MarineCorps Marathon

Marine Corps Marathon runners including Chris Hatton, stretching, and at right, Wylie Belasik. Chris is training for the marathon with "Back on My Feet", which uses running to rehabilitate homeless people.
Marine Corps Marathon runners including Chris Hatton, stretching, and at right, Wylie Belasik. Chris is training for the marathon with "Back on My Feet", which uses running to rehabilitate homeless people. (Susan Biddle - For the Washington Post )

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Marc Goldman and Art Smith
Marketing Manager/Starting Ceremonies Host and Celebrity Chef
Friday, October 29, 2010; 11:00 AM

Marc Goldman, marketing manager and starting ceremonies host, and Art Smith, celebrity chef (to Oprah Winfrey for 10 years), was online Friday, Oct. 29, at 11 a.m. ET to discuss the 35th Marine Corps Marathon, the "People's Marathon," which welcomes 30,000 runners from all 50 states and more than 50 countries. Goldman and Smith will talk about the event which celebrates the individual accomplishment of setting a goal and completing the mission of running 26.2 miles.

After recently being diagnosed with Type 2Diabetes, the 50-year-old Smith decided to improve his lifestyle to include more physical activity -- and running. In just the past year, Smith has lost 100 pounds. "Running the Marine Corps [Marathon] in D.C., demonstrates to people that if a50-year-old man that one year ago weighed 325 pounds can change his health, andreverse his Diabetes 2 symptoms, that they can do it too," says Smith. "I've hadmany people say to me young and old that I've inspired them."

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Good morning. Very exciting start to the 35th Marine Corps Marathon Weekend earlier this morning when the Health and Fitness Expo opened at the Washington Convention Center. Lots of activities and events around "The People's Marathon" and Art and I are happy to answer questions to make everyone's experience even better.

McLean, Va.: So what should we be wearing on Sunday? By 8 a.m., will it be warm enough for shorts and short sleeves? I remember all of the gloves tossed on the ground last year. On the course, are there places (like the water stations) where it's okay to drop a layer of clothing?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Runners should dress for cold dark early morning arrival at MCM. Sunrise is usually around 7:10 a.m. We will have UPS trucks in Runners Village for runners to check their bags and then pick up at finish. Recommend if cold, stay in clothing as long as you deem necessary. Some shed at the start...others in Runners Village at the trucks.

Arlington, Va.: Can you elaborate on the tracking of runners during the race? This year there are no text message; rather, an iPhone/Android app. No one I know that is running can explain to me how exactly it will work. Do you still collect position information at each mile via shoe tags, or do you have to carry the phone during the marathon to use its GPS function? The latter seems onerous; however, the Web site says the new system uses GPS and you need a device to get "full functionality." I expect this to be a major friction point on Sunday, so can you clarify the situation?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: The MCM collects split time data every 5k and will be live on the website. The timing device is on the reverse side of the bib. THe iPhone app is a GPS tracking program to locate runner and spectator. Both parties require the app and phone.

washingtonpost.com: Marine Corps Marathon

Harrisburg, Pa.: Are you familiar with the diet being mentioned by Don Imus that suggests that a diet free of sugar may be good. What are your thoughts on a totally sugar free diet?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Iam not familiar with his diet, but for me personally I now longer eat any refined white sugar, even brown sugar. I do LOVE sweets, so Ive discovered agave made from the agave cactus. Good luck with your diet! XOART

Tallahassee, Fla.: We're rooting for you Art. Congratulations.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: I LOVE TALLY! XOOXOXART

Harrisburg, Pa.: As Oprah's chef, what have you observed during her battles with weight loss and weight gain, and would do you recommend someone do nutritionally who (like most of us) face these battles all the time?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: As a personal chef to many of our country and world celebrities, just like us they deal with diet and weight issues. Trust me when everybody knows you they all want to feed you! I have won the battle by portion control and consistent excercise. Keep people around you that show you love and appreciation. XOART

Philadelphia, Pa.: When did you first run a 26-mile marathon, and how long did it take once you began running to be able to run such a marathon?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: I ran my first marathon 3 weeks ago, 4.32 45 seconds. Ive been doing small runs and some long ones. Personally, i believe I was born to run, so its easy for me. Iam excited about Sundady, but every race is different. Ive heard there are some BIG BIG HILLS! XOART

Washington, D.C.: Sorry, I'm a newbie. What is split-time data?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: this is your timing results from the 5k marks along the course.

Rosslyn, Va.: If I'm not checking a bag and am coming from Rosslyn, can I just walk to the starting line, or do I still have to Metro to Pentagon station? I'd prefer to walk as a warm-up but want to make sure it's okay to enter the corrals from that side.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: You can walk from Rosslyn to the start. Just about a mile away.

Washington, D.C.: How will maptrack work for people who will be monitoring my progress online? What information will they need to find me? My name or my bib number as well?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: They can put in bib number to find you. Will visually demonstrate your locations on the course.

Silver Spring, Md.: This question is for Art: What are you most looking forward to about the marathon?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: The finish line! LOL Iam a huge tourist and seeing Washington, DC from food will be really cool. Ive been doing a lot of traveling around the world, and with my new health journey Ive ran in some of the most amazing cities in the world, Shanghai, South Africa, Toronto etc.

XOART

Reston, Va.: I have a question for Art about weigh loss. Art, do you have any advice for people who are struggling with loosing weight and keeping it off?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Every morning I have oatmeal, egg whites and fruit, it re- establishes my daily health routine. Eating a healthy simple breakfast keeps me on task. Drink lots of water, because most people are not hungry but dehydrated.

XOART

Washington, D.C.: Chef Art, what is your favorite music to listen to while running or working out? What kind of tunes get you motivated?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Lady Gaga! I love and adore her music. I lost a majority of my weight listening to Bad Romance. Ok, but Iam a child of Modonna! Music sure makes the running go by faster! Sunday

Black Eye Peas! XOOXART

Washington, D.C.: Chef Art - Are you trying to beat Oprah's time? What was her marathon time? We have an office pool going on. Just kidding. I wish you the very best on Sunday and always.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: You know don't think it hasnt crossed my mind! LOL My beloved Oprah was 40 years of age when you ran the marathon at 4.29. Iam 50 and going to have to really hoof it! Looking at doing better than my 4.32 in the Chicago Marathon. Thank you for your confidence! XOART

Washington, D.C.: Did you just run another marathon recently? If so, what was the biggest obstacle you facedduring that race?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Just ran the Chicago Marathon, and ran it in 4.32. The biggest obstacle was just finishing the race! Those last 2 miles seem like 20 miles. Thanks to the crowds the great bands etc. I finished! Keeping a great pace is the secret to finishing and not "hot dogging it"!

OXOXART

Washington, D.C.: Art, what is your favorite run in D.C.? When you are here in D.C., what your favorite route to run/jog?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: My favorite run in DC is running from Art and Soul Restaurant, my restaurant on the hill to the Lincoln Memorial and back. What a gorgeous beautiful strip of land and love dodging the tourists! XOART

Fairfax, Va.: Are you doing a load-the-carb dinner Saturday night? What creation will you make?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: My favorite is multi grain pasta with a simple tomato sauce and a HUGE SALAD. We also have some great farro with grilled salmon too. XOART

Brookeville, Md.: Art, what do you eat the night before, morning of, and day after a marathon?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: I eat some great multi grain pasta and simple clean sauce the night before with some grilled fish. The morning of very early, I have oatmeal, egg whites, fruit and lots of water. After, I have a BIG BIG PARTY! Going to eat a big plate of fried chicken after the race. XOXOART

Washington, D.C.: Hi Art!

Are you running on a daily basis to prepare for the marathon? How many miles per day? Do you give yourself days off?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: I ran at least 3-8 miles a day and some days I bike. Also, give myself 1 day off a week. Today Iam running 3 miles down the mall and back from Art and Soul, it helps to have a running partner. XOART

Washington, D.C.: What is currently on your iPod when you're training?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: LADY GAGA, MODONNA, BLACK EYE PEAS, CHRISTINA AUGILERA!!!

College Park, Md.: From observing my friends who are runners, I have noticed that they all have specific training schedules before a half or full marathon (i.e., run XX miles this Saturday, XX miles next Saturday). Art, how did you plan out your training schedule? And how did you find time in your busy schedule for it?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: My health guru Az Ferguson, Game On Diet, set-up my running schedule. YOu can find Az on Facebook. He's the best! Having someone that is part of process, from coach to a great friend, really helps. One of my new friends a fan, gave me an IPOD programmed with music, that really inspired me. Schedules are tough and with my mine???You just have to do whats best for you. XOART

Washington, D.C.: Chef Art - Have you thought about a victory dance for when you cross the finish line? Something Lady Gaga/Madonna-inspired.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: GREAT IDEA! Ok, Iam going to call the Oprah Show and get some advice! Thank you, my last race I just collasped next to my health guru Az Ferguson. XOART

PS. Lady Gaga!!!

New York, N.Y.: This is for Chef Art. Training for a marathon takes extreme dedication. How do you keep yourself disciplined? If you're feeling tired, how do you motivate yourself to keep going?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: I feel and look great! People tell me and that motivates me too! XOART

D.C.: What time should runners get into their corrals? I like to do a little job about 15 minutes before racing, but wonder if that's possible in such a big race. Also, with the recent course modification, is this year's MCM still certified as a full 26.2 miles? Thanks!

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: We recommend moving up to ROute 110 around 7 a.m. JOgging space is availble in Pentagon Parking Lot. Course change is just a step onto the curb instead of on the street.

Fairfax, Va.: How many people do you predict will be running? How many spectators? What's the route?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: 22000 in the MCM. About 10000 in the 10 K. Appox. 100,000 spectators. A party on the sidewalks and the streets.

Alexandria, Va.: Are spectators allowed to make hand-offs to runners at any accessible place on the course? My husband is planning on giving me a hand-off of gel packs on M Street and later along Madison Ave. I haven't heard official word, but I was hoping this is allowed.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: If you are the lead runner, I wouldn't recommend it.

Wow, 100 pounds?: I just saw a recent photo and good for you! I've enjoyed seeing on Top Chef episodes.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Yes one year and a 100 pounds! Iam feeling very good! All those fears I had about being to old and it being hard for a person who is older to loose weight????Well, its not true!

Clean, whole food, and moderate excercise will set you free.

Thank you for watching Top Chef Masters! XOART

Brookeville, Md.: Is there anything in particular you drink to stay hydrated during your run (sports drinks, etc)? Or just water?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: To be honest I hate the taste of them and I rather drink water. My favorite is a double espresso before the race and water. XOART

Upper Marlboro, Md.: Art, I wish I had that feeling: "born to run." I really struggle after about 15 miles. What can I do to help me get through? By the way Table 51 is awesome!! I met you at the restuarant in 2007; the grueling hot weekend of the Chicago Marathon

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Thank you! Iams so happy that you loved Table 52, its my baby! We all struggle after 15 miles, you just practice and take care of yourself. My favorite is to have a double espresso before I run and it keeps me very perky all the way through. Yes, it was really really hot in Chicago, but thanks to my health coach Az Ferguson I made it through.

XOXOOXART

College Park, Md.: What is your most memorable 'eye of the tiger' moment in all of your training?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Seeing the finish line at The Chicago Marathon! Knowing that I was able to acomplished what I started and also the first 10 pounds I lost. XOART

New York, N.Y. : Art, what type of food do you crave after a marathon?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Ben's Chili Bowl, Spike's Good Stuff Eatery Burgers, We The Pizza! I also love a big plate of our fried chicken at Art and Soul. XOOXART

Washington, D.C.: What is your next big quest?

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Climbing to Station 1 or 2 of Mount Everest with Az Ferguson.XOART

Fairfax, Va.: What would you recommend to someone who is trying to maintain as healthy a diet as possible on a modest budget? It seems that eating really well can be expensive.

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: I spend a lot less on food now. Oatmeal, frozen berries, yogurt, fruits, chicken. I dont spend money on soft drinks or snacks or complusive fast food. XOXOART

Marc Goldman and Art Smith: Thanks everyone for coming to the chat today. We so appreciate your questions.I look forward to meeting you all at the Marine Corp Marathon! XOXOART

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile