Outlook: Milbank declares February a Palin-free month

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Dana Milbank
Monday, January 24, 2011; 11:00 AM

Post op-ed columnist Dana Milbank discusses his Outlook article titled 'I'm declaring February a Palin-free month. Join me!'

Rocci Fisch: Please stand by.

Rocci Fisch: I'm declaring February a Palin-free month. Join me!

Rocci Fisch:

Rocci Fisch: thank you for staying with us.

Dana Milbank: So let us talk about everybody's favorite former governor of Alaska, Tony Knowles.

Palin-Free?: So, if for the next month you regulalry talk about "not talking about Sarah Palin", will that actually qualify for talking about Sarah Palin?

Dana Milbank:

How will you stop Fox News from mentioned her all the time???: I hope that everyone will join you, Dana, but as you can see from your own figures, isn't it true that FOX (Fixed Noise) commentators mentioned her WAY more than any other news or commentary did? How will you stop THEM from doing it? She is their "media darling"! If you could stop THEM, everyone else would stop I believe.

Dana Milbank:

Sarah Palin: Not a question but a thank you. Many of us are tired of hearing about her when there are so many news issues a million times more important than this woman who likes to stir up things to stay in the news. Enough is Enough. Thank You!

Dana Milbank: Any time, Gov. Pawlenty.

A Firm Resolution: Dana, will you forgive me for laughing at you for swearing off Sarah Palin on Sunday and then hosting a chat to discuss the aforementioned swearing off on Monday? And, will this mean you'll be talking about Sarah Palin 24-7 until 11:49 p.m. January 31?

Dana Milbank: And wait until you read my 80,000-word column on my Palin moratorium, to be published 12:01 a.m. on March 1.

Sarah Palin: Nobody even knows who you are or even care. You are not smart enough to talk about Sarah Palin.

Dana Milbank: The erudition of the Palin supporter never ceases to impress me.

Palin free month: I hope all journalists have read your column and vow to do the same! I just want to know what redeeming qualities that woman has that make people go weak in the knees.

Dana Milbank: Most have said it's a lovely idea but they'd prefer to keep their "clicks."

The obvious: I'm sure I'm not the first person to mention this, but doesn't a "Palin-free month" just feed the same problem? "Click here to see how reporters are refusing to discuss Sara Palin." That aside, I like your idea and am taking the Plain-free pledge.

Dana Milbank: Are you accusing me of employing a gimmick? Except for that video at Madame Tussauds...

Me Palin Sapporter : You big iddy it. U no nuthin. Pale in smart. You dum. We win. Yay!

Dana Milbank: Write on.

Secret author of "O": Would you write about Sarah Palin if we found out that she's the secret author of the novel "O"?

Dana Milbank: Unless you didn't like it, in which case I am not the secret author.

No Means No: And that means not saying "the former governor who shall not be named" either!

Dana Milbank: Tough crowd, this. Do I walk off the set?

Delay: We hope that Dana's belated arrival is not the result of his being set upon by crazed Palin groupies, beating him about the head and shoulders with elk antlers and caribou pelts. Sometimes a man attempting to carve a pathway to peace is greeted by hostile forces.

Dana Milbank: Now, now we are doing our best to remove violent rhetoric from the national discourse, including this chat. Palin and her supporters do not commit violence against anything but the English language.

Palin for President!!: What if Palin decides to announce her run for the presidency next month? Would you have to break your moratorium then?

Dana Milbank:

So what should be my stock answer when I am asked, on or after Feb. 1, a question about Palin?: Get all huffy and say "I told everyone that I wasn't going to talk about that!" And we'll all be reminded of the Connie Chung/Tanya Harding interview which was an hour of Connie asking Tanya about the Nancy Kerrigan knee-bashing incident, and Tanya responding with how she told everyone before the interview not to ask that question. At some point you'll have to cry.

Dana Milbank: I'll bring the Vicks vapo-rub on the set.

A Way out of your dilemna: During the month of February, when asked about the former mayor of Wasilla, just smile knowingly and say "I don't know". Even follow it up with a wink if you like. If the interviewer presses you to confirm your reticence just say "you betcha". Or you can swear off TV appearances and actually, you know, write political columns about stuff happens here in DC. Just a thought.

Dana Milbank: Say it ain't so, Joe!

Is this a Love-Hate thing or a Hate-Hate thing: This is actually a serious question. Clearly you're not a fan of Palin, yet she provides so much writing material for you. Do you ever feel grateful for her for providing so much fodder, or do you resent her even more for having to write so often about someone you dislike and don't respect.

Dana Milbank: There are also many pols that I respect but I don't write about them because they're just too boring.

Stock answer: "I would much rather talk about MICHAEL Palin. I mean, the guy is a comedic genius!"

Dana Milbank: That's what I'm talking about.

If asked...: Talking about your refusal to talk about Palin is not the same as talking about Palin. Clear?

Dana Milbank: But only after I exhaust my Michael Palin jokes.

Let's let Sarah be Sarah!!!: A few weeks ago I decided to apply "live and let live" concept to Sarah. I stopped reading about her and started using my clicker whenever she appeared on my TV screen. Life sans Sarah is not only goooooood, it comes with a lagniappe in the form of extra free time. Now I can buy and read your latest book...

Dana Milbank: You've doubled my sales!

Purpose: And what you are doing is significant why?

Dana Milbank: This is significant because she will be the next president of the United States.

History : Other than Obamania, can you think of any historical example that resembles the infatuation, loathing, and love Sarah Palin engenders? Is she sui generis?

Dana Milbank: Well, Dick Cheney got two out of the three.

Bipartisanship: Do you think Pailn will declare a Milbank-free month?

Dana Milbank: Not that I'm hurt by the unrequited attention or anything.

Poor Alaska: You do know this woman has single-handedly destroyed my desire to ever visit Alaska. And Northern Exposure was my favorite show!

Dana Milbank: Don't miss 'em.

In honor of Sarah: I think you should quit your moratorium half way through!

Dana Milbank: I would only do this in the most extreme circumstances. Such as a very lucrative speaking engagement.

So what should be my stock answer when I am asked, on or after Feb. 1, a question about Palin? : Talk about Bachmann, so we can make March a Bachmann-free month.

Dana Milbank: By March I'm going to talk about nothing but Kristi Noem.

What?: You're not even going to wish her a happy birthday next month? And demand to see her birth certificate at the same time.

Dana Milbank: As Eric Cantor won't say, that's crazy talk.

You respect Palin or you like her?: I can't see doing each one. You really respect her? Do you have to say that? Is it OK for you not to? I think it is.

Dana Milbank: Let's talk about Michael Palin.

Sorry, Dana Milbank -- I won't quit Sarah Palin : Jason Capehart demurs and declines your offer.Sorry, Dana Milbank -- I won't quit Sarah Palin

Dana Milbank:

How about this?: Are you able to mention the Honorable Gentlelady from Alaska during February? And, of course, by that, I do mean Jewel.

Dana Milbank: Another excellent answer and one I intend to use during those cold and lonely days of February.

Stock Answer: Do what everyone else does. Say you can't comment "because of ongoing litigation."

Dana Milbank: But I could say I can't comment because the matter is under investigation.

Palin Moratorium: Wouldn't it have been wiser to simply have your moratorium (which I agree with) rather than writing a Sunday column about it? Now Palin and her fans can point to you as someone willfully ignoring someone who might possibly make news this month. Better to truly ignore her and pass your plan on to other journalists in private.

Dana Milbank: And give up all these clicks?Thanks for chatting.

Palin free?: Does this mean we are also Dana Milbank-free?

Dana Milbank: She will be my methodone during my Palin moratorium.

© 2011 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile