washingtonpost.com
Security clearances threatened by foreclosure: How are you affected?

John Mahoney
Wednesday, October 20, 2010; 2:30 PM

John Mahoney:

The Washington Post: If I have a security clearance and fall behind on my mortgage, will I lose my clearance for sure? Or will the government take other factors into consideration?

John Mahoney: The government will consider you as a whole person and determine whether it is clearly in the interest of national security that you be granted a clearance.

The Washington Post: If I'm a security cleared employee and delinquent on my mortgage, shouldn't I be glad if my lender freezes any foreclosure action against me? What's the problem if I'm in limbo for a little longer?

John Mahoney: Waiting while your financial problems linger may cause problems with your job.

The Washington Post: Say I need to get a security clearance for my job and don't have one yet. Once my house is foreclosed on, how long will it take for me to reestablish my financial credentials so that the government considers me trustworthy enough to give me a clearance?

John Mahoney: It may take a couple years, but the main thing is to work to solve your fincancial concerns as soon as possible.

The Washington Post: Is the government constantly monitoring the financial health of security cleared employees or is there a chance that if I get my finances in order fast enough, the government might not catch on?

John Mahoney: It's better to be honest and woprk with the agency to resolve their concerns than ignore them.

security clearances: Are you better off notifying your security office ahead of time that you might have to do a short sale or foreclosure?

John Mahoney: It is always better to be fothcoming with your security office.

The Washington Post: Say I want to get a loan modification on my mortgage to lower my monthly payments, will this affect my security clearance? What if I get the loan modification through a federal program?

The Washington Post: If I've had a security clearance for a long time, say a decade or two, and never had financial problems before, will that record help me keep my clearance even if I'm delinquent on my mortgage now?

John Mahoney: You want to use good judgment and do what you can to clear up your financial concerns promptly.

The Washington Post: What could the government do to help all the security-cleared employees who work so hard in our country's interest but are now facing difficulties because of the mortgage crisis?

John Mahoney: The government could relax the application of the Financial Concerns Guideline during this difficult economic period and recognize that federal clearance holders are doing their best to keep current on their debts.

The Washington Post: In terms of keeping my clearance, is it worse if I'm facing foreclosure on an investment property rather than on my own house? Or is my clearance in jeopardy either way?

John Mahoney:

How many?: Do you know how many people might be affected by this?

John Mahoney:

Washington, DC: Is it fair to conclude that if you can't qualify for a mortgage, then the government doesn't want you as an employee?

John Mahoney:

Short Sale: I am in the process of obtaining a Public Trust clearance and had a property that I had to short sale this year. Could this prevent me from getting a clearance?

John Mahoney:

Security clearance pitfalls: I've never understood why security clearances are linked to moral issues like personal debt. Can you enlighten me?

John Mahoney:

Procedures: How often are our procedures for awarding security clearances updated? Or have we essentially been awarding clearances in the same way for some time?

John Mahoney: The agencies of the federal government that adjudicate clearance cases update their regulations and guidance periodically, but the basic law has been around for quite some time.

Speculative properties: Some cleared employees chose to speculate with real estate despite having stable jobs. Can their judgment be trusted?

John Mahoney: That is what the government will determine when considering whether they are eligible to hold a security clearance.

John Mahoney: If you have any concerns about your security clearance, please do niot hesitate to contact me at Tully Rinckey, PLLC, Attorneys & Counselors at Law, (www.fedattorney.com)

Post a Comment

Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company