Got Plans?

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
The Going Out Gurus
Thursday, October 7, 2010; 1:00 PM

Justin Rude: The Curbside Cookoff is going on right now, so don't forget to head down to the CityCenter parking lot to try out a few trucks -- and make sure you vote for your favorite.The cookoff is also the inspiration for today's contest, the winner of which will take home a pair of tickets to Artisphere's big Burst! party this Saturday (hosted by Pink Line Project and BYT). All you have to do to win is tell us what new food truck you would like to see hit the streets next. Our pick: Doner Kabob. The best of your suggestions gets the tickets.Lets get chatting.

Non-touristy ways to entertain visitors : Hi Gurus, Love the chat and am hoping you can help me out. I have a friend visiting this weekend from NYC. She's been here a number of times so we've worn out all the typical touristy activities (monuments, eastern market, zoo etc). We have evening plans but I'm trying to find something fun for us to do during the day on Saturday and Sunday any suggestions of exciting events that might be taking place or off the beaten path activities we should check out? Thanks!

Stephanie Merry: This is a good weekend to visit, especially since the weather is supposed to be unreal. On Saturday, you have a couple of Oktoberfest options that should be fun, one at Rustico and another farther out in Maryland. You've also got Taste of Georgetown and RiverfrontFest. Sunday, it's all about the Artisphere open house.

First Date Woes: Gurus--I'm in desperate need of a spot for first-date drinks. Someplace cool, young, fun. Please make it Montgomery County. First dates suck, you know?

Fritz Hahn: Is it this weekend? If so, I'm going for the Quarry House Tavern in Silver Spring. I dropped in last Saturday night and J.P. McDermott and Western Bop were onstage playing their patented blend of old-school honky tonk and rockabilly music. Some folks were sipping beers, some were jitterbugging to Johnny Cash tunes. You can hang out in the main room if you want to chat, or go enjoy music in the back. To me, that's a great night out.(And yeah, first dates do suck, which makes the second/third/fourth all the sweeter.)

Washington, DC: Any word on when PJ Clarke's is going to open in DC?

Justin Rude: Just got off the phone with them, and they say they are pretty confident they will be opening their doors next Friday. Its only a block away from our offices, so rest assured we will be putting the bar through its paces early.

Wine and Chatting: Looking for a place that would be ideal for catching up with a friend that I haven't seen in a few years and drinking wine or getting dessert, preferably in Dupont Circle or near-by. Would Urbana or Veritas fit the bill? I recall that Veritas can get pretty loud.

Lavanya Ramanathan: You can always get one of the outdoor tables at Veritas, where it's a little less loud; the weather is so nice, you may as well enjoy it. For quiet, I can also think of a couple of other quiet places that you might consider, not near Dupont, but near the Metro: Room 11 (great dessert) in Columbia Heights, or Dickson on U Street (quiet, not the same-old-same-old), though it's a little pricey.

Beer!: Is there anywhere in DC (or the metro area) that will let me build my own six-pack of beer? I'm trying to be a more adventurous beer drinker, but I don't want to buy six bottles of something I may not end up liking.

Fritz Hahn: My standard answer is Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits, just south of Chevy Chase Circle on Connecticut, which sells hundreds of beers by the bottle as well as by the 4/6 pack. I've put together gift-sixers for my dad and other people there in the past. (If you're looking to pick up some of the Pumpkin Beers we blogged about last week but don't want to splurge on a whole six pack, this is the place to do it.)Other options include Westover Market in Arlington, which has a really nice Wall of Beer, and some Whole Foods locations.

Silver Spring, MD: My wife and I enjoy ghost tours, not the kind where people jump out on you, but along the lines of Old Town's and the Washington Walks that goes around Lafyette Park. Can you suggest others in the DC area that are worth going to? MD is best, but we have a car and will drive a reasonable distance for a fun time. Thanks!

Amy Orndorff: There are great tours in Frederick, Annapolis, Ellicott City and Leesburg.

Piggyback on First Date Woes: Gurus--I'm in desperate need of a spot for first-date drinks. Someplace cool, young, fun. Please make it Dupont Circle. First dates definitely suck.

Fritz Hahn: Don't do it on a Friday, because every bar will be crowded and that means it's even less fun.If I was asked out on a first date in Dupont, I'd suggest Veritas (Mon-Wed), Firefly, Stoney's, something like that. The sushi bar at Current for happy hour, for sure.Strangely, I'm also considering the bar at Bistrot du Coin. Loud and noisy, yes, but plenty of people-watching to help ease the conversation lulls.Chatters?

Build Own Six Pack: Total Wine will let you do this.

Fritz Hahn: Cool, thanks.

To the beer lover: World Market also lets you assemble your own 6-pack. There's on in Friendship Heights and Pentagon City so it easy to get your beer on.

Fritz Hahn: Another answer, but I have to say I've never felt the beer selection at the Friendship Heights branch was that compelling.

H street: Hi Gurus! Meeting some friends for dinner at Sticky Rice this weekend. I'm not very familiar with the area- where's a good place to get a couple drinks afterwords? Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: drink, particularly when there's a DJ; and Little Miss Whiskey's is even better (though the focus is its extensive beer list). And Fritz and Stephanie wrote this handy guide to H Street. You should check it ou; it'll make you want to stop at more than just one place.

Coffee and Waffles Truck?: Is there a coffee and waffle truck yet? If not, there should be!!! I can see it now, with multiple syrups to choose from. This would be perfect for cold weather. I'm not sure who would sponsor it, but that's what I would like to see.

Fritz Hahn: This sounds so good.Oh, Justin says the Sauca truck does this in the morning. Fair enough. I'm not the early-riser type.

RE: First Date Woes: I would also recommend Sidebar which is affiliated with Quarry House's counterpart, Jackie's. The craft cocktails are de-lish and they have a record player in the back with a variety of records which patrons can spin themselves.

Fritz Hahn: I will second your rec, but the record player is currently out of commission, or was last week -- the bartenders have been providing the music via their iPods.

dream truck: dumpling truck-- fried dumplings, steamed dumplings, pork dumplings, shrimp dumplings, apple dumplings...endless possibilities!

Fritz Hahn: Fried pork dumplings get my vote.

Family Friendly in Foggy Bottom?: We enjoy taking our children to the 6 p.m. Millennium Stage performances at the Kennedy Center. Can you suggest some family-friendly places for dinner afterward, in Foggy Bottom or Georgetown? Thanks!--Jennifer S., McLean

Justin Rude: The Millennium stage shows are a great kids activity, and I wouldn't have a problem taking my little guy to Pizzeria Paradiso or Clydes, which are both in the area.

food truck... easy: We need a truck that only operates between 11pm and 4am, serving things like the Gusburger (burger with a fried egg on top), a double-down style sandwich, and any other of a variety of alcohol soaking up foods.

Lavanya Ramanathan: I like where you're going with this. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I want a dosa truck, serving fine South Indian crepes and chutneys till 4 a.m. But I can't attest to dosas' alcohol-soaking ability.

Mac and Cheese Truck: I'd LOVE to see a mac and cheese truck, which offered tons of different fillings, like bacon, ham and peas, lobster...YUM!

Amy Orndorff: Yes! This one gets my vote.

Fun fondue: Is there anywhere in the DC area other than the Melting Pot that serves deliciously cheesy and chocolately fondue?

Justin Rude: Wow. You know, I really don't. I wonder if any of our chatters have spotted fondue on any area menus.

RE: Dream Truck: Cheese Wiz - on crackers, on tuna, on steak, on a stick, hot, cold, frozen, or straight outta that can!

Amy Orndorff: Cheese Whiz on tuna? Still, I like where you are going with that.

RE: Gusburger: Oh man that just killed me. The White Spot on the Corner at UVA - greasy cheese burger with fried egg at 2:30 AM. Oh that brings back such good memories. Somebody please start one.

Lavanya Ramanathan: There is already a line at the Gusburger truck. And it doesn't even exist.

Lounge Scene: Getting back into the DC lounge scene after a few years of enjoying being a homebody. What is the best one lately?

Fritz Hahn: There haven't been too many high-end lounges opening lately -- the trend is slipping more towards comfortable-yet-slightly-upscale bars.In terms of good music, drinks and seats, I'd say it's probably Sweet Spot, the new lounge run by D.C. DJ all-star Palash (of Saeed of...). Thumping sound system, stripped-down decor. Less of the Lotus/Josephine scene than a dressed-up U Street Music Hall.

Make your own 6-Pack: Honestly, your best bet is to trek out to Total Wine in Alexandria. Such a good selection of single beers, especially seasonal ones. If you're in Virginia, Lost Dog Cafe also has a good beer selection, and it's been awhile, but if memory serves, they have single bottles.

Fritz Hahn: Total Wine again.Lost Dog does have singles, but Westover Market is right across the street and has a much bigger/better selection.

Doughnut Truck: Charlottesville has a doughnut truck that is very popular for weddings and events out there. We need one here -- with APPLE CIDER DOUGHNUTS!!!

Amy Orndorff: Brilliant. Now I want to get married just to have a doughnut truck come.

Navy Yard: I work near the Navy Yard, a wasteland for dining and drinks. Barracks Row seems to be the best/only option in the area. Could you suggest favorite places for lunch, happy hour, and dinner in the neighborhood? Thanks!

Justin Rude:

New Food Truck: Should be all things Southern- bbq, mac & cheese, cornbread, grits, fried chicken, okra, Cheerwine to drink!

Amy Orndorff: Someone's been reading my diary. Fried okra is so yummy! This might beat out the mac n cheese truck for my vote.

Food truck: With the cold weather about to hit, I'd like to see a soup/stew/chili truck with some accompaning breads and biscuits to get me through the fall and winter!

Justin Rude: Only if they have bread bowls.

Dim Sum Truck: Why stop at dumplings? Why not a dim sum truck with shu mai, har gow, sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves, pork buns, the egg tarts, and my all time favorite...the turnip cake. This needs to happen.

Fritz Hahn: It would have to look like a giant dim sum cart.But Lavanya argues that the whole fun of dim sum is having the carts come around to you, not just ordering from one. (I'm just putting that out there because I love dissenting voices.)

Bachlorette Party Help: Gurus- I am trying to plan a bachlorette party for my boyfriend's younger sister for saturday Oct. 23rd. Here is the difficult part--she is pregnant, one girl is 20 yrs old, they have simple tastes (burgers and fries), and limited budget. They are all coming into town from Winchester so I wanted to do something fun and DC. I was thinking about line dancing and Nick's but not sure what else. Maybe a comedy show or drag queen brunch? Do you have any fun and cheap ideas???

Stephanie Merry: This is a tough one! I think Nick's is a great idea. Beyond that, you might consider checking out the new Cirque du Soleil show, Ovo (which is a bit pricey, though you could look into group discounts), followed by some kind of activity like bowling (all-ages friendly and doesn't necessarily revolve around drinking!). For something a little classier, there's always dessert and drinks (for those of age and not with child) at Co Co Sala. If you're looking for a drag brunch, Perrys is a good option.

Food truck: For savory: a tamale truck. For sweet: Whoopie pie truck. Chocolate, pumpkin, vanilla, etc. All flavors. Don't award me the tixs because I'm not local and can't use them. I just wanted to play.

Stephanie Merry: Pumpkin whoopie pies with cream cheese frosting would be amazing! I really need to remember to eat before these chats...

Fondue: Cafe Mozart has cheese fondue. And of course, beer and accordion music.

Fritz Hahn: I've been to Mozart more times than I can count for beer, accordion music and bratwurst/potato pancakes/schnitzel platters, and NEVER noticed that that they have multiple fondue options.But they do.

best truck ever!: ok, grilled cheeses and soups - a couple of types of breads and lots of cheese varieties. maybe some bacon and/or veggies to throw in there with the grilled cheese. then the sammies will be cut up into strips so you can dip them into the soup options. delish.

Fritz Hahn: I could see this becoming a cult food truck, but there's no way I'd wait in a line for it.

Get on a roll: Two words: sushi truck. There's got to be a way to keep the seafood fresh enough so I can get my califronia roll curbside.

Fritz Hahn: Indeed. If only they could serve sake, too.

Rustico Oktoberfest: What are your thoughts on the Rustico Oktoberfest on Saturday? Looks like a perfect day for it but I'm not sure what the crowd/beer/food will be like. Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: I've been before, will try to go this weekend if Metro cooperates. (Ha.) it's usually a mix of beer geeks and families mingling in the Rustico parking lot -- Oktoberfest brews, a moon bounce, bands. The food is a smorgasbord of options from all the sister restaurants, including Birch and Barley, Tallula and Evening Star Cafe, so you'll eat well. And it's free. And you get free food tickets/an Oktoberfest mug for taking public transportation. Seems like a win-win all around.

3 days and no plans: I have 3 days off and no plans. A bunch of friends will be out of town but it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend. I want to get out and do something but it's likely I'll have to do it alone. I live in DC but have a car, so I can travel if needed. Any ideas of what a single girl can do on her own over the holiday weekend? Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: You can start Friday by hitting Curbside Cookoff in the evening, when the lines will be a little shorter, hopefully. Artisphere's open house is Sunday and Monday, and it's just across the river; there will be bands and dancing, performances by Washington Shakespeare Company, art galleries to visit, etc.

yum truck: A po boy truck would be awesome...maybe with some beignets for afterwards. pumpin out some sweet new orleans style tunes.

Amy Orndorff: Excellent!

Food Truck: What about a pierogie truck? Delicious for dinner and drunkeness...

Fritz Hahn: YE S YES YES! If I can get multiple versions like at the Baltimore Ukrainian festival -- stuffed with meat, saurkraut, salty cheese -- I will wait for an hour for hot varenyky.

Dinner with grandparents: Hi gurus, where in the district would you recommend for weeknight dinner with the grandparents? American cuisine preferred, they're not very adventurous eaters, and are on a fixed income. Thanks!

Justin Rude: How about Ted's Bulletin in the city. Its unadventurous-chic, and not bank breaking. Scion has a nice mix of comfortable favorites and more complex dishes. If you find yourself in Arlington you could try Harry's Tap room, and I like Jackie's in Silver Spring.

Deep Dish Pizza: Is there anywhere in the area to get deep dish pizza that is not Uno's?

Alex Baldinger:

After Dinner Activity: Celebrating anniversary with my wife, heading to nice dinner at The Palm in DC this Saturday. But seeking something to do afterwards, where we can hang out or check out, not too loud so that we can talk. It can be bar/lounge, but doesnt need to be. We are in early 40s, no longer hip, just needing to relax away from the kids for the night and spend some quality time together. Interested in any suggestions you can offer, thanks!

Fritz Hahn: The stylish bar at Quill would be a great place to go -- live piano music, fantastic cocktails, not too loud. I'd also say the bar at the library-like lounge at the Tabard Inn would be a good destination. I was craving the fireplace as I walked to work this morning.

Food Truck Idea...: This might already exist - I work in Crystal City and I havent seen a food truck yet grace our streets but - a milkshake/smoothie truck. How amazing would that be - probably inappropriate for winter but when spring/summer starts up, go and order a milkshake or smoothie?! Amazing. And to piggyback on another commenter - they can have whoopie pies on board too...

Stephanie Merry: Smoothies, milkshakes and whoopie pies are like my three favorite foods. If this truck existed, I would be in big trouble.

Justin Rude: P.S. You can get milkshakes from the Fry Captain truck.And also, Crystal City, you are a frequent stop for one of my favorite food trucks, District Taco. Watch the island between 23rd Street and Crystal Drive.

Jazz: Where do I go if I want to put on a jacket, sit at a nice, sophisticated bar/lounge, order a cocktail and listen to some great jazz, something akin to the Ralph Sharon Trio or Oscar Peterson? I know where to go in NY, but here - ?

Lavanya Ramanathan: ....you want to go to Blues Alley.

30 and flirty: Hi gurus - I'm looking for a nice bar or restaurant (ex Oyamel, Masa 14) in Dupont, U-Street, Chinatown or Eastern Market that would let me reserve a few cocktail tables of space if i purchase apps for my guests. Drinks are on them. Anywhere come to mind??

Fritz Hahn: Oyamel will let you reserve its small bar (and surrounding tables) for a minimum, so I'd call them. I'd check about reserving tables in PS7's lounge, too.Don't think Masa 14 reserves any tables in the bar, but they'll let you have a big group of long dining tables together. (I know people who've done this and they seemed pretty pleased by the result.)

mozart fondue: I love me some Mozart but tried the fondue once...never again! Strangely watery- not cheesy.

Fritz Hahn: Thanks for the first-hand report. I'll stick to potato pancakes and applesauce with my Oktoberfest beers.

Food Truck: Gumbo! Heck, just any kind of cajun truck would be awesome. Jambalaya, etouffee, po boys, muffaletta, chicory coffee and beignets...

Fritz Hahn: Maybe you can franchise with Acadiana?

NoVA: Anything fun to do in Northern Virginia, Reston/Herndon area this Saturday w/a first grader? Thanks!

Lavanya Ramanathan: I have heard fabulous things about the one at Cox Farms in Centreville. And for one giant corn maze, the Corn Maze in the Plains is kind of the jam. It's even organic.

Young professionals: What's a good scene for young professionals this weekend?

Fritz Hahn: Artisphere? Food truck rodeo? (I'm guessing Friday night is going to be a big scene.)

Deep Dish Pizsa: Alex sez: "Well, until Lou Malnati's opens a D.C. branch, it's all we've got." Don't hold your breath. I lived in Chicago for 16 years and Lou's is very selective about where they open their stores. We had one at the end of our street and my husband kept them in business. He was heartbroken to leave Lou's when we moved.

Alex Baldinger: I don't blame him. I never leave the Windy City without a stop at Lou's. And while I'm not holding my breath, there are a few Chicago-minded eateries opening in D.C. soon: Justin will have more in next Friday's Weekend, but look for his review of Windy City Red Hots in Ashburn. There's also ChiDogO's coming soon to 14th and U: Chicago-style hot dogs and beef sandwiches. So who knows, maybe if Mr. Malnati catches wind of what's going on here, he'll consider us.

Good spots for engagement photos: Hi Gurus! Me and the dude are getting our engagement photos done this weekend, and we want to go somewhere in DC that's a little off the beaten path (not monuments, or Georgetown). We were thinking maybe Adams Morgan or H Street. What are your suggestions for somewhere that might be good to check out?

Stephanie Merry: I think in front of Jumbo Slice might work. Okay seriously, I actually wrote about this a while back. It's an old post, but I think you'll still find the information helpful for good places around town to take engagement photos.

fried dough truck: funnel cake, churros, sopapillas, doughnuts, beignets-- all things deep-fried and sweet

Lavanya Ramanathan: This is my kind of truck. Customers could choose from the "sauce bar" to personalize their fried dough; chocolate, dulce de leche, strawberry, habanero-mango...it would be amazing.

Pomme Frites: I'd really enjoy a Belgian fry truck. Very simple -- french fries and then a variety of dipping sauces! I know eat wonky does poutine but this is more up my alley.

Alex Baldinger: This would be out-of-control huge. Nothing like frites and aioli.

Deep Dish: The question is: could you fit a pizza oven and dough sheeter in a food truck and open the deep dish place on the curb?

Alex Baldinger: Technical concerns aside, deep dish pizzas don't exactly cook quickly. You think the line for a lobster roll is long? Imagine the queue for a 45-to-60-minutes-per-pie deep dish truck.

Minnesota/Wisconsin Game: Hi GOGS - we're having a much-anticipated midwestern family get-together over the weekend. Any ideas on where a small group (4) of us could go to catch the Minnesota/Wisconsin game on Saturday afternoon? The closer to Old Town Alexandria, the better!

Fritz Hahn: Hmmm. It's on the Big Ten Network, which is not a channel that every bar is going to have. I'd say the Crystal City Sports Pub -- a short drive up Route 1 from Old Town.(If you're feeling partisan, the Wisconsin alumni meet at the Tortoise and Hare, which is just down the block from the Sports Pub.)

Food truck: I wouldn't complain if Hard Times ran a chili truck. With poutine.

Alex Baldinger: Well, for poutine, there's Eat Wonky. But what D.C. really needs is Smoke's Poutinerie.

Artisphere: Is it kid friendly (like elementary and middle school aged)?

Stephanie Merry: The open house days on Sunday and Monday will be. There will also be some kid-friendly entertainment over the coming months, including puppetry performances that are part of KidsEuro Festival.

Halloween weekend: We're meeting friends in DC that weekend, probably on Saturday during the day. They've been to DC multiple times and my husband and I grew up in Virginia, so we've all done the regular touristy things. We both have toddler boys. I would actually be up for the Zoo as I haven't been there in years. We also thought about Eastern Market. Generally, we need something where the kids won't be too confined and where we can find some interesting food. Are there any activities you can think of that can accommodate all that?Many thanks.

Lavanya Ramanathan: Some readers are going to think i'm insane, but have you considered National Harbor? I was there last weekend, and it was really lovely; there was a farmer's market, families hanging out by the waterfront (the Awakening is now there), there is the National Children's Museum mini-museum (the real one is opening in 2013), plenty of restaurants and galleries to slip into, and you can take the ferry or the skipjack cruise that Amy wrote about recently.

Amy Orndorff: And don't forget the Peeps store...But there is nothing wrong with visiting the zoo except that it can get a bit crowded on Saturdays. Still worth it, but something to consider.

Drinks in Dupont/Logan: Hi,Any suggestion for a bar or restaurant bar for 3 guys to have some nicely crafted cocktails or good beer selection in the Dupont or 14th st corridor tonight? A place where we could find a seat at the bar around 8-9 would be ideal. Thanks.

Fritz Hahn: For beer, I like Scion on P, and it's rarely too crowded outside of happy hour. For cocktails, you might have some luck at Masa 14, though it's always tricky to predict. If not Masa 14, then maybe Firefly.

Food Truck: Smoked Turkey Leg Truck! Can you imagine suited-up professionals walking around downtown w/a giant turkey leg a la Rennaisance Fest? Awesome!

Fritz Hahn: Only if the truck workers go all-out, Fojol Bros-style, and dress like Henry VIII.

Apple Picking: I live in the district and don't have a car. Is there somewhere I can go apple picking that's metro-accessible?

Fritz Hahn: This sounds like a job for Zipcar.(Seriously, no Metro-accessible apple picking. Sorry.)

Lavanya Ramanathan: And around here, apple-picking peaks in September, so I'm told. So wherever you go, the pickins are very likely to be slim.

RE:NOVA: Thanks for the Corn Maze suggestion!! I forgot about those. I took my niece when she was younger and it wasn't much fun but now that she's a bit older hopefully we'll enjoy it more. I'm looking forward to it!

Lavanya Ramanathan: nice because they have a corn maze, and if she still doesn't enjoy it, there are also hayrides, rope swings, and a pumpkin patch.

re to 30 and flirty: I went to Panache one time when friends reserved a small area and had apps. available for guests. It was really great.

Stephanie Merry: Another idea for the bar/restaurant-seeker.

Seafood tower: Hi Gurus! I'm looking for a restaurant to take my boyfriend to in December, to celebrate the end of a long semester of med school (gotta plan now to have something to look forward to!). He is dying to have a seafood tower. Any tips on where to get a good one? Preferably not somewhere with four dollar signs next to the name, but I'd be willing to shell out a decent chunk of money to avoid a pile of greasy fried clam strips. DC preferable, but willing to travel to Annapolis/NOVA if necessary. Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Honestly, I don't think you beat Clyde's or Old Ebbitt, for this, especially at happy hour (after 11 p.m. nightly). I mean, the Orca Platter at Old Ebbitt -- a one-pound lobster, a dozen Jonah crab claws, a dozen clams, a dozen oysters and a dozen shrimp -- is only $45 at that time. Perfect post-movie/post-bar food.

FYI - Filming Next Week: I read on the WaPo that next week filming for Tranformers is going on so look out for extra traffic and road closures...http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dr-gridlock/2010/10/autobots_and_decepticons_--_an.html

Lavanya Ramanathan: Public service note to readers: Transformers will be on the city streets. Do not be afraid. Do not confuse them with food trucks.

Sushi Truck Dude/Dudette: You are out of your mind - I hope you have a huge supply of free antibiotics and a strong gut.

Stephanie Merry: This was my first reaction, too. Ew.

Food truck: Candy. Seriously, just bulk candy, and none of this $9/pound stuff. Hot Tamales and Candy Corns. I'd live there if there was one.

Fritz Hahn: Steph: If they had Swedish Fish, I'd be on board.Me: Would grandpa be behind the wheel, dishing out Werther's Originals?

A Food truck Food truck: That opened up like russian dolls and then the littlest food truck would serve cocktail weenies.

Stephanie Merry: This is so bizarre. I love it.

Fritz Hahn: Russian dolls just reminded me that I would die for a Georgian food truck. Or a Georgian restaurant for that matter.

Baseball playoffs!: Hi, there! Thanks for taking my question! My husband and I don't have cable, but desperately need to watch our SF Giants in the playoffs--any suggestions for Giants bars or alternatively, for sports bars that would definitely be playing Braves/Giants tonight? Alexandria and its environs would be preferable, but open to anything else. Oh, and bonus points for anywhere with drink specials/cheap drinks! Thank you!

Fritz Hahn: I would wager that Southside 815 will have the game on, and they have good food/drink specials, too.

RE: Skipjack cruise @ the Harbor: This sounds fun and relaxing. Any idea on prices? Thanks.

Amy Orndorff: It is very, very relaxing and it costs $20 per person.

Churchkey: Hello Gurus,How long would 3 people have to wait on a thursday night (around 8ish) for 3 spots at the bar or table upstairs at churchkey (we do not need food, just want to try some beer)? Thanks.

Fritz Hahn: I'm guessing 20-30 minutes. If you're lucky, you may be able to snag one of the booths that run parallel to the bar. They're really popular with happy hour groups, so stalk seats hard and keep an eye out for people asking for the check.

Re Halloween weekend: The person asking about the Saturday of Halloween weekend should keep in mind that the Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert rallies are that day. It could be a huge pain to get around the city, especially on Metro. So your National Harbor idea is actually a good one!

Lavanya Ramanathan: You're absolutely right! The marches are on the 30th, something to keep in mind.

Food Trucks: I just wish they'd come to Alexandria!! These suggestions are making me want to suck up the tiredness tonight and go into the Cookoff...

Lavanya Ramanathan: reportedly huge at the lunch hour.

VA food trucks?: I keep hearing about all these food trucks, but I haven't seen any. Are there any food trucks that come out to NoVA (besides Arlington)?

Justin Rude: And the Maple Avenue Express patrols Vienna, I believe.

Some fun on the DL?: Hey Fritz - I just moved back to DC, and it seems like since they built the ballpark and Jenny's moved to the Waterfront, there is a dearth of bars and restaurants to meet other males with similar interests to mine in SW/SE. My friends and I would love some recommendations. Ciao!

Fritz Hahn: The only one I know -- other than Remmington's and Banana Cafe, which are technically in Southeast -- is Ziegfield's/Secrets, which isn't a bar/restaurant so much as an experience, with drag shows, nude dancers, DJs, etc.

Alex Baldinger: Alright, we've got a winner. Will the person who suggested the pierogie truck please e-mail events@washingtonpost.com? Thanks to you, we're all wishing we had a big styrofoam container stuffed with those lovely potato dumplings, sour cream, sauerkraut and sausages. Caloric bliss, with an eastern-European twist.Thanks for joining us this week. We'll be stealing all of your ideas for food trucks back next Thursday at 1 p.m. for another go. See you then.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile