the rest of the judging team. The trick is to talk it over together, consolidate what we like and don't like about the designs, and figure out--TOGETHER--who deserves to continue on in the competition. In general, we all pretty much agree on each episode's winning design, though.

summer wedding and hot pink/red dress!: I have a summer wedding in a few weeks to attend and is it appropriate to wear a pink or red dress? or will that be too flashy?

Janet Bennett Kelly: I don't think either is too flashy, but if you're concerned that that's the way you'll be perceived, I'd say go with the pink.

birthday gift for boyfriend: Hi ladies, and welcome, Nina! It's so great to have your input today!My boyfriend of 6 months is turning 25 and I'm looking for a gift or two that can become classic wardrobe staples for him. Some background info: he's finishing up his masters in FL, so anything overly professional or cool-weather oriented will be impractical. Looking to spend about $100-150. I've been weaning him off of cargo shorts and graphic tees, so something to aid in the transition would be great! Maybe a watch?

Nina Garcia: I love shopping for guys! A watch is a fantastic gift idea--an oversized, stainless steel version with links is classic and cool. You could also go for a business card case, fantastic solid or patterned tie, or even go for broke and get him a really fantastic pen. Little extravagances tend to make great presents since they're something the receiver would probably never think to get for himself.

Fashion Grad: What advice would you give to a recent journalism graduate that has a dream of writing about fashion?

Nina Garcia: Congrats on finishing school! All I can say is freelance, freelance, freelance. Don't be afraid to shop your work around and get your name out there! And try your hand at blogging if you haven't already. Now more than ever, writers can launch their career by Twittering and posting on blogs. Good luck!

Taking notes...: Hi Nina -- Love to see you on Project Runway...and missed you a couple of seasons ago when the show was coming from LA and you weren't there as much. I've always wanted to know...what type of things do you scribble on those big note cards as you are looking at the designs coming down the runway?

Nina Garcia: Hi there! Yes, it's great to have the show back in NYC once again. As for those notecards, they're covered with little comments, suggestions, and things to bring up with each designer during the judging process. I might write something like "Hem seems unfinished," "Great color choice," or "Inspiration great, execution falls flat." Of course, I have so little time to write that most of it would be unreadable to anyone but myself!

Skin products?: Oh no! My sunscreen didn't quite hold up at the beach and though I'm not burned or peeling, I seem to have some dark splotches on my fairly pale skin. Of course I'll increase the sunscreen and better use my large brimmed hat... but is there any product I can use on my face now to help fade these marks? Would a mild peel or exfoliate work? I get so confused when I look at the array of retinols, peels, scrubs, etc, and I don't know where to start.

Janet Bennett Kelly: If it doesn't, I would make an appointment with a dermatologist who can prescribe something stronger like hydriquinone that can fade/eliminate those spots.

Keep it up!: Hi Nina, This isn't a question so much as a comment. You are my fave judge on the show, mostly b/c you give frank feedback without being unnecessarily nasty or snarky (i.e., rather than "it's butt ugly!" you might say "it fits poorly and makes her thighs look huge"). I appreciate the lesson in professionalism, staying calm and even, giving constructive comments. Hopefully, it will wear off on America!

Nina Garcia: Thanks, and glad you're a fan! Yes, the key for me is giving CONSTRUCTIVE criticism without being too harsh or unreasonable. Everyone, even the most talented contestants on the show, could stand to learn a thing or two and improve their game.

29 and pigtails: with the hot weather i needed to find a way to get my hair of my neck and was sick of a bun or ponytail. how do you feel about low, wavy pigtails that sit behind my ears and land on the back of my shoulder. or do i need to give this up stat?

Janet Bennett Kelly: Soft, slightly messy chignons look much more au courant.

Designing kids: Hi, Nina, My 9-year-old daughter, who is a big fan, loves sketching and designing clothing and putting looks together. Sewing and design classes are pretty limited for her age. We'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for training and other experiences to support and encourage her interest in fashion design -- any advice for her? Thank you! Susan

Nina Garcia: Hi Susan! Definitely encourage her creative streak. You'd be surprised by how many designers get their start making clothes for their Barbies. It's definitely early to start her on design courses, but make sure she has access to fabrics, paints, and coloring supplies to play around with. She might also like visiting fashion-oriented museums--the Met's Costume Institute or FIT's museum here in NYC come to mind. Would also make for a fun family outing!

Need for more sensible challenges on Project Runway: My daughter and I have seen all the episodes through season 6 of Project Runway. (We rent the season videos and have not seen the subsequent shows.) We very much enjoy the shows, but feel that there are too few challenges that we can relate to. We enjoy the challenges such as fashion for a postal carrier delivery person, for parents, for men, but there are too few of these. Too often it is for gorgeous models at an elaborate evening event and sometimes outlandish challenges, e.g., for a drag queen. (How many of the viewers have ever met a drag queen, let alone would be able to relate to how a drag queen would want to dress?)

Nina Garcia: Glad you both are fans--and yes, to some a number of our challenges might seem a bit unrealistic. Our goal is to stretch contestants' imaginations and make them think outside the box--kind of like how certain math and science classes are required in high school, yet you know you'll never need to use much of what you learn in day to day life. We try to mix more outlandish challenges, though, with practical ones--designing for pregnant women, plus sizes, integrating original prints, creating looks for a cocktail or garden party, etc.

Steals & Deals: Hi Nina! I would love to find out where you shop for great deals? What stores/online boutiques do you recommend for a high end look without the high end price tag? Based on fabric quality, cuts and trend spotting? Thank you!

Nina Garcia: Target is absolutely fantastic for filling in wardrobe gaps--they offer great basics like simple cotton tees, slim black pants, skinny jeans, and so on. I also have a weakness for high-street stores like Zara, though. They make great pants and structured jackets!

Dark splotches on pale skin: I also spent more time on the beach this summer than usual (I was in FL for work) and my light freckles have become super dark and spread out (used to have them just mainly on my face, now they're all over my body, esp. on my arms). Any suggestions for products that would fade/eliminate them? I know they're "cute" and all, but I want my porcelin complexion back!

Janet Bennett Kelly: Before you start applying any product to fade those spots, you first need to limit your beach time drastically. Find a super sunscreen like Anthelios by La Roche-Posay as well. As I mentioned before, there are over-the-counter products that may help fade those spots, but your best bet is to see a dermatologist, get a prescription for a product and then stay out of the sun as much as possible and when you're in it, wear that sunscreen and hat.

Fashion and "the new austerity": Have designers and retailers adjusted to the "new austerity"? If women are limiting their clothing purchases, how should they be approaching wardrobe updates?

Nina Garcia: Absolutely! I think we're seeing a move towards more minimalist, sleek, and clean looks in general. Just look at what Phoebe Philo is doing at Celine and what Francisco Costa's been doing at Calvin Klein--simple monochromatic dresses and understated lines. People are looking for classic clothes that are worth their cost nowadays!

Makeup Look: Hey Ladies! I'm a teen who loves makeup, and one thing I absolutely adore is bold lips. I have a very pale complexion so I can usually pull off bright shades like reds, corals and pinks, but I was wondering if these colors were in right now?

Janet Bennett Kelly: Those colors are definitely in right now. Did you happen to see Prada's 2010 spring runway show? All the models had this luscious red/coral glossy color on their lips.

Tops with Capri/Cropped pants: I just bought great cropped, right below the knee pants (jeans), denim and white. They fit great but I can't decide the best type of top to wear. My figure is very shapely (hour glass) and when I try on a fitted top and tuck it in, the overall look almost feels more revealing than I am comfortable with. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nina Garcia: Try a loose-fitting striped Breton shirt, either short or long-sleeved, with a simple boatneck. They're one of my favorite pieces--very French gamine-chic. And they look GREAT with white jeans, especially during the warmer months!

Fall Must Haves: Nina: What are your must have for fall?

Nina Garcia: The first thing I'm planning to buy this season is a great, classic camel-colored coat. It's a 70s-inspired must-have and works with anything and everything!

Strapless Dresses at Work: Do you feel strapless dresses at work with a crop jacket is appropriate? Jacket can be taken off after work hours for a evening out with girlfriends. Your thoughts?

Janet Bennett Kelly: It depends on where you work, but I'd be cautious about that look. You might find yourself with a little more skin showing than you want.

Fashion on the Cheap: Hi Nina! I LOVE your inputs on PR and in Marie Claire, so exciting to see you here today! I was wondering if you have an opinion on stores such as TJ Maxx and/or consignments shops that sell clothing and accessories at discounted prices. Do people in the fashion 'biz' get a little PO'd to see their clothing/shoes/accessories with slashed prices or are they happy that everyone (even broke little 20 somethings like me) can experience good taste and style?

Nina Garcia: Hi! Editors like myself are all for democratic fashion--we love the trickle-down effect. Style should be for everyone. I love Target for discounted staple items like tees and jeans, and there are some great high-street stores like Zara and Mango that take on runway trends mere WEEKS after they are shown. Lots of good options out there. So get shopping!

Starting Over: Hi. I have an opportunity to totally redo my wardrobe. This is desperately needed as I haven't bought clothes since 2003 (with the exception of maybe three or four pieces). Where do I start? Are there any guidelines on how to fill a closet? Thanks!

Nina Garcia: Absolutely--my book The 100 was actually inspired by this sort of situation. It's full of essential pieces every woman--no matter her personal style, age, or size--should own. Think simple white oxford button-ups, perfectly-tailored black pants, simple calfskin pumps, and a traditional mens-style watch. Go for a few great investment buys, then fill in the rest of your closet with less-expensive basics.

No Nos: What are some of the big fashion "No Nos" you see these days? On the street No Nos? Office No Nos? I want to make sure I'm not doing anything on your list.

Nina Garcia: The ultimate "fashion faux pas" for me? Poor tailoring. If you wear something that doesn't fit right, be it a pair of jeans or a sheath dress, it will look all wrong. Spend a little extra to have your favorite pieces perfectly fitted. And don't go overboard with trends! Just try out one at a time or you'll look like you've tried too hard.

What to wear with silk cargos?: Good Afternoon + thanks for the chats.Usually I am good at "pairing" up trendy items, but I purchased on "super sale" a pair of black silk, cargos which are gathered just below the knee.Great trendy style, but what do I pair with them on top?As far as shoes, I am looking to do heels, but nothing seems to work on top.Any advice is appreciated! They are too cute to stay in the closet!

Janet Bennett Kelly: And definitely heels.

No Low-Rise Here!: Everything I look at is low-rise lately, but for many this cut doesn't work. What rise should a 5'3," figure shaped woman look for and where can I find it?

Nina Garcia: Try out a pair of high-waisted flares--they offer a great, nautical-chic look, especially when paired with some super-high heels. Your legs will look miles long!

Request for clarification... : Your response to an earlier poster advising her to go with a chignon - what's the difference between a chignon and a bun?

Janet Bennett Kelly: I think of a bun as tight and school marmy and a chignon as chic. But semantics aside, they're the same.

Fall Fashion - key piece?: Hi Nina, thanks for being on the chat & agree with others here on the chat, love PR show! I was wondering what would you suggest as key piece for this fashion for the fall? I love to wear v-neck dress with camisole underneath for work but trying to expand my wardrob. My company allows casual fridays and I try to not wear jeans every friday. Thanks!

Nina Garcia: For something a little more on the casual side but that still looks sharp, try out a military-style field jacket. They're available in tons of army colors, from pale khaki to deep olive. So comfortable and very fashion-forward--a nice, easy option for when you want to give your blazers a break.

Nina Garcia: Hi all, I had a wonderful time chatting with you all and fielding some of your questions! Am sure I'll be back. All the best wishes, and stay stylish! Keep on watching Project Runway, and be sure to pick up my new book, "Nina Garcia's Look Book." It hits stores today!!

Non-maternity clothes advice?: Hi there! I'm pregnant with twins and I don't feel like spending a fortune on a wardrobe that I will wear for only a few months. I'm trying to buy as many versatile non-maternity clothes as possible, so that I can wear them even after the pregnancy. I've been stocking up on oversized cardigans figuring I can wear them open, and regular layering pieces, like James Pearce tops, which are typically pretty long. Although The Bump is growing, the rest of me is still my usual Size 2 self. Pants I'll have to give in on obviously, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there made it through a pregnancy pretty much avoiding maternity tops. Any suggestions on how to do so or where to shop for versatile clothes are more than welcome! Thanks!!

Janet Bennett Kelly: Did you know that Forever 21 has come out with a new affordable maternity line?

On any given Tuesday...: ... I wear a deep purple, jersey dress. It's sleeveless with a self-tie belt. I'll wear a linen turqoise scarf by Pucci (all different ways and sometimes as my belt). I'll wear my gladiator heels. Do you think the gladiator heels are worth holding on to for another warm season? They're very comfortable and surprising office appropriate. I'd hate to part with them.

Janet Bennett Kelly: As for the gladiator heels, I'd hold onto them for another season for sure.

Maternity coat: I am going to need a maternity coat this winter and I want something cute! Any suggestions? Has to be available online since I live abroad. Thanks -- love your chats even from the other side of the world!

Janet Bennett Kelly: What about Pea in the Pod?

For fashion designing 9-year old: She might have fun with this website where girls can customize clothes to purchase. And there are some fun fashion design kits out there for girls. The ones I saw that I liked had small light tables and you trace your designs from different templates, then color them in. Try searching the Amazon toys section or Toys R Us for "fashion design" or "clothing design." Or try crafts stores like Michaels, I've seen the kits there too.

dark splotches: Cremes with niacin can be helpful in fading hyperpigmentation (aka age spots, freckles, or dark splotches).

CAbI response: CAbI clothes are classic (think Talbots or Macy's Charter Club). I think the clothes run kind of big (size 6 was huge on me so I went down to a 4). They are priced about the same as full price Talbots or Charter Club. However, what you get is a fun dress up party for adults. I bought a coat at a CAbI party many years ago that still looks beautiful and gets me many compliments every time I wear it.

RE: For 9 year old daughter who wants to sew: I'm not sure what area you live in but you can also take her to the Textile Museum in DC and also when I was looking for a sewing class I came across this place called the SassySewer and they have a kids sewing club she might be interested in joining.

CAbi: I have some friends who are CAbi reps and have seen the last three collections. I think the clothing is beautifully designed and made. It's comfortable, flattering, and mostly easy-care. I do think it's better for tall ladies. At 5'8" and long-limbed, the regular sizes are perfect for me, and when pants are offered in long as well as regular, the longs are too long for me.

Re: CAbi: I have been to one party and bought a cardigan. Depending on your income bracket, it can be affordable (think Ann Taylor/Banana Republic without sale racks). The clothing is well made and IMHO has a nice range for varying tastes. The party itself was fun and what I loved is that the consultant had most of the clothes so you can try them on before buying!

On any given Tuesday...: Wow, that could be anything from shorts and a t-shirt in this weather (I work from home) to a travel-friendly pant suit and TSA-friendly shoes (easy off, easy on) when I'm off to a meeting out of town. No shoes are required for the trek down the hall to my home office, let alone makeup!

In Search Of: I've seen a lot more of the fuller skirts for fall. I've been trying to find either a wide A-Line or a pleated skirt (grown-up version) that's a little longer than knee length with little success. Wool or a wool blend would be preferred. Have you or any of the chatters spotted anything? I've only been seeing pencil skirts or the fuller short ones. Thanks!

Janet Bennett Kelly: That's a little surprising because lots of designers showed fuller skirts for fall that were on the long side. Take a look at the fall runway show for Dries Van Noten, for example, or Marc Jacobs. Stores don't have all their stock in yet for fall, so maybe wait a little longer. I'l check it out, though.

RE: Maternity Advice: When I was pregnant with my son I loved H&M maternity clothes. They were very affordable and chic at the same time.

For non-maternity clothes advice: I thought the same as you, but ended up buying some maternity clothes. The problem is that you're getting larger in one specific place, and simply buying longer tops won't cut it. They won't be big enough in the right place. Being pregnant is awkward enough without worrying about your clothes. I'd recommend checking Craigslist, thrift stores, and consignment stores for affordable options. Also, talk to your friends and see if anyone else around your size has any maternity clothes, or perhaps someone knows someone. I found good pieces at Motherhood Maternity (on sale). Good luck!

For maternity coat: I used a cape, which worked really well. And I can still wear it. ;)

For non-Maternity Maternity clothes: My friend is pregnant, due in September and is also petite. She has been wearing a lot of cotton dresses, which are flowy and have some stretch. Loft has been someplace she's been able to get several without spending a ton of money.

any given tuesday: I am fortunate enough to work from home - telecommuting from the mountain west to the east coast. But I always get showered, dressed, and do my hair before work - it helps put me in a "work" mindset. I never work in jammies or anything I'd wear to work out in, like a t-shirt and yoga pants. Today I'm in a knit top, capris and flats!

For the neck scar chatter from last week: I had a cyst removed that left a scar right in the middle of the left side of my neck. It is almost completely invisible and my advice is this: shield it from the sun. Even after the scar has healed, the brand-new skin there is much more sensitive. I recommend not just sunscreen, but covering the scar completely with a bandage or zinc oxide every time you go outside until winter. That might seem like a pain now, but your reward is not having to wear coverup for the rest of your life.

Janet Bennett Kelly: Great suggestion. I have a colleague with a rather large scar who swears by her zinc oxide every time she goes into the sun. It's a total block so the rays of the sun won't be able to penetrate to the skin and will keep the new skin safe.

Fuller skirt: I bought a nice, full (but not too full!) black pleated skirt from Zara for about $40 a few weeks ago. You might want to check there.

Too short for cargo and crop pants: I'm 5'4" and feel like the trendy cargo/crop/capri styles make my legs look even shorter. Does keeping a monochromatic look help? But then you have my pasty calves sticking out. I suppose certain skirt lengths do the same, so what's a girl to do? This is for casual wear - my office would not go for it. Thanks!

Janet Bennett Kelly: Keeping the colors the same on your pants and top will help. But for skirts, I think petite women look great in shorter lengths. So, keep your skirts on the short side and try longer pants.

Blotchy skin: Thanks for posting the comments about odd tanning on the face. I've experienced the same thing this summer and wondered what was happening. (Age, perhaps?) I'll be more careful, especially as we're headed to the beach this week.

For 9-year old seamstress: If you're in DC, you might want to check out DC Threads. Other communities might have something similar. All ages and experience levels are welcome.

men's shorts: My husband, in his mid 50s, has always worn only jean shorts, which I recently read in this space were declasse. What do you recommend as an alternative, for a guy who mainly wears Hawaiian type shirt in the summer and wants something with about a 12" inseam, not too light (weight or color), and without all those cargo pockets?

Janet Bennett Kelly: Definitely tell your husband to lose those jean shorts. They don't flatter many people, let alone a guy in his mid-50s. Lead him along a more conservative route if you can. I like the shorts they sell at Vineyard Vines, for example. Would he go for madras?

A clue please: Any insight into the statement pieces or must-haves for fall? Which colors are making an appearance?

Janet Bennett Kelly: For fall colors are on the muted side. I'm seeing lots of camel, gray and navy.

Getting Ready for Fall!: Hi Ladies,I'm starting to think about Fall outfits, and I have a question about tights. I have some cute dresses (nice shades of maroon, purple, pink) that I think would look great with my chocolate brown boots. As it gets later in the season and I need a little something more to keep my legs warm, what color tights should I wear? With black boots I usually go with black or gray tights, but I'm not sure what works with brown boots and a colored dress. Please help!

Janet Bennett Kelly: With your brightly colored dresses, I'd stick with the same color tights as the chocolate brown boots to give some continuity to your look.

Inexpensive maternity clothes: Old Navy has some decent and inexpensive basics. You will definitely want maternity clothes--the few nonmaternity pieces you'll be able to wear throughout will wear out, plus you'll be so sick of them that you won't want to wear them anymore once you're back into your regular clothing.

For the 9 year old: See if she's interested in art classes in general. Fashion design is part of the art spectrum and having a broad art and design vocabulary will help her with clothing design. Plus, being able to draw is a must for a designer. Some figure study classes, which do exist for the elementary school set, would be very helpful.

Janet Bennett Kelly: The chatter who suggested using zinc oxide to protect scar tissue when you're in the sun will receive a copy of Nina Garcia's new book and so will the chatter who recommended taking the nine-year-old to the Textile Museum where they have a kids sewing club. Email us at fashion@washpost.com with your mailing info and we'll get those in the mail. See you next week. Until then, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile