First Things First -- Tracee Hamilton on the latest sports news

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Tracee Hamilton
Thursday, November 18, 2010; 9:30 AM

Every morning, Post columnist Tracee Hamilton discusses the most amazing and outrageous news from the world of sports.

Outsourced??: After the drubbing the Redskins experienced on MNF, has the WashPo decided to outsource your column? What's with the Korean time stamps?

Tracee Hamilton: Shhhh. Please don't give anyone any ideas!And good morning, everyone. Yesterday was lively and I'm guessing today will be as well. Let's get started.Oh, and Boz is chatting today at 11, FYI.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA: So earlier this week you mentioned why The Post covers Virginia Tech, since there are so many Hokie-alum in the area.That said, what's your excuse for The Post NOT covering the Orioles. I think it's a safe bet that there are lots of Oriole fans in the MD/VA/DC area (just like Va Tech fans/alum) yet the Post doesn't seem to care about the O's.So, why does The Post cover a college sports team located farther away than a professional sports team much closer to the area that it does not bother covering?Not to mention that there are generations of people who grew up rooting for the Orioles when the Natinals were still in Montreal with Gary Carter.Oh, and Ghost Adventures (on Travel Channel) is the better of the ghost shows. Zack Bagans and crew are top-notch.

Tracee Hamilton: The Post covered the Orioles as a full-time beat for years. We kept covering them for several years after the Nats came to town, but when our news hole started to be cut (a process that continues), something had to give. Baseball, because of the box scores, eats the largest part of the space budget every year (though it may seem the Redskins does, it's just not the case, and I have the spreadsheets to prove it). So we eliminated the full-time writer on the beat but continue to run separate gamers on the Orioles, from the wires or from The Sun, depending. In this day and age and this economy and with the state of industry, covering two professional baseball teams is not an option. We used to cover the Ravens, too, and dropped that.(I've seen Ghost Adventures and like it but still prefer my Hunters.)

Sleepless in Mount Vernon: TraceeI made it through 3 quarters of the Wizards game last night. I'm thinking of sending Ted Leonsis a bill for my time? At this rate, they could change their names to the Washington Generals. I was half expecting Kevin Garnett to throw a bucket of confetti on the announcers.

Tracee Hamilton: Three quarters is pretty darn good, and you quit just in time. I didn't watch all of the fourth quarter but enough to know I didn't want to watch it. That result was not surprising to me. They had played the night before and traveled and were without John Wall. They are in no way, shape or form capable of playing with the Celtics, who had three or four days of rest. This is exactly how the season is going to be, I'm afraid; they'll beat up a few of the weaker teams and lose to the good or great ones. Buckle up.

Celtics Cheerleaders: I'm not the kind of guy who falls out of his chair too often ogling attractive women, but Wow! How to soften a blowout. Wow again! My wife, however, was not amused.

Tracee Hamilton: I'll take your word for it. Though why you shared that thought aloud to your wife is beyond me. :)

McKenna's alphabet: I am curious as to your reaction to the following assertion of his: "Among the many journalists who worked for Snyder while also reporting on his Redskins for major news outlets: George Michael, Michael Wilbon, Dan Hellie, Wally Bruckner, Andy Pollin, Lindsay Czarniak, Brett Haber."

Tracee Hamilton: I think it's safe to say Dave won't care. As for the list, I have no quibble with it, because it's true. It's why Liz Clarke and I do not accept payment for Mr. Tony's radio show since it moved to 980. That would be wrong. It's much harder for the TV types to keep clear of this. Channel 4 has long had this relationship with the team, they do the weekly shows, and this is the result.

Let him sniff your hand to make him more comfortable. Then slowly stroke his pate.: Hilarious line yesterday about Cheese Boy!! Maybe ya need to wear a helmet in case he goes Joe Devola on you.

Tracee Hamilton: Two words: Cherry Binaca.

Celebrate!: With all that's not good in area sports, isn't it great that we have the Capitals? They are leading the league & on pace to repeat last season's point total. Rock the red!

Tracee Hamilton: It is. The Capitals are the gift that keeps on giving.

Comcast Sports Net: Tracee - I was wondering if you were informed as to the Caps/Wiz arrangement with Comcast Sports Net. Last week when the teams were playing on the same night the Caps were given the spot on CSN (HD) while the Wiz were sent to TCN (No HD). Last night was the opposite. I would imagine ratings would dictate which team showed on CSN but was not sure if you had any additional insight.

Tracee Hamilton: It's the same arrangement the O's and Nats have with MASN and MASN2. Basically, the "best" matchups are going to be on Comcast and the others on the second channel. So the Celtics were probably a bigger draw than Buffalo, or so the assumption was, and that's how they decide. Of course, there is less conflict between Caps and Wiz schedules than O's and Nats, but that's why, say, the Nats-Phillies games will more likely be on MASN and the O's-Yankees games will more likely be on MASN.

Two Unrelated Questions: Tracee,Thanks as always for the cheerful Chat Hostess duties :)Not to bring up a competitor but did read Dave McKenna's comprehensive takedown of Danny Snyder and if so, what did you think? I have been away from D.C. for three years, so I missed some of those classics, like the $20 scratch ticket. Nice.Greg Oden - done for good, done as good/great if he is able to return, or too soon to tell?Thank you!

Tracee Hamilton: You can always bring up a competitor, and he did an amazing job. It's a little breathtaking all laid out like that. Or is it lied out? :)Greg Oden -- unbelievable. He may end up being the Marcus Dupree of hoops.

Video Chats: Really don't like the video chats. Can't watch them at work, and can't really peruse the answers at my leisure (on the phone, etc.). Apparently they are here to stay, which is too bad. We hear so often that the Redskins drive coverage based on page views, customer surveys, etc. as a way to justify the resources devoted to covering them. I'd be curious to know what sort of participation the video chats get compared to old fashioned text based chats? Is there a significant drop-off in participation? And if so, how is that better for the Post, or it's readers?

Tracee Hamilton: I think they serve an important purpose and I'm happy to be a small part of the process.

I'll take a guess that, as a kid, you were mildly into Ovaltine.: I sure was. In fact, one of my childhood friends still kids me that I would come over to his house to watch the Skins game when I was about 8, and would sneak upstairs to the kitchen, where I would find the family's well-hidden Ovaltine, grab a spoon, and eat it right out of the jar. I'm not proud of this. In your "Ovaltine Years," if you will, I'm guessing you went the more classy route, and poured some milk in it.

Tracee Hamilton: You know, we didn't have Ovaltine, ever. I wonder if it was available in the Midwest? Oh, surely, because Ralphie drank it in "A Christmas Story," one of my favorite movies. Anyway, not sure why, but we were a Nestle's Quik house. And yes, I would eat a spoonful if I could get away with it.

McNabb's contract: Ignore this question if you've covered Donovan's contract ad nauseum, but isn't this a great deal for the Redskins? They essentially get a 1 year annually renewable contract. We keep him as long as he is the best option, but we don't have to pay him a dime after that. Can you imagine how quickly we would have cut bait on Haynesworth if they had paid him 3.5 million bonus instead of 20+ million?

Tracee Hamilton: I think it is a good, smart deal for the Redskins and as I said yesterday, I think it's a sign that perhaps Mr. Snyder was NOT involved in its construction and delivery.

Roll another one: whoa man, there are 7 games left and the Redskins have already won 4. They're going to have a better record than last year, so why don't folks just mellow out? The guy with the badger teeth, though, he freaks me out.

Tracee Hamilton: Please, everyone, let's not harsh this chatter's buzz.

missing theBig 8: Remember '71, when Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado were 1,2, and 3 in the country? I started at CU in '72 when the best thing at Folsom Field was the Dead concert for a $3 dollar ticket. Still we beat Oklahoma that year, and Ralphie the buffalo took a crap on national tv. I still truly and completely hate those Corn People and their red RV's, but the world won't be the same. How I looked forward to visits from KU and KSU.........such lovely people, their wide eyes staring at the Rockies.

Tracee Hamilton: I barely do remember that, but those were the days. The Big 8 was a fun, fun time. I was 11, though, so not following the Dead at that time.

Fanhood, Part II: To the person who responded to my post from yesterday: I'm not against giving Shanny and Allen as much time as they need. I am against trading draft picks for aging veterans as this has been what has gotten the Redskins in trouble over the past two decades. I honestly don't really care who is in charge; I just want to see evidence of a competent management structure that is making sound decisions that will position the team to be successful for many years and not just luck into the playoffs every now and then. My taking a break from the team is more about trying to limit the emotional and psychological wounds suffered from rooting for this team and less about giving up on the team. I just need a break. It's probably not healthy to care that much about millionaire athletes who really have no effect on anything of consequence whatsoever, and at the end of the day, I've got to be cognizant of the fact that this is just a game, and I should probably treat it as such and place less importance on what happens in a silly game. So yeah, the days where I try to find a stream online to watch in horrible quality only to see stinker of a game are over for this season. We'll see what happens next season.

Tracee Hamilton: You don't have to justify your decision. My God, if we can't choose when to follow a sports team and when to stop, what is this world coming to? Being a fan isn't supposed to be 12 months of agony. Everyone has a different limit; you reached yours. Report back in six months and let us know how the experiment went.

elite NFL quarterbacks with Redskins O-line: I'm not defending McNabb, but how do you think Big Ben/Brady/Manning would do behind the Redskins' offensive line? I'm not being sarcastic. Would they do poorly also, or would they find a way to still succeed? Thanks.

Tracee Hamilton: I think they might do a bit better, at least Manning and Brady, because they are such machines. But I've seen all three play and am always amazed at how much time they have to throw, relative to what we've become accustomed to seeing with the Skins. Just think of Vick's time to throw Monday night. McNabb has gotten more time than Jason did last season, but not a ton more.

Your advice on how to safely approach Cheese Boy was spot-on (mostly).: Hi, Tracee! You astutely advised me the other day that, when approaching Cheese Boy, it's wise to proceed slowly, allow him to sniff one's hand to help him feel comfortable, and then scratch his pate. Well, as fate would have it, I ran into him at the park minutes later, and did all you suggested. But at the moment I went to scratch him, he sort of growled, and ran backwards awkwardly, while keeping a vigilant eye on me. I was kind of bummed, but then this lovely lady told me that he "had been skittish like that all day, and to not to take it personally." Next time, I'll have to let him come up to me at his own pace.

Tracee Hamilton: If he didn't bite, it was a job well done.

Pitt/Maryland: Any prediction on tonight's (basketball) game?

Tracee Hamilton: We've established I'm the world's worst picker, right? So ... I'll go with the Terps.

Sally's column today: I love Sal, but I think she misfired today. Ten grafs on how terrible McNabb is, and then two of the last four are "but they have no other options so hope for the best." Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to his faults, but this is only going to fuel those nitwits who think Sally thinks The Danny can't even tie his shoes properly. It might just be that I'm a glass-half-full guy and Sally is in a glass-half-empty mood, but it seems like kicking him when he's down or locking the barn door after the horse is out. Or somethin' equally folksy.

Tracee Hamilton: Nice folksy job. I know Sally well enough to know that she's not sitting around, looking for ways to attack Dan Snyder. That's what the Skins might think, but that's too easy. What she wrote is what she believes, and she's got the numbers to back it up. The problem is, once you've beaten on McNabb, and he's deserved it at times, you're left to write those "here's what they should do instead" graphs. And that's where you run into trouble. I'm not sure I would have done anything differently than they've done this season, vis a vis quarterback.

Fightin' words!: Whoa! Did Sally call it this morning or what? Her column was probably the roughest (read: most accurate) take on McNabb that I've seen so far. What do you think, Tracee?

Tracee Hamilton: Another take on Sally. This is what is great about columns: One person thinks you're a right, another thinks you're wrong. You can be both. You can be everything!My opinion: See above.

Lively?: I missed yesterday. . .what was so lively about it? Did someone say top o' the morning? Was there an uncivil debate about the iced coffee? Did Cheese Boy join you? Did you let your cat answer the questions? Was it a Kansas only affair? I always miss the good stuff!

Tracee Hamilton: Very funny. It was just lively. I don't know, lots and lots of questions and comments and stuff. Maybe I was the only one having fun, but I was!

Chad Dukes: I am not sure if you heard Chad's rant about the Redskins, which was Epic. I believe that this is how most Redskins fans feel: pretty much ripped off by the Redskins for 10 years. We get charged insanely high ticket prices, parking prices, and food prices in exchange for sitting in a terrible stadium to watch a fraud of a football team. The only person coming out on top in this scenario is Dan Snyder, who has gotten even richer as a result. Shall I just expect Snyder to jeittison Shanahan after a season or two, and then crank up the advertising machine for the next soon-to-failed coach, or do you think he is willing to give Shanahan some time to build a team, like 3 years. My bet is on the former.

Tracee Hamilton: I did hear a lot of Chad's rant, and I have to say it was great radio. It was really great to hear Lavar's additions in the background, very quietly, trying not to further enrage Chad but not shutting him up, either. Lavar handled it well. I don't think there is a fan out there who hasn't felt that level of frustration sometimes at his beloved team. I certainly could have had some screaming outbursts after a few NCAA tournament games I could mention. So I say good for Chad. I've heard people say it was faked or ginned up and I completely disagree with that. I think that was about as genuine as you get on the radio.And call me crazy, and someone will, but I think Snyder gives Shanahan some time. I really do.

V: Are you planning on waching this series, and what do you think of it?

Tracee Hamilton: Nope. Not into aliens, sci fi in general (with a few exceptions). I usually avoid that genre (The Event, that kind of thing).

FLIRTING WITH BECOMING A STEELERS FAN: Regarding yesterday's chatter who said he was thinking of becoming a Steelers fan ---- that could be a somewhat rocky relationship too! They give us an amazing combo of easy wins (Tampa), heart-stopping wins (Titans, Bengals), and stinkin' up the joint (Patriots). But on the other hand, the Rooneys are WAY better than Snyder, and Tomlin is a cool, cool coach. He's intense without shooting lasers out of his eyes.

Tracee Hamilton: Tomlin looks just like that actor. Drives me nuts I can never remember his name. But to the straying Skins fan, here is some advice...

Shows about Ghosts: Well, good morning, T-Ham! I Have to admit that I, too, dig a good ghost show once and awhile. Jason Hawes and the other do an excellent show. Have you seen the more relatively new show, "Ghost Adventures?" The leader seems a bit clownish, and frat-boy-is, and appears to like to incite the ghosts. What's your favorite "ghost show?" We, your readers, would enjoy knowing!

Tracee Hamilton: Oh, it's Ghost Hunters. As I said above, I like Ghost Adventures but I really like GH. The Alcatraz episode -- awesome.

Not a Caps fan, but...: Tracee: I am a Hurricanes fan who lives in this area. I have observed the Caps for years, and noticed that the one thing missing from this team was obvious: a goalie. They are, 3 years in a row now, getting knocked out of the playoffs because the other teams goalies have outplayed ours. My observation of Neuvirth after about 20 games, is that is over now. The Caps have found their goalie and I believe that this huge boundary is out of the way. Again, I am not a Caps fan, but I think the Caps may win the Cup this year.

Tracee Hamilton: Caps fans, take note. Yes, Neuvirth has been even better than expected, and they have sure needed him. It's a long slog till April, though.

newspapers: Ms. H: Your comment about the Post having to cut coverage calls this to mind - what's the tipping point? Less readers every year (I don't think my sons - 33, 27 and 23 - look at a newspaper more than one or two times a week) means more newspaper cutbacks, so less people read the paper, so cut backs again . . . I don't know where we're going, but I don't like it, although I would think sports coverage is one of the major reasons people (mostly male) still buy newspapers. AHG

Tracee Hamilton: AHG, you've hit the nail on the head. People are easing out of the print edition and onto the internet -- but some never will make that transition, and god bless them. So we have to figure out how to keep them happy while feeding the other beast and, oh, making money even though we make our money on advertising but we can't charge as much for it because we're losing readers. The newspaper business model is not for the faint of heart. The Post has always been a local paper at heart, and it is turning further in that direction, so I feel sports will always be an important component of its product. But your summation of the challenges faced is pretty much dead on.

Which Chat?: So TH, whose chat got more traffic on Tuesday, yours or the sex study chat? Let me guess..............

Tracee Hamilton: You know, I never get numbers, but by God, I want those!

The little things...: "Sleepless in Mount Vernon" just made my day... I am telecommuting from a Starbucks while my car is being repaired - all while being drowned in the booming Yuletide tidings of Josh Groban. Good form.

Tracee Hamilton: Excellent. Sounds very mellow.I made my first trip (I know, this is embarrassing) to Middleburg yesterday, by the way. Not sure why this sprang to mind but what a pretty place. Enjoyed that a lot. Although if that was commute I'd go nuts.

Le Bron?: I don't really follow the NBA. Did Le Bron bring his talents to South Beach or did he leave them in Cleveland? How are the Heat doing? I hope he fails miserably. Humility is a dying virtue in our culture and his "Decision" was the epitome of arrogant. I don't wish him ill personally. . .just that the Heat don't make the playoffs and the Cavaliers win the championship!

Tracee Hamilton: This was always the danger of this experiment, and I think a lot of people are enjoying the Heat's struggles. (I personally am feeling bad for Mario Chalmers, but that's just me.) I don't dislike LeBron particularly, but his complete overreaction to the very justified distaste of this summer's behavior has led me to just tune him out, on all occasions. I imagine by April they'll be firing on all cylinders but a little humility won't hurt them. As you asy, there's so little left anyway.

Harry Potter: Should I go to the 3:30am showing of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows" or not? I know this isn't a sports related question but I figured that if we can talk about your silken hair, then this is fair game too. :)

Tracee Hamilton: Oh boy, how bad do you want to see it? I'm against standing in line to see movies; I like to go when I'm the only one there. But that's just my anti-social self. If you find that kind of scene fun, then why not?

More Comcast: Nice answer - here's a follow up. Any insight on why the breakdown of ABC, ESPN, and any myriad ESPN varietals can lead to a regional NCAA football game on ABC and the mirror, out-of-region game being shipped to non-HD ESPN - while ESPN HD shows news loops for 3.5 hours? That's one I just can't figure out.

Tracee Hamilton: Nope, when you get into the ESPN programming mess, I'm lost as well. Just sitting back and waiting for The Ocho.

Ownership: We've had a bad spell of luck with sports teams owners around here recently. Ted Leonsis is the one exception and I hope someday he owns the Redskins and Nats too! Prior to Ted we had a trifecta of bad owners. I used to think that Jack Kent Cook wasn't the greatest owner but it turns out he was ideal! He was extremely wealthy, willing to spend money, listed to the sports pros on who to spend it on and otherwise kept his nose out of their business. Abe Pollin was cheap. The Lerners are cheap. The Danny certainly can't be called cheap but he's run the team like a fantasy league and has nothing but contempt for the professionals who have been building NFL winners since he was in grade school. The owners job is to sign the checks and hold the trophy if they win one. Period.

Tracee Hamilton: Mr. Cooke was in many ways the prototypical owner: Lavish hand to make his team first class, but let his football people make decisions, by and large. Not that he wasn't involved and put his opinions in, but he did listen and could be talked into and out of things. In other words, flexible when it counts. Considering that Dan Snyder was such a big fan of the history of the Redskins, I'm surprised he didn't try to emulate Mr. Cooke when he took over, instead of doing pretty much just the opposite.

I'm secure enough in my masculinity (relatively) to admit to my mancrush 2.0: Tracee, thank goodness this is anonymous. Months ago, I realized that I had a bit of a mancrush on Donovan McNabb, largely because he's so classy. That's kind of faded into a healthy respect. Now I think I've developed mancrush 2.0: Rajon Rondo. I don't even like the Celtics. Why this mancrush? I think it's because it's undeniably fun to say "Rajon Rondo." Is this not the funnest name to say in the NBA, if not all of professional athletics? Do you think something's wrong with me for this public admission?

Tracee Hamilton: Ah, the man crush. Yes, most of the reporters I know have them, too. It's good that men are now able to admit to man crushes without all the tee-heeing that used to accompany this phenomenon. Rondo is pretty spectacular, so he's a good choice. Quickly, I can't come up with a better name to say but lord knows someone will. Now, don't you feel better?

Re:Pitt/Maryland: Of course my husband will NOT be watching.

Tracee Hamilton: Goes without saying. Well, "Community" is on, and "Grey's Anatomy," and "30 Rock." He'll be fine.

McNabb: Of all the quarterbacks in the league with a higher QB rating that McNabb, only one has been sacked as much, and his name is Jay Cutler. This...combined with the fact that he was just a pro bowler last year...tells me that the Skins problem is not McNabb, its that their offensive linemen are generally old and don't know each other. I think this should be the focus of Redskins fans derision, not McNabb.

Tracee Hamilton: So noted. The line play has be a real problem, no question.

New NFL schedule: 18 games and two bye weeks? I'm guessing the Super Bowl will be immediately followed by March Madness?

Tracee Hamilton: What if they wedge the Super Bowl into the Sunday between the men's semifinals and finals? Good Lord, can you imagine? Actually, they want to use the long President's Day weekend, so that we can actually stay up till the end of the Super Bowl AND not have to go to work the next day. Instead, we can buy discount mattresses.

RE: those "here's what they should do instead" graphs: Well, opinions are like, um, belly buttons. Everybody's got one. Maybe the Skins should hire Bill Simmons to create something like his NBA trade machine.

Tracee Hamilton: That's the truth.

I disagree with Madame Jenkins: It's pretty much the same offensive line as we had last year, but compare Donovan's performance to Jason's. It's the offensive line. Too bad we can't trade McNabb to the Raiders and settle this question.

Tracee Hamilton: Ha! Well, anything can happen. Stay tuned!

Nationals Players: I never watched baseball until the Nationals came to town, so I've never been a fan of a winning team. I enjoy the games and develop a fondness for certain players. It really bothers mean when they get traded. Now it looks like Willingham and Dunn will both be gone in the near future. These guys are fun to watch when they are on a streak. Most teams don't go to the World Series, so they should keep the players we enjoy watching and not trade them away. Otherwise, there is no point in watching. Just my opinion.

Tracee Hamilton: Sadly, the days of a player sticking with one club for his career are nearly over. I think it does hurt baseball but that's a bell that can't be unrung.

One Play, Back to Chuck: I agree with the chatter that is taking a break from being a Skins fan. I started a similar break a few years ago. The Skins have not earned my investment of emotional energy for a long time. So they don't get it. I did switch from Chuck to see Vick throw the TD bomb on the first play and then went back to Chuck. It was a great decision.

Tracee Hamilton: I love that Sarah is going to go all Rambo to get him back, don't you? Should be fun.

Pats/Colts: Since these two teams play every year, why not just move it to Thanksgiving?

Tracee Hamilton: Because the Cowboys and Lions own Thanksgiving? I don't know. A lot of teams don't want that gig yearly.

College Football: I am not a conspiracy theorist full time, but the more I think about this one, the more I wonder???? Do you think the NCAA may drag their feet on this Cam Newton situation in order to try and salvage the dignity of the BCS? Auburn wins out, and Oregon wins out and the BCS has its as close to perfect scenario as it can get. Two major conference undefeated teams. You thrown out Newton, if he becomes ineligible, and what happens to Auburn's chances of a national title? Its a whole other problem though. I can't imagine Newton's status being cleared up before the Iron Bowl or even the SEC Championship. Would the BCS take them out of the title game if he's declared ineligible after they clinch a spot in the game? Wouldn't that create even more arguments for a playoff system? This is fascinating in the way a car wreck is. You are thankful you aren't the one hurt, but can't help but watch it anyway.

Tracee Hamilton: There's no way there is a resolution of this before the title game; things just move too slow. Not just the NCAA but investigations in general, by the FBI or whoever, they aren't going to care about that as a timeline. So the prospect of a vacated title is certainly a real one.

fastest gun: Tracee, you seem really quick in your responses. Is there anyone at the Post who can compete with your typing (or whatever we call it now) speed?

Tracee Hamilton: I am fast though not as accurate as I used to be. I used to be hell on wheels, typing wise.

Formerly Sec 114, Row E: The Nats are a joke. Rizzo is as much of a huckster as Kasten ever was. Yesterday he admits to cheese boy that he won't get us a #1 starter - his self admitted "#1 priority".What a joke, I knew months ago that Lee wouldn't come here and the rest of the free agents are bums (Pavano? De la Rosa?). And hey, we don't have enough prospects to trade for one without leaving the cupboards bare. Also, not news news.What a joke.

Tracee Hamilton: Running out of time today but you seemed to need to get that off your chest and that's what I'm hear for.

Jack Kent Cooke: Made the ultimate gutsy and correct decision: Stick with Joe Gibbs on Bobby Beathard's recommendation, even after and 0-5 start. This decision completely changed history for D.C. Sports. I don't think Dan Snyder is capable of this good judgment.

Tracee Hamilton: History would suggest not. We shall see.

UMD Field Hockey: I sent this in yesterday- how about some coverage of University of Maryland girl's field hockey team? They are rank number 1 in the country- and are playing this Saturday in the NCAA Semi-finals at College Park. Go Terps!

Tracee Hamilton: Sorry, again, out of time, but throwing this out there for the editors!

Cemetery Stuff: Was that cemetery experience you had in Stull, KS? I've always wondered about that place and the things people say about it. I don't like the idea that one of the few places in the world where the devil supposedly makes regular appearances is that close to Lawrence . . .

Tracee Hamilton: No, I've always wanted to go there. My experience is Hammer Cemetery in Lincoln County, and I'm quite sure the devil is not there. It's a pretty little cemetery. I love the old country cemeteries.

Montgomery Village, MD: TraceeSince I am sure and many of your chatters do read other sections of the Post besides the Sports section, I found 2 interesting items in the KOHL'S ad today. Page 2 featured a sale on 'Team wear" The sale prices were good on everything but " Dallas Cowboys and Championship wear". Huh ? On page 5 was an add for hoilday tree decorations that featured a miniature stocking ornament festoooned with the Kansas Jayhawk. Your "reach" is everywhere. Also, I liked writing "festooned"

Tracee Hamilton: I like reading festooned, and I like reading Kansas Jayhawk, so thanks!

NCAA Field hockey: U-Va. is in the other national semifinal. I demand equal time. Go Hoos!

Tracee Hamilton: Oh dear, sorry, here you go.

Emperors and clothes: thank God Sally has the guts to write the truth. Throwing the ball in the dirt on third down is not the fault of the O-line. Let's rebuild and enjoy.

Tracee Hamilton: I need to have Sally as a guest. I'll work on that.

Would you do that little pep rally dance?: Tracee, if you took your talents, to, say, the Chicago Trib, would you and 2 of their sports journalists do that pep rally dance, a la LeBron, Bosh, and D-Wade in front of throngs of readers? If you did, we'd still respect you!

Tracee Hamilton: Yes, I would. I'd have Wilbon and Kornheiser host a one-hour special edition of PTI in which I would witch for dead bodies and talk about my Kansas roots, and then I'd do a deep Nike commercial in which the voices in my head tell me that I am right and everyone else is wrong.Some of that previous paragraph is not necessarily true. I'll leave you to figure out which parts. Thanks for joining me this morning, and let's talk tomorrow.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile