Got Plans? - Should hosts foot the bill for bar parties?

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
The Going Out Gurus
Thursday, August 26, 2010; 1:00 PM

Justin Rude: Welcome to the show chatters, lets get started.

Justin Rude: Just a quick FYI, Food truck fans: As you may be aware, some local BIDs, ANCs and local business groups have fighting to restrict Food Truck Operation in DC. Yesterday had been the deadline for letting the DCRA ( Food Trucks out on the street.

Restaurants extending their Restaurant Week menus?: Could you post a list of the restaurants that are extending their Restaurant Week deals beyond the Aug. 22 end of Restaurant Week?

Justin Rude: Like this one?

Good plans for this evening, outdoors plz in DC area: I need something to do, hopefully outside? Or with an outdoor aspect to it. Hopefully crowd aged 25-35ish. thanks guys-

Stephanie Merry: The weather is perfect, right? I'm heading to the Bullpen for a drink before heading to the ballpark to cheer for the Nats. Care to join?

20005 lunch!: Tom didn't take my question, so I'm lobbing it over to the gurus. I'll be in a class right near by Post building on Friday. Where should my co-worker and I go for a tasty, but quick lunch? Oh, and happy hour after class? Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: Well, I'm a fan of Casa Blanca, a little Salvadoran/Mexican spot on Vermont between K and L streets. Of course, there is no record of its existence (ie Web site), so you'll just have to trust me, won't you? A couple of other options: The Ascot buffet is a pretty bang-up spot for Indian and Juice Joint for tofu, wheatgrass, etc.And we attract a lot of food trucks in the area. Check out our aggregator of their Twitter feeds to see which one will be around.

Fritz Hahn: Fojol Brothers are always in the area on Fridays. DC Slices, too.After work, there's always Stan's Lounge at Vermont and K -- very old-school office crowd. You'll see why it makes an appearance in multiple George Pelecanos novels. Mackey's Irish Pub has a nice patio. But honestly, if you're here, do what I do and walk the three blocks north to ChurchKey.

Pizza in NOVA: With all the new pizza places that recently opened, what's the number #1 pick right now?

Justin Rude: If anything the new openings have made it harder to decide. Among the new places, I look to Orso, but its hard to unseat the Italian Store.

Post-rehearsal dinner bar in Gallery Place: I'm getting married at the end of October and my guests will be staying at the Hotel Monaco in Gallery Place. I'm looking for a fun bar where I can direct all of my friends the night before the wedding, post-rehearsal dinner. I am looking for something that will fit a big group, possibly where we could reserve some a space, that is in walking distance from the hotel. Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Iron Horse Tap Room is huge and one block south. I'd do that -- Skee-Ball, shuffleboard and multiple bars. Most importantly, you can reserve private space.

Gift Ideas for a News Junkie: Hi! I'm wondering if you have any gift ideas for a news & politics junkie. My boyfriend loves Sunday morning news shows like Fareed Zakaria GPS, Meet the Press, This Week and The McLaughlin Group. I thought about getting tickets to one of those shows for his birthday, but none of them tape in front a live audience. I'd prefer to share an experience with him instead of giving him a material gift. But I'm at a loss! Surely there has to be alternate options in a town like this...

Stephanie Merry: If he's never been to see the Capitol Steps, that might be a good option. The group is sort of a Washington institution and they specialize in musical comedy related to current events. Yes, it's nerd humor (Cue the "Only in D.C." plus eyeroll), but it really is funny!

Brunch Plus: Hi Gogs, do you know of brunch places that have more than breakfast items? Some in the bunch do want eggs eetc, but some want "real" food. This would be a noon to 2ish thing, DC or VA is best. Thanks!

Alex Baldinger: Many places will offer their full menu at brunch, but if I had to pick one spot, how about Red Rocks Pizza? I say that because if you're like me and often struggle with the eternal breakfast item vs. lunch item debate at the brunch table, the Sunrise Pizza (a fried egg, hash browns and parmesan atop a brick-oven pizza crust) is the perfect compromise. Chatters, any other lunch-for-brunch recommendations?

Escaping on Saturday: Help! Must avoid/escape the swarms descending into town for Glenn Beck's "historic" day. Will take any suggestions - either inside or outside the beltway.

Alex Baldinger: Anywhere on the Green or Yellow lines?

Things to do without a lot of walking: Love the chats! My in-laws are coming to visit in late Sept and my mother-in-law is having some foot trouble. She is not going to be able to walk a lot and probably can't do much standing either. My original thought was to see a show, but my father-in-law is very hard of hearing and won't wear his hearing aid, so I'm sort of at a loss for what to do with them besides eat while they are here. My only other thought is a museum with IMAX so that we can sit down if she gets tired. Any ideas? Thanks!

Amy Orndorff: I am going to second Steph's idea of going to a baseball game (though I would encourage the Orioles over the Nats, but that is a personal thing).If you want to see a show I suggest Synetic Theater's wordless "King Arthur," which opens Sept. 30.

Nerd Nite: I'd love to hear from anyone who made it into the lectures last Friday if it was worth it. We waited over and hour then couldn't see/hear anything that was going on inside so we just left. I've been to other ones and it was pretty great, but this one was just horrible enough to make me question going again.The Beirgarten was pretty awesome, though, and made a great Plan B.

Fritz Hahn: I'm curious about this too, as I couldn't make it.But I'd advise against boycotting because of one special event that was hyped waaaaay more than usual. I think the all-beer lineup and the prospect of bands and beer pairings might have been too much of a draw.

Dredd: I notice you guys hype DJ Dredd a lot, and did so in your Nightlife Agenda for this week. Are you going to the same events I went to? I went to Close to the Edge at the Black Cat, and it was, rather than being "peerless", completely boring. It was pretty empty around 12, most of the crowd having left out of frustration I assume at the bad music, and there was a lot of sitting on the benches at the side throughout the evening, unlike anything I've seen with other DJs at the BC. And a friend who was with me that night also went to his Prince v. MJ event and had a similar reaction. Very loungey, not dancey music, and certainly not a "festive and fiercely funky night on the dance floor." So where are these great Dredd events occurring, because I wanted my $7 back after I went.......

Fritz Hahn: I can't speak to Close 2 the Edge, because I haven't been in a while, but every Prince-vs- dance party I've been to has been packed, lively and fun. (That said, I like the Black Cat's main room as a venue for a hip-hop dance party over the vastness of the 9:30 Club, but I understand that when you sell out the Cat multiple times, you have to get bigger.)

Buying crab bushels?: Hello! Hoping you might be able to help. My parents will be in town labor day weekend and we'd like to do a crab fest. We can't make it out to Annapolis/Riva for Cantler's/Mike's, so we were thinking we'd pick up a bushel of crabs and have fun in the backyard. Do you have recs for good places to get a bushel of crabs? Any advice you could provide would be great. It'll be our first time buying crab in Maryland. Really enjoy your chats! Thank you!

Amy Orndorff: I've always had good experiences at Cameron's in Rockville.

Hair help: I've been trying to muster up the courage all season long to cut my long hair into something short and summery. With Labor Day right around the corner, I guess if I'm ever going to get this done, now's the time. The problem is that my old hairstylist moved, and I don't want to make such a drastic hair change without a tried and true stylist. Any recommendations for a great local salon to help me update my look? I'm in Fairfax, but am willing to travel in exchange for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that my hair's in good hands.

Alex Baldinger: How about Hair Expressions in Rockville? It's a Paul Mitchell affiliated salon where you'll get discount haircuts by future pros, without having to shell out huge bucks. Don't worry, there's plenty of supervision from instructors so you're not going to get butchered, and you'll save some dough in the process. Chatters, any other suggestions?

Sunday Brunch: Hi! I have a college roommate coming in from town and I want to take her to a really nice but not overly expensive brunch in the Georgetown area, any suggestions?

Justin Rude: How about the brunch at Leopold's? They don't do everything perfectly, but their breakfast is close. And its tucked-away location adds a nice European charm.

Open bars on Friday in D.C.?: I remember when you used to be able to find a ladies open bar on any given weekend night in D.C., but I can't seem to track one down for this Friday. Bar DC's website says there are some, but then the venues' sites say something different. What gives? And where can I find free drinks this Friday?? Please advise :)

Fritz Hahn: We are seeing fewer and fewer open bar parties. That's your answer. Promoters talk about more competition, fewer people showing up -- they have to make money somehow.That said, I'm writing about two open-bar happy hours in tomorrow's Weekend Section, both of which I recently road tested. On Fridays, I'm a big fan of Bar 7's, which means free rail drinks from 5 to 7. Just get there early, because the place gets crowded fast.

Chess: After reading the previews in the Post, I really want to see Chess at the Signature Theatre. But really, $77 a ticket? I'm a poor recent graduate, so that's not going to happen. Do they have any special deals that you Gurus know of? Or do I need to just befriend a cast member? :)

Lavanya Ramanathan: Signature doesn't offer an under-30 discount it seems, but you can try for rush tickets, which means you show up an hour before any show and you have a shot at getting $30 tickets. (Since the review was great, you'll have much better luck waiting a few weeks to try this.)Or you could try to win tickets this Saturday at a scavenger hunt Signature is hosting; it starts at 10 a.m.

Real Food for Brunch: How about dim sum. No sunny side up eggs at a Chinese restaurant.

Justin Rude: A good suggestion. Hollywood East in Wheaton begins their weekend Dim Sum service at 10 a.m.

For Hair Help: I'm in Fairfax too, and have been going to Amy at PR & Partners in Oakton for years. She is efficient, yet will really LISTEN and take her time with your cut. She never rushes. She mentors apprentices there as well. Her cut should run you $75. I'd take a seasoned stylist over a student any day!

Alex Baldinger: Passing along for our haircut hunter.

Last-minute dining: My husband and I rarely eat out. But when we do, it's because we have nothing else to eat in the house and only realized that about 30 minutes before we want to eat dinner. Therefore checking online and searching just takes too long. Can you recommend a go-to place in Rockville that we should always have on our minds? Only requirement be that it be inexpensive and toddler-friendly. Please help me get Cici's out of my husband's system!

Amy Orndorff: What kind of food are you in the mood for? Chains aside, when it comes to a cheap eats in Rockville I am a big fan of A&J's Chinese restaurant on 355. Very inexpensive and family friendly... plus, I don't think I have ever met a toddler who doesn't love noodles.

News Junkie: Ummm...how about the Newseum? They tape ABC's "This Week" show in the studio there on Sunday's. And besides just a visit, the gift shop there seems like a no-brainer to find something for a news junkie.

Stephanie Merry: Another idea for the birthday boy.

DC food trucks: Please tell me why restaurant/business owners are so threatened by the appearance of food trucks on the street. Yes, I understand that they have to compete for business, lose customers (who may look for variety in their options so may not patronize a place every single day but instead every other day). Really, what is the threat? It might push places not to settle for mediocrity and instead make the commercial centers of DC a good place to eat lunch. Long live the food trucks!

Justin Rude: I think there are some legitimate, if specific, concerns. If I owned a bakery I wouldn't be too thrilled if the cupcake truck rolled up and parked outside my storefront. After all, they pay property taxes and can't just move on in search of greener parking spots if the crowds aren't gathering.In general though I agree with you.

re: last minute dining: Anything. We'll definitely give the noodle place a try. And you're right: the little guy loves noodles. Thanks!

Amy Orndorff: Hooray!

RE: NEWSEUM: This Week is filmed without an audience, but you can peek into the studio. They also do Inside Media programs (live with an audience) on weekends - check out the schedule on their website. An annual membership is $75, which I think is a great deal.

Stephanie Merry: And some more intel for the news junkie boyfriend.

21st Birthday: (So for 3 weeks now I've been hoping to get an answer from you, oh wise GOGs, but now I really need it. My birthday is next week - it's crunch time!!) My friend and I plan to have a joint celebration, but we have no clue where to go! We'd like to do dinner with about 10 people, referably in Georgetown. Then we'd like to go out to party with a larger group (also preferably in Georgetown, at bars rather than clubs). Do you have suggestions for good places to celebrate, and possibly be able to get a table or something like that?

Lavanya Ramanathan: Okay, it's not Georgetown proper, because, well, 10 people for dinner is a tall order. But pretty much everyone hearts Surfside in Glover Park; hit the deck, order a pitcher of margaritas, and eat fish tacos. It's kind of a great, last-ditch summery thing to do; maybe it's too casual for what you're looking to do, but it should fit in your 21-year-old budget. Then, how about Gin and Tonic for a little bit of a clubbier environment, or Breadsoda if you want to play pool, Wii or darts?

N outing Casa Blanca!: C'mon Lavanya, you can't be telling the world about fab little Casa Blanca! It already gets pretty crowded some days, and if you guys keep blasting it to the world, we locals will no longer be able to have the hideaway to ourselves!

Lavanya Ramanathan: Casa Blanca will be free of the riffraff.

Annapolis tour: What would you say is the best tour in Annapolis? I've done the Navy Academy before so we're looking for something else. Thanks!

Amy Orndorff: Okay, don't laugh, but if you are into ghosts I strongly suggest the Annapolis Ghost Tours.

Washington, DC: Can Amy quit giving us personal advice on her favorite baseball teams and cheesesteaks? She has the ability to reach a new level of annoying. Or better yet can we just give her back and have Julia return?

Amy Orndorff: Ow. You aren't my younger brother by any chance...

For long to short hair: I go to Jenny B. at Kindle & Boom in Rockville-it's on Halpine, in Congressional Plaza. She took my hair from waist-length to a Louise Brooks bob, and then a couple months later, to a pixie. Amazing with short haircuts, and hair transformations. She can also handle my wavy, unruly hair with no issues. I've followed her from one salon to another, and wouldn't dream of going to anyone else.

Alex Baldinger: And another.

Rockville go-to place: It's probably a good idea to have a handful of go-to places. Addie's is good for the basics. Tara Thai is also good. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good pizza places up there, but there must be one.

Amy Orndorff: I am a fan of both of these places, and I think they both make great places for a date, but the key words were inexpensive and toddler friendly so I went the very cheap route.But thanks for bringing up the pizza idea. How about Armands?

Solo Male: My bf is going to be occupied with his parents all weekend, so I'm basically doing stuff solo this whole weekend. Any things I should check out currently? Male, early 30's, like it all food-wise. I don't get to enough cultural events that I should, so that would be something of potential interest. I'll be in the Dupont area but have no problem traversing the city - to take advantage of a gorgeous weekend. Thanks.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Columbia Heights Day is going to be awesome. Fritz will have a full rundown on its awesomeness tomorrow -- but I'll give you a preview: A "King and Queen of Columbia Heights" pageant (scenester kids, you know you want to win this); a vegan cupcake-eating contest; area bars, including Wonderland and Room 11, will be open and having specials; and Bloombars on 11th will be hosting a full day of activities that starts with 9 a.m. belly dancing, continues with a mid-day open mic, and ends with movie screenings at 2:30 a.m. till the sun comes up.

Wine bar space to rent for a par-tay?: I suppose they don't call you gurus for nothin'. Please help! My 30th birthday is in December, and because it falls during the holidays (and because I am a compulsive planner) I wanted to get started. I want to reserve a space, preferably in a DC wine bar or the like, for a Thursday night. I imagine there will be anywhere from 30-50 people stop by. I wanted to keep it classy because I would like to invite folks of all ages - hill staffers to law firm partners. BUT, I don't have the funds to pay for all of the alcohol, so I was hoping to pay for the room rental fee and some food and then make it a cash bar. Two questions - 1) is this tacky? and 2) what are some good locations you would recommend to do this without breaking the bank? Thanks for your help!

Fritz Hahn: There's nothing tacky about making people pay for their own drinks at a holiday/birthday party. A dear friend and I throw a holiday party every year at a bar, and we usually just buy some snacks/apps and put them out for early arrivals. (Since we bring a lot of people, we usually negotiate some drink specials, too, which is something you might want to keep in mind.)I'd certainly call about the lounge at Sonoma, which has that gorgeous fireplace. Vinoteca's upstairs lounge might be an option, too. And I've hosted events that size at Bourbon and Science Club, so I can vouch for them.

I know this is lowbrow...: but for the pizza questioner, zpizza is really good. The one on Duke in Alexandria makes great pies. Get the whole wheat crust (chewy and flavorful). I like the rusticas, and the provence is really good. OK, I am starving now.

Amy Orndorff: Good call! And if the Rockville family is still reading, there is one on the Pike.

Baseball: "I would encourage the Orioles over the Nats"Amy, we are disappointed.

Amy Orndorff: Give me a break, I grew up cheering for Cal Ripken Jr. I can't abandon them now.

DC Happy Hours that extend till closing?: Hi - I went to the mighty pint for their 8pm till closing $2 22oz Tuesday "happy hour" deal. It was the first time I can recall a place having specials till closing. Are there any other bars (besides brasserie beck) that have a deal similar to mighty pints (i.e. cheap beer) until closing?

Fritz Hahn: Madhatter has $1 mugs of beer from 8 to close.Strangely enough, last time I was there, a drunk girl in the bathroom line threw up all over the hallway.

Saturday Evening: What's a free-to-cheap non-bar or club option for a small group of mid twenty somethings on Saturday evening? We like the outdoors, music, and good conversation spots. So far we've rejected any of the free Shakespeare plays in the area as not the best option, and are stuck for further ideas.

Stephanie Merry: Have you read Nightlife Agenda yet? Fritz, Malitz and Rhome have all kinds of ideas. I'm personally intrigued by the Fez and Mustache party, though sadly I have a wedding that night....

Lunch in Bethesda: Want to take myself out for lunch in Bethesda as a treat for working on something difficult during the day. Any suggestions for a light vegetarian lunch in downtown Bethesda (walking distance from the Metro)? I was thinking either Le Pain Quotidien or Mia's.

Justin Rude: I would also consider Passage to India, which has a nice buffet with good vegetarian options, and Rock Creek Restaurant, which has a lunch menu with a few nice meatless selections.

Difficult Mother: You guys are awesome so I hope you can help me out. I'm trying to find something fun for my parents to do on the weekend, however my mother does not like jazz, crowds, noise and is not a huge museum person... she also isn't a huge theater person although she does like Shakespeare, etc. They're already done the free Shakespeare and I don't know what else to suggest. HELP! :)

Stephanie Merry: Wow. She is really high maintenance, isn't she? One idea: The open rehearsal for All's Well That Ends Well.

Amy Orndorff: How about a nice, quiet walk through one of Washington's many gardens? Hillwood and Dumbarton Oaks come immediately to mind.

Baseball: The Orioles of the Cal era are not the Orioles of the Angelos era. Time for a change!(Sincerely, a former Os fan, and still Cal fan but now a Nats season ticket holder in Petworth)

Stephanie Merry: Like!

Amy Orndorff: I know, I know. I just have a hard time letting go of all my good memories of Camden Yards. You have to admit is a beautiful stadium.

Dancing: Gurus! I submitted a question earlier, but I want to re-communicate how desperate I am for an answer!My friend is coming into town for her mom's 50th birthday and they want to go out dancing on Saturday night. They want a true dance club experience, not a restaurant or lounge. Key things for them are a fun atmosphere, a variety of music, nothing too young and trendy so that her mom doesn't feel too out of place. I literally have no idea where to take them!Please help!

Lavanya Ramanathan: So, can you tell me a little more about Moms? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, "How MILF-y is this mom?"I think the answer is really dependant on her comfort level. Does she want to wear jeans, or is she Botox-ed up and ready to party?I'm really digging myself a grave here, I know...

Patio bars: Any good patio bars/outdoor seating in Fairfax or Vienna area other than Coastal Flats or Greveys? Looking for a place with a bit of a Friday happy hour scene to hang out for a few drinks tomorrow in this awesome weather. Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Dogwood Tavern in Falls Church is another to put on your list. And the Sweetwater Tavern in Merrifield.

Could I disagree?: It is the height of classless throwing a party for yourself and making other people pay. Host something, and provide for your guests, or get a small group of friends and cook for them at your house. You just cannot invite people to something and make them pay for themselves. Ugh.

Lavanya Ramanathan: with fancy cupcakes, live music, and yes, a cash bar. But it was such a great party, that really, no one cared...

Georgetown: For a nice but not too expensive brunch in Georgetown, how about Cafe La Ruche? Love their brunch.

Stephanie Merry: I've had a surprisingly good brunch at Papa Razzi, too (although, like Justin, I'm a Leopold's fan for breakfast).

Pizza Places: I know people will be snobby about this because it's not "hip" but the pizza at Pizza Pino (I've been to the one on H NW and another I think on F I near metro center) it seriously really good pizza. You don't have to be from NYC to know good pizza, but I happen to be from the Bronx and spent time in Jersey before moving to DC, and this is very close to the real deal. Not gourmet or trendy, but good, greasy pizza.

Fritz Hahn: Okay, I'm tempted by this. What's the crust like?

Birthday Party: Hi Gurus!!-- I am having PhD/birthday celebration for myself tomorrow and am looking for an after late dinner option-- i.e. we'll be headed out around 10:30, 11:00. We are about 10-15 African American women in our late 20s--professional--looking for a similar crowd and current hip-hop/r &b music. Any options? I could get a table but would prefer not to. Thanks in advance!!!

Fritz Hahn: Lounge of III is one of my favorite spots for something like this. It's more low-key than the Park or similar spots, but a good crowd, great music, fun vibe and no table-purchase required. Bar 7 is another good option. They get slammed for the open-bar happy hour from 5 to 7, but it lightens up until midnight or so. I might also call Jin and see what they're doing this weekend.

Re: Mom dancing: She is definitely fun, out-going, and up for anything. Not very MILF-y though....

Lavanya Ramanathan: just because it's her birthday and this is a town that you can wear sequins in and not get dirty looks.)

RE: CASH BAR BIRTHDAY: I have to agree that it's not a great idea. Maybe have something in your apartment? Or a friend's? What the writer proposes is definitely going to be considered tacky by at least some of the guests

Fritz Hahn: Can I ask a question here? If you invite a couple of friends out to dinner, do you pay for all of them yourself, or do you maybe buy a nice bottle of wine and let them pay for what they eat?Otherwise, you're asserting that only people who can afford to pick up $800 bar tabs should throw parties in public, and the rest of us should hide out at home.

Eighteenth Street Lounge for Mom: Good luck! The bouncers there don't let older people in. And I am talking late 30s.

Lavanya Ramanathan: "20-something bar."But I know what you're referring to, and yeah, it happens. My dad got turned away from an empty club (I will not name) in Georgetown. I'm kinda glad he didn't get in, but that's me.

Cash Birthdays: I've had friends reserve tables at clubs and ask for $40 from each person, which has rubbed me the wrong way, and other friends that have rented a space, provided snacks and left the drinks up to each person, which I thought was great. Being able to spend however much I want, on whatever drinks I want (table service doesn't provide this luxury) is definitely much better in my book. Personal opinion though.

Fritz Hahn: Yeah, I think asking for a minimum from friends is wrong, or asking them to chip in for a set fee. I think *requiring* people to pay to come to your party is tacky.

Re: $800 Bar Tabs: Miss Manners would agree with the poster who suggests that birthday parties should be paid for by the organizer. Other etiquette gurus are a little softer - if all friends agree (but then again, how would a friend not agree when asked) then it's OK. Considering I can't imagine a friend saying no, I can see Miss Manners and the original poster's point. If you're throwing a bash for you, pay for your guests.

Fritz Hahn: Another point of view.

re cash bar birthday: I think it also depends on what your friends do/have done. Several of my friends, upon turning 40, invited a bunch of friends (10-20) to dinner, usually at a fairly expensive restaurant (BTW, the friends could comfortably afford it, so there was no issue with that). And each time, the guests picked up the tab, paying for their own food and drinks and sharing the cost of the birthday person. We all went knowing that was the deal. In those circumstances, I don't think anyone considered it tacky. But maybe if you're inviting people who haven't shared that tradition, it could get dicey.

Fritz Hahn: And another.

Re: Cash Bar Birthday: I agree with Fritz. If I was invited to a birthday/holiday party at a wine bar that spanned many hours, I would in no way think that the host should pay for an open bar during that period. That's nuts!

Fritz Hahn: And yet another.

DC and Sequins: Maybe I've been here too long, but when I got here 5 years ago, when ever I wore sequins I got dirty looks. A lot of dirty looks! Heck, I wore sequins to Polyesters and people looked at me weird. If DC is changing though, that's great!

Lavanya Ramanathan: It is changing. Honestly. I also got dirty looks back in the day -- for not wearing pantyhose, for wearing minidresses, etc. Have you checked out Alexandria Garcia's D.C. fashion video series on the Post, called Scene In? It's really documenting the shift. I'm a sucker for the U Street one.

Re: Dogwood Tavern: It's nice enough to sit & have a drink outside, but the food is really, really sub-par.

Fritz Hahn: I don't think I've ever gone beyond wings, there, honestly. Just beer.

Clubs turning away older...: Would be a violation of DC's human rights law.

Fritz Hahn: And ladies nights, too! And dress codes! And ...

RE: CASH BAR AGAIN: To answer Fritz's question, it's pretty common among my group of friends to plan a birthday dinner where everyone other than the bday girl/boy splits the bill. But I think that's acceptable only when you're talking about close friends, a smallishoup and where it's somewhat reciprocal (many/most of the people in the group do the same thing). What the writer proposes is inviting a large group of people involving work colleagues as well as personal friends. That's a whole different situation in my opinion. I'm not saying I'm "right" and you're "wrong" but the writer asked for opinions. I'm just giving mine.

Fritz Hahn: I like this.

Re: Cash bars: Fritz, to answer your question if I invite people to dinner, am I supposed to pick up the tab for all? Old-school and tradition would probably say "yes," especially if I specifically invited the people. Would you hold a birthday party at home for a large group and ask specifically charge each person for each drink they had? The problem is that nowadays, almost-mainstream acceptability is to host events and provide cash bar, for example. I think the best way to deal with a situation such as this is to be open and straightforward--and let people know that it's a cash bar. If you let people know upfront, they can decide what they want to do so there are no surprises. Just set the expectations clearly. It would be akin to hosting a dinner at one's home and making it clear it's pot-luck, so people should bring a dish.I think it was a nice gesture from the OP to rent the room and serve food for the event. Since alcohol can be expensive and people can drink a lot of it, why not just state it that way.Thanks

Fritz Hahn: Another good answer.

Prohibited Acts of Discrimination: Every individual shall have an equal opportunity to participate fully in the economic, cultural and intellectual life of the District and to have an equal opportunity to participate in all aspects of life, including, but not limited to, in employment, in places of public accommodation, resort or amusement, in educational institutions, in public service, and in housing and commercial space accommodations.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Ahhh. For the party with the Mom, print this out, take it along. Really, sometimes, just being nice and friendly goes a long way with a bouncer. It's not right to discriminate against an "older" person at a bar. And we haven't heard from one chatter saying they've seen it happen to them. Don't be afraid to go because of one comment.

Angry chatters: Just an observation: y'all have a few unhappy chatters. Over the past few months I've read complaints about chatters who are annoyed when people "submit early," Julia mentioning her wedding, Lavanya's ethnic background, and now Amy's opinions. Sadly I doubt that there is one petty person submitting all of these complaints and borderline offensive remarks. Lighten up folks, it's Thursday afternoon and those of us who are happy about that fact don't need your negativity!

Amy Orndorff: You just made my day. Thank you.

Justin Rude: And that shuts it down for us. Please join us again next week, folks. We promise we won't make you pay anything.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile