Von Brunn Still Bedridden, Attorney Says
Museum Shooting Suspect May Be Well Enough for Court Hearing Later This Month
Friday, July 10, 2009; 11:45 AM
James W. von Brunn, the suspect in last month's deadly shooting at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, is still bedridden and unable to appear in court, his attorney told a federal judge today.
Von Brunn, 88, is charged with fatally shooting museum security guard Stephen T. Johns as Johns opened the door for him. Another security guard returned fire, striking von Brunn in the face. Today's hearing was the second to be delayed because of von Brunn's condition.
A.J. Kramer, von Brunn's government-appointed attorney, said doctors at Greater Southeast Community Hospital believe his client should be well enough to attend a hearing later this month. U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Deborah Robinson set another hearing for July 30.
After the hearing, Kramer said he last spoke to his client Tuesday. Kramer said von Brunn is able to speak occasionally but still is "under constant care of the nurses and doctors" in a security ward for D.C. jail inmates.
Kramer said his client could not be transported to court because he has a tube in his throat.