Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Greg Postel
Thursday, September 2, 2010; 1:00 PM

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

Greg Postel: Hi guys ! Let's hope so.Lot's to answer, so let's get to it.

DC to OC?: early Saturday morning. I assume it'll all be back to normal by then (normal for a three-day weekend, I know), right?

Greg Postel: but the beaches may be roughed up a bit

Saturday Picnic: Any chance Saturday picnics will be wet here in D.C.?

Greg Postel: Breezy and cool with scattered cumulus clouds (unrelated to Earl) behind the cold front.A fall like feel.

Eastern Shore: What's the likely impact of Earl on the Eastern Shore? I'm particularly interested in Salisbury, since that's where I live. Thanks!

Greg Postel: Rapidly improving Friday night.

dc: Will D.C. get rain from Earl?

Greg Postel: I doubt DC will see more than cirrus outriders and a north breeze.

hard winter tree pruning: Being from Boston, I was struck by the scale of devastation last winter along roads in the Washington area in terms of tree damage from the ice and snow. It was an unusually heavy snow season for the area and many trees were not able to handle it. I wonder if Earl's winds will be less damaging in terms of damage from trees because many of the weaker trees were already "pruned" or taken out by the snow last winter.

Greg Postel: but I'm really not a tree expert :) i.e., it may not matter.Just a thought.

Alexandria, VA: Saturday and Sunday will have highs around 80... bad weekend to go to the pool... will there be enough wind to get the kites up in the air for the kids... or will there be too much of Earl hanging around?

Greg Postel: pretty strong cold front.yes, there will be enough wind, and not too much.And it won't have anything to do with earl (technically it will have *something* to do with him, but for practical puposes, it's safe to say it'll be a non-earl, post cold front breeze).

D.C.: I keep seeing Web sites blaring that Earl is bearing down on the Carolinas with monstrous winds and ruinous rain...then I check weather.com and the 10 day forecast for Charleston, S.C., is sunny, pleasant, no rain, and delightful temps. Who do I believe? Thank you.

Greg Postel: Believe the Capital Weather Gang !(shameless plug) big waves, though. But, I expect tropical storm conditions there late tonight and early tomorrow morning, with huge waves, some storm surge, and coastal flooding.

Silver Spring to MA: I was thinking of going to MA (south coast) on Saturday and spending a long weekend plus. Would I be better putting this off? I do want to get some beach time in.

Greg Postel: Earl should have bypassed the region by Sat.but it will be breezy and cool, with roughed up beaches.good luck

Hurricane Earl: What is most recent forecast for Earl on Delmarva, especially Rehoboth, Lewes? Is it a good idea to get there this evening before rain hits tomorrow morning?

Greg Postel: if you have to go, I'd either leave 2nite or on Saturday. And it has been great so far.

Chincoteague: Not so much worried about winds for Friday night but what about the coastal flooding warnings affecting Chincoteague Island

Greg Postel: could be significant wave action, with several feet of surge possible.

fall weather: I realize this is hard to tell for sure, but when can we expect to see real autumn weather in the D.C. area? With temperatures climbing back into the 80s or higher next week, it seems like this is an endless summer, but not in the good way. Is there any way to tell (or educatedly guess) at when fall will get started for real?

Greg Postel: I'm pretty sure more 90s are coming.

Flight into DC from Europe: I'm supposed to fly into Dulles from Europe on Saturday, arriving around 2:30 p.m. - what's the likelihood that my flight will be delayed or canceled due to the storm?

Greg Postel: just have to wait and see.

Kiawah Island, S.C.: Why are many in the media reporting that Earl is "bearing down on the Carolinas"? I am staring at the ocean right now under sunny warm skies. Waves are slightly larger than normal but Earl has never threatened the middle South Carolina coast or even the Northern South Carolina coast. The only area threatened is the Outer Banks of N.C. which stick way out into the Atlantic. Inaccurate reporting is bad enough but why are these reports so general? I realize you don't speak for the entire media but thanks for taking my question...and complaint.

Greg Postel: that's why you should always tune in to the CAPITAL WEATHER GANG(yet another shameless plug)In this case, however, it will be a close call for the Outer Banks, so they should stay tuned.

New England: Is it still tracking to NE? I live in Portsmouth N.H. and am wondering how hard we'll be hit

Greg Postel: pretty early to tell what the radar will look like by then, but rain squalls with tropical storm force wind gusts are possible.

Strong cold front: Typically when you get a strong cold front, you get rain. Why aren't we getting any rain from the cold front--because of Earl? Thanks.

Greg Postel:

Food Production: How do hurricanes effect local seafood production and agriculture on the Delmarva?

Greg Postel: ahhh ... I really don't know.

Delmarva: Are you saying it's best to avoid Rehoboth/Lewes this weekend?

Greg Postel: It really depends on one thing:is it worth it for you ?

Flights out of Dulles: Hi,I'm scheduled to fly to Europe Friday evening. Would you imagine overseas flights from Dulles would be affected? I'm hoping we can just fly around Earl.

Greg Postel: maybe ... there could be delays along the east coast.

rain? : Please tell me we will get some rain soon. I am getting tired of watering the vegetables all the time.

Greg Postel: :)

Will Essex, Md. be affected by Earl?: I am concerned about flooding and storm surges.

Greg Postel: I doubt these will be a significant problem for you there.

beach erosion: I'm surprised the National Weather service is calling for only "minor to moderate" beach erosion on the Delaware coast, if they are expecting tropical storm force winds. What kind of wave heights are they expecting, and when might they peak?

Greg Postel: well, I thing the answer lies in the fact that the East Coast of the United States will very likely be on the left side of Earl, which shouldn't bring the kind of surge that the right side would if it were to make a direct hit.

Gaston?: So we have a decent grip on Earl but what can you tell us about Gaston and what could be Hermine? Obviously we have no idea where they could land (if at all) but do they seem to be in a good area to develop further?

Greg Postel: Gaston, yes. But, yes, the tropical atlantic is indeed primed and ready to go.

New england impact: Thanks for your expertise...How far inland would you have to be to escape high wind and drenching rain? We're heading up to New Hampshire tomorrow and trying to figure out the best route.

Greg Postel: sorry, but I'm not sure what you equate to as high wind. if not, the later you leave Friday, the better, because Earl will be running away from you.hope that helps

Beach Conditions: What about the water conditions at Ocean City for the weekend? I've heard there are serious rip tides around there.

Greg Postel: I imagine by Sunday the surf should have calmed down.

IAD to New Hampshire Satruday at 1PM: How late can we get to the airport for this flight? (haha) The latest track I saw showed Earl hitting New England Saturday morning. Do you think those westerly winds keep it offshore enough for flights to continue?

Greg Postel: depends on residual delays (if any) all across the U.S.but the weather by Saturday 1pm should be just fine for the flight (a bit windy behind the cold front - not Earl), if it leaves on time.

driving north: What do you think the weather will be like driving north to New England tomorrow leaving early?

Greg Postel: But ... Even just 8 hours or so.

Greg Postel: It'll be ok.

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile