Got Plans?

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
The Going Out Gurus
Thursday, October 21, 2010; 1:00 PM

Alex Baldinger: Oh. Hello. We didn't see you come in there. But we're glad you're here because it's time to chat. We're yours for the next hour. Let's do this.

Pizza Bars: Any good spots in Arlington that serve great pizza, and craft beer?

Fritz Hahn: I'm becoming more of a fan of Fire Works Pizza in Court House with every visit. A fairly outstanding list of 30 draft micros ranges from California hop bombs to Flying Dog and Heavy Seas, plus some rarer brews from small breweries like Terrapin. The wood-fired pies have been great, too.Oh, and Rustico is opening in Ballston on Friday, according to the restaurant's PR people. Fingers crossed.

Halloween store help: I know this isn't a going out question but I'm taking a chance that it might actually get answered. I'm throwing another halloween party this year but I'm at a loss on where to go for decorations. I've been to Party City, Party Depot and the Spirit Halloween stores but where else can I go??? I want good, fun decorations... I don't want girly or frilly (or nice).... I'm looking for ghoulish, ghoasty, skelletions etc. Prefer the VA area.

Stephanie Merry: They aren't specifically party places, but Michael's and Target always have good selections for seasonal decorations.

night out - metro parking?: So, I parked my car at the Forest Glen station this morning as usual, and have since decided to meet friends for a night out downtown after work. In the event I have a couple of drinks and don't want to/shouldn't drive tonight, does anyone know the deal on late night or overnight parking at Forest Glen or Metro in general? Will I get a ticket if I don't leave the lot as soon as the trains stop running? Thanks!

Alex Baldinger: Every lot is slightly different, but the short answer is no. I used to frequently leave my car at the lot at the Twinbrook station overnight if my transit plans changed; same with Bethesda. In some cases, the gates will be up after Last Train and you can drive right out; in others, you'll have to swipe your SmarTrip as usual to exit. Either way, you won't be ticketed by Metro police or anyone else.

founding fathers?: Founding Fathers for happy hour tonight. Good idea, or bad?

Fritz Hahn: Do you mean Founding Farmers on Pennsylvania Ave.? If so, I like the cocktails but it can get very crowded with World Bankers and other professionals at happy hour, and the admittedly puzzling popularity of the restaurant means that lots of people waiting for tables get funneled into the bar. Go 5-ish or 6:30ish.

My hips don't move...: it's true. I can't dance. And neither can my fiance. Our wedding is in June and we are in desperate need of help. Can you recommend some good instructors who can work with us on our individual moves and our skills as a couple? Preferably private lessons and something that won't totally break the bank? Thanks GOGS!

Amy Orndorff: I would start by checking out some of the open (read: cheap) dances in the area. Most start with a lesson where you can learn the moves. From there you can find which teachers fit what you are looking for and then talk private lessons. I would start at Glen Echo and go from there.

Boys playing dress-up: Hey Gurus. My partner and other boyfriends are planning on giving our smashing costumes a dry run this weekend. We're all going to go as famous movie stars - Clark Gable, Rock Hudson, etc. What would be a great place for us to have an upscale night of Martinis and Cosmos in The District? Ciao!

Fritz Hahn: Good idea -- wouldn't want costumes that don't work on the big night. I'd say someplace like the art deco Le Bar in the Sofitel downtown should be a must-do on your agenda. Good cocktails, suavely French-influenced lounge. The new Cuba Libre looks like a 1940s movie set for "Weekend in Havana" or another Carmen Miranda musical and the mojitos are fantastic (even the fruity flavored versions), so I'd say that fits the theme. I love the "Mad Men" vibe at Bourbon Steak in the Four Seasons, so I'd suggest getting martinis there. And if you have a taste for sweet drinks, Degrees at the Georgetown Ritz-Carlton definitely fits the bill -- and they have half-price drinks at happy hour every day, so that might be the ideal starting point.

Ooh La La: Looking to surprise my fiance with a creative date idea for Saturday evening. He tends to be fairly in-the-know, so something obscure is positively welcome! We live in Penn Quarter but are willing to get out and explore... Help!

Stephanie Merry: How about an event with live music, food trucks and art installations? That's what you'll find at ZestFest, which ends Saturday with a closing ceremony of sorts from 2-11 p.m.

Fire Works: Oh you've been to Fire Works? Glad you like it. I work there. Beer list is always changing so every time you stop by there's something new to try.

Fritz Hahn: I've been to Fire Works four or five times, and I like the rotating beer list. (Just wish the chalkboards over the bar and the printed menu were more in synch sometimes.)

Fair Oaks Halloween store: There is a huge halloween store in Fair Oaks mall. I didn't go in because all of the costumes for girls are really skanky....but maybe that's what they're into?

Stephanie Merry: Another idea for the Halloween decoration seeker.

Baltimore Travel Options : Gurus - I know this chat is technically about DC outings, but I'm hoping you can help me out. Are there any semi-affordable travel options to and from Baltimore on weekend evenings? We'd love to explore our Northern neighbor's nightlife, but it doesn't look like the MARC trains run late enough to get us home. And as one of the few with a car, I almost always end up DDing and I'd like to have my fun too!

Alex Baldinger: Amtrak would seem to be your best bet, though you will want to plan for this before your night begins. On most Saturday nights, for example, you can catch the good-ol' Northeast Regional from Union Station to Baltimore-Penn for $15 each way. Coming back, the last D.C.-bound train out of Baltimore for the night is at 1:40 a.m. Do not miss that train.

Baltimore, HON: GOGs -- My husband and I are spending Veterans Day in Baltimore (seeing Black Crowes the night before at Rams Head and decided to get a hotel room given the federal holiday). Other than Andy Warhol at the Art Museum, what do you recommend we do with the day? I have been before and my husband actually works in B-more so I am hoping to do something off the beaten path. Hampden maybe?? Thanks for your help Gurus.

Amy Orndorff: Go check out the Walter Wick exhibit at the Walters! I'll go see if our Baltimore correspondent has any other suggestions...

Amy Orndorff: From Brandon:Hampden is always a good time. Plenty of neat little shops that are all worth checking out. Not to harp on the art museum thing too much, but you should definitely check out the American Visionary Art Museum if you have never been. It's not off the beaten path in that it is right by the Inner Harbor, but their collection certainly features a lot of great quirky pieces that you wouldn't find elsewhere. The Art Deco gem that is The Senator Theatre recently reopened, and it is easily one of the best places around to see a movie. They'll be showing the Hilary Swank-Sam Rockwell movie "Conviction" while you're there. Maybe you can head to dinner in Little Italy before the show, which is within walking distance of the venue. Enjoy!

date night: Hey have a groupon for Kushi and looking for something fun to pair it with besudes a movie. Any live music in the area or late night happy hours? We are in our 40s but young at heart. :)

Fritz Hahn: Well, you're right next to Busboys and Poets, which has live music and poetry, so you'll want to check that schedule.On more than one occasion, I have paired Kushi with a trip to Buddha Bar, which is only two blocks away. The cocktail list is reasonably solid -- my rule is the spicier the drink, the better it will be -- and it's quite the party scene Thurs-Sat when a DJ spins electronic beats. Just call ahead and make reservations for a table (dinner not required) or you'll find yourself stuck in a long line of would-be partiers outside.Another option: It's a short (6-block) stroll or cab ride over to Brasserie Beck, which has half-priced Belgian beers and oysters from 10:30 to close on Friday and Saturday nights. One of my favorite late-night destinations -- a date and I enjoyed four beers and a dozen oysters for less than $25.

Picky Mom: Hi Gurus! I read your chat every week but this is the first time I'm submitting a question. My mom is coming to stay with me next Tuesday. I want to take her to dinner and then watch the drag queen race down 17th St. Do you have any suggestions for dinner near Dupont? The problem is that she's a very picky eater and does not like ethnic food so I'm at a loss!

Stephanie Merry: Hank's Oyster Bar seems like it might fit the bill, but it could be mobbed given its proximity to the race. You have all kinds of options closer to the circle, including Paradiso -- you can't go wrong with pizza, right? -- and Darlington House, either upstairs if you're feeling swanky or down in the Cantina for something more casual.

Metro parking: Hey, Alex, there is no Metro parking at the Bethesda station. Maybe you meant Grosvenor? Which is actually in "North Bethesda," the euphemism for Rockville.

Alex Baldinger: You're totally right -- there's no Metro-run lot at Bethesda. I was actually referring to the underground MoCo lot at Woodmont and Old Georgetown, right next to the Bethesda station. Same caveats apply though (I have been ticketed there with an expired meter during the day, but overnight is a different story) -- and the gate is up all weekend. Thanks for catching that.

princess tea: There was a small article in the weekend section a few weeks ago (maybe a month?) about a Saturday tea event held monthly. It talked about nutella and fluff sandwiches for one thing! I told my 6 year old that we could go in November or December but I didn't save the article. I spent 30 minutes yesterday trying to find it on the post website with no luck. Please help!Thanks,

Amy Orndorff: You got it!

Recommendations for Restaurant for Large Group for High Heel Races: I will have a large group (7-12?) of friends looking for a good place to have dinner and then watch the high heel races along 17th street. What recommendations do you have where we could dine, drink, and watch (and see reasonably well) in the same place? Could I make reservations? What time should we get there?

Fritz Hahn: Easy answer: There is nowhere to dine or drink with a view of the race, because the entire block becomes standing room only about three hours before the race starts. (It's this Tuesday around 9 p.m. for those keeping track.)So what I'd suggest is an early dinner at, say, Agora, which will put you in the heart of the action, and you should be able to find a spot to stand along the street once you're done dining. I'd want to have finished my meal by 7.But really, the race itself is somewhat overrated, and over in a matter of seconds. What is most fun is watching the costumed contestants stroll up and down the closed street, using 17th as their own personal catwalk. Prime time for that would be 7:30-9.

Dancing: Hi GOGs! My best girl friends from college are coming down for the weekend-- where can we go to relive our days of super cheap drinks and super trashy pop/top 40 music and dance with other nostalgic twentysomethings?

Stephanie Merry: Let me direct you to our Sept. 30 chat, which contains a wealth of information for anyone wanting to relive their early 20s.

Concert buddy: I'm a married mid-30's guy with a wife and plenty of friends who love music. The problem is, their love of music is generally confined to weekends, which means that if I want to go to a concert on a Monday night, I'm usually stuck going solo. I have no problem with that, but want to find kindred spirits who are similarly abandoned in their school-night concert-going so we can meet up and enjoy the concerts together. But how do I find these people?!

David Malitz: I don't think there's any right answer for this. Maybe just talk to the people at those shows you go to on your own? I know that nobody wants to be "that sketchy dude" who just talks to random strangers at shows, but there are plenty of ways to do it without being sketchy. Other ideas - online message boards? Start a rock club like these guys did?

Pre-High Heel Race Suggestion: I have a friend hosting a fundraiser for her Making Strides for Breast Cancer team at Maddy's in Dupont on Tuesday. 10% of all proceeds 6-9pm go to the cause, so it's a great place to go before the high heel race!

Fritz Hahn: I like the bar food at Maddy's, I like charity (and Maddy's frequently hosts breast cancer fundraisers), and it's only a few blocks from the racecourse ...

to My Hips Don't Move: Lima has free salsa lessons monday nights starting at 9-11 pm. Also free drinks for the ladies (helps us get in the groove, maybe). That's how my hubby & I prepped for our wedding dancing - free, and pretty small groups so you got some 1 on 1 help.

Fritz Hahn: Monday nights at Lima is seriously one of the best deals in the city if you're female, and if you're male, well, you get to dance with a lot of women who come out for dance lessons and free drinks.And as a bonus, you get to be a better dancer while you're at it.

RE: Saturday Night Date: To the person looking for something off the beaten path for Saturday night, you could try the Pop Up Project opening kickoff in Bethesda. http://www.apopupproject.com/(Disclaimer: A friend of mine works for it.) Then head down the street to grab dinner and continue the intellectual bent by catching an indie flick at Bethesda Row Cinema.

Stephanie Merry: I like this idea -- a nice array of activities.

Santa Stumble: Do you know what happened to the Santa Stumble in DC? The website no longer exists and it can't be Christmas without the stumble! I believe you reviewed it in the past, any inside info you can share?

Fritz Hahn: This is strange. I'll make a phone call about this one, but in the meantime, for a worst-case scenario, put Santa Stumbles in Annapolis (Dec. 4) and Alexandria (Dec. 11) on your calendar.Then there's the rowdy, chaotic and awesome Santarchy, which is less organized than the stumbles, but really -- can you go wrong with dozens of people crawling from bar to bar dressed as jolly old St. Nick? Check it out at santarchydc.com.

After Halloween costumes: So where do people go to get discount leftover Halloween costumes? You can't dress like a pirate just one day a year!

Alex Baldinger: Aren't those here-today, gone-tomorrow storefront Halloween shops known for giving like 75% off leftover inventory the day after?And hey -- if you do end up finding a great costume for Halloween (preferably, you know, before Oct. 31) you should submit your photos to the Post's Halloween 2010 costume contest. Style's Robin Givhan and Hank Stuever will critique you, and the winner gets a $100 AmEx gift card. Sweet, right?

Fall Color: Where's the best place to enjoy the fall weather and foliage in the D.C. area this weekend? Only catch: I don't have a car, so it's got to be accesible by bike or public trans. Thanks!

Amy Orndorff: How about visiting Dumbarton Oaks or Hillwood? And if you are looking for an easy (but beautiful!) hike, try hiking the Potomac Heritage Trail from the Key Bridge to the Chain Bridge and then cross the Chain bridge and return via the C&O Canal towpath.

My Hips Don't Move: Either gottaswing or the jam cellar can help them out, if they want to learn. I can personally attest to them for making me a dancer, and I have no natural ability. I'd likely start with gottaswing and get some lessons through the jam cellar once the very basics are in place-a mix of teachers makes for better skills down the line.

Fritz Hahn: I'm a big fan of the dancers/instructors at Jam Cellar, and I have to say that Tom and Debra at Gottaswing do have a way with beginners. (Disclosure: I've taken classes/DJed for both of them.)

Good place for a walk?: Given the promised nice weather this weekend, where can I go for a walk that's reasonably close to Rockville? I tend to always hit up the C&O/Great Falls -- could use to branch out a bit. No need to be Metro accessible.

Stephanie Merry: How about Rock Creek Park?

Amy Orndorff: Oh you have so many options! How about a walk around the woods behind the Rockville Civic Center (lots of trails, really close and not too crowded!), Lake Needwood, Lake Frank, Seneca Creek State Park, Black Hill Regional Park and--of course--Sugarloaf.And I love the C&O Canal, but it is pretty cramped close into the city. There is so much good stuff to see the farther north you walk!

Hello Robert PLANT!: "Any good spots in Arlington that serve great pizza, and craft beer? "

Fritz Hahn: I was trying to guess whether it was a plant for Fire Works or Rustico. Figured I would mention both.

Forest Glen parking and North Bethesda: The chatter who needs to leave their car at the Forest Glen lot is all good - I've done it a bunch of times. Just the normal $4.75 when you leave tomorrow. And North Bethesda does not equal Rockville. Rockville is an incorporated municipality that starts at 355 and Rollins Ave - people south of that line don't pay Rockville city taxes. I don't like the term "North Bethesda" either - maybe we should start saying West Garrett Park?

Alex Baldinger: Ha! Or "South Rockville" -- SoRo if you want to be with-it.

Cafes: Best Cafes for being anonymous and getting some work done, but also great for when you do look up from your computer to get in some good people watching? Not Tryst or Busboys, those are getting a little less novel I think...

Stephanie Merry: Mid City Caffe near Logan Circle sounds like it could work (Bonus: their coffee is amazing), as could Sova along H Street.

New Bars?: Are there any new bars that have opened latley? Or ones that are opening soon? DC is getting boring!

Fritz Hahn: Um, wow. I really don't know what to say to this one, unless you're like me and have gone to at least 4-5 bars a night for the past week.But I'm looking forward to Red Derby's roof deck (any day now, apparently, pending inspection). And about three new Petworth bars, American Ice Co. near the 9:30 club, the Queen Vic on H ...

Where can I find Shipyard Pumpkin Ale?: I just got back from Portland, and fell in love with Shipyard Pumpkin Ale. I found the GOG blog article, mentioning Shipyard, but I can't find any . Do you know where I can get it in the DC area, and preferably on tap? Bonus for a Montgomery County location too.

Alex Baldinger: I picked up a six-pack a few weeks ago at D'Vines. It's not MoCo, but it's easily Metro-able.

Alternative to DC9: So I know that this is hardly the most tragic aspect of the recent events that took place outside DC9, but that place was one of my favorite bars in the city -- especially on Friday nights for the Liberation Dance Party. Do you guys have any suggestions for viable alternatives (i.e.: indie music, cheap drinks, awkward people dancing, etc)? Preferably non-H Street alternatives...

Fritz Hahn: Velvet Lounge has been doing more indie DJ nights downstairs (Lipstick this Friday) and the Natty Bohs are dead cheap. Marx Cafe's monthly Taking the Piss night is celebrating its eighth anniversary (!!!) this Friday, and if you want jangly, dancey throwback indie rock and '90s indie-pop, it's one of the best destinations in the city.

Speaking of pumpkin ales: I want to put in a plug for Dogfish Punkin Ale. I usually think pumpkin beers are too sweet, but this went down wicked good.

Fritz Hahn: Did you see the Gurus' Pumpkin Beer Taste Test? I have to admit I was shocked that Punkin only came in third.

Bachelor Party Locations: How do I put this. Uh, I'm supposed to arrange the activities for a friends bachelor party. Are there any venues that, well.... you know.

Fritz Hahn: So you're looking for a gentleman's club?

Brewfest: Do you guys know anything about the Northern Virgina Brewfest this weekend? Is it worth a trip? Or should I just cozy up to a six-pack of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale at home instead?

Fritz Hahn: Let's see... 40 breweries, lots of bands and four 6-ounce beers for $20, then additional tickets/tastes for $1 or $2 each. I'd say that's a decent deal if you can get there easily. (A partial list of participating breweries is here.)

Non-alcoholic dates: Hey gurus, I just started dating a girl who's running the Army 10 Miler this weekend and is "in detox" until then. Any fun but low-key, non-alcoholic 3rd date ideas for Friday evening?

Stephanie Merry: That's sweet! I've been there and going out to a bar is not so fun. As for Friday night fun, I know I already gave a shout-out to ZestFest but Friday from 5-11 there's a retro bike show hosted by the Dandies & Quaintrelles (who put on the tweed ride) including a badminton tournament and Beatles Rock Band. Random, I know, but it could be fun.

restaurants by the Avalon: Going to go see a movie at the Avalon theatre on Saturday- any worthwhile place for dinner and drinks around there?

Alex Baldinger: If you're driving -- Comet Ping-Pong for pizza and microbrews, or Buck's Fishing & Camping for hearty American. Both are owned by the same folks; they're no more than five minutes by car from the Avalon. If you're walking, it's a bit spottier: Parthenon is one option; Arucola another.

Halloween Decor in VA: There are also AC Moore craft stores in Fairfax, Manassas and Bailey's Crossroads.

Stephanie Merry: Another idea for ghostly decorations.

RE: Bachelor Party Locations - BINGO!: Yep

Fritz Hahn: I see.Well, there's Good Guys, Camelot ... just don't wind up at Royal Palace. A recent bachelor outing I was on ended up there. We had to go over to Russia House and do shots afterwards in an attempt to erase what we had just seen from our minds.

Low-key Jazz? : Hi GoGs - Any place to hit for low-key jazz - basically, I'd like to have a few nice cocktails with some low-key background entertainment that will still allow me to talk to my hubby.Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: 701 has good drinks and live piano jazz. Surprisingly, I think Tryst is perfect for this. Under-the-radar cocktail list made made by David Fritzler, who had one of the top Rickey cocktails during this summer's competition, and music Mon-Wed, including the Will Rast Trio from 8-10 on Monday.

Re: Bachelor Party: Rent a van, pick everybody up, go to Good Guys and Camelot. Somebody has to be the designated driver, though.

Fritz Hahn: Or you could just cab it -- Dupont to Glover Park isn't that bad.If I was getting a van, it would involve a trip to the Block in Baltimore.

Going out...alone: I'm a single 30-something chick with all non-single friends. Sometimes I just cannot find a friend to go out with (since they're all snuggled up with their significant others), but I don't want to have to stay home alone. I'd like to be able to go out, meet some guys, but I'm not singing up for some meet-ups to do things that I really have no interest in (if I were interested, I'd already be doing them). Any suggestions on where a single girl can go out alone and not feel like a loser or prime meat?

Stephanie Merry: You could sign up for things that do interest you though, right? Another idea comes to us courtesy of former guru Julia, who used to get hit on all the time whenever she'd go to a bar alone. So pick a bar, grab a seat and see what happens. And on the bright side, sometimes flying solo is easier -- it can be less intimidating for a guy who wants to approach you.

I didn't go in because all of the costumes for girls are really skanky....but maybe that's what they're into? : Oh I got my costume there last year! A black cat mask and tail that I attached to my own modest, non-skanky black outfit. They've got tons of accessories that you can use to build a costume, or just for Halloween decorating.

Amy Orndorff: Good suggestion!

Water Polo: Anyplace around here to play? For real.

Alex Baldinger: A water polo-playing friend of mine pointed me toward Rockville Water Polo. Not sure if they're in-season but might be worth checking out for next year.You can also check out the Washington Wetskins.

Repeal ball: Fritz, is the repeal ball going to have food this year, or just drinks?! Very important question for buying tickets!

Fritz Hahn: There will be "heavy hors d'oeuvres" at the annual Repeal Day Ball, the annual celebration of classic cocktails and the city's top bartenders. I would probably get something to eat first -- maybe not a three-course dinner, but you want to have something in your stomach before that first drink hits you.(For more information on the Repeal Day Ball, which I believe was just announced yesterday, hit www.repealdayball.com. I will see you there.)

RE: Concert Buddy: Meetup.com has groups for all kinds of activities, including an Indie/Live Music group that goes to a lot of shows around town. I had bought myself a ticket to a concert awhile ago then stumbled upon this group, was able to meet up with a fellow fan and had a nice time.

Stephanie Merry: And this could also work for the single 30-something....

SoRo: Haaa. I thought I had coined South Rockville when I lived there a few years ago. "North Bethesda" made me sound like I was trying too hard to seem ritzy. South Rockville seemed more bada$$.

Amy Orndorff: Agreed. As a Rockvillan it always made me feel like North Bethesda was trying to some how be separate. Uncool.

re "Founding Fathers": the puzzling popularity maybe the fact that its the bar/restaurant they go to all the time on the TV show Bones. could be DC folks are hot for forensic anthropologists?

Fritz Hahn: Or just Emily Deschanel. Or either of the Deschanels.But yeah, I'd wager that show has something to do with it. Or the whole farm-to-table rhetoric.

More Balti: Hi guys, I'm going up to Baltimore for an event on a Friday night at 730 so looking for a place to get a quick dinner beforehand. Casual is fine, but would prefer to avoid dive-y places. Venue is the Meyerhoff (?) symphony hall, so something near there would be good. Any ideas? Thanks! Seems to be a Baltimore kind of Thursday

Amy Orndorff: Brandon says:I'd say check out the menus Brewer's Art, Turp's (a really solid sports bar. Went there last night and had the chili Cheez Whiz burger. So good.), Sammy's Trattoria, XS or Abacrombie. All are right by the Meyerhoff.

Pizza Plant: Fritz - the Plant was probably 'Lost Dog' trying to get the Post to give them some love for once.

Fritz Hahn: I believe Justin has given them some love here more than once, and I like Lost Dog, but I'm more of a Westover Market kind of guy.

As a Rockvillan it always made me feel like North Bethesda was trying to some how be separate. Uncool.: How about when Glover Park residents say they live in "North Georgetown." C'mon people, it's Glover Park.

Fritz Hahn: Most people I've heard say "North Georgetown" were from Burleith, and that might have been to avoid the inevitable "Where the heck is Burleith?" follow-up.

Korean BBQ: Any favorites in the Northern VA area?

Stephanie Merry: Have you tried Woo Lae Oak? That would be my pick.

Ballston...: Was told Rustico was opening Tuesday and not tomorrow....unless you meant next Friday and then I bow to your expertise.

Fritz Hahn: Nah, we got some wires crossed on our end. Rustico is starting the invite-only mock service for "friends and family" on Friday, not opening to the public. That's Tuesday. My apologies for the confusion.

Crutching It: I have an aunt flying in to take care of me after an upcoming surgery and want to plan at least a few things for her to do in DC besides sit in my apartment. Any recommendations for a brunch place on Sunday around Dupont that will take reservations and will be easy to navigate on crutches? I'm thinking Tabard but trying to remember the stair situation.Also, somewhere nice I could take her for dinner the night before? She likes more standard American fare.Thanks!

Fritz Hahn: Tabard has a few stairs from the sidewalk up to the hotel lobby, but then none to get to the dining room. (The path through the fireplace lounge can be tight, but I think it would be doable.)I like Kramerbooks' Afterwords Cafe, and there are no stairs to worry about. Scion has a good brunch, but there are 3-4 stairs going down into the restaurant.

Forest Glen Parker: Glad to know there will be an unattended vehicle sitting there all night. Seriously folks, think before you post.

Alex Baldinger: I want to meet the car thief who takes his/her robbery cues from the Going Out Guide chat.

Fritz Hahn: This is why I don't use Foursquare.

Alex Baldinger: Alright folks, that does it for us today. Have fun going out in Burleith, North Bethesda, South Rockville, West Garrett Park or wherever it is you call home. And if you're going to leave you vehicle unattended, be sure to lock your car and remove all valuables from sight. Service journalism at its finest!

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile