Got Plans? - Sophisticated cocktails for the light drinker

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
The Going Out Gurus
Thursday, August 19, 2010; 1:00 PM

Justin Rude: Well, its lobster roll day. Many of our regulars are probably still waiting in line for their $15 sandwich, so we hope the rest of you brought extra questions. Let's get started.

Cocktails in Columbia Heights?: Any suggestions on where to go on Friday? We're a mid-to-late 20s crowd.

Fritz Hahn: Great neighborhood feel, cool crowd, small plates to share and my favorite patio in Columbia Heights. Owner/bartender Dan Searing is one of the area's top mixologists -- his Rickey came in second in the D.C. Craft Bartenders Guild's annual contest. Right now, he's doing a summer sangria with St. Germain elderflower liqueur and fresh strawberries. Perfect for a warm summer night.The only other place in Columbia Heights where I'll drink cocktails is Social, and it's got a great lounge vibe. (The back patio is fun, too.) But I don't think their drink menu is as creative or satisfying as Room 11's.

20009: Have you heard anything about Chess at the Signature theatre? I have a soft spot for that show, but don't want to scare off my non 80's-Cold War-musical- loving SO. Thanks!

Stephanie Merry: I'm not seeing Chess until next weekend, but I'm tres excited about it, since I'm a huge ABBA fan (Trivia: The dudes from that amazing Swedish band did the music for the show). Okay, now I have Knowing Me, Knowing You in my head....

Sunday Fun-day : My husband and I both have Monday off and want to have a fabulous dinner on Sunday but all of our favorites (Palena, Obelisk, Source) are closed. Where's a great place to get dinner (any cuisine) and after-dinner drinks on a Sunday? Bonus for restaurants with half-priced bottle specials or something similar. Thanks!

Justin Rude: You could try the new Spanish restaurant Estadio and get both dinner and excellent drinks. Staying in the same ownership group you could also hit Proof and then walk up the street to the Passenger. Another trendy option open on Sunday's is Kushi, and they have an impressive Sake list and a fun menu of signature cocktails.

Sunday Breakfast: Hi GOGs,I'm looking for a breakfast place in DC that will be able to accommodate 4-5 lovely ladies on Sunday morning. I have a friend in from out of town who will need to catch a train at 2pm, so a place that won't have us waiting for a table for an hour or that takes reservations would be great. Near cleveland park or union station is optimal but not required.

Justin Rude: B. Smith's isn't cheap, but it takes reservations, has a good, southern style brunch, and is located in Union Station. I would be inclined to go to Johnny's Half Shell though, which is close to the station and also takes reservations for breakfast.

Poutine: Any place I can get some poutine in the area? I'm dying for some gravy fries.

Fritz Hahn: Hmmm... this wouldn't in any way be related to the poutine truck that's coming the the area this week, would it?But I love the "disco fries" at ChurchKey -- melted chedder, sausage gravy. Perfect with a big old porter.

Justin Rude: I have nothing to add, but didn't want to let this pass without throwing my full support behind the Fritz's disco fries recommendation. Just another thing that place gets right.

Please Help: I'm from out of town and will be staying on Vermont Ave for a week. What are some bars that would be a comfortable fit for an older (35+) woman alone nearby? Anything I should not miss?

Fritz Hahn: Vermont Avenue's a pretty long street -- it runs from the White House to U Street/Florida Ave. Where exactly are you staying?

Fishing: Going out fishing for the first time in my life this weekend. Do I need to purchase a license or anything?

Amy Orndorff: You do, and you should. But that is just the little Park Ranger want to be in me wagging my finger. I have mine and it really wasn't that expensive or difficult to get. (Ok, that is because my dad/fishing buddy bought it for me this year as a present, but that isn't the point.)I suggest you explore the web site Take Me Fishing. It has great information for beginners and tells you how to get your license.And good luck on your first fishing trip. Who knows, you might just get hooked. (ha. Get it? Hooked.)

Concerts : Have you guys heard about this band, Neutral Uke Hotel, that is coming through DC next week?!? You guys recommend this to Neutral Milk Hotel fans?Thanks.-Myra

David Malitz: This might be acceptable at some Run For Cover-type show. But as a full band? Ugh. I absolutely, unequivocally do not recommend this band to Neutral Milk Hotel fans. I mean, it's this kind of stuff that ensures there will never be a Neutral Milk Hotel album.

Music and Museums?: Gurus, I need your help. My parents are coming into town tomorrow and have requested a Saturday lunch involving music and a museum. I think they are imagining having lunch at one of the Smithsonians with a Bach quartet playing, or perhaps jazz. Are you aware of anything like that? Any alternatives we might consider involving food and music? Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: I'll be honest, this time of year, you can get two out of three: The concerts are hard to come by (no sign of the old gospel brunches at the Corcoran, no evening concert scheduled for this Sunday at the National Gallery...). I'd still suggest lunching at the National Gallery of Art Garden Cafe, which will give your parents that classy museum lunch in a really pretty environment. The menu is French-themed and designed by Michel Richard (not bad, huh?) to complement the "Impressionism to Modernism" show. Readers? Any other ideas?

Engagement celebration Happy Hour?: Hey GoG's... a dear friend recently got engaged and a handful of girlfriends would like to take her out to celebrate over happy hour. We're looking a something a little nice (not front page intern-poolza) but not crazy expensive either. Also, hoping for something in Dupont/midtown area. Thanks for your help!

Fritz Hahn: and maybe if you call ahead you could score one of those private booths with the gauzy curtains. They do have good daily specials, too, and it's also close enough to 14th Street that you could do a little post-happy hour bar hopping (Estadio, Masa 14?) if you wanted.If you can be a little flexible with location, especially on a Friday night, Lavanya and I both like sending people to get half-price champagne cocktails at Napoleon/Metropolitain.

resturants and entertainment: We live in NW PG Co and are interested in what you think are the best picks for resturants and entertainment in that area

Amy Orndorff: I am a huge fan of Pasta Plus in Laurel. I know the name isn't very impressive, but the food is yummy and the atmosphere is very welcoming.

90s Dance Party: Hi! I had a fantastic time at the 90s dance party at the 9:30 club a couple of weekends ago. Do you know of any upcoming similar events, or any bars/clubs that play similar music? Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: The monthly Peach Pit party at Dahlak is a favorite. (The next one is on the 26th.) It's all-'90s, as you might imagine from the 90210-inspired name.This Saturday, DJ Lil'E, who usually hosts the alternative-heavy '80s party on the Black Cat's backstage, is hosting a "bizarro" '90s version. She's a solid selector, and it could be fun.But you're honestly not going to beat the No Scrubs party just for '90s guilty pleasures.

Dupont for lunch: Kind of a basic question. I will be in Dupont Circle on Saturday and am looking for a reasonably priced, casual, but interesting place to have lunch. Any cuisine is OK. Can you suggest a few options, and in particular any new places that would be interesting? I don't get to the city on the weekends much and don't really know what's good around there. Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: A new-ish spot that has been pulling in crowds is Madhatter; definitely the "interesting" you're looking for. Bistro Du Coin is probably on the pricey side, but the French vibe makes it a popular spot.

Justin Rude: I'll second both of those suggestions and add Scion for its awesome burger and playful menu.

1/2 Price Champagne Cocktails: Does Napoleon still do the 1/2 price champagne cocktails? I was there once, about 9 months ago, and I asked about specials downstairs, and they said they didn't have any! I had gone there precisely because of the 1/2 price cocktails too! Is there something special I need to know?

Fritz Hahn: It depends on when you go -- different DJ parties and events have different specials. (Last time I was there on a Thursday night, they had a Scotch Punch special.)Just checked Napoleon's Web site (napoleondc.com), and they say half-price champagne cocktails from 5:30-8 at the bar.

Overnight getaway?: I'm looking to take my girlfriend on an overnight retreat somewhere outside the city for our anniversary, hopefully within an hour or two drive. I was thinking maybe the Charlottesville area, I've heard they have some good vineyards and there's always Monticello, but I've never been down that way and have no idea where to stay or whether there are any good places to eat. Any recommendations for that area or any other romantic weekend getaways?

Stephanie Merry: How sweet! I vote for hitting a few wineries (I liked Flying Fox and Kluge when I went recently), a tour of Monticello, wandering around UVa. and maybe a hike around humpback rock if it's not too hot. There are a ton of B&Bs in the area, which might be the best way to go for a romantic weekend. There's Boar's Head Inn, too, though that's a pricey option. As for food, I love Zocalo, Continental Divide (the delicious margaritas will make the wait for a table bearable, I promise) and L'Etoile.

Brunch/Lunch: Hey GOGs, do you know of a brunch place that also serves lunch dishes? Noon or later start time. Some of my buddies don't like the standard eggs/pancakes/french toast.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Take note: This is brunch with a whole lotta drinkin' going on. Give in and get a bloody mary, at the very least.

Falls church?: Best place to eat in downtown Falls Church?

Justin Rude: I like La Caraquena and the Lebanese Butcher and Restaurant. Though Pizzeria Orso (off Broad Street a bit, admittedly) is very good. Fritz says the food at Mad Fox is way better than you would expect as well. Any chatters have downtown Falls Church favorites?

Reston Happy Hours?: Hi Gurus! My husband and I are having dinner in Reston tomorrow night and I'm looking for a happy hour to hang out at beforehand. What are your top picks for Reston happy hours? Food is less important than fabulous drinks at great prices.

Fritz Hahn: Every time I go to Reston I'm on the lookout for great happy hours, and I'm sad to say I've never found a great one. Jackson's has good cocktails, but I don't think they have happy hour prices. (And I'd hate to send you to Clyde's.)Readers, can you help?

Merriweather update: I wrote in a couple of weeks ago, asking what to do around Merriweather a few hours before a show. Well, turns out we didn't get to try any of the great suggestions from Guru readers because we were stuck in traffic for over 3 hours. What do I have to do to avoid traffic, get a hotel room the night before?

David Malitz: That much traffic? Which show was this for? I've been out there for the Arcade Fire and MGMT shows the past couple weekends and didn't run into too much trouble. There was a bit of rush hour leftover for the Arcade Fire show but nothing too bad. Coming from VA I avoid 95 and take Colesville to Columbia.

Dirty Martini: Do you have any scoop on this spot - yet to open on Connecticut Ave? What's it supposed to be like? Should we be excited?

Fritz Hahn: It's coming from the owner of Lotus/Tattoo/Midtown/Fur, and allegedly it's going to be a fancy and "stylish" restaurant, not a bar or dance club. (The name strikes me as a bit incongruous.)

Interior Design : Gurus, I'm looking for an Interior Design 101 course. I don't intend to become a professional, just want to learn the basics to apply to my home. The Corcoran has exactly what I'm looking for but the course is really pricey. Any other ideas?

Justin Rude: I don't have a Corcoran alternative for you, but I can assure you from personal experience that, while they may be pricey, those classes are great. My wife did their intro to interior design program and I took a graphic design course there and we were both very happy with it.

Redline Happy Hour?: Hi GoGs! Looking to go out to happy hour with a group of friends this Friday afternoon either in Cleveland Park or Adams Morgan. Some of these friends have been hit by the economic woes so ideally we're looking for some great deals and a fun atmosphere, can you sugguest any good happy hour bars fitting that description? Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Split it halfway and go to Murphy's of D.C. in Woodley Park. $2 Yuenglings and Miller Lites from 4 to 6. If you want to keep things going, head over to Adams Morgan and hit the Reef, where there are $3 beers until 8, and an extra 10 percent off if you live in Cleveland Park/Adams Morgan/anywhere with a neighboring zip code.

Not Club Girls but...: We are definitely not "clubby girls" but are going to Josephines Lounge for a friends birthday this Saturday night. What should we expect as far as cover, dress code, and music? Normally we go to bars but for one night doing something different. We are all in our mid twenties.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Typically, if you get there before 11, you're likely to pay a little less, but it could still rack up to about $20-$40 a person. If you want a backup plan, I'm a big fan of Napoleon in Adams Morgan - no cover, same Eurotrash vibe (I mean that as a compliment).

Beer Week: So I'm trying to celebrate the husband's bday on Friday 8/26. Coincidentally, he's a big beer fan. We're not from Michigan, and the line about wearing wolverine or spartan colors makes me think it's more a "yeah, Michigan" event than a "yeah, beer" one. Any thoughts on that? Or do you know if there will be other Beer Week events that night?

Fritz Hahn: Ummmm, the Big Hunt's Michigan beer party is going to be ALL about the beer. The beer list that night is INSANE. So much stuff that you can't otherwise get in D.C. I'm going to be there as early as possible.I'm going to be updating my D.C. Beer Week list as more events keep coming in. This morning, in fact, I got an e-mail from the Black Squirrel about a Meet the Brewer night they're doing with Flying Dog on Friday to celebrate the release of Snake Dog IPA. All kinds of Flying Dog beer flights and other goodies. Starts at 6.

re: Dirty Martini: Definitely does not say "fancy restaurant" to me. It says lounge or maybe even the name of a quirky romantic comedy.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Yeah, I'm with you and Fritz. A little '90s, isn't it. Like a place you go to drink Cosmos.

Julia: Where oh where is Julia?

Stephanie Merry: Julia ditched us. But not totally. She works upstairs from us on exciting projects like mobile applications. We miss her, too.

Tenleytown/AU: Suggestions for place a few parents and new college students might have dinner Saturday night at or walkable to Tenleytown metro? There should be wine. Otherwise, all cuisines considered.

Lavanya Ramanathan:

August 20-23: In DC that weekend. Got suggestions? Treat me like a local.

Stephanie Merry: Okay, local. You may want to start with a Beer Week event or two. You could also press your luck and enter the lotto for Shakespeare Free for All tickets or you could check out the YouTube Salon (with our very own Lavanya serving as a "curator").

Birthday Ideas: Hi! My birthday is next Saturday and I'm trying to plan a fun night out for me and 10 or so of my closest friends. I've got people coming in from the 'burbs, so a central location like Dupont, U street, or Gallery Place would be key. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe doing table service too - what do you think about the rooftop at Public? Is it difficult to get a table there, and how much would that run me? Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: I'm guessing getting all 10 people in to the same place is key. Around Gallery Place, you'd want Iron Horse, the patio at Poste, maybe Passenger for cocktails if you're going early enough. On U, I'd say Solly's or Dodge City would be ideal. In Dupont, the new Madhatter would work, or Public, or maybe the new Mighty Pint?I really like Public's rooftop deck, and a table is the best way to fight the crowds on weekends. I think you're looking at $500-600 minimum (at least) with a group of 10, but you should call today if you want to set something up.

cocktail advice: Going to dinner with my husband and his boss/so to celebrate my husband's promotion. Am not a drinker. What kind of cocktail should I order to appear sophisiticated?

Fritz Hahn: Where are you going? Really, this is about personal preference -- don't order a gin martini to look cool if you don't like gin. Total waste of money. The only advice is NOT to order something like a Cosmo, a mojito, a flirtini -- anything with a stupid name.

For BRUNCH/LUNCH: For the guy who wants a good spot that has both breakfast and lunch items...one of my fave go-to's is Tunnicliff's. They have great egg dishes + great burgers and the chocolate cake is amazing (large enough for 3-4 to split....and I don't usually share dessert).

Amy Orndorff: Ah Tunnicliff's. When I lived over there it was my go-to place for many meals. Thanks for the suggestion.

DC Beer Week: Stupid question - but will any events be taking place outside DC proper? I already have plans to come into the city for two, just wondering if there will be any in VA like Rustico. Also - any idea when the Rustico Ballston addition will be opening?

Fritz Hahn: At this point, I haven't heard anything about Rustico events, which is a shame -- I loved the beer happy hours they hosted around Savor Week earlier this year. The Terrapin night was fantastic.Last I heard from Greg Engert, the Ballston Rustico was opening in September. (Friends who work out that way disagree.)

Birthday Dinner and drinks in Annapolis: My friend's birthday is coming up. She's a FT mom of 2 and doesn't get to go out much. We wanted to take her out for dinner and drinks with the girls in Annapolis, to somewhere with good food and walking distance to a few other bars for after dinner drinks. We want to avoid the amateur delinquency that generally surrounds the main area near Pusser's, etc. Suggestions?

Lavanya Ramanathan: Level is a relatively new entry to Annapolis nightlife --with craft cocktails, DJs, etc -- that's exactly the opposite of what you've come to expect from Annapolis nightlife. Sounds right up your alley.

Chess: Saw Chess and as usual Signature delivers - completely different than any other production I've seen. Those in the group who knew nothing about Chess also loved it.

Stephanie Merry: Thanks for the intel.

To Non-Clubby Girls: Josephine is a blast on Saturday Nights! You should have the birthday girl call/email the club or the promoters (Jamie Hess or Ezra Qassim) directly to get a free guestlist for all her friends.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Ladies, the VIP treatment begins...

Tenleytown & Wine =: Le Chat Noir! Save room for the crepes at dessert ... yum!

Justin Rude: Saving room for crepes is always sound advice.

Beer Week on Saturday?: Any beer week events for Saturday? I only see Friday and Sunday, which seemed odd...

Fritz Hahn: This Saturday? Nope. Most of the Beer Week events start Monday.

What kind of cocktail should I order to appear sophisiticated? : When I don't want to drink too much I usually order a cape code and ask that they go easy on the vodka. I don't know about it being sophisiticated, though.

Stephanie Merry: Interesting. I usually go for a Shirley Temple. I just think it sounds classy.

U St night out: My boyfriend and I are going out for our one year anniversary on Saturday - doing drinks at The Gibson at 8:30. After our two hour reservation is up, we'd like to find someplace fun to continue the night but not too crazy. Any suggestions for place where we can get a drink and actually talk?

Fritz Hahn: After your two-hour reservation is up, see if they'll let you move out to the patio. (They might, if there's room.)But staying on U Street, I think Dodge City is good about keeping the volume low(er) and letting people hang out and chat. Same with the bar at Bistro La Bonne, where I find myself winding up more often these days. The Saloon famously doesn't have music, so you have to talk, but you may wind up sharing a table with other people. Not sure if you'd want to do that on your anniversary.

Mojitos: Mojito is a stupid name?

Fritz Hahn: Ha. Just reread my answer. It's not a stupid name. It's not a particularly sophisticated cocktail, and bartenders outside of a couple of mojito-friendly bars REALLY hate making it.

RE: Classy Drinks for a moderate drinker: Order a tall gin and tonic. Bartenders will know to serve it in a collins (tall) glass, but will make up all of the difference with tonic, rather than gin, so it is more diluted than a normal drink.

Fritz Hahn: That's a good one. I'd also say a tall gin rickey would be a good one -- gin, club soda, lime wedge.

Nats game: What to do prior to Nats game next Tuesday night? Coming from work so will have more than an hour to kill.

Fritz Hahn: Sandwich and craft beer at Justin's Cafe, pre-game beer and people-watching at the Bullpen.Or get a pre-game snack and beer at Lola's or Molly Malone's on Barracks Row, then walk to the ballpark. (That can take about 20 minutes or more if you meander.)

Best Sushi in Arlington or Falls Church: Any suggestions?

Justin Rude: For a more minimalist approach you could try Asahi in Courthouse.

Fireworks: So I thought that Fireworks was supposed to open last night, but their website doesn't make it look like that happened. Any inside information??

Fritz Hahn: Yeah, this is why I'm not a fan of writing up places before their opening day. The promised day came and went, and no one at Fireworks has answered the phone. (I tried calling yesterday, too, to no avail.)

Restaurant Week: Need a restaurant suggestion. One that is participating in restaurant week, preferably near Metro Center. I was thinking about the Occidental, any thoughts?

Stephanie Merry: I can't speak specifically to Occidental's Restaurant Week menu but, for what it's worth, one of my best RW experiences was at Zola.

Cocktail sophisticate: Shirley Temple. Used to get those when I went with my mother to bingo night at the local officer's club. My brother ordered a Roy Rogers.

Fritz Hahn: I made up a killer recipe for an adult Shirley Temple with hibiscus grenadine that I got at Ace Beverage -- orange vodka, grenadine, little bit of orange juice, soda, a little splash of Luxardo or Leopord Brothers Cherry Liqueur sitting in for the cherry.

RE: Classy Drinks for a moderate drinker: If you really don't want to drink, you can always ask for sparkling water.

Lavanya Ramanathan: I do this all the time - put a lime in it, and it looks just like a gin and tonic, so no one knows I'm a total lightweight. I mean, err, no one knows you aren't drinking.

Restaurant Week Suggestions: My parents are coming in this weekend (tonight actually, eek!) to see my show. I was hoping to take advantage of Restaurant Week but there are so many participating restaurants that I feel overwhelmed! I was thinking about The Occidental for an early dinner on Saturday but I'm not sure. The location is key because my show is in Silver Spring ,so that is where my parents are staying, but I live in Ballston. Someplace in the middle would be great! Any thoughts about the Occidental, or suggestions for other participating restaurants in Restaurant Week? Thank you!!

Justin Rude: to take parents.

Fireworks: Has a sign up that they are opening Saturday. I think they had a soft opening on weds, since i saw folks there last night.

Fritz Hahn: Ah. They'd originally told the world they were *opening* on Wednesday, leading to all sorts of blog/e-mail coverage about it, and then failed to retract the date.

Reston HH: McCormick's best HH food prices, drink prices are about the same I think. Can get crowded sometimes.Chili's best HH for drinks, I think they only have wings & chips on special during HH, but they are not that good.

Fritz Hahn: I weep for Reston if Chili's is the best place to go for happy hour drinks.Do love me some McCormick and Schmick's for happy hour, though. $3.95 half-pound burger and fries.

Quiet Adams Morgan Dinner: Parents and the girlfriend are coming into town next week. Parents want to see the neighborhood and thought of taking them to a nice, quiet dinner in Adams Morgan. Can't really think of any place that is nice and quiet!

Fritz Hahn: Himalayan Heritage is awesome. And at dinner, Bourbon is about what you're looking for -- busy, lively, but not crazy.

Whither the Brits? : I am currently mending a broken heart by trying to go out and meet cute boys. Or charming boys. Or flirty boys. I would especially love it if these boys were Brits (or Irish, or Scottish, or Australian, really). Any suggestions of where I might find ex-pats or embassy workers who would be willing to charm me with their dreamy accents?

Fritz Hahn: My British friends go watch soccer at Summers on Saturday/Sunday mornings. Does that help? Also ran into English friend at Againn and he loved it -- and I've seen him (and other ex-pats) there a couple of times since.

Raw Bar: We're looking for a good raw bar for Friday night. We live in Fairfax and I'm pretty sure there's not one out here. Don't really want to drive up to Rockville...thinking maybe National Harbor but something that doesn't involve crossing the woodrow wilson bridge on a Friday night would be better! Any suggestions?

Justin Rude: Its not in Fairfax, but you don't have to cross the bridge to get to Hank's Oyster Bar in Alexandria. And if you are there late they offer $1 oysters on Fridays from 11 p.m. to midnight.

One last thing...: What is one summery thing that you'd recommend folks see/do/eat/drink before summer's unofficial end on Labor Day?

Fritz Hahn: Sunday night Dolcezza gelato cocktails and all-you-can-eat barbecue on the back patio of the Gibson.

Amy Orndorff: Get a big group of friends, go tubing, drink beer, pick crabs til the sun goes down, make a big bonfire, roast marshmellows and count fire flies.

Stephanie Merry: Picnic on the Mall followed by an ice cream sandwich at one of those portable stands followed by cooling off at the National Gallery in front of the impressionists.

Justin Rude: Beer mussels, fries and oysters on Beck's patio.

Lavanya Ramanathan: I have several things left to check off my summer bucket list: I will drink one of these fiery tiki drinks Fritz just wrote about. I will finally remember to pack a picnic for a Friday night at Jazz in the Garden. I will rent a canoe at Jack's Boathouse on a Saturday morning and see me some Potomac up close, finally, for the first time. And I will find someone to go to Rock the Bells with me.

I weep for Reston: I work in Reston! That's why I'm always on this chat looking for things to do.Try Herndon, it's right next door. There is Breakers (I've never been but heard a lot about) and Carpool (cheap drinks during HH & a lot of games).

Fritz Hahn: I've written about Herndon a bunch. Had a good time at Breakers (cheap happy hour, good crowd, beautiful pool tables), Ned Devine's, Carpool (in agreement with you), and Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, which is a personal favorite.

Brits: What about the bar at the British Embassy? You have to know someone that works there to get in though...

Fritz Hahn: Union Tap: Great pub, cheap drinks. But if you're looking to *meet* Brits, you can't get in. Have to know one first.

Clarification: What exactly makes a menu playful?

Justin Rude: that is having fun while doing its job. Being playful, if you will.

beer week: anyplace going to have any special goose island stuff? i can usually find 312 (ick) or honkers or bourbon county stout, but I'd love to find more without having to fly back to Chicago. thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Matilda -- my fav -- is at Kramerbooks, or was. If anyone has rare Goose Island, it might be Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont. I know the beer manager is a fan.

Justin Rude: That's it for us. Have a great weekend, chatters. Let's do this again soon. How does next week sound?

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile