Second Opinions

A Washington Post forum for views on health-care reform


Congress should not focus on how much preventive health care will cost, but on how much it will earn.
 
Congress must address the disparities between women and men in our health-care system.
 
One easy way to cut down on defensive medicine right now.
 
They're not just politically attractive -- they make sense in the real world.
 
Only 5 percent of what we in the health sector do actually provides value. The other 95 percent? Waste.
 
One significant collateral cost of not acting: maintaining the world's highest rate of incarceration
 
Discouraging unhealthy drinking and raising money for health care.
 
The famous clinic's performance is no 'mirage' -- and, yes, it can be copied.
 
To create a viable health-care bill, one chip on the table is medical malpractice reform. This is misguided.
 
Need to see a doctor? Log on.
 
Academic medical centers can anchor 'innovation zones' as we redesign America's health system.
 
Making insurance mandatory, and even making it more affordable, does not compel the uninsured to buy it.
 
The entire debate about health care is driven by the fact that Americans need so much care.
 
President Obama's address to Congress on health-care reform overlooked one of the most important issues: the poor state of health information technology.
 
Better ways to make health care more consistent without stifling innovation.
 
Some consider the public option essential, but, to paraphrase Al Gore, the federal government has always been better at steering than rowing.
 
The president would benefit from a phone call to Texas Gov. Rick Perry.
 
Forget the public option, it's how well Congress writes the ground rules that matters.
 
President Obama should focus on spurring innovative reform where it usually comes from -- the 50 states.
 
Whatever the virtues of the public option, if it is structured in the way most health care today is financed and delivered, it will only hasten the impending crisis.
 

Other Must-Read Health-Care Opinions
© 2009 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive