» This Story:Read +| Comments

Jail guard recounts day of Md. inmate's death

Once focus of investigation, man gets approval from Pr. George's to resign

Discussion Policy
Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 23, 2009

Anthony McIntosh said he had never even heard of Ronnie L. White when he reported to work at the Prince George's County jail for an overtime shift as a guard on June 29, 2008.

This Story

That was the day that White, who had been charged with killing a Prince George's police officer, was found hanging by a bedsheet in his cell and McIntosh became the focus of a year-long criminal investigation.

In his first public accounting of what happened that morning, McIntosh said he was about two hours into his shift, which began at 7 a.m. on a Sunday, when he learned that the cellblock to which he was assigned was holding the high-profile inmate.

McIntosh, 45, explained that he lives in the Baltimore area and does not have easy access to the Washington area media, which had extensive coverage of the death of Cpl. Richard S. Findley. But he had never heard of Findley or White, he said, because he didn't see Washington television or newspapers in the two days between the officer's death and his shift.

About two hours after he began working, McIntosh said, a sergeant walked through his maximum-security cellblock, H-5, and mentioned White and Findley. White had been charged with running over Findley and dragging him to his death with a stolen truck. McIntosh said the sergeant's tone was conversational and not agitated or angry.

An hour and 15 minutes after talking to the sergeant, McIntosh said, he found White in his cell, hanging by a bedsheet; efforts to revive him failed. State medical examiners found that White died of asphyxiation and ruled the death a homicide.

In June, State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey said that unless new evidence emerges, he does not expect to charge anyone in White's death. A state police investigation concluded that White could have killed himself. White's mother, Angela White, has filed a civil lawsuit against McIntosh and two other guards, accusing them of killing White in an act of law enforcement vigilantism. Angela White's attorney, Bobby Henry, did not return calls.

McIntosh said he had no antipathy toward Ronnie White, despite the accusations. "It didn't matter," McIntosh said. "Everybody's going to be treated the same." He dismissed the revenge motive, saying he didn't know Findley and is not friends with any county police officers.

The interview with McIntosh occurred this week at his attorneys' offices in Upper Marlboro. The lawyers, Timothy Fitts and Clothilda Harvey, made McIntosh available because the corrections officer was trying to resign from his job and the county would not allow it. In an interview Thursday with The Washington Post, the county's public safety director said he had decided to accept McIntosh's resignation.

Fitts and Harvey said county officials were trying to force McIntosh to undergo an administrative hearing, which was scheduled for next week, in violation of the county's labor agreement. The attorneys said Prince George's officials wanted to be able to say that they had fired McIntosh, who has been on administrative leave with pay, pending an internal investigation since shortly after White's death.

Vernon Herron, the county public safety director, said he had ordered officials not to accept McIntosh's resignation because, after being on paid leave for more than a year, he thought McIntosh wanted to have a hearing. "In retrospect, I have decided to accept his resignation," Herron said.

McIntosh appeared for the interview in black-and-white checked slacks, a striped dress shirt and a gray tie. He is 5-foot-9 and weighs a little more than 200 pounds. A 1,000-page investigation into White's death by Maryland State Police said some co-workers called McIntosh "doughboy."

CONTINUED     1        >

» This Story:Read +| Comments

More in the Maryland Section

Blog: Maryland Moment

Blog: Md. Politics

Washington Post staff writers provide breaking news coverage of your county and state government.



Use Neighborhoods to learn about Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia communities.

Md. Congressional Primary

Election Results

Obama and McCain swept the region on February 12.

Facebook Twitter RSS
© 2009 The Washington Post Company