Bristol Palin to 'Dancing with the Stars'?; 'Lost' set auctioned, Scott Pilgrim; Tiger Woods divorce; much more -- Celebritology Live

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney
Thursday, August 26, 2010; 2:00 PM

Jen Chaney: I'm here. You're here. Lindsay Lohan is out of rehab. Let's chat!

Bristol Palin on Dancing w/the Stars?!?!?: Okay, I'm a very live-and-let-live kind of person who tries not to judge. But has anyone in the history of America gotten more rich and famous based on being a pregnant teen? At a certain point (Magazine covers, fashion spreads, tv acting gigs, now DWTS) isn't it a little gross/unseemly to glamorize a life situation that severely hampers the dreams of most teen girls - not gives them fame and fortune?http://www.movieline.com/2010/08/breaking-bristol-palin-joins-dancing-with-the-stars.php

Jen Chaney: Our Celebritology contributor Sarah Hughes is working on a post on this as we speak.I think the casting of "Dancing With the Stars," in general, is further evidence of the unavoidable, pending apocalypse.I don't know about getting famous just for being a pregnant teen -- the fact that she happens to be the daughter of one of the most polarizing figures in American culture (and I'm clearly referring to Todd Palin here) has something to do with it, too.Between Bristol Palin and The Situation, though, DWTS is clearly shooting for the ... um ... stars?

Misnomer?: It says you are a celebrity blogger, but that sounds more like a celebrity who blogs than someone who blogs about celebrities. By the way, when the word blog was first being used I did my best to prevent it from catching on. I failed.

Jen Chaney: Actually, I blog more about pop culture and Liz blogs on the celebrity side of things. But she's on maternity leave so I have the whole entertainment-y ball of wax right now.And yes, it's too bad you didn't stop this whole blog thing from catching fire. You obviously didn't do enough to bring this whole Twitter thing to a screeching halt either.

What gives? wheres the chat?: harumph!

Jen Chaney: I'm here. Calm down. All is well.

Jen Chaney: Sorry, guys. You weren't seeing the chat because of a technical issue that is now resolved.This is what happens when producer Paul has the audacity to take vacation. Anyway, let's carry on...

the lost auction: Did you bid on anything, Jen?Also, favorite thing on Season 6 DVD is Ben and the Dharma Guys, but seeing Jim Burrows discussing the end of Cheers in the doc about ending the last season.

Jen Chaney: I tried to bid. I bid on the pilot screenplay, on Boone's personal effects (I know, so predictable) and at least one other thing, but it was completely futile. Everything escalated to well over $1,000 and, much as I love "Lost," I just can't afford that.I know that's shocking considering that I wrote and blog for a living, but really, it's true!And agreed on the DVD. I loved that Burrows and other TV vets talked about ending their series and they incorporated that into the documentary. There is so much good stuff on those DVDs that I couldn't even begin to touch on it all in my review. Which you can read here, by the way, if you're interested.

Don't you mean: CaRm down? This is the Celebritolgy chat, right?

Jen Chaney: Exactly what I meant.

Charlie and Mel: Just curious why Charlie Sheen's transgressions, which are in many ways similar to Mel Gibson's, haven't resulted in Charlie being subject to the same public loathe-fest, esp. since both men appear to have substance abuse issues as well?

Jen Chaney: Interesting question.I think, at least in part, it's because of the language Gibson uses (or at least allegedly uses). When he was arrested a few years ago, he made derogatory comments toward women and about Jews. And during his audio tirades, there were numerous ethnic and racial slurs.That seems to tip the scales for people. It's one thing to have alleged domestic violence issues and a substance abuse problem. But using that kind of language betrays, at least for some, an even darker side of one's nature that people have a hard time forgiving.Readers, what do you think?

Lost Season 6: Hi. With the DVD out now any plans to do a discussion on it?

Jen Chaney: We hadn't planned to, unless we're overwhelmed by reader demand. Which I kind of doubt we will be, especially not by certain readers who don't care for the "Lost." (Looking at you, epjd. )

The "New" Chat System: The "refresh" button still doesn't work. It's 2:20, I keep hitting refresh, and it still says "Total Responses: 3" at the top of the page. So unless Jen hasn't written anything since 2:10, methinks you still have a problem with this software...

Jen Chaney: Sorry to hear this. I just checked and it looks OK to me...

Can you announce if this is cancelled for today? Thanks.: Is this cancelled?

Jen Chaney: Not cancelled!

The Lohan Pool: I've got October 1 in the office Lohan Pool for the date Lindsay falls off the wagon. Cruel? Perhaps. Lucrative? I hope so.

Jen Chaney: Are you honestly doing an office pool? That is cruel but fascinating.Feel free to e-mail me offline, if you're willing. I'd love to talk to you about this (jen.chaney@wpost.com).

Lost mystique: I'm another one of those who never got why Lost had such a following -- b/c I'd never watched Lost. FInally, after SOOO much chat about it here, I went to Wikipedia and read the synopsis. Kinda wish I would have watched it now, although it strikes me as a cross between "Lord of the Flies" and "Cast Away" -- both of which I absolutely hated.

Jen Chaney: Oh, you can still watch! I'll loan you my copy of the complete series collection. Then we can get together and play a rousing game of senet once you're done watching!

Bristol on DWTS: I too was thinking that Bristol going on DWTS was another sign that the end of civilization is near. But what does it say that a few hours later I'm thinking I'll have to turn in to see how she does?

Jen Chaney: I think it says that the end of civilization is near and that it's entirely our fault.As human beings, we hate the car accident but love to gaze at the wreckage.

I thought rehab was 28 days like the Sandra Bullock movie? : Hi, I thought rehab was 28 days like the Sandra Bullock movie? What's up with LiLo?

Jen Chaney: In Lohan's case it was supposed to be 90 days, per the previous judge's sentence. She got out in less time because the people at UCLA recommended that she didn't need to do further in-patient treatment. (I also suspect that the cost may have been an issue.)It sounds like her out-patient treatment will still be somewhat rigorous, with plenty of regular drug tests and lots of therapy sessions. We'll see how she does.

LiLo pool: I'm not in the office that's doing the pool, but count me in for a (virtual) $10 that LiLo falls off the wagon by Labor Day. Her joke of a jail sentence and even bigger joke of "rehab" do NOT bode well. Why didn't they keep her in rehab for the full 90 days?

Jen Chaney: Labor Day? Wow, you guys have very low expectations. I hope she lasts longer than that, for her own health. Also, so I don't have to blog about her going back to rehab or jail over the Labor Day holiday weekend.

Gibson v Sheen: The reason is pretty clear: Gibson is a worlwide mega super star. Sheen isn't in his realm whatsoever. For that matter, neither would his more famous dad be. The bigger star you are, the more talk there is about you - good or bad.

Jen Chaney: That's very true. But I also think the seemingly universal ill will toward Gibson -- at least right now -- has a lot to do with the perception that he is racist and sexist, or at least uses language that suggests it.I do think that was the straw for most people. Most individuals can be forgiving of substance abusers and even people in unsavory domestic abuse situations. Add in that other element though, and that's three strikes, kind of.Not saying it's right, wrong or that Gibson is even as he is being portrayed right now. I'm just explaining how I think the public perceives him, versus how Sheen is perceived.

Lost DVD: If I don't want to rent every Lost Season 6 DVD and just get the essential extras (best commentaries, the Hurley epilogue), which discs should I put in my Netflix Queue?

Jen Chaney: Disc 1 -- that has "LA X," with the best of the four commentaries, from Damon and Carlton -- and disc 5, which contains all the extras, including the epilogue.I'm not sure if you can get the extra disc that comes with the complete collection on netflix. I could barely get it in my actual box set, as it was buried in such a sneaky hiding place.

The difference between Sheen and Gibson : I think the major reason for why they are treated differently is that Sheen has never tried to hide the fact that he's a party boy/loose cannon. (Remember his name coming up during Heidi Fleiss's legal troubles.) That's not to excuse domestic violence, but no one ever thought Charlie was a choirboy.Mel, on the other hand, spent years crafting an image of a deeply religious guy and loving father of many (seven, was it?) who only played a loose cannon in the screen. Then there came the incident with the female cop, coupled with an anti-Semitic screed, followed by leaving his wife of many years for a much younger gal, followed by allegations of domestic violence. So Mel doesn't get a pass because he is shown to be a fraud.By the way, how long was Lindsay in rehab? When I did it years ago, it was 28 days. She spent, what, two weeks?

Jen Chaney: That is an excellent point that I neglected to raise. Gibson did indeed have an impeccable reputation, and he is known for being very religious,as you say. So -- at least after that arrest back in '06 -- his behavior came as a bit of a shock. The fact that he directed the most lucrative movie about Jesus ever made also should not be ignored here.And yes, Lohan spent about two weeks. But she's also be in rehab before. So if you add up all the times, MAYBE you get to 28? You know, it's sort of like transferring credits from one college to the next. Or something.

When "friends" blab about super-secret celeb weddings: So the stars of "True Blood" got married on Saturday and have elected to keep the ceremony and pics under wraps. (Not even info on who designed the dress.) Clearly they want their privacy. So what is the protocol when guests tell all to the tabs? i.e. is someone really a friend if they divulge info the couple has gone out of their way to keep private?[I'd link to the online excerpt of Carrie Preston (Arlene) talking to Us Magazine, but it's the print version that has the details]

Jen Chaney: Did Preston say anything terribly revelatory in the piece?Look, I think they can only expect their guests to stay mum on certain details if the guests know that's the expectation. Now, if Paquin and Moyer specifically told all of their friends and family not to talk to the media and they did anyway, then they have every right to be angry or frustrated.This is one of those times when non-famous people should feel lucky. It's hard enough planning a wedding without worrying about who might leak the name of the florist to Popeater or something.

The Douglas Divorce: How sad is it that Michael and Diandra Douglas are STILL dragging each other through the mud?!?

Jen Chaney: It is sad. I do wonder whether Michael really agreed to give her the "Wall Street" money based on their agreement. It seems like an insane thing to agree to (or demand) but if it was in the papers and he signed off, that's why they're still hashing it out in court.Really a shame, though, especially given his health problems.

Mens Wear Dept, Tysons Corner: Folks, don't be too hard on Bristol Palin. Think of her appearance on DWTS as auditioning for a new husband.

Jen Chaney: A new husband? She never had an old one. Maybe just a new situation. Maybe she can strike up a relationship with The Situation, and together they can promote vodka that contains protein.

gibson vs. sheen: Was sheen ever convicted/accused of domestic violence? I just thought he was a jerk to women - and those women seemingly knew exactly what they were in for. He never said he was a good guy...

Jen Chaney: In the most recent incident with his current wife, Brooke Mueller, yes he was accused of domestic violence. She later tried to withdraw charges, though.He does not have a long history of domestic violence or anything. Just a sordid past, shall we say.

Kim Kardashian, OCD?: OK, I admit it. I watched an episode of Keeping up with the Kartrashians. Apparently Kim bought an immense, brand-new mansion and won't let anybody touch anything. She agreed to a housewarming party and put up barriers so nobody could go into any of the rooms, or walk on the grass, and yelled at her family for walking on the grass.Melodrama for TV, or just plain nuts?

Jen Chaney: Probably both (I haven't seen the episode), with the balance tilting toward intentional melodrama. Reality TV is not real. I think that's common knowledge, but I am amazed that some people (not you, since you're obviously questioning this) still think it's presenting genuine, unscripted behavior.

What do you look for at the Emmys?: Overall I find it to be a pretty lame award show. (Too many categories, not a lot of suspense, so many nominee snubs I don't really care about the nominees, etc.) What are the interesting things that experts like yourself look for? (Eye rolling by folks who don't think they are on camera?) Will the backstage streaming camera make things more interesting?

Jen Chaney: I am going to write something about the Emmys, hopefully for later today -- or perhaps tomorrow -- in the blog.I'm a funny person to ask because I love awards shows, for reasons that even I have trouble explaining. This year, I am particularly interested in who is going to win in a lot of the drama categories and -- most of all -- the best talk show/variety category. (So pulling for "Conan" there.)I also like the Emmys because I'm usually not stressing the way I usually during the Oscars. I can actually have a glass of wine, maybe Tweet a little and just watch the glamorous antics.

Levi Johnson: I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the fact that he's filed papers to run for office in Wasilla for a reality tv show. Don't we all want to watch that train wreak?

Jen Chaney: I still am confused about all this, to be honest, because I thought the deadline for filing for mayor at least had already passed.I have a feeling he will end up running for some far more minor office.And I honestly don't want to watch it. Why watch it when I can follow what's happening by scanning goosip blogs and save minutes, nay hours, of personal time?

Emmy Awards: Will this be jolly good fun or a tidal wave of dreck with Jimmy Fallon hosting and his writers culling the best Tweets from the public for some "comic" relief?

Jen Chaney: That's another thing I'm curious to see: how Fallon does as host. I think the funniest stuff on his show derives from the way he uses social media, so the Tweet ideas was a good idea that, hopefully, will pay off.I don't think he's quite as strong in his monologues, so he hope he keeps the "I'll just stand here and crack jokes" stuff to a minimum. He does have a genuine enthusiasm that I hope will at least provide some "Isn't Jimmy adorable?" moments.

God Bless Elin: I have so much respect for her. Unfortunately I married a similar man, and no, I'm not getting $100 mil out of it. But I like that she didn't blab the whole way to the bank. I appreciated her honesty and grace in the interview and I suspect she's going to stay out of the spotlight and be a fabulous mom. It is a hellish situation to live through and she's a model to the rest of us.

Jen Chaney: Sorry to hear you found yourself in a similar circumstance. How awful.I suppose some people think she should never have talked to People at all. But I am guessing her approach was to do one interview -- and thereby avoid being hounded for months with offers -- and then put it to rest.I am not sure if it will be that easy for her because she, too, is a recognizable name and face. But I agree that she has handled this with some dignity and grace.

Reality TV - not real: That's what bugs me so much about "reality" TV. Bad enough that there are people out there who behave like this, and aren't ashamed of it. But worse that there are people who are willing to ACT like this is their normal behavior, to have people think this of them, just for the exposure. It's one thing for an actor to be a psycho, and then go on Leno and talk about how they got into character. But for one's whole life to be the creation of a really unsavory persona, just for the questionable fame? It's sort of appalling. I suppose I like to think that ALL of us want to put our best foot forward in public. It disturbs me that not everyone wants this, and that there are people actively seeking the opposite, even lying/pretending to the goal. It borders on sociopathy.

Jen Chaney: I know, most people want to make the best impression possible if they are in the public eye, right?Here's the thing, though. Take someone like The Situation. That guys gets paid to hook up with chicks, show off his abs and drink too much. And this year, he's going to make $5 million from his MTV salary, appearances, endorsement deals, etc.He's basically set for life. So, if he chooses, he can act silly on a popular TV show, then spend the rest of his life hardly working.

Will Forte out at SNL: Who would you fire from the show?

Jen Chaney: I'm actually sorry to see that Will is going. I think he did some funny stuff on the show.Honestly, at least based on the sketches they get to do, the only indispensable people on the show right now are Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg and Bill Hader. The others may have some talent, but they're not getting a chance to show it off very effectively.And Darrell Hammond -- who is barely on the show at this point -- needs to move on. He is enormously, enormously talented but again, not getting to show it much.

Happy day-before-Jen's-birthday: You didn't think we'd forgotten, did you?

Jen Chaney: Of course not. Especially when I dropped big 'ol hints in a public online discussion. I'm incorrigible that way.Macauley Culkin -- who turns 30 (30!!!!) today -- and I are planning a huge celebration. And you're all invited.I have to sign off now, but thanks for the questions and your patience with today's technical issues. See you here again next week at 2 p.m.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile