Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jane Jakubczak
Thursday, September 16, 2010; 12:00 PM

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

Jane Jakubczak: Thanks for joining me today, I look forward to answering your questions about nutrition so lets get started...

calories: Do you develop suggested maximum calorie intake amounts for the Redskins based on their individual weights?

null null: Each of the players are different, and that is why I like to work with them individually to assess their personal needs and make my recommendations from there.

Golf -- walking 18 holes: I live in Texas. What are some snacks that can keep my energy up during the course of a four-hour round of golf?

null null:

Sports Nutrition: Our 15-year-old is a swimmer, and swims/trains two to two-and-a-half hours per day. In addition, he has a PE class everyday for about an hour. What should his daily caloric intake be, and how should that breakdown between carbs, protein, etc.?

null null: To find one in your area go to www.scandpg.org.

Too Skinny: Hi, Jane. I'm a 5"3 female and I weigh about 92 pounds. I do weight training for 30 minutes three times a week and yoga class once a week. I'm lactose and gluten intolerant, and I have gastroparesis and fibromyalgia (so I try to stay away from sugar). I would really like to gain weight (I'd like to get to 105) while still eating healthy. Any suggestions?

null null: Best of luck!

Short on time and on a budget: Hi, Jane. With a job, long commute and young family, it's all I can do to find about 30 minutes a day to workout. But I do, and have been fairly committed to exercising for the past six months. I'm also trying to eat more protein and gain muscle, but it can be a challenge. "Fast" food is cheaper and quicker. What are some tips for eating healthy when you're short on time and on a budget?

null null:

Snacks: Are there snacks kept around for the players? If so, what snacks are kept around for Redskins players?

null null:

Recovery shake?: I see in the sample meal plan that you suggest a post-workout recovery shake. What goes in it? Thanks!

null null:

Proteins and vegetables: How important is protein? I have read some nutritionists suggest that athletes should be looking more at improving their intact of vegetables and that there has been an overemphasis on protein. What do you think of such discussions?

null null:

Late night snacks: What kinds of food are the best to eat when hunger strikes, and it's after midnight? Could you give an example of a sample meal at midnight?

null null: Hope this helps!

Aging in athletics: As I get older (30's compared to 20's), are there certain foods my body will need more of to continue an athletic lifestyle?

null null:

Positional Dieting: Other than quantity, what are the most important differences in diet between football positions? Does a tackler's diet differ from a cornerback?

null null:

Meeting with a Dietitian: Hello! I've recently began a running training program, and my coach suggested meeting with a dietitian. My health insurance surprisingly covers this. Any suggestions on how to prepare, the kinds of questions to ask, etc? I want to get the most benefit out of my sessions. Thanks!

null null: I hope that helps!

The debate: Is high fructose corn syrup any worse for us than normal sugar? I keep seeing those "corn sugar" ads and wondering if I need to keep avoiding it.

null null:

Jane Jakubczak: Thank you for your participation in this live chat and I wish you all lots of happiness and health.Sincerely, Jane

» This Story:Read +|Talk +| Comments
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile