First Things First -- Tracee Hamilton on the latest sports news

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Tracee Hamilton,Jason Reid
Wednesday, December 1, 2010; 9:30 AM

Every morning, Post columnist Tracee Hamilton discusses the most amazing and outrageous news from the world of sports.

Home page: The home page again calls this chat "sports." My guess is that the Dotcom Powers That Be think that Tracee will get more traffic if it's labeled "sports" than if it's labeled "First Things First," "Hamiltime!," or "Official Beverage Chat." Naturally WE all will show up even if it's labeled "Unimportant Things You Don't Care About," but the DPTB want more page views.

Tracee Hamilton: Sigh. Well, clearly I am all powerful since I was unable to solve that. Maybe they want something snappier. "Sports" is certainly snappier. More than likely, they want something shorter. Happily, I am shorter!And good morning, everyone! Just finished my last batch of peanut butter balls so I'm covered with a light chocolate coating. Yum! If anyone knows where you can get chocolate cooking bark in this town, lemme know. I had to import mine from Kansas again this year. Let's get started!

Hoyas!: How about a little love for the Hoyas stealing one out in KC last night?!?!? What a finish!

Tracee Hamilton: If you think I'm going to be sad that Georgetown beat Mizzou, think again! Sorry I didn't see it. Nice victory for the Hoyas, though. Their preseason schedule often doesn't allow them to get a "good victory," in terms of the tournament. Never too soon to start thinking about the tournament!

Trade news: Okay, this is a piece of Caps news I can get excited about right now: the trade for Hannan. I like Fleischmann but he had become expendable and Hannan helps this club a lot. Yay!

Tracee Hamilton: This is a good move and shows that this is not a complacent front office. It also sends the message that they are serious about getting playoff-ready. Good day for Caps fans, I think.Okay, there's a trend here. Let's see if we can find some not-so-good news.

The Wizards : How often do you deal with Michael Lee or Gene Wang? Has Mr. Lee ever been a guest on FTF, I want to say he has, are there any plans to have him on in the near future? He seem like a nice down to earth guy, and not as goofy as Ivan Carter who I remember covered the Wizards and is now on WPL.Also, how is your wing since coming out of the sling?

Tracee Hamilton: Geno more than Michael. Love working with both of them. Geno and I will be at Army-Navy in a few weeks. I should have Michael on. I promised guests and dropped the ball. Maybe I'll ask some of the beat guys to be substitute hosts when I head to Kansas in a few weeks. I take vacation in two chunks: May-June and December, so I've got two weeks coming up.My arm is pretty good. PT is now getting hard; I hurt like the devil last night when I got home so that's a good sign, I think. The behind-the-back motion will be the last to come; I think I have to touch my bra strap before they'll let me quit. Can't make it there yet but I can reach in my back pocket. That was a BIG day for me.

#22: what did you think of the Steinberg's post on Carlos Rogers-who basically blamed fans for the Skins' poor performance? To me, it pretty much exemplifies what is wrong with this team: we don't perform, and we blame someone else when we don't. And we don't get rid of those who don't perform.

Tracee Hamilton: Well, I thought that if Rogers wants to hear some cheering, he should catch one of those balls that hit his hands. He'd hear a roar then!It's bad form to blame your fans for anything. I do think the FedEx experience is not like the RFK experience but Rogers doesn't know that. If the fans were booing, I could see some criticism, because I don't like that. But give them something to cheer about! Other than that first drive and the aborted return, there wasn't much Sunday.

For the life of me, I can't picture Wilbon, Jenkins, Reid, or Cheese Guy doing this!: Hi there, Tracee! Please assure me that Cheese Fellow, J-Reid, Ms. Jenkins, Wise, Bos, or B-Svrl would not passive aggressively "bump" you en route to the bench, a la LeBron James. But should this happen, I trust that your response would be swift, resounding, and stern.

Tracee Hamilton: They'd never do that. My response would be swift, however, if someone did.

How sweet it is!: Georgetown 111, Missouri 102 in OT! I'm a Georgetown grad, but I'm sure you share my glee since Kansas fans detest all things Mizzou.

Tracee Hamilton: Yes, the Jayhawk Nation celebrates with you, no question.

Kudos to the Hoyas: I know JT2 hated scheduling ranked opponents before conference play began, but these games are sure fun for the fans. Now if this can just carry over into the playoffs. . . .

Tracee Hamilton: Yes, and as I said, he needs to schedule games like this. Helps the tournament seeding.

Caps: Hi Tracee: Pretty excited about the Caps' trade yesterday. Finally a stay at home defenseman! Will miss Flash, but I think this was a smart move by GMGM. Katie hearing any buzz from the locker room?

Tracee Hamilton: Looks like Katie's got a video chat at 1 p.m. I know those aren't so popular but if you can, check it out. I haven't see her since Friday and now they're on the road.

chocolate bark: I personally don't have any idea (I lean more toward peanut butter fudge with M&Ms) but there is a food chat this afternoon (it's usually at 1 pm) that could provide you with all the info you need. Or you could just call the food section people. They seem nice enough. And after the KS-MO discussion earlier, I'm sure you do cartwheels (shoulder permitting) anytime ANY Mizzou team loses.

Tracee Hamilton: Good idea re the food chat. I don't think I know a soul in the food section anymore; that's how much the Post has changed. I should remedy that.If you've never used bark, I highly recommend it for any chocolate coating jobs (pretzels, or in my case, peanut brittle to die for).

Adam Dunn: Boswell has indicated previously that he is definitely gone. Is there any explanation as to why this is? I know he is seeking a 4-year deal, but he has also stated he wants to stay here. He doesn't demand outrageous money (and arguably he is "money ball" type steal). This just doesn't make a lot sense to me...is it simply because the Nats dont see themselves being competitive until at least 2012?

Tracee Hamilton: I sat next to Boz during a hockey game on Friday and a football game on Sunday, so I'm up on the Dunn news. They didn't offer him enough money; it's as simple as that!

Thank you for indirectly supplying me with delicious pomegranates!: Hi, Ms. Hamiltime! There's no other explanation: my wife (yes, the same lady whom I feared might replace me with Rex Grossman at the critical moment, citing my stupidity and lack of cardiovascular endurance) must be a reader of Hamiltime! For she sliced open a pomegranate, popped out the juicy, mysterious seeds, and put them in a container, saying, "enjoy!" Thanks, Tracee. If you were a "fruit person," I'd gladly share some with you!

Tracee Hamilton: That's me, helping marriages all over the metro area. :)

Haven't heard much buzz on Sunday's Giants game: I guess the Redskins Nation is mentally preparing for next season.

Tracee Hamilton: That chat on Monday had the fewest Redskins questions of any chat I've ever done. I think some folks have clocked out and others just figure, why keep talking about this mess? If they win Sunday, though, that will change.

18 game NFL Season - is this suicide?: Tracee:I chuckled when reading the "new" name for FTF - it's the classic half-a-loaf decision. Whomever is making the decision misunderstood the story of Solomon and the two mothers. He just threatened to cut the child in half to compel the truth. This person actually cut the baby in half. Silly.My question for you concerns the proposal for an 18-game NFL regular season. The Skins' special teams coach was quoted last Sunday saying that about this time of year - after ten games and multiple injuries to starters - teams look around the locker room and wonder how to form teams. And this is with today's 16 game regular season. Won't this problem be exacerbated with more full-contact regular season games? If teams can't form good teams from today's injuried players how can the owners imagine they'll be able to do so when they experience even more injuries? And without good teams who will want to watch and, most important, spend money to support the NFL? Is this anything other than suicide?

Tracee Hamilton: It's a mistake to dilute your product too much, and the NFL is in danger of this. Of course, they will HAVE to expand rosters in order to make this work, because there is no doubt the union will not put the kibosh on this. The NFL union may be the weakest of the big four sports. Anyway, given that this is inevitable, I would expand the opening day rosters and the practice squad and then at the nine-game mark, expand them yet again to plug holes.

Ho-Ho-Ho: What is Bruce Allen asking Santa for Christmas?

Tracee Hamilton: A higher pick in the first round and more picks overall. That's what I'd be asking for.

RFK vs. FedEx: One difference between RFK and FedEx was that your couldn't buy tickets to RFK, you had to know a Skins fan. Today anybody with the ducats can head to StubHub.

Tracee Hamilton: freakin' early. This leads to drinking, which leads to the awful fights we saw Sunday. You didn't have as much of that at RFK because many people took the metro. I don't know, I'm still thinking about it but I'd sure like to see a DC stadium.

6 o'clock. Time for your sponge bath.: "6 o'clock, time for your sponge bath." "George, maybe there is something you can do for me. I haven't had anything all day. I can't eat this hospital food. Could you go down to the deli and get me a sandwich?" "Sure, ma-- - a little later." "Could you go now, I'm weak!" "Hold on, ma." "I can't understand why you can't do this for me!" "Here, have a tic tac." For my money, one of the funnier bits of dialogue in sit com history.

Tracee Hamilton: Last night, flipping around, I found this episode: "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." There is just something about stumbling on your favorite re-runs that make them more fun that just popping the DVD in, isn't there? I love that.

RE: Their preseason schedule often doesn't allow them to get a "good victory," in terms of the tournament. : What are you talking about? You are living int he past, lady. Since JTIII took over they have consistently had one of the toughest SOS year in and out. His dad may have feasted on the St Leo's of the world when the Hoops world was different, but you cannot accuse JTIII of that. they ran both Duke and Butler (yes both title participants last year) out of the gym last year in their non-conference part of their schedule.and this is the issue many Hoyas fans have with the post. you have no knowledge of the program because you barely cover it. There is no Hoyas Insider as there are for almost every other area school. I know the animosity between the Post and the Hoyas goes back some years, but please do not perpetuate it in this chat by slighting their SOS...

Tracee Hamilton: Um, okay. I have no animosity toward the Hoyas. I do wish their access rules weren't so stringent but they've always been that way. That's why there is no Hoyas Insider; when the beat reporters can't attend practice or talk to players, it makes it real hard to supply a blog.

Woof!: You should be able to find bark at a good ("fancy") grocery store, or any Williams-Sonoma-type joint. Also, some restaurant supply houses carry it, but if you're like me you get stuck in there for hours.

Tracee Hamilton: None at Giant, none at Magruders. I'm not talking about bark to eat, which is fancy and expensive. This is good ol' cooking bark and in Kansas you can get it at WalMart, Kroger, Dillon's, Duckwalls... It's hick bark, basically, but I love it.

Coach Fridge: I for one, frankly, that the Fridge was awarded coach of the year. Sure, the Terps had a nice season in a horrid ACC this year, but the Fridge hasn't been able to recruit or consistently put together winning seasons. Now there's no way they can get rid of him in the next three years. BAH HUMBUG.

Tracee Hamilton: You left out a word, but I gather you're not happy he got coach of the year. Yes, if you wanted to get rid of him, this season was not a good one for you.

Video Chats: Yeah, Video Chat + Work = not good. Not sure why the Post is going in that direction. Really kills the "interactive" part of the dialogue.

Tracee Hamilton: Ad revenue. Pretty simple.

What quarterback do/did you most enjoy getting sacked and going down in an utter heap?: Hi Tracee, and fellow readers! So, what current or former quarterbacks did you most enjoy seeing go down in a grotesque heap from a sack? For me, it was Phil Simms, no contest. I think it was his "6-shooter" move that drove me nuts. How about all of you?

Tracee Hamilton: John Elway, because I hated the Broncos. Anyone else?

Wizards games: This past weekend, I went to both a Wizards game, a Caps game, and a Redskins game. There is no question that Verizon has BY FAR the better game experience. Stadium is much easier to get in and out of, the fans (particularly at the Wiz game where they are relaxed) are child-friendly, it isn't freezing, and at least the Caps have hope. Is there anything that you think can be done about this at Fed Ex, or do we fans just need to accept "that's the way it is."

Tracee Hamilton: Re FedEx, I don't see a quick answer but I do hope something is done. I think there are fewer children at Skins games than there used to be, but that's just my observation, and anecdotal; I have no evidence. Has anyone else noticed this? I certainly hear from people who say they won't take their kids.

Quarterback Sack?: Troy Aikman, or any 'Boys' quarterback, for that matter! Romo, since he blindsided Jessica Simpson!

Tracee Hamilton: Ha!

wait, wait: So, pb balls, and looking for chocolate? Are you making buckeyes? Or do you in Kansas call them something different? I brought a batch to Thanksgiving and no one knew what they were. Growing up everyone's mom made them, I mean everyone one of them. But, I did grow up in Ohio. As for the chocolate, call Wegman's. If they don't have it, I'm sure the Sur la Table or Balducci's, Dean and Deluca do, but Wegman's is closer to you.

Tracee Hamilton: I don't know what buckeyes are either. Peanut butter balls are balls of pb and Rice Krispies dipped in chocolate. What's a buckeye?

Chocolate bark: I believe Trader Joes carries it. After all, they carry just about everything else a gal could want!

Tracee Hamilton: Yes, that's a good suggestion. I'll call them.

Yay! Hamiltime!: So I've spent the last two weeks in my beloved homeland of Texas, and while I was there I decided to take a break from all things computer, including this chat. It was a good break, but boy am I happy to be back! Stop! Hamiltime! Also, the Hannan trade is awesome.

Tracee Hamilton: Breaks are good. I think electronic breaks are especially good. But I'm very glad to have you back.

"...Kansas fans detest all things Mizzou.": Not a KU fan, but I lived in St. Louis for three years. I detest all things Missouri too, starting with the beer.

Tracee Hamilton: Ha! I have an uncle who lives in Missouri and hates it too! Not sure why that is.

Hotties: So me and the fellas were debating who the hottest sportscasterettes were in the DC area. The debate was lively, and Lindsay Czarniak of NBC prevailed in a close contest over comcast hotties Julie Donaldson and Kelli Johnson. So who in DC sports broadcasting is your favorite piece of man-candy? Chick Hernandez? Lavar Arrington? Ivan Carter? Mike Wise? CHEESE BOY?!

Tracee Hamilton: Oh, my, you don't expect me to answer that, do you? I'd never be able to go in a press box again. I will say that nearly all of the male reporters of all mediums are very nice fellows. That's what counts to me.

Two Things: T-Ham - Q1: Is the Post trying to hide your chat? Thought you were off all week when I checked for a listing on Monday, only to be pleasantly surprised to later see a transcript; then on Tuesday, saw the opportunity for a question in advance, could not think of one... And later could not find the transcript! Argh. Q2: Who can we write to in order to beg for a cessation of open comments left on articles? They are frequently meaningless, ad hominem attacks against the writer and/or other posters. A waste of the Post's space, IMO. Thanks Tracee! Pats Fan

Tracee Hamilton: I don't know what's going on with my chat this week. Maybe they're trying to tell me something. Sorry you had such problems. I would address remarks about the comments right to the editor, Marcus Brauchli.

O/T Posts: Love 'em! They keep me reading, e.g.k, during football season even t hough I'm not a huge football fan. You can always skp the questions in which you have nho interest. And clearly they are inappropriate in more serious chats, e.g., the Chandra Levy case or the earthquake in Haiti. Other than that, bring 'em on!

Tracee Hamilton: That's what I do when I read Hax or Tom or Lisa -- if the topic isn't what I'm interested in, I move to the next one. So simple!

If we were to join you and your family in Kansas, what would Iwe expect?: Tracee, I fully recognize and am at peace with the certainty that this would never happen, but if, for some reason, you invited all of us to join you for Thanksgiving in Kansas next year, what would we expect to find at the festive Hamiltime table? Also, what should we bring?

Tracee Hamilton: Well, if we were in Kansas, we'd have a ham and a meat loaf, scalloped potatoes, scalloped corn, rice, baked beans, green bean casserole, peas, corn, and crescent rolls. And probably ice cream for dessert because no one can agree on a pie. That's probably our Christmas menu too.

Tommy Transplant: I like to see him go down, and I think, "This one's for you, Bridget Moynahan!"

Tracee Hamilton: Very good.

"So, what current or former quarterbacks did you most enjoy seeing go down in a grotesque heap from a sack?": Well, it rhymes with Heisman. But just that once.

Tracee Hamilton: Ouch.

What QB I most enjoyed watching get sacked...: Troy Aikman...by Lavar Arrington. Second place: Danny White by Dexter Manley.

Tracee Hamilton: Another vote.

Bumping you: Don't know why, but I just thought of you in that 80's song "The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun" -- "so I shot her (with my good arm..."

Tracee Hamilton: That's pretty funny. Not sure I can shoot left-handed but I'd give it a shot. I have to learn to sight with my left eye now because I have a blind spot on my right eye, right in the middle, so no more shooting the traditional way.

Melting Chocolate: Why don't you use melting chocolate, which comes in white, milk, & dark? You know, the little discs? They taste quite good and should be available anyplace that sells Wilton cake pans & decorating supplies.

Tracee Hamilton: The bark just melts so much better. Pop it in the microwave and you're set. I've never burned it and I'm capable of burning anything. If it gets stiff, you just pop it back in for a few seconds. Man, I love that stuff.

Well, I thought that if Rogers wants to hear some cheering, he should catch one of those balls that hit his hands. He'd hear a roar then!: I can't remember who but one of the Sports Reporters said we should have a Carlos Rogers day at Fed Ex and everyone show up with bricks on their hands.

Tracee Hamilton: That's pretty good.

Derek Anderson's postgame meltdown : Tracee: I must have seen this four or five times and it's obvious Anderson had no idea that the Arizona Republic reporter was actually trying to help in. Jon Gruden had ripped Anderson on the broadcast for laughing and smiling on the sidelines and the reporter was trying to give him a chance to say something like, "I was laughing because sometimes when things go that badly, the only thing you can do to stay sane is laugh." Instead, Anderson went ballistic and stormed out. The guy had one terrific season with the Browns and then zip.

Tracee Hamilton: Yeah, he could have saved himself. Guys say stuff on the sidelines, and you're going to catch them making all kinds of facial expressions. I don't think it's particularly fair to jump on them because of it.

18 game season: As a Redskin season ticket holder I _want_ the 18 game season. That'll mean I only have to sell one preseason game instead of two. No one in the family wants to go to preseason games so we sell them. And at a loss too. I'd rather take a loss on one game instead of two.

Tracee Hamilton: That's an interesting reason, but I get it.

QB Sacks: Haynesworth on Jay Culter, via Chris Williams. Big Al managed to use one of the Bears' linemen to him down!

Tracee Hamilton: Another one.

Lack of Redskins Questions: I think Chad Dukes answered them all with his 12 minute rant. Nothing more really needs to be said. Have you heard his statements yet?

Tracee Hamilton: His rant after the Philly game? Yup, I heard it live in the car. That was some pretty good radio, I must say.

Beverage: So my wife, who doesn't know wine that well, was tasked with picking up a bottle for Thanksgiving. She comes home and tells me she got a nice French wine. I ask her what kind...a nice Bordeaux? No, its a red wine called "chilable' ". Curious, I investigated and found that it was a cheap wine called "chillable red", in other words, its a red so terrible that you have to refrigerate it before you can choke it down. I was reminded of the leg lamp scene in A Christmas Story: "Frah-Geee-Lay...well it must be Italian!!"

Tracee Hamilton: Our obligatory beverage post of the day, and it's pretty funny. I watched "A Christmas Story" the day I made popcorn balls. Love that movie!

Shanahan: I know some people are not happy with him but he is making progress. And, look at what is happening to the Broncos since they let him go. I am with you in saying be patient and give Mike a chance to do his thing.

Tracee Hamilton: Good call, I think.

John Wall: Any update on his health? This must be some bruise!!

Tracee Hamilton: Agreed. Thought I might catch the Wiz game Friday night; we'll see.

Bcukeyes!: Buckeys are balls of PB dipped in chocolate! They are the best thing ever!

Tracee Hamilton: Well, they do look like buckeyes. We just call 'em PB Balls. Maybe I'll start calling them buckeyes.

"Peanut butter balls are balls of pb and Rice Krispies dipped in chocolate. What's a buckeye?": It's a candy that seems really good during the fall--but when it leaves its native midwest and goes south in January, it's exposed as overrated.

Tracee Hamilton: Oh, nice!

Missouri Beer: Well, it's the dominant Anheuser-Busch family of weak, bitter swill. I used to drive down to Springfield to bring back cases of Shiner Bock.

Tracee Hamilton: That's certainly true. I lived in Springfield one summer. It was a pretty quiet town then but I hear it's grown quite a bit. Like most things.

Your cat could probably do this: Traceee, oddly, and shockingly, my poodle barked his way through to United Air domestic reservations. You see, I was on hold with their voice activated automated reservation system, when my dog kept going "RIH!! RIH!! RIH!!" (yes, he says "rih" as opposed to "woof"). Anyway, his "rih-ing" caused the voice activation to jump all the way to reservations! Has your cat "meowed" your way through something like this?

Tracee Hamilton: No, and I'll be speaking to both of them about this later. Why can't they ever pitch in around here?Actually, one of them had a tough Thanksgiving. Got locked in the bathroom and then had his tail shut in the back door. This is a cat who hasn't opened his mouth in 10 years and twice in one day he was screaming. Poor Doc. He's fine now.

Sacked quarterback?: That Dallas QB that threw a touchdown to beat the Redskins back in the 70s on Thanksgiving day. Don't remember his name, but boy did he ruin Thanksgiving dinner at our house...

Tracee Hamilton: Someone will remember.

Guess who has the most punts in the NFL?: you guessed it... the Redskins have 65 punts.Jacksonville has 35 punts (#32). The Giants have 40 punts (#29). Dallas has 42 punts (#27). Tampa Bay has 58 punts (#9).

Tracee Hamilton: Gack! (Did I just quote "Cathy"?)

Dallas QB: Clint Longley

Tracee Hamilton: Thanks!

Bark: In Annapolis you can get it at Mary's Kitchen at the Pennsylvania Dutch market. Only open Thursday through Saturday, though.

Tracee Hamilton: Thanks! Maybe Boz will pick some up for me. :)

Set up, like a bowling pin, knocked down, it gets to wearin' thin: Or we could be the lyric reference chat. Man, DCU just set Bennie Olsen up to take another fall for Kevin Payne and Dave Kaspar. The FO antics at DCU at times resemble the meltdowns at the Redskins or Vikes FOs. KP and DK have lived long past their use by dates. Just saying. I had season tickets from before the start of the first season and it is sad to see what has become of this once proud team. So, no question, just venting a bit and fitting in a lyric or two.

Tracee Hamilton: United was so good for so long that you'd have to look at the front office when assigning blame for the problems lately.

Holiday meals: I do TV dinners. I throw them in and wave em and I'm a brand new man. EZ and simple.

Tracee Hamilton: That's what I've done for about 22 Thanksgivings, because I always used to work it when I was an editor. I don't miss those.

Sister of the Poor: Why doesn't the Boise AD go on TV and challenge Ohio State to a game? Something a la the WWF. I mean it's preposterous for that OSU guy to say that. Anyway, it'd make for great TV.

Tracee Hamilton: The Boise president already gave them what-for. I like him a lot, by the way. Very sensible guy. I'm not saying Boise State could run the table in the SEC but I'd sure like to see them get a shot at some of these teams.

Chocolate: I hope you use dark chocolate because the milk chocolate balls are just too darn sweet. I love dark Reese's! White Reese's are absolutely sickeningly sweet!

Tracee Hamilton: Oh God, now we're going to be a Chocolate Chat, because I LOATHE dark chocolate.This is a good place to stop, before the Great Chocolate War of 2010 begins! I've run so far over it's not even funny! Remember this when I have to quit right at 10 tomorrow. Let's talk then!

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile